Ophelia Benson *
Greta Christina *
Katha Pollit
Susan Jacoby
Jennifer Michael Hecht
Maryam Namazie
Soraya Chemaly *
Shelley Segal
OK, quick analysis of the speakers at the conference who were asked whether they wanted to sign (I've removed those who Svan said she specifically excluded.)

So thirteen signed.
That sounds a lot, but lets look into it a little deeper.

I see eleven on the list who are either writers for skepchick or who are their FTB allies, in addition to a couple of strongly gender feminist speakers (Soraya Chemaly and Vicky Garrison). I guess these may be the ones likely to sign.

That leaves just two more - which could include Shelley Segal, the singer and one more person.
Either way, once you take out the usual suspects you are left with the logical conclusion that there are a lot of big names who did not sign.

In other words, once you remove the skepchick-FTB axis from the picture, the vast majority of speakers refused to sign Svans letter.

Gefan

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Gefan »

bovarchist wrote:I am now forever referring to Svan as "Svan of Lyin'"
Since I'm sure at least one of you is already hard at work on this - before you post a photoshop of the Stephalump in the actual Seven on Nine costume, I have two words for you: Trigger Warning.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

TheMan wrote:I think this will catch-on.

[youtube]o-50GjySwew[/youtube]

Camel Toe comes free of charge....now I've done it.
And don't forget...

[youtube]G8fRyj0Y900[/youtube]

Anyone want to give odds these were both shot in Florida?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ERV wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Outwest wrote:Notice she didn't identify for her readers who the others are. I wonder if they're afraid of backlash. That's standing up, isn't it? They're probably afraid people will start boycotting their appearances. Then again, were there really 13 or is that another fabrication?
I noticed that too. Why are the names of the dirty dozen not mentioned? Are they ashamed? Are they cowards?

Who said something about always naming names?
The Collective generally dont use names. Just numbers. The character you know as 'Svan' is One of Thirteen.
WHO IS NUMBER FIVE?
http://dyingunderalienstars.files.wordp ... lights.jpg

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Gefan wrote:
Anyone want to give odds these were both shot in Florida?
Joanna Rohrback, B.H.S.
Owner/MGR.M of Prancercise LLC,
8801 W. Atlantic Blvd. #770460
Coral Springs,Fl.33077
(Obviously not a doxxing - it's from http://prancercise.com/about/ )

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

What? Your relining the floors? You'll need to seal that paper with at least 3 coats of floor sealing varnish. I like the Rock and Roll cat scratching post you have...cool!

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:(I've removed those who Svan said she specifically excluded.)
I missed that. Why did Svan specifically exclude them? Did she not ask because she kind of knew that they were not sympathetic? Or could there have been a concern that asking them to sign might have prompted a polar opposite reaction? Such as those speakers sending a counter letter to the CFI?

Kind of like how political parties sometimes leave non-sympathetic voters alone, as contacting them might just piss them off enough to go to the polls. e.g. Planned Parenthood received a donation from me while I was on the phone with one slimy phone call tried to use abortion as a reason to motivate me to vote their direction.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Wouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interests if Hensley signed, as she's a memeber of the board?

TheMan: I am the cat's scratching post.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Wouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interests if Hensley signed, as she's a memeber of the board?

Edina Monsoon quoted this earlier (#27816), though not quite sure where it came from:
(Out of deference to those who are already dealing with a difficult situation and potential conflicts of interest, we have not given Melody Hensley, Lauren Becker, Debbie Goddard, or Elizabeth Cornwell an opportunity to sign this letter though they spoke at the conference.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Steersman wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Wouldn't there be some sort of conflict of interests if Hensley signed, as she's a memeber of the board?

Edina Monsoon quoted this earlier (#27816), though not quite sure where it came from:
(Out of deference to those who are already dealing with a difficult situation and potential conflicts of interest, we have not given Melody Hensley, Lauren Becker, Debbie Goddard, or Elizabeth Cornwell an opportunity to sign this letter though they spoke at the conference.)
Oh, yep, thanks! Seems to be from Svan's letter:

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 978#p95978

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Oh, yep, thanks! Seems to be from Svan's letter:

http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 978#p95978
Yes, sorry I wasn't more clear. Svan seems to want to imply these women would glady sign the letter but they're being left alone out of mercy because they're sooo weary with the "difficult situation" - well if I remember correctly Debbie Goddard was friendly with Justin and Karla and even posed for a smiley happy photo with Justin. If her whole conference experience was ruined by Lindsay's brutal misogynist attack she doesn't look like it, and she sure doesn't look frightened by 'The Harasser.' Maybe that's the 'conflict of interest'?

So I wondered about the other women on the list, is there a similar 'conflict of interest?'. (I'm not counting Melody Hensley because she's probably still traumatized by the blind guy and his unreasonable demands that nobody could have anticipated.)

Humphrey_Hedgehog

Post by Humphrey_Hedgehog »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
ERV wrote: The Collective generally dont use names. Just numbers. The character you know as 'Svan' is One of Thirteen.
WHO IS NUMBER FIVE?
http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a60 ... 3dbd5a.jpg

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Gefan wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Kind of surprised at the amount of panty-wadding over Mykeru. Also a bit surprised over the "oh, what about delicate fee-fees?" kind of crap coming in here. Are we shedding our thick skins and meandering over to the SJW side?
It's all certainly boring the arse off me...
Thus spake the only person whose opinion on censorship ultimately matters a flying fuck around here.

I don't give a shit if Mykeru's gone crazy, if nude pictures of Greta get plastered all over the Washington monument, or if Scented Nectar hosts an orgy under a burning effigy of Rebecca Watson and films the fucking thing.
None of this affects any of my goals in life.

Anyway, please continue...
Trying to host an orgy under a burning effigy of Rebecca Watson would be such a fail that no humans in a hundred mile radius would be able to get horny for at least a year. The film would be of limp dicks, dry ladyparts, and lots of very awkward but futile attempts by everyone to get their gear working.
And now, in a public spirited attempt to draw fire from Mykeru...
...C'mon there's lots of people here who could get aroused by the image of Rebecca Watson on fire. :popcorn:
Well, when you put it THAT way... :)

Hey, I found the word for that weird fetish for disasters that Yimminy Cricket has. It's called "symphorophilia".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphorophilia

Michael K Gray

Re: Ophelia the Zookeeper Made Me Do It

Post by Michael K Gray »

A completely off-topic post by which to cheer up the aminule luvverz here.
(No. NOT kittehs)
These clips are a bit old, but non-Adelaidians may not have caught them.

First. 'Cute' Baby Tassie Debils:
[youtube]GrPahHjCSeE[/youtube]
Second, for the bird conservators, (yes Sacha. Look at me whilst I am talking to you please. No, not through a periscope.)
The progress and perils of a Palm Cockatoo:
(Excuse the annoying 'rising terminal inflection' of the keeper's accent.)
[youtube]zx3Na3h9koo[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

mikelf wrote:
windy wrote:
Outwest wrote: There's the money quote for me:
By Sunday morning, several of us were actively propping up CFI staff morale.
The egotism in that statement alone. It's just too much to even laugh at right now. I would think that if the CFI staff were that upset, they would've have been complaining during the conference. As usual, she's making shit up again.
Unless "CFI staff" in that statement ≈ Melody Hensley

Exactamundo. This blatant attempt to appeal to "employee morale" just crystallizes in my mind exactly how inept Stephanie, et al are at playing the organizational game. It isn't a surprise to me since their ranks are filled with:

1. Academics who think success in a bureaucracy comes from putting more hissy in your fit (PZ, Lousy Canuck,Carrier)
2. Non-supervisory individual contributors who's career success comes from subject matter expertise (Stephanie)
3. Dilettantes trying to punch above their class (Melody, Rebecca)

At the executive level, you don't succeed in organizations (or, for that matter, courtrooms, since Lindsay was a litigator) by being the loudest or most earnest. You succeed by fully preparing the battlefield before you step onto it. You decide on your goals, determine different methods to achieve those goals, game out the various responses to what you might do, and prepare for each contingency. It is my opinion that the game was over long before Lindsay stood up to walk to the podium. I expect that he circulated his speech to the CFI board far in advance of the WIS conference and solicited their feedback and suggestions. And, dollars to donuts, he incorporated their feedback into the speech so they had some sense of ownership.
I was taking advantage of waking up wicked early to re-read some of the posts analyzing Stephanie Svan's decision to pour gasoline on herself and strike a match resulting in self-immolation and martyrdom.

Mikelf is exactly right here. They simply can't play the organizational game.

I mean, I have the organizational accumen of a tick, but I'm sort of aware of it.

I'm reminded of the time I worked for Head Start in Arizona. The office was a dozen women and one other guy besides me. What's important is not that there were a dozen women, or that it was a women-managed organization, it was a certain type of person who was attracted to one of the more frustrating corners of social work (perhaps an office full of male Head Start workers would act the same, good luck finding that). Basically these women were used to working with kids and parents in a sort of benign authoritarian maternal role which the often mistakenly used in their interpersonal actions. The time spent discussing conversations and conversations about conversations parsing conversations from half a year ago was awesome. So much so that sometimes I just had to hide.

What we have here is worse, it's not that everyone is vying to be the mom in the room, but that their only model is their own dysfunctional relationships. Quite frankly, they treat everyone as an ersatz friend or lover that can be guilted by half-truths and tossing a fit into doing whatever they want.

There's no argument there aside from "you made us feel bad". Ron Lindsay's real crime is not remembering their anniversary and not being convincing when he told them those jeans didn't make their ass look huge. Reframing Melody Hensley being upset for whatever reason including realizing she's been backing the wrong horse, caught out being a harassing little shit and the boss is not well-pleased as a general CFI staff issue is once again trying to use dysfunctional interpersonal models in an organizational manner and it's ludicrous.

What it comes down to is nothing more than a claim that someone's position upset them.

More to the point, as Mikelf notes, they have no clue that this dysfunctional guilt-tripping relationship model simply doesn't work in an organizations setting and either no insight into their limitation or are just stuck trying to hammer in nails with a screwdriver and crying about it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:A completely off-topic post by which to cheer up the aminule luvverz here.
(No. NOT kittehs)
These clips are a bit old, but non-Adelaidians may not have caught them.

First. 'Cute' Baby Tassie Debils:
GrPahHjCSeE
Thanks for that video, and yes, they're 'cute'. 'insanely cute' would be even more accurate.

Meanwhile, I'm being caninvaded:

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... 6055ed.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I would write a short mail to CFI, but being from oversea, I'm not sure it would be quite meaningful.

Humphrey_Hedgehog

And another cute fluffy dog...

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a60 ... b62c4b.jpg

This is Charlie at about 8 months old.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Thanks for that video, and yes, they're 'cute'. 'insanely cute' would be even more accurate.
Are you trying to tell me that the Brothers Warner may have lied to me?
Shame on them.
I had assumed that the Bugs Bunny Show was an Oscar-winning documentary, and that the "Butterfly Effect" was misnamed.
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Meanwhile, I'm being caninvaded:
Very clever con-cat-enation there, sir.
To the Canary Islands hence, with Thee!

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:And another cute fluffy dog...
What flavour is it?

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Mykeru wrote: More to the point, as Mikelf notes, they have no clue that this dysfunctional guilt-tripping relationship model simply doesn't work in an organizations setting and either no insight into their limitation or are just stuck trying to hammer in nails with a screwdriver and crying about it.
Except CFI repeatedly invites them into bed as speakers and has hired one (that I know of).

CFI helped create the monster.

An excerpt from my keyboard warrioring email:

"The consequence resulting from the Center for Inquiry's actions in promoting these individuals into positions of power within your organization and conferences is what is before not only your organization but the entire community. You have given them power, and they are using it to force their beliefs onto Mr. Lindsay, your organization, and then onto the rest of the population.

I am in vehement opposition to their belief systems. I find them tyrannical. If you capitulate, you will give them more power and entrench them further into their dogmatism, giving them more fuel and righteousness with which to attack with impunity anyone who questions, or makes fun of, their beliefs."

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I would write a short mail to CFI, but being from oversea, I'm not sure it would be quite meaningful.
I still think it would help and I suspect you would write a good letter.

You know, for a foreigner. :rimshot:

Really, write a letter, numbers have weight. Thanks!

Git

Post by Git »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Git wrote:
sacha wrote:
Git wrote:
<snip>

(check the image filename)

she's gorgeous. did you give her that name?
She is, but she's just a random kitteh on the web with (almost) the same name as you. It was a feeble attempt at a pussy joke.
Really? I for one missed the nuance.

(Nah. Just kidding before you go all Mykeru on my fascist tits)
I don't know about fascist tits, but here's some fascist pussy:

http://www.catsthatlooklikehitler.com/k ... er1927.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gefan wrote:
bovarchist wrote:I am now forever referring to Svan as "Svan of Lyin'"
Since I'm sure at least one of you is already hard at work on this - before you post a photoshop of the Stephalump in the actual Seven on Nine costume, I have two words for you: Trigger Warning.
Meh. I'd never be able to fap to Seven of Nine again if I did that :lol:

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Shifting focus a bit, I left a comment here: http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/wh ... of-shezow/ - I don't know if it's in moderation, or just gone, or what. I've added quote tags to make it more readable, but all the text is the same.
"You’ll note that the heroine’s opponents/villains total 10…a full eight are male; that’s 80%.

So what happened to Equal Opportunity (to be “bad”) on the way to all that Workplace/Personal Empowerment, eh?"
This is only a criticism if the show was written by people who complain about gender ratios. Does anyone have any reason to think that? In fact, since so many villains are male, I'd say that's evidence that the writers are *not* those people. If they were, most of the characters,
good or bad, would be women, with men being all-around absent. Most of the villains in almost every movie/tv show are males.
""“Boxter,” the twins’ father: he’s an opponent, not a “villain” per se; but consider his bio. It states he literally hates SheZow because she routinely interferes with his police work (read: men’s work).""
Yes, so what? This is a common trope. See also: Batman and Spiderman. Both have law enforcement characters that hate the hero vigilantes. This is not a patriarchal quality.
""[You’ll notice the writers have a “thing” for males with high-pitched voices. To make them more girl-friendly, or just plain “girly,” I wonder?]""
Because it's a kid's show. Many characters in kid shows have high-pitched voices.
""this old broad is a former friend of the twins’ dead aunt. She resented the other’s popularity and now feels “forgotten and bitter.” Tara once was a super-heroine, though now she’s “intent on destroying SheZow.”""
Jealousy is a very common theme for a villain character. See also: The Lion King. Once again, par for the course.
""But even if this blatant poke-fun-at-the-everyguy show flops, the moustache-twirling Feminist apparatchiks will be ba-a-a-ack. Like Snidley Whiplash before them, they, too, will happily tie the little Nells – and the little Neils – to the train tracks, sacrificing even “the children’s” Saturday mornings to their loco-female supremacist-motives.""
For fuck's sake, it's just a TV show. There's a lot of motive-attributing here, but not much substance. You sound like Anita Sarkeesian.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Hang on a mo'.
Hatty.jpg
Hatty Jacques
(46.94 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
Is that a racist hat which I see before me?
The brim toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A hat of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable
As this which now I drool.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Thanks for that video, and yes, they're 'cute'. 'insanely cute' would be even more accurate.
Are you trying to tell me that the Brothers Warner may have lied to me?
Shame on them.
I had assumed that the Bugs Bunny Show was an Oscar-winning documentary, and that the "Butterfly Effect" was misnamed.
Very clever con-cat-enation there, sir.
To the Canary Islands hence, with Thee!
As for the Warner sister Dot…

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6532225792/h904B5C66/

Humphrey_Hedgehog

Michael K Gray wrote:
Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:And another cute fluffy dog...
What flavour is it?
I believe he's a variation of this lot http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Cocker_Spaniel.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Edina Monsoon wrote:I'm generally content to lurk but after the lovely AbFab video posted earlier today I'll peek out for just a moment to say High. :)

Have sent my Lindsay supporting letters to CFI, one right after WIS2, another after SkepTickle's doxxing. Rec'd a friendly reply from Tom Flynn, just an acknowledgement of the emails, and they'll take them and everyone else's into account in their meeting next week.

From the 13 Speakers Letter:
The CEO of CFI used the Women in Secularism conference to his own ends in ways that support those who are working to drive many women out of the secular movement.
If they got many more letters like mine they know that what's making the secular movement unsafe for women ain't Ron Lindsay, and they have plenty of examples with links.
Am I correct in remembering that Melody Hensley welcomed Justin The Harrasser, and Debbie Goddard was friendly to him and Karla? How about the others on that list? Just curious.

/lurk
Snerk.

Cornwell is on the CFI Board. Im pretty sure she will be free to give her own opinion.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Staffy Inzaney adhoc justification that doxxing isn't doxxing when she or her friends doxx can be boiled down to this

[youtube]ejvyDn1TPr8[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

zenbabe wrote:
Mykeru wrote: More to the point, as Mikelf notes, they have no clue that this dysfunctional guilt-tripping relationship model simply doesn't work in an organizations setting and either no insight into their limitation or are just stuck trying to hammer in nails with a screwdriver and crying about it.
Except CFI repeatedly invites them into bed as speakers and has hired one (that I know of).

CFI helped create the monster.

An excerpt from my keyboard warrioring email:

"The consequence resulting from the Center for Inquiry's actions in promoting these individuals into positions of power within your organization and conferences is what is before not only your organization but the entire community. You have given them power, and they are using it to force their beliefs onto Mr. Lindsay, your organization, and then onto the rest of the population.

I am in vehement opposition to their belief systems. I find them tyrannical. If you capitulate, you will give them more power and entrench them further into their dogmatism, giving them more fuel and righteousness with which to attack with impunity anyone who questions, or makes fun of, their beliefs."
Yes, that's something that should be included into letters to CFI. Just because the carpet-bagging SJWs and Dysfunction Feminists have bitten CFI on the ass, doesn't mean Lindsay and the board gets a pass for enabling up to the point where they became inconvenient.

Maybe, like the Gotham City crime lords, they invited in The Joker without fully understanding what they were dealing with. The do now, and I suspect they knew when the people who arrived late to the atheist and skeptical party and announced "hi, we're here, you'll be doing our agenda now whatever it is you used to do" they didn't give much of a shit either. I don't think that's mendacity, just laziness and cowardice.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Za-zen wrote:Staffy Inzaney adhoc justification that doxxing isn't doxxing when she or her friends doxx can be boiled down to this

[youtube]ejvyDn1TPr8
She's a political operator.

http://i.imgur.com/zgLO97P.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Zenspace wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I would write a short mail to CFI, but being from oversea, I'm not sure it would be quite meaningful.
I still think it would help and I suspect you would write a good letter.

You know, for a foreigner. :rimshot:

Really, write a letter, numbers have weight. Thanks!
Who should I head it to? CFI Board Commitee? And what email address should I send it to?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Exactly where did Karl Rove go after the 2012 election?

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Mykeru wrote: Yes, that's something that should be included into letters to CFI. Just because the carpet-bagging SJWs and Dysfunction Feminists have bitten CFI on the ass, doesn't mean Lindsay and the board gets a pass for enabling up to the point where they became inconvenient.

Maybe, like the Gotham City crime lords, they invited in The Joker without fully understanding what they were dealing with. The do now, and I suspect they knew when the people who arrived late to the atheist and skeptical party and announced "hi, we're here, you'll be doing our agenda now whatever it is you used to do" they didn't give much of a shit either. I don't think that's mendacity, just laziness and cowardice.
mm.. such a good movie. Bit of Dark Knight now on the viewing schedule.

But yeah, while I hope CFI has woken up to the character of these people, considering their own culpability in reinforcing and building them up is something I hope they also see, and work to remedy. The wee little part of Lindsay's speech which attempted to check them has resulted in this entire brouhaha. It will take oomph and integrity to stand up to them further, because the tantrum will intensify.

To date though, CFI's mostly been the indulgent parent who gives the screaming child the candy. From what I've gathered, it isn't as if the tactics haven't been clear for a few years now.

But who knows. Maybe they will be reasonable and act as an organization should, as you and others give reason to hope.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Phil, I used these:
Zenspace wrote:
bovarchist wrote:Anybody have the email address of Tom Flynn handy? I feel like dropping a short note of support for Ron.

tflynn@centerforinquiry.net

rlindsay@centerforinquiry.net

Go for it. I already sent mine. I encourage as many of you who can to do the same.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Hunt wrote:Exactly where did Karl Rove go after the 2012 election?

He's running some Super PAC that's trying to keep the Tea Party types from getting GOP nominations.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

zenbabe wrote: To date though, CFI's mostly been the indulgent parent who gives the screaming child the candy. From what I've gathered, it isn't as if the tactics haven't been clear for a few years now.
The thing that gets me is the petulant demand for capitulation. Not discussion, not clarification, but contrition, capitulation, resignation. There can be no debate about the righteousness of their cause. The only resounding note is that Lindsay said something that posed ideological questions, and that is unforgivable. The question everyone should be asking themselves, and let's hope to hell the CFI board is asking itself, it just what type of people hold to that kind of philosophy? Imagine the oddness of any other convention being so discomfited over a mere introductory talk that broached certain queries, even if they weren't on the official agenda, and then spent the better part of a month afterward agitating for the professional obliteration of the offending party and you get a very clear idea of just how bizarre and pathological these people are.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

zenbabe wrote:
Mykeru wrote: Yes, that's something that should be included into letters to CFI. Just because the carpet-bagging SJWs and Dysfunction Feminists have bitten CFI on the ass, doesn't mean Lindsay and the board gets a pass for enabling up to the point where they became inconvenient.

mm.. such a good movie. Bit of Dark Knight now on the viewing schedule.

But yeah, while I hope CFI has woken up to the character of these people, considering their own culpability in reinforcing and building them up is something I hope they also see, and work to remedy. The wee little part of Lindsay's speech which attempted to check them has resulted in this entire brouhaha. It will take oomph and integrity to stand up to them further, because the tantrum will intensify.

To date though, CFI's mostly been the indulgent parent who gives the screaming child the candy. From what I've gathered, it isn't as if the tactics haven't been clear for a few years now.

But who knows. Maybe they will be reasonable and act as an organization should, as you and others give reason to hope.
Honestly, I think CFI has "woken up (or will) only to the extent that it hurts their bottom line.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

How amazing would it be if the Center For Inquiry fired the CEO for asking questions.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Dick Strawkins wrote:She's a political operator.

http://i.imgur.com/zgLO97P.jpg
Urk. The Decider's decider is in our midst again.

From the other flank, watch for a Zenu infiltration:

http://i.imgur.com/hx7LCvi.jpg

codelette

Post by codelette »

Hi, I logged in to objectify sacha by saying "damn woman, dat ass!".

Regards,
Another chill girl

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

If you'd spent somewhere around 350 million dollars belonging to assorted neo-fascist billionaires and delivered exactly jack squat to them in return, you'd be keeping a low profile too.

Now, where's the last place anyone would think of looking for an arch-conservative?

Hmmmmmm..... :think:

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Ericb wrote:

He's running some Super PAC that's trying to keep the Tea Party types from getting GOP nominations. his estate in his native Hell, where he harvests the tears of sinners which he bottles and sells.
Fixed that for you.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

codelette wrote:Hi, I logged in to objectify sacha by saying "damn woman, dat ass!".

Regards,
Another chill girl
It is nice, but Welch's is starting to grow on me too.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

EdwardGemmer wrote:How amazing would it be if the Center For Inquiry fired the CEO for asking questions.
It would be amazing. I doubt it'll happen. They'll probably push him into some sort of contrived "outreach" and reconciliation.

I wonder if it's occurred to any of the squalling brats that the CFI's drama magnet DC director might catch a reprimand or demotion from this.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

EdwardGemmer wrote:How amazing would it be if the Center For Inquiry fired the CEO for asking questions.
Amazing, but also, IMO, actually disastrous for the FtB lot. Talk about a PR disaster. At some point it really becomes a matter not just of Ron Lindsay's career, but saving FtBs from themselves, not that I particularly care if they go down in a ball of flames. But a responsible leadership would never allow a fringe continent to self immolate quite that spectacularly, even if they secretly think they dearly deserve it.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Ape+lust wrote:
It would be amazing. I doubt it'll happen. They'll probably push him into some sort of contrived "outreach" and reconciliation.

I wonder if it's occurred to any of the squalling brats that the CFI's drama magnet DC director might catch a reprimand or demotion from this.

I wonder if the main players really give a shit about her. How much amity and real friendship is there with that crowd?

codelette

Post by codelette »

TedDahlberg wrote:
codelette wrote:Hi, I logged in to objectify sacha by saying "damn woman, dat ass!".

Regards,
Another chill girl
Stop objectifying Welch!

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

codelette wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:

Regards,
Another chill girl
Stop objectifying Welch!
It struck me that I've seen his ass but never his face. Doesn't get much more objectifyin' than that, I think.

welch

Post by welch »

Because Gurder's moderating as heavily as Ophie ever did:

Ariel, you say:
As I see it, the issue is not disagreement, but *focus*. A person X writes a (reasonable and normal) comment disagreeing with a person Y. Fine. Then X writes the second, third … eleventh comment disagreeing with Y. Hmmm, also fine. Then X writes hundreds of comments – a mixture of (reasonable and normal) criticism, taunting and photoshopping, a huge series, which betrays X’s concentration on Y and his constant monitoring of Y’s activities. Is it also fine? How should one treat it, especially given the information that Y finds it awful and asks X to stop? And what if it’s not just a single X, but a whole group engaged in such a behavior? Eliza, in this context “disagreement” is really a red herring. It’s not about disagreement and criticism, even if many comments contain just that; even if many of them – taken individually – can be assessed as reasonable. It’s about focus. It’s about the pattern. I don’t really mind criticism, but I must say that I understand Ophelia. I wouldn’t want to have X monitoring me. It would probably end very badly for my state of mind. I don’t know how I could stand it. How about you?
However, that's kind of a strawman. First, almost no one amongst the "antis", or possibly "SPs", unless they start making fake IDs, is commenting on Ophelia's site. She actively moderates and bans people, as do Pz, Greta, and the rest of that core group. So the number of people successfully commenting on Ophelia's site from the SPs is quite low.

Should they be even attempting to comment? Well, I don't know, but I can understand why they would. When you have PZ slagging, (and that is the only word for it) everyone who doesn't agree lockstep with *his* version of feminism, and Ophelia allowing people in her commentariat to:

1) Threaten people with violence if a "bad" word is used, specifically Julian's "if you call me a spic, I'll snap your neck". That one not getting any kind of a reaction other than 'tut-tut' is especially hypocritical given Ophelia's multi-year freakout over Franc Hoggles VERY similar comment.

2) Offer to dox people so they can vandalize their property as part of an intimidation campaign, aka the 'maybe if they start seeing blue butterflies spray-painted on their driveway, they'll back off' schtick.

3) Compare members of the pit, in all seriousness, with serial killers.

I can see why someone might wish to defend themselves. I'm not among that group, I have no more hope for any form of dialogue with Ophelia et al that doesn't involve everyone bowing and scraping to her than I do an in-depth discussion of various computer programming topics with my cat. It's a fun mental 'what if' exercise, but in real life? Not happening.

Secondly, there are actually a lot of people in the pit who don't engage them directly. We don't @-message them on twitter, we don't send them email, we don't try to sneak in comments. What is our "great crime", the one that even you talk about? We sometimes read her blog posts, (although I've stopped even that. Outside of Ally Fogg and Aron Ra, there's no one at FTB doing anything I'd classify as "thought" of any kind. Reactions, yes. Responses, occasionally), and we make comments on a web site or web sites that she is perfectly able to *not read*. In fact, that's one of the refrains from FTB: don't like what we say, *don't read our site*.

Again, why does that advice never apply to them? Ophelia complains about being "monitored" when it's pathetically obvious that she is monitoring the HELL out of the 'pit and various people's public twitter and FB accounts. She's not the only one mind you, but there are days when the time between a comment in the 'pit and a post on FTB is measured in hours. Not days. Not weeks. Hours.

If she wishes to complain about monitoring, perhaps she should do less of it herself. But then, applying their own rules to their own behavior is not something they're real good at.
I have mixed feelings about (3). If your complaint is that the pitters are banned, then you should take into consideration that the bloggers reject not so much your comments (because, disagreement!), as *you*. See my answer to (1). But I find your story about Atheism+ forum troublesome, hence the mixed feelings. I have never commented there and I don’t really know this forum. Seeing the citations you provided, I don’t know why they banned you.
Of course they ban the person. Because if they don't, there's a chance that person might turn out not to be the demonized other image they have created of them. There's a lot of othering going on at FTB.
As for (4), yeah, demonization happens. And Setar’s comment was inflammatory, sure. I participated in those threads on Stephanie’s blog and I remember it well. It seems to me that I made even some remark about Setar. But please, if you can, don’t demonize Stephanie. It’s just too easy. Her situation was quite difficult. There was a strong opposition criticizing her for participating in the dialogue (yes Eliza, opposition on FtB!); there were also fears that admitting the pitters’ comments on her threads will radicalize the regular commenters (Stephanie wrote this somewhere quite explicitly. I say this from memory, but I can find the link if needed.) Starting a melee about an inflammatory comment in such a context? Sure, and good luck to everybody! As I see it, it’s not a black and white story. Please, don’t try to make it look as such.
Wait, so now we are responsible for zvan's regular commentariat behavior? That if allowed to actually defend ourselves, THEY might react poorly? Oh dear lord. That's exactly like arguments against equal rights for {insert minority group here} being a bad idea because those racists over there would get upset, and then we'd have a problem.

And given how much Zvan demonizes all the SPs in the 'pit, i'd say that asking people to not demonize her is weak. If she dislikes demonization, she should cease doing it herself. Heck, fairly recently, she and the Canuck once *again* took it on themselves to slag Justin Griffith for publicizing Laden's threats against him, because he clearly "missed the point" that greg was trying to "patton slap" him back into proper thinking. Justin's crime? He refused to demonize Abbie Smith.

I have little concern for Zvan's feelings about demonizing people when she so gleefully and enthusiastically does so herself. It's actually quite black and white. If you don't like being demonized, don't demonize others.
Ok, before I say something about (5), a few remarks. In my opinion (1)-(4), as reasons for not giving people a break, are very weak. Just to make you understand my perspective: as it happens, *the place* for me on FtB is Greta’s blog. It’s the first I found; it’s the first I usually check. And my “criminal record” on this blog is quite extensive. Quite often I have disagreed or even quarreled with Greta. She hasn’t banned me for this (yet! ) and I must say that I like both her and her blog. Now: if she bans me tomorrow for mere dissent (unrealistic given the past, but let’s assume it), I will be upset. Since I’m not an angel, I could indeed go to some other place crying havoc, making angry, snarky or taunting remarks. But that’s it. After that, finished. I wouldn’t become her shadow, I wouldn’t take a mission of criticizing and ridiculing her on a regular basis. The very idea seems outlandish to me and that's the reason why I find your war difficult to understand. Unless … yeah, unless I had a very strong reason. And this brings us to (5) at last.
One time, I made a single comment that was actually something of a defense of another FTB blogger on greta's site. It took less than ten minutes for her commentariat to tell on me to mom that I was a big mean poopyhead on other sites and so I was banned. Not for my comment on Greta's site, but for my comments on other sites.

Many people find rape, or even rape fantasies extremely triggering. Would you support them banning Greta from their sites solely because she's written books that contain rape fantasy? I kind of doubt you would. You might *understand* it, but you wouldn't *support* it. So why do you support Greta's similar behavior? Do forgive me if my impression of her intellectual and ethical standards is somewhat less than yours.

I think I am safe in saying 99% of the 'pit's objections to the FTB core crowd/Skepchicks/et al is based on two things:

1) The *massive* zero sum thinking they not only engage in themselves, (THERE IS ONLY ONE CORRECT OPINION), but *require* everyone else to engage in.

2) Their continual hypocrisy in demanding standards of behavior from others that they refuse to impose upon themselves.

Until they start dealing with those two issues themselves, actual communication with them is impossible. you can't dialogue with people who operate like that.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Hunt wrote:
zenbabe wrote: To date though, CFI's mostly been the indulgent parent who gives the screaming child the candy. From what I've gathered, it isn't as if the tactics haven't been clear for a few years now.
The thing that gets me is the petulant demand for capitulation. Not discussion, not clarification, but contrition, capitulation, resignation. There can be no debate about the righteousness of their cause. The only resounding note is that Lindsay said something that posed ideological questions, and that is unforgivable. The question everyone should be asking themselves, and let's hope to hell the CFI board is asking itself, it just what type of people hold to that kind of philosophy? Imagine the oddness of any other convention being so discomfited over a mere introductory talk that broached certain queries, even if they weren't on the official agenda, and then spent the better part of a month afterward agitating for the professional obliteration of the offending party and you get a very clear idea of just how bizarre and pathological these people are.
Could you not see Lindsay's cautionary note as a more watered down form of Vacula Must Denounce? It's not as if he directly accused anyone right of the bat. Rank hypocrisy. I don't think Lindsay even went as far as posing ideological questions. The 'boons are incapable of tolerating the mere suggestion that anyone of their allies could be in error.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

welch wrote:Because Gurder's moderating as heavily as Ophie ever did:

*comment snip*
At first, I viewed his "posting rules" simply as an attempt to keep things professional and semi-official. But after seeing some of the comments he's not let through (including one of my own), I'm starting to think otherwise.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Metalogic42 wrote:

*comment snip*
At first, I viewed his "posting rules" simply as an attempt to keep things professional and semi-official. But after seeing some of the comments he's not let through (including one of my own), I'm starting to think otherwise.
I would be grateful if people posted those here. It is a shame to lose a good post.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Welch's comment was let through.

http://heathen-hub.com/blog.php?bt=9285

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Yes, Gurdur refused to approve one of my comments because it contained the indirect phrase "behaving like little shits" that wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just the practices of Freethought Bullies, particularly doxing.

He, however, thought that was "name-calling".

He gave me several options of capitulation, mostly involving editing my comments so no one's pink bunny rabbit asshole fee-fees were hurt.

I went with my own option, which was telling him to fuck off. In the future I will take extra pause before I retweet or promote any of his opinions.

People who think the purpose of your opinion is to validate their pre-conceived notions of what that opinion should be, make me sad.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Mykeru wrote:
Yes, Gurdur refused to approve one of my comments because it contained the indirect phrase "behaving like little shits" that wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just the practices of Freethought Bullies, particularly doxing.

He, however, thought that was "name-calling".

He gave me several options of capitulation, mostly involving editing my comments so no one's pink bunny rabbit asshole fee-fees were hurt.

I went with my own option, which was telling him to fuck off. In the future I will take extra pause before I retweet or promote any of his opinions.

People who think the purpose of your opinion is to validate their pre-conceived notions of what that opinion should be, make me sad.
My comment was not approved because I used "Ophie" three times. One was merely a mention of "nicknames are harassment" comment, so really, I only called her "Ophie" twice.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Metalogic42 wrote:
My comment was not approved because I used "Ophie" three times. One was merely a mention of "nicknames are harassment" comment, so really, I only called her "Ophie" twice.
He may be a toolbag, more likely he's the pontificating retired guy in a tilly hat and socks and sandals seen at local skeptical groups that I love to go on about.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

My response to the WiSC propaganda letter:
Dear Mr. Flynn and the CFI Board,

This letter is being written in response to the June 13, 2013 letter sent to your attention by One Ms. Zvan claiming offense by the WiSC speech delivered by Ron Lindsay. Sadly, rather than take the opportunity to embrace the conversation that could have been opened by Mr. Lindsay's much needed statements, the letter instead offers a model example of propaganda built upon half truths in an effort to forward an increasingly clear ideological agenda. Time constraints prevent me from going into great detail, but this matter is important enough to the skeptical community and quite possibly the future of CFI itself that I am making the time to address the more egregious misrepresentations in Ms. Zvan's letter.

The first, and most glaringly obvious matter is that of the signatories. I find it most curious that, in her public posting of the letter, Ms. Zvan failed to list the actual thirteen signatories. This is most telling. While I do not have access to the 'signed' letter, I will make a prediction: the majority of those signing are either active FtB/Skepchick bloggers or their close allies. Those who refused to sign have no such incestuous relationship with the letters (likely) primary author and do not agree with the letter’s conflations. Further, of the four not given the opportunity to sign, it is certain that these four were singled out for clear conflict of interest issues, as in the case of Ms. Hensley and Ms. Cromwell, but the other two were almost certainly going to refuse to sign it in any case. One is known to have engaged Mr. Vacula at the conference in a pleasant and friendly manner, going so far as the be photographed with Justin, and clearly recognizes the blatant falsehoods in the ongoing FtB/Skepchick slander against him. Clearly, the strength of Ms. Zvan's letter must be weighted by those who refused to sign as those who did. The conclusion is clear.

The claims of poor moral within the CFI staff at WiSC is likely partially true, but I posit that the statement alludes to a single individual: Melody Hensley. Ms. Hensley, due to her close relations with the Secular Woman and FtB/Skepchick groups has found herself in the unenviable position of betting on the wrong horse. It is very predictable she would be upset and almost certainly participated in the 4:00 am Sunday meeting of the FtB/Skepchick speakers when the real import of Mr. Lindsay's speech had begun to register with them.

Of particular note in the letter is its reference to the presence of the so-called 'harasser' who was permitted to attend the WiSC conference. While not named in the letter, there can be no doubt as to whom the reference targets: Justin Vacula. While I have my own issues with some of the things that Mr. Vacula does, mostly related to his youthful naivete, the ongoing efforts to slander him are a particularly egregious example of the FtB/Skepchick crowds willingness to stretch the truth beyond all recognition to silence a critic. The fact that Mr. Lindsay made the effort to personally welcome Mr. Vacula to the conference speaks very well of Mr. Lindsay's character and hints at an understanding of the ongoing slander program emanating from FtB/Skepchick against an individual who does not deserve it.

The real upshot of the harassment/victim narrative that this group promotes is illustrated in the tweets provided within the letter as examples of 'harassment'. While one example is clearly rude and in poor taste, it is telling that, of the hundreds of tweets likely made from and relating to the conference, these are the worst examples that could be found. Very telling indeed. Over time, it has become increasingly clear that this particular group of persons, represented by the likes of FtB, Skepchick and Secular Woman have taken it upon themselves to redefine the term 'harassment' to include any material, substantive disagreement or critique of their positions. As with the expanded and over-used term 'privilege', the term 'harassment' has been expanded and overused to silence critics. This is in direct opposition of everything that a skeptical organization such as CFI stands for. The threat to the integrity of CFI's mission represented by these groups is abundantly clear.

In closing, It is necessary for me to highlight a recent event that speaks to the lack of integrity of these groups in general, but certain FtB bloggers in particular, one of whom is the likely author of the letter that initiated this response. Rather than expound on the details of the event myself, I will refer you to an article written by Tim Skellett who did a far more thorough analysis and commentary on the unfortunate matter than I likely could have done myself. Of note is the fact that Mr. Skellett has remained largely outside and apart from much of the recent controversy within the atheist/skeptical community. As a neutral party, his comments become all the more pertinent as it is free from the inherent biases that another author might bring to the matter. Please visit his well researched and supported blog post here:

http://heathen-hub.com/blog.php?b=1712

Like myself, Mr. Skellett was finally moved to act by the increasingly open and destructive nature of the words and actions emanating from FtB. I am certain that CFI has received considerable interaction relating to the above and it is my understanding that the CFI Board will be meeting in June to discuss these events. It is my fervent hope that reason and skepticism will prevail in the face of this ideological and skeptical onslaught from FtB/Skepchick/Secular Woman and that CFI will remain true to its stated mission.

Thank you for your time and consideration.