Search found 9208 matches

by welch
Thu May 05, 2016 5:19 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Forget it Abbie, John has gone to his "I'm a huge cunt" place on this issue. He won't back down and won't admit he's wrong.

Classic Welch!

U+1F595
by welch
Thu May 05, 2016 5:18 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I've also said that if Abbie and other "proper" scientists don't like the fact that Scibabe has become one of the main faces of public science communication, especially in the food woo arena, that maybe they should get off their asses and fix that, if they really think it's a problem. Jesus fuck, w...
by welch
Wed May 04, 2016 7:12 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Yawn. when you get around to not talking out of your ass about what I said, strawmanning me and all the rest because I dared not suck Ph.D cock, I'll give a fuck. You won't admit you are wrong and you love to project this idea that it's everyone else that's strawmanning. You also always admit when ...
by welch
Wed May 04, 2016 7:11 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Yawn. when you get around to not talking out of your ass about what I said, strawmanning me and all the rest because I dared not suck Ph.D cock, I'll give a fuck. You won't admit you are wrong and you love to project this idea that it's everyone else that's strawmanning. You also always admit when ...
by welch
Wed May 04, 2016 6:47 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

At least we still have the Democratic Party to keep us amused. Bernie has been taking some good shots at Shillary lately. Not a good sign that she is 't sweeping him away by this point. This should be a juicy election cycle. once you get out of the South, Clinton's victories have been rather humdru...
by welch
Wed May 04, 2016 6:22 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Dude, she said something on twitter that was really stupid. Which EVERYONE on twitter has done. The response to that is "well, that was kind of fucking stupid"... That was fucking stupid, for the numerous reasons people have stated, and you've cried to distract from, including 1) mirroring the 'don...
by welch
Wed May 04, 2016 6:07 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Thank me later. http://i.imgur.com/j2jDWUn.jpg McCreight is about to have a Ph.D in an actual scientific field and is doing research. May even have a paper or two. Once she has the degree, how many papers does she need to have done valid work, and in what journal? Oh, and what's the citation count?
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 5:13 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

So when did D&D become a table top video game? 1987? Earlier? Which version are you talking about? I am looking at the new one. 5th edition. I remember reading through a copy of 3.5 and telling my friend that it seemed to be coping Vampire with it's powers but now it just seems over the top. They d...
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 5:10 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

So when did D&D become a table top video game? [youtube]daksqex8zUE[/youtube] Huzzah! I will have to check that out tonight. I was still actively playing with 3 and then quickly 3.5 came out but being poor and having poor friends and we all having lots of 2nd edition books (between between about 10...
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 5:04 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

comhcinc wrote:So when did D&D become a table top video game?
1987? Earlier? Which version are you talking about?
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:46 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:FFS Abbie, did you have to invoke the SteersWonderistWelch. He is never wrong, even when some level of subjectivity is concerned. He argues like a sack of wet cats and is ALWAYS dogmatic about it.
Honkie Please, I never wall of text like those two. I am at least capable of brevity.
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:44 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

That's just how Ohio looks, alas. I've never lived with chronic depression, but Ohio was the next best thing I suffer from lifelong depression and I've lived in Ohio my whole life. Pity me. It really is an armpit of a state. The sooner I win the Powerball and move to Maui the better. My wife's fami...
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:41 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Science is oddly elitist in comparison to other fields. Anyone who gets a degree related to civil engineering gets to call themselves an engineer. The only change comes with years of service, you might get to add principal in front of engineer, or move up and be Associate Engineer grade. My husband...
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:37 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Discovering supernovae does not require any detailed knowledge of stellar structure & evolution. Rather, it needs a completely different toolset (including an understanding of instrumentation, and access to the same) plus a good familiarity with the sky. This toolset is often posessed by 'amateur' ...
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:35 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Dude she was bitching about being addressed as 'SciBabe' instead of 'scientist', and suggested sexism was the reason for that. No problem with SciBabe. She do wat she do. But she is SciBabe, not a scientist. Y'all have a really funny way of not having a problem with what she does. But let me get th...
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:21 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Brive1987 wrote:Probably shaped like a potato.
Aren't most asteroids potato-shaped?
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:17 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Engineers eliminated the carburetor and made certain we couldn't fix our own cars anymore. In fact, they made sure authorized mechanics would take three tries to get it right. In FACT, if you work for Chrysler, JohnD, I may have to fly to Detroit and defecate on your lawn. Not really, but what the ...
by welch
Tue May 03, 2016 4:15 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Perhaps you are looking for an infallible way to correctly answer all the questions every facing mankind. Maybe you should look into religion. You're arguing with an engineer here not a scientist. It was engineers that told us we would all have hover cars by 1983, engineers told us that burning jet...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 7:07 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

You could argue that scientists engaged in highly abstract fields that are impossible to test - such as string theory - aren't scientists. If that field turns out to be a dead end then they have been indulging in a postmodern exercise in studying signifiers without a signified. Two points: First, i...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 6:04 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

But if you want to know why so many americans see science and scientists in such a poor light, the elitism isn't helping. I'd ask if you knew how most Americans view scientists, but the above claim already answered the question. I live in the south, and I used to live in the midwest. Since 2003, I'...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 5:57 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

But if you want to know why so many americans see science and scientists in such a poor light, the elitism isn't helping. Can I ask you if you consider an Olympic runner "elite"? And, also, just so we know your stance, do you consider being elite or elitism a bad thing? Being elite? no. That's (usu...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 5:46 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I already addressed you PhD concerns *shrug* You're also citing people who are dead. If you think the next advancement in lung cancer therapy is coming out of someone playing in their backyard on weekends, you're nuts. And if someone tells you they have a cure for lung cancer, and you don't immedia...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 4:31 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I already addressed you PhD concerns *shrug* You're also citing people who are dead. If you think the next advancement in lung cancer therapy is coming out of someone playing in their backyard on weekends, you're nuts. And if someone tells you they have a cure for lung cancer, and you don't immedia...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 4:20 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

The irony here, is how many people now jumping on the OMG Ph.D IS A REQUIREMENT were so very pissed when PZ/Laden/other superannuated holders of The Sacred Degree shat all over Abbie *solely* because she didn't have? A Ph.D. She'd published, but hey, no degree, Not A Scientist, Not Worth Listening T...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 4:17 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

And just to reiterate-- I have no problems with scicomm. SciBabe is the one who thinks SciComm<<<Scientist. Which is, again, a huge red flag. The best science journalist is unarguably Carl Zimmer. He has no advanced degrees. He has, however, proven over and over and over and over he is an accurate,...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 4:15 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

It's my understanding that Robert Evans, who holds the record in discovering the largest number of supernovae, doesn't have a science degree. Going further back, nor did Faraday, Edison or Mandel. It would appear that Faraday had almost less of a formal education than Edison, which is from what I c...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 4:12 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Welch, I knew my comparison was a mistake and yet still self destructively dove over the cliff. I think my latter comment is a better jab - 'even' Boon recognises that structured work in a peer recognised and peer engaged environment is key. There is a place, especially in formal or public facing c...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 4:06 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

By the way, unless you're in the rarified classic genre, which is very twattish, if you can play an instrument, you're a musician. and the definition of "instrument" is rather generous. Quite agree. This is all part of today's unfortunate obsession with credentials. Most fields now have a fixed car...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 4:03 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Again, why is it okay for Nye to call himself a science guy. What's the difference between his abuse of the word and hers. By the way, unless you're in the rarified classic genre, which is very twattish, if you can play an instrument, you're a musician. and the definition of "instrument" is rather ...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 3:17 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I saw the Boon article as an overview of different ideas with some interesting links. <quote removed due to software limitations> It is implicit that a PhD is generally required to gain traction within the "scientific community". Though I guess it may be possible to somehow avoid that cred and stil...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 2:48 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Dude she was bitching about being addressed as 'SciBabe' instead of 'scientist', and suggested sexism was the reason for that. No problem with SciBabe. She do wat she do. But she is SciBabe, not a scientist. Y'all have a really funny way of not having a problem with what she does. But let me get th...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 2:40 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I saw the Boon article as an overview of different ideas with some interesting links. But I quoted the articles conclusion and will do so again: Therefore the answer to 'what is a scientist' could simply be that you think like one by applying the scientific method. Not only that, you also work with...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 2:38 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Dude she was bitching about being addressed as 'SciBabe' instead of 'scientist', and suggested sexism was the reason for that. No problem with SciBabe. She do wat she do. But she is SciBabe, not a scientist. Y'all have a really funny way of not having a problem with what she does. But let me get th...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 2:30 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Therefore the answer to 'what is a scientist' could simply be that you think like one by applying the scientific method. Not only that, you also work within a scientific community, where your results and ideas are tested against the results and ideas of others working in the same field. http://www....
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 2:16 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Therefore the answer to 'what is a scientist' could simply be that you think like one by applying the scientific method. Not only that, you also work within a scientific community, where your results and ideas are tested against the results and ideas of others working in the same field. http://www....
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 1:48 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Dude she was bitching about being addressed as 'SciBabe' instead of 'scientist', and suggested sexism was the reason for that. No problem with SciBabe. She do wat she do. But she is SciBabe, not a scientist. Y'all have a really funny way of not having a problem with what she does. But let me get th...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 1:25 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Going viral should keep her new career as science dudette afloat, she thinks. Or hopes. Recently laid off from pesticide manufacturer Amvac Chemical Corp., she had been out of work and almost out of money. Now she was accepting paid speaking engagements and waiting to hear if a television series wo...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 1:13 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

But will the earth move? http://i.imgur.com/O3RQyr4.jpg I have the strong feeling Jen's use of "Dr" is going to be ....... http://i.imgur.com/l8YjlLc.jpg Funny how once she stopped living in PZ's world, she was able to remember that she's supposed to be doing science. You're more optimistic than I ...
by welch
Mon May 02, 2016 1:10 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Going viral should keep her new career as science dudette afloat, she thinks. Or hopes. Recently laid off from pesticide manufacturer Amvac Chemical Corp., she had been out of work and almost out of money. Now she was accepting paid speaking engagements and waiting to hear if a television series wo...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 7:11 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

http://i.imgur.com/GlqBBtA.jpg The only people I recognize on that panel are: 1) some cunt who banned me from his blog; 2) some dude who went to prison. Who needs these pathetic circle-jerks, when we have Slymestock? I would def. go to SlymeStock 2017. I expect, through sheer weight of numbers, it ...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 7:10 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

http://i.imgur.com/GlqBBtA.jpg The only people I recognize on that panel are: 1) some cunt who banned me from his blog; 2) some dude who went to prison. Who needs these pathetic circle-jerks, when we have Slymestock? I would def. go to SlymeStock 2017. I expect, through sheer weight of numbers, it ...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 7:08 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Brive1987 wrote:But will the earth move?

http://i.imgur.com/O3RQyr4.jpg


I have the strong feeling Jen's use of "Dr" is going to be .......

http://i.imgur.com/l8YjlLc.jpg
Funny how once she stopped living in PZ's world, she was able to remember that she's supposed to be doing science.
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 3:55 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I mean I'm not a hardcore libertarian by any means. I'm pro-gun control for instance. But I'm not convinced that head coverings are anywhere near as big a social concern as guns. If I'm wrong and there are stats that contradict this I'm open to changing my position. I'm broadly against the surveill...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 11:54 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Probably everyone but me knows already but as someone who's tried to pay as little attention as possible to the primary season what in the fuck are liberal progressives mad at Sanders over? I get why shallow SJW types would prefer the woman over the old white man (even if Hillary is also white and ...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 11:51 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I mean I'm not a hardcore libertarian by any means. I'm pro-gun control for instance. But I'm not convinced that head coverings are anywhere near as big a social concern as guns. If I'm wrong and there are stats that contradict this I'm open to changing my position. I'm broadly against the surveill...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 11:49 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I have no idea what to say. My SJW daughter has messaged me for the first time since the Paris attacks. No introduction, apology, hi how you doing. Straight in with a purity test , ' what are your views on the French Burkha law?'. I hate regressive left dogma with a passion. But I love my daughter ...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 11:41 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I have no idea what to say. My SJW daughter has messaged me for the first time since the Paris attacks. No introduction, apology, hi how you doing. Straight in with a purity test , ' what are your views on the French Burkha law?'. I hate regressive left dogma with a passion. But I love my daughter ...
by welch
Sun May 01, 2016 11:33 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

The arguments about toilets is finally fading out. But only because Steersman has become the new hot topic of the week. Probably worth asking whether post-menopausal women should have a separate toilet, apart from the real women. You can't call them women! I mean, with Muscato and Jenner corrupting...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:15 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Normally, I would agree with you about "unhelpful" and "definitional problem". But desperate times - Bruce Jenner and Dave Muscato and their ilk laying claim to the term - require desperate measures, so to speak. Like going back to first principles.
:doh:
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:50 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

A teenager transitions into adulthood, a woman doesn't transition into anything majorly new at menopause. She simply stops being fertile. I get the Steers perspective, I could understand a definition of "non functional female". But a car without an engine is still a car. Becky's zoom box didn't mor...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:49 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I am more interested in the truth than being right. As far as I am concerned my pwecious fee fees are of no consequence compared to that. I can not even recall saying "I told you so" when I am proven right. I also do not care who or what you are. If I was wrong when speaking what I believe to be tr...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:29 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

comhcinc wrote:
welch wrote:
At the extreme end, not a lot of gay, black, jewish liberal klansmen.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/d631pdfRasE/maxresdefault.jpg
I stand corrected...and want to join, because they are FABULOUS
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:49 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

He's someone who enjoys being a dick. Which is fun, let's be clear. There are times when being a dick is fun as HELL. But it can't be your only approach to the world, it just isn't terribly effective as the only tool in the toolbox. And there are times when I think encouraging Steerzo to go and shi...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Andrew did that once or twice, but the difference is, and why I respect him a LOT more than Steerzo even though I disagree with him almost constantly, is that when I showed him his sources didn't in fact agree with his point, his response was what you'd want. "Well...okay, so I have to do more rese...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:32 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Is he engaging or simply opening fire on them the exact same way he does here? Is he discussing with them, or just going in to fling verbiage and links at them to piss them off and see how long it takes him to get banned? Whenever I've seen Steers at work in another forum, he always been pretty muc...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:25 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

That's kind of where I am on it. There's never going to be unequivocal proof he existed or didn't, so it's all up to the individual. And most of the "problems" caused by Jesus aren't anything he did, it's all his fucking followers and the people who are against his followers. Fuck, stop being dicks...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:40 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Steersman may irritate the hell out of us for his dogmatic tenacity to some odd ideas, but he also runs out and engages with our common enemies on their home turf. I wouldn't want to discourage that. ;) Have to admit, this is why I can't loathe Steers - well, not wholly at least. If his obtuseness ...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:34 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I'd say Robert Eisenman, Markus Vinzent, and Herman Detering, to name three, qualify as "actually trained" scholars. The jibe at "internet voices" is fatuous, as everyone, Ehrman included, has an internet presence now. And the reason the historicity of Jesus is not debated -- read 'questioned'; the...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:29 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

I've got Netflix and I'm pretty sure they don't have any series where the main character is black, other than reruns of Luther from the BBC. House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, Marco Polo, Daredevil, Jessica Jones ... Luke Cage doesn't start until September. DS9. Not a Netflix show though. Tha...
by welch
Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:27 am
Forum: Past Misdeeds
Topic: The Refuge of the Toads
Replies: 72028
Views: 1967863

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Well, thanks for that. But maybe because I've been Googling "woman", going to a definition provided by one dictionary, and then going from there. However, even accepting the fact that some dictionary definitions for "female" utilize "can" Not "some" dictionary definitions. Every single one of the t...