Pit getting filled in?

More fun than a liquid sodium enema
windy

Re: Pit getting filled in?

Post by windy »

Lsuoma wrote: I know I've been cranky at times, and suspicious and irritable, plus I pulled some dick moves, but I've really tried to give you folks a place to have fun and from time to time pierce a few bubbles that needed piercing.

I'll be around occasionally, but just don't expect me to be doing or saying much.
Take care of yourself, and all that.

Thanks for all the :cdc:

guest1001

Post by guest1001 »

Wish you all the best. Retire and recover, if that is what it takes.

This place is (has been) fun. The full spectrum of people represented it feels like.

first and last post.

G

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Thanks so very much for all your hard work, FT. "You don't know what you've got til it's gone."

I'm yet another here with generous amounts of personal experience of walking alongside the Black Dog, and I simply have to do the advice thing:
1) It can feel so good sometimes to make yourself feel even more sad. Do not listen to music that gives you sad feelings or memories.
2) Antidepressants are great for many people, including me.
3) They take several weeks to have an effect, and you can need to swap several times to find the best one. I had one where my winky went totally numb, so I could not do this: :cdc: .
4) This is all we have. There is nothing after life. Even if you're sitting in your shit-filled undies on a crackhouse couch, you're still experiencing the only life you will ever have. So don't kill yourself.
5) See 1) ad nauseam.

Take care, boss, it's been :bjarte:

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

I do wish you the best Lsuoma and while I hope to see you back, my experience from other sites are the healthy people are the ones who move on.

I'm in the midst of a three year depression stemming from the simultaneous layoff as well as a disastrous custody battle. I lost both. I wish I could say it gets better, but I've no real evidence of that.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Best wishes, Great Leader, and thanks for keeping the Pit open. I don't really have anything emotionally or intellectually significant to add to this thread, but it has been very nice to have a forum where one can discuss anything with others of a skeptical habit, without having to drop both one's sense of humor and the "skepticism" part, as the price of tribal admission.

Be well.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

SkepticalCat wrote:Sometimes I think that the fraction of people who have suffered from significant depression may even surpass 50%. It is soooo prevalant, and has affected me for about thirty years.

As others have stated, I have found that the only thing I can do on my own that seems to help is to exercise somewhat vigorously. I think the benefits are two-fold: you feel better about the fact that you willed yourself to exercise, and you get that tingly after-exercise feeling in your body that persists for a few hours, if you exert yourself sufficiently. Of course it is very difficult to exercise when you can barely drag yourself out of bed.

Anyway best of luck to you, hope you feel better very soon, and thanks so much for giving us a Safe Space for free expression. :clap:
I say this calls for a camping trip. Or cabin camping if that is his preference. Get out in nature. Get some sun light. Do a little light hiking. OK. Not a cure. But it can't hurt and is highly enjoyable.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Lsuoma wrote:Hi All

I may be filling in the Pit soon - I've been diagnosed with major depression, and hanging round the Pit is not really good for me, as far as I can tell.

I'll be pondering this for a few days, and let you know my thoughts. If I do decide to shut up shop, I'm more than happy to send a tarball of the web site, plus an export of the MySQL database to anyone who might want to pick it up.

Lsuoma
I hope things improve for you, Fascist Tit. Depression blows.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Good luck. Depression is a tough one, but just as it comes, it goes. And thanks for everything; the Pit has kept me sane over the past year.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

JacquesCuze wrote:I do wish you the best Lsuoma and while I hope to see you back, my experience from other sites are the healthy people are the ones who move on.

I'm in the midst of a three year depression stemming from the simultaneous layoff as well as a disastrous custody battle. I lost both. I wish I could say it gets better, but I've no real evidence of that.
I'm not going to get into my own personal history regarding depression but I did recently see a scene in a British TV show which made me consider the subject.
One of the main characters encountered a woman who was about to jump off the roof of a tall building.
It turns out that it was the first anniversary of her husband dying in front of her after a car accident.
He asked why she had waited a year to jump.
She answered; "Because everyone kept telling me it gets better. Well, you tell me. Does it?"
He didn't know what to say, and I thought for a bit how I might respond in such a situation.
In the end I decided that I might say; "I don't know. No-one can tell you that, but I can tell you that it doesn't get better if you jump".

For whatever it's worth.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I can fully understand what you're going through. I spent a whole day being sad, and it wasn't a good experience. I'm thankful that it has given me insight into the clinical condition though.

I give you an A+ as the pyt admin.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Za-zen wrote:I can fully understand what you're going through. I spent a whole day being sad, and it wasn't a good experience. I'm thankful that it has given me insight into the clinical condition though.

I give you an A+ as the pyt admin.
I see what you did there... :clap:

Still, isn't the treatment for depression to indulge in more of the behavior that caused it? The Melody Hensley School of Medicine recommends that. (almost wrote Moldy Hensley)...

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

http://i.imgur.com/nFFt4ll.jpg?1

One is a bit inactive and everything goes fascist tits up. /salute Lsuoma, 파시스트 백전백승의 강철의 령장. Get well, and I second everyone else already said x23. Also the part that we can shoot you a mail when something out of the ordinary happens. Have fun.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Add me to the list of well wishes FT. You made the 'pit happen and kept it ticking along pretty well, despite all the arseholes who post here. Take a break, take it easy and, with any luck, we'll still be here when you get back.

And it will be your shout.

Slipterid

Post by Slipterid »

Oh man, I too wish you very well, FT, and hope you can shake off the devils. Of course whatever you want to do with this place is your call TL;DR. Just get better. I shall be one of the habitual lurkers who will miss this place sorely if it goes, a beacon of sane insanity amongst the blah, I find that it lifts my spirits, gives me a lot of laughs, but I am sad that is does not do the same for you. Maybe if you did not have to do the spade work it would give you that lift.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I have nothing to offer but good wishes for you and unqualified support for your leave-of-absence/participation-if-you-choose/fill-it-in or any other decision you take regarding the Pit and its continuing existence.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Aw... POUNCE TUGS! Do what you gotta do to get better and don't worry about us. If the Pit needs to close for a while, so be it. Hope to see you back soon though, tanned, rested, and ready. Illegitimi non carborundum.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Here's a letter, I recently saw on WhyEvolutionIsTrue, that Stephen Fry wrote to someone, regarding depression:
Dear Facist Tit,
I’m so sorry to hear that life is getting you down at the moment. Goodness knows, it can be so tough when nothing seems to fit and little seems to be fulfilling. I’m not sure there’s any specific advice I can give that will help bring life back its savour. Although they mean well, it’s sometimes quite galling to be reminded how much people love you when you don’t love yourself that much.
I’ve found that it’s of some help to think of one’s moods and feelings about the world as being similar to weather:
Here are some obvious things about the weather:
It’s real.
You can’t change it by wishing it away.
If it’s dark and rainy it really is dark and rainy and you can’t alter it.
It might be dark and rainy for two weeks in a row.
BUT
It will be sunny one day.
It isn’t under one’s control as to when the sun comes out, but come out it will.
One day.
It really is the same with one’s moods, I think. The wrong approach is to believe that they are illusions. They are real. Depression, anxiety, listlessness - these are as real as the weather - AND EQUALLY NOT UNDER ONE’s CONTROL. Not one’s fault.
BUT
They will pass: they really will.
In the same way that one has to accept the weather, so one has to accept how one feels about life sometimes.
‘Today’s a crap day,’ is a perfectly realistic approach. It’s all about finding a kind of mental umbrella.
‘Hey-ho, it’s raining inside: it isn’t my fault and there’s nothing I can do about it, but sit it out. But the sun may well come out tomorrow and when it does, I shall take full advantage.’
I don’t know if any of that is of any use: it may not seem it, and if so, I’m sorry. I just thought I’d drop you a line to wish you well in your search to find a little more pleasure and purpose in life.
Very best wishes
(Signed)
Stephen Fry
... and here's a dick-splash:

:cdc:

Hope you're feeling better soon :)

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Running a forum as an admin is already tiring enough. If that forum is the target of a lot of SJW twattery, it's even worse. No wonder you need to take some rest! You've done some great job for free speech, so you more than deserve to take your time to get better.

I know you're planning to pass the torch, but even if you decided to shut down the Pit, let me just say that it's been a great ride, and I have my deepest respect. Which may not seem much from a random shmuck on the Net, I know, but rest assured that if we had met in real life, I'd offer you a beer or another drink of your choice.

The black dog is a rotten bitch, but sooner or later we all find out the strength to kick it in the teeth. Unless we're whiny SJW douches. Which you're definitely not.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Oh goody, does that mean we'll get an edit button now?

:bjarte:

Seriously - I'm really sorry to hear this man. Depression sucks ladyballs. But it will get better.

Would echo what others said about exercise. Although tablets help. ;) The only other thing I'd add would be eat a lot of fruit. Like, A LOT.

Soren

P.S. Thanks for running a brilliant forum - the best on the net!

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Thanks for all the great work you did, and do, FT.

I've definitely found that spending a lot of time on the internet reduces my quality of life and can seriously depress me. Do whatever you need to do for yourself to feel better.

[youtube]DNyKDI9pn0Q[/youtube]

:cdc:

ET Smash

Post by ET Smash »

Take care of you man. Depression and all forms there of are no joke. Get right and we will be here for you.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

I am echoing everything the folks here have already said. Many sincere thanks and well wishes for you.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Thanks for the work you've put into the pit, without you this small community, one of the best I've been a part of, would never have happened. Hope you get well soon. /Erik

Really?

Post by Really? »

Yes, Fascist Tit. We appreciate what you have given us and the skeptic/atheist/secular/whatthefuckever movement. We would love if the Pit would continue, but if you need a break, that's the most important thing.

I have my own problems...with depression and otherwise; I, for one, wouldn't begrudge you doing what you needed to do to feel healthy. (Or healthier.)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Sorry to hear you're unwell. Look after yourself, Tit.

Would hate the 'pit to close - I love it so! - and truly appreciate you've given me (and others) a safe place from the psychosis of social justice warriors.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Thank fuck, I say!

Take me out the back and shoot me but I for one was sick to the back teeth of following the Tit around with a notebook all day..... :x

Get well soon....

...(ish)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Just did my first session at the gym. Just 15 minutes on the treadmill and then 40 minutes on an elliptical. Felt good. I think, like lots of you recommended, getting back* into exercising will be good for me.

*When I was 18 I could cycle 40km in 50 minutes.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Lsuoma wrote:Just did my first session at the gym. Just 15 minutes on the treadmill and then 40 minutes on an elliptical. Felt good. I think, like lots of you recommended, getting back* into exercising will be good for me.

That's a good start. Get to other hobbies as well (like gaming, seems like the perfect time to become a hardcore gamer).

Hopefully I will begin physical therapy by mid-October and start working out again (after a two years hiatus). I need the distraction.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Very nice, Sir Tit.
*pom poms*

fwiw, starting after just a few days of taking it, and continuing daily since then, 5-10K IU/day of Vit D3 is giving me the best sleep I've had in years and years and maybe even decades. Very sound and very deep.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Lsuoma wrote:Just did my first session at the gym. Just 15 minutes on the treadmill and then 40 minutes on an elliptical. Felt good. I think, like lots of you recommended, getting back* into exercising will be good for me.

I've found the roughest part of a regular exercise program is simply putting on the shoes & shorts each day. It's the habit of getting out and doing it that is the most important.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Damn, couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the thread title. Even as an irregular visitor, it would make me sad to see this place go. As others noted though, your own well being takes priority.

I've had to deal with depression as well, and can vouch for some of the coping techniques I saw as I skimmed through the responses (exercise, activity outside the home). I will say though, it wasn't until after I experimented using some of my wife's fluoxetine (generic prozac) that I started to actually feel good. The side effects vary from person. If you're unlucky, it can fuck up your sex drive, but I'd still recommend seeing a doctor about a prescription, just to see what it can do for you.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

Bit late to the thread - sorry to hear about your diagnosis FT - hope you are able to take the time off you need.

Thanks to those who have stepped in to pick up the slack.

I've not posted here much, have been a longtime lurker more than anything. But this place, god help me, is my sanity check when debating the sjw silliness gets a bit too much for me. I hope it can persist. :)

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

FT, take care of yourself, that's job one.

You've been fantastic and one of the major reasons this place is so fun to hang around in.

Take all the time you need.

austin

Post by austin »

I've only been here a little while, but you are totally awesome. This job is a lot worse than herding cats I'm sure.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

austin wrote:I've only been here a little while, but you are totally awesome. This job is a lot worse than herding cats I'm sure.
I'd simply say "+1" to the above (as I also am new and this is totally awesome), but only if I knew whether we were talking about fuzzy or hairless cats being herded.

Gangaroos

Post by Gangaroos »

E'gads. Did I just get started when this was winding down?

/typical me

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Not to worry. We're still going strong.