The Refuge of the Toads

Old subthreads
feathers

Re: The Refuge of the Toads

Post by feathers »

Ape+lust wrote:So Peez, this means you'll quit shoving the drunken slacker up our noses as some sort of important voice that needs hearing?

No, I didn't think so.

Advance condolences on your suicide when it comes out that Carrier splatterspunked on your squeeze toy's face.

http://imgur.com/twmav4C.jpg

http://archive.is/2NxDb
So PZ is going to stop commenting on evopsych and all sorts of social sciences he's never studied?

Didn't think so, bis.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://i.imgur.com/I8vTnG3.jpg

The suspense is underwhelming.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

[quote="AndrewV69"]So this shows up in whatever you call it on Twat

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Skep tickle wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So this shows up in whatever you call it on Twat

Phone mishap, disregard.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Skep tickle wrote:Phone mishap, disregard.
Must have been distracted.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Skep tickle wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So this shows up in whatever you call it on Twat

Phone mishap, disregard.
Ive heard of butt-dialing, but this is the first butt-post Ive seen.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/I8vTnG3.jpg

His only blog entry that won't trigger narcolepsy.

dogen

Post by dogen »

deLurch wrote:Trump appears to not be doing so hot in the polls right now.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5952.html

The Muslim incident doesn't appear to have helped him all that much.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

I would say that this mostly has come from Trump not even bothering to campaign much recently. He isn't making the news.
Casting his eye enviously over the Brexit news, Trump announces that he's going to take the 50 states out of the Union...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

deLurch wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Phone mishap, disregard.
Must have been distracted.
My mind reels and staggers with many snark options I fail to decide on one.

Billie from Ockham

Post by Billie from Ockham »

AndrewV69 wrote:I was thinking that one or two pitters might find this interesting:

From War Is Boring What a T-90 Tank Looks Like After Being Hit by a TOW Missile
Several years ago, the Russians figured out how to mount those anti-tank missiles on fighter jets. No-one thought that it was possible, but they managed to do it. The reason that these haven't been seen in battle is that ... of all people ... those topless female activists (i.e., the FEMEN) protested violently. It seems that they have a problem with Mig-TOWs.

Billie from Ockham

Skep tickle wrote:As others have mentioned, it sure seems like I've been hearing claims go more often unquestioned on NPR lately. Caught one example:

Heard it on NPR "TED Radio Hour", host is Guy Raz, show title this week was "Nudge", one segment featured Reshma Saujani, politician & lawyer who founded Girls Who Code (GWC) in 2012. All sorts of companies are enthusiastically supporting GWC; the GWC 7-week Summer Immersion Program for 10th & 11th grade girls is offered free of charge for the students and includes time "at the hottest tech companies in the world!"

The NPR TED Radio Hour segment titled "Can Coding Help Girls Take Risks": audio and transcript.

Saujani's TED talk from earlier this year, titled "Teach Girls Bravery Not Perfection", which was the basis for this segment: video and transcript.

Read or listen to the whole thing if you like; she acknowledges that girls are outperforming boys academically but her view is that girls are taught they should be perfect and boys are taught they should be brave, and her view is that this results in significant drawbacks for girls/women. Not everyone will agree with her take on things, including her description of coding as "an endless process of trial and error". (As an aside, note that she doesn't seem to have a CS or other STEM background, FWIW.)?
The only good thing I can say about that episode is that I was mowing the lawn and it kept me energized by anger.

The idea that the difference between males and females is that the latter are perfectionists while the former are "good-enoughs" goes against one of the key differences that I see between female-dominated sub-fields of psychology (e.g., second-language acquisition) and male-dominated sub-fields (e.g., motor control). In the female sub-fields, you often see reams of crappy studies followed by a summary argument that admits that each study has problems, but the totality of the evidence supports X. In the male sub-fields, you often have one-experiments papers that nail some point because there are no (known) problems with the design or the data.

jimmyfromchicago

Post by jimmyfromchicago »

German StrutBoatsman wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I did the exam, won't get the results before Wednesday at least. Boy, they sure know how to make candidates stew.
We get our results immediately here in the US.

This is what you get for sticking with the EU. /jk
Every test has to be translated to German first, then approved by experts.
I bet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Billie from Ockham wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I was thinking that one or two pitters might find this interesting:

From War Is Boring What a T-90 Tank Looks Like After Being Hit by a TOW Missile
Several years ago, the Russians figured out how to mount those anti-tank missiles on fighter jets. No-one thought that it was possible, but they managed to do it. The reason that these haven't been seen in battle is that ... of all people ... those topless female activists (i.e., the FEMEN) protested violently. It seems that they have a problem with Mig-TOWs.
Erudite dad jokes are best dad jokes.

Billie from Ockham

jimmyfromchicago wrote:Yes, even if you're convicted of murder, you're still entitled to due process before your other rights are taken away. The result of the process may be obvious, but you're still entitled to it.
Got some news for you: a faculty committee is not the only way to get due process. I know that this is shocking to the folks who rely on the AAUP to keep the jobs that they aren't qualified to do, but it's actually true.

Educational unions are some of the worst in the US.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

German StrutBoatsman-- It does sound like you've been down this road, before me.

jimmyfromchicago-- You're right about diet & exercise.

Aneris-- Good advice. My cycle of routines to too constrained now. So I need to design more ambitious prompts.

Easy J-- hang in there.

brive-- so. how did you like the podcast?
---

Reading your reactions made me realize that I have made progress-- I'm more-functional than I was months ago/ and months before-that.
I'll probably progress past my current super-constrained routine, to one that's a better fit.

Billie from Ockham

jimmyfromchicago wrote:That probably came off snarkier than I intended.
I could care less about snark. My point was that someone else asked about Germany and I answered, but you saw fit to bitch to me about Germany being off-topic. Pay attention, Damion.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Blogs plural? So, what, are his sock puppets going to get their own blogs?

Billie from Ockham

jimmyfromchicago wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:If "due process" means you can't get rid of someone for assault and incitement on the job, then the "due process" is the problem.
"Due process" doesn't mean you can't fire people, it means you have to go through the appropriate procedures to do so. No one's defending Click here, least of all me.
OK. You're getting close. Now who should fire someone for a non-academic infraction? A faculty committee or those who run the entire organization?

some guy

Post by some guy »

dogen wrote:
deLurch wrote:Trump appears to not be doing so hot in the polls right now.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5952.html

The Muslim incident doesn't appear to have helped him all that much.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls ... -5491.html

I would say that this mostly has come from Trump not even bothering to campaign much recently. He isn't making the news.
Casting his eye enviously over the Brexit news, Trump announces that he's going to take the 50 states out of the Union...
Leaving the District of Colombia, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and Guantanamo Bay.

Billie from Ockham

feathers wrote:I can understand brain injury is not the cheerleader's first worry. How about backs and bones?
The famous/infamous Journal of Pediatrics study that caused all the noise found indirect evidence that one-third of cheerleaders suffered a concussion. Add in the metric of days-of-classes missed and this made cheerleading the most dangerous "sport" for females. But it still wasn't close to the dangers of (American) football.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

Ericb wrote:

I
It's going to be the blogging equivalent of Charlie's Angels.

Dave

Post by Dave »

feathers wrote:I can understand brain injury is not the cheerleader's first worry. How about backs and bones?
The famous/infamous Journal of Pediatrics study that caused all the noise found indirect evidence that one-third of cheerleaders suffered a concussion. Add in the metric of days-of-classes missed and this made cheerleading the most dangerous "sport" for females. But it still wasn't close to the dangers of (American) football.
Interesting. I know nothing of the original article, but quick googling found this:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... .2015-2447

Which is suggests that cheerleading ranks 18 out of 22 for highschool sports danger.

What amused me was that the rate of injury for boys in cheerleading was nearly twice that of girls.

(Disclaimer, only read the abstract, dont have access to the full article.)

Billie from Ockham

So the left-leaning interwebs is partying because Ginsberg wrote a paragraph that will supposedly prevent any other state from using anything like required admitting privileges to shut down abortion clinics. Problem is, that paragraph is in her concurring opinion on Whole Woman Health v Hellerstedt; it isn't in the majority opinion. So it actually means close to squat. The majority opinion is weaker and makes it possible for a different state to try a different route, so we'll probably get to do this again.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Cnutella wrote:
Ericb wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: ...
I
It's going to be the blogging equivalent of Charlie's Angels.
http://f.tqn.com/y/history1900s/1/L/l/E/1/manson.jpg

Billie from Ockham

Dave wrote:
Billie from Ockham wrote:The famous/infamous Journal of Pediatrics study that caused all the noise found indirect evidence that one-third of cheerleaders suffered a concussion. Add in the metric of days-of-classes missed and this made cheerleading the most dangerous "sport" for females. But it still wasn't close to the dangers of (American) football.
Interesting. I know nothing of the original article, but quick googling found this:
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/c ... .2015-2447

Which is suggests that cheerleading ranks 18 out of 22 for highschool sports danger.

What amused me was that the rate of injury for boys in cheerleading was nearly twice that of girls.

(Disclaimer, only read the abstract, dont have access to the full article.)
That's much more recent. The study that caused the big stir was in 2007 or 2008. It doesn't surprise me that injury rates are lower in high-school than college; my local school district has banned throwing little girls in the air, while the university team tried to set a new record for throwing one highest. I didn't know about the guys getting hurt more.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

jimmyfromchicago wrote:
German StrutBoatsman wrote:
deLurch wrote:We get our results immediately here in the US.

This is what you get for sticking with the EU. /jk
Every test has to be translated to German first, then approved by experts.
I bet!
But the best part is, we get the results immediately, too. :D

Dave

Post by Dave »

That's much more recent. The study that caused the big stir was in 2007 or 2008. It doesn't surprise me that injury rates are lower in high-school than college; my local school district has banned throwing little girls in the air, while the university team tried to set a new record for throwing one highest. I didn't know about the guys getting hurt more.
Everything my google-fu turns up is high-school related. The only thing I see placing cheerleading as first is percentage of catastrophic injuries suffered by highschool women, but that can easily be explained by the popularity of the sport even with a lower rate.

Shrug. Thought it was an interesting thing to google.

(The guys thing makes sense when other articles indicate the highest rate of injuries, even more than fliers, is incurred by the base of the pyramid.)

Billie from Ockham

If you aren't using google scholar, switch. Best to use Medline, but that might not be open access. If I drag my ass to work later, I'll find it. I'm home with a sun-burnt child.

jimmyfromchicago

jimmyfromchicago wrote:Yes, even if you're convicted of murder, you're still entitled to due process before your other rights are taken away. The result of the process may be obvious, but you're still entitled to it.
Got some news for you: a faculty committee is not the only way to get due process. I know that this is shocking to the folks who rely on the AAUP to keep the jobs that they aren't qualified to do, but it's actually true.

Educational unions are some of the worst in the US.
There are other ways to get due process, but the university hiring a high-priced law firm to produce a report and cover its ass while it gets rid of a public relations nightmare isn't one of them. Melissa Click is a cunt, but next time they could do this to someone who doesn't deserve this.

jimmyfromchicago

jimmyfromchicago wrote:That probably came off snarkier than I intended.
I could care less about snark. My point was that someone else asked about Germany and I answered, but you saw fit to bitch to me about Germany being off-topic. Pay attention, Damion.
I'm not sure where in my comment I was "bitching." I was mildly amused at most.

jimmyfromchicago

jimmyfromchicago wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:If "due process" means you can't get rid of someone for assault and incitement on the job, then the "due process" is the problem.
"Due process" doesn't mean you can't fire people, it means you have to go through the appropriate procedures to do so. No one's defending Click here, least of all me.
OK. You're getting close. Now who should fire someone for a non-academic infraction? A faculty committee or those who run the entire organization?
CBAs will typically require a panel consisting of a union-side rep, an employer-side rep, and a neutral third party, or employee and management can present their cases to a neutral arbitrator.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Used to be like this here as well, but too many examiners got attacked by angry candidates when learning their failure.
In the Netherlands, theoretical traffic tests have been completely computerised for over 30 years. So what should you attack? A terminal?

I would also set heavy penalties on such aggression. Boom, 6 months in the slammer with you, and no new chance for the coming 5 years.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Aneris wrote:If I was in your shoes, I'd create some artificial boxes for my day marked by ritual. Something like: In the morning I leave some leeway, but no later than time z, I get coffee, then I spend X time to do the paperwork. I have a routine like: every second day, in the evening, get into running shoes. Run three times a week, the remaining seventh day is a day off that I can move around. So when I didn't make it on Mon and Tue, I must run Wed, Fri, and Sun. And getting into thr running shoes is enough to start the thing. I focus on that, not on the running, because once in gear, my mind will anyway force me out onto the track.
Your shoes were made for running, and that's just what they'll do.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

"Strange Frequencies Radio is an internet radio show and podcast that aims to bring fun and facts back to the paranormal and world of the weird"

Richard Carrier was previously an expert guest on the show.

Now Richard Carrier's sex life is the subject of the weird paranormal show.

At first, I wasn't sure if the hosts would say anything the slymepit hadn't covered.
But this observation is a winner :

"Richard Carrier looks like the fuckin' flying spaghetti monster."

"In our interactions, he has been nothing but professional. But: he doesn't want to date us."

The host also does a Bill Clinton impersonation, when speculating about Carrier's inner-monologue. :lol:

Discussion starts after 1:24:45.

http://www.strangefrequenciesradio.net/ ... 7_full.mp3

Billie from Ockham

jimmyfromchicago wrote:CBAs will typically require a panel consisting of a union-side rep, an employer-side rep, and a neutral third party, or employee and management can present their cases to a neutral arbitrator.
She was tenure-track at Mizzou. Feel free to tell us what type of collective bargaining applies in that case. Or were you just bringing up something that you know is irrelevant as a distraction, Damion?

Shatterface

Post by Shatterface »

Ericb wrote:

Richard Carrier Blogs. It's a verb. No way is anyone joining him.

Billie from Ockham

Service Dog wrote:"Richard Carrier looks like the fuckin' flying spaghetti monster."
Not many people expected the second, third, fourth, fifth, etc, coming of the FSM to be some undergrad's face. I'll admit that it caught me off-guard.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Don't you mean *on* some undergrad's face?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dogen

Post by dogen »

So I've just been invited by Princeton University Press to write a book for their "Princeton Series in Astrophysics" line.

Stick that up your "respected academic press", Dr Sticky Dicky!

Billie from Ockham

jet_lagg wrote:Don't you mean *on* some undergrad's face?

Yep. I'm having too much fun to proof-read.

Sent from my left temporal lobe without passing through my right frontal lobe.

Billie from Ockham

dogen wrote:So I've just been invited by Princeton University Press to write a book for their "Princeton Series in Astrophysics" line.
Wow. Congrats!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Shatterface wrote:
Ericb wrote:

Richard Carrier Blogs. It's a verb. No way is anyone joining him.
Verbing weird language.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Gratz Dogen. The academic credentials around this place really do make me question what I've been doing with my life

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

dogen wrote:So I've just been invited by Princeton University Press to write a book for their "Princeton Series in Astrophysics" line.

Congratulations. That is great news. I hope there is a way to acquire a signed book.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Eskarina wrote:

Congratulations. That is great news. I hope there is a way to acquire a signed book.
I don't want to make any promises -- if I ever complete something, I'd be delighted to share copies; but I'm so fucking disillusioned with my job right now that it will be a miracle if any book ever gets written. Still, this might give me sufficient impetus to get off my flabby arse and claw my way back to productivity.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Hmmm. Princeton University Press. Well, it's an Ivy League institution. But does the press have much in the way of cachet? Let's check Wiki:
Six books from the Princeton University Press have won Pulitzer Prizes.
Dicky, if you're lurking: don't go and look for yourself. Just pretend I'm lying. Pretend I'm trolling you. It'll help.

Oh, and Dicky totally does look like the FSM. :lol:

some guy

Post by some guy »

I don't see no "Dr" and "Ph.D.", so this quite obviously is not our Dr Richard Carrier, Ph.D. (But I must say, the resemblence is uncanny.)

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

dogen wrote:
Eskarina wrote:

I don't want to make any promises -- if I ever complete something, I'd be delighted to share copies; but I'm so fucking disillusioned with my job right now that it will be a miracle if any book ever gets written. Still, this might give me sufficient impetus to get off my flabby arse and claw my way back to productivity.
Oh go ahead, you know you want to. ;)

/jk

You do whatever is best for you.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

feathers wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Used to be like this here as well, but too many examiners got attacked by angry candidates when learning their failure.
In the Netherlands, theoretical traffic tests have been completely computerised for over 30 years. So what should you attack? A terminal?

I would also set heavy penalties on such aggression. Boom, 6 months in the slammer with you, and no new chance for the coming 5 years.
The theory will be privatized and computerized starting next month. I'm one of the last ones to go through the governmental system. And I'm also one of the lucky few to have signed up for the A license (motorbike, all sizes) before May 31st. New reform has those who signed after that date be obliged to pass the A2 first (two years on a bike not exceeding 32.5kw before they can pass a 7-hours course to get to bigger cylinders).

And about the fucking test: more than 5 mistakes is eliminatory, and we did get some pretty stupid questions about eco-driving and other tree-hugging bullshit. I'll see how it went soon enough.

(Plus there was a question: a picture of two women wearing hijabs crossing the street with their kids. Four options: 1) sound the horn, 2) slow down, 3) stop, 4) accelerate. Honestly, it took me a while to answer that one...)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Pretty cool! If you don't have the spoons, get it ghost-written by Heina. Should buy you a few decades...

Dave

Post by Dave »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: (Plus there was a question: a picture of two women wearing hijabs crossing the street with their kids. Four options: 1) sound the horn, 2) slow down, 3) stop, 4) accelerate. Honestly, it took me a while to answer that one...)
I think I know the answer!!

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/up ... n-bike.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

And of course, the theory test is only directed at people who drive cars. I don't drive a car, never have, probably never will. They should reform some more and make a test specific to bikers.

feathers

Post by feathers »

You're a star! When it's out, I'll get to see it in our database no doubt (between the other 260M records).
You missed a chance to say "stick that up your star". Choices choices.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

dogen wrote:
Eskarina wrote:

If you get stuck you can always catalogue all the posts you've made here and publish that. :rimshot:

feathers

Post by feathers »

dogen wrote:I don't want to make any promises -- if I ever complete something, I'd be delighted to share copies; but I'm so fucking disillusioned with my job right now that it will be a miracle if any book ever gets written.
Let me guess, you're disillusioned because it dawned on you that them stars are far away. I mean really, really far away. A mindnumbingly bloody outrageously frustrating nerve-wrecking long way away.

I completely understand. I once wanted to land on one too.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:(Plus there was a question: a picture of two women wearing hijabs crossing the street with their kids. Four options: 1) sound the horn, 2) slow down, 3) stop, 4) accelerate. Honestly, it took me a while to answer that one...)
You can combine the horn with a firm trot on the accelerator to give them an honest chance.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Dave wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: (Plus there was a question: a picture of two women wearing hijabs crossing the street with their kids. Four options: 1) sound the horn, 2) slow down, 3) stop, 4) accelerate. Honestly, it took me a while to answer that one...)
I think I know the answer!!

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/up ... n-bike.jpg
So how quickly would that bike stop going forward, and start going backward, if those gatlings were fired? Or would the bike flip?

Billie from Ockham

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:(Plus there was a question: a picture of two women wearing hijabs crossing the street with their kids. Four options: 1) sound the horn, 2) slow down, 3) stop, 4) accelerate. Honestly, it took me a while to answer that one...)
It was a trick question. The kids are the property of their father(s).

Hope you did OK on the other questions.

dogen

Post by dogen »

feathers wrote:
dogen wrote:I don't want to make any promises -- if I ever complete something, I'd be delighted to share copies; but I'm so fucking disillusioned with my job right now that it will be a miracle if any book ever gets written.
Let me guess, you're disillusioned because it dawned on you that them stars are far away. I mean really, really far away. A mindnumbingly bloody outrageously frustrating nerve-wrecking long way away.

I completely understand. I once wanted to land on one too.
In fact, for me that's one of the coolest aspects of astrophysics. Consider:
Of all objects, the planets are those which appear to us under the least varied aspect. We see how we may determine their forms, their distances, their bulk, and their motions, but we can never known anything of their chemical or mineralogical structure; and, much less, that of organized beings living on their surface ...

Auguste Comte, The Positive Philosophy, Book II, Chapter 1 (1842)
How wrong he was! Not only can we infer the (surface) compositions of stars from their spectra, we can now look inside them using asteroseismology. Some of my mates just published a pair of papers (one observational, one theoretical) where they apply asteroseismology to measure magnetic fields in the cores of red giant stars. Holy shit!

No sign of organized beings yet, however...

dogen

Post by dogen »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
dogen wrote:
Eskarina wrote: Congratulations. That is great news. I hope there is a way to acquire a signed book.
If you get stuck you can always catalogue all the posts you've made here and publish that. :rimshot:
I think there's probably too high a cunt-to-science ratio for my posts to be publishable...