You is all a bunch of poofs!

Old subthreads
screwtape

Re: You is all a bunch of poofs!

Post by screwtape »

Brive1987 wrote: Gary Fettke is one example. He’s an orthopaedic surgeon in Tasmania who got sick of amputations of T2D feet.

He stated criticising carb heavy diet recommendations and crap UPF Meals in his hospitals. He was targeted by the Dieticians association and from them the local medical board. He had to fight for two years to overturn his suspension- and was finally vindicated. His wife was leaked emails from the cereals representative body (intl heads of Kellogg’s etc represented) which had named him and five others to be specially targeted

Since then the pair has campaigned against Adventist “Garden of Eden” diet advocacy and manipulation.

https://isupportgary.com/about
Interesting and all too familiar kind of story. It's symptomatic of one of the biggest problems in medicine, which is easy to identify and hard to fix: how do we choose people to go into the profession and how do we govern them once there?
We have made very silly rules for picking medical students. Some kind of selection must be made when there are 200 seemingly qualified applicants for each place. Choosing the smartest means clever doctors but not necessarily with caring personalities. Choosing the caring ones is far too open to manipulation (I listened to a niece describe how she and other applicants were choosing the most abject out-of-hours activities to buff up their applications - washing the feet of the homeless etc). Bizarrely, the rump of applicants who get in because a parent went to that medical school often turn out the best. At least they knew what they were getting into. Now we are busy lowering the admission bar for certain classes of applicants because we need to prove each class contains the right percentage of people from each ethnic group. That's going to work out well.
And as for governance, the kinds of shenanigans one reads about in the horror-comics sent out by malpractice insurers and the name-and-shame page on the website of each licensing body makes you realise just how badly we have picked the wrong people. And much as I approve of single-payer public healthcare, it alters the relationship between a physician and a patient enormously. A few years of people who feel their visit is free, and thus turn up with trivial and silly demands, will erode that sense of a duty owed to the person who is, in theory, hiring you to do a job. Pick and train your doctors to be technicians, and you find patients being treated like the customers of the mechanics at a lube and brake shop. So then the governance becomes heavy-handed to try to protect what shreds of respect the public might still have for the profession. As you correctly divined, this ends all individuality, inventiveness and out-of-the-box thinking, with a tendency to follow guidelines closely for fear of criticism, and no room for custom tailoring care.

The one thing I do know, being more on the receiving end these days is that I far prefer a smart doctor to a nice doctor. No amount of jovial bonhomie makes up for not knowing what you're about and being willing to make the effort to do it.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: hey I was starting to worry you were in the hoosegow or something. But maybe just enjoying quality family time?
Been kinda busy with a wee project - nothing too exciting, won't bore you with the details.
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: P.S. I am now an apostle of your gun kata, and everyone in our little weekly larking party is now shooting <= 3" groups at 7-12 yards. Except me. But I'm half blind. I am the scourge of clay pigeons, though.
"Training the battle-shot" was always one of my favourite subjects - very simple skills/drills but with practice they make a big difference. Keep it up and before you know it you'll be shooting gnats in the nuts at 100 paces!

Once you've mastered the small arms, I'll introduce you to the delights of FIBUA, OBUA (AKA:FISH & CHIPS. No, seriously!) and route denial! Then again, I think we could both end up in deepest shit if we started talking about the latter... :twisted:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

School Sucks Podcast, episode #660

Good listening, if you want to think about the way the Covid & the Racewar are being used to exert surreptitious social control.

There's someone for everyone-- to disagree with-- such as their charitable reading of Judy "Plandemic" Mikovitz-- as seeming too 'traumatized' to make a coherent critique. But there's all sorts of stuff worth considering.

At around 1hour36min -- the guest talks about the 4 qualities he looks for-- to assess how to engage on controversial topics of discussion:

Curiosity -- Does the other person Want to know about the topic?
Flexibility -- Are they willing to acknowledge More Than two potential 'sides' or explanations for the topic.
Humility -- Can they admit they don't know everything, and might be wrong.
Courage -- Do they have the guts to explore beyond Safe opinions?

I'll add that those qualities could be described as Virtues-- which the not-everyone holds in equal high regard. The 'Rules for Radicals' episodes of the same podcast-- mentioned that pursuit of The Truth for its own sake-- isn't universally regarded as Virtuous-- so you'll get nowhere arguing Facts/Truth/Logic with someone who doesn't-much value those things.

https://schoolsucksproject.com/this-is- ... dcast-660/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bhurzum wrote: and route denial! Then again, I think we could both end up in deepest shit if we started talking about the latter... :twisted:
Route denial can sometimes be overcome by promising to take it out the second she says so.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

So, Dildo Bugger has died, eh?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: ... then we can move on to your assertion -- if I understand it correctly -- that a prevailing "cop culture" of brutality exists, of such severity it requires aggressive and sweeping overhaul of our law enforcement structure. NB: I grant the existence of a minority of LEOs harboring the mentality you describe, as does a reflexive, close-the-ranks behavior to some extent....
I was just listening to Nick Gillespie interview reporter Radley Balko on police misconduct. Balko asserted that it happens so often-- to have become a cliche-- that an officer will report misconduct by other officers... and the only one punished... will be the cop who reported misconduct.

Later, Balko mentions a proposal-- that $ judgements against cops be paid-- not from municipal funds, but from the police pension fund.
I think that might backfire-- encouraging cops to cover-up wrongdoing/ to protect their pensions.

But-- howabout this?-- in cases where an officer is found to have observed-- but not intervened-- against a fellow officer's misconduct: THEN the settlement would come from the police pension.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Service Dog wrote:… the police sent to that Wendy's parking lot come armed with legal powers befitting a dictatorship ruling-over serfs-with-no-rights….

… the citizen's right to fight back right-here-right-now against the fangs which are biting us.
A society allocates the use of force to its police to enforce its laws. In exchange, the citizenry foregoes that role -- which is why civilians with shotguns chasing down suspected wrongdoers is no bueno. The flip side of the equation is, the citizenry acquiesces to complying with the police, and most definitely not forcibly resist. This is a social contract we all tacitly enter into, without which we'd be subjected to bellum omnium contra omnes.
If Rayshard Brooks had meekly allowed himself to be cuffed, the cops would have taken him to be prosecuted by District Attorney Paul Howard.

Based on the way DA Paul Howard is prosecuting Office Rolfe, it's clear that Rayshard Brooks had ZERO hope of being treated fairly by the Justice System.

Brooks took the only route available-- try to fight his way free, make a run for it, don't let the evil machine capture and and eat him:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The public square continues to shrink to a Dem sized postage stamp.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: If Rayshard Brooks had meekly allowed himself to be cuffed, the cops would have taken him to be prosecuted by District Attorney Paul Howard.

Based on the way DA Paul Howard is prosecuting Office Rolfe, it's clear that Rayshard Brooks had ZERO hope of being treated fairly by the Justice System.

Brooks took the only route available-- try to fight his way free, make a run for it, don't let the evil machine capture and and eat him
Don't be ridiculous. The legal system coddled Brooks every step of the way on his long path of violent criminality. He had a rap sheet a yard long, including beating the living shit out of his own daughter, yet they kept releasing him on parole -- and when he'd violate parole, they'd just set him loose again. He'd recently fled to Ohio. That state extradited him back to Georgia, so Georgia just let him loose again.

Some people are just no damned good, and Rayshard Brooks was one of those. My preference would've been to lock him away forever, but the world is a better place now that this piece of shit is in the ground.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Mrs. Butterworth's now on the chopping block lol

From Pinnacle Food's website:
Mrs. Butterworth's® syrup launched in 1961 to a national audience in the distinctive motherly-shaped bottle American kids have grown up with for generations. The talking Mrs. Butterworth's® bottle was named one of the most beloved American spokespeople by Forbes, and her syrup is a family favorite, known for its distinct thick, rich, buttery taste.
The Onion is real life.

https://www.theonion.com/quaker-oats-re ... 1844015205

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The legal system coddled Brooks every step of the way on his long path of violent criminality. He had a rap sheet a yard long, including beating the living shit out of his own daughter, yet they kept releasing him on parole -- and when he'd violate parole, they'd just set him loose again. He'd recently fled to Ohio. That state extradited him back to Georgia ....
Rayshard Brooks was a criminal? Sez who? The same asswipes who are also telling us Officer Rolfe kicked Brooks.
Their credibility is zilch.

I agree with that term you used: bellum omnium contra omnes. The war of all against all.
I agree that's a fucked-up condition, to be avoided.

But-- too late-- we're already there. So what can be done to fix the system? I think it's a mistake to focus on the cases where a 'bad apple' cop commits an atrocity. I think stuff that's usually considered viable standard-operating-procedure... is where the govt parts-ways with the public.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

justinvacula wrote: Mrs. Butterworth's now on the chopping block lol
and Eskimo Pie.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Wow, Stephen Hsu resigns/demoted because he once mentioned IQ to Stefan Molyneux.

That's it, we're living in one of Peezee's wet dreams.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: If we can agree that neither are Police dept's systemically racist, nor are LEOs predominantly racist individuals, then we can move on to your assertion -- if I understand it correctly -- that a prevailing "cop culture" of brutality exists, of such severity it requires aggressive and sweeping overhaul of our law enforcement structure. NB: I grant the existence of a minority of LEOs harboring the mentality you describe, as does a reflexive, close-the-ranks behavior to some extent.
I wouldn't say cop culture includes brutality, though at certain times and places that may be true (perhaps, for instance, in LA under Daryl Gates). To me cop culture includes the things you mention, which are destructive enough, even if only earnestly practiced by the "bad apples". The environment, the job and the training are such that the tendency toward "cop culture" I think is universal. I've seen too many cop videos (yes, that is my source -- how the hell else am I going to learn about cops, read a book?) with their knees on people's necks to think there isn't a unified fount for all of this, maybe the TV show "Cops" I don't know.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Finally society is going to realize how much of an anti immigrant, racist xenophobe Alfred the great was, and we can remove his toxic influence from the public square, where his image and therefore ideas are glorified. We can replace him with figures of true cultural and historical significance like Whitney Houston. Tear it down! tear it down!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Steven Pinker Mr. Peabody on US, Iran history:

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Hunt wrote: "Cop culture" doesn't equate with "the police". A minimal definition would be the fraternal us v. them entitled attitude that they're warrior defending a thin blue line between civilization and crime, that the general populace are sheep that need to be defended and that the methods for doing so give them broad latitude for questionable behavior. Unfortunately a large number of people fall for it and agree.

---

Is this supposed to be an argument against changing cop culture? General contempt for the public, pretentious inflation of their own status, giving themselves the delusion that they're untouchable, is part and parcel with it. I don't see where you're going here. If they're just as bad to whites, then it means they're even-handed?
I provided examples, of poor policing affecting whites that received little or no attention, as evidence that 'systemic racism' among the police is a canard whipped up by emotional reaction to cherry-picked incidents. If we can agree that neither are Police dept's systemically racist, nor are LEOs predominantly racist individuals, then we can move on to your assertion -- if I understand it correctly -- that a prevailing "cop culture" of brutality exists, of such severity it requires aggressive and sweeping overhaul of our law enforcement structure. NB: I grant the existence of a minority of LEOs harboring the mentality you describe, as does a reflexive, close-the-ranks behavior to some extent.

Once again, I will ask for data, not cherry-picked, sensationalized anecdotes, in support of your assertion.
One more thing I should add to the conversation. While it's possible blacks engage in hyperbole re: black subjugation by police, cops are equally likely to overemphasize violence against them. If some cops are ambushed by some nut, then there's a "war against police" and cops are arbitrarily being gunned down. Which, of course, is used as new fodder to justify further militant action. Now, of course, ambushing helpless cops in a car is monstrous by any measure, but let's not lose sight of the fact that each side uses propaganda to distort reality. And let's dispense, finally and forever, with the fallacy that policing is in general a dangerous job, that they're somehow "warriors" sallying forth, once again into the breach. Last I heard, policing has roughly double the average job mortality, so yeah, it's not a "safe" job. My job is probably five times more dangerous than theirs, and you, if you have anything at all to do with livestock and horses, probably have a more ballsy job.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

She’s back.

As a radical centrist.

Maybe you were all correct and she was simply simp-bait.

I like the hair though ....

Paul J Watson has made his feelings known.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Rayshard Brooks was a criminal? Sez who? The same asswipes who are also telling us Officer Rolfe kicked Brooks.
Their credibility is zilch.
The Georgia courts.
brooks_clayton_record.png
(70.77 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
I agree with that term you used: bellum omnium contra omnes. The war of all against all.
I stole it from Hobbes.
calvin_and_hobbes_bff.jpg
(41.71 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
I agree that's a fucked-up condition, to be avoided.

But-- too late-- we're already there. So what can be done to fix the system? I think it's a mistake to focus on the cases where a 'bad apple' cop commits an atrocity. I think stuff that's usually considered viable standard-operating-procedure... is where the govt parts-ways with the public.
I think we've established that you and I disagree on both the severity and the pervasiveness of the problem.

My proximate remedy would be smart increases in police funding -- inter alia, more encounter simulation training, which most forces can't afford, higher salaries coupled with higher admission standards (including more rigorous psych profiling and intelligence tests, Griggs be damned), no more solo patrols.

The ultimate remedy is to reduce criminality among the population, especially in black urban areas, where the majority of violent crime in America occurs. That means busting gangs in the short-term, but also encouraging fundamental change to a subculture where 3/4 of children grow up in fatherless homes, where education is derided, where a work ethic is non-existent.

My utopian fix would be to be to completely transform our schizophrenic court and penal systems. Whereas now, we can't decide whether to deter, punish, or rehabilitate -- and, as our rampant recidivism proves, we rarely achieve any of those -- I believe our primary goal should be to remove from civil society those who are incapable or unwilling to abide by the civil contract. In short, a 'one-strike-you're-out' policy. No set sentences; you're out indefinitely until it's determined you are: a) capable of being rehabilitated, b) have proven you are rehabilitated. Our understanding of human behavior and brain science has dramatically expanded, so psych profiles would sort out the redeemable from the irredeemable, with our penal system would be birfurcated into intensive rehabilitation programs for the former, and holding pens on the latter.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote: I wouldn't say cop culture includes brutality, though at certain times and places that may be true (perhaps, for instance, in LA under Daryl Gates). To me cop culture includes the things you mention, which are destructive enough, even if only earnestly practiced by the "bad apples". The environment, the job and the training are such that the tendency toward "cop culture" I think is universal.
Any group that feels put-upon and threatened will tend to 'circle the wagons'. Even before the current madness, the police experienced the former and unfortunately to some extent engaged in the latter.

I've seen too many cop videos (yes, that is my source -- how the hell else am I going to learn about cops, read a book?) with their knees on people's necks to think there isn't a unified fount for all of this, maybe the TV show "Cops" I don't know.
cf. Shark attacks.

Try looking at the data. An estimated 135 million police-civilian interactions per year, a few hundred civilian deaths per year, but a handful of those not when the civilian was in the midst of committing a crime. If you want to instead compare with complaints, fine -- by any metric, the overwhelming majority of police-civilian interactions are benign or, not to be forgotten, helpful.

To round out your assemblage of video anecdotes, I'd recommend the TV show Live PD, but it just got cancelled.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: The Georgia courts.
Not a reliable source of information. Nor can they be entrusted with your Brave New World-esque utopian powers.

...In 1992, the so-called “Rodney King Riots” decimated much of downtown Atlanta, including the venue of Underground Atlanta which the city (and private industry) had poured millions of dollars into. Although more than 300 rioters were arrested, to my knowledge, none were convicted. Nearly 50 people were injured; some seriously.

With this as a backdrop, four years later, Paul Howard was elected as Fulton County District Attorney. Since I lived in a suburb northwest of Atlanta, I was relatively unaffected. I knew little about him but four years later, after Super Bowl XXXIV, all of us became acquainted with his work.

At about 4 a.m., about six hours after the conclusion of the game, Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis and his posse were tooling around in their limousine when, somehow, they became involved in an argument with another group. Of course, opinions vary as to exactly what happened but at the conclusion of the argument, two men were dead from knife wounds.

To make a long story short, Lewis never faced murder charges and the two members of his posse that were charged in the murders were acquitted. The performance of Howard and his team was so awful that a CNN legal analyst (back when CNN could be believed) compared their performance to the bumbling Inspector Clouseau of the Pink Panther movies, “If they ever wrote a book listing the most inept prosecutions ever, this one will be highlighted as the standard by which all others are to be measured.” Just how inept were they? The trial judge had to admonish one of Howard’s ADAs for not knowing how to conduct a redirect cross-examination!

Evidently, this fiasco did little to diminish Howard’s opinion of himself. During my time in Atlanta, I carpooled with an employee of Georgia’s Department of Pardons and Paroles. One day he had to deliver some legal documents to Howard’s office and saw that, outside of both entrances to the DA’s office were huge portraits of none other than Mr. Howard. (Both done at taxpayer expense, I imagine.)

I left Atlanta nearly ten years ago when I retired and paid little attention to what was going on down there. However, about a month ago, I saw that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation was taking a hard look at Howard because he had evidently appropriated a quarter-million dollars that had been earmarked for crime prevention programs. Howard blithely stated that the money was a “supplement to my salary.” On top of that, he is fighting two sexual harassment complaints that have been filed against him. Still, Howard is running for re-election and, even though he has been forced into a runoff, no one is discounting his chances for another term (his seventh).

Because of this, it came as no surprise to me that Howard had charged Atlanta police officer Garrett Brooks with 11 felonies, including capital murder, in the Rayshard Brooks death. There is no doubt in my mind that Howard sees the prosecution of Brooks as his ticket back into the office that he has become accustomed to. Justice? That’s not the business that Paul Howard is in.

Unfortunately, it will be the citizens of Atlanta, both black and white, who will pay the price for Howard’s incompetence and corruption.
https://ricochet.com/769991/regarding-a ... ul-howard/

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

justinvacula wrote: Mrs. Butterworth's now on the chopping block lol

From Pinnacle Food's website:
Mrs. Butterworth's® syrup launched in 1961 to a national audience in the distinctive motherly-shaped bottle American kids have grown up with for generations. The talking Mrs. Butterworth's® bottle was named one of the most beloved American spokespeople by Forbes, and her syrup is a family favorite, known for its distinct thick, rich, buttery taste.
The Onion is real life.

https://www.theonion.com/quaker-oats-re ... 1844015205
Simpson did that years ago:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

And of course I meant The SimpsonS. Aired on Feb 4, 2001.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice

Brive wrote:
She’s back.

As a radical centrist.
:cry: Once she was found but now she is lost.
At least Faith, as long as she gets pregnant pretty soon with a white baby, ha stuck to her conservative guns.

John D

Post by John D »

So.... here is the deal. It is common for buglers to walk up to suburban houses and knock on the door. If someone answers they present themselves as selling magazines or some such shit. If no one answers they slip around back and pop in through to back door.

This is common enough in my neighborhood that the cops want EVERY solicitor to get a permit at city hall. If they don't have a permit we are told we should call the cops. This guy had no permit. I don't know if permits are needed to campaign in Des Moines but I suspect they are.

So... is this good policing or bad policing? It is at least worth debate.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Matt,
Unless my generations of engineer forebears have led me astray once again in the details of social niceties, I'm going to be the one to tell you that Service Dog has trolled you admirably. He has taken an untenable position at exactly the right moment with a superlatively nuanced tone, such that any troglodytic gun-owning, animal-exploiting (and likely one who eats them too, although not explicitly stated—oh, not necessarily the same species being exploited as the one eaten. No one likes horsemeat!) and law-abiding person might rise to respond. You were the one who did, much to your credit.

I am entirely sure he would want the boys in blue to come to his aid the moment someone breaks into his apartment, or when his well-connected girlfriend calls in her yakuza mates to punish him for his inadequacies which I shall leave undefined being a nice and gentle kind of guy. He writes far too well to actually believe he would be better off without the police. We see and understand his intelligence (some of us might wonder about how such a smart person might have made such life choices, but that will, no doubt, be explained in the second volume of his memoirs), appreciate his writing style, along with the experiences of the meta-world that is New York fashionspace. All well and good.

Now it's time for all animal-exploiting types, and maybe those who simply eat them without much thought, to congratulate SD for his lovely trolldom, and go back to exploiting, shooting accurately, and eating all other kinds of underclasses.

What? WHAT? SD, you don't mean to say you meant any of it?

PS: Who is trolling who, here?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

We can only hope that Dog and his loved ones make it through Independence Day unscathed, when reportedly large numbers of NYPD intend on calling in sick.

And if that still too much resembles a police state his tastes, there's always Chazistan or Galt's Gulch.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: We can only hope that Dog and his loved ones make it through Independence Day unscathed, when reportedly large numbers of NYPD intend on calling in sick.

And if that still too much resembles a police state his tastes, there's always Chazistan or Galt's Gulch.
Do pay attention, 007!

It's Chopland, now, not Chazistan...

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

George Washington statue toppled by protesters in Portland, Oregon

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/protesters ... on-statue/

'racial justice and police reform'

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

screwtape wrote: (some of us might wonder about how such a smart person might have made such life choices
I think my Big 5 personality test scores explain it well enough: I've scored as low as 3 in Conscientiousness.

(Heck, it took me 3 tries to even ~spell~ conteni contiensious --whatever.)
I am entirely sure he would want the boys in blue to come to his aid the moment someone breaks into his apartment, or when his well-connected girlfriend calls in her yakuza mates to punish...
Those aren't hypotheticals. I've experienced break-ins, and police responding to a 'domestic' call. I'd grade police performance: 'Wildly Inconsistent'. Some A's & B's. C-minuses. Some definite F's. I'd rate my own performance as an Auxiliary Cop at... 38%. (That's the rotten tomatoes score for Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol.) Working in bars-- and public events-- with bouncers & private security-- they both rate Way Higher than cops.

If someone breaks into my apartment, my first responders of choice will be the puerto rican felons on the 2nd floor. I'll rely on the police only if I can't think of any better option. Not a glowing endorsement. I blame the way The Game is set-up, not the individual Players.

If there's a 'Defund the DAs & tough-on-crime-Politicians' march... sign me up.
... He writes far too well ...
Flattering, but I think I've done a shit job of articulating my ideas.

Today-- while I biked to Brooklyn to pick-up pills from the veternarian-- I talked to my friend 'BJ' on the phone. Told him about that video above-- showing the black guy in Iowa getting stopped for looking 'suspicious'. I said My Way to solve the problem-- would be to ignore identity politics: I'd focus on whether the cop had 'reasonable suspicion' (or whatever the applicable standard of evidence is) to stop the guy/ and I'd demand the cop be-able to clearly articulate his grounds for making the stop. Or else that cop & that police agency is illegitimate. I said the BLM way-- would be to demand more black cops, and bias/sensitivity training for the cops. I said my way works and the BLM way is nonsense. I utterly failed to convince BJ. He was firm: 'do both'.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Speaking of Yakuza-- I've heard some crazy tales of their dispute resolution methods.

Back in the 80's, one young guy liked a servant-- a young cleaning lady or waitress. So the boss tells her to marry him. Later bride comes to the boss & says groom beats her. Boss says 'don't call the police', I'll take care of it. He orders other guys to beat the groom up. Boss goes to bride & says-- I found a better guy for you-- marry this one. She does. 40 years later-- bride & the 2nd husband come to nyc to pay respects to the elderly, retired boss & his wife. She was in tears to see them so old and weak. She thanked them many times for giving her a good life. 2nd husband was kind & became wealthy.

I'm not saying that system is superior to ours. But the upside of wielding feudal powers-- beyond what we grant our authorities-- is having the capacity to engineer better-outcomes --at least occasionally.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Service Dog wrote: Speaking of Yakuza-- I've heard some crazy tales of their dispute resolution methods.

Back in the 80's, one young guy liked a servant-- a young cleaning lady or waitress. So the boss tells her to marry him. Later bride comes to the boss & says groom beats her. Boss says 'don't call the police', I'll take care of it. He orders other guys to beat the groom up. Boss goes to bride & says-- I found a better guy for you-- marry this one. She does. 40 years later-- bride & the 2nd husband come to nyc to pay respects to the elderly, retired boss & his wife. She was in tears to see them so old and weak. She thanked them many times for giving her a good life. 2nd husband was kind & became wealthy.

I'm not saying that system is superior to ours. But the upside of wielding feudal powers-- beyond what we grant our authorities-- is having the capacity to engineer better-outcomes --at least occasionally.
Godfather 4? Better see if Al Pacino is still available.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

The bell has tolled for Warren Ellis. I think it's bullshit. This is being driven by Katie West, who has deleted her original claim.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Katie West self-identifies as a 'socialist queer sex worker' so she's absolutely part of the crowd that, in the words of Waingro, does not have a truth telling style.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Sulman wrote: The bell has tolled for Warren Ellis. I think it's bullshit. This is being driven by Katie West, who has deleted her original claim.

Warren Ellis is guilty of writing that drippy apology. A crime against humanity.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The last few nights, there's been strings of firecrackers, sounding-like a dozen gun shots. And individual-- or double-- booms. Deeper, llke "M-80"s.

Same in Bushwick Brooklyn & the Bronx, I'm told. Not so unusual, as July 4 approaches. But obviously evoking police and demonstrators shooting. Instigators from either-side could find it useful to jolt people awake, alert with fear.

For years, I've reacted to possible-gunfire sounds-- by counting the pops. As if I'm taking-note, to be a witness for some investigation.

Inadvertently, this habit also serves as calming, dissociative mediation-- like counting breaths.

Tonight we reached the start of Season 3 of Battlestar Galactica. The humans live like refugees on a grey inhospitable planet. They suffer pneumonia, short on medicine. They're prisoners of a Cylon occupation force. President Gaius Balthar is a treasonous clown. The Cylons bicker internally, too-- the first 'cylon on cylon' crime has been committed. The Cylons recruit a human police force-- collaborators to crack-down on the violently-disobedient humans. The human resistance suicide-bombs the human cops.

I paused the sci-fi show... feeling certain that today's toy-racewar will generate acts of terrorist-style violence. I can imagine that most of the antifa-types are 98-pound weaklings who don't know how to change a tire... so they're incapable of making their tuff talk real. But I can't imagine the entire throng of BLM sympathizers is lacking the will + capacity to fashion themselves into a revolutionary-cell do terror-attack stuff. Also-- the same lone gunman massh-shooter types who wrote 4chan incel pepe 'accelerationist' manifestos last year--can easily parrot BLM rhetoric, this year.

There was already that BLM cop-killer guy in Dallas in 2016. That LAPD Dorner shooting spree in 2013. The "I am Antifa" member of the radical Puget Sound John Brown Gun Club-- who shot up the ICE facility last July. (His antifa gun club has been patroling in CHAZ).

A couple real bombs or shoot-em-ups... and the letters BLM would be like PLO or ISIS. Not so safe for corporate sponsorship or college girl t-shirts.

=

The anti-Cylon insurgents on teevee-- got me wondering what it would take for me to go fight in the streets. I don't like BLM & I don't like cops-- the obvious choice is to :popcorn: . At-most... examine the situation for opportunities to express my own agenda.

Long ago I was that 'Red Dawn' kid who wore a lot of army-surplus store camo & had a crappy 'Rambo' knife from the state fair & obsessed over Survivalist magazines. I'm nowhere-near revisiting that phase.

=
I do have a catchphrase to offer the anti-BLM side: NO RACE WAR! All Lives Matter! Brand BLM as the race-war shit-starters they are.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Now Junipero Serra statues are coming down in northern and southern California. There's one version of it that I've fantasized about destroying for years. I've driven past this abomination for decades:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/ab/1f ... 821c16.jpg

To punish yourself further, google "Father Serra Crystal Springs Reservoir". This thing isn't going to come down with a rope and bunch of protesters. It's going to take a backhoe or some dynamite. Hopefully it's only stucco on a framework and not solid.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

One dead, eleven injured-- in an exchange of gunfire last night, in Minneapolis.

The Fluevog shoe store was breached.

Examining the crime scene & complete-absence of looting,

detectives have concluded the altercation consisted entirely of actual black people

and no radical intersectional white-ally agitators:

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

CNN cancels Barak Obama for being the Greatest Practicing Racist 2009-2017 :

"'Am I racist?' You may not like the answer
It doesn't matter if you voted for Obama
"If you bring Mother Teresa out of the grave and put her in charge of any criminal justice system in any state," [Wornie Reed, activist and scholar] says, "she would be -- unless she changed the system -- the greatest practicing racist in the state."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/20/us/racis ... index.html

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Al Jazeera: according to expert, black americans "easily" qualify for political asylum:

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opini ... 52933.html

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Hunt wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56 pm
Now Junipero Serra statues are coming down in northern and southern California. There's one version of it that I've fantasized about destroying for years. I've driven past this abomination for decades:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d7/ab/1f ... 821c16.jpg

To punish yourself further, google "Father Serra Crystal Springs Reservoir". This thing isn't going to come down with a rope and bunch of protesters. It's going to take a backhoe or some dynamite. Hopefully it's only stucco on a framework and not solid.
Well, I did as you suggested and I saw this :

Protest updates: SF Archbishop outraged after Junipero Serra statue pulled down
San Francisco Archbishop Salvadore Cordileone criticized the pulling down of the Junipero Serra statue in Golden Gate Park.

“What is happening to our society? A renewed national movement to heal memories and correct the injustices of racism and police brutality in our country has been hijacked by some into a movement of violence, looting and vandalism,” he said in a statement Saturday night.

Serra was an 18th century Roman Catholic priest who founded nine of California’s 21 Spanish missions and is credited with bringing Roman Catholicism to the Western United States.

Serra forced Native Americans to stay at those missions after they were converted or face brutal punishment. His statues have been defaced in California for several years by people who said he destroyed tribes and their culture.
Nonetheless, I suspect this statue at Crystal Springs Reservoir may be safe for awhile due to factors that may preclude "spontaneity" such as travel requirements.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My new protest slogan is "Nine Lives Matter", in honor of both the whopping, intolerable nine unarmed blacks [including seven definite criminals] killed by police last year, and the insignificant nine innocent blacks [including a three year old] killed last night in Chicago.

I'm working on a symbol for my movement too. [It's not a triangle] Here's my first rough sketch:

Nine_Lives_Matter.jpg
(15.48 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

While you're at it-- help re-brand Aunt Jemima. Look at the 'image' of black people portrayed by that brand:

https://i.4pcdn.org/pol/1592425686613s.jpg

All images of blacks in advertising and movies and media should reflect actual black people, as they portray themselves.

https://i0.wp.com/eurweb.com/wp-content ... -twerk.jpg

https://img1.yna.co.kr/photo/etc/epa/20 ... 848_P2.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3-ueV6WAAUP16b.jpg

https://cdn.cienradios.com/wp-content/u ... 00x266.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: While you're at it-- help re-brand Aunt Jemima.
Piece of cake.

Jemima.jpg
(39.36 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

“I don’t know how to argue in America anymore, or whether it’s even worth it....

"The new mode is argument by commandment: It borrows the form to game the discourse of rational argumentation in order to issue moral commandments.… Marrying the technical nomenclature of rational proof to the soaring eschatology of the sermon, it releases adherents from the normal bounds of reason… In possession of justice, the arguer-commander is free at any moment to throw off the cloak of reason and proclaim you a bigot—racist, sexist, transphobe—who must be fired from your job and socially shunned….

“Because of the way it toggles back and forth between rationalism and religiosity, switching categories by taking recourse to one when the other is questioned, the new form of argument-commandment, rather than invalidating itself or foundering on its own contradictions, becomes, somehow, rhetorically invincible....

"The new argumentation has not only vastly expanded the number of subjects that are supposed to be beyond argumentation, it has, by a sleight of hand, reversed the nature of the matters that cannot be questioned. Now, it is precisely the most contentious issues—is biological sex a valid concept? Is racism and abuse so widespread in American law enforcement that we should immediately defund the police?—that must be accepted a priori....

"It is the opposite of any form of reasoned argument. It is coercive.... But how does one argue with this new form of truth? Not in the old way. Not by taking the bait."

https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news ... m-religion

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

Local rag had a guest opinion piece from an African American college student. In the piece he recounts the horror of growing up in a racist country and relates two anecdotes that will "forever sit with him."

1. Little League. Only time for one more at bat and he and this other kid were the last ones who had not yet batted the final round. The other kid's parent made a big stink and his kid got the at bat. Little league parents.

2. 2nd grade. Class all drew pictures of what they wanted to be when they grew up. He drew himself playing in the NBA. Teacher privately told him later that everyone wants to be a pro baller, the odds are low and you should think about something else. Man, 2nd grade, let the kid have his dream.

With that being the bar for memorable injustice, I now think back on my childhood. Holy shit. I had no idea I was so oppressed.

No small parallels to the #metoo expansion of what constitutes rape to include minor events that only dilute the meaning of the word rape. Or the overuse of fascist as a pejorative. Perspective and nuance is gone. Everything must be the worstest ever.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: "Nine Lives Matter", in honor of both the whopping, intolerable nine unarmed blacks [including seven definite criminals] killed by police last year
Are you sure that's the number of unarmed black "killed" by police last year? Or is that the number shot-dead?
Are there additional unarmed blacks who were killed by cops, apart from shootings?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Can we pay reparations with statues? The mob can then decide whether they're so-motivated by high ideals-- that they still want to destroy the statues.

Or else--
maybe they'll decide to sell the statues to the highest bidder & pocket the money & let the big bad statues keep being so big & bad.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I don't condone, but I can _comprehend_, destroying a statue which glorifies a racist.

That's a net gain: one less racist statue.

But... if you build an effigy of a racist cop, and then lynch the effigy...

That's plus one, minus one = net zero.

And if you ~lynch~ the effigy... to protest police _methods_. The symbolism is kinda screwy: you're replicating the method/ attacking the guy.

And if you put a pig mask on the effigy before lynching it... then you're not lynching a statue which glorifies racism/ you're lynching one which condemns racism. A guy in a cop uniform in a pig mask in a noose. That's a double negative -- on top of two more layers.
I disapprove! I say we must burn all lynched statues of pig-masked cop-uniformed humans!

Or, wait, maybe the pig mask isn't redundant. Maybe it's a refutation of the 'ACAB' 'All Cops Are Bastards' slogan. Only _some_ cops are pigs.

or or or

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mock-lynching ... d=71379362

free thoughtpolice

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

The Lincoln Project-- the inner monologue of every pink pussy hat Karen's cuck husband.

free thoughtpolice

Service Dog wrote:
The Lincoln Project-- the inner monologue of every pink pussy hat Karen's cuck husband
:lol: Clearly the Atwater style define your opponent advertising at the Lincoln Project is working.
First the denial- These tactics can't work.
Second the anger- How dare they say this, they are pussies and cucks
Next the acceptance-What was I thinking? Trump isn't the brave iconoclast that will pwn the libtards into submission. He fooled me just like the marks that paid to attend his "University", I guess I will just stay home on Nov. 3.
You'll come around dog. :P

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

free thoughtpolice wrote: What was I thinking? Trump isn't the brave iconoclast that will pwn the libtards into submission. He fooled me just like the marks that paid to attend his "University", I guess I will just stay home on Nov. 3.
Oh, I've been at Stage 3 for quite some time.

The one saving grace of the Trump administration-- is Kellyanne Conway. I still trust and admire her.
Lincoln Project should go-after her next.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: "Nine Lives Matter", in honor of both the whopping, intolerable nine unarmed blacks [including seven definite criminals] killed by police last year
Are you sure that's the number of unarmed black "killed" by police last year? Or is that the number shot-dead?
Are there additional unarmed blacks who were killed by cops, apart from shootings?
How about you track down those stats?

free thoughtpolice

Service Dog wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote: What was I thinking? Trump isn't the brave iconoclast that will pwn the libtards into submission. He fooled me just like the marks that paid to attend his "University", I guess I will just stay home on Nov. 3.
Oh, I've been at Stage 3 for quite some time.

The one saving grace of the Trump administration-- is Kellyanne Conway. I still trust and admire her.
Lincoln Project should go-after her next.
The George-Kellyanne-Donald relationship is a deep mystery to me.
Maybe Trump wants to fire her because of her hubby but is afraid she will write a tell all book, maybe he really trusts her and thinks she is doing a good job?
As for George and Kellyanne trying to figure out the dynamics at work that is past my pay grade. I understand that pre-Kellyanne George was courting Laura Ingraham so I can safely say I can't understand his taste in women.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: How about you track down those stats?
I gave it half-assed shot, before I posted my previous reply to you.

Plenty of dead-ends, like this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... -database/

Another one only covers 812 cases in 17 states over a handful of years, but at least it breaks down the deaths into interesting categories...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... objectonly
Primary cause of fatal injury:
 Firearm 760 (93.6)
 Motor vehicle 11 (1.4)
 Personal weapons (e.g., fist) 10 (1.2)
 Blunt/sharp instrument 9 (1.1)
 Suffocation/strangulation 3 (0.4)
 Fall 2 (0.3)
 Other/unknown 16 (2.0)
=

Your '9 Lives' point dovetails with my opinion-- I think the high-profile deaths are a sideshow, overblown, a distraction from the vast assortment of daily police excesses.

But I do think it will strengthen your case-- to not mistake 9 shootings for the total annual number of police _killings_ of unarmed people.