SamStrange Claims a Slanderous Lie...

Discussion of the wiki dedicated to documenting FfTB Foibles...

*** NOTE - participation here may be restricted for the prevention of wiki vandalism ***
John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

SamStrange Claims a Slanderous Lie...

Post by John Greg »

Someone named SamStrange, posting at Cristina Rad's blog (http://freethoughtblogs.com/cristinarad ... omment-876), is claiming that there is a slanderous lie about them on the wiki.

I have invited SamStrange to post a note there, in the applicable article, pointing out and verifying that the lie is in fact a lie.

I have promised that if they do that, or if the so-called lie cannot be verified, it will be removed.

I did a search on the wiki, but I got no returns on "SamStrange" or "Sam Strange".

franc

Re: SamStrange Claims a Slanderous Lie...

Post by franc »

Not Sally? I've rolled that article back to what I think it was. In future, to prevent thread blow out, chuck this stuff in the "errata" thread.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Well, I sort of suspect that the person going by SamStrange at Cristina's blog is Sally, but I don't know that. I mean, that would seem sort of an odd thing to do, after all, the FfTB universe is dead set against sock puppetry of any kind however feebley defined, right? Right.

franc

Post by franc »

John Greg wrote: the FfTB universe is dead set against sock puppetry of any kind however feebley defined, right? Right.
And rigidly unhypocritical.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Rigidly.

JAB

Post by JAB »

I have to say that I disagree with the meme that ran saying she thinks rape jokes are funny. Yes she said that, but it was in a comment where she pointed to an Onion joke that was poking fun at those that turn a blind eye to rape not to rape itself. I don't think it's helpful to suggest that she would find a joke directly about rape to be funny. There are lots of things to be critical about in the comments she makes, but pushing this meme is stupid.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Do we know SS's position on porcupines? Because most commenters there make or approve of them, and they are rape jokes.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

JAB said:
I have to say that I disagree with the meme that ran saying she thinks rape jokes are funny.
The article has an addendum that addresses that issue. The primary points are:

1. The article does not make the general statement she/he finds rape jokes funny. It clearly spells out that she/he said she found rape jokes, plural, funny, on the Onion. There is a difference there.

2 The main sway of the article was to point out inconsistency in FfTB commenters, and to those two specific quotes from SallyStrange.

3. She/he said it in a specific reference to rape jokes, plural, on the Onion that she felt were funny, so perhaps you can answer the question, how does "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny" not actually mean "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny"?
I don't think it's helpful to suggest that she would find a joke directly about rape to be funny.
Except, JAB, for the fact that that is specifically what she said.

I added this to the addendum:
If SallyStrange wants to go on the record and state that in fact she did not post the statement quoted from the FfTB thread, or if she wants to state that she made an error and a mis-statement and provide an explanation of why "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny" does not actually mean "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny", fine. I'll post her quote as saying so, and provide a link to wherever the quote is.
And I think that covers it.

LMU, I think, but I am not certain, that SallyStrange is on the record as disapproving of the whole porcupine thing.

JAB

Post by JAB »

John Greg wrote:JAB said:
I have to say that I disagree with the meme that ran saying she thinks rape jokes are funny.
The article has an addendum that addresses that issue. The primary points are:

1. The article does not make the general statement she/he finds rape jokes funny. It clearly spells out that she/he said she found rape jokes, plural, funny, on the Onion. There is a difference there.

2 The main sway of the article was to point out inconsistency in FfTB commenters, and to those two specific quotes from SallyStrange.

3. She/he said it in a specific reference to rape jokes, plural, on the Onion that she felt were funny, so perhaps you can answer the question, how does "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny" not actually mean "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny"?
I don't think it's helpful to suggest that she would find a joke directly about rape to be funny.
Except, JAB, for the fact that that is specifically what she said.

I added this to the addendum:
If SallyStrange wants to go on the record and state that in fact she did not post the statement quoted from the FfTB thread, or if she wants to state that she made an error and a mis-statement and provide an explanation of why "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny" does not actually mean "I've seen rape jokes that were actually funny", fine. I'll post her quote as saying so, and provide a link to wherever the quote is.
And I think that covers it.

LMU, I think, but I am not certain, that SallyStrange is on the record as disapproving of the whole porcupine thing.
As I state, I agree she said that, I just don't think she thinks that. In a reasonable adult discussion we would have said...Hey what?... and she would have explained. She instead, gets all defensive, but can't come over here to explain because of her tribe's peer pressure. I just don't think that means we have to run with it. I hadn't read the wiki page on it and was just commenting on the meme. In a couple comment threads elsewhere where we aren't banned and she shows up, someone here always seems to throw out that she thinks rape jokes are funny to discredit whatever she says, and I think that is distasteful.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Well, you have some good points. I have to ponder this and probe my conscience for a bit.