Old subthreads
Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:50 pm

So, I blundered onto a jazz cover (don't ask what I was searching for) and out of idle curiosity, I clicked the link.
Holy crap, that was brilliant! Cheers for the share.

On a sidenote, that guy sounds very similar to one of my favourite male singers - Pete Murphy. Give this a listen and tell me I'm wrong!

Murphy is the man!

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

MarcusAu wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Isn't the word "hobo" homeist? The PC term is "otherly residing".
'Bum' is non-gender specific - so it must be acceptable.
Is Hobosexual gender specific?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

InfraRedBucket wrote: Is Hobosexual gender specific?
Whilst trawling various sites to find an answer, I blundered onto this.
Build a bear

The process of shaving your full beard and leaving the trimmings floating in the toilet bowl, at which point you use said toilet bowl to take a crap, thereby coating your feces in the hair which now resembles a stuffed animal that can be presented to your girlfriend or wife.

"Hey honey! I went to build a bear today! Come check it out!"

#build #bear #stuffed #animal

I'm in pain from laughing so hard, the dogs are staring at me and I've just about soaked my desk with coffee. Yes, I know, I'm a childish bastard. I'm also going to do this to the GF - wish me luck!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

mordacious1 wrote: WEIT has an expected article up bemoaning the Federal reinstitution of the death penalty:
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... ar-hiatus/

I don’t post there anymore, so I’ll put my comments here.

When I was a young man, the Left made the argument that locking someone up and throwing away the key was a worse punishment than executing them. I bought it. Unfortunately, that’s not what happened. The Left lied:
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/news/201 ... _york.html

I now support the Death Penalty. Of course, Jerry has his idea that no one has control of what they do. Very nice in a philosophy class, not very pragmatic.
I dove in.

The local WEIT SJWs already have been mobbing me on every other issue like piranha; let's see how this pans out. Coyne can also be a bit touchy whenever anyone disagrees with him.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Anyone currently feeling the effects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0GDQrK2jo

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: Anyone currently feeling the effects?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0GDQrK2jo
Yes, I'm currently playing host to Betty.

(Betty Swollocks)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Bhurzum wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:01 am
Murphy is the man!
Bauhaus! On the list, of my ex's favorite music, which I didn't care (much) about when I was with her-- and now it wrecks me.

Murphy is playing several nights in nyc nightclubs, next week. hmmm.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://i.imgur.com/cU9ICyq.jpg

I bought a Squatty Potty a few weeks ago. It has improved my shitting experience.

Unlike Mueller, I'm willing to supplement this report with additional commentary, if requested.

:hankey:

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Bhurzum wrote: Yes, I'm currently playing host to Betty.

(Betty Swollocks)
Shove a couple of ice cubes in your sporran.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Service Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 am

I bought a Squatty Potty a few weeks ago. It has improved my shitting experience.

Unlike Mueller, I'm willing to supplement this report with additional commentary, if requested.

I've tried the technic. Plays havock on my artificial hip. I'll continue shitting the way my forefathers did, thank you very much.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Service Dog wrote: Bauhaus! On the list, of my ex's favorite music, which I didn't care (much) about when I was with her-- and now it wrecks me.
Strangely enough, it was an ex who got me into them. I've got damned near every note they ever recorded and even have a few highly collectable original vinyl singles and EP's. Obviously, it goes without saying that they're very much an acquired taste although a few of their radio-friendly songs are somewhat easy-listening.

My favourite track is a toss-up between "Bela Lugosi's dead" and "Hollow hills" - the lyrics of "hills" are something else! I think my addiction to Lovecraft might play a part in the latter.
Service Dog wrote: Murphy is playing several nights in nyc nightclubs, next week. hmmm.
Man, I'm jealous! Of all the acts I never got to see live, Bauhaus are right up there at the top. I'd give my left nut (sweat and all) to see Murphy live.

Deeply, deeply jealous!

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote: Shove a couple of ice cubes in your sporran.
https://i.imgur.com/TDCuKec.jpg

That's about to change... :lol:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Service Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 am

I've tried the technic. Plays havock on my artificial hip. I'll continue shitting the way my forefathers did, thank you very much.
The only tip I have, and it's a "blokes only" thing, completely remove your breeks before parking your lunch - man, it makes a world of difference! Trousers around the ankles is for fucking losers.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Yet another twatter nugget of gold...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Welp, the capital punishment debate at WEIT is going as expected -- some are engaging cordially and intelligently, while the usual SJW subjects are being complete, dishonest, tendentious, emotionally-driven assholes.

Fegg

Post by Fegg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Welp, the capital punishment debate at WEIT is going as expected -- some are engaging cordially and intelligently, while the usual SJW subjects are being complete, dishonest, tendentious, emotionally-driven assholes.
I don't get the hard determinism argument. If all choice is illusion then our choice about whether we support capital punishment or not is also illusory so we shouldn't blame anyone for having the wrong views.

(I used to worry about determinism and free will. Then I decided that if my choice to believe in free will was non illusory then it would be the correct choice, and if my choice was illusory then I had no choice but to believe in free will.)

When we had capital punishment in Canada, we hanged about 12 people a year on average, and kept hardly anyone in prison for more than 10 years. Now we have no capital punishment, but much longer sentences - so around 50 people a year now die in federal custody.

B.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Fegg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Welp, the capital punishment debate at WEIT is going as expected -- some are engaging cordially and intelligently, while the usual SJW subjects are being complete, dishonest, tendentious, emotionally-driven assholes.
I don't get the hard determinism argument. If all choice is illusion then our choice about whether we support capital punishment or not is also illusory so we shouldn't blame anyone for having the wrong views.

(I used to worry about determinism and free will. Then I decided that if my choice to believe in free will was non illusory then it would be the correct choice, and if my choice was illusory then I had no choice but to believe in free will.)

When we had capital punishment in Canada, we hanged about 12 people a year on average, and kept hardly anyone in prison for more than 10 years. Now we have no capital punishment, but much longer sentences - so around 50 people a year now die in federal custody.

B.
I don't get it either. What's the point of working for change if everything is determined? If I give up and sit at home rather than go out and try to make things better then that's what I was going to do anyway there is no basis for criticizing me. Why try to persuade anyone of anything. etc. It seems like Jerry's approach is "Smart people like me are determinists. Therefore if you believe in free will you must not be smart."

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

My big business deal with the child actress fell-thru.

The client wasn't happy with the previous agency-- which they had hired to launch the project. So they turned-to my team.
But the client also didn't get on the same page with my team-- about what they wanted us to deliver & how much that would cost.
Rather than hash-out something they-and-we could both agree-to, --the client retreated back to the previous agency.

I'm more relieved than disappointed. The whole thing was a good test-drive of what it would be like for my team to operate at that level.
We would have pulled it off successfully-- but we have some serious weak spots which need work.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Fegg wrote: I don't get the hard determinism argument. If all choice is illusion then our choice about whether we support capital punishment or not is also illusory so we shouldn't blame anyone for having the wrong views.
The whole determinist thing makes my head hurt, so I ignore it.

The SJWs are getting very angry at me.

But seriously -- how sanctimonious can you get about this lot getting dusted:
Daniel Lewis Lee, a member of a white supremacist group, murdered a family of three, including an eight-year-old girl. After robbing and shooting the victims with a stun gun, Lee covered their heads with plastic bags, sealed the bags with duct tape, weighed down each victim with rocks, and threw the family of three into the Illinois bayou.

Lezmond Mitchell stabbed to death a 63-year-old grandmother and forced her nine-year-old granddaughter to sit beside her lifeless body for a 30 to 40-mile drive. Mitchell then slit the girl’s throat twice, crushed her head with 20-pound rocks, and severed and buried both victims’ heads and hands.

Wesley Ira Purkey violently raped and murdered a 16-year-old girl, and then dismembered, burned, and dumped the young girl’s body in a septic pond. He also was convicted in state court for using a claw hammer to bludgeon to death an 80-year-old woman who suffered from polio and walked with a cane.

Alfred Bourgeois physically and emotionally tortured, sexually molested, and then beat to death his two-and-a-half-year-old daughter.

Dustin Lee Honken shot and killed five people—two men who planned to testify against him and a single, working mother and her ten-year-old and six-year-old daughters.
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/federal- ... cade-lapse

The DOJ description didn't do Bourgeois justice:
An 11-hour autopsy determined the cause of death was severe head trauma. The autopsy also found more than 300 injury marks, including whip marks, healed scars, nonspecific and patterned contusions, abrasions or excoriations, healing ulcerations, lacerations and two bite marks on her body.

Bourgeois’ older daughter testified … that Bourgeois struck the child’s head repeatedly against the front glass window of his tractor truck….

… a number of other witnesses testified about the “hellish existence and horrific cruelty” the 2-year-old endured at the hands of her biological father over the course of approximately sic weeks before her death…

“He had systematically dehumanized her, degraded her, beat her, and ultimately killed her…”
https://www.myplainview.com/news/articl ... 799525.php
In the punishment phase of the trial, eight people, mostly relatives of Bourgeois, testified that they had either been assaulted or threatened by him in recent years.

His wife, Robin, and her daughter told of extensive abuse the 2-year-old endured. Robin Bourgeois said her husband spanked the child so hard the belt broke. She said the child also was beaten with an electrical cord.
The jury also heard that Bourgeois taped the child's mouth to muffle her screams and made her drink his urine from a bottle.
https://ondeathrowusa.blogspot.com/2017 ... h-row.html

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Christ almighty, it's 23:55hrs and it feels like midday.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/VB5WwlZIt8eRy/giphy.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49106092

The missus wandered into the room 20 minutes ago only to be confronted by yours truly, bollock naked, drenched in sweat and staring at the PC screen. She sleepily muttered something about having never been more attracted to me.

Thank fuck she never came over to my desk, I've got a basin full of ice-water and one of her favourite bath scrunchies - sheer knacker-bliss! Got to be careful though, don't want a Darwin award for frying myself... ;)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: snip

I'll continue shitting the way my forefathers did, thank you very much.
What? On the street?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote: Christ almighty, it's 23:55hrs and it feels like midday.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/VB5WwlZIt8eRy/giphy.gif

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49106092

The missus wandered into the room 20 minutes ago only to be confronted by yours truly, bollock naked, drenched in sweat and staring at the PC screen. She sleepily muttered something about having never been more attracted to me.

Thank fuck she never came over to my desk, I've got a basin full of ice-water and one of her favourite bath scrunchies - sheer knacker-bliss! Got to be careful though, don't want a Darwin award for frying myself... ;)
Sounds like a typical summer here. Except for your missus walking in on me bollock naked ...

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

KiwiInOz wrote: Sounds like a typical summer here. Except for your missus walking in on me bollock naked ...
That could be arranged.

How much heroin, shortbread and haggis have you got?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Bhurzum wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: Sounds like a typical summer here. Except for your missus walking in on me bollock naked ...
That could be arranged.

How much heroin, shortbread and haggis have you got?
The haggis might be a problem ...

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Someone named pelmon in that WEIT thread was mildly (imo) disagreeing with the general thrust of the thread and got banned for insulting the regulars:
You made a factual claim. It was refuted. Your reaction is petulant. You must be a regular here.
That’s all it took.
Don’t disagree with the groupthink!

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

KiwiInOz wrote: The haggis might be a problem ...
Those little buggers usually are.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Ho-lee-fork!

If my kids were dragged along to something like that, I'd be boxing some fuckers ears. How is this not child abuse?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: The haggis might be a problem ...
Those little buggers usually are.
I always imagined them looking and acting like Fizzgig...

https://media1.tenor.com/images/ba36a45 ... id=6031798

...small, ginger and very, very angry!

(luvverly with tatties and neeps though)

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Bhurzum wrote: Ho-lee-fork!

If my kids were dragged along to something like that, I'd be boxing some fuckers ears. How is this not child abuse?
The one kid is thinking, “Okay, maybe I’ll rethink that gay thing”.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Free the Neeps!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

The police were called when some guy flashed my wife when she was a kid.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

For anyone legitimately looking to get their balls waxed - there are places that provide such services.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Shame it's always the munters and bush-pigs that get their kit off - a couple of the others would likely elicit more interest.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Now THIS is a headline! I just about spat out me cornflakes...
Brain-eating amoeba kills man after North Carolina water park visit
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-eati ... ater-park/

If it's not a hobo with a shotgun or a gang of pistol-packin' teens, it's fucking brain eating beasties in swimming pools. Be careful, Australia, there's a new contender for your title as "most fucked up place to live."

:shock:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: Shame it's always the munters and bush-pigs that get their kit off - a couple of the others would likely elicit more interest.
Oh, I dunno - some of the "femen" protesters are quite fit...

http://scd.en.rfi.fr/sites/english.file ... FRANCE.JPG

OK, they don't often get fully nude but still, they're worth a letch...

http://d2sh4fq2xsdeg9.cloudfront.net/co ... size_w/604

...and they're waaay hotter than those femin...

https://cdni.rt.com/files/2018.01/artic ... 8b4567.jpg

Fuck sake... :doh:

John D

Post by John D »

All you European cunts... I have two words for you ..... "air conditioning"! (too bad your electricity rates are so fucking high)

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

John D wrote: All you European cunts... I have two words for you ..... "air conditioning"! (too bad your electricity rates are so fucking high)
At least in Germany they are afraid they might feel a draft:

https://aroundthewherever.blogspot.com/ ... oning.html
I had the opportunity to ask a German about this. She's married to an American and has lived in the US so she can see things from both perspectives. She said it's because Germans are concerned about getting a draft on the back of one's neck, or, da da da (cue the dramatic music), on one's kidneys (no joke, they have these wraps you can wear during the winter to avoid getting your kidneys cold). Some Germans believe that such a draft could make one sick and therefore people are extremely distrustful of air conditioning. Her mother always yelled at her never to sit on rocks or anything cold because she'd get a kidney infection. Kind of strange, eh?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Put in, go home? Guess she's looking for a one-night stand.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Driftless wrote: At least in Germany they are afraid they might feel a draft:

I had the opportunity to ask a German about this. She's married to an American and has lived in the US so she can see things from both perspectives. She said it's because Germans are concerned about getting a draft on the back of one's neck, or, da da da (cue the dramatic music), on one's kidneys (no joke, they have these wraps you can wear during the winter to avoid getting your kidneys cold). Some Germans believe that such a draft could make one sick and therefore people are extremely distrustful of air conditioning. Her mother always yelled at her never to sit on rocks or anything cold because she'd get a kidney infection. Kind of strange, eh?
This I can attest to. The Germans fear drafts. Especially on the kidneys. In fact, every ailment imaginable either afflicts or emanates from the kidneys. For the French, it's the liver.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Or blood pressure. The Germans are fixated on blood pressure. My in-laws had their own BP cuff. They went to take my BP and I said the cuff wouldn't work on an American. Why not? 'Cuz it's in metric'.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

mordacious1 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 pm
Someone named pelmon in that WEIT thread was mildly (imo) disagreeing with the general thrust of the thread and got banned for insulting the regulars:
You made a factual claim. It was refuted. Your reaction is petulant. You must be a regular here.
That’s all it took.
Coyne comes across as lighthearted and congenial in his public speaking appearances, yet cranky and intolerant in his moderation policies. He dropped off of my regular reading list a while ago because of his high-handed attitude toward differing political opinions. The commenters are prone to engaging in virtue signalling competitions to see who can divine the most malicious intent in Trump's actions. Pelmon is not far wrong in his assessment of some of them, although I think he should have known he was outside the bounds of what Coyne would tolerate.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Or blood pressure. The Germans are fixated on blood pressure. My in-laws had their own BP cuff. They went to take my BP and I said the cuff wouldn't work on an American. Why not? 'Cuz it's in metric'.
Don't forget the little shelf in the crapper and tub of chopsticks to pick apart your turds...honestly, the boxheads are nuts about shit.

Cnutella

Post by Cnutella »

PZ's posts on Pharyngula continue to document his collapse from a minor star in the atheist constellation into a white dwarf consisting mostly of frustrated ambition and ill-disguised bitterness, plus posts about spiders (his new lab enthusiasm and apparent spirit animal). Most of his posts have hardly been worth documenting.

But every so often, you get a sense of just how angry he really is under his affected shell of world-weary detachment, sorrow at how his good intentions were misconstrued, and Minnesotan passive aggressiveness.

Like today's post, where he explains why he isn't watching The Handmaid's Tale.l, because it is depressing torture porn for feminists.
I’m going to have to recommend some counterprogramming, a guilty pleasure: Afterwar, by Lilith Saintcrow. It’s a rough, brutal, post-apocalyptic war story, so not to everyone’s taste, but the twist is that it takes place in a future America, after an all-too-plausible take-over of a large chunk of the country by fundamentalist Christian fanatics who run concentration camps and death camps and enslave or kill anyone of a different ethnicity than white Anglo-Saxon. The premise is very Handmaid’s Tale-ish.

This story starts up, though, with the wars to crush the evil neo-Nazis, and the aftermath as the bad guys are hunted down and their regime demolished. Everyone suffers, and it’s not a happy story either, but at least the right-wing fanatics suffer more.

It’s all about people fighting back, so it’s a wish-fulfillment fantasy for those of us watching the current ascendancy of scumbags
Niiiice, PeeZee. The trouble is, it seems a majority of the people with the guns and the training seem to sympathize more with the right and center than with the far left. So hopefully it won't come to that but if it does, the effete liberals jacking it over the prospect of political violence might have to do some soul searching for any vestigial traces of the attributes of toxic masculinity like aggression and emotional stoicism.

http://archive.is/qNYsf

BoxNDox

Post by BoxNDox »

Bhurzum wrote: Now THIS is a headline! I just about spat out me cornflakes...
Brain-eating amoeba kills man after North Carolina water park visit
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/brain-eati ... ater-park/

If it's not a hobo with a shotgun or a gang of pistol-packin' teens, it's fucking brain eating beasties in swimming pools. Be careful, Australia, there's a new contender for your title as "most fucked up place to live."

:shock:
Never thought this was a great idea:
https://www.navage.com/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Fuck me, but the epithet 'libtard' is all to often accurate:

gay_rapey_priests.png
(75.92 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
:doh:

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/201 ... 4547704966

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

It's getting very ugly at WEIT, where the SJW's long knives are out to get me. I'm taking a break, not the least because there's a fire 10 miles from me and I'm loading up the truck. Hopefully see you all later!

Mookie

Post by Mookie »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: Coyne comes across as lighthearted and congenial in his public speaking appearances, yet cranky and intolerant in his moderation policies. He dropped off of my regular reading list a while ago because of his high-handed attitude toward differing political opinions. The commenters are prone to engaging in virtue signalling competitions to see who can divine the most malicious intent in Trump's actions. Pelmon is not far wrong in his assessment of some of them, although I think he should have known he was outside the bounds of what Coyne would tolerate.
Coyne is an insecure, attention-seeking, validation-seeking, dick. In some ways he is worse than PZ, because he is smarter than PZ and therefore more is expected from him.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Driftless wrote:
John D wrote: All you European cunts... I have two words for you ..... "air conditioning"! (too bad your electricity rates are so fucking high)
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Driftless wrote: At least in Germany they are afraid they might feel a draft:

This I can attest to. The Germans fear drafts. Especially on the kidneys. In fact, every ailment imaginable either afflicts or emanates from the kidneys. For the French, it's the liver.

It's worse for South Koreans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death

Not a worry for North Koreans, who haven't the electricity to run a fan.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I was browsing for a podcast...
when I discovered there's an entire genre of libtard podcasts...
dedicated to licking Robert Mueller's boots...

https://i.imgur.com/gfQ5phm.png

https://i.imgur.com/T0wlqxT.png

also:

The Mueller Report: A Radio Dramatization

‘The Asset,’ a new podcast from the nonprofit Moscow Project, tells the story in a way that sticks

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

RIP Paul Krassner

https://www.thenation.com/article/paul- ... prankster/

Without his work in the Realist magazine - we may never have discovered the truth about LBJ & JFK or the Disneyland Memorial Orgy

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: It's getting very ugly at WEIT, where the SJW's long knives are out to get me. I'm taking a break, not the least because there's a fire 10 miles from me and I'm loading up the truck. Hopefully see you all later!

Good luck with both flamewars.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

MarcusAu wrote: we may never have discovered the truth about LBJ & JFK
LBJ doesn't get enough credit for inventing the Fleshlight during that flight to Bethesda Naval Hospital.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Driftless wrote:

My mum always used to tell me that sitting on something cold would give me Chalfonts.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

You don't hear it any more but a favorite disease of the past from sitting on something cold or wet was "a cold in the kidneys" - which was probably a UTI.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: My mum always used to tell me that sitting on something cold would give me Chalfonts.
Same here - cold, hard surface = bumgrapes.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 pm
That’s all it took.
Coyne comes across as lighthearted and congenial in his public speaking appearances, yet cranky and intolerant in his moderation policies. He dropped off of my regular reading list a while ago because of his high-handed attitude toward differing political opinions. The commenters are prone to engaging in virtue signalling competitions to see who can divine the most malicious intent in Trump's actions. Pelmon is not far wrong in his assessment of some of them, although I think he should have known he was outside the bounds of what Coyne would tolerate.
I enjoy his blog (see below) so don't want to diss him too much here. I suspect he at least skims here. (I post under the same nym.) He's a little persnickety, but I can generally tolerate it. Like his insistence that it isn't a blog. It is a blog. Like that he conflates visiting a blog with entering a person's domicile. It isn't. I once opined that his taste in meat was raw. He claimed that I "food shamed" him, and not in a humorous way.

Granted I'm a little spoiled by the pit, but I now consider anything less than the free for all, tongue in cheek and pub-like atmosphere that it offers somewhat annoying and claustrophobic.

BUT...he's pointed in the right direction, and I'm happy to have him on my side.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Cnutella wrote: PZ's posts on Pharyngula continue to document his collapse from a minor star in the atheist constellation into a white dwarf consisting mostly of frustrated ambition and ill-disguised bitterness, plus posts about spiders (his new lab enthusiasm and apparent spirit animal). Most of his posts have hardly been worth documenting.

But every so often, you get a sense of just how angry he really is under his affected shell of world-weary detachment, sorrow at how his good intentions were misconstrued, and Minnesotan passive aggressiveness.

Like today's post, where he explains why he isn't watching The Handmaid's Tale.l, because it is depressing torture porn for feminists.
I’m going to have to recommend some counterprogramming, a guilty pleasure: Afterwar, by Lilith Saintcrow. It’s a rough, brutal, post-apocalyptic war story, so not to everyone’s taste, but the twist is that it takes place in a future America, after an all-too-plausible take-over of a large chunk of the country by fundamentalist Christian fanatics who run concentration camps and death camps and enslave or kill anyone of a different ethnicity than white Anglo-Saxon. The premise is very Handmaid’s Tale-ish.

This story starts up, though, with the wars to crush the evil neo-Nazis, and the aftermath as the bad guys are hunted down and their regime demolished. Everyone suffers, and it’s not a happy story either, but at least the right-wing fanatics suffer more.

It’s all about people fighting back, so it’s a wish-fulfillment fantasy for those of us watching the current ascendancy of scumbags
Niiiice, PeeZee. The trouble is, it seems a majority of the people with the guns and the training seem to sympathize more with the right and center than with the far left. So hopefully it won't come to that but if it does, the effete liberals jacking it over the prospect of political violence might have to do some soul searching for any vestigial traces of the attributes of toxic masculinity like aggression and emotional stoicism.

http://archive.is/qNYsf
First of all, THT is fiction, and pretty hyperbolic and ridiculous fiction too. Try describing THT to an outsider, a "normie", and see what their reaction is. The vast majority of normal people find the demonetization of men and white people weird and abnormal. Normal people consider male and white conspiracy to oppress and dominate a fringe and borderline belief.

I'm glad to see PZ shunted into the margins where he belongs. He's got nothing constructive to offer society.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Anyone else watching "The Boys" on Amazon-prime?

I'm almost finished season one, it's been a riot of gore, chuckles and pure entertainment. Very similar in places to "Watchmen" - behind closed doors, most of the heroes are total scumbags and you get to see some truly fucked up aspects to their character(s) in ways that 99% of genre movies shy away from. Of particular note, "Homelander" is one click away from a bible-bashing nazi and has a hilarious (but very disturbing-to-watch) kink which you're forced to watch. Toe curling stuff!

Got to check it out, gory as hell, peppered with more "cunts" than a Scottish wedding and the overall theme makes it a joy to watch. Seriously, if you like adult capes & crime bollocks, you'll eat this up!

Plus "Starlight" is smoking hot!

(That's her on the left)

https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5 ... VuLmpwZw==

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

screwtape wrote: You don't hear it any more but a favorite disease of the past from sitting on something cold or wet was "a cold in the kidneys" - which was probably a UTI.
Jonathan Meades tells a story of a family that claimed to have contracted syphilis from a towel.

But this took place in or near Salisbury, so is perhaps not unexpected...