Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
JacquesCuze

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by JacquesCuze »

Lsuoma wrote:Just checked and it looks like Miri wotsername donation is up to $348. I'm sure she won't back away from her promise, since we all know how dedicated the SJL are to their causes, and surely Miri wouldn't have been lying purely for effect. Would she?

:whistle:
The upside is that Miri gets more of PZ's money next month, and that PhysioProffe is left with just rice.

Beta Neckbeard

Post by Beta Neckbeard »

http://bit.ly/SlymepitForMiri

(that link is harassment)

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:One thing that bothers me about SJWs in general is that they claim to be all about standing up for the disenfranchised, but their focus is almost always on the West, where people are by and large the most tolerant of diversity of all kinds, and where living standards of even the least privileged are already the highest in the world.
If you're going to bully someone, you'll get more mileage out of someone who's trying to please than someone who doesn't care.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

JacquesCuze wrote: So society is constantly working to both take away parental responsibility and then to blame the parents when things go wrong.
It's all eerily similar to the Frankfurt School or 'cultural marxism' as written about all over the place. I don't know if it is deliberate, but that is very similar to what is practiced how it has panned out; this continual process of placing structures in antagonism as a means of establishing authority by one entity.

They are the disease, and the cure. It's bloody awful.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:One thing that bothers me about SJWs in general is that they claim to be all about standing up for the disenfranchised, but their focus is almost always on the West, where people are by and large the most tolerant of diversity of all kinds, and where living standards of even the least privileged are already the highest in the world.

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... countries/

And: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ment_Index

I'm sick of the implications that I'm terribly sexist and racist because I'm a white man. I, along with most Westerners, am less sexist and less racist than the vast majority of people in the world. That doesn't mean I'm perfect,* and that doesn't mean that we're doing everything right,** but I think most of us are willing to have a conversation about what we can do better. I just don't take kindly to being yelled at by deranged fellow members of the most privileged group in the world (middle-class Westerners) who insist that I'm the great scourge of the world by accident of birth,*** when I'm demonstrably less violent, less prejudiced, and more open-minded than almost anyone who's ever lived.

Acceptance of "outsiders" is almost certainly not part of our evolved "human nature." It's obviously a good thing, but it's a relatively recent cultural development that we must be ever-vigilant to maintain. Much of the world isn't even there yet. If SJWs really cared about oppressed groups, they wouldn't limit their area of focus to the West. The West clearly does still have problems with racism and sexism and class, but FFS, I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who claims to be an advocate for oppressed groups but can't see the global forest of genuine oppression and persecution for the domestic trees of real but by any measure considerably less severe problems. If they want to focus on domestic issues, I have no problem with that (it's not like I'm doing anything to fix the world!), but if they want to be taken seriously they should at least pay lip service to having some degree of perspective.

*(I am perfect, but the topic at hand has nothing to do with it)

**(we're not)

***(original sin?)
Little to add, except to say this post sums up my thoughts perfectly. :clap:

I hate the way these fucks try and make out everyone else is A Bad Person because we don't use 'xe', or whatever BS it happens to be. Fuck that shit. Look where we were 50 years ago. Look where some countries still are. There are still people being stoned to death for being raped, for fuck's sake. Dawkins nailed it.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Søren Lilholt wrote:

See: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... countries/

And: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... ment_Index

I'm sick of the implications that I'm terribly sexist and racist because I'm a white man. I, along with most Westerners, am less sexist and less racist than the vast majority of people in the world. That doesn't mean I'm perfect,* and that doesn't mean that we're doing everything right,** but I think most of us are willing to have a conversation about what we can do better. I just don't take kindly to being yelled at by deranged fellow members of the most privileged group in the world (middle-class Westerners) who insist that I'm the great scourge of the world by accident of birth,*** when I'm demonstrably less violent, less prejudiced, and more open-minded than almost anyone who's ever lived.

Acceptance of "outsiders" is almost certainly not part of our evolved "human nature." It's obviously a good thing, but it's a relatively recent cultural development that we must be ever-vigilant to maintain. Much of the world isn't even there yet. If SJWs really cared about oppressed groups, they wouldn't limit their area of focus to the West. The West clearly does still have problems with racism and sexism and class, but FFS, I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who claims to be an advocate for oppressed groups but can't see the global forest of genuine oppression and persecution for the domestic trees of real but by any measure considerably less severe problems. If they want to focus on domestic issues, I have no problem with that (it's not like I'm doing anything to fix the world!), but if they want to be taken seriously they should at least pay lip service to having some degree of perspective.

*(I am perfect, but the topic at hand has nothing to do with it)

**(we're not)

***(original sin?)
Little to add, except to say this post sums up my thoughts perfectly. :clap:

I hate the way these fucks try and make out everyone else is A Bad Person because we don't use 'xe', or whatever BS it happens to be. Fuck that shit. Look where we were 50 years ago. Look where some countries still are. There are still people being stoned to death for being raped, for fuck's sake. Dawkins nailed it.

When you have no problems in life, you have to make some up.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Ape+lust wrote:No, not the Fashion Times! Oh, the ignominy! I'm so sorry, Melody.

(Meanwhile, in the world that matters: Gabriel Garcia Marquez died today)
I expected to see a picture of her in her leopard print pillbox hat under the Crimes Against Fashion section.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

feralandproud wrote:Once again, the thing is, they've already got all the bases covered thanks to their victim culture bullshit. The minute someone says something like, "Well, if twitter exacerbates your 'PTSD', maybe you should...i dunno...STAY THE FUCK OFF OF TWITTER?!" it becomes "How dare these shitlords try to shame and blame this poor brutalized woman." It also conveniently ignores the fact that SHE started all this sshit to begin with.
People are expected to come into the office ready to work. Just because you are an alcoholic and had too much to drink is not a proper excuse. It may get you help from caring employers initially. But at the end of the month, it is your responsibility to not drink the alcohol or stay off twitter if it causes you to not do your job.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Miri is now 'editing' comments she doesn't like, such as this one by Steersman:

http://i.imgur.com/KwvIT1G.jpg

What a good idea. Let's apply this technique to Miri's own post.
Your Uninformed and Incorrect Opinions About Psychology

by Miri, Professional Fun-Ruiner

[Content note: PTSD, online harassment & bullying]

Psychology is an exact science. I know all about it and older men don't.

Melody Hensley is not a patient of mine, but because I can do a psychiatric consultation by telepathy I happen to know that she genuinely suffers from PTSD.

Here is a list of claims that some people make. These claims are all wrong because somewhere in the psychological literature someone argued against them. And because psychology is an exact science, that settles it.

• Religious belief qualifies as a delusion.
• Having a delusion qualifies as a mental illness.
• Religion is a mental illness.

Let's throw in some straw assertions that nobody makes as well:

• It is “irrational” to fear strange men coming at you in the dark because most men are not violent.
• It is “irrational” not to want to get the police involved after a sexual assault for fear of retraumatization.
• If you feel traumatized by online harassment, then you are “weak.”
• And, apparently, only war and similar experiences can cause PTSD.

If you had studied Psychology you would know that these assertions that nobody makes were wrong.

People can gain a lot of insight in psychology through introspection and daily interactions with other people. Physics, chemistry and Computer Science are different. There’s no reason for people to assume they are qualified to lecture others on physics, chemistry, biology, or computer science. There are many reasons for people to assume they are qualified to lecture others on psychology. Any lay person can make valid deductions.

They can also make faulty generalisations. We need to research to find that out.

So I am going to assume that someone who claims to have symptoms of PTSD actually has symptoms of PTSD.

Next I am going to equivocate between having some symptoms of PTSD and having PTSD just because it makes it easier to set up my strawmen.

So, the following studies are in fact all irrelevant:

• 44% of a sample of people who experienced bullying in their workplaces had “high levels of PTSD symptoms.”
• Another study linking workplace bullying to PTSD symptoms.
• Bullying during adolescence can cause trauma.
• Being the victim of stalking can cause PTSD symptoms.
• More about how being the victim of stalking can cause PTSD symptoms.

Next I am going to make an irrelevant observation, namely that we’ve already seen in several high-profile cases that technology-based bullying and harassment can provoke someone all the way to suicide. That they might also experience PTSD is not a huge logical leap at all. But it is a huge logical leap that someone who allegedly suffers from PTSD because of offensive tweets remains a Twitter addict and cyberbully who calls women who disagree with the Party line 'sister punishers'. But I should not have said that as it undermines my strawmanning.

The official diagnostic criteria for PTSD don't really apply in Melody's case, but that is because Psychology is not an exact science, so they are probably wrong.

Whatever, the key is this: it’s called posttraumatic. Stress. Disorder. The name says it all, like a magic formula. If trauma has occurred, and is now causing all of these symptoms, then it makes sense to refer to the illness as PTSD. If your psychological experience literally looks like the psychological experience of someone who served in combat and now has the same symptoms as you, I’m absolutely comfortable with calling that PTSD whether or not the DSM strictly agrees or not. Terminology in Psychology is just random noise after all, whose meaning I can change on a hunch. Therefore, self diagnosis is perfectly fine. We are all psychologists by experience. I'm sure the DSM criteria will accommodate this sooner or later.

Therefore, PTSD from Twitter can be just as bad as PTSD from combat or sexual assault. It's all about empathy with the victims.

But although people can gain valid psychological insights through personal observation and life experience, you have no right to apply these insights to other people's claims of mental illness. You must first study Psychology 101.
(edited for clarity)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Oh, but PeeZus claims that Miri is using actual science, and the rest of us are ignoring the evidence:

<snip paragraph about the Amanda Todd case>

I pointed out back then that some members of the atheist community have a vile lack of empathy. I will mention it again. Miri rages against the online idiots who insist that internet activity can’t really do psychological harm — they diagnose freely over the internet, and claim that you can’t possibly develop stress disorders from the bullying tactics of the usual slymey suspects — Miri tears that argument up with basic scientific facts from the field of psychology (remember the days when skeptics at least paid lip service to science?)
I’m just going to point to Amanda Todd. Her death wasn’t virtual.

I’m also baffled by the reasoning: if it’s not ‘real’, if the only activities that can have a direct effect on someone’s sense of well-being are face-to-face, a punch in the nose, a bomb going off…then what the hell are you doing harassing people on the internet in the first place? Smart people who find themselves doing things over and over that they sincerely believe don’t work will stop doing them. I am compelled to believe that either they’re very stupid, or they are lying when they claim that their activities can’t possibly have an effect. Or both.
Regarding Melody and her Twitterpocalypse ... we didn't start the fire.
Also, if he really believes that, maybe he should stop fostering an environment wherein dissenters are branded as worthless scum of the earth. If anyone in the A/S "community" risks damaging others psychologically through online activity, it's PZ and the team of assholes he captains.
Yah, I wonder what PZ thinks of accusing people of sexual assault without evidence does to someone?

When we see someone with mental issue damaging themselves and doing unhealthy things, we tell them to get off the medium for their own good. That is unless, you own incredibly stupid horde of baboons have made it a mantra that people shouldn't be told to get off those mediums, and actively encourage the to engage in activities that worsen their mental health.

If we could talk sense into Melody, I assure you we would. But since she thinks she should not talk to entire classes of people such as men, "chill girls" (otherwise known as women who disagree with you), cross dressers, military veterans, anyone not in her clique, she will continue her behaviors.

I also want to note that part of PTSD is they people avoid situations & places that where they feel the impact has been made. Melody hasn't been staying off of twitter. She has been staying away from WORK and other physical locations and real life meetings.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

deLurch wrote:
feralandproud wrote:Once again, the thing is, they've already got all the bases covered thanks to their victim culture bullshit. The minute someone says something like, "Well, if twitter exacerbates your 'PTSD', maybe you should...i dunno...STAY THE FUCK OFF OF TWITTER?!" it becomes "How dare these shitlords try to shame and blame this poor brutalized woman." It also conveniently ignores the fact that SHE started all this sshit to begin with.
People are expected to come into the office ready to work. Just because you are an alcoholic and had too much to drink is not a proper excuse. It may get you help from caring employers initially. But at the end of the month, it is your responsibility to not drink the alcohol or stay off twitter if it causes you to not do your job.
I agree, the problem is that it seems like a lot of people nowadays choose to view it in other terms. Like, if that alcoholic happens to be anything other than a cis white male, there will be many mitigating factors, and suddenly it's not about alcoholism anymore, it's about patriarchy, or racism, sexism, ism-ism... I'd be willing to bet that some of the most vocal of the SJL never had a hard day in their fucking lives(breaking a nail or Starbucks being out of chocolate chip cookies doesn't count).

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

deLurch wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Also, if he really believes that, maybe he should stop fostering an environment wherein dissenters are branded as worthless scum of the earth. If anyone in the A/S "community" risks damaging others psychologically through online activity, it's PZ and the team of assholes he captains.
Yah, I wonder what PZ thinks of accusing people of sexual assault without evidence does to someone?

When we see someone with mental issue damaging themselves and doing unhealthy things, we tell them to get off the medium for their own good. That is unless, you own incredibly stupid horde of baboons have made it a mantra that people shouldn't be told to get off those mediums, and actively encourage the to engage in activities that worsen their mental health.

If we could talk sense into Melody, I assure you we would. But since she thinks she should not talk to entire classes of people such as men, "chill girls" (otherwise known as women who disagree with you), cross dressers, military veterans, anyone not in her clique, she will continue her behaviors.

I also want to note that part of PTSD is they people avoid situations & places that where they feel the impact has been made. Melody hasn't been staying off of twitter. She has been staying away from WORK and other physical locations and real life meetings.
So, the bit I highlighted suggests that it was work that caused Melody's PTSD-like symptoms, not twitter or the internet! Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me - most of these SJWs seem to get panic attacks when they actually have to, you know, do something productive and responsible. Note that Melody was tweeting about going to the "skeptic in a pub" style bar meetings while she was supposedly bedridden and off work. She had no problem going outside before.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Badger3k wrote:
deLurch wrote:I also want to note that part of PTSD is they people avoid situations & places that where they feel the impact has been made. Melody hasn't been staying off of twitter. She has been staying away from WORK and other physical locations and real life meetings.
So, the bit I highlighted suggests that it was work that caused Melody's PTSD-like symptoms, not twitter or the internet! Somehow, it wouldn't surprise me - most of these SJWs seem to get panic attacks when they actually have to, you know, do something productive and responsible. Note that Melody was tweeting about going to the "skeptic in a pub" style bar meetings while she was supposedly bedridden and off work. She had no problem going outside before.
Perhaps she is embarrassed to meet people face to face who have been impacted by her online antics. She may not get that much respect at work.

And if you walk around looking like this:
http://i.imgur.com/pJlaRe9.jpg

People might tend to look at her strange... or avoid looking at her so that it doesn't register.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Skep tickle wrote:http://www.skepticink.com/gps/2014/04/1 ... a-twitter/

Gives rundown on PTSD then supports claim that psychological trauma can cause PTSD.

Like Miri, doesn't address the common theme running through the literature on PTSD, AFAICT, about the inability to get away from the source of ongoing trauma (including from bullying in workplace or school) as being key - e.g. the involuntary nature of the exposure - plus avoidant behavior after trauma, or onset of ongoing trauma - also being key in the diagnostic criteria.
I don't think that anyone here actually denies that "cyber bullying" and harassment do exist and can cause some pretty severe damage to a persons mental health...

It's just that it's so very obvious that Melody haven't actually been neither harassed nor bullied - instead what's actually happened is that she and her friends have been busy this last two years trying to redefine "harassment" to mean "didn't agree with me!", bullying as "many people publicly disagreeing with me and laughing at me!", and stalking as "reading my public tweets and blog posts".

It doesn't take to long time observing Melody's behavior to see that she's not the one being bullied, rather, she's the one trying to bully - trying to dox people, trying to have people fired, trying to silence people because they disagreed, and so on. Her "PTSD" is simply a way for her to paint herself as an even bigger victim when she gets the same crap she flings around thrown back at her. She's hardly the first bully who've realized how effective it is being the first one crying in the teachers office...

Ironically, these last days events is the only time when one could say she's actually been subject to real bullying and harassment on twitter... and it's only these last few days that Melody have behaved in a way that would actually be consistent with twitter having caused her severe psychological trauma - these last few days she's stayed off twitter.

How ironic would it be if it was the twitter-backlash to Melody's claim of twitter-PTSD that ended up giving her real twitter-PTSD?

Really?

Post by Really? »

deLurch wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
deLurch wrote:I also want to note that part of PTSD is they people avoid situations & places that where they feel the impact has been made. Melody hasn't been staying off of twitter. She has been staying away from WORK and other physical locations and real life meetings.
Perhaps she is embarrassed to meet people face to face who have been impacted by her online antics. She may not get that much respect at work.

People might tend to look at her strange... or avoid looking at her so that it doesn't register.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3771133440/hE45F23E8/

Really?

Post by Really? »

acathode wrote:

Gives rundown on PTSD then supports claim that psychological trauma can cause PTSD.

Like Miri, doesn't address the common theme running through the literature on PTSD, AFAICT, about the inability to get away from the source of ongoing trauma (including from bullying in workplace or school) as being key - e.g. the involuntary nature of the exposure - plus avoidant behavior after trauma, or onset of ongoing trauma - also being key in the diagnostic criteria.
I don't think that anyone here actually denies that "cyber bullying" and harassment do exist and can cause some pretty severe damage to a persons mental health...

It's just that it's so very obvious that Melody haven't actually been neither harassed nor bullied - instead what's actually happened is that she and her friends have been busy this last two years trying to redefine "harassment" to mean "didn't agree with me!", bullying as "many people publicly disagreeing with me and laughing at me!", and stalking as "reading my public tweets and blog posts".

It doesn't take to long time observing Melody's behavior to see that she's not the one being bullied, rather, she's the one trying to bully - trying to dox people, trying to have people fired, trying to silence people because they disagreed, and so on. Her "PTSD" is simply a way for her to paint herself as an even bigger victim when she gets the same crap she flings around thrown back at her. She's hardly the first bully who've realized how effective it is being the first one crying in the teachers office...

Ironically, these last days events is the only time when one could say she's actually been subject to real bullying and harassment on twitter... and it's only these last few days that Melody have behaved in a way that would actually be consistent with twitter having caused her severe psychological trauma - these last few days she's stayed off twitter.

How ironic would it be if it was the twitter-backlash to Melody's claim of twitter-PTSD that ended up giving her real twitter-PTSD?
Whoa. It's kinda like when Cartman lied about having Tourette's so he could go around yelling racial slurs at people. But after he was pretending to have a real psychological malady for so long, he actually developed it.

http://www.spscriptorium.com/Season11/CartmanStory.png

Really?

Post by Really? »

acathode wrote:

Whoa. It's kinda like when Cartman lied about having Tourette's so he could go around yelling racial slurs at people. But after he was pretending to have a real psychological malady for so long, he actually developed it.

http://www.spscriptorium.com/Season11/CartmanStory.png

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Whoever said CFI management are going to get the wrath of the SJW sturmtruppen, watch this space. I have a feeling that is bang on.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Sulman wrote:Whoever said CFI management are going to get the wrath of the SJW sturmtruppen, watch this space. I have a feeling that is bang on.
I'm looking forward to the ditzkrieg, but how much MORE could CFI do to protect Malady from herself?

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Jan Steen wrote:Miri is now 'editing' comments she doesn't like, such as this one by Steersman:

What a good idea. Let's apply this technique to Miri's own post.

Melody Hensley is not a patient of mine, but because I can do a psychiatric consultation by telepathy I happen to know that she genuinely suffers from PTSD.

Here is a list of claims that some people make. These claims are all wrong because somewhere in the psychological literature someone argued against them. And because psychology is an exact science, that settles it.

• Religious belief qualifies as a delusion.
• Having a delusion qualifies as a mental illness.
• Religion is a mental illness.

Let's throw in some straw assertions that nobody makes as well:

• It is “irrational” to fear strange men coming at you in the dark because most men are not violent.
• It is “irrational” not to want to get the police involved after a sexual assault for fear of retraumatization.
• If you feel traumatized by online harassment, then you are “weak.”
• And, apparently, only war and similar experiences can cause PTSD.

If you had studied Psychology you would know that these assertions that nobody makes were wrong.

People can gain a lot of insight in psychology through introspection and daily interactions with other people. Physics, chemistry and Computer Science are different. There’s no reason for people to assume they are qualified to lecture others on physics, chemistry, biology, or computer science. There are many reasons for people to assume they are qualified to lecture others on psychology. Any lay person can make valid deductions.

They can also make faulty generalisations. We need to research to find that out.

So I am going to assume that someone who claims to have symptoms of PTSD actually has symptoms of PTSD.

Next I am going to equivocate between having some symptoms of PTSD and having PTSD just because it makes it easier to set up my strawmen.

So, the following studies are in fact all irrelevant:

• 44% of a sample of people who experienced bullying in their workplaces had “high levels of PTSD symptoms.”
• Another study linking workplace bullying to PTSD symptoms.
• Bullying during adolescence can cause trauma.
• Being the victim of stalking can cause PTSD symptoms.
• More about how being the victim of stalking can cause PTSD symptoms.

Next I am going to make an irrelevant observation, namely that we’ve already seen in several high-profile cases that technology-based bullying and harassment can provoke someone all the way to suicide. That they might also experience PTSD is not a huge logical leap at all. But it is a huge logical leap that someone who allegedly suffers from PTSD because of offensive tweets remains a Twitter addict and cyberbully who calls women who disagree with the Party line 'sister punishers'. But I should not have said that as it undermines my strawmanning.

The official diagnostic criteria for PTSD don't really apply in Melody's case, but that is because Psychology is not an exact science, so they are probably wrong.

Whatever, the key is this: it’s called posttraumatic. Stress. Disorder. The name says it all, like a magic formula. If trauma has occurred, and is now causing all of these symptoms, then it makes sense to refer to the illness as PTSD. If your psychological experience literally looks like the psychological experience of someone who served in combat and now has the same symptoms as you, I’m absolutely comfortable with calling that PTSD whether or not the DSM strictly agrees or not. Terminology in Psychology is just random noise after all, whose meaning I can change on a hunch. Therefore, self diagnosis is perfectly fine. We are all psychologists by experience. I'm sure the DSM criteria will accommodate this sooner or later.

Therefore, PTSD from Twitter can be just as bad as PTSD from combat or sexual assault. It's all about empathy with the victims.

But although people can gain valid psychological insights through personal observation and life experience, you have no right to apply these insights to other people's claims of mental illness. You must first study Psychology 101.
(edited for clarity)
Funny, I tried to comment in that thread but it didn't make it thru moderation. Look at her comment 6.1 where she says that having no credentials is perfectly fine (as long as the persons anecdoctal bs matches her views).

welch

Post by welch »

Karmakin wrote:
welch wrote:
Twitter ain't pork loin Zvain, you don't have a clue what you're actually talking about.
Maybe I'm being too harsh here, but my kneejerk reaction is that Twitter SHOULD do this...then suspend the account of the toxic person who is inciting all the anger. Or at least warn them to not be such an asshole.

This whole situation is why I much prefer my model of internet conflict. Hensley is a troll. She is inciting conflict (and it seems like it's pretty fucking intentional) The people who give her that conflict, are the fish. Both being a troll and being fish are wrong. If you want a happier community, you have to do something about BOTH.

Note that by being a fish, I really mean responding in an angry/non-constructive fashion. There's plenty of ways to respond to trolls that are very constructive. You can even still be a total asshole and still not be a fish. Trolls are looking for you to respond in ANGER, so they can claim the moral high ground. Don't give them that. (Not that anybody here does. I'm just saying).
Hensley could easily keep "unwanted people" from reading her tweets. Set your account to protected. Done. She'd have complete control over who can see her.

She'll never do it, because she wants the attention. Being ignored is the worst thing you can ever do to her.

Beta Neckbeard

Post by Beta Neckbeard »

Really? wrote:
Sulman wrote:Whoever said CFI management are going to get the wrath of the SJW sturmtruppen, watch this space. I have a feeling that is bang on.
I'm looking forward to the ditzkrieg, but how much MORE could CFI do to protect Malady from herself?
http://www.earthexplodes.com/assets/ima ... 6-ouch.png

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:Please. We troll simply by existing.
We're the best thing that ever happened to them. Without this singular entity, they'd have to deal with each other more.

Don't get me wrong, the potential chaos from that makes me sometimes wish Lsuoma would shut this place down, just to see what happens across a year, but that would be a bit of a bummer.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jan Steen wrote:Miri is now 'editing' comments she doesn't like, such as this one by Steersman:

:lol: What a hoot. FWIW, my original comment in response to one of hers that she’s seen fit to “edit slightly for clarity”:
Steersman wrote:I don't see that he called all of psychology "bullshit" - overly sensitive perhaps? Curious though that more than a few in the FTB stable have, if I'm not mistaken, said pretty much the same thing about evolutionary psychology.

In any case, since the elephant in the room - Melody Hensley and her supposed PTSD - hasn't been named here, I wonder whether or not you would concede that there is a rather wide spectrum of objective events that can produce the same subjective experiences. And wonder how you would feel about those who would use the similarity in the latter to suggest that all of the former are on par.

P.S. You write rather well but your longer missives could do with a TL;DR/abstract section.
Apparently she didn’t like my “unsoliticed and worthless writing advice” – among other flaws. Or maybe it was my follow-up comment subsequent to her deleting that one, i.e., “Freethoughtblogs? What an oxymoron! What a fucking joke!”

But a word to the wise (?) Miri: I am less insistent or concerned that you “engage with me” than I am in pointing out the hypocrisy and flaws in many of the screeds published by more than a few FTBloggers. And I can do that simply by publishing my comments elsewhere even if you, and others, aren’t prepared to do that yourselves.
Jan Steen wrote:What a good idea. Let's apply this technique to Miri's own post.

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>
(edited for clarity)
:) Too true. In particular, that "claims to have symptoms of PTSD" looks to be another manifestation of the problematic "believe the victim" - no doubt there are far too many of such but it doesn't help matters that so many - apparently including Stollznow to some degree - have an apparent tendency to hypochrondria or malingering - being charitable - or to scamming the system.

However, it seems hardly a stretch to argue that there’s a very wide spectrum of sensitivity to trauma of one sort or another – Welch freaking out about spiders for example, or the recent Amanda Todd case – and not at all implausible to argue that Hensley might well be suffering – to some degree – from something that looks at least rather analogous – similar but not identical – to PTSD. What I object to, as mentioned, is her apparent suggestion that the symptoms and causes of her case are somehow the same as those of war veterans, and that that somehow precludes any and all criticism of her position and statements. The most reasonable and succinct response to which is “Fuck off lady”.

welch

Post by welch »

rayshul wrote:Is it just me or are all the rest of them being really quiet while Melody goes supernova?
It is kind of interesting, isn't it.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Snapfingers wrote: Funny, I tried to comment in that thread but it didn't make it thru moderation. Look at her comment 6.1 where she says that having no credentials is perfectly fine (as long as the persons anecdoctal bs matches her views).
It is hilarious how she makes an argument from authority (Psychology is a science that you have to study before you open your mouth about matters psychological) and then undermines this argument a few paragraphs later. No wonder that Peezus the Clueless is so taken with her worthless piece.

welch

Post by welch »

feralandproud wrote: SpokesGay's gone full Godwin! Not at anyone, of course. He's just calling out for attention.
He's really bad at trolling.

welch

Post by welch »

deLurch wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

I'm telling you, that woman has fucking bodies in a crawlspace somewhere. One day, they're going to catch her hacking up a hobo, and I will for DAMNED sure be the guy saying "Fuck no, i'm not surprised, just look at her. How could you not think she was killing people every hour on the hour. Hell, she probably shaved 20% off the homeless population in DC in an OFF year. You people are stupid."

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
decius wrote:Selenite, stealing money from the till falls in the crime category. What Melody did doesn't. Apples, oranges and all that.
She did attempt theft though, depending on how you view it. If you consider that a wrongfully fired person has had all their future career income taken from them, that's as bad as theft. Also, they may lose cars and homes that are not yet fully paid for.
Theft is the only crime, be it the theft of gold, land, life or innocence. (-Sam Vimes, paraphrased)
I like that. The phrase, that is, not theft. :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

debaser71 wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I'm not a doctor, but I have some experience with workplace/disability issues. I hadn't considered that Melody might be doctor shopping, but if she's done that, and has the paperwork (despite the doctor knowingly lying), then she'd qualify for any sick pay plan that CFI offers. False illness claims make me angry in the same way as false crime accusations. Both make it more difficult for real crime victims and illness sufferers to be believed. They also suck resources away from those who really need it.

It's nice to know that you don't lie for your patients. That's a very good thing.
This. I used to work as a staff member in a place where we provided a therapeutic social environment for adults with mental disability. These SJW's who go around using mental illness as some sort victim cred badge really fucking pisses me off. The mentally ill adults I'd tend to and deal with would give anything to be out of "the system".
She's just pretending either for malingering purposes or for sympathy seeking purposes. Maybe both?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news Professor suspended for Game Of Thrones shirt that threatened community college kingdom

So let us have a look at that shirt:
http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/5113/69 ... al/640.jpg

As it turns out twas his daughter wearing the shirt, not he.
Confirming yet again that the halls of academia are no place for interpreting things, a New Jersey professor was suspended over a Game Of Thrones T-shirt whose tagline—the Daenerys Targaryen quote, “I Will Take What Is Mine With Fire & Blood”—was interpreted by his colleague as a threat. The incident came about after Francis Schmidt, who teaches art and animation at Bergen Community College, posted a photo of his daughter doing a yoga pose in the shirt to his Google+ account, where it was seen by the people who actually use Google+, such as easily riled deans. Said dean reportedly called for an emergency meeting, concerned that this small, unsettlingly agile girl in a T-shirt was Schmidt’s way of announcing his intention to claim all the spoils a New Jersey community college has to offer, by force if necessary.
This informative copy/pasta report, derivative of an art form of blogging pioneered by she-who-must-not-be-named (and a good thing too because her name escapes me at the moment), has been brought to you by the letters Andrew and V and the numbers 6 and 9.

Kenteken

Post by Kenteken »

If there's one thing that says 'moral failure'.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Ron lindsay's piece about moderate xtians providing cover for the loons and their claims, is fantastically lacking any degree of self awareness.

CFI is providing cover for a set of ideologically driven loons and their claims. Not only that, those very same loons shriek in horror at the idea that the tenets of their beliefs be open to inquiry! Which is the antithesis of the CFI mission statement! In other words, under Lindsay CFI are directly promoting a group of ideological fanatics who are in direct opposition to the goals of CFI.

Tell me Ron, which Christian church is stupid enough to do that, at least their loons agree on the tenets. Yet you demand they confront their fundamentalists, whilst cowering from splitting your own church, because you see them as some kind of intersectional ally (fuck do i hate those words). Skeptics don't have allys Ron, they have Skepticism.

In short: don't deem to lecture christian churches on the ideologies they provide cover for, while you do the same, because of political sympathy, blinding lack of an irony meter, and wanting to keep the pews filled.

Kenteken

Post by Kenteken »

*clicks link* *clicks link* *clicks link*

Southern

Post by Southern »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news Professor suspended for Game Of Thrones shirt that threatened community college kingdom

Confirming yet again that the halls of academia are no place for interpreting things, a New Jersey professor was suspended over a Game Of Thrones T-shirt whose tagline—the Daenerys Targaryen quote, “I Will Take What Is Mine With Fire & Blood”—was interpreted by his colleague as a threat. The incident came about after Francis Schmidt, who teaches art and animation at Bergen Community College, posted a photo of his daughter doing a yoga pose in the shirt to his Google+ account, where it was seen by the people who actually use Google+, such as easily riled deans. Said dean reportedly called for an emergency meeting, concerned that this small, unsettlingly agile girl in a T-shirt was Schmidt’s way of announcing his intention to claim all the spoils a New Jersey community college has to offer, by force if necessary.
This informative copy/pasta report, derivative of an art form of blogging pioneered by she-who-must-not-be-named (and a good thing too because her name escapes me at the moment), has been brought to you by the letters Andrew and V and the numbers 6 and 9.
Duh. Game of Thrones is rape culture, so that's just adequate. Don't this guys read Rebecca Watson's take on the subject? (If he did not, then he should be maimed and killed, not just suspended)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tigzy is clearly trying to provoke La Twatson to up her game. Methinks she too smart to fall for it but who knows?
The thing is Watson has figured out how to make money from trolling. Can we say the same about Melody?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news Professor suspended for Game Of Thrones shirt that threatened community college kingdom

Sure it seems ridiculous now, but those colleagues wisely kept that girl from returning later with dragons. They're heroes! If only the faculty at Yunkai Tech had been so prudent.

Really?

Post by Really? »

We're getting some pro-Smellody Tweets now.

https://twitter.com/search?q=melody%20h ... f=realtime

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Really? wrote:We're getting some pro-Smellody Tweets now.

Now that there's back-up, I expect the SJL to come swooping in to the rescue. I wish I could skip through life as obtuse as these fucks.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

AndrewV69 wrote:Tigzy is clearly trying to provoke La Twatson to up her game. Methinks she too smart to fall for it but who knows?
The thing is Watson has figured out how to make money from trolling. Can we say the same about Melody?
#

Watson is very measured in her trolling for rage hits. Hensley actually believes what she says and I am as certain as I can be that she is genuinely ill. She does need help but she won't get it from the SJL's. They always make everything ten times worse. Hopefully she has friends around her who will do their best to help her without trying to exploit her experience to push their dogma. Miri, I'm looking at you and no doubt others who will follow. If any SJL is reading this please, for once, be truthful and balanced. Let the evidence follow the conclusion and not the other way round. Stop ignoring the fact things are not always either/or (Myers please note) and it is fine to express an opinion but it is not fine to avoid any genuine criticism of it. People will never take you seriously until you correct this. You will continue to feel marginalized because you have lost all respect from people that know free and open discourse is crucial to arriving at a valid conclusion.

Any belief that requires itself to be closed to critical inquiry is not a belief that will stand the simple test of truth. Trying to close down discussion, labeling all dissent as 'trolling' and vilifying people who do not share your views is seen as childish and makes your views irrelevant and trivial. Which is why I laugh at you.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Welp,

I just checked https://bitly.com/SlymepitForMiri+ and apparently at a minimum she has comitted herself for $432.00 that we know of. It could be $2,000 plus for all we know.

Anyone interested in pledging more $$$ from Miri can click here: http://bit.ly/SlymepitForMiri

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

At least they have the guts to defend their friend, were are all the FTBs, Skepchicks and atheism+. Melody provided them with speaking gigs, travel, expenses and maybe even speaking fees (not sure about this.) In their friends hour of need these shithouses are nowhere to be seen on twitter. Melody should remember who her real friends are next time she arranges a conference, if she gets a chance after this shitstorm anyway. She is still a knob though.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Today,
Good Friday,
Pet store,
Ridgewood, Queens, NY...

http://i.imgur.com/L96o6Pi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aVNxXx4.jpg

Linus

Post by Linus »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: Girl power.
In spite of the fact that at times they seem to have no sense of self-preservation, to paraphrase that saying, never ascribe to cojones what can be attributed to cluelessness. I think they actually have a pretty keen sense of self-preservation when it comes to actual, mainstream media outrage. They probably realize that if this thing explodes, it could sweep them all away like the blast from a nuclear bomb. Greater adversaries than Hensley have found their Waterloo in crossing the military, Joseph McCarthy, to name one. Or rather, crossing military vets, whom the public consider off-limits.

They'll stay relatively quiet until they think they're clear, then they'll strap on their Internet balls and make a great show of it.
Even the most clueless of the SJW must realize that Ms. Hensley has gotten herself into an unwinnable battle. Which among them would be insane enough to go up against these kinds of responses:
Uh, I'm not a SJW, but I would. Cuz it's stupid. "You don't have PTSD, because some guy got his limbs blown off"?

The only article by someone with expertise on the subject of PTSD I've seen has made it clear that, yes, it's definitely possible that she got PTSD from the internets. It's also definitely true that people were assholes about it. And then she was an even bigger asshole by contacting peoples' COs. Then certain people decided that they would not be out-assholed and suggested contacting her employer and likening her to contacting COs over twitter insults to the Phelps' family's protesting of dead soldiers' funerals.

I find it all funny. Sometimes both "sides" of this drama are such whiny and easily outraged fucks.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news: Zoologger: Gender-bending cave insects found in Brazil

Where the females have a penis and if you are a male, saying no is not an option:
Yoshizawa thinks the spines act as anchors, holding the male still while the female mates with him. He tried pulling apart a copulating pair, and wound up ripping the male in two: the female stayed attached. That may explain why he hasn't yet seen a male resist mating: it would damage itself.

Unlike the classical penis, the gynosome does not squirt out anything. Instead it acts like a vacuum cleaner, sucking up the male's sperm so that the female can use it to fertilise her eggs. Copulation can last up to 70 hours, non-stop.
Forget power, sex is really all about food. Power is just a happy byproduct :
In most species males compete for access to females, but in these insects things may be the other way round – because males are a good source of food. That would explain why the females have evolved gynosomes - to suck food out of the males. It could also explain the anchors: the females don't want to let the male go until they've had a good meal.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

welch wrote:
deLurch wrote:And if you walk around looking like this:

I'm telling you, that woman has fucking bodies in a crawlspace somewhere. One day, they're going to catch her hacking up a hobo, and I will for DAMNED sure be the guy saying "Fuck no, i'm not surprised, just look at her. How could you not think she was killing people every hour on the hour. Hell, she probably shaved 20% off the homeless population in DC in an OFF year. You people are stupid."
"Um, yes. I have to stay home all day in bed. My psychiatrist said I was not well. Of course officer, I was no where near the park where the homeless have been disappearing. As I said, I've been bed ridden all day."

OK. Enough fan fiction. Totally unrealistic.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

Linus wrote:
Snip.

The only article by someone with expertise on the subject of PTSD I've seen has made it clear that, yes, it's definitely possible that she got PTSD from the internets. It's also definitely true that people were assholes about it. And then she was an even bigger asshole by contacting peoples' COs. Then certain people decided that they would not be out-assholed and suggested contacting her employer and likening her to contacting COs over twitter insults to the Phelps' family's protesting of dead soldiers' funerals.

I find it all funny. Sometimes both "sides" of this drama are such whiny and easily outraged fucks.
Fuck me you're dumb, almost every comment is saying if you suffer from using the Intertubes then it is probably wise not to use the Intertubes. We all know that is not going to happen as they live and even profit from teh drama. I think people are allowed to point out the hypocrisy of the unfolding events.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

feralandproud wrote:
Now that there's back-up, I expect the SJL to come swooping in to the rescue. I wish I could skip through life as obtuse as these fucks.
If they were real friends, they would tell a friend who says they have mental issue from twitter to stay off twitter and to especially not go slagging off on drag queens, vets and just about everyone else under the sun.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Linus wrote:...
Uh, I'm not a SJW, but I would. Cuz it's stupid. "You don't have PTSD, because some guy got his limbs blown off"?

obligatory xkcd goes here

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

AndrewV69 wrote:Welp,

I just checked https://bitly.com/SlymepitForMiri+ and apparently at a minimum she has comitted herself for $432.00 that we know of. It could be $2,000 plus for all we know.

Anyone interested in pledging more $$$ from Miri can click here: http://bit.ly/SlymepitForMiri
Nope. No new articles yet. But keep on checking. You never know when she will update.

On a related bit, I think I recall her roommate's ebegging to be on this site: http://www.gofundme.com/
But I am having trouble finding the listing.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

JacquesCuze wrote:

Linus, I agree in spirit with much of what you wrote, it's the Wil "Don't be a dick" thing. My problem is I am fallible and have caught Wil being a dick far too often. Also, all of his acting after Stand By Me was shit.

Really?

Post by Really? »

JacquesCuze wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:

Linus, I agree in spirit with much of what you wrote, it's the Wil "Don't be a dick" thing. My problem is I am fallible and have caught Wil being a dick far too often. Also, all of his acting after Stand By Me was shit.
Oh, you're just upset because he pointed out that 165% of men are date rapists.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Really? wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:[.quote="JacquesCuze"]

obligatory xkcd goes here[./quote]

Oh, you're just upset because he pointed out that 165% of men are date rapists.
exactly.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Although none of his performances have ever stood up to his work in Stand By Me.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

deLurch wrote:
feralandproud wrote:
If they were real friends, they would tell a friend who says they have mental issue from twitter to stay off twitter and to especially not go slagging off on drag queens, vets and just about everyone else under the sun.
That would require admitting "one of them" was wrong, and has been wrong for a long time. Not gonna happen. They'd rather express their outrage at this totally unfair, totally unprovoked attack.

Really?

Post by Really? »

FYI:
That list only contains one rapist-by-own-definition and one guy who slept with his student by his own definition.

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

deLurch wrote:
feralandproud wrote:
Not necessary true as the probably believe in the same shit she does (they are right and everyone who disagrees with them is wrong.) They are still showing more guts then the FTB/Skepchick and atheism+ crowd.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Linus wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:
Hunt wrote: In spite of the fact that at times they seem to have no sense of self-preservation, to paraphrase that saying, never ascribe to cojones what can be attributed to cluelessness. I think they actually have a pretty keen sense of self-preservation when it comes to actual, mainstream media outrage. They probably realize that if this thing explodes, it could sweep them all away like the blast from a nuclear bomb. Greater adversaries than Hensley have found their Waterloo in crossing the military, Joseph McCarthy, to name one. Or rather, crossing military vets, whom the public consider off-limits.

They'll stay relatively quiet until they think they're clear, then they'll strap on their Internet balls and make a great show of it.
Even the most clueless of the SJW must realize that Ms. Hensley has gotten herself into an unwinnable battle. Which among them would be insane enough to go up against these kinds of responses:
:clap: :lol:

Hilariously inane straw-man you have created and then refuted. But please, by all means, I strongly encourage you to respond to that tweet with your brilliant retort. You said you would, after all.
I'm not sure which article you read that you found to be so convincing, but what I read stated that one of the criterion for PTSD (per the latest DSM) is a genuine fear of death or great bodily harm and another is avoidance of the triggering event. Care to make the case that twitter comments can cause genuine fear of death or great bodily harm? Go for it, maybe you'll convince me to change my mind. Care to explain how Ms. Hensley's continued use of Twitter squares with the literature on avoidance of triggering events. Again, go for it, I'll happily change my mind if you present a compelling argument.

Also, I'd rather be an asshole standing up to the Fred Phelps of the world than to be a person like you, an asshole standing up to people like me.
Yeah, I'm sooooooo easily outraged to the point of suggesting that people should contact someone's employer that I've done it all of once in my life. I'm on a hair trigger, ready to call everyone's boss at the drop of a hat. You really nailed me on that one. And you aren't outraged at all, you are clearly entirely objective and fair.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you a serious person trying to make a serious point, because you seem more like the slymepit jester than anything else?

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Hensley isn't going to get any "help" from her friends. She's like a junkie and a drug dealer hanging out with a group where everyone else is a junkie and dealer too.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Haha. I thought she sounded like a little child strong, empowered womyn on twitter.

I don't know who this Miri person is and I don't care. I tried talking to her on twatter about the Hensley thing and she ran away crying and blocked me. She seems as childish and immature as her selfie pics would indicate.

But hey, social justice warriorism and emotional immaturity go together like soy sauce and white patriarchal cishet rice.