Back to Conspiratoria

free thoughtpolice

Re: Back to Conspiratoria

Post by free thoughtpolice »

AndrewV69 wrote: Breaking news :

Darya Dugina has been assassinated. Suspicion is that the intended target was her father Aleksandr Dugin.

Daughter of Russian philosopher Alexander Dugin killed in car explosion
Darya Dugina’s car explodes on highway in Moscow

Her father wanted Russia to go "from Dublin to Vladivostok", labeled Ukrainians as less than human, and advocated their genocide. Dugina held the same views and worked as a propagandist to further them.
Too bad they didn't kill Dugin too. At least he gets a taste of the grief he has helped spread to many thousands in Ukraine.

John D

Post by John D »

Haha. What a strange and wonderful life. Haha. Dr. Birx on "Face the Nation" says all the bad advice was not her fault.... it was because the "system" didn't give her the right data. Haha. Does she only read the data from her organization?... fucking idiot bureaucrat.

We survived our NYC trip and my wife had a great time. My highlight was seeing the Kandinsky collection at the Guggenheim. My ladies loved all the shows and I just enjoyed the production and singing quality. Third wave feminism is a fucking curse.

My daughter and I at least agree that the FBI should be disbanded. Haha. So that is progress. Of course, she thinks capitalism will die in the next ten years. Haha. My daughter is strangely naïve.

I am the planner in my family. I make sure my ADD laden bitches get to where they need to. They hate me for it. They bitch and whine that I push them to focus and stay on schedule. I am proud of my work during our trip. We made it to all our shows and all the bitches stayed fed. I managed all the transportation and poured money over the whole process to make it work. My ladies had a great time. That was the goal.

My wife will probably be more than handicapped on Wednesday... I think she will be an invalid. Running this trip was my duty and we knocked it out of the park. Possibly our last big trip.

I had to mentally process a lot last night before I finally could sleep. I pushed my bitches around to make sure everything worked during our trip. I knew it would be a real disaster if we missed our flight home. I got the girls on track and had firmly secured transit to the airport. We had to travel 45 minutes through NYC, secure a wheelchair, check-in, get through security. Lots of ways for things to go wrong. So, my bias was to assume something would go wrong. Add a bit of extra time just in case. Well, as it turned out, everything went perfectly. Traffic was light, we got a wheel chair immediately, We had a great kid push the wheelchair, we were first in line at security. Everything was perfect, so we had an hour to wait before the flight.... and what happens?... my wife bitches at me that we left too early for the airport. Jesus fucking Christ. Haha. Then she bitched at me because I tipped the wheel chair pusher $20 which she though was too much. Fuck. I am just a caregiver right now.

So, here we go. So happy I could treat the whole family to a NYC frolic. I paid for everything and even treated my favorite niece to a show and dinner. This is when money comes in handy. I will eventually get caught up on the $10,000 bill... haha.

But, I am filled with dread. I don't know how things will come out with my wife's surgery on Wednesday. Whatever comes out... I am in for the result. I will do my duty. I just hope I can care for my wife while still working for the next 5 years. I don't know how to navigate the best outcome. Perhaps I can get a full time nurse for her while I keep working. Maybe I can handle her needs and work at the same time.

So. This is my latest rant. It really helps me to just write this down for you all. It helps me organize my thoughts and feelings. youall do help with your advice.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: she thinks capitalism will die in the next ten years. Haha. My daughter is strangely naïve.
Or prescient. That is the plan.

I am the planner in my family. I make sure my ADD laden bitches get to where they need to. They hate me for it. They bitch and whine that I push them to focus and stay on schedule.
As they say, "Women hold up half the World." The other half being men, waiting for their bitches to be done in the bathroom.

So. This is my latest rant. It really helps me to just write this down for you all. It helps me organize my thoughts and feelings. youall do help with your advice.
Hang in there, brat.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Service Dog wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:15 pm
To me-- it makes perfect sense that Tucker regrets his cheerleading role in the post-911 invasion of Iraq... and so he's (rightly or wrongly) erring on the side of Not repeating that mistake. Similar to Tulsi Gabbard joining the military in-response to 9/11, eventually concluding that her idealism had been exploited. The war-profiteers have a loud voice & plenty of platform at the NYTimes, etc. So let them sell their own damn wars. And call them out when their propaganda is plain-old lowest-common-denom mind-control. (Such as making Zelensky the new Cuomo-sexual Fauci Fever hearthrob.)
I would buy that from your standard populist fringe nobody, not from a supposed political and social commentator with pretentions of objectivity. The appropiate response for someone in his role to being stung by the lies of the powerful is to be twice as diligent, not to jump to the opposite position. I find when watching him that I'l be nodding along in complete agreement as he lists the chaotic events unfolding in the world, the obvious complicity of politicians in causing those events and then he'll hit a very jarring note when he states plainly as fact some conclusion which is nothing more than an assertion. To me there's a "I've got a bridge to sell you if you don't believe..." implied and I generally don't buy it. I no longer accept him as an objective truth seeker, I see him more and more as someone trying to support his prejudices. The fact that he is prejudiced against so many things which are genuinely awry doesn't make him truly honest. Gabbard is sounding more and more like a parrot with the "regime change wars" line. She works that into everything. I lost a lot of trust in her with some of the things she has had to say about Ukraine which betray a lack of knowledge of the politics. God knows there have been some problems with Ukrainian democracy, but the porttrayal of the situation as one of an authoritarian crackdown on political opposition misunderstands the reality of who the state has acted against and why. The trouble with letting the warmongers "sell their own damn wars" is that there is a tendency for people to get very contrarian and assume that if the establishment is in favour of supporting Ukraine then it must be a corrupt cause. This wouldn't be a problen in itself if it weren't true that there has been a long standing and somewhat successful disinformation campaign run by the Russians to undermine the legitimacy of the Ukrainian cause. There are a lot of people, even supporters of Ukraine, who believe many myths about recent history.

ThreeFlangedJavis

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:13 am

Darya Dugina has been assassinated. Suspicion is that the intended target was her father Aleksandr Dugin.

Her father wanted Russia to go "from Dublin to Vladivostok", labeled Ukrainians as less than human, and advocated their genocide. Dugina held the same views and worked as a propagandist to further them.
Too bad they didn't kill Dugin too. At least he gets a taste of the grief he has helped spread to many thousands in Ukraine.
Dugin is a self-aggrandising troll. I hear he was mildly popular in academia and the halls of power for a brief period but any influence he had waned long ago. I suspect he has sweet FA to do with what is happening in Ukraine. Westerner's take him seriously.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Westerners do not take him seriously, they are just looking for hate figure to wave in front of people. From what I recall he is associated with a view of foreign police that is presented as an alternative to the western one. The western model insists on imposing rainbow flags on it's clients. The proposed Russian model is some kind of federation that doesn't give a shit about how you run your country. There is also some notion of great and small powers based on large cultural blocks that go with that.

It's like freaking out over some prominent NYT op ed writer who the President had made a favourable comment about once or something. Would it be worth assassinating Maggie Haberman?

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
John D wrote: she thinks capitalism will die in the next ten years. Haha. My daughter is strangely naïve.
Or prescient. That is the plan.
Depends what you mean by capitalism.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Yes I saw that.

As to why this happened ... I have some ideas ... but I am not confident in them.

I was completely surprised and shocked a few years ago to learn that both Russia and Ukraine had openly neo-Nazi groups.

You would think that people would learn from history ... and this was recent history ... but nope.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Anyway,

Shows how much I know and/or understand about those people. Anything I have to say about them should be taken with a large burlap sack of salt.

I am on much firmer ground with the Chechen people (if you have one for a neighbor, move and move now)

free thoughtpolice

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:13 am

Dugin is a self-aggrandising troll. I hear he was mildly popular in academia and the halls of power for a brief period but any influence he had waned long ago. I suspect he has sweet FA to do with what is happening in Ukraine. Westerner's take him seriously.
He did not go to zero influence. His Eurasianism thing is policy of Putin's Russia. He coined the name Novorussiya for the land Russia stole in the Ukraine east. His daughter was following in his footsteps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Dugin

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I would buy that from your standard populist fringe nobody, not from a supposed political and social commentator with pretensions of objectivity. The appropriate response for someone in his role to being stung by the lies of the powerful is to be twice as diligent, not to jump to the opposite position.
Hmmm... maybe if I lived in South Africa or the Amazon Rainforest or Iceland... I could look at Russia vs. Ukraine as an isolated problem... and draw the same conclusions as you.

But, from my USA standpoint, that seems like intentionally covering one eye, to artificially simplify the problem.

I think the US is still ruled by the same villains (and the same bad-ideas & institutions) which misled us into so many previous foreign policy and war debacles.

Our own house is not in order-- and so-- if we go superhero-ing out to save the world-- the same botched outcomes will only keep repeating.

And if the cause is noble-- that won't save us from our flaws. It only amplifies the tragedy of our failure.

I agree that... when Tucker hits a wrong note (and he frequently does) it's nauseating. And-- yes-- he is _also_ playing partisan politics, not pure not-take-a-side journalism.

But, like I said, I think his premise is sound-- if the scope of his views is understood-to-be centered on the US. Reform starts at home.

Whether the Current Thing is so urgent that we should follow the same corrupt leaders who mislead us before... and hope this-time turns out better... is a valid question. But I don't think there's one clear answer either-way.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

892868_u7bpfflki24nb5c_full.jpeg
(187.47 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

fuzzy wrote: 892868_u7bpfflki24nb5c_full.jpeg
I'd love to give her a direct hit with my weapon of ass destruction!

I'll get my NBC suit...

Keating

Post by Keating »

Eh, I've never understood the appeal. Melania is okay, but she's not my type. Always felt weird about the Scarlett Johansson appeal too. Give me Anne Hathaway any day.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

fafnir wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:31 am
Now they have Steersman arguing with d4m10n while a crowd sub-pharyngula trolls look on.
I couldn't think of a more fitting fate for d4m10n or people that are still talking about skepticism in the year of our Lord 2022.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

I'm glad to hear the New York trip went well John. Keep us updated.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I watched the first 26 minutes of Attorney Andrew Branca (Law of Self Defense) reacting to the Vegas Stabby Clerk video.

15 of those minutes were warming-up, before getting to the point. As I expected, Branca does not see a legal justification for the stabbings.

I would prefer to defer to his expertise. However... Branca gets several facts wrong. If he were a prosecutor & these were his opening arguments... he left room for the defense attorney to say his analysis was based on false assumptions.

1. Branca states there were only 2 robbers. There were 3. The third one held the front door open so the clerk could not activate the remote lock. The clerk said the 3rd robber holding the door open was the detail which alerted him to an imminent robbery.

2. Branca overlooks the _matching_ masks worn by the robbers. Which Defense could cite to invoke Nevada's legal definition of felony "gang" crime. (Branca says he sees no felony.) During the scuffle, the one who got stabbed said "It wasn't my idea!"... an admission of coordination & leadership.

3. Re-watching the video-- I noticed that the Tip Jar Robber made a move to the far right of the screen... drawing Clerk's attention... and that opportunity triggered the other robber to jump over the counter... behind the Clerk. Clerk reacted by picking-up the knife & shifting his attention to the fast-moving Counter Jumper. To do so... Clerk had to turn his back on Tip Jar. (Before Tip Jar then fled). The reason this is significant-- is that Branca says the Clerk was not in "Reasonable Fear" of great bodily injury to himself. Especially as the Jumper's back was turned to Clerk at the moment of stabbing.

However... by splitting the Clerk's attention 2-ways... they forced the Clerk to turn HIS back on either Tip Jar or Jumper.

Defense could argue that 2 robbers positioning-themselves so-that their victim cannot keep his eyes on both... creates a reasonable fear of Attack-From-Behind doing Great Bodily Harm. I haven't researched this... but I'm certain this has been successfully argued before. (Perhaps even in the Ahmaud Arbury case... where the 3 rednecks surrounded the black jogger.)

I'm not sayin' Branca's legal theory wouldn't prevail over mine. But I can't comfortably defer to his expertise... because he-- like so many others-- emphasizes the default aspects of a generic robbery somewhat-like this one... rather-than the exculpatory details unique to this case.

https://rumble.com/v1f7bvv-vegas-clerk- ... fense.html

John D

Post by John D »

John D

Post by John D »

Let's think about the "Four Horsemen"... shall we?

Dawkins: While he had a good idea about "memes" he has become completely irrelevant. I have not heard from him in years. I guess I don't know what to think. He had his moment, but he really just contributed a bit of an idea.... the concept that an idea can have a popular mental acceptance. But, what has come about in the last ten years? Nothing but a bunch of leftists claiming he is a sexist... haha.

Hitchens: Yeah... he was fun to watch, but in my opinion he was wrong about the topic of religion. Religion does not poison everything... not in the sense that it should be destroyed. The problem with this argument is that everyone seams to replace traditional religion with a new secular religion. Everyone fills in the "god-shaped hole" with something... and the new stuff may not be better than the old stuff.

Harris: WOW! So he claims we can "think" our way to morality. Haha. He has proven through his own words how this doesn't work. He is a compete idiot these days.

Dennett: This guy got it right in my opinion. I remember him clearly saying that we can try to get rid of religion but we will not like what it is replaced by. Props to Dennett.

John D

Post by John D »

Service Dog wrote: I watched the first 26 minutes of Attorney Andrew Branca (Law of Self Defense) reacting to the Vegas Stabby Clerk video.
It is not about the law. It is about politics.

If the local prosecutor thinks they will get more votes by prosecuting... this guy is pretty well fucked. If the prosecutor will get more votes for not prosecuting, then this guy's life is spared.

It will be very easy to convince a jury that the store owner attacked the robber just to protect his property (and was not afraid for his life and limb). He would need a very sympathetic jury to save his ass. Now... if I was on the jury I would acquit... but most lawyers would not let me on a jury... haha.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

fuzzy wrote: 892868_u7bpfflki24nb5c_full.jpeg
Simpsons South Park already did it.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote: Let's think about the "Four Horsemen"... shall we?

Dawkins: While he had a good idea about "memes" he has become completely irrelevant. I have not heard from him in years. I guess I don't know what to think. He had his moment, but he really just contributed a bit of an idea.... the concept that an idea can have a popular mental acceptance. But, what has come about in the last ten years? Nothing but a bunch of leftists claiming he is a sexist... haha.

Hitchens: Yeah... he was fun to watch, but in my opinion he was wrong about the topic of religion. Religion does not poison everything... not in the sense that it should be destroyed. The problem with this argument is that everyone seams to replace traditional religion with a new secular religion. Everyone fills in the "god-shaped hole" with something... and the new stuff may not be better than the old stuff.

Harris: WOW! So he claims we can "think" our way to morality. Haha. He has proven through his own words how this doesn't work. He is a compete idiot these days.

Dennett: This guy got it right in my opinion. I remember him clearly saying that we can try to get rid of religion but we will not like what it is replaced by. Props to Dennett.
I had din-dins with Dawkins once at the famous café on St Michael's Hill in Bristol, which was used in Richard Gregory's paper on the illusion of converging lines in a Münsterberg figure. He was a very genial dinner companion.

It was while I was president of the Student Chemical Society at Brizzle U. around 1980.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Some sunshine to alleviate the deleterious effects of all the nasty bad-faith arguing going on between certain people who really need to ignore each other and move on rather than continuing to sling hatred under the guise of "debate".
IMG_4503-8x10 SDG-LUM FINAL-Small.jpg
(926.3 KiB) Downloaded 195 times

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma wrote: the Student Chemical Society at Brizzle U.
That sounds like a hot-bed of booze, birds and bat-shit shenanigans.

(no offence)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Keating wrote: Eh, I've never understood the appeal. Melania is okay, but she's not my type. Always felt weird about the Scarlett Johansson appeal too. Give me Anne Hathaway any day.
Melania is very leggy with fake tits. I'm sure she's also had work on her face. But for a Slobakian call girl, she ain't bad.

Scar Jo's muy caliente imo. Just watch UNDER THE SKIN. She was also really cute as an eleven-year-old in THE HORSE WHISPERER. And, although I'm not a Minor Attracted Person myself, I totally empathize with why someone with that totally normal sexual identity might really really want to be intimate with a cute eleven-year-old but honestly swear to God and hope to appear before Judge Jumanji Jackson Brown if caught never ever act on those desires. Unless she obviously wants it.

Anne Hathaway isn't as good looking as she looks. But for someone who died in 1623, she ain't bad. To fully appreciate her charms, watch LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS.

John D

Post by John D »

Harris in incoherent. Haha... He even says he doesn't disagree with Trump's policies necessarily... but that Trump is basically evil in everyway... and capable of anything.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dawkins: His presentation of neo-darwinism for lay consumption was very valuable. He also had some novel concepts of his own. (Memes, btw, was not originally his -- which he acknowledges.)
As for atheism, The God Delusion sold 19 million copies, every one of them to an ardent atheist. Since, his time has been mostly wasted on either further preaching to the choir, or naive attempts engage in honest debate with dishonest SJWs who have no intention of debating any part of their dogma.

Hitchens: Just a brilliant mind all around, and even when I've disagreed with him, his arguments have informed me. His essays on abortion, Mother Teresa, the Clintons, and Osama bin Laden are especially illuminating.
Regarding atheism, I think he chose to focus on rebutting the claim that religion is a net good. Though I do believe certain religions can be less bad than certain other secular options.

Harris: I thought he made a sound, first principles, philosophical argument in The Moral Landscape, and was properly hard-line against Islam. But now it's clear he's an arrogant, pontificating dickhead who's done too many hallucinogens.

Dennett: I tried reading Dennett. I tried reading about Dennett's writings. I still have no fucking clue what he's talking about. TBH, I suspect most other folks have no clue, either, but got made a horseman cuz The Three Atheist Amigos™ didn't rate well in the focus groups.

At the end of the day, any atheist evangelism will sputter and fail. Cuz atheism isn't something you adopt, it's the null state left after you desist in belief.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John D wrote: Trump is [...] capable of anything.
Not according to Stormy Daniels.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I just heard Harris complain that overturning Roe was entirely a function of the Catholic Justices' catholicism. Which is an utterly ignorant knee-jerk reaction.

ThreeFlangedJavis

He did not go to zero influence. His Eurasianism thing is policy of Putin's Russia. He coined the name Novorussiya for the land Russia stole in the Ukraine east. His daughter was following in his footsteps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksandr_Dugin
[/quote]

The Russian sources I've read disagree that Dugin is influential. He is by no means the only "philosopher" with a Eurasianist bent.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Service Dog wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:58 pm
Hmmm... maybe if I lived in South Africa or the Amazon Rainforest or Iceland... I could look at Russia vs. Ukraine as an isolated problem... and draw the same conclusions as you.

But, from my USA standpoint, that seems like intentionally covering one eye, to artificially simplify the problem.
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
But, like I said, I think his premise is sound-- if the scope of his views is understood-to-be centered on the US. Reform starts at home.
The Russia Ukraine war is a distinct event involving actors with their own motivations that have nothing to do with the USA aside from the fact that one of those actors is an avowed enemy of the USA. You do not have to trust the motivations of American politicians to evaluate the situation and come to a conclusion as to the moral case for supplying weapons. America can reform to it's heart's content, but the global environment it exists in is going to change regardless, and not for the better, while it navel-gazes. The majority of South Africans, if anything, are even more prone to drawing over the top conclusions about American adventurism and tangling up the fate of Ukraine with their dislike of America.

fafnir

Post by fafnir »

John D wrote: Harris in incoherent. Haha... He even says he doesn't disagree with Trump's policies necessarily... but that Trump is basically evil in everyway... and capable of anything.

Think of it like this, you are nobleman in a medieval court discussing some foreign pretender who was briefly able to seize the throne. He is your enemy. He is a tyrant. Whether his taxes may have been more or less burdensome to the peasants, his legal reforms just, or the fortifications he put up in coastal towns competently done doesn't really enter in to it. Your king is put their by God Himself, this pretender is necessarily of the Devil, else he would not have seized the throne from the rightful king.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

John D wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:38 am
Dawkins: His opinions re: atheism were always embarrassing, whereas I'd say The Selfish Gene is required reading. Not as an evolution explainer, but as an extremely lucid case for how Darwin's concepts govern pretty much everything and the biological (or non-biological) particulars don't matter as much. Not to oversell it, but I don't think you can really understand the world without reading this or absorbing its ideas from other sources.

Hitchens: Whatever faults the man had he always made me laugh, and watching him run rhetorical circles around debate opponents who really couldn't see they had no moral high ground was fantastic. He had a great love of irony which Harris and Dawkins could use a hell of a lot more of. Taken from us too soon (though not surprising given his lifestyle), it would have been amazing to see him butting heads with the woke.

Harris: Don't do drugs, kids...

Dennett: One of my all time favorites. I think you're right that he was the only one who probably understood religion can't be eliminated (you could tell Hitchens sort of got it too when he referred to North Korea as "the most religious country" he'd ever observed). I enjoyed reading his takes on consciousness more than I ever did listening to him talk about the non-existence of God.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

The brilliance of Dennett was getting out of the armchair and learning enough about other fields he could usually come up with real world examples in favor of thought experiments, the crutch philosophers so often rely on. His story about students universally calling out Searle's Chinese Room thought experiment as a terrible metaphor after they learn a little bit about computer programming always resonated.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

jet_lagg wrote: Let's think about the "Four Horsemen"... shall we?
[/quote]

I like to imagine P.Z. Myers twitching every time the Four Horsemen are mentioned. Like a "spider sense" but for arseholes.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdve5 ... o1_400.gif

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Quote fail, edit button, rat's cock.

Also, I quite liked listening to Dawkins and found him quite entertaining.

But Hitch was the man! Hitch was rock 'n' roll atheism.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Random thought: is Phil still kicking around? Not heard from him in aaaaages...the garlic reeking gimp.

Keating

Post by Keating »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Anne Hathaway isn't as good looking as she looks. But for someone who died in 1623, she ain't bad. To fully appreciate her charms, watch LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS.
Yes, there are two good reasons to watch Love And Other Drugs.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Bhurzum wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:50 pm
Random thought: is Phil still kicking around? Not heard from him in aaaaages...the garlic reeking gimp.
The last time I spoke to "I accidentally a verb" Phil outside the SlymePit he said that he had moved on.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Harris told Triggernometry that Trump is "sui generis". And also Alex Jones is identical-to "sui generis" Trump. And all of Trump's supporters are ALSO Uniquely The Worst.

Add to that all the devout followers of Islam... "the motherlode of all bad ideas", according to Sam...

71 million voters here... a billion muzzies there... that's gonna add-up to some serious numbers, eventually.

Ben Affleck is starting to look like the calm sane one, in that old Bill Maher episode.

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: America can reform to it's heart's content, but the global environment it exists in is going to change regardless, and not for the better, while it navel-gazes.
You are correct. And yet, I stand by my point. I think that Gad Saad clip above put it well... about the constant barrage of "existential emergencies" which Americans have-been subjected-to, and sacrifice our principles-for... NOT justifying "any means necessary".

We've been prodded & forced-- to march in lockstep with the Party Line on Covid, the "hero" nurses & bully teachers-unions, on Orange Man "Sui Generis" Bad, on all the woke agendas, and old stuff, like Vietnam. I think saying "no more!" & opting-out Until Things Improve is a potent & legitimate choice.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Service Dog wrote: Harris told Triggernometry that Trump is "sui generis".
I recall a roundtable that included Harris and Brett Weinstein. I forget now which one of those two said, "Trump was just the murder weapon." Harris either said it or nodded in agreement. (Or, as I put it, Trump was a symptom, not a cause.)

And all of Trump's supporters are ALSO Uniquely The Worst.
This one I remember who said it:

free thoughtpolice

Gumby wrote: Some sunshine to alleviate the deleterious effects of all the nasty bad-faith arguing going on between certain people who really need to ignore each other and move on rather than continuing to sling hatred under the guise of "debate".

IMG_4503-8x10 SDG-LUM FINAL-Small.jpg
I agree. Here is a happy flower picture:
DSCN2036 (2).JPG
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 126 times

free thoughtpolice

And we had a cool custom car parade yesterday:
DSCN2102 (2).JPG
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 121 times

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Dugina's [alleged] murderer identified.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... a-assassin
Attachments
vovk.jpg
(21.8 KiB) Downloaded 112 times

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Tens of millions of Americans see things this-way:

I think Michael Malice genuinely sees the world differently than anyone-else. Sometimes his vision is incorrect & screwy. But sometimes he can see around corners.

In this conversation, he's thinking-ahead... to "what happens if Trump is arrested?" Malice might be right, might be wrong. But it may be a question the DOJ, FBI, & Trump's courtroom foes-- are failing to even-ask, before they leap:

John D

Post by John D »

fucking hell. Glad I have enough money to live in my boring and beautiful suburb and can visit NYC by staying in Times Square. And if a bunch of punks started beating old people here we would just gun them down. I really don’t understand the world. So strange. A punk that bashes an old lady gets to face the sidewalk temperature challenge. I do not understand the morality of some people.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I'm listening to Pete Quinones react to Sam Harris: "This guy is a sociopath. Listen to what he's saying, and the tone of his voice saying it."

Haw! I love it. Sam Harris's "meditation" is the cold-blooded snake no-inner-monologue of a human vacuum.

"Free will does not exist" says the solid-state American Psycho robot.

Howabout Dawkins?... probably just autistic.

Hitchens, in retrospect, is an unsung Transgender martyr. The early death, self-inflicted. They hysterical woman routine. Stunning and brave all the way.

Dennett's fine, tho. Just a harmless Necrophiliac. Neighbors said he was quiet, never bothered anybody, kept to himself.

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

Service Dog wrote: Dawkins?... probably just autistic.
He said recently that the use of psychedelic drugs would not enable you to examine your own DNA structure.

Which sounds pretty dismissive of peoples lived experience...and therefore would qualify him as 'just autistic' in the current (post?) modern sense.

Basement

Post by Basement »

John D wrote:
Four? EXCUSE ME! The 5th and greatest self appointed fifth horseman, one PZ MEYERS ring a bell?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Basement wrote: PZ MEYERS
A fake beard, a fedora, a wrinkled trench coat, and 2 sickly Make-A-Wish kids stacked-up... trying to sneak-in to the peep show.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Service Dog wrote:
Basement wrote: PZ MEYERS
I like to think of the horseman as the four legs of a horse, and who ever heard of a five-legged horse?
fifthleg.png
(658.44 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

MarcusAu

Post by MarcusAu »

John D wrote: ..."Four Horsemen".
Probably inevitable that there would be push back to religion given the context of the times.

Still things could have been worse.

Keating

Post by Keating »

To be honest, I preferred those horsemen than famine, conquest, war and death that have arrived since then,

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Basement wrote:
John D wrote:
Four? EXCUSE ME! The 5th and greatest self appointed fifth horseman, one PZ MEYERS ring a bell?
I remember watching a video of Hitchens where he introduced Meyers and doing an actual double take at the screen. That man is a real cautionary tale. He could have had a cushy gig coasting along in the shadow of his betters forever if he'd checked his ego at the door.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

My comment about Harris was snarky, but honestly I never understood the appeal even during the heyday. He was always going on about how free will didn't exist that once we realized people behave the way they behave because of things outside of their control we'd... change our behavior.

Just... what???

John D

Post by John D »

Harris - Haha... super funny and crazy.

Harris wrote a short book (which I read) called "Lying". Here he laid out the idea that a person should never promote any kind of deception. He was 100% clear that any kind of deception is to be fully avoided. Even Santa Clause was a bad idea. No Santa for the kids. This, he considered a bad idea.

In the mean time he wants there to be a conspiracy of lies to avoid Trump's election.

What a cosmic twat. Really. Wow.... just wow.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

John D wrote: Harris wrote a short book (which I read) called "Lying
I have a faint recollection of that.

I don't remember the circumstances... it may have been that my ex had fallen-into the habit of avoiding minor confrontations by telling poorly-designed lies... which created more conflict than biting-the-bullet would have.

So I turned-to Sam Harris's "Lying" pamphlet for aid... and I found that he had tackled the subject from such an abstract/ or narrow/ or academic perspective (I don't recall which)... that his argument was little-more-than a tautology... not helpful for practical use.

Seeking to jog my memory, I searched to see if I had ever mentioned that book on the 'pyt.

And I found this tidbit. Funny how we've circled back around:

The screenshot refers-to an incident... when Sam Harris had recited his talking-points in-favor of Profiling muslims as terrorists.

PZ Myers responded with an uncharitable strawman paraphrase of Harris's words... making it seem as-if Sam Harris had used "Jerry Seinfeld" and "Osama Bin Laden" as the examples of two people who should not-be-treated-equally at an airport security checkpoint.

Glenn Greenwald accepted PZ's version as a reliable quote... and then Cenk Ugyur retweeted Greenwald.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=444&p=307377#p307375

what dumb mess

--

My search also retrieved an old post by Kirbmarc, with this video... in-which Sam Harris directs his same-old Modus Operandi at The Left and Muzzies.

Matter-of-fact sociopath voice + claiming he's responding to a uniquely urgent threat... until the next uniquely urgent cat-toy grabs his attention.

The Left!

no...

wait...

Muslims!

I didn't listen to the paywalled "Locals" version of the Triggernometry interview... in-which Harris talks-about Covid, but I'm curious how Sam's views on Muslim Women Forced To Wear Veils lines-up-with Sam's views on Covid Mask Mandates.

John D

Post by John D »

Honestly.... I am thinking... if meditation and LSD did this to Sam Harris, then I may rethink my plans. WTF?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I must conclude that Sam Harris is, and has always been, a complete dickhead, only I first encountered him while he was saying a few things I happened to agree with.