Burnt bridges

Double wank and shit chips
Stretchycheese

Burnt bridges

Post by Stretchycheese »

Obviously, the continuing ideological schism and civil war has been qute destructive to the atheist/skeptic community and relationships. Has anyone here ended friendships as a result of the schism? Does anyone have former friends or friendly acquaintances who have turned on you in a vitriolic way and now consider you a personal enemy?

I'm sure there are many, but here a few burnt bridges that come to mind:

- PZ and Russell Blackwood, Abbie Smith, and most likely a host of others
- Ellenbeth Wachs and Al Stephenalli
- Greta Christina and Ryan Grant Long (at least I think they were friends once...)

Any others? Have you?

I haven't had any burnt bridges myself, but then again, I'm mostly a lurker and I haven't engaged that much with atheist/skeptic organization over the last few years.

Stretchycheese

Re: Burnt bridges

Post by Stretchycheese »

Oh yes, Ophelia parting ways with James Onen and Jeremy Stangroom (or perhaps with Jeremy, that way earlier)

windy

Post by windy »

I think I've been put on the subversive persons list:
viewtopic.php?p=71893#p71893

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/1194/windyc.png

Actually I already left before the current "schism", and I didn't get into so many arguments in the beginning since I still had some respect for many of them. But disagree a bit more openly and bam, you're a racist.

daisyw

Post by daisyw »

I stopped talking to a person named Andy Semler after they started supporting A+. I got into an argument with an A+ supporter, Rogi Riverstone, on Andy's Facebook wall after I dared to question the A+ movement and tell them what I thought about it. They didn't like it when I questioned them. Rogi forced me to apologise for questioning their movement (she considered it an insult). I made a hasty apology and then got the hell away from Andy's Facebook page.

I discovered that they (A+ supporters) don't like it when someone decides to honestly question their 'social justice' movement. I haven't talked to Andy since then and I'm much better off because of it.

windy

Post by windy »

AspieAtheist wrote: I discovered that they (A+ supporters) don't like it when someone decides to honestly question their 'social justice' movement. I haven't talked to Andy since then and I'm much better off because of it.
I've managed to have some civil exchanges with people via PM/email, on their public pages it's pretty hopeless.

I haven't had so much vitriol directed at me but I decided to leave Pharyngula after the commenters went all SJW on someone else's ass. Ironically, that commenter is now a born-again anti-sexist who's clashed with 'pitters on various blogs :whistle:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I was a fairly regular commenter at pharyngula a few years back. It was actually a fairly decent place back then.
I think the problems really started when PZ introduced the idea of his OM (Order of Molly - named after Texan journalist Molly Irvine)
They were meant to be a kind of award for best or most inciteful commenter. It was OK at the beginning with a few good thoughtful individuals getting nominated each month (Hi windy OM!) but after a while it became a shouting competition - in those days it was shouting at creationists who wandered in and asked why there are still monkeys.
I stopped visiting a few years back after getting into a couple of pointless insult matches - ironically because I complained about a sexist video posted by PZ, and a somewhat racist post about Pakistani muslims. I can't remember exactly who was arguing against me but I guess they are currently heros on the side of anti-sexism and anti-racism.
I kept posting at Ophelias until much more recently. Her commenting community was absolutely ruined by the fallout from Elevatorgate.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dick Strawkins wrote:(Order of Molly - named after Texan journalist Molly Irvine)
Molly Ivins. Why do you hate women?