You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
Service Dog

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by Service Dog »

Something about the combination of CoronavirusPanic + US Presidential Race Bumbling... made me want to rewatch Wall-E.

First, I must digress & say my best friend-- the cross-dressing HIV+ knucklehead known as 'Fang'-- called me yesterday & said someone he trusts told him that it was time to prepare for shortages and unrest... due to Coronavirus. Fang told me he was concerned, but didn't want to be stuck with cans of beans and cases of pasta-- or whatever survival food, if the epidemic fizzles out. Fang then leapt immediately to chattering about whether he should buy a fucking CROSSBOW, of all things. "I know if 10 guys were coming at me, it wouldn't take them all out, but at least I could show it and say 'back off, or I'll take at least 1 of you with me blah blah blah." These words hit me like being slapped with a cold fish. I forget that Fang isn't firing on all cylinders. And that I forget that the general public operates at about Fang's level. Hence Biden and Bernie and Warren and Bloomberg and Trump.

Fang's a hard worker. He has amassed tens of thousands of dollars, from 2 shitty jobs, cleaning bars-- which has been his career since early teens. He's in his 40's now. He keeps the money in a safe deposit box-- not trusting banks & fearing that too-much money in the bank would disqualify him from subsidized AIDS meds. I have no idea if that fear is realistic. I've told him before-- that if he really expects society to collapse or malfunction seriously-- then he should convert some of that money to gold or hard trade-goods... maybe cases of vodka. Today I made a joke-- that he could hedge both options by hoarding Goldschläger.

I also told him that the price of gold had jumped-up, in the last couple days. Fang responded with a brilliantly idiotic Karl Pilkington-esque brainfart... which could be Fang's greatest asset, if I were dilligent enough to harness his golden stupidity, a la Ricky Gervais. Fang said he wished he had bought gold a few days ago-- to prepare for emergency. Because then he could flip the gold back to dollars today, and profit. My brain broke. I said flipping the gold back into a crashing currency-- would defeat the purpose of hedging against that currency in gold. If every dollar is only worth ten cents tomorrow, that doesn't mean you should Buy dollars. And buy even-more dollars when they're only worth a penny-on-the-dollar. Fang said doing-so would be a good idea, "when the value of the dollar bounces-back". I said that might never happen-- like Confederate money. And if it DID happen-- then there was no need to get rid of dollars in the first place... just out-wait the downturn & break-even.

So... tonight the girlfriend & I watched Wall-E. At first, I compared it to Heinlein's 'Orphans in the Sky'. But then I realized the blubbery humans in Wall-E are a much closer derivative of the "B" Ark spaceship in Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

So I watched a clip of the old BBC TV series. Ford Prefect & Arthur Dent find themselves on a spaceship full of hairdressers and product marketing consultants and telephone sanitizers, in cryogenic sleep. The ship's captain is a nutter who spends all day every day in the bath. (Echoes of Rebecca Vitmun's hot tub, in my mind). The captain is a 'leader' on a par with US Presidential choices. The ship full of idiots colonize a planet & declare tree leaves to be the official currency. They all become obscenely rich, then inflation causes an exchange rate of 3 deciduous forests for 1 ship's peanut. So they decide to burn down the forests, to stabilize the currency. Meanwhile, the bigbrains who purged these idiots from the their home planet-- all die of a disease outbreak, spreading from an un-sanitized public telephone.

We're doomed.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

fuzzy wrote: I too listened to the whole thing, and I may do it again. It is a tour into an alternate reality.
Matt Dillahunty's all-too-predictable response to the Vitsmun/Silverman podcast episodes:

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

"Based Faggot" Milo Yiannopoulos demonstrates the value of fighting fire with fire. SJW cretins love to play the "get them fired" game but hate it when the tables are turned...
A waitress who attempted to have Milo Yiannopoulos removed from a restaurant in New Jersey for being “racist” was subsequently fired after Milo contacted the owners of the restaurant.
https://summit.news/2020/03/03/waitress ... ing-fired/

The tweets towards the end of the video are priceless! She's clearly a catch ;)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Young Turk Grand Poobah fails miserably in attempted coup.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Things are heating up in UK coastal waters!
Tory government tells EU that Royal Navy will be sent in to protect UK waters from European fishing vessels

'We have significantly increased our enforcement capability....we think that is sufficient'
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 74496.html

Watch this space. Something tells me that Boris isn't bluffing...

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

The girl in the Silverman thing sounds completely neurotic.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:09 pm
From my own blood lipid results, I have a discordancy that no doctor has been able to give me any insight on. My results are similar to Sulman's, but even more so. My triglycerides are extremely low, less than half the threshold of concern, and my HDL is in the optimum range. Yet my LDL is on the high side, especially for someone with CVD history. Do you know if this is highly unusual? Every doctor I've asked just shrugs and says I need to focus on the LDL. I was prescribed statins years ago after my stroke and they did keep my LDL's down even though I've only taken them sporadically, but with a recent elevation in my LDL, I've decided to go back to taking them as prescribed at least until I lose 20 lb.
Doesn't sound unusual at all; there's no zero sum between HDL and LDL, and any combo is possible. Triglycerides are an entirely different metabolic matter. Naturally, the plentiful HDL and low trigs are on your side, but if you've had one stroke I'd be inclined to do whatever you can to improve the odds of delaying or avoiding another. I would demand a statin in your situation, and furthermore I would stay on it even after losing weight, unless it were causing intolerable side-effects.
Brive1987 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:42 pm

Is it inaccurate to identify HDL and LDL as having two seperate jobs, each equally important? Ie one to the liver and the other to the cells?
I believe it is.
Brive1987 wrote:
If that’s accurate, and if your fat readings are ok, is there any inherent issue with pattern A LDL? My understanding is it’s smaller than HDL but still too big to lodge in the blood vessels But above suggests otherwise. I also believe LDL size is on a spectrum and the arbitrary division into A and B is simplistic, but B is shorthand for compacted instances that deviate from the norm due to third party interference.
LDL most certainly can deposit in artery walls - there's a reason why it's called 'bad cholesterol'. It's not as bad as VLDL, but that is a much smaller proportion of the total. The pattern A and B thing has come along since my day, and if true that LDL can be subdivided into larger and smaller molecules, then the larger ones are better. Even so, if you have a high risk, or have proven your risk by one event already, I'd want to do whatever possible to reduce further risk. Without risk factors (family history, smoking, diabetes, obesity, hypertension, past vascular event be it cardiac, cerebral or peripheral) I'd be far more cautious about using a drug.
Brive1987 wrote:
The topic is all very interesting and not what I heard a year ago from the doctor. He looked at a single cholesterol reading without breakdown and without further discussion wrote out a prescription. Which I carefully put aside while I reconsidered my approach.
And very reasonable too, if you haven't had a satisfying explanation of the reasoning behind the prescription. We don't tend to go by total cholesterol anymore, but remember there are conditions in which a statin is automatically prescribed regardless of cholesterol results (IHD, PVD, NIDDM) because there's heaps of evidence it improves outcomes. The grey area is when taking a statin is optional, and involves weighing risks against cost, side-effects and the general demoralisation of being on a drug. There are several risk factor calculators available to assist here, where you plug in age, systolic BP, total/HDL ratio, smoking status and get a percentage chance of heart attack in the next five or ten years. The Framingham risk score is one of the better validated ones.

Really?

Post by Really? »

fuzzy wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:26 pm
Service Dog wrote:
Really? wrote: the David Silverman saga
I made it thru all 3 hours of Silverman's "he touched my lower back!!!" accuser, on the Dogma Debate podcast.
That Rebecca Vitsmun is a real piece of work.

I found the Atheism-Is-Unstoppable reaction-video... to be insightful in many ways... however many of AIU's interjections served only to make listening more unbearable. I didn't make it to the end of that version.
I too listened to the whole thing, and I may do it again. It is a tour into an alternate reality.
I listened, too. Wow. She is a textbook loony and anyone who defends her is equally demented. You don't even have to speak English to tell she has several screws loose.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

screwtape wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:09 pm
From my own blood lipid results, I have a discordancy that no doctor has been able to give me any insight on. My results are similar to Sulman's, but even more so. My triglycerides are extremely low, less than half the threshold of concern, and my HDL is in the optimum range. Yet my LDL is on the high side, especially for someone with CVD history. Do you know if this is highly unusual? Every doctor I've asked just shrugs and says I need to focus on the LDL. I was prescribed statins years ago after my stroke and they did keep my LDL's down even though I've only taken them sporadically, but with a recent elevation in my LDL, I've decided to go back to taking them as prescribed at least until I lose 20 lb.
Doesn't sound unusual at all; there's no zero sum between HDL and LDL, and any combo is possible. Triglycerides are an entirely different metabolic matter. Naturally, the plentiful HDL and low trigs are on your side, but if you've had one stroke I'd be inclined to do whatever you can to improve the odds of delaying or avoiding another. I would demand a statin in your situation, and furthermore I would stay on it even after losing weight, unless it were causing intolerable side-effects.
Thanks. I know there's no direct mechanistic link between HDL, LDL, and triglyceride levels and any combination is theoretically possible. It's more the metabolic syndrome/prediabetes profile that I seem to be at odds with. In every way except for HDL's and triglycerides, I meet the standard profile. I'm hypertensive, although reasonably well controlled with medication, my recent A1C's are marginally above 6%, if I don't calorie restrict I'll put on weight like crazy, and it's extraordinarily difficult for me to lose weight. I can find almost no information on the health implications of this profile. I know that if I had the full metabolic syndrome profile with my history, statistically my long-term survival outlook would be grim. Of course, I'd like to believe the contrary HDL and triglyceride levels largely mitigate this (sources like Robert Lustig strongly suggest it, but I can't find anything definitive). For now, I'll play it safe, take the statins and get my LDL's back down.

I'm glad you're a full-throated supporter of statins, as I'm concerned the internet sources I've been looking at are biased and I'm not getting the full picture. A very common claim among lipid hypothesis contrarians is that while there's lots of evidence statins reduce LDL, there's no evidence they reduce CVD or mortality significantly. I take it you are saying this is blatantly false.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

LMAO. You marry a complete dog, and still get cucked by that bug-eyed, bandy-legged little cockroach.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

jugheadnaut wrote: A very common claim among lipid hypothesis contrarians is that while there's lots of evidence statins reduce LDL, there's no evidence they reduce CVD or mortality significantly. I take it you are saying this is blatantly false.
Multiple trials show statins to reduce cardiovascular events and deaths in those with heart disease, and those with high LDL but no heart disease. More information than anyone would want is in this Lancet Review. It's worth reading through, as it goes over the evidence for each kind of benefit and for the risks. The bottom line that matters is that the benefits far outweigh the risks. It goes into some detail on the fact that false or exaggerated claims of harm prevent people taking the drugs and lives are being curtailed that could have been saved. Lipid contrarians are as bad as anti-vaxxers in this respect.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

screwtape wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
The topic is all very interesting and not what I heard a year ago from the doctor. He looked at a single cholesterol reading without breakdown and without further discussion wrote out a prescription. Which I carefully put aside while I reconsidered my approach.
And very reasonable too, if you haven't had a satisfying explanation of the reasoning behind the prescription.
It was actually funnier than that. Dr said “cholesterol is high and blood sugar is high but not quite diabetic. Try eating better for 6 weeks and we will remeasure. If there’s no improvement I’ll prescribe medication”.

I asked what specifically I should eat as I hate / have a phobia about vegetables. He replied with two words “low GI”.

I left. The next day his receptionist rang and said my prescription was available to be picked up.

Admittedly he was Chinese and there appeared to be a language barrier stopping effective communication.

All round waste of time.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I didn't realize that before Rebecca Vitsmun was famous for Silverman viciously caressing her sacrum she was on CNN bravely declaring herself an atheist after God destroyed her trailer in a tornado. If you watch carefully to this clip, Wolf Blitzer caresses her back, apparently triggering an orgasm, then gropes her child. Next #metoo scandal has Wolf getting the heave ho from CNN.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote: Admittedly he was Chinese and there appeared to be a language barrier stopping effective communication.

All round waste of time.
My old family doctor that I had for most of my teens and 20s retired. I've been looking around Canberra for a new one for about 8 years now. The biggest hurdle I'm finding is one that actually speaks English above a fourth grade level. Fortunately, I'm pretty healthy and don't need ongoing medication of any sort. The other thing that terrifies me about our walk in clinics, which I've been using for the few times I've need something looked at, is that the Indian doctors there will pretty much start writing out prescriptions before you've even finished describing your symptoms and certainly without doing any sort of physical check. I'm sceptical that a pill can solve all problems.

There's still two suburban family clinics near me that look worth checking out.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

fuzzy wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:26 pm

I too listened to the whole thing, and I may do it again. It is a tour into an alternate reality.
I think this is the first time I've heard an interviewer strongly push back against the SJW dogma that emotional reaction from "lived experience" by a self declared victim or member of a marginalized group always trumps rational argumentation from evidence. It's probably the first time it's happened to her as well, and she isn't skilled enough in SJW jujitsu to know the counter is to accuse him of gaslighting or victim blaming. Instead, she reacts with tears, outrage, belittlement and talking over Smalley every time she's worried he has a point damaging to her credibility.

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:52 pm
I didn't realize that before Rebecca Vitsmun was famous for Silverman viciously caressing her sacrum she was on CNN bravely declaring herself an atheist after God destroyed her trailer in a tornado. If you watch carefully to this clip, Wolf Blitzer caresses her back, apparently triggering an orgasm, then gropes her child. Next #metoo scandal has Wolf getting the heave ho from CNN.
Good spot. Maybe she was stunned into her statement by the orgasm she had while cradling her child.

Either way, we need universal health care so she can have five days a week therapy for her PTSD from all of the C4 and sacrum creepy touching caressing.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

This week, I saw an unusual surname on a web page. Same as my best friend, back in 3rd grade. He was an ok kid. Very normal. Decent but dull. Less bright than me, if flashy, giddy bursts of smartypants-energy counts as brightness. I googled him. He's a project manager for offshore oilrig construction. Custom designs, where the drill bores at odd angles, etc. Impressive. Substantial. I didn't think he had it in him. By 5th grade he was already lacking in 'cool', compared to other friend options. Cool being a commodity which, lately, I'm very-aware that I overvalued. I can't cash-in my accumulated cool-points anywhere.

Final year of high school: different best-friend turns me on to a zine from Detroit called Motorbooty. Which taught me about cool stuff, like the MC5 and Funkadelic. A few years later, my band got a brief mention in Motorbooty. Cool-points. Motorbooty once ran a satirical financial statement from The Bank Of Coolness and Credibility... which indexed various hipster music scene icons, ranking them by net worth in cool-points. Sonic Youth was #1.

This week, I saw an unusual guitar on youtube. It has a "b-bender" mechanism, which bends the B string, to give a country lap-steel sound. B-benders were the secret weapon of the Byrds, the Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons. <--Those are 3 names which I've always semi-unconsciously avoided. I don't like California culture, or that self-serious early 70s pop music era, or the hipster nostalgia for it. But now I watched & listened online. Which confirmed my waryness/ but I was also glad I finally gave it a try. I was vaguely aware of a story-- about Gram Parsons' body being burned in the desert. But now Iearned that his friends stole his coffin from LAX airport & tried to cremate it in Joshua Tree park, where he had liked to get high. They only succeeded in barbequeing him. I thought about the time I drove a van into Joshua Tree & did acid & got stuck in the sand overnight & the next day I bickered with two cops who thought my van was a meth lab. Gram Parsons worshipers wish they had an experience like that. (There's a movie starring Johnny Knoxville, about the corpse theft & failed cremation.) But I didn't even know I was emulating their hero. Which is worth more worthless cool-points than intentionally making the pilgrimage to Joshua Tree.

Joe Rogan's most recent podcast guest is Adam Curry. Before that, Gary Clark Jr. Back in the 90's Adam Curry offered to sign my band. We thought we were too cool for him. We were very wrong. He even named our band as the next-big-thing in SPY magazine... a big coolpoint score. Gary Clark Jr. endorses Lincoln Continentals & Lincoln Navigators. A couple years ago, he played a small corporate event (also featuring Willie Nelson's son Lucas). I hung the Lincoln sign on the stage & arranged the snacks on his dressing room table & chit-chatted a bit.

This would be bragging-- if I felt at-all good about it. But I have a crumbling middle-aged feeling in the gut, knowing I invested too much attention in worthless pursuit of cool. I'm a stupid asshole.

I took a long subway ride to Astoria Queens today, to a Goodwill complex. Loading dock, office, no retail store, lots of shabby looking guys-- presumably getting job-training assistance. Per goodwill's mission. One guy thought he recognized me... or just mistook me for a peer. I was wearing a worse-for-wear track suit covered in dog hair, Crocs, jumble of earbuds and cellphone battery in hand, beard is getting long. I look like an ex-con or junkie needing employment help. The guy offered me a fist bump, then said 'you shouldn't do that-- corona.' I was there to pick up a kid-sized miniature flying-v guitar, won on goodwill's online auction site for $21. "Why am I here? What am I doing? What do I need another guitar for?" I felt like I was on autopilot... mindlessly buying and retrieving an object for reasons which stopped making sense years ago, out of mere habit. On the other hand, it was an excuse to get out of the house... better than nothing, maybe.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

I am given to understand that using a smaller plate and eating utensils can work wonders.

Also a tall skinny glass for (non-water) drinks.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

I think Youtube has started hosting strange gay-porn...

It's actually quite funny. Also, his channel is a hoot!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

MarcusAu wrote: I am given to understand that using a smaller plate and eating utensils can work wonders.

Also a tall skinny glass for (non-water) drinks.
That just means you go back for seconds and end up consuming twice as much.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

screwtape wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: A very common claim among lipid hypothesis contrarians is that while there's lots of evidence statins reduce LDL, there's no evidence they reduce CVD or mortality significantly. I take it you are saying this is blatantly false.

Multiple trials show statins to reduce cardiovascular events and deaths in those with heart disease, and those with high LDL but no heart disease. More information than anyone would want is in this Lancet Review. It's worth reading through, as it goes over the evidence for each kind of benefit and for the risks. The bottom line that matters is that the benefits far outweigh the risks. It goes into some detail on the fact that false or exaggerated claims of harm prevent people taking the drugs and lives are being curtailed that could have been saved. Lipid contrarians are as bad as anti-vaxxers in this respect.
Thanks again. I'll probably need to look at the published research directly to come to a conclusion satisfactory to me, because it appears proponents of one side of this debate or the other are engaged in misrepresenting results or cherry picking. Here's a fairly standard lipid hypothesis contrarian video from an Australian sports and exercise medicine physician where late in the video he cites a study published in the BMJ which he concedes show statins result in life extension, but only 5 days for at-risk individuals and 3 days for healthy individuals. He also cites another study to claim the rate of side effects from statins is 25%, not the 1% that statin proponents frequently claim. This would make the benefits of statins highly questionable.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Hunt wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:01 am

That just means you go back for seconds and end up consuming twice as much.
Not necessarily.

If you are familiar with the way your brains unconscious processes work then you would know that they are fucking mental.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Who would have guessed Tulsi would be the last woman in the race while still being an also-ran. I wonder what the DNC's contingency plans are in the significantly possible circumstance that health or cognitive issues force Biden out before the convention.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jugheadnaut wrote: Who would have guessed Tulsi would be the last woman in the race while still being an also-ran.
Under the current parameters, she's qualified for the next debate. But the DNC changes its rules more often than NASCAR, plus she's persona non grata, so don't hold your breath.
I wonder what the DNC's contingency plans are in the significantly possible circumstance that health or cognitive issues force Biden out before the convention.
Sherrod Brown.

Nor is it certain Bernie's ticker will hold out.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: Who would have guessed Tulsi would be the last woman in the race while still being an also-ran.
Under the current parameters, she's qualified for the next debate. But the DNC changes its rules more often than NASCAR, plus she's persona non grata, so don't hold your breath.
I wonder what the DNC's contingency plans are in the significantly possible circumstance that health or cognitive issues force Biden out before the convention.
Sherrod Brown.

Nor is it certain Bernie's ticker will hold out.
I don't get it. I see articles about Warren voters "grieving" after she dropped out like she is the last women in the race. Nobody ever mentions that Tulsi is still in it. This is not a case of deplorable Trump voters not voting for a woman. There are women in the democratic party after all.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Characterising Dr Mason in general, and this video in particular, as “ ... fairly standard lipid hypothesis contrarian video” is, well let’s just say “odd”.

It’s probably the clearest and best backed explanation of the overall process available to the common man. I’d be interested in where the controversy lies with the presented information.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Brive1987 wrote: Characterising Dr Mason in general, and this video in particular, as “ ... fairly standard lipid hypothesis contrarian video” is, well let’s just say “odd”.

It’s probably the clearest and best backed explanation of the overall process available to the common man. I’d be interested in where the controversy lies with the presented information.
I meant the claims were standard, but I agree the quality of the presentation is exceptional.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice

I saw the Tommy Robinson video before it was memory holed by youtube. They should have left it up if they wanted to discredit him.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: I saw the Tommy Robinson video before it was memory holed by youtube. They should have left it up if they wanted to discredit him.

free thoughtpolice

That is a different one than I saw. In the other one he is more aggressive, talks about confronting the bum grabber and punching him out.
If what he said happened, I would be inclined to what he did in his place.
I 'm not convinced of his credibility though.

free thoughtpolice

Service Dog wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: I saw the Tommy Robinson video before it was memory holed by youtube. They should have left it up if they wanted to discredit him.
That's the one.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

That is a different one than I saw. In the other one he is more aggressive, talks about confronting the bum grabber and punching him out.
Fucking hell. If that is legit and they haven't arrested the alleged groper then something is seriously fucked up. I have no dog in the fight wrt Tommy Robinson, but I would have done exactly what he did.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: This week, I saw an unusual surname on a web page. Same as my best friend, back in 3rd grade. He was an ok kid. ....

.... I felt like I was on autopilot... mindlessly buying and retrieving an object for reasons which stopped making sense years ago, out of mere habit. On the other hand, it was an excuse to get out of the house... better than nothing, maybe.
Dog... when are you going to write your book? I really enjoy your writing.

Sometimes... people like you are rockets... changing the world. Sometimes, boring persistent people like me end up just plowing away for 40 years and find success.... like your uncool friend. Or maybe we are over simplifying.

My Dad's funeral was pretty good. I have only cried a bit. I said goodbye to him months ago when he started to not recognize me. I am so pleased I made a good model of a LCVP landing craft for him 6 months ago. He was sharp enough to enjoy seeing the model even though he immediately forgot I was the one who built it. He was a coxswain and landed on Iwo Jima. Crazy shit.

My wife and I are going to D.C. in a few weeks. We are working on not hating each other for our faults. Life is a bitch. I hope we don't get Corona-19 while on vacation.

free thoughtpolice

KiwiInOz wrote:
Fucking hell. If that is legit and they haven't arrested the alleged groper then something is seriously fucked up. I have no dog in the fight wrt Tommy Robinson, but I would have done exactly what he did.
Like I said, if that really happened as said in the video I would feel sympathy for TR.
I have problem believing his spiel. A lot of his evidence sounds like he is coaching his daughter.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

If I were to...somehow... legitimately... accidentally grab... an 8 year old girl's butt... and her father punched me in the face...
I sure as shit wouldn't be pressing charges against him for it.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 pm
KiwiInOz wrote:
Like I said, if that really happened as said in the video I would feel sympathy for TR.
I have problem believing his spiel. A lot of his evidence sounds like he is coaching his daughter.
Robinson is a complicated and flawed character. He's been consistently lied about, targeted for harassment and seen his family physically endangered by the actions of the media and left wing public money-grubbing "non-profits" like Hope not Hate. I'm sure his levels of frustration and stress are through the roof and he is justifiably very protective of his children and suspicious of the police. His behaviour toward the police here is unreasonable and hot headed, but then perhaps that's as much to do with the long term stress he's been under as his undoubted natural tendency toward confrontation. He has been assaulted a number of times and is on record as saying that he now responds very quickly to neutralise a threat, particularly when his family is involved. The media report every altercation but never fail to leave out the mitigating context. The media are very adept at creating hate figures and they've been doing it to Robinson for a long, long time. That he is a bit of an idiot sometimes doesn't justify what they do to him.

He doesn't sound like he is coaching his child at all. He asks her direct questions and she answers clearly.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Vox typically serves up tendentious SJW tripe, but this is a mostly even-handed and exceedingly insightful -- if discouraging -- assessment of the divisive, acrimonious state of the American body politic:

https://www.vox.com/2020/3/5/21165479/c ... ind-threat

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Driftless wrote: I don't get it. I see articles about Warren voters "grieving" after she dropped out like she is the last women in the race. Nobody ever mentions that Tulsi is still in it. This is not a case of deplorable Trump voters not voting for a woman. There are women in the democratic party after all.
Seems that Lizzie attracted a lot of bitter wymmynz, the same type who hijacked, then wrecked, the 2008 PUMA movement.

Warren failed because she was a fraud and a hectoring school marm.

cf.
Elizabeth Warren's pandering and dishonesty brought her campaign to an end

Kamala Harris failed because the rest of the country discovered what we Californians knew -- she's a Machiavellian with no moral compass and a thoroughly nasty person.

Kirsten Gillibrand failed because she's a grasping Tracy Flick, a metoo opportunist and backstabber, a woke virtue-signaler who believed she was ordained to explain White Privilege to downtrodden blue collar folk.

Marianne Williamson. No need to elaborate.

Tulsi Gabbard has the poise, elegance and gravitas, but she's a one-trick pony and that trick unfortunately is dogmatic pacifism. Her campaign has devolved to instagrams of her snowboarding and working out. [Granted, she is quite hawt in exercise pants.]

Amy Klobuchar failed because of her initial lack of name recognition, then from being intentionally ignored by the left-leaning MSM, and dismissed by the emotion-driven party devotees as not inspiring [read: demagogic] enough. Her slightly more moderate views positioned her best among the field to win the general election, but drew the ire of the leftist wing of the party.

Nevertheless, she kept surviving round after round as better-known candidates fell to the wayside, was extremely frugal with her funds while Warren was profligate, and earned the lion's share of newspaper endorsements. But just when her campaign finally took off and the MSM had to notice, the black voters of South Carolina resurrected Biden, and the media jumped on that horse race story.

Still, with her strategically wise withdrawal and endorsement of Biden -- and now well over the name recognition hump -- Klobuchar has set herself up well for another run in four years. She may also have finagled a VP slot this year in exchange for her endorsement.

cf.
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... ent-122644
Sexism does not remotely figure into the question of who the frontrunners in the Democratic primary are. If anything, Joe Biden’s triumph in Minnesota specifically shows that one woman in Democratic politics has a lot of clout, and a lot more than the media or punditocracy wanted to recognize before Tuesday: Amy Klobuchar.

Unlike Elizabeth Warren, who has long been a media and “netroots” darling, Klobuchar lacked name ID and a major national profile. Despite that, when she was in the race she massively over-achieved. Then, she hand-delivered a state Bernie Sanders won four years ago to Biden.

That demonstrates that Democratic voters and leaders treat serious women in the party seriously, and follow their lead. It’s just that Warren is a bad and unappealing candidate who made the mistake of assuming she could win by emphasizing that she has two X chromosomes, taking women voters for granted, making a sort-of-veiled argument that people should vote for her because otherwise “sexism” and talking about policy in great detail. These are all great ways to lose elections and underperform, whereas Klobuchar focused on showcasing her likability and relatability, and hammering President Donald Trump hard and consistently in debates. That made her a power player and might even get her a VP nomination, both things that look fairly unattainable for Warren at this point.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tulsi is elegant, but I meant eloquent

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

https://i.imgur.com/djDssBA.jpg?1

I agree-- Tulsi's 'one trick' is her antiwar policy.

But she has a 2nd 'trick', contextual to the field of candidates: Unlike Biden-- she's coherent & even-tempered, unlike Bernie-- she's young & not a shouter. Unlike Warren, Tulsi's un-irritating and not a liar. She's not a sellout like Buttigieg. She's not awkward like Klobuchar. Didn't throw poor blacks in prison. Not a billionaire. Not a Hillary clone. Not fake. No hated penis, not too white. Not impossible to imagine mass enthusiasm for seeing her triumph.

I'm listing non-attributes. I'm giving Tulsi credit for Lacking Negatives. Maybe Democrats were unable to count-that in her favor, because doing-so would require admitting the flaws of the other Dems.

I do think, beyond her initial appeal, Tulsi's a bit lackluster. Similar to how Al Gore was solid but 'boring'.

But Democrats eliminated Tulsi from consideration early, in a "bracket" fashion. But-- side-by-side with candidates who advanced further... it's difficult to say they're better & she's worse.

When I think of how Tulsi was overlooked & shunned... by brain detatches from the train of thought... and coasts to a dead stop. I don't have any next thought, past "Well, that was a mistake."

There is a dark train tunnel ahead, which I don't want to enter. The question of whether Democrats 'deserve' whatever bad things befall them, for that mistake. I can't face-- whether to embrace the spite & laugh at 4 more years of rightwing supreme court justices & GOP gains. Or whether to reject the spite & keep wishing-well to Dem losers who can't be bothered to save themselves from themselves.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Service Dog wrote:
I agree-- Tulsi's 'one trick' is her antiwar policy.

But she has a 2nd 'trick', contextual to the field of candidates: Unlike Biden-- she's coherent & even-tempered, unlike Bernie-- she's young & not a shouter. Unlike Warren, Tulsi's un-irritating and not a liar. She's not a sellout like Buttigieg. She's not awkward like Klobuchar. Didn't throw poor blacks in prison. Not a billionaire. Not a Hillary clone. Not fake. No hated penis, not too white. Not impossible to imagine mass enthusiasm for seeing her triumph.

I'm listing non-attributes. I'm giving Tulsi credit for Lacking Negatives. Maybe Democrats were unable to count-that in her favor, because doing-so would require admitting the flaws of the other Dems.

I do think, beyond her initial appeal, Tulsi's a bit lackluster. Similar to how Al Gore was solid but 'boring'.

But Democrats eliminated Tulsi from consideration early, in a "bracket" fashion. But-- side-by-side with candidates who advanced further... it's difficult to say they're better & she's worse.

When I think of how Tulsi was overlooked & shunned... by brain detatches from the train of thought... and coasts to a dead stop. I don't have any next thought, past "Well, that was a mistake."

There is a dark train tunnel ahead, which I don't want to enter. The question of whether Democrats 'deserve' whatever bad things befall them, for that mistake. I can't face-- whether to embrace the spite & laugh at 4 more years of rightwing supreme court justices & GOP gains. Or whether to reject the spite & keep wishing-well to Dem losers who can't be bothered to save themselves from themselves.
My suspicion is that when she first announced she was running, the DNC assumed she was a vanity candidate just trying to raise her national profile and didn't see the need to take her seriously. Probably similar for Mayor Pete, but when he immediately displayed a high level of political talent, he was taken more seriously. Gabbard started off by explicitly distancing herself from identity politics, which won her fans on the center and right, but Democratic Party activists, believing that much of the energy within the party was identity politics based, thought this was divisive and potentially quite harmful to the party's interests. Kamala Harris, on the hand, as top of the progressive stack among the presidential candidates and seen as a likely 2020 ticket participant, was the chosen one. As such, Democratic leadership likely thought it was understood she had a figurative yellow 'no-contact' jersey in the early debates. So when Tulsi mercilessly and fatally speared her in a debate, she became persona non grata.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I don’t know who these people are or why they are here. But they are not Australian.

Fucking Coronavirus is turning the place feral.

https://i.imgur.com/06PmUvs.jpg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Brive1987 wrote: I don’t know who these people are or why they are here. But they are not Australian.

I must be living in a bubble - other than the news and social media, I wouldn't even know there's a "scare" at the moment. I can wander into the local shops, buy a fuck-ton of toilet paper, loads of hand gel and/or anything else that takes my fancy. No shortages, no fighting in the aisles and no masked-up gangs of neurotic panic-buyers.

Someone check my privilege before I say something racist, sexist, homophobic etc.

Cornona virus? Little bitch virus more like...

John D

Post by John D »

Styx is an okay singer...

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

The U.N. are almost beyond parody...

Some of the threads are comedy gold.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: I don’t know who these people are or why they are here. But they are not Australian.

I must be living in a bubble - other than the news and social media, I wouldn't even know there's a "scare" at the moment. I can wander into the local shops, buy a fuck-ton of toilet paper, loads of hand gel and/or anything else that takes my fancy. No shortages, no fighting in the aisles and no masked-up gangs of neurotic panic-buyers.

Someone check my privilege before I say something racist, sexist, homophobic etc.

Yeah. Well we are having a moment here in Sydney. Knives, fist fights, rationing and stripped shelves. Fucking bullshit. This isn’t my country. But Sydney hasn’t been Australian for some time.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

Bhurzum wrote: The U.N. are almost beyond parody...

Some of the threads are comedy gold.
UnWomen are women.

John D

Post by John D »

I am in love with Claire Lehmann... but I think she would find me too old and too short.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Brive1987 wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

Yeah. Well we are having a moment here in Sydney. Knives, fist fights, rationing and stripped shelves. Fucking bullshit. This isn’t my country. But Sydney hasn’t been Australian for some time.
Not everyone is short of toilet paper:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real- ... ae670ecbb3

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Womxn rising. Hear me roar. The future is female. Strong womyn scare weak men.

And then there is this.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/06/us/flori ... index.html
Posters hanging in the restrooms of about a dozen bars and restaurants in Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and Jupiter give instructions to women about alerting bartenders if they're in danger or uncomfortable.

First, order a drink called the "Owl Shot." Then, depending on what's happening, say one of the three coded phrases displayed on the posters. Based on the code, here's how the bartenders will respond:

'Neat': Bar staff will escort you to your car
'On the rocks': Bar staff will call a ride for you
'With lime': Bar staff will call the police
At the practical level, just ponder the efficacy of a putting secret coded phrases in place that fifty percent of the population have the ability to visit. Those secrets did not cross the gender line for at least the first thirty minutes after opening. Likely even before that since the idea came from the local university's student government. I am sure that debate, planning and the actual roll-out occurred with no one hearing a thing. National news coverage just tells the poor misconceived idea to look at the flowers while drawing a sidearm.

Hard for me to imagine a more infantilizing concept. Grown women, old enough to drink, are unable to openly say in a public space that they want a ride or an escort?

free thoughtpolice

Kreegah. Bundolo. Ungowah. Why Whoopi Goldberg try kill Tarzan??

Keating

Post by Keating »

Brive1987 wrote: Yeah. Well we are having a moment here in Sydney. Knives, fist fights, rationing and stripped shelves. Fucking bullshit. This isn’t my country. But Sydney hasn’t been Australian for some time.
Canberra is just as bad at the moment, although we're still WuFlu free. I was living in Poland from '93, just 4 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. This reminds me of shopping there. Some weeks you just couldn't find stuff, so when you did see it, you bought all of it.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Toilet paper, rice, dry pasta, flour, vegetable oil, some canned goods and soaps and hand sanitisers were all unavailable at my usual supermarket.

Driftless

Post by Driftless »

Was just out to haul my trash to the township trash collection site and then continued on to the nearby small town. I stocked up on beer and a few other things, but toilet paper and disinfectants seemed to be at normal levels. There has only been one confirmed case in my state, and that was back in at the beginning of February. More have been testing but all negative so far. So no sign of panic yet.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: I am in love with Claire Lehmann... but I think she would find me too old and too short.
Her husband would find you, too.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Keating wrote: Canberra is just as bad at the moment, although we're still WuFlu free. I was living in Poland from '93, just 4 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union. This reminds me of shopping there. Some weeks you just couldn't find stuff, so when you did see it, you bought all of it.
My neighborhood in Boston in the eighties had a lot of Russian emigres. When toilet paper was on sale, they'd buy hundreds of rolls at a time.

I've wiped my ass with East German TP, so I understood the sentiment.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

HelpingHand wrote: Hard for me to imagine a more infantilizing concept. Grown women, old enough to drink, are unable to openly say in a public space that they want a ride or an escort?
The point isn't to prevent actual predators. The point is to indulge in pearl-clutching. Similar to Stephanie Zvan's 'Whisper Network'.

Meanwhile.... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

https://i.imgur.com/DnL9IB4.png

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Keating wrote: Toilet paper, rice, dry pasta, flour, vegetable oil, some canned goods and soaps and hand sanitisers were all unavailable at my usual supermarket.
Stay off the highways. You'll be fine.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... TnYfEbWnc4