Kirbmarc wrote: free thoughtpolice wrote:
Still think, did you ever think, that Trump was not the lesser of two evils?
Trump is worse than Hillary if that is what you are asking in a typically roundabout way.
He's worse for exactly two reasons: a) he's much dumber, so he thinks he can outright break the rules and norms of politics with no repercussions, while Clinton is much better at bending the rules and exploiting them without outright breaking them and b)his political message is much more simplistic than Clinton's and he doesn't know how to compromise, he goes full tilt for every half-baked thought that passes in his head, while Clinton knows how to balance getting what she and her cronies want by keeping things intact enough not to upset the US system.
Both Trump and Clinton exploit stupid ideas, and both have corrupt and authoritarian tendencies, but Clinton is much better at keeping them in check enough not to clash with the current US system, and only act when she knows that she won't find any resistance (i.e. supporting limitations to freedom of speech by tying them to SocJus narratives instead of talking about building walls and muslim bans).
Clinton is probably smarter than Trump in many ways.... but smartness is pretty complex. She was obviously not smart enough to beat the second worst presidential candidate in history (the worst candidate being her). Just sayin.
Clinton's lies are worse than Trump's lies in some important ways. When Clinton lies about the wage gap, 70% of women and 30% of men in the entire country believe her. This is pretty destructive. When Trump lies about getting Mexico to pay for the wall, 15% of people think he means it literally. In Trump's case most people think that he is posturing and exaggerating. This is why people are not that upset that the wall is not technically a wall. Trump fans never thought he would do exactly what he said. Trump fans know he is preaching.... it is Trump's enemies that think he is being literal.
But really, I am so pleased at the results from the Trump presidency so far. He is doing 10 times better than I expected. Below is a list of stuff that is clearly better under Trump as compared to a Hillary presidency:
1) Redirection away from Title IX kangaroo courts in Universities
2) An end to the Federal Justice Department forcing racial quotes on police actions
3) A slow down of creeping EPA rules
4) A slow down of creeping FDA rules
5) Strong support for Israel
6) A fantastic income tax re-write (and I hope even part of it passes.... please, please, please)
7) Calling Muslim terror what it really is... and that's Muslim terror
8) I reduction of Muslim refugees into the US (Hillary promised to increase the number)
9) Challenging congress to do something regarding making health care truly less expensive and possibly block granting to the states
10) Potential to reduce the size and cost of agencies such as the Education Department etc.
11) Pulling out of the Paris Accord
12) Drawing attention to violent radical left groups like Antifa
13) Support for gays in general (which is a big deal for a Republican)
The things that worry me most are:
1) A push to keep pot illegal (and the idea that it is a gate-way drug)
2) Support for cops to keep property from innocent citizens
3) The risk that his volatility and tweeting cause some kind of international crisis
4) Some risk to free trade due to his wanting to renegotiate deals.
So, to me, on balance, he has been really quite good. I hate the fact that he has risky behaviors. This is what I dislike the most. He does tend to scare me some days.
Image a Hillary presidency. Many of the good things Trump is doing would be going in the opposite direction. More government mandates, more anti male and anti white bullshit, more pandering to radical Muslims, more growth in the Federal government (like paying for college). Really... there is almost nothing I liked about Hillary's policy positions.