Violent outbursts

Double wank and shit chips
d4m10n

Violent outbursts

Post by d4m10n »

I'm quite impressed at some of the fantasy violence coming out of the community of late, including J. Conlon's imagined acid attack on Benson and J. White's imagined kneecapping of her opponents. Not to mention Wowbagger’s fantasy of burning a woman to death, which was a little while back now. Can you guys recall any other outstanding examples of such fantasy violence, other than those documented on Watson’s Page-O-Hate?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Violent outbursts

Post by John Greg »

julian has expressed several very violent fantasies, including snapping and/or breaking people's necks, burning them to death (I'm pretty sure julian was the very first to wish people would die in a fire well over a year ago over on Butterbombs and Willnuts, possibly as far back as before B&W moved to FfTB), and an assortment of other fantasy deaths. julian once told me, long, long time ago on skepticblog.org that he wanted to cause me permanent damage by skateboarding all over my face.

Aquaria, erstwhile FfTB commentor, once posited hiding across the street from one of the TAM, or other "skeptic" conferences with a loaded automatic rifle so that she could show MRA scum what she really thought of them. Aquaria also made frequent comments wishing someone would just "fuck off right now and die a very slow and painful death"; that was one of her faves.

And of course there are the all too familiar, but no longer allowed by Lord PeeZus, multiple rape scenarios involving dead procupines, and rusty knives, or both combined.

I know there have been many, many more, but I cannot remember them all.

As a rough off-the-cuff calculation, I would say that the volume of death-to-others fanatasies and outright semi-threats coming from the various FfTB commentors outweighs anyplace else by a margin of about 1000 to 1.

And, yes, I am most sorry I have no screenshots, but as almost everyone here has seen, or been offered, these semi-threats first-hand, and as I am not trying to argue with the dogmatists, I don't think that that is all too important at this point.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

d4m10n wrote:I'm quite impressed at some of the fantasy violence coming out of the community of late, including J. Conlon's imagined acid attack on Benson and J. White's imagined kneecapping of her opponents. Not to mention Wowbagger’s fantasy of burning a woman to death, which was a little while back now. Can you guys recall any other outstanding examples of such fantasy violence, other than those documented on Watson’s Page-O-Hate?
Interesting phenomenon – the prevalence and manifestation of what seems essentially to be cases of schadenfreude. Curious also that that is something that the religious – notably Christians and Muslims, as you may know since you are apparently a “seminary drop-out” – have developed to a fine art – so to speak. For example, Wikipedia has this on an English cleric, Frederic William Farrar (1831-1903):
Farrar was a believer in universal reconciliation and thought that all people would eventually be saved, a view he promoted in a series of 1877 sermons. He originated the term "abominable fancy" for the longstanding Christian idea that the eternal punishment of the damned would entertain the saved.
Along the same line and justifying the “longstanding” adjective, Dawkins also quotes St. Thomas Aquinas who said in his Summa Theologica:
That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. [The God Delusion; pg 360]
Dawkins’ comment to that was “nice man”, which he followed up with a more contemporary manifestation of that attitude with a quote of Anne Coulter: “I defy any of my coreligionists to tell me that they do not laugh at the idea of Dawkins burning in hell.” [pg 360]

Rather interesting that so many in the FfTB cohort are so quick to engage in that same “fancy”, that “fantasy violence”, after anathematizing it in the religious; strange bedfellows and all that ….

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I think fantasy violence is possibly the refuge of someone who feels impotent. And they are impotent in this discussion because they can't afford to engage or discuss - which would be the more empowering route.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Wait, when did Peezee ban the porcupine threats?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Percentage wrote:Wait, when did Peezee ban the porcupine threats?
About the time of the changeover to the new format. At which point I think he banned Aquaria for not towing the line and at which point Josh – Official Spokesgay – flounced, although he apparently wasn’t able to “stick it”.

Curious though that PZ never acknowledged, as far as I know, that his promotion of that porcupine “meme” seriously contributed to the poisoning of the well that currently bedevils the atheist community, nor apologized for those consequences. One of his own petards – so to speak – by which he is being hoisted ….

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Wait, when did Peezee ban the porcupine threats?
He didn't actually "ban" the porcupine. He said, and again, I am sorry that I have failed (oh woe is me how greatly I have failed) to include a screenshot, but what he did was, one day he just posted a quiet comment somewhere that he felt that the "procupine meme has run its course and is no longer necessary". As far as I can tell, that was the last time the porcupine raised its prickly dead head. Amazing, isn't it, how non-echo chamber, non-sycophantic and fully independent his followers are.