Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
Mykeru

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by Mykeru »

ATTENTION FLYING MONKEYS: QUOTE MINING OPPORTUNITY.
JackRayner wrote: Several months later, after we ended up having a one-night stand, she started accusing me of having used PUA mind tricks to get her into bed. The fact is that all that was involved was a liter and a half of wine in my system, half a liter in hers, and her being extra flirty with me. [I think I've mentioned this story before. It was very traumatic. :violin: ] The level at which I currently employ "PUA tricks" are; believing physical beauty is common, indifference, and assuming that women are attracted. If these things are "mind tricks", [on anyone other than myself] then some of the men I know are fucking Jedi Masters!
Dude, you're a RAPIST.

*high five*
AKAHorace wrote:Seriously though, I think that PZ has restarted this charade to energize his base. These guys need someone to pile onto and fewer people are naive enough to waste time trying to reason with them. So he has not had anyone to ban for a while, the tone is getting tepid, they miss tearing in to someone and so are forced to pick a fight with Oolon (who seems a nice enough guy).
Makes sense, if only because the Ministry of Truth's attempt to make A Voice for Men the official enemy back-fired in such a wonderful fashion. Not only did they get various video LULZ launched at them, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that if you link (or coyly don't like The Peez) to AVfM promising people that this is the very festering hive of misogyny and chest-thumping male privilege and people actually take a look, they are going to be disappointed.

I haven't spent too much time in the new forum there, but there has been a notable increase in people on YouTube and elsewhere noting that "Hey, you guys have a better opinion of women than FTB" Which is true. And an actual misogynist just isn't going to get the sort of feedback they crave.

No one denies there's injustice and that people suffer, but great monolithic forces that explain everything? That's nuts. Reality is infinitely more complex. Patriarchy theory, like The Bible and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are explanations for idiots, or bigots or both. It's not a zero-sum Us vs Them. We are all in this together and, very often, this sucks for everyone.

In any case, the Athiplus people are fundamentalists and fundamentalists need an enemy. The more narrowly defined, if entirely fictional, the better. In fact, if your social cohesion is based on continuous battles against the forces of whatever, then the more fictional the enemy, the better. You can't defeat a figment of the imagination and so the necessary state of constant conflict is assured.

As Atheism Plus goes into its death throes, and people bail out leaving a smaller, harder core of crazy, they are invariably going to get louder and subject to a lot more angry thrashing about.

Which is, of course, totally my idea of a good time.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

SN isn't lesbian & more into men, if I remember right. Did have a go at lesbian rad fem separatism shit before it was cool though.

What is wrong with having MRA points of view? There's a lot of fucking overlap on equality between MRAs and feminists.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

rayshul wrote:SN isn't lesbian & more into men, if I remember right. Did have a go at lesbian rad fem separatism shit before it was cool though.

What is wrong with having MRA points of view? There's a lot of fucking overlap on equality between MRAs and feminists.
1. MRA bad

2. Equity Feminist bad

So sayeth The Lawgiver.

http://www.cooltoyreview.com/Sideshow/P ... header.jpg

3. Slymepit Bad, because they say things like "P.Z. Meyers is such a dried up husk of a human being, when he jerks off he blows smoke rings from his urethra". Or, at least I just did.

4. I Bad.

soldierwhy

Post by soldierwhy »

SteveW68 wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
I am a serving British soldier and if you think 'salty language' as despised by the FtB crowd is the sign of the end times I urge you not to even consider visiting a site like http://www.arrse.co.uk/naafi-bar-27. I reckon RW and OB would have apoplexy over there.
Greetings!!! Ex Squaddie myself. What do you think they would make of a group of guys playing "Freckles"? (to the un-initiated - Freckles involves 2 plates and a helping of human excrement placed in between them with a drunken group of HMFinest sitting around it with the plate at eye level. The plates are rapidly pushed together - the guy with the most freckles gets the round in.)
Hello Steve, it's certainly been a while since Freckles was in my repertoir - I blame all that cheap German lager!

The FtB mob seem to be flinging enough shit around anyway.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I've probably lost a retina just being exposed to that yellow stuff at the bottomof the page. Potentialy just me though, don't mind.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guest wrote:I disagree, mostly because I have a strong dislike of armchair psychology or whatever it is in the second last paragraph.
As I do not understand humans on an instinctive level the way I do animals, that was me speaking for myself and no one else. Apologies if it was not clear.

To me, a feminist would not have selected that image to depect any woman, no matter how repugnant she may be on a personal level.
Guest wrote: That said, I think it's just further evidence of two things: a) that there are obvious double standards when it comes to criticism of women. An insinuative image like that here would be branded as misogynistic, but because they "are on the right team" they get a pass. See: the Laden situation; and b) for PZ, criticism of religion and religious fanatics trumps any sense of humanism that the A+ community worship. Because Bachmann is a Republican, hardcore religious politician ie. fucking scumbag piece of shit fuckface fucker asshole dickhe-...oops sorry that last one is vile and offensive, my bad :roll: , the fact that she is a woman who deserves to be respected to the same degree as others in the A+ movement seemingly goes out the window. "But look at how awful a person she is! It's not misogynistic to lambast this woman! Why? Because she deserves it! She's one of those cultish freaks! Look, she's anti-gay and pro-life!"
Double standards from the baboon board are pretty common and is pretty trivial to find. So is "othering" people to subhuman categorys.

(Note that the text makes it clear what the implications of the image are. I will leave it to you to work out what sort of mentality that represents).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I've probably lost a retina just being exposed to that yellow stuff at the bottomof the page. Potentialy just me though, don't mind.
Your wish is my command, O Philippe...

Now #ffff66.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Hey fuckwits from pzzzzzzzland. Someone left a message here for you

[youtube]X3Hg-Y7MugU[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I see Oolon is pulling a Dillahunty. People told him over and over what PZ was like but he couldn't remove his tongue from his idol's arse long enough to listen. Now that he has finally been placed in the oh-so-scary "dungeon" Oolon decides a blogpost is needed adressing the unfairness of it all.
Big fucking WOW Oolon. PZ acted like a cock to you and you were treated unfairly. Who would ever have guessed it?
Just who do you think your blogpost is benefiting. other than yourself? We all know what PZ Pissflap is like and his acolytes won't listen to a word you say until the same thing happens to them. It's about time you got with the program.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

From Oolon's blog: "} I’m actually concerned about PZ, I’ve never seen comments garbled on Pharyngula – even the horrible racists and homophobes… Why not just delete if me saying effectively the above but in shorter form is that offensive? This is strange behaviour…"

Jesus, Oolon. How many times have you been told that this sort of shit is commonplace at Pharyngula? Garbling the comments of detractors has been going on since the Ark set out yet you didn't give a fuck before and chose to ignore it when people told you it happened. I wonder why that was? Why the big change of heart? Why should anyone care now that it's happening to you?

Post by Guest »

AndrewV69 wrote:As I do not understand humans on an instinctive level the way I do animals, that was me speaking for myself and no one else. Apologies if it was not clear.

To me, a feminist would not have selected that image to depect any woman, no matter how repugnant she may be on a personal level.

Double standards from the baboon board are pretty common and is pretty trivial to find. So is "othering" people to subhuman categorys.

(Note that the text makes it clear what the implications of the image are. I will leave it to you to work out what sort of mentality that represents).
Yeah, nah I didn't think you were, I just thought it was drawing too long a bow. I now see it in a different light considering your second paragraph, the one that's bolded, which I very much agree with. There's so little self-awareness there, it's fucking amazing. When they read these boards I'm sure they scoff at what I've just said, but I swear to god anyone with half a brain can see how dogmatic they are for a self-proclaimed bunch of skeptics. Which makes comments like this one (from 'Well, I won't do that again') extra amusing, it's almost like some meta-irony or something:
Jesus fucking Christ in a donut hole. I read some of the posts. I mean, damn, but they patent that deadly combination of smug superiority, cluelessness, and lack of self-awareness.
:lol:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

FTR: I know it's not much but I just used the Amazon link to pay for my latest episode of Big Bang Theory. I feel kinda good now :D

oolon, slimy turd

Post by oolon, slimy turd »

Tony Parsehole wrote: I wonder why that was? Why the big change of heart? Why should anyone care now that it's happening to you?
Big change of heart? I'm glad its normal behaviour I was starting to think I'd actually annoyed him in some new way... Don't particularly want to annoy or upset PZ so I doubt I'll be joining the Slymepit FtB-gossip factory just yet. Did you miss the bit at the end of my blog post ->

... I’d be in danger of joining the Slymepit to moan about how awful all the FtBs lot are. [joke: I don't think I could muster that much butthurt about a banning no matter how unjustified the reasons are ]

Inaction Man

Post by Inaction Man »

New poster here...

Thanks to PZ linking to this site I have just spent an amusing half hour reading this thread and thought I'd register instead of just lurk. Like many who have PZ's blog at FTB bookmarked, I have gone from liking his stuff to going "meh". As for that horde of his, well I'd rather post on an Answers in Genesis forum than dip my toe into that crowd of uptight preciousness. Lots of lols there atm though regarding PZ getting all butt-hurt about oolon and this terrible, terrible forum. ;)

At least FTB put me onto Al's blog, so when he left I gladly followed him to his new (old) site; I hope Al really is posting here now too btw. :-)

I may not post much here (or I might) as I'm new to the Slyme and still need to get a feel for the place, but let me just say it's refreshing to to see you can speak your mind here and not get hammered by groupthink.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Mykeru wrote:ATTENTION FLYING MONKEYS: QUOTE MINING OPPORTUNITY.
JackRayner wrote: Several months later, after we ended up having a one-night stand, she started accusing me of having used PUA mind tricks to get her into bed. The fact is that all that was involved was a liter and a half of wine in my system, half a liter in hers, and her being extra flirty with me. [I think I've mentioned this story before. It was very traumatic. :violin: ] The level at which I currently employ "PUA tricks" are; believing physical beauty is common, indifference, and assuming that women are attracted. If these things are "mind tricks", [on anyone other than myself] then some of the men I know are fucking Jedi Masters!
Dude, you're a RAPIST.

*high five*

Dammit! I forgot that the CDC labels any intercourse in which the woman involved has had a drop of alcohol as rape! [Nevermind that she fed me 3x what she herself drank...]

Well, I guess I'm gonna to turn myself in to the Ministry of Love for reeducation and rehabilitation, since I am officially a Misogynist. Goodbye, Slymepit. It was nice knowing you. :cry:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

oolon, slimy turd wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: I wonder why that was? Why the big change of heart? Why should anyone care now that it's happening to you?
Big change of heart? I'm glad its normal behaviour I was starting to think I'd actually annoyed him in some new way... Don't particularly want to annoy or upset PZ so I doubt I'll be joining the Slymepit FtB-gossip factory just yet. Did you miss the bit at the end of my blog post ->

... I’d be in danger of joining the Slymepit to moan about how awful all the FtBs lot are. [joke: I don't think I could muster that much butthurt about a banning no matter how unjustified the reasons are ]
Yeah right. You couldn't muster enough "butthurt" to join the slymepit (strange, I though you already had joined. You post every day...) or moan about FTB, yet you seemed to be bothered enough to write that blogpost moaning about the injustice of it all.

Yep, no butthurt whatsoever here folks. Just Oolon lying through his back teeth again.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Inaction Man wrote:New poster here...

Thanks to PZ linking to this site I have just spent an amusing half hour reading this thread and thought I'd register instead of just lurk. Like many who have PZ's blog at FTB bookmarked, I have gone from liking his stuff to going "meh". As for that horde of his, well I'd rather post on an Answers in Genesis forum than dip my toe into that crowd of uptight preciousness. Lots of lols there atm though regarding PZ getting all butt-hurt about oolon and this terrible, terrible forum. ;)

At least FTB put me onto Al's blog, so when he left I gladly followed him to his new (old) site; I hope Al really is posting here now too btw. :-)

I may not post much here (or I might) as I'm new to the Slyme and still need to get a feel for the place, but let me just say it's refreshing to to see you can speak your mind here and not get hammered by groupthink.
Hi there :) I used to love reading PZ's blog. The past few months I've noticed it's become less skeptical and scientific and more self-serving and placating. He's kowtowing to so many in the A+ and uber feminist realm, it makes me kinda sick to my stomach. Welcome to the Pit!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Oolon hasn't taken the official entrance exam, evidenced by his refusal to admit to wheter he likes fishsticks. By oolon's reasoning he is therefore not a pitter.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

JackRayner wrote: Well, I guess I'm gonna to go turn myself in to the Ministry of Love for reeducation and rehabilitation, since I am officially a Misogynist. Goodbye, Slymepit. It was nice knowing you. :cry:
Obviously a rapist, with the way I've been violating the language today... :|

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Za-zen wrote:Oolon hasn't taken the official entrance exam, evidenced by his refusal to admit to wheter he likes fishsticks. By oolon's reasoning he is therefore not a pitter.
At this moment, my kids would officially love you for the "fishsticks" comment. :D

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

JackRayner wrote:
JackRayner wrote: Well, I guess I'm gonna to go turn myself in to the Ministry of Love for reeducation and rehabilitation, since I am officially a Misogynist. Goodbye, Slymepit. It was nice knowing you. :cry:
Obviously a rapist, with the way I've been violating the language today... :|
Wait, what did I miss? How is JackRayner a misogynist (one of my least favorite words lately since very few people understand it's true meaning)?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Welcome! I'm still new, too, but the people make you feel welcome quick.

Maybe that's why PZ doesn't like linking to the Pit - people might actually visit and like it. The Streisand effect and all that.

Also, oh, yes, this place is one of the spots where you can discuss what's going on without getting shitcanned. It's still amusing to me that Ophelia Benson says she can mod and ban people on her blog at her leisure, but whines about it when people do it to her on other blogs. It's that kind of hypocrisy that's rampant over at FTB / A+theism.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Oolon hasn't taken the official entrance exam, evidenced by his refusal to admit to wheter he likes fishsticks. By oolon's reasoning he is therefore not a pitter.
At this moment, my kids would officially love you for the "fishsticks" comment. :D
Fishfingers and custard!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Damn it...its...not it's.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

ReneeHendricks wrote: Wait, what did I miss? How is JackRayner a misogynist (one of my least favorite words lately since very few people understand it's true meaning)?
Just a stream a crazy:
JackRayner wrote:
Dude, you're a RAPIST.

*high five*

Dammit! I forgot that the CDC labels any intercourse in which the woman involved has had a drop of alcohol as rape! [Nevermind that she fed me 3x what she herself drank...]

Well, I guess I'm gonna to turn myself in to the Ministry of Love for reeducation and rehabilitation, since I am officially a Misogynist. Goodbye, Slymepit. It was nice knowing you. :cry:

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Fishfingers and custard!
Ok, now I officially love you as that's a different reference :D

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

JackRayner wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: Wait, what did I miss? How is JackRayner a misogynist (one of my least favorite words lately since very few people understand it's true meaning)?
Just a stream a crazy:
JackRayner wrote:
Dude, you're a RAPIST.

*high five*

Ahhh! Ok, I get it now. Sigh. Yeah...that just screams "I hate women". Feh.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

PZ used to be a good fighter in the war against religion.
But something happened.
Whatever it was, it set him on a course that resulted in him leaving skepticism far behind.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RiHzJekGHcY/U ... ocnow2.jpg

The horror!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote:Oh yes. There are a LOT of those. It seems there is a lot of money to be made in selling "success with women" to men. And some of it is kind of creepy too. The NLP [Neural Language Processing] brand of PUArtistry creeps me the fuck out. Just the idea though, I'm not entirely sure that it works.

I've gotten into trouble by mentioning some of my knowledge of pick up to the women I know, too. There was one friend that I recommended recommended OKCupid to. She returned with stories about some of the ways that men initiated conversations on there, so I started giving her some of my thoughts on the subject, and eventually let her know about pick-up, and how it affected my perception of the whole dating thing.

Several months later, after we ended up having a one-night stand, she started accusing me of having used PUA mind tricks to get her into bed. The fact is that all that was involved was a liter and a half of wine in my system, half a liter in hers, and her being extra flirty with me. [I think I've mentioned this story before. It was very traumatic. :violin: ] The level at which I currently employ "PUA tricks" are; believing physical beauty is common, indifference, and assuming that women are attracted. If these things are "mind tricks", [on anyone other than myself] then some of the men I know are fucking Jedi Masters!
I had to look it up but I believe the proper term is Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP). I would be interested in why you think it is creepy seeing that as far as I can see sales/marketing people appear to employ aspects of it extensively.

So you are a "natural" PUA *shrug*. Stuff like this is useful to people like me who would be completely clueless about what is going on without it.

BTW, the fact that she drank wine before the sex is according to the radfems rape. And not just in Sweden either my man. Apparently on an American campus and increasingly everywhere, you are a rapist (and you wish I am joking but I am not).

Apparently the thing to do to avoid a false rape charge is to get her to text you a "great sex last night" kind of thing so if she has buyer's remorse later you have proof of consent.

oolon, slimy turd

Post by oolon, slimy turd »

Sure I like fishsticks, who doesn't. They taste rreaalll good in your mouth, all salty and warm. Hmmm I can imagine a big one in there right now!

... Happy now?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Lurkers we are currently in interlude mode, that explains why you think the pit isn't the evil den of sin that your preachers told you it was. Like catholic school boys when told by their priests that masturbation would make them blind, ran home and immeadiately tested the proposition.

We'll get back to being woman hating scum in a jiffy.

Oolon's still scratching his head over the question humanity has attempted to answer since the dawn of self aware land creatures. If you're kids get it, i assume they already have access to our backchannel? If not we'll hack their system tonight and leave the password in an encrypted file. The key to which is the answer to the lock.

welch

Post by welch »

real horrorshow wrote:Strangeness abounds:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8080 ... 021053.jpg

"Classless"? Isn't that a good thing? Or does xit* mean it in a 'not enough class' way? In which case: PeeZus Christ Classism!

However in spite of our being 'classless' and other bad things, xit says we're 'right about atheism', which more than makes up for it to me. Did xit mean that? Or was it an error? Thirteen posts later and no-one's questioned it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8052/8080 ... 8d5046.jpg

Scenty is a lesbian? Alright, it's by the wittily titled 'Hallucinating Liar', but I don't recall Scenty ever saying so here.

On the upside Scenty, this guy:
Improbable Joe
12 October 2012 at 4:11 pm

… has anyone ever seen Scented Nectar and S.E. Cupp in the same room at the same time? Hmmmm…
Thinks you look like this woman.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8080 ... 29fe07.jpg

If he'd claimed you shared her opinions, I'd have thought it was offensive, but like a good feminist, he only mentions appearances. So you can pass for 33. Not bad eh? (Scenty mentioned recently that her 50th is coming up)

*I can't remember how these genderless pronouns work, so I'm making them up as I go.
So on that first one...wouldn't a stopped clock be right once per time zone? (I use military time, so there's no "twice" and it's a stopped clock. A broken clock could in fact never be correct.)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Oolon you disgusting slyme, how did you resist yoour base desire to submit to the darkside for so long

Inaction Man

Post by Inaction Man »

Dick Strawkins wrote:PZ used to be a good fighter in the war against religion.
But something happened.
Whatever it was, it set him on a course that resulted in him leaving skepticism far behind.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RiHzJekGHcY/U ... ocnow2.jpg

The horror!
Thanks for the welcome people.

lols at the poster, Dick.

I guess part of PZ's problem is that he's now so busy jetting off to all parts of the globe, the day to day ant-religious stuff at FTB has taken a hit. Often there's not much on there except a quick-fill "why I'm an atheist", or an insufficiently researched post. Or even a guest blogger (get yer own site!).

But yeah, the Atheism+ also seems to have him playing the holier than though role (ironic, for an atheist blog).

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

real horrorshow wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:When I first encountered the above image for me it was a genuine WTF? moment. At that point I came to the conclusion that PeeZuss was not a feminist, he was just posing as one.
Mykeru wrote:I don't object to the over-use of "misogyny", I object to its use at all. You have to be a special kind of asshole to have a pathological hatred of women. The problem that MRAs have with the word is that it takes a special kind of asshole to accuse someone of being a misogynist for proposing the radical notion that women are adults.
Brownian
12 October 2012 at 10:49 am
It seems they think that any male who buys into all that “women are people too” crap have never had sex.

It’s PUA thinking. They need the trope of the beta male to see themselves as alphas.

That’s right boys, we’re all AFCs* over here, stuck in the ‘friend’ zone. Gosh, high school is like totally the worst. [Pines for the cool girl totally out of his league.]

*Average Frustrated Chump. Actual PUA term.
It puzzles me that so many of the adult women among the Baboons have no suspicions about the males they're hanging about with. They are, or claim to be, paranoid about men in general to an absolutely ludicrous degree. Yet they have no problems with those who parade the line: "Yes Mistress, I am unworthy, a mere potential rapist, unfit even to be your toilet slave."

If you have two possible interpretations of what a person says:
1. They have a contempt for their own gender which amounts mental illness.
2. They're lying. (Maybe just to you, maybe to themselves too.)
It's worth giving at least some consideration to theory 2.

Brownian mentions PUAs. I don't know that much about them. (Since expending time, money and effort getting stupid neurotic women into bed doesn't interest me.) But I know this: Among campus bed-post-notchers fembots are often a target. As I once heard it expressed: "If you can stay up 'til three in the morning agreeing with everything they say, they'll probably have sex with you."
Does this mean that the FftB males are "chill guys" who only act that way to get laid with the alpha females?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I don't understand why anyone would invite him to talk on anything atheism related. His "call to arms" stuff seems more like a crazed preacher. Do weeee have any social justice in the houuuuuuuseeeee!??! REPENT YOUR MISOGYNISTIC WAYYYYYSSS.

Maybe I am just one of those awkward people who dislikes being told to shout/sing in meetings.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

There's someone called BaconNutellaFiend?

Are you the INTERNET?

Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

Inaction Man wrote: I guess part of PZ's problem is that he's now so busy jetting off to all parts of the globe, the day to day ant-religious stuff at FTB has taken a hit. Often there's not much on there except a quick-fill "why I'm an atheist", or an insufficiently researched post. Or even a guest blogger (get yer own site!).
But what really matters is: How long will he be able to keep hammering that twenty and thirtysomething pussy that should be more of a challenge for an assistant professor?
But yeah, the Atheism+ also seems to have him playing the holier than though role (ironic, for an atheist blog).
Identity politics will to that to the best of us. .

..and to the likes of PZ as well!

Oh, by the way, this is my "hello forum" part of the post. Should I post on the other side of the street until you guys get to know me? Schrodinger's Feminist and all that. I'd understand really. I don't want to emotionally scar anyone and make them blog at length.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Even the Chyme Pit regulars get pissed off with Janine. She's the female NerdofRedhead: yapping like a fucking Chihuahua with a firework up its asshole, while not really understanding what is going on.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Pitchguest wrote:

Welcome! I'm still new, too, but the people make you feel welcome quick.

Maybe that's why PZ doesn't like linking to the Pit - people might actually visit and like it. The Streisand effect and all that.

Also, oh, yes, this place is one of the spots where you can discuss what's going on without getting shitcanned. It's still amusing to me that Ophelia Benson says she can mod and ban people on her blog at her leisure, but whines about it when people do it to her on other blogs. It's that kind of hypocrisy that's rampant over at FTB / A+theism.
PZ doesn't link to things like this site for the same reason the discovery institute doesn't - he knows his lies and hyperbolic rhetoric will be shown for what they are. He (and others) follow other practices of the IDiots such as banning, editing, censoring, etc.

I think oolon has to bow before a statue of Abbie first, then kick a woman in the privates (see Nanny Offal, we can use the word less than you can!). Then dance naked widdershins around an effigy of Watson, all the while offering coffee to it.

Or was that just me that did that?

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

rayshul wrote:There's someone called BaconNutellaFiend?

Are you the INTERNET?
Yes, but only on Caturdays.

Overused memes aside, I joined up a few days ago after the nipple-stiffening awesomeness of CuriousGate spread across my FailBook and Twatter feeds. I kept hearing such horrible things about the Pit that I had to check it out (Really, it's like 4chan? Which board?).

So far I'm hooked and can't stop coming back.

I'll relurk now.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Quick note - not sure if anyone else gets the "Ardent Atheist" podcast, but I went and bought the premium package ($10 for the whole 90-odd minutes instead of the free 60 minute, ironically after hearing the episode on rape jokes and Daniel Tosh), but they did one from TAM that is hilarious, including a few songs, and one song about Elevatorgate. That was episode 75. Just thought I'd recommend it to everyone.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

aeryk wrote:For those of you who missed the amusing exchange between Al Stefanelli and Natalie Reed yesterday:
http://skepdirt.wordpress.com/2012/10/1 ... e-nagging/

Can't win with these people eh?
Skepdirt got one bit wrong. Natalie does not have a vagina. She might have a plastic one in her happy army collection though.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I see Oolon is pulling a Dillahunty. People told him over and over what PZ was like but he couldn't remove his tongue from his idol's arse long enough to listen. Now that he has finally been placed in the oh-so-scary "dungeon" Oolon decides a blogpost is needed adressing the unfairness of it all.
Big fucking WOW Oolon. PZ acted like a cock to you and you were treated unfairly. Who would ever have guessed it?
Just who do you think your blogpost is benefiting. other than yourself? We all know what PZ Pissflap is like and his acolytes won't listen to a word you say until the same thing happens to them. It's about time you got with the program.
You forgot the Social Justice Warrior Standard: "It's okay, except when it happens to us".

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
aeryk wrote:For those of you who missed the amusing exchange between Al Stefanelli and Natalie Reed yesterday:

Skepdirt got one bit wrong. Natalie does not have a vagina. She might have a plastic one in her happy army collection though.
Is this really necessary? If someone identifies as a female and presents at such, why question it like this?

It's no different than when some women go on about who is a "Real Man".

And fuck you very much for making me preachy, you cunt. :eusa-pray:

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Badger3k wrote:Does this mean that the FftB males are "chill guys" who only act that way to get laid with the alpha females?
They have alpha females? All the ones I've seen have been pure Z-list.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8081 ... 2baa8e.jpg

N.B. That's the nice photo. Those of you with eye-bleach handy may Google 'female baboon' images for yourselves!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Sheogorath wrote: Oh, by the way, this is my "hello forum" part of the post. Should I post on the other side of the street until you guys get to know me? Schrodinger's Feminist and all that. I'd understand really. I don't want to emotionally scar anyone and make them blog at length.
Oh yeah, definitely tread lightly, there's all kinds of purity tests you'll have to pass.

welch

Post by welch »

The deal with PZ is simple. At some point he realized that in terms of doing science, he'd hit the ceiling long ago, and being a prof at a small northern tier uni was what he was doing. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's a pretty solid gig, but, you're not going to get famous doing it. He was never going to be Dawkins or any of the other major scientists. He wasn't getting a chair anywhere, lucasian or otherwise.

He was just going to be Dr. Myers from MN.

There are in fact, worse things.

But then he figures something out - he's kind of internet famous, and he sees that the more internet famous he becomes, the more people want him around. They pay him to fly places and talk. He gets in movies, he even gets interviewed by real news people, and he starts edging closer to that Dawkins - level fame he wants so very bad. Since he can take lots of time off to go be internet famous, he does, and then realizes that aligning with Becky et al, even though she's a prat, brings more attention, and in terms of ad money, well, he's doing rather well for himself as long as he keeps the hits up.

That's easy, he just has to piss people off and in the US, just saying "I'm an atheist" gets you that.

At this point, he's basically a New Media Douchebag. He doesn't do shit, I'll bet a ten-spot his book never gets published, because he'll just be so gosh-darned busy, he's got no time to write it. (Thanks Greta, that excuse is a pip!). He has the 'regular' job which gives him stability, and the "internet famous" job which feeds his ego.

It's really not bad work if you can get it. But that's probably why PZ is the way he is.

Oh, and if you're going to click the link on the page to help out lsuoma, be double+good and BUY MY BOOK!

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

Is this really necessary? If someone identifies as a female and presents at such, why question it like this?

yeah. Nat's a dip all on her own, her gender identification isn't any part of that. Far as I'm concerned, nat wants to be referred to as female, good enough for me.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Mykeru wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

Simmer down, big trucker. I was merely pointing out that she does not "own a vagina", contrary to what Skepdirt wrote. I could give a fuck less about what she 'identifies' as.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Worra Lorra Guests!

Post by Lsuoma »

(Said in best Cilla voice, of course...)

Hello all you guesty types - I'm sure there are tons 'n' tons of you over here from Pharyngula and other FfTB places: hope you're enjoying yourselves in this uncensored, unedited, uninhibited space, so different from where Beardface, The Amazing Talking Prune, Steffalump, and Brayhorse hold sway.

Have fun, read around, and see what a place is like where people are free to say what they want, and disagree with anyone and everyone without fear of being edited, deleted or banned.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

JackRayner wrote:and assuming that women are attracted.
You know, for all that they talk about how PUAs are evil and vile bastards who hate women, I constantly said over on Skepchick back in the day that that right there is the cause of very nearly 100% of my success with women, and they praised me for it. Some of them may have disclosed that my assumption was correct in their case... and by "may have," I mean, bullshit false modesty, several of them told me that.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Stephie Zvan just puts fingers to keyboard and vomit flies out: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... -activism/

*Everything* put out on their forum and what they spout on Twitter regarding A+theism is nothing but feminism. Does Zvan even use that raisin-excuse for a brain?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote:The deal with PZ is simple. At some point he realized that in terms of doing science, he'd hit the ceiling long ago, and being a prof at a small northern tier uni was what he was doing. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, it's a pretty solid gig, but, you're not going to get famous doing it. He was never going to be Dawkins or any of the other major scientists. He wasn't getting a chair anywhere, lucasian or otherwise.

He was just going to be Dr. Myers from MN.

There are in fact, worse things.

But then he figures something out - he's kind of internet famous, and he sees that the more internet famous he becomes, the more people want him around. They pay him to fly places and talk. He gets in movies, he even gets interviewed by real news people, and he starts edging closer to that Dawkins - level fame he wants so very bad. Since he can take lots of time off to go be internet famous, he does, and then realizes that aligning with Becky et al, even though she's a prat, brings more attention, and in terms of ad money, well, he's doing rather well for himself as long as he keeps the hits up.

That's easy, he just has to piss people off and in the US, just saying "I'm an atheist" gets you that.

At this point, he's basically a New Media Douchebag. He doesn't do shit, I'll bet a ten-spot his book never gets published, because he'll just be so gosh-darned busy, he's got no time to write it. (Thanks Greta, that excuse is a pip!). He has the 'regular' job which gives him stability, and the "internet famous" job which feeds his ego.

It's really not bad work if you can get it. But that's probably why PZ is the way he is.

Oh, and if you're going to click the link on the page to help out lsuoma, be double+good and BUY MY BOOK!

That's pretty solid analysis. I called into A Voice for Men Radio a couple times when John and GWW were going off on Atheism Plus, because my theory of the thing is very similar to yours. By now they may have gotten that this is nothing more than an internet fight, a couple forums and blog consolidation sites that thought they could take it into the real world because they are deluded fucks.

Like everything else that gets stuff done, the Atheist/Skeptic movement is a hierarchical system. Doesn't mean the people at the top are better people, just that in any given hierarchy they are just better at doing what the hierarchy demands. In the corporate world, this might means being a sociopathic shit.

Anyway, there are those who do, the Dawkins and Dennets, Hitchens and Harrises that do the heavy lifting and also the Randis and Shermers and Joe Nickells who actually write, investigate, they are out there knocking doors and slapping people around. To write a book like Shermer's Denying History where he takes on the entire Holocaust Denial industry and uses source documents, photo analysis and eshews some erroneous witness testimony like the claim the Nazis made soap, and brings it all together in a slam dunk takes an incredible amount of chops. If you've ever seen the number Randi did on Uri Geller, it's a think of beauty and, really, you have to be a professional magician to really deconstruct Geller's methods. Now, it's not an exclusive club, you can have people come in out of nowhere like Larry Kusche and The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved, but the point is, you have to do the work.

Below that are the people who don't do, but write about what's done. And below that are the second and third tier bloggers who are just members of the me-too committee.

Thing about this pyramid is that the people on top tend to stay on top, but the people in the middle, the mediocre bloggers, dream of replacing them. IN any revolution the means of the middle is to enlist the peons to overthrow the ones at the top so that they can then take the place of the ones at the top and totally forget about the people on the bottom again.

What FFTB and Atheism Plus represents is the "internet-famous" people who got famous repeating the stuff that the people at the top did. At some point they decided that they didn't need the guys at the top that actually did something and the internet famous thought they could run the show themselves. Of course, once they had a little revolution, or what passes for one in internet land, they started playing "fuck the peasants" immediately, as always happens.

The joy of this whole cluster fuck is that the people who repeated, like a really egotistical typesetter who decides he doesn't need the people who actually write the copy, immediately had fuck all to say. This is why Becca is off giving lectures on mean shit people said to her on YouTube: That's all she has. She doesn't create anything, all she has is marginal internet fame and all she can do is talk about her adventures on the internet. The rest of them: The Peez, McBoob and the rest thought they could do it too, but they don't have the fire-retardant skin necessary to be one of the people at the top doing it.

I have a manifesto on the subject, but you get the idea.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

AndrewV69 wrote:
JackRayner wrote:Oh yes. There are a LOT of those. It seems there is a lot of money to be made in selling "success with women" to men. And some of it is kind of creepy too. The NLP [Neural Language Processing] brand of PUArtistry creeps me the fuck out. Just the idea though, I'm not entirely sure that it works.
I've gotten into trouble by mentioning some of my knowledge of pick up to the women I know, too. There was one friend that I recommended recommended OKCupid to. She returned with stories about some of the ways that men initiated conversations on there, so I started giving her some of my thoughts on the subject, and eventually let her know about pick-up, and how it affected my perception of the whole dating thing.
Several months later, after we ended up having a one-night stand, she started accusing me of having used PUA mind tricks to get her into bed. The fact is that all that was involved was a liter and a half of wine in my system, half a liter in hers, and her being extra flirty with me. [I think I've mentioned this story before. It was very traumatic. :violin: ] The level at which I currently employ "PUA tricks" are; believing physical beauty is common, indifference, and assuming that women are attracted. If these things are "mind tricks", [on anyone other than myself] then some of the men I know are fucking Jedi Masters!
I had to look it up but I believe the proper term is Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP). I would be interested in why you think it is creepy seeing that as far as I can see sales/marketing people appear to employ aspects of it extensively.
Doh! :doh:

Yes, that. Linguistic. :? Anywho, my feeling "creeped out" by is a wholly subjective response. I won't defend it, beyond saying that I guess I'm bothered by the idea of fellows using even more specialized manipulation techniques to get laid. I know...it's, like, if it's effective, why shouldn't it be used? Just because it's more effective than what you personally do? Like I said, I got nothing against it but my own emotions. *Shrugh*
AndrewV69 wrote:So you are a "natural" PUA *shrug*. Stuff like this is useful to people like me who would be completely clueless about what is going on without it.
I used to be. [Editor's note: I had a giant wall of text here, but I cut it, in the spirit of succinctness. If you're interested in hearing a story then lemme know and I'll share.] Then, at 22, I agreed to enter into an exclusive relationship which rounded my sharp edges off and then spit me out a year later when I had been house-broken to the point of being unattractive. Familiarizing myself with pickup has helped me learn why I was more successful pre-relationship, so I've been working on shedding my imagined inhibitions and getting my edge back...
AndrewV69 wrote:BTW, the fact that she drank wine before the sex is according to the radfems rape. And not just in Sweden either my man. Apparently on an American campus and increasingly everywhere, you are a rapist (and you wish I am joking but I am not).

Apparently the thing to do to avoid a false rape charge is to get her to text you a "great sex last night" kind of thing so if she has buyer's remorse later you have proof of consent.
I'm aware. [Isn't it sad that such a conversation must even be had?] Just went on Facebook and dug up PM's from the night after it happened; October 29 of last year. I remember that the PUA, Jedi mind-trick accusation came Monday the 31st at school, where she was wearing a really skimpy costume... [No relation to the one-night stand! Don't need a slut-walk happening on my tiny campus. :lol: ] She mostly took it as an adult. An adult would have at least taken responsibility for their own actions, and not blamed it on being hypnotized by a younger man so drunk that he couldn't comply with going a second round because he got the spins and would have puked everywhere... :oops:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

Simmer down, big trucker. I was merely pointing out that she does not "own a vagina", contrary to what Skepdirt wrote. I could give a fuck less about what she 'identifies' as.
Just sayin', sailor.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Regarding Meyers's latest woman-hating post, the one which resurrects the ghost of his "Michele Bachmann with corndog in her mouth" one.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

You know how rap jokes can never be funny? Except if you're Sally Strange? Well, it seems that, in contrast, murder jokes an be hilarious. So long as the person is killed in a way which involves some kind of amusing method, such as covering up the crime by pretending they suffocated on octopus:
Whether or not it was intended to be funny, I did find it funny. It does not distract from the tragedy of the circumstances to find humour in a part of it.
What a bunch of hypocritical cunts over at FfTB.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-470614

AND PLEASE: can we get over our fear of providing extra pennies to these folks, and remove the anonymous redirection of links, so that links to specific comments actually work?

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Mykeru wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:

Just sayin', sailor.
Gotcha ;) I can't help but sense the tongue in cheek in Skepdirt's line though.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

[quote="JackRayner"]Editor's note: I had a giant wall of text here, but I cut it, in the spirit of succinctness. If you're interested in hearing a story then lemme know and I'll share.

Only if it's really rape-y.

http://img2.moonbuggy.org/imgstore/rape ... e-rape.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Gotcha ;) I can't help but sense the tongue in cheek in Skepdirt's line though.
"Tongue-in-cheek"? Must you sexualize everything?