Question

More fun than a liquid sodium enema

Is this place going to be:

Our new shiny friendly home, with a significant attempt at cleaner language and less invective.
10%
A place to just carry on exactly as before, but in a location that won't hurt Abbie.
34%
Sort of both - pull back just a bit on language and whatnot to not make us enemies of those who would be our allies.
26%
Something's going to happen; something wonderful. You see, it's all very clear to me now. The whole thing. It's wonderful.
24%
None of the above.
6%

Total votes: 50

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Question

Post by John Greg »

So, I am curious about what everyone feels this new locale is going to turn out to be.

Heintje

Re: Question

Post by Heintje »

Hi John,
Would rather have the voters remain anonymous? For the sake of disclosure, I voted #2. I don't post much myself, and even when I do, I don't use BAD WERDZ much. However, I'd hate to see frequent commenters, esp. Justicar and JCW, tone down their language here. Many of you have a flair with english language that I really enjoy, admire, and envy.

Darren

Post by Darren »

I voted #1... I was a little disapointed I was the only one so far. That said, I don't have a problem with "bad werdz" in and of themselves... but maybe less invective can help though.

Notung

Post by Notung »

I voted for 3, but could have voted for 1 or 4!

Malky

Post by Malky »

I am a long time lurker on ERV and very rarely post - I don't know how you people find the time! I do think the tone needed to be brought back a bit on ERV as it would put some people off commenting etc. I do not have issues with some of the bad language as being English I can't understand why cunt gets such a reaction in the US having grown up with it and bugger as part of my day to day language between school friends. I will try and contribute here but will be only occasionally as most of you deal with issues satisfactorily for me.

welch

Post by welch »

Heintje wrote:Hi John,
Would rather have the voters remain anonymous? For the sake of disclosure, I voted #2. I don't post much myself, and even when I do, I don't use BAD WERDZ much. However, I'd hate to see frequent commenters, esp. Justicar and JCW, tone down their language here. Many of you have a flair with english language that I really enjoy, admire, and envy.

Worry not :-)

GrafVonBek

Post by GrafVonBek »

Just a quick question to the ERV old hands. I've been a nameless lurker at ERV for a while and is the general consensus to use this board simply as a continuation of the original thread as of last night, or to try and broaden the scope?

From what I have seen, there are ideas and personalities that I would personally like to hear more of, but I would not like to see this board turning into a "one trick pony" in purely slating the FTB clowns. That would only lead to accusations of what could be a true outlet for freethought being hijacked by a single issue much like FTB. Just asking...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I voted none of the above, cause i'm a contrarian ass. But it will be whatever we make it, aslong as dissent and argument is valued it will be what it should be. The slimepit. It's good to have a forum, blogs were really starting to piss me off, back to the future!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

One of the things we have here is partitioning: I am too sanguine to believe there will be sanguinary posts, but I want to let people post without let or hindrance, hence the "Take It Outside!" forum.

Oh, and I like autoantonyms...

Optimus Primate

Post by Optimus Primate »

GrafVonBek wrote:Just a quick question to the ERV old hands. I've been a nameless lurker at ERV for a while and is the general consensus to use this board simply as a continuation of the original thread as of last night, or to try and broaden the scope?

From what I have seen, there are ideas and personalities that I would personally like to hear more of, but I would not like to see this board turning into a "one trick pony" in purely slating the FTB clowns. That would only lead to accusations of what could be a true outlet for freethought being hijacked by a single issue much like FTB. Just asking...
I think getting a general consensus out of this group is like pulling chicken teeth. Post what you like about what you like, though. I don't see any reason why we can't broaden the scope. If a topic takes root, it's worth exploring. If it doesn't, no harm, no foul.

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

Optimus Primate wrote:I think getting a general consensus out of this group is like pulling chicken teeth. Post what you like about what you like, though. I don't see any reason why we can't broaden the scope. If a topic takes root, it's worth exploring. If it doesn't, no harm, no foul.
Well, let's face it, getting us lot to agree on anything is like herding cats. Which is, actually, a good thing, I reckon.

GrafVonBek

Post by GrafVonBek »

Cool beans. Thanks for that.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Well I have a confession to make, I lied on my registration. I had to agree not to make abusive, obscene, vulgar or hateful posts. You've got no fucking chance. Oh and nothing sexually-orientated either. Basically if I stand by that list I might as well fuck off now. The only way I can carry on is if I stick to weegie slang and only converse with dustbubble as nobody else will have a scooby and I might get away with it.

GrafVonBek

Post by GrafVonBek »

bhoytony wrote:Well I have a confession to make, I lied on my registration. I had to agree not to make abusive, obscene, vulgar or hateful posts. You've got no fucking chance. Oh and nothing sexually-orientated either. Basically if I stand by that list I might as well fuck off now. The only way I can carry on is if I stick to weegie slang and only converse with dustbubble as nobody else will have a scooby and I might get away with it.
Au contraire, bhoytony. July - Glasgow's annual festival of religious harmony! ;-)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Bhoytony: don't sweat the boilerplate.

As Ian Dury once said:

Arseholes, bastards, fucking cunts and pricks!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Pee, po, belly, bum, drawers.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

I don't really have a problem with bad language except for that one word. And I recognise that it's personal choice. I choose it. No one else has to. And I like the 'robust' way you all discuss topics - I'm learning a great deal about myself as well as looking at other topics differently. There are some brilliant posters here, so I'm going to try and stay out of their way. :D

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I think that individual users can choose to have teh bad werdz show up as Nathan Hales instead of the naughty letters - check out your profile. I'll also take a look...

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

Oh cool! But I don't mind reading it, I just don't like to use it myself. Although I might change on that point too, after MKG's posts.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I was wrong - profanity (love that word!) has to be specified at the board level, and then it affects everyone.

So, no, no censorship here except for that one, terrible, terrible word. And no, I don't mean Belgium, swut or turlingdrome: a shiny new custom rank awaits the first poster that tickles my censorship gland...

Parge

Post by Parge »

Lsuoma wrote:a shiny new custom rank awaits the first poster that tickles my censorship gland...
Was that a challenge or are you flirting? I hope you'll excuse me, but I'll take Glaswegian patois over this sort of ham-fisted euphemism any day, thank you very much!

Horace

Post by Horace »

We can swear but we can't say that one word ?

cunt ? nigger ?

could you just say it once so we know ?

I don't think that I have ever sworn before but this is a point of principle.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

It's not a swear word as such. Brits who were at least teenagers in the late '60s are most likely to win the game...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

You're not having a go at Ricky Gervais are you?

Parge

Post by Parge »

It's not the word you're looking for but I thought this was pretty funny all the same.

"It's the Tories who have put the 'n' into cuts."