Videogames

Double wank and shit chips
TedDahlberg

Re: Videogames

Post by TedDahlberg »

sinister wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:And I'm only five (out of twenty) story missions in. I haven't even gotten close to the actual goals of the game. I've had too much fun messing with the mechanics and enjoying the world.
Goals? There are goals? I can't stop trying my hand at taking out whole armies! I am 1 story mission in and on third tier powers. :lol: I blame ADHD.
Over my last two sessions with the game I've managed to get halfway across the map to where the next story mission is. Still haven't gotten to it because, well, killing orcs. Have unlocked all I can on the second tier of powers, and am a couple of red missions from getting to the third.

I think this game might have ruined other open world games for me. It'll be hard to go back to games populated by regular soulless NPCs. Will be interesting to see what people say when the new Assassin's Creed comes out.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Thinking of expending some shekels on Alien: Isolation. From what I've read of it so far, looks like it could actually be the Alien game to finally dispel the arse-prolapsing disappointment of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Tigzy wrote:Thinking of expending some shekels on Alien: Isolation. From what I've read of it so far, looks like it could actually be the Alien game to finally dispel the arse-prolapsing disappointment of Aliens: Colonial Marines.
The only substantial complaint I've heard about it is the save system. There are fixed save spots, and it's supposedly possible to save at a bad time and screw yourself. Seems like an interesting game though.

Unrelated, I'm now about halfway through Shadow of Mordor and still enjoying it. Killed four warchiefs in a row yesterday, after eliminating their bodyguards. Now there's a game that makes you feel powerful. Managed to stumble on three captains simultaneously last night, and managed to kill two of them while the third escaped. For someone who is usually Bad At Games, that's a great feeling. Especially since at the beginning of the game even one of the weaker captains could routinely kill me.

Tonight however will be dedicated to Fantasia: Music Evolved (provided it's unlocked by then). The demo was really fun. I like rhythm games, and I like flailing my arms like a maniac.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Pitchguest wrote:
rayshul wrote:Murdered: Soul Suspect is officially my favourite game ever.

(Adventure gamin'/puzzle solvin'/crime stuff is my bag.)
If you haven't played them yet, I suggest the Blackwell anthology of games. Designed in the old school type of adventure games (think Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father), it has a similar setup (you're a psychic with a ghost as your companion) and you solve crime as well as helping other ghosts to move on. They're good.
I have owned Blackwell, but am not a giant fan. The interaction between characters bores the shit out of me.

Fucking loving the new Sherlock though.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Pitchguest wrote:Okay, so I finally got around to play Murdered: Soul Suspect myself. Verdict? Not good.

While the premise drew me in, the rest of the game just wasn't that good. The scenery was decent, but not great. The gameplay was decent, but not as compelling as it seemed. The problem solving sort of reminded me of L.A. Noire in how you looked for clues and the way you found psychic traces on items (a new mechanic) I thought was interesting, but after a while it became repetetive. Ironically, in the same way like L.A. Noire. A shame, because I really thought it had potential.

A couple of things I thought was a nice touch. The game takes place in Salem, which has a bit of history during the late 1600's, and the bit of city you're exploring have these ghostly buildings and objects, remnants from the past. There's a part where you see a historical plaque of how a building was burnt to the ground for harbouring heretics (or something to that effect) and in the game in that spot you can see a ghostly building still burning. Ghosts can't pass through them but the people alive can. I thought that was very cool. Unfortunately the novelty of it quickly dissipates. Still, credit where credit's due. The other thing is how you can sometimes spot images of ghosts in the distance. There are other ghosts you can talk to and interact with, those are distinct. But at times you see these apparitions that disappear when you get too close to them or when you zoom in to get a better look. Truth be told, it startled the hell out of me the first time. It doesn't help that the ambience is eerie as hell. After a while I began to shudder just walking through the city, ghostly apparitions appearing and disappearing with the background music acting like a baby's whimper.

Anyway. Those were the things I thought were intriguing. The rest of the game, unfortunately, was not up to par.

The story, as it progresses, is dull. The main character is dull. The supporting characters are dull. Even the conclusion (which I won't reveal) is dull and, sadly, predictable. The NPC's that walk around the city to make it seem like stuff is happening don't do much, and they don't effect gameplay. You can read their minds. That's it. The small bit of the city that you can walk around in is so incredibly bleak and boring (perhaps to emphasise that you're dead) that it almost sucks the enjoyment out of playing. The developers tossed in these side-missions and collectibles, but honestly doing them all and collecting them all with the atmosphere being what it is, I just wanted to get it over with. And that's another quibble. If you ignore the side-missions and collectibles, the game is more or less 3 hours long. I am not kidding. That is not worth the price of admission. For someone who genuinely likes adventure games and puzzle solving (and who even liked L.A. Noire until it got silly), this was a disappointment.

I can't recommend it. Interesting concept but terrible execution. Instead, if you like the premise of ghosts solving crimes, I would once again say give the Blackwell series of games a try. You can get them either on Steam or on GoG.com - much better.
Oh gosh! I'm so surprised you didn't like it. But I found the ending absolutely fucking blew my mind. I'm still all WHAT YOU FUCKING OWNED MY BRAIN in the same way I felt after reading Orient Express for the first time. The dialogue I thought was amazing.

We did a fair few side missions and got the ghost stories (which creeped my fucking ass out).

I will say though that maybe this is just me that it appeals to - it fills every niche I like, covering the mystical (and able to scare me without making me freak right the fuck out). The gameplay with the demon things is the only issue I had.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Also really enjoying Shadow of Mordor. I've become very attached to these orcs, some of them we're trying to keep alive because we love 'em.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Okay, so I finally got around to play Murdered: Soul Suspect myself. Verdict? Not good.
That's a shame. I've heard some good things about The Vanishing of Ethan Carter though. I hope that's good, because that's a damn good title.
Have played most of the way through Ethan Carter but kind of lost interest... it's not the kind of puzzle I enjoy. More of a pick this shit up pick this shit up pick this shit up and now these connect up. I feel like part of it is that there's no one else around... I want someone to talk to.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

rayshul wrote:Also really enjoying Shadow of Mordor. I've become very attached to these orcs, some of them we're trying to keep alive because we love 'em.
19 hours in (with something like 52% completion) and still can't wait to play more. The mark of a good game in my book, because after twenty hours I'm usually more than happy to move on from most games.

As for keeping the orcs alive, I was really bummed out yesterday when I accidentally activated a branded captain and got him killed. I meant to keep him around to betray his warchief...

I love the fact that at this point the game has gone from me running around killing orc captains, to me running around turning them to my side and then trying to keep them alive. Which is turning out to be trickier than I thought.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

rayshul wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:
That's a shame. I've heard some good things about The Vanishing of Ethan Carter though. I hope that's good, because that's a damn good title.
Have played most of the way through Ethan Carter but kind of lost interest... it's not the kind of puzzle I enjoy. More of a pick this shit up pick this shit up pick this shit up and now these connect up. I feel like part of it is that there's no one else around... I want someone to talk to.
Yeah I watched a video of someone playing it, and there's no way I'd last more than half an hour before giving up on it. A shame, it seemed interesting. Still does really, only not my type of gameplay at all. Too much "exploring environments". That's fine up to a point, but then I want something interesting to do and, as you say, someone to talk to.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Played Shadows of Mordor, liked it a lot, even if it is a bit dirivitive it works and is fun. Also, Sunset Overdrive is fun, but getting good at grinding and switching takes practice. Lords of the Fallen is supposed to be a bit easier than Dark Souls, yet the very beginning of the game gives you a boss almost immediately, and using items is a bit of a pain, so I died quite a bit already. Getting switched to two weapons as a rogue, delays before dodging, not being able to equip my shield again (found it by accident)...frustrating. The first boss does seem relatively easy to kill, but you have to keep dodging and doing just a tiny bit of damage each time. Annoying. The game looks good, but having to get past that one so soon...not liking it (the tutorial is very short and they toss you in the water real fast). Forza Horizon 2 is a lot of fun - not a real racing fan but having it on the hard drive lets me switch and play a race or two in no time makes it fun. Evil Within - still not sure. Not a fan of survival horror games, but it looked interesting, but it's just been frustrating. The stealth so far is so-so - got caught a few times and still not sure how or why.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Have played about an hour and a half of Sunset Overdrive. Was not overly impressed for the first hour or so, but that final half hour I spent grinding and jumping about the city without any mission, and that was actually fun. I even somewhat got the hang of shooting things while moving, although I think it's too easy to run out of ammo. In the end I suspect my enjoyment of the game will largely depend on the number of timed defense missions (and timed missions overall) like the one in the tutorial early on. That simply is more annoying than fun.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

So - I got Alien Isolation. Verdict - it's fucking fantastic, as long as you give it a chance.

I'll admit, when I started playing it, there was some disappointment. It was...meh. Beautiful to look at (more on that in a minute), but y'know - just going around, collecting shit, and when the alien finally becomes part of the action, it's 'WTF??? The fucker just came out of nowhere! Thanks for giving me a chance, ya bastod!' And then there were the save points. Nope, you can't just save willy-nilly - you have to find the proper stations to do so.

Now, I wasn't thinking that this game was an out-and-out turd - but it was proving less impressive than the largely positive views were stating. But then - I played more, and found that there's a method to it all which makes for a fucking EXCELLENT game once you kinda get the hang of it.

First off - you have to make sure your speakers are turned up loud and clear. You'll start to hear certain noises which suggest that the alien is nearby - coupled with certain game mechanics (such as gunfire, excessive player and NPC noise) which will attract the attention of the alien as it roams through the ventilation ducts, so you'll be aware of when you have to creep rather than walk, as well as keeping an eye out for good hiding places.

Secondly - understand that the things which can help you can also hinder you. The motion tracker, for instance: damn good for giving you an idea of where the nasties might be. But the bastard bleeps, and if anything is nearby - the alien, synthetics, hostile humans - they'll hear it, and probably come looking for you. Guns - useful for dispatching humans and synthetics, but completely useless against the one creature liable to get right on your tail if it hears those shots. This 'equal and opposite reaction' thing makes for some seriously challenging but very satisfying gameplay.

Thirdly - ah fuck it, I won't spoil it. Just be creative. Do shit that you'd usually think, 'Nah, that wouldn't work in a game' - because there's a reasonable chance it'll get you out of a tight spot.

The savepoints, which some people have been pissed about, actually add to the gameplay. Getting to a successful savepoint after a nerve-wracking evasion of the alien - it's like getting a decent reward for good gameplay. Well, I like it, but YMMV and all that.

The atmosphere is just fucking great. In terms of visuals and sound, this isn't Aliens, but the Ridley Scott original. Everything has that dirty, early 1980s-future look to it: CRT computer terminals with monochrome green 8-bit displays; computer banks with reel-to-reel tape storage. Your own HUD actually has cinematic film grain and chromatic aberration if you want it - and I've found it's really immersive, in the sense of actually being in the original Alien film. The rendering on the humans, robots and the alien features a very neat subsurface scattering effect (never seen this in realtime graphics before), which really comes into its own with regard to the alien - this thing actually looks 'fleshy', which is - well, just a bit fucking cool. Framerate remains impressively smooth throughout, too.

So yeah, I like this game a shit ton. It has some downers, though: as I said, there's a lot of dull WTFery at the start, and the movements and attacks of the alien initially seem arbitrary, so you have to give it time to get the best out of it. Also, the voice acting and facial animation of the NPCs is just fucking dire. Really bad - I've seen better emoting in old PS2 games. When I first encountered the NPCs, I figured Ripley had been sent into space with a crew of Weyland-Yutani synthetics. But no, these were humans apparently.

Other than that, however - it's a blast. Nerve wracking as fuck, though - it was either just dumb luck or misfortune that I happened to be hiding under the very table that the alien landed on with a thud, hissing, as it dropped out of a ventilation shaft above. Given that the alien is a free-roaming AI, this'll probably never happen again in another playthrough of the game.

Fucking amazing.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Now I'm even more excited about playing it. Thing is I'm saving money and games currently, while I hate to admit it, are not the priority. But it's on my wish list. I figure I should wait until it's on sale. Besides you know after a while it's going to have like a special edition with all the DLC's included, which right now you have to buy seperately.

Expect I'll pounce on the first special available. Anything to wash the bad taste of Aliens: Colonial Marines out of my mouth. Ptooie!

Top three games on my wish list:

1. Witcher 3
2. Alien Isolation
3. Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor (still haven't bought the full game)

A fourth game is Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments (because I'm a huge adventure game enthusiast)

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

So Dragon Age Inquisition came out, and I've played maybe six or seven hours of it (it does the annoying thing of keeping track of your play time, but not pausing while the game is suspended, so I can't say how long I've actually played for). First of all, it's a decent game. Second, it's freaking huge. I've spent my time so far in the starting area, and I haven't done all there is to do there yet. Before I quit last night I opened up a second area just to see what it was like, and it looks to be just as big as the first. This game will take a while.

I especially appreciate that the map does exactly what I want in a game of this size; all quest markers (as well as landmarks, nearby quest givers etc.) show up on it, and you can simply select one to make that your current quest. So you can pick up a bunch of quests (and there are a lot of them) and then run around picking them off one by one without wondering where you should go next. A bit mechanical perhaps, but the game is big enough without making it artificially longer, and you still get to explore and find new things while traveling between quest markers.

And the world you travel through looks really good. Like in a lot of games recently, the developers seem to have discovered a colour spectrum beyond grey and brown. There are ruins and buildings dotted around the landscape that make you want to go out of your way to explore them. The world is big, but dense. No matter where you are, it feels like there are things to do and see. And so far the landscape has not seemed repetitive. Looks like they learned their lesson form people's reaction to Dragon Age II.

TL;DR: It's a pretty good game with a lot of stuff to do.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Very late input on the above, but yeah, Bioware was so aware of the vastness of the starting area of Dragon Age Inquisition they went so far as to remind players on Twitter that actually there are more places to discover and maybe you shouldn't spend so much time there. So that's good advice for anyone who wants to play it for the first time: Hinterlands, leave it as soon as possible.

Anyway. Since I'm usually very late playing games (comes with being very stingy with money) and I had put off playing Shadowrun Returns despite it having been in my library for a while now, I decided, screw it, I'm going try this fucker out. Turns out, pretty damn good decision on my part! As a huge fan of the Shadowrun for the SNES and the Genesis, this was my kind of game. So much fun! I think this is going to occupy me for quite some time.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Anyone looking forward to Galactic Civ3 to come out? I'm not a big gamer, but I like to play a few PC strategy games on occasion. Despite some annoyances in GC2, I very much enjoyed that game and I look forward to its sequel.
http://www.galciv3.com/

It turns out that SJWs don't want me to enjoy GC3.
SJWs boycott Stardock

If they had their way, I won't get games like GC3 and I'd only get to play with stuff like "Depression Quest" or other things they deem politically acceptable.

I very much look forward to getting GC2 now. Not only will I probably enjoy a decent game, but I'll be making a small contribution to thwart far left demagoguery. I wonder if the ad slogan "Stick it to an SJW by buying GC3" would helps its sales?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

If any of you fuckers haven't played The Talos Principle you need to rectify that immediately.

...and nothing more

Post by ...and nothing more »

Going to attempt to resuscitate ( don't worry, compression only, no lips ) this thread.

Has anyone here been playing Star Wars : Battlefront ? I bought it partially due to SW hysteria affliction back in December, but after 40 hours of play, I think it was a solid decision. Visually it's a beautiful game, particularly Endor and Hoth, and the maps are impressive. The centrality of hip fire as opposed to down the barrell aiming definitely took some getting used to. The only FPS series I've played over the past few years has been COD and it felt weird/awkward firing without zooming first; although now that I've gotten somewhat used to it, things aren't as frustrating. I only really play Supremacy, although I occasionally throw in a few games of Fighter Squadron. Everything comes together quite nicely imo, and between vehicles, hero power ups and grounded weapons/turrets there's plenty of variety in tactics / things never really get repetitive. I hope they release more DLC maps; downloaded Battle of Jakku which is quite good but would like to eventually see more. I've a few issues with the aerial combat. Firstly, the A-wings/ X-wings have a pretty substantial advantage over the Tie Fighters and Interceptors due to the latter's lack of shields. You can wrack up a good number of kills playing as the Rebels by just going head on with Ties and putting up your shields while simultaneously launching a flurry of laser fire/torpedoes. I'm not sure if this advantage was intentionally put in to compensate for the AT-STs you get when playing as the Imperials, but in the end it all balances up fairly evenly I guess. Aside from that, the inability to look around the cockpit is annoying; it would be really convenient if they'd assigned at least two of the d-pad arrows so you could look left/right out your window to see what's going on; you were able to do it in the Rogue Leader series for the Gamecube and I wish they'd added here.

Aside from that Dark Souls has gotten its seductive claws into me again. I got Scholar of the First Sin around Christmas and have been Soul Arrowing may through Drangleic for the past few weeks. I decided to deviate from my preferred approach for action RPGs, which is to go with the knight/warrior character, find a bad ass heavy weapon / set of armour, juice the defense stats, upgrade everything and hack and slash my way through the entire game. Maybe it's the fact that I finished Dark Souls 2 before, but things seemed to go much more smoothly this time, and when DS3 comes out in April I'll definitely be sticking with sorcery as opposed to H2H. That being said, I still died of course. Again and again and again...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'm enjoying Battlefront too. I admit, I had the problem of the sound cutting out, but this appears to have been rectified since I updated my drivers. I find the ground battles pretty tough, largely because I'm using a controller rather than the mouse (cos I'm playing the PC version) and therefore don't have the precision of mouse aiming. That said, I've found a pretty decent weapon and card set which generally allows me to get a few decent kills in, and the immersion...is just fantastic. Amazing.

Fighter Squadron, though - I love it. Ironically, this works better with the controller and as such, I usually find myself in the top three of my respective Empire & Rebel end-of-game rankings. True, the A-Wing is massively OP, but the X-Wing not much so - its larger physical profile means it gets hit pretty easily by the guns of a pursuing enemy, and if you don't evade quickly, the ship is toast. Despite people moaning about the TIEs, I actually find them more fun to fight with. They're as fast as hell, pretty damn maneouverable and provide a pretty good opportunity to practice your evasion skills. True, chances are you'll get shot down a lot, but there's something uniquely satisfying about putting in a good TIE performance, given the weaknesses of the craft.

Certainly curious about the upcoming maps - I understand one of them will be set on the Death Star. If this includes the trench for Fighter Squadron, then holy fucking shit, that would be the dogs bollocks. Pity there doesn't appear to be anything like the asteroid field from ESB in the offing, though - it seems weird that there's no real outer-space action for Fighter Squadron.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I haven't played Battlefront but I'm loving the aesthethics. It's a seriously good looking game. Unfortunately, people say it lacks features that made the original Battlefront games great and that makes me worry. I mean, I'd hate for it to become the Star Wars equivalent of Order 1886 which was a stunning game - the lanterns in that game and how the rain gently trickles against it, it's the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game. But it was a very boring game. Gameplay wise it played like any other third person shooter, and considering the effort they made making that game look absolutely beautiful, it was disappointing when the rest of it didn't match.

Anyway. Speaking of Dark Souls, I've been binging Bloodborne lately. And I have to say, I love it. I haven't played any of the other Souls games but now I kind of want to try them all out. Having looked at footage from Dark Souls 2, though, I'm pretty sure that Bloodborne is more simplified in its approach. There are no rings that you have to equip to traverse certain areas and you don't lose a portion of your health everytime you die. There's also this thing about weight being applied to your character that makes your character dodge more slowly than it does in Bloodborne, where there is no such thing as weight and the outfit your wear doesn't really affect your character apart from certain resistances and I'd even say that is negligible.

There's also the shields which in Bloodborne is essentially a joke. I think I might have some trouble transitioning between the two. :think:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Pitchguest wrote:I haven't played Battlefront but I'm loving the aesthethics. It's a seriously good looking game. Unfortunately, people say it lacks features that made the original Battlefront games great and that makes me worry. I mean, I'd hate for it to become the Star Wars equivalent of Order 1886 which was a stunning game - the lanterns in that game and how the rain gently trickles against it, it's the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game. But it was a very boring game. Gameplay wise it played like any other third person shooter, and considering the effort they made making that game look absolutely beautiful, it was disappointing when the rest of it didn't match.
Yeah, one of the biggest losses in this latest Battlefront is the lack of a single-player campaign mode. That said, there's a reasonably enjoyable (though samey) set of single player offline missions plus a pretty damn good survival mode too. But the lack of a big, single player story to get involved with is a weakness, to say the least.

However, all the online stuff is mad fun - it's fair to say that this game was designed for multiplayer in mind and, despite the occasional problems with aimbotters and unbalanced gameplay (particularly in Fighter Squadron with regard to the A-Wings), it really doesn't let you down in this respect. I tell you, charging off into the battlefield with a ton of stormtroopers or howling alien rebels by your side...it's just bliss. And Star Wars bliss at that.

Graphically, my system only just scraped by on the minimum requirements - and it still looks friggin amazing, runs smooth and is as fast as hell.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tigzy wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:I haven't played Battlefront but I'm loving the aesthethics. It's a seriously good looking game. Unfortunately, people say it lacks features that made the original Battlefront games great and that makes me worry. I mean, I'd hate for it to become the Star Wars equivalent of Order 1886 which was a stunning game - the lanterns in that game and how the rain gently trickles against it, it's the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game. But it was a very boring game. Gameplay wise it played like any other third person shooter, and considering the effort they made making that game look absolutely beautiful, it was disappointing when the rest of it didn't match.
Yeah, one of the biggest losses in this latest Battlefront is the lack of a single-player campaign mode. That said, there's a reasonably enjoyable (though samey) set of single player offline missions plus a pretty damn good survival mode too. But the lack of a big, single player story to get involved with is a weakness, to say the least.

However, all the online stuff is mad fun - it's fair to say that this game was designed for multiplayer in mind and, despite the occasional problems with aimbotters and unbalanced gameplay (particularly in Fighter Squadron with regard to the A-Wings), it really doesn't let you down in this respect. I tell you, charging off into the battlefield with a ton of stormtroopers or howling alien rebels by your side...it's just bliss. And Star Wars bliss at that.

Graphically, my system only just scraped by on the minimum requirements - and it still looks friggin amazing, runs smooth and is as fast as hell.
Great! Maybe I'll give it a go. (When I'm not broke, that is. :shifty:) I'm still grinding my way through XCom 2. That game's a real pisser. Fun! But what a pisser!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

rayshul wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:
I loved the Vanishing of Ethan Carter but I got into the story and atmosphere more than the puzzles.

I'm massively enjoying XCOM2 right now. I played XCOM/Long War for over 1,000 hours. I like games with genuine consequences.

My go to game if I feel like killing time though is Europa Universalis IV.

...and nothing more

Tigzy wrote:I'm enjoying Battlefront too. I admit, I had the problem of the sound cutting out, but this appears to have been rectified since I updated my drivers. I find the ground battles pretty tough, largely because I'm using a controller rather than the mouse (cos I'm playing the PC version) and therefore don't have the precision of mouse aiming. That said, I've found a pretty decent weapon and card set which generally allows me to get a few decent kills in, and the immersion...is just fantastic. Amazing.

Fighter Squadron, though - I love it. Ironically, this works better with the controller and as such, I usually find myself in the top three of my respective Empire & Rebel end-of-game rankings. True, the A-Wing is massively OP, but the X-Wing not much so - its larger physical profile means it gets hit pretty easily by the guns of a pursuing enemy, and if you don't evade quickly, the ship is toast. Despite people moaning about the TIEs, I actually find them more fun to fight with. They're as fast as hell, pretty damn maneouverable and provide a pretty good opportunity to practice your evasion skills. True, chances are you'll get shot down a lot, but there's something uniquely satisfying about putting in a good TIE performance, given the weaknesses of the craft.

Certainly curious about the upcoming maps - I understand one of them will be set on the Death Star. If this includes the trench for Fighter Squadron, then holy fucking shit, that would be the dogs bollocks. Pity there doesn't appear to be anything like the asteroid field from ESB in the offing, though - it seems weird that there's no real outer-space action for Fighter Squadron.

The ground battles are indeed quite tough; even though the maps are very large, the action ( and I'm speaking specifically about Supremacy here, might be different for some of the other modes ) tends to be funnelled into certain sections which means things can get fairly chaotic. The Personal Shield perk is a godsend though, especially if you're trying to get to a power up. There's a certain satisfaction about hearing the dull thud of all those lasers shots bouncing off as you ... That's true about the X-Wing, it's easier to take out for sure; those A-Wings though, man are they slippery. Small, fast and shielded, certainly the toughest to beat in aerial combat, although if you're using them for picking off ground troops things are a bit more difficult due to the greater speed. I've been slowly getting used to the Ties. The Rebels have an aerial advantage so it's more of an achievement taking out an X/A-Wing. I do wish that crashing your ship into enemy foot soldiers could kill them; in Supremacy something you'll get into a Tie and find you're up against 3/4 rebel ships, so there's basically no chance of victory, in which case kamikazing into a cluster of ground troops would offer some utility...

[youtube]wcX9BqNCRqU[/youtube]

Speaking of space maps, yeah they're quite conspicuous by their absence. Cloud City and the Battle of Endor would be great; Rogue Leader had both of these settings and they were awesome, particularly the former. Aside from that, the asteroid field from ESB would indeed be a suitable addition.

[youtube]uplPnDtThqc[/youtube]

[youtube]Dqd3XJakRaE[/youtube]

( I haven't played this game in ages but for something nearly 15 years old it holds up pretty well graphically ! ) :)

...and nothing more

Anyway. Speaking of Dark Souls, I've been binging Bloodborne lately. And I have to say, I love it. I haven't played any of the other Souls games but now I kind of want to try them all out. Having looked at footage from Dark Souls 2, though, I'm pretty sure that Bloodborne is more simplified in its approach. There are no rings that you have to equip to traverse certain areas and you don't lose a portion of your health everytime you die. There's also this thing about weight being applied to your character that makes your character dodge more slowly than it does in Bloodborne, where there is no such thing as weight and the outfit your wear doesn't really affect your character apart from certain resistances and I'd even say that is negligible.

There's also the shields which in Bloodborne is essentially a joke. I think I might have some trouble transitioning between the two. :think:
Visually Battlefront is gorgeous; nearly 50 hours in and I still look down to admire the texture of the snow on Hoth and the sands of Jakku. I'm playing on the X-Box One with a 7 year old hd-tv and I get the impression that if I had a newer model, or had the pc version, things would be even more impressive.

I'd love to play Bloodborne but unfortunately its a PS4 exclusive; I certainly recommend the Dark Souls series, which is apparently quite similar. ( And you could get Demon Souls as well if you have a PS3/PS4 ). They're excellent games and very immersive. The declining health bar is only in DS2, and really it's not as insidious as it sounds. There's an item that, although rare-ish, restores the bar to full strength; also, the incremental decline means that it's only after you've died a couple of times that you need to consider using the relevant item. There's only one ring you need to access new areas, and you get that quite late in the game. Aside from that the other rings are more for convenience than necessity ( raising fire DEF, partially negating poison buildup etc... ). I'm not quite sure how the weight system works in DS ( specifically talking about DS2 here ). You've got a percentage stat for equipment load and I think that if that goes over 100% your speed might begin to decline proportionally; it's not like Skyrim though, where even a slight increase over your equipment load threshold prevents you from running at all. I was a few points above 100 a week or two back and it didn't seem to affect movement that much.

Shields are absolutely vital in Dark Souls. Even with a very good armour set, enemies ( and not necessarily just bosses ) can deal out significant damage. Getting a sturdy shield and upgrading its poise stat along with your character's overall stamina are pretty important steps in my view; you need to be able to absorb the heavy damage that enemies can inflict, particularly in certain boss battles where you're facing a fast foe with a strong attack.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

It appears that one of the most even keeled youtubers has had it with a certain someone's bare faced lies.

[youtube]6bVZq2rAf4M[/youtube]

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Sorry. Wrong thread.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

...and nothing more wrote:I'd love to play Bloodborne but unfortunately its a PS4 exclusive; I certainly recommend the Dark Souls series, which is apparently quite similar. ( And you could get Demon Souls as well if you have a PS3/PS4 ). They're excellent games and very immersive. The declining health bar is only in DS2, and really it's not as insidious as it sounds. There's an item that, although rare-ish, restores the bar to full strength; also, the incremental decline means that it's only after you've died a couple of times that you need to consider using the relevant item. There's only one ring you need to access new areas, and you get that quite late in the game. Aside from that the other rings are more for convenience than necessity ( raising fire DEF, partially negating poison buildup etc... ). I'm not quite sure how the weight system works in DS ( specifically talking about DS2 here ). You've got a percentage stat for equipment load and I think that if that goes over 100% your speed might begin to decline proportionally; it's not like Skyrim though, where even a slight increase over your equipment load threshold prevents you from running at all. I was a few points above 100 a week or two back and it didn't seem to affect movement that much.

Shields are absolutely vital in Dark Souls. Even with a very good armour set, enemies ( and not necessarily just bosses ) can deal out significant damage. Getting a sturdy shield and upgrading its poise stat along with your character's overall stamina are pretty important steps in my view; you need to be able to absorb the heavy damage that enemies can inflict, particularly in certain boss battles where you're facing a fast foe with a strong attack.
Huh. This is good to know. In Bloodborne, the armor doesn't really do anything. They have their resistance increases, of course, and physical defense, but all in all they're pretty negligible. Obviously they shield you a bit more than if you didn't wear anything at all, but the thing with Bloodborne is that, without shields, it's all about the rolls. Since the stamina regenerates faster in Bloodborne than Dark Souls (especially Dark Souls 2, from what I've seen), if you time your rolls right you might as well be naked.

Anyway. If I were to make a melee character in Dark Souls, what stats would you recommend I put it in? Because I'm thinking the main stats would be endurance, strength and vigour, but then there are also adaptation and poise? And they're supposed to help you from staggering too much, if I recall. How much adaptation would I need before I start stacking endurance, strength and vigour?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Quick note about SW Battlefront; Since today's update, the A-Wings in Fighter Squadron have been nerfed. :D They've got a bigger hitbox, and battles are now a bit more evenly matched, though the Rebels still generally have a bit of an advantage, albeit not as large as before.

It's been very enjoyable playing as a TIE and blasting those fucking little things out of the sky. :twisted:

New free Hoth map too!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Well, that certainly was a kick in the balls. I installed Dark Souls and started a new character. I thought I was doing pretty well at first, I'd killed the first boss, I'd gotten my sword, shield and armor (though I unequipped the armor first chance I could because it was heavy as fuck and I rolled like a landwhale) and I'd gotten past the first level - the tutorial level - and arrived at the next area. Hurray! Maybe the game isn't so hard after all (I thought, naively)!

Then I got to some skeletons that I could barely scratch and they killed me in two blows. Oh.

Okay. Maybe that's a place for another time. So I went to a different place that was darker and more difficult to see, with crimson zombies smashing their heads against the walls and didn't even seem to care I was there until I poked them with my sword. Ah, so I could kill these easier so maybe THIS is the place I was supposed to go in the first place! Except further ahead there were ethereal ghosts that you couldn't hit unless you consumed an item that allowed you to hit them (temporarily) and I only had two so I thought fuck it, I'll run past them. At which point atop the ramparts I was swarmed and killed because ghosts can go through walls (because of course they can) and because I couldn't figure out where the fuck to go.

Oh.

Bloody hell. I knew Dark Souls was hard, but I didn't think it was THIS hard. :doh:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Fuck. This. Game.

I can't be arsed with this. I'll wait for Dark Souls III.

...and nothing more

Pitchguest wrote:Fuck. This. Game.

:)

Yep, Dark Souls can have that effect ! If I recall correctly the difficulty curve in DS1 is quite harsh, DS2 isn't as bad and it's a fantastic game that really deserves to be played. From your last post it seems you wandered into two zones that are perhaps best left until you've levelled up a bit. The Graveyard / New Anor Londo ( I'm presuming these are the locations you were talking about ? ) will be easier at a higher level / weapon and armour upgrade.

It can be a frustrating game for sure though !

...and nothing more

The Undead Burg should be your first port of call. You can soul farm here and it's not too tedious, so probably good for a few level ups.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

...and nothing more wrote:

Yep, Dark Souls can have that effect ! If I recall correctly the difficulty curve in DS1 is quite harsh, DS2 isn't as bad and it's a fantastic game that really deserves to be played. From your last post it seems you wandered into two zones that are perhaps best left until you've levelled up a bit. The Graveyard / New Anor Londo ( I'm presuming these are the locations you were talking about ? ) will be easier at a higher level / weapon and armour upgrade.

Yeah, but the game doesn't really steer you towards the optimal areas for your level. I found the path that lead to Undead Burg later on. I killed the Taurus boss, then I got stuck at the area with the dragon because I kept getting poisoned by the damn rats. Then when I got past THAT, and moss that cured the poison (finally), past the mechanical pig, past the cathedral and down the elevator that lead to the first area, I doubled back and went to the Valley of Drakes where I stumbled upon a cave with fatties, spiders and fireflies. I figured it wouldn't be so difficult now that I'd leveled up some more.

Nope.

But I killed the fatties, the spiders and the fucking fireflies that you kept missing because the hitboxes are nigh non-existent - that all hit with you poisonous attacks but I had moss now so fuck yooooou - went down ladder after ladder and then I was hit with a gas cloud that immediately gave me toxic. Well. Shit. I guess I'll go back to the bonfire then and try again. :doh:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Oh, and I know I said fuck it, but I went back and tried for the gargoyle boss. I actually thought I would do it on my first try because I was dodging his attacks and I'd gotten him to half health and then ... I died because of his twin stabbed me in the back. Ah. So there are two of them. Good. :doh:

By the way, what's the weight/equip load ratio so you don't get constantly get bogged down if you're wearing full on armour?

My max equip load is 56 now, I think, and my weight is 20.6 with full armour, shield and weapon. But I run soooooo slooowly and I take ages to recover from dodging. But seeing as I haven't even expended half of my total equip load, it seems a bit weird my character is acting so encumbered when that shouldn't be case. So what gives?

...and nothing more

Pitchguest wrote:
...and nothing more wrote:

Yeah, but the game doesn't really steer you towards the optimal areas for your level. I found the path that lead to Undead Burg later on. I killed the Taurus boss, then I got stuck at the area with the dragon because I kept getting poisoned by the damn rats. Then when I got past THAT, and moss that cured the poison (finally), past the mechanical pig, past the cathedral and down the elevator that lead to the first area, I doubled back and went to the Valley of Drakes where I stumbled upon a cave with fatties, spiders and fireflies. I figured it wouldn't be so difficult now that I'd leveled up some more.

Nope.

But I killed the fatties, the spiders and the fucking fireflies that you kept missing because the hitboxes are nigh non-existent - that all hit with you poisonous attacks but I had moss now so fuck yooooou - went down ladder after ladder and then I was hit with a gas cloud that immediately gave me toxic. Well. Shit. I guess I'll go back to the bonfire then and try again. :doh:

Yeah it could do with a bit more structure in that regard. Ah I know where you're talking about; below the bridge that leads to the Undead Parish. Those rats are so damn annoying ! Well you're certainly progressing pretty damn quickly through the game, I'd imagine you're probably past Darkroot Garden at this stage ? The Valley of the Drakes is a bit too difficult for the earlier periods in the game, and oh Christ it sounds as if you've made your way to Blighttown ! I despise that place, and yeah those fireflies are so damn annoying; not because they're difficult to kill but because actually hitting them is so damn frustrating.

...and nothing more

Pitchguest wrote:Oh, and I know I said fuck it, but I went back and tried for the gargoyle boss. I actually thought I would do it on my first try because I was dodging his attacks and I'd gotten him to half health and then ... I died because of his twin stabbed me in the back. Ah. So there are two of them. Good. :doh:

By the way, what's the weight/equip load ratio so you don't get constantly get bogged down if you're wearing full on armour?

My max equip load is 56 now, I think, and my weight is 20.6 with full armour, shield and weapon. But I run soooooo slooowly and I take ages to recover from dodging. But seeing as I haven't even expended half of my total equip load, it seems a bit weird my character is acting so encumbered when that shouldn't be case. So what gives?

The Belfry Gargoyles can be a pain in the ass but if you have an ally fighting with you they're not so bad. Do you summon phantoms often ?

With regard to weight/equip loads I'm a bit confused. I seem to remember doing a speed test when I first played DS2 about a year and a half ago and if I recall correctly there was no discernible difference between sprinting with armour versus without. If you're a few percentage points over 100% you can still move about freely ( maybe this decreases your speed or possibly your stamina ) but earlier today I rearranged my level up stats ( there's an item for it in DS2 but I'm not sure if you can do this in DS1 ) so that I could use a really heavy but very powerful melee weapon and my character could only inch forward really slowly; I can't remember what my weight percentage was ( might have been about 125 % ) but the situation was exactly like Skyrim when you go even slightly over your carry capacity. So it seems that once you reach a certain percentage you can barely move at all, but being just a bit over 100% seems okay ( although there could possibly be some decrease in speed/stamina, I'm not sure ). I wonder if the same dynamic works in reverse, so for example, if your weight is below 75% then your speed increases and/or your stamina doesn't drain as quickly... :think:

I ate through about 18 human effigies today trying to get past a section in one of the DLC areas; damn frustrating at times, but in the end I got the job done...only to realise some time later that the area/boss might perhaps have been optional rather than necessary to progress. :bjarte:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Quite a bit further ahead in Dark Souls now. Anor Londo. I've probably missed plenty of places but I read that you can revisit previous bonfires if you talk to Gwenyvere. I just need to find her. I got a halberd that I chose to upgrade to a +5 magic halberd and I've been using that to make it easier to push through content. I'm sure there's probably an easier and quicker way to do that, but for someone new to the game I make do. :dance:

About the weight/equip load, I got a ring from a guy hiding beneath the ruin where you fight the Taurus Demon. Havel's Ring. Increases your equip load by 50%. That, and the Dingy set from the Fire Keeper at Firelink Shrine and a mask that slightly increases equip load, I seem to be able to not be bogged down and still have a decent amount of protection.

And to answer your question, ...and nothing more, I'd...totally forgotten about phantoms. Whoops! :doh:

...and nothing more

Pitchguest wrote:Quite a bit further ahead in Dark Souls now. Anor Londo. I've probably missed plenty of places but I read that you can revisit previous bonfires if you talk to Gwenyvere. I just need to find her. I got a halberd that I chose to upgrade to a +5 magic halberd and I've been using that to make it easier to push through content. I'm sure there's probably an easier and quicker way to do that, but for someone new to the game I make do. :dance:

About the weight/equip load, I got a ring from a guy hiding beneath the ruin where you fight the Taurus Demon. Havel's Ring. Increases your equip load by 50%. That, and the Dingy set from the Fire Keeper at Firelink Shrine and a mask that slightly increases equip load, I seem to be able to not be bogged down and still have a decent amount of protection.

And to answer your question, ...and nothing more, I'd...totally forgotten about phantoms. Whoops! :doh:

The halberd is a good choice, particularly against a group of enemies in a confined space ! I was lucky enough to get a Black Knight sword pretty early in the game and used that from about mid-game onwards.

Wow I didn't realise Havel's ring gave you that much of an equip load decrease; speaking of Havel, his armour set can be found in Anor Londo and it's pretty solid :dance:

Hah, the phantoms can be useful for boss battles if you're continually dying, although in the Dark Souls 2 DLC areas they hardly do any damage and their primary utility is in distracting the boss while you get in some heavier shots.

...and nothing more

Tigzy wrote:Quick note about SW Battlefront; Since today's update, the A-Wings in Fighter Squadron have been nerfed. :D They've got a bigger hitbox, and battles are now a bit more evenly matched, though the Rebels still generally have a bit of an advantage, albeit not as large as before.

It's been very enjoyable playing as a TIE and blasting those fucking little things out of the sky. :twisted:

New free Hoth map too!

Well this was a pleasant surprise indeed ! I like the new Hoth map and am truly delighted to see that the A-Wings have been brought down a peg or two; they're certainly not as difficult to take down as before :dance:

I'm actually thinking this could put the power balance with the Imperials ; now that the aerial battles are more evenly matched, the At-STs won't be as vulnerable to being picked off from the skies. On Graveyard of Giants I went on an absolute tear of a killstreak twice in the last couple of days with the AT-STs.

i don't know if you use Homing Shot, but if so have you noticed it's way slower now ? It used to be that you could lock on and get a shot away quickly but it seems pretty lethargic at the moment. Maybe they felt it was too easy to score kills with it; on Hoth you could get wrack up quite a few thanks to the open spaces and absence of cover.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

...and nothing more wrote: Well this was a pleasant surprise indeed ! I like the new Hoth map and am truly delighted to see that the A-Wings have been brought down a peg or two; they're certainly not as difficult to take down as before :dance:

I'm actually thinking this could put the power balance with the Imperials ; now that the aerial battles are more evenly matched, the At-STs won't be as vulnerable to being picked off from the skies. On Graveyard of Giants I went on an absolute tear of a killstreak twice in the last couple of days with the AT-STs.

i don't know if you use Homing Shot, but if so have you noticed it's way slower now ? It used to be that you could lock on and get a shot away quickly but it seems pretty lethargic at the moment. Maybe they felt it was too easy to score kills with it; on Hoth you could get wrack up quite a few thanks to the open spaces and absence of cover.
Fighter Squadron is a blast now - more often than not I'm getting the top spot in the end-of-session rankings. :D However, I am truly, truly shit at the ground based battles, though my results are often pretty inconsistent. Some games I can rack up a ton of kills, others - nothing. I suspect it might be down to lag, as I can often hit another player with a shit ton of shots and have nothing happen to them, only for them to turn around and put me down with a one shot kill. It's pretty perplexing. I'm sure there's more aimbotters than I initally suspected too, as the clever ones won't make it too obvious they're cheating - those times I was taken out in a one shot kill from an EE 3 by a player on the other side of the map while I was amidst the bushes of Endor were just lucky shots, of course. :lol:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I'm really getting into the Souls series, I'm looking forward to Dark Souls III and I love Dark Souls II so much more than Dark Souls but I just can't make heads or tails about the bloody soul memory system. It's driving me fucking batty. So there's tiers that connect to other tiers, but then there's lower tiers and higher tiers of the same tiers they connect to and ... woah ... I need to sit down.

It's so damned confusing. I just don't know when I'm fucked with co-op, or PvP, or if I'm not there yet or anything. And looking at the guides online is extremely unhelpful. In my opinion one of the worst systems there ever was.

Ah well. Here's hoping they improve that in the new game.

Other than the Souls games, I've been playing XCom 2 and I'm really digging it but the lag, man. The lag. It's excruciating. Why is it that recent games are so terribly unoptimised? I don't get it. I can play Phantom Pain with no lag - at all - full ultra apart from shadows, but with this game I can't even play decent on medium quality. It's absurd. Shame, too, because it's really good otherwise.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I think I've been softbanned from Dark Souls II and it's because I did something I didn't even know wasn't allowed.

So I was invaded and because I couldn't be arsed I pressed Alt+F4 in desperation. However, that is apparently a big no-no and because I did that a few times until I got to the next boss area, I believe I've now been soft banned - which means I've been relegated to other people who've also been soft banned which means my ability to co-op and PvP is basically non-existent. And according to Google, it's for your whole account and not just your character so, er, I guess that means I'm screwed. Crap. :doh:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jesus Pitch, these Dark Souls games sound more like jobs.

On the Battlefront front: I've pretty much given up on the ground-based multiplayer as it's impossibly hard. Fighter Squadron has kind of paled now, but I've found I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the the single-player survival mode - there was a nice surprise the other day in finding a new free map: another Tatooine one, featuring the docking station with the Millenium Falcon.

True, the survival mode doesn't have a lot of depth, yet it delivers some really immersive Star Wars action. You also get a chance to actually have some good old blastfests against the Imperials without some aimbotting little wank continually picking you off with one shot kills from the other side of the map.

Definitely looking forward to the propsed Cloud City and Deathstar maps, which will probably get me back into Fighter Squadron again. I didn't bother buying the new Outer Rim DLC, cos I think there's more than enough desert-planet action as there is, and the new Hero characters are...Greedo and Nien Numb! Admittedly, that's pretty funny, but not funny enough for me to spend some hard-earned on.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tigzy wrote:Jesus Pitch, these Dark Souls games sound more like jobs.
They're a ton of fun, I was enjoying it until I found this out. I've been wondering about it for a while, actually. I just thought it had to do with my soul memory (which is what Dark Souls II uses to match people with in co-op and PvP). Turns out it was a bit more complicated than that. Ah well. I still have Bloodborne. :)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

So Dark Souls III.

Wow.

It's sort of...insane. I guess From Soft decided to just go balls to the wall on this one.

Apart from being hard as fuck, it seems to be a mix from all the From Soft games, from Demon's Souls to Bloodborne. The aesthetic UI from Demon's Souls, the play and feel of the original Dark Souls, the look of Dark Souls II (with better graphics, obviously) and the fluidity of Bloodborne (although seeing as my computer is ancient [six or seven years old], it's a bit laggy at times). It's been great so far, but my god. They really turned up the difficulty level on this one. Good lord. I've played for little more than an hour and I've already died five times. Ah well. Wish me luck!