Post by Gefan »

sKepptiksowat wrote:White Cock Of Asia?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3897/w ... sehoro.jpg
Shouldn't it be smaller?

Gefan

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by Gefan »

John Greg wrote:
If Oolon were a moderately better writer, he'd be louis.
LOL. Spot on.
Possibly thanks to Oolon, I always hear Louis' posts in an English accent.

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

BarnOwl wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote: Who's next, Eric Clapton?

On Freethought Blogs
At PZ's place
Dread banhammer.
Disagreement?
No more comments!
You've been dungeoned.
HaHa, Oh wow, the original bridge (or whatever it is) works as well.

I'll wait in this place
where the sun never shines;
Wait in this place
where the shadows run from themselves.
:music-rockon:

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

OMG, this is rich.

Apparently, WISCON is either run by misogynists or the patriarchy is preventing baby-sitting at this con.
Of all conferences, I would have thought THIS one would have childcare.

I guess they don't give a fuck about moms or something.

http://i.imgur.com/nDLJo0k.png

Who is Melody expecting a grant from?????

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Skep tickle wrote:
Michael J wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Louis wrote:When used as insults terms like "bitch" and "twat" and "cunt" are inseparable from sexism. ...
What is hard for me is that in Australia cunt can be a term of affection as in "How 'r' ya goin' you old cunt"
No, you are wrong. It is a horribly sexist term. Therefore it could never, ever be a term of affection.
[/FtB-Skepchick-A+ word police]
You're a good cunt.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

HoneyWagon wrote:OMG, this is rich.

Apparently, WISCON is either run by misogynists or the patriarchy is preventing baby-sitting at this con.

The Richard Dawkins Foundation, of course!

Fuckin' hypo-fuckin-crites beyond kompare. Spit.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Welch & Pitchguest each mentioned Avicenna (within the past page). I'd seen that name but didn't go looking. Male, I think. Went looking, now see some stuff there that looks interesting, notably:

(a) his controversial stance last fall on Home Births (in a post titled "It's Not Feminism Just Because It Claims to Empower Women") in which he/she was called a misogynist here (links to his FtB blog) by a commenter who did not then get banned (as he/she commented later in the thread), and

(b) his more recent blog post "You are Judged by the Company You Keep" here (links to his FtB blog), mentioned by Welch w/in past day here (and about which Justicar made a video). Avicenna says this in his opening post (I think there's a word missing from the first sentence here, probably "keep"):
...You are always judged by the company you keep and I have slowly come to notice that the company that many naysayers against Free Thought Blogs and the like are not acceptable. The argument one individual from the slymepit made was “free speech”, well we have free speech here.

Watch this. I think Atheism Plus is heavily mishandled and it’s pure utilisation of safe zones makes debate and discourse impossible. In addition it takes a very very protectionist attitude to both culture and a purely western attitude towards feminism which is simply not universal or applicable in every situation. However due to the lack of any actual method of discourse there is no way to create active change through it. It is unfortunately a pure academic form of feminism and is unsuitable for punching out gender discrepancies in third world nations. It’s participants have little actual experience in field work and from experience are unwilling to defer to anyone who is outside the sphere of their security nor were they willing to grasp that principles are great if you can afford to have them. I have even spoken out explicitly against their cultural/race aspect of their movement because a lot of it tries to paint culture with a big fuck off brush rather than realising individual nuance.

Oh look! It’s a stance I have stated before I moved here. At no point was I ever hassled by the “FTBullies”. In fact my interviewer was Stephanie Zvan and when I specifically mentioned my apprehension with Atheism Plus we discussed precisely the above statement.

Oh look it’s genuine criticism of the movement. I have also disagreed with people like Taslima on Prostitution and Ian Cromwell on race. But the thing is through it all we have been specific about what we dislike about the other’s work. We haven’t stooped to personal attacks (Although I did offer to have a “shout racial slurs at each other till we both lose” contest with Ian),

I am not part of A+, but neither am I in the camp of the Slymepit because of the company they keep.
Seems like a relatively frank evaluation of Atheism Plus forum. Great.

But other than Richard Carrier's blinders-on view of it, I'm not aware of any of the FtB bloggers appearing to claim or stand up for the Atheism Plus forum. The absence of vocal support for it has actually been pretty noticeable.

Jen might have spawned it, but she shoved it out to the doorstep and locked the door as soon as it was born. I've seen something like 4 posts from Greta at the A+ forum (she started the Justin Vacula petition thread in the forum, and some other thread about cooking, not sure what else). I haven't noticed posts from any other FtB bloggers there.

So, yay for free speech, but it's also not clear that they necessarily disagree with Avicenna; they just wouldn't say it out loud.

For bonus points, Avicenna could try giving his frank assessment of a couple of things at FtB, starting perhaps with PZ's commentariat. Just to test how free the speech is, in the company he keeps.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Skep tickle wrote:I haven't noticed posts from any other FtB bloggers there.
No, but would the A+ graphic on PZ's blog that links to http://outcampaign.org/ count as support?

comslave

Post by comslave »

somedumbguy wrote:Pharyngula is literally filled with tentacle rape.
Why yes, I'll have some.
http://www.japanator.com/elephant/ul/17 ... -grape.jpg

comslave

Post by comslave »

HoneyWagon wrote:OMG, this is rich.

Did she ask for one? Does Dawkins even know about this conference?

comslave

Post by comslave »

Cunning Punt wrote:http://i.imgur.com/HmNONe6.png

Who's next, Eric Clapton?

"banhammer hard"= being blocked on one of the fastest dying blogs on the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jimmy Russel

Post by Jimmy Russel »

comslave wrote:being blocked on one of the fastest dying blogs on the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know this is probably somewhat hyperbole, but is there any metrics to show this? It would be interesting and gratifying to know that place isn't the giant fort it appears to be.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

bhoytony wrote:I see Phil is lying low after inviting his friend to look down upon us from on high and deliver his wisdom on tablets of stone that we may gaze on them in awe.
Is Phil on another two-glasses-of-Baileys bender or is he just embarassed?
Neither embarassed nor drunk (I've stopped drinking again. It's an on-and-off thing).

I'm still catching up on a shitload of pages I've missed these last couple of days. I am not going to engage Louis on any of these subject, since we agreed to disagree quite some time ago, and I have nothing really new to contribute.

I have to admit that, knowing Louis as a friend I read those exchanges between Louis and the Pitters in a different light than usual, being (most probably unconsciously) more charitable with regard to his posts than I would otherwise be. In other words, I am biased. It doesn't mean I don't think some of the things Louis says are ignorant, bloody stupid, or just plain full of shit, but I prefer to read the interactions he has with other Pitters. No need for me to cluster the talk anymore than it already is.

So you guys can think all you want about Louis' character in light of his excursion here, but I will stand by what I previously said about him. I don't know, maybe you should have known him for as long as I have (since 2008 AE's AtBC) to get where he's coming from. What some of you might consider pompousness and smug patronizing, I've seen from being on his side of the argument, and it never bothered me at the time. It was efficient against IDists and creationists, and most of all it was entertaining and funny. I still read him like that, even on those issues where we strongly disagree. And I guess maybe that's what's going on with him WRT Myers.

Now, to be frank, nothing he says could sway my opinion of Myers and the most obnoxious commenters at Pharyngula. But to be franker, this is not exactly why I was hoping he'd come here in the first place.

Anyway, lot's of catch-up to do now...

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Lsuoma wrote:
erikthebasshole wrote:Women turn in to “invisible pixels” when a slymepitter is around. They will attack them, slur them, but they do everything they can to avoid talking directly to them.
Hey SN, Abbie, sacha, Renee, fascination, Vicky, etc., etc. (apologies for not listing everyone, and deliberately ignoring Tammy Strop Teenager): how do you like THEM "invisible pixels", eh?
invisible.jpg
(31.42 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Boo!

Reap

Post by Reap »

Skep tickle wrote:
welch wrote:BAAHAHAHAHAAH...PeeZus tries to burn me, and fails:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ment-32266
welch wrote:
PeeZus wrote:And Welch listed one. One, who we kicked out of FtB despite the fact that he was and is a personal friend to some of us. We stuck to our principles. You cannot possibly say we support his actions when we made the most severe possible sanction against him.

You bozos can’t say the same.
Last I checked, the set of “company you keep” would include the set of “personal friend(s)”.

It helps, it really, really helps, if when trying to prove me wrong, you don’t prove my points for me. Perhaps you should wander over to the English Department at UMinn, and see if there’s a student available to intern for you, so that you might be taught some of these basic concepts.
Good posts there. But aren't you violating your own advice not to engage them on their turf? (Presumably to correct what they attributed to you, but still.)

I'm getting a little confused about the invisible pixels thing. I thought that referred to

[spoiler]your dick
:rimshot:[/spoiler]

yea Welch aren't you going against the .....nevermind I'm glad you are. On another note- Skep tickle check ur messages when you have a free moment will ya?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Jimmy Russel wrote:
comslave wrote:being blocked on one of the fastest dying blogs on the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know this is probably somewhat hyperbole, but is there any metrics to show this? It would be interesting and gratifying to know that place isn't the giant fort it appears to be.
People have pulled various stats for it - the only I know how to get would be on alexa.com although that's for all of FtB.

Michael K Gray

Atheism (less) Child Care

Post by Michael K Gray »

This revelation that the Women in Skepticism conference is NOT going to have child-care facilities has blown my lid!
I mean, WTF?
Is it an oversight?
Was it planned this way?
Are the organisers selfish lamebrains?
Did they spend money on airfares and speaker's fees in lieu of even basic child-care?
I am truly staggered and stunned that self-professed feminists neglect this vital detail!

They have the audacity to slander Richard Dawkins, (neglecting the fact that he was the first to offer and fund child-care at secular meetings, before that poisonous parasite Beccy-boo-boos (spit) "came up" with the notion and claimed that he did it because of her, the lying cunt).

"We haven't got a grant yet" is the excuse of a clueless sociopath.

Again: WTF?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm going to just sit and see how long it takes for Amy to start selling child-care ceramics in the shape of little babies to fund things.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Gefan wrote:
John Greg wrote:
If Oolon were a moderately better writer, he'd be louis.
LOL. Spot on.
Possibly thanks to Oolon, I always hear Louis' posts in an English accent.
Fuckin aye to that

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

rayshul wrote:I'm going to just sit and see how long it takes for Amy to start selling child-care ceramics in the shape of little babies to fund things.
Too late.
Etsy already have a range.
I bought this one a few years ago:
FÅ“tus in a jar necklace.
http://img3.etsystatic.com/006/1/537404 ... 3_mu3q.jpg

Reap

Post by Reap »

Mykeru wrote:
Reap wrote: Now people who don't know any better will read PZ's blog and learn what a terrible person I am.
No, what's really an outrage is how those goons keep giving you credit for half the shit I pull.
You don't take that as a compliment?? You owe me a podcast btw...what are ya, chicken?

cunt

Post by cunt »

$210 to attend, an optional $85 dinner afterwards, and they're sitting on their hands waiting for someone (presumably RDF) to give them a grant.

Great stuff.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Back in 1997 the Paris police called a garage that specialized in British Leyland cars: they wanted to know how to get an engine out of a 1961 Princess.
Shit, yea. I've never heard that one. In fact, I think the worst one I've heard about that incident was your basic "What was the last thing that went through Diana's mind before she died...?".
What are the similarities between Lady Diana's car and a police car? In both of them, a drunk guy is driving, and there's an arab and a prostitute in the back. (now, that one is tasteless, racist and sexist. It's been going around in France since a couple weeks after the accident. I don't condone, just trying to stay in the spirit)

And a rape joke for future quotemining:

Best pickup line ever: -"here, does this rag smell of chloroform?"

Now, I'll get my coat...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

cunt wrote:$210 to attend, an optional $85 dinner afterwards, and they're sitting on their hands waiting for someone (presumably RDF) to give them a grant.
Great stuff.
I was joking about RDF giving them a grant for child-care.
Going by past performance, the "waiting for a grant" is a post hoc fabrication.
"Oh fark! You know what we liek totally forgot?"
"No."
"Farking CHILD CARE! The Slymepit will tear us to shreds if they catch wind of this!"
"I know. We'll say we are 'waiting' for funding or a grant or something, and that will provide plausible deniability for our Feminist Balls-up."

Notung

Re: Atheism (less) Child Care

Post by Notung »

Michael K Gray wrote:This revelation that the Women in Skepticism conference is NOT going to have child-care facilities has blown my lid!
My lid has been blown too. It really is beyond parody, isn't it?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Michael K Gray wrote:This revelation that the Women in Skepticism conference is NOT going to have child-care facilities has blown my lid!
I mean, WTF?
Is it an oversight?
Was it planned this way?
Did they spend money on airfares and speaker's fees in lieu of even basic child-care?
I am truly staggered and stunned that self-professed feminists neglect this vital detail!

They have the audacity to slander Richard Dawkins, (neglecting the fact that he was the first to offer and fund child-care at secular meetings, before that poisonous parasite Beccy-boo-boos (spit) "came up" with the notion and claimed that he did it because of her, the lying cunt).

Obviously a case of Teh Patriachy!
Oppression is a bitch.
And so they hand us yet another stick to beat them with. The lack of foresight is hilarious.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I find the omission of child care arrangements for WISC astounding, especially considering the amount of rhetoric about making conferences more welcoming for women that comes from the blowhards such as Hensley.

I'd love to take a look at the accounts! Watch where the money goes in any outfit and that will tell you about where their priorities lie. I got a hold of the accounts for a church once, and the cash sread was very revealing. Pastor salaries were phenomenal, whereas the investment in any real tangible "good work" was minimal.

So where has all the money gone? That they are now, and i stress, now, going to be grant beging to cover their asses.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I'd love to take a look at the accounts! Watch where the money goes in any outfit and that will tell you about where their priorities lie. I got a hold of the accounts for a church once, and the cash sread was very revealing. Pastor salaries were phenomenal, whereas the investment in any real tangible "good work" was minimal.
I think Justicar did a video on the CFI finances. Some of it's directors get paid $100,000+ per year for less than a months worth of work if I remember rightly.

Michael K Gray

Feminist Fuckup

Post by Michael K Gray »

Za-zen wrote:...That they are now, and i stress, now, going to be grant beging to cover their asses.
Asses? Begging for last minute Child-Care?
Straw ain't that expensive.
Perhaps they need to set up a manger area.
We already have a piccy of the scene somewhere...
(Sorry. That's the Passion of Smudgeface. With FfTBoggers as saints.)
I am imagining a cheesy manger scene.
Bethlehem, 0AD, about teat time.
Enter Unwise men...

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Well, it seems I have a few pages to plow through. However ...
Zenspace wrote:First, the quotes presented, as stand alone comments, are meaningless. As you have said in many of your own responses - context matters. Both of the statements offered are structured such that they need the context of the surrounding conversation to comprise a coherent statement.
This is a very good point. Context matters. Also, charitable reading or giving people the benefit of the doubt. Here's a prime example of that:

A while ago, PZ posted a video under the concept of The LOLcat phenomenon. This is where it will end up. The video IMO was lame, unfunny, and stupid. PZ thought it was funny. Whatever. But the point is that many of his readers thought the video is sexist and full of rape jokes. They disagreed, called him on it which is all fine. But here is what they did not do: they did not accuse PZ of being a sexist bully, someone who thinks it is all right to abuse people in need. They did not attack his character, they did not label him, and they did not write blog posts after blog posts complaining about PZ's rape jokes. They gave him charitable reading, and accepted that as a small mistake but at the same time, they kept big picture in mind in which PZ is their ally.

When it came to Shermer, as well as many others, they did not do the same thing. When Ophelia posted an old card of Mark Zuckerberg, nobody mentioned that many Makr Zuckerberg has changed. Nobody assumed perhaps that was just a mistake. The pattern is very clear: if you are not one of them, they will not offer you charitable reading, and any mistake will be interpretted as exposing your racist inner self.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Well it's in may so they have plenty of time to arrange it. Also plenty of time for Watson, Greta, Ophelia, Svan etc. to make a principled stand over the issue.

Of course if anyone points this out to them, it'll be because they hate women. I think my heads going to explode.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Lets be honest, a lot of the SJW types would probably think that women waving their children around might trigger those women who are sterile, pre-operative or unfuckable. Because you know, it's the patriarchy.

surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

I see that Ophelia has stated that she is very tired of all the misogyny and how it affects her, because blogging is her livelihood and it just is not possible therefore to turn away from it now. This is a common theme, what with Rebecca and Jennifer and Natalie all referencing the same frustrations. No one should have to put up with this nonsense. Attacking ideas is fine but attacking individuals is not and it obviously is affecting then psychologically. Rebecca once suggested she had doubts about going on because it was affecting the quality of her life. Well fair enough but I would urge anyone who is challenging misogyny - or any prejudice - and who is in the public arena to carry on now, because this has got to stop and the only way to do that is by routinely and actively condemning it now. So do I and unequivocally too

But it might also help if there was more dialogue between those who were only interested in debate and not abuse. Because maybe it would filter out to everyone else. If wishes were horses, I know, but there are some of us who think it is possible to engage without all the drama too. In the meantime, I will give my full support to Ophelia in hoping she can carry on. Now I do not agree with everything she says, but that does not mean that I cannot engage with her as a human being nonetheless. I hope she hangs in there now, and does not allow intimidation to affect her. I know I once said something to her that was serious but I no longer engage like that now. But this continuous onslaught makes me wonder where herself and the others get all their energy from. I wish them all the best now and look forward to the day when everyone in the atheist online community can come together as human beings and not as cyber enemies, like at present but as I always say when I mention this - I will not be holding my breath on that unfortunately

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

welch wrote:
TheMan wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: As Stephen Fry once said to Lorraine Kelly while trying to convince her to use swear words, "Go on... have a stab at a cunt". Use it and it will have it's meaning changed, it will lose it's power to shock.
Yes..and once that happens we'll need to find another word that has shock value as a replacement.
Shitcock?
Jeremy Hunt?

Richard Dworkins

So how did attempts at your own personal style of olive branch waving go over at Atheism Plus? Do a lot of bridge building or were you treated with contempt?

Richard Dworkins

The above post of mine was aimed at Surreptitious57

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

surreptitious57 wrote:I see that Ophelia has stated that she is very tired of all the misogyny and how it affects her, because blogging is her livelihood and it just is not possible therefore to turn away from it now. This is a common theme, what with Rebecca and Jennifer and Natalie all referencing the same frustrations. No one should have to put up with this nonsense. Attacking ideas is fine but attacking individuals is not and it obviously is affecting then psychologically. Rebecca once suggested she had doubts about going on because it was affecting the quality of her life. Well fair enough but I would urge anyone who is challenging misogyny - or any prejudice - and who is in the public arena to carry on now, because this has got to stop and the only way to do that is by routinely and actively condemning it now. So do I and unequivocally too

But it might also help if there was more dialogue between those who were only interested in debate and not abuse. Because maybe it would filter out to everyone else. If wishes were horses, I know, but there are some of us who think it is possible to engage without all the drama too. In the meantime, I will give my full support to Ophelia in hoping she can carry on. Now I do not agree with everything she says, but that does not mean that I cannot engage with her as a human being nonetheless. I hope she hangs in there now, and does not allow intimidation to affect her. I know I once said something to her that was serious but I no longer engage like that now. But this continuous onslaught makes me wonder where herself and the others get all their energy from. I wish them all the best now and look forward to the day when everyone in the atheist online community can come together as human beings and not as cyber enemies, like at present but as I always say when I mention this - I will not be holding my breath on that unfortunately
I know, i too would like to extend this sentiment to all the charlatans, priests and popes who weary of the constant malicous attacks they suffer, hang in there, you are victims of hatemongers who won't leave you alone to peddle bullshit.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

surreptitious57 wrote:I see that Ophelia has stated that she is very tired of all the misogyny and how it affects her, because blogging is her livelihood and it just is not possible therefore to turn away from it now. This is a common theme, what with Rebecca and Jennifer and Natalie all referencing the same frustrations. No one should have to put up with this nonsense. Attacking ideas is fine but attacking individuals is not and it obviously is affecting then psychologically. Rebecca once suggested she had doubts about going on because it was affecting the quality of her life. Well fair enough but I would urge anyone who is challenging misogyny - or any prejudice - and who is in the public arena to carry on now, because this has got to stop and the only way to do that is by routinely and actively condemning it now. So do I and unequivocally too

Replace some of the terms in:
The settlement of the Czechoslovakian problem, which has now been achieved is, in my view, only the prelude to a larger settlement in which all Europe may find peace. This morning I had another talk with the German Chancellor, Herr Hitler, and here is the paper which bears his name upon it as well as mine. Some of you, perhaps, have already heard what it contains but I would just like to read it to you: ' ... We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again.
— Neville Chaimberlain, Heston Aerodrome on 30 September 1938
And you have suspicious57's mewlings.

decius

Post by decius »

surreptitious57 wrote: In the meantime, I will give my full support to Ophelia in hoping she can carry on. Now I do not agree with everything she says, but that does not mean that I cannot engage with her as a human being nonetheless.
Yeah, because she's such a fine specimen thereof, one truly interested in honest engagement.

Do you live in a hermitage?

decius

Post by decius »

Za-zen wrote: I know, i too would like to extend this sentiment to all the charlatans, priests and popes who weary of the constant malicous attacks they suffer, hang in there, you are victims of hatemongers who won't leave you alone to peddle bullshit.
:lol:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Over at A+, Setar has a new sig:
"The system protects itself with indignation against a challenge to the right of deceit in the service of power, and the very idea of subjecting the ideological system to rational inquiry elicits incomprehension or outrage, though it is often masked in other terms." ~ Noam Chomsky, Necessary Illusions
I'm guessing s/h/it doesn't see how perfectly that quote describes A+, FTB and Skepchick.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv17 ... /irony.gif

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

For the Aussies, on ABC Iview you can watch a few interesting programs:

A must watch is All in the Best Possible Taste with Grayson Perry: Grayson is a openly transvestite UK artist who wants to create tapestries depicting contemporary life focusing on the classes (UK). Episode one dealt with the Working Class: Hotted up cars, and footy for the blokes... fake tans and big hair for the chicks. Episode two delt with the Middle classes of which there are two main flavours, the buy in middle class...where it's all about status symbols (Range Rovers..not Bently's) and cultured middle class (eclectic nic naks, Organic market patrons,educated and progressive). Looking forward to next week where he tackles the Aristocrats....should be a hoot. The series so far has been riveying in looking at how the classes function and behave...very telling. Made by the BBC

Also interesting: Ladyboys. This is a program looking at men who fall in love with Thai Ladyboys. The men talk openly about their thoughts and how they see themselves. The young guy who's about to marry a ladyboy makes his future in-laws proud. They've accepted him with open arms...but he hasn't told his parents yet....why not? Next episode will be awesome. The other male featured is a middle aged self confessed dirty old man. When he discovered Ladyboys, apparently quite by surprise, he fell in love. Won't spoil it any further than that but the question of gender identity comes up and the self reflecting internalising is facinating.

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?WT.srch=1& ... V_iview_au Geo location locks in place for foreigners...but since this is the aussie shift time period all I can say is sucked in....

Also on Radio National last night between 6:30pm and 7pm...podcast not up on website yet, was an interesting talk about online Privacy and making things public. Didn;t catch his whole talk but he was taking the view that making things public is the most helpful way to go on the net and we shouldn't be so paranoid about privacy on the net..when for example...people can work out things about you just by looking at you (approx age, sex, race, class... etc). Will keep an eye out for the link so I can catch the conclusions. He had a compelling POV

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Can somebody with the capabilities screencap @nikephorious' willingness to kneecap people for Benson. First off she doesn't call it out, but offers an alternative! Secondly he later claims to be a lawyer! That is one guy who is obviously thick as fuck, since he seems to be in Scotland, and that one tweet could possibly get him disbarred.

For those who don't know "kneecapping" is where you use a hammer or a weapon to destroy someones kneecap. Most commonly ssociated with punishment beatings in N.Ireland, where it was routinely dished out by paramilitaries to people who fucked with them, or generally who they didn't like.

I'm N.Irish, from the estates, grew up with the violence, knew people who were whacked, was politically involved myself, and would most heartedly welcome this scottish wankers attempt to kneecap me, the bravado of such a middle class wanke! Douchewad.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Za-zen wrote:Can somebody with the capabilities screencap @nikephorious' willingness to kneecap people for Benson.
I could if you gave the url...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Michael K Gray

Kneecap Knickerphorius

Post by Michael K Gray »

Is this it?
201301122148-Nikephorius-Kneecap2.png
(89.75 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
(The original is 2x that resolution.)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

That's the one. Good man MKG.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Za-zen wrote:...Secondly he later claims to be a lawyer!
Maybe not:
201301122148-Nikephorius-Lawyer2.png
(111.62 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Damn sorry for the misread! Not a lawyer then, just a barrack room one. I blame his urge to kneecap for making me burst into hysterical fits of laughter, and therefore misread his "lawyer" nonsense.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

So he either kneecaps people, or gets the police or his lawyer. Schizophrenic?

Come on Ophelia, you replied to that tweet without disgust! Where's your blog piece!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Maybe not:
Actually, I must admit that at first I read him as saying that he was a lawyer.
It it that blasted analepsis/prolepsis bugbear happening again where the "I'm a white" appears on line one, and directly beneath it is the text: "lawyer".
The eyes fool you. Just ask Randi or that evil libraratarian Penn Gillette!

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Cunning Punt wrote: What has Michael Shermer got to do with this? How would an awareness of this kind of thing (which I'm sure he already knows goes on) moderate the position he took in his last article?
She keeps writing blog posts about him because she's harassing him hoping he'll write another article about her which will allow her to play the victim card again, while raking in some lovely revenue from all the extra page views her blog'll get.

jimthepleb

Re: Kneecap Knickerphorius

Post by jimthepleb »

Michael K Gray wrote:Is this it?
[spoiler]
201301122148-Nikephorius-Kneecap2.png
[/spoiler]
(The original is 2x that resolution.)
Bah had to create a twitter account to counter that sectarian bullshit....what a class A wanker.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I mean, WTF?
Is it an oversight?
Was it planned this way?

Hold on, check your privilege.

Assuming that just because women are attending this conference that they may need childcare services is sexist and misogynistic and a leftover idea of patriarchal oppression. Also many women can't have children and the sight of kids or knowledge that they are in the vicinity might cause a triggering event, because of ableist oppression and/or possible transphobia. It might also cause DEEP RIFTS if there are any womyn there who dislike associating with open "breeders". Furthermore, should childcare services be provided, who shall care for the children? If you staff the kids' area with women then you are furthering the misogyny and might as well be telling them that they should stay barefoot in the kitchen baking and popping out offspring for their men! If you staff the kids' area with men, well we all know from Greg Laden that all men have rape switches, so the likelihood is that they could prey upon the children! So you see, until we have a non-gendered asexual robot who can provide childcare in an offsite underground safe space away from the conference where the kids may induce triggers in attendees, then childcare is not feasible.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Maybe not:
Actually, I must admit that at first I read him as saying that he was a lawyer.
It it that blasted analepsis/prolepsis bugbear happening again where the "I'm a white" appears on line one, and directly beneath it is the text: "lawyer".
The eyes fool you. Just ask Randi or that evil libraratarian Penn Gillette!
(Insert anal prolapse gag here)
Two new and complementary words for me today, cheers MKG.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

TedDahlberg wrote:
welch wrote:
TheMan wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote: As Stephen Fry once said to Lorraine Kelly while trying to convince her to use swear words, "Go on... have a stab at a cunt". Use it and it will have it's meaning changed, it will lose it's power to shock.
Yes..and once that happens we'll need to find another word that has shock value as a replacement.
Shitcock?
Jeremy Hunt?
"If I could shit out my cock"?

I also have super-secret connections to B3TA. Tell Peez.

Apples

if PZ had a hammer

Post by Apples »

PZ wrote:I will banhammer you hard.
PZ's 12-year-old-boy-at-the-keyboard thor-fantasy is showing again. Actually .... he will *type-type-type* block your pseudonym at his blog and *tap-tap-tap* put you in his computer dungeon. He can't "hammer" you, and he sure as hell can't banhammer you "hard," probably not even if his dick bumps his laptop. I know I'm not the first to point out that his persona at Pharyngula is an obvious compensation for a feeling of total powerlessness in his off-line life.

Laden is of course a similar case ... (heh heh trying to ban somebody from their own facebook page :D). An internet 'badass' who is a total omega-runt IRL.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ERV wrote:
deanesmay wrote:OK, so, short summary is, anyone who is skeptical or critical of their position is an ORC, ala Lord of the Ring orcs--not, you know, human or anything.
... Really?

No one has mentioned the new guys BEAUTIFUL ANGELIC HAIR OH MY GOD SO PRETTY YOU LOOK LIKE DAVID GILMOUR WHY DO SO MANY GUYS HERE HAVE LONG PRETTY HAIR?
Old picture of me:

http://s14.beta.photobucket.com/user/Pi ... sort=3&o=0

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Pitchguest wrote:
ERV wrote:
deanesmay wrote:OK, so, short summary is, anyone who is skeptical or critical of their position is an ORC, ala Lord of the Ring orcs--not, you know, human or anything.
... Really?

No one has mentioned the new guys BEAUTIFUL ANGELIC HAIR OH MY GOD SO PRETTY YOU LOOK LIKE DAVID GILMOUR WHY DO SO MANY GUYS HERE HAVE LONG PRETTY HAIR?
Old picture of me:

What did you do to Becca?

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Pitchguest wrote:
ERV wrote:
... Really?

Old picture of me:

Mmmm bop.