Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
DownThunder

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

Post by DownThunder »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Badger3k wrote:The post is up at rockbeyondbelief.com/2012/08/27/im-sure-this-will-make-a-nice-blog-fuck-off-and-die/

UUUUuuuurrrrrhhh.... That scared the shit out of me. The video linked to was creepy as fuck. Projecting "you need help, you're overreacting" after knocking him and his family up in the middle of the night to drop a mug off after being told never to contact him again!? Not nice.
Creepy. She's playing the whole "Im a non-threatening person, youre just being a big meany."

Naturally Stewedfanny Svan would not possibly want someone like that on her blog, and promptly ban such a person?

Haha, jk jk. Im sure there'll be some INABWIHTAMAWIHTAW rationalisations going on.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Ok, way more than creepy. Although Justin is not regarding what she did to him as raping him, she is absolutely a sexual predator.

Anyone want to try and share this problem over at FFTB or A+ or skepchick?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

DownThunder wrote:Ok, way more than creepy. Although Justin is not regarding what she did to him as raping him, she is absolutely a sexual predator.

No thanks - so far, I've avoided posting there, and since I've been here for a while, I'm probably perma-banned anyway, ...and I really don't want to get involved in that mess, except to munch popcorn on the side. If anyone does post, good luck. Justin is a man, and she is a woman, so any bets on who gets believed?

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

DownThunder wrote:Ok, way more than creepy. Although Justin is not regarding what she did to him as raping him, she is absolutely a sexual predator.

Already done.

TFJ

Post by TFJ »

Oolon:
Are you all self censoring for ethnic slurs when you justify misogynistic and homophobic slurs as only being words? (You/All = the subset that use/defend the use of slurs)
You must have missed the poster who explained that 'nigger' is seldom used as anything other than a racial slur (except amongst black people), whereas the so-called misogynistic slurs like 'cunt' are not necessarily misogynistic at all. In fact, I have never really seen them as such and neither does anyone I know as far as I can tell. They are simply referring to parts of the anatomy, male or female associated with various secretions. Women are just as likely to call someone a 'twat' or 'cunt' as any man, at least in the cultures I'm familiar with.

I'm curious as to your reasons for posting here. You appear to be working quite hard to find trivial inconsistencies or faults, real or imagined, to score points. I don't grasp how you can take issue with us pointing out the background and reasons for Justin Vacula's doxxing. He explained why he did it and his reasons are understandable. I agree that it was bad form, but not that it was done maliciously. He has no history I'm aware of of doing things out of the desire to injure. Compare that to Laden, Zvan and their ilk. Their actions appear to be motivated by the desire to mess with peoples' lives. Is it that unreasonable to point out the difference?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Badger3k wrote:

No thanks - so far, I've avoided posting there, and since I've been here for a while, I'm probably perma-banned anyway, ...and I really don't want to get involved in that mess, except to munch popcorn on the side. If anyone does post, good luck. Justin is a man, and she is a woman, so any bets on who gets believed?
Hmmmm... well my initial reaction was pretty similar, that it would be regarded as off-topic. But then I thought, I am seeing some realistic points of view in unlikely places.

For example, over at the Spearhead: http://www.the-spearhead.com/2012/10/03 ... g-wilting/
Out of the Abrahamic religions, and perhaps all major religions, Islam is the most democratic of faiths. Christianity, on the other hand, is spiritually aristocratic, while Judaism tends to be more legalistic.
And here, over at Feministe nuggets of truth mixed in with the usual http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2 ... e-decline/
Men who request family leave are often viewed as weak or uncompetitive and face a greater risk of being demoted or downsized.
So there is hope. But to be honest, I would not bet on it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tristan wrote:

Already done.
You have a link thingy to share?

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Tristan wrote:

Already done.
You have a link thingy to share?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-126097

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Surely with the airing of a case in the atheist community of someone being sexually assualted/violated/stalked/raped (whichever label), surely the usual blog writers would ignite into a fury of posts about the problem?? Surely???

sacha

Post by sacha »

John Greg wrote:Jean Kazez drinking ever more deeply of the intellect-free Flavor-aid:

http://kazez.blogspot.ca/2012/10/guilt- ... ation.html
JackRayner wrote:I assume this is supposed to be in defense of those who claim individual X is a misogynist because they post on a website Y, which is claimed by some to be misogynistic?

I think that before they even attempt to reach a conclusion about individual X, [whose behavior isn't even misogynistic] they first need to prove that website Y is what they claim it is.
that would be too difficult for them. They always go with the easy explanation, which is based on emotion, and logical fallacies.
real horrorshow wrote:Everyone who disagrees with a fembot is a misogynist, you know that! Kazez's entire argument is a nonsense. People are 'guilty' of what they do, not what others do. Even if person A provokes or encourages person B to do a thing, person A is 'guilty' only of the provocation, person B is 'guilty' of whatever they did. Kazez though, isn't even citing provocation. She's saying: 'if you associate with people who do X, you are guilty of X', and that is guilt by association however much she denies it. This woman holds an academic post in philosophy? She couldn't pass basic logic on this evidence!
I don't know if Kazez refers to herself as a sceptic, but she may want to have a quick look at the definition of a logical fallacy before creating her own.

The Diversion Fallacies:

Guilt By Association:
An association fallacy is an inductive informal fallacy of the type hasty generalization or red herring which asserts that qualities of one thing are inherently qualities of another, merely by an irrelevant association.
The two types are sometimes referred to as guilt by association and honor by association. Association fallacies are a special case of red herring, and can be based on an appeal to emotion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_fallacy

Red Herring: A red herring is a clue which is intentionally or unintentionally misleading or distracting from the actual issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

Straw Man:
A straw man argument attempts to counter a position by attacking a different position – usually one that is easier to counter. The arguer invents a caricature of his opponent’s position – a “straw man” – that is easily refuted, but not the position that his opponent actually holds.

Ad Hominem:

An ad hominem argument is any that attempts to counter another’s claims or conclusions by attacking the person, rather than addressing the argument itself.
The term “poisoning the well” also refers to a form of ad hominem fallacy. This is an attempt to discredit the argument of another by implying that they possess an unsavory trait, or that they are affiliated with other beliefs or people that are wrong or unpopular.

latter two definitions straight from the website of the SGU - Hi Becci!
http://www.theskepticsguide.org/resourc ... acies.aspx

Not one of the Baboons are sceptics, and that is one of the two main reasons I continue being a "Pit Bull" (love you, Arnie).

We all know what the other reason is.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

You didn't need it, but here's proof that two of the FfTB regulars are utter cunts.

Jadehawk:
my thesis, should I ever write one someday, will be dedicated (or blamed on) the Pharyngula Horde; it’s their fault after all.
Salty Current:
And you will (write one).
Cunts.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/physioprof/ ... /#comments

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:You didn't need it, but here's proof that two of the FfTB regulars are utter cunts.
Sorry, but I fail to see how that qualifies them as cunts … looks at most like a sardonic comment by Jadehawk ….

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Mini, off-topic rant. I currently find myself having to put together an impromptu lecture on plagiarism for a Master's level class, half of whom are older than I am. Apparently saying "don't plagiarize or else" isn't enough any more - because even at this level a substantial fraction of people don't actually know what plagiarism is. Heck, apparently in some cultural backgrounds copying someone else's work is considered the highest form of flattery.

Blargh. Feels like the sort of stuff I should be giving to a class of ten-year-olds.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Steersman wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:You didn't need it, but here's proof that two of the FfTB regulars are utter cunts.
Sorry, but I fail to see how that qualifies them as cunts … looks at most like a sardonic comment by Jadehawk ….

Yeah...doesn't seem like a cunty thing to say/do.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Steersman wrote:
Have you read much of FfTB? Cunts like Jadehawk and SC don't do sardonic. Xe is absolutely serious in xir assertion that xe would like to dedicate xir imaginary doctorate to The Horde (Meyers's band of merry muckwits).

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Tristan wrote:Mini, off-topic rant. I currently find myself having to put together an impromptu lecture on plagiarism for a Master's level class,
Just copy someone else's speech on this subject.
That should get the point across with a healthy dose of Fe-y.

Michael K Gray

Witch of the Weak

Post by Michael K Gray »

I never thought I'd see the day (week) that the sainted Matt Dillahunty would be the witch of the weak[sic]!
If I weren't on a puny netbook, I'd plonk an entry into Phawrongula.
¿Mañana?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Have you read much of FfTB?
Far too much; my psychiatrist is recommending a 12-step withdrawal program ….
Cunts like Jadehawk and SC don't do sardonic.
Most of them seem to be a humourless bunch most of the time, but even the phrase – The Horde – is so obviously hyperbolic – exaggeration to ridicule in this case or to mock those who criticize the Pharyngulities for “group-think” – that I can’t see it not being sardonic.

And even the discussion in which the quotes came from is more of the same, more exaggeration to mock, presumably, some of the processes of acquiring PhDs, at least in some “disciplines” ….

Combined, the evidence still seems to strongly support “sardonic” …. But I could be mistaken ….

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Tristan wrote:Mini, off-topic rant. I currently find myself having to put together an impromptu lecture on plagiarism for a Master's level class,
Heh. Don't tempt me.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I always have fun reading Laden when he's working so effectively at proving how incredibly stupid he really is. I mean, c'mon now, he doesn't really have a PhD does he? Could anyone be so stupid and earn a PhD without buying it from the back of a comic book or the middens in the trailer park?

Anyway, Greggy's mad about people calling the shots at the SCA, and he wants us to know about it. He trumpets that the problem is that the SCA ...
has something of a political hold over the organizations it is supposed to represent. Whoever is calling the shots at SCA is either not paying attention or worse, paying close attention.
My bolding.

HAHAHAHAHA

The man is as stupid as a dead frog. No wonder Stefunny makes soup in her shorts for him.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Forgot the link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-125680

Perhaps we should just pay medium attention. That would be legal, I presume.

Laden, go suck dead toads. You might learn something about yourself.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Tristan wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Heh. Don't tempt me.

You can flip it.

Instead of "plagerism is yadda yadda...."

you can..."originality is yadda yadda...so...plagerism is not 733t. The end"

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

John Greg wrote:I always have fun reading Laden when he's working so effectively at proving how incredibly stupid he really is. I mean, c'mon now, he doesn't really have a PhD does he? Could anyone be so stupid and earn a PhD without buying it from the back of a comic book or the middens in the trailer park?

Anyway, Greggy's mad about people calling the shots at the SCA, and he wants us to know about it. He trumpets that the problem is that the SCA ...
has something of a political hold over the organizations it is supposed to represent. Whoever is calling the shots at SCA is either not paying attention or worse, paying close attention.
My bolding.

HAHAHAHAHA

The man is as stupid as a dead frog. No wonder Stefunny makes soup in her shorts for him.
*snigger* So I assume Greg would prefer the person calling the shots at the SCA to pay some attention but not too much? Ok Greg, got it....

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

John Greg wrote:The man is as stupid as a dead frog. No wonder Stefunny makes soup in her shorts for him.
Urk.
Would that be bird's nest soup?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Tristan wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Heh. Don't tempt me.
MKG's idea is actually a pretty good one for the start of a lecture on plagiarism.

And MKG is an expert on plagiarism... :D (sorry 'bout the smiley, but I feared my joke would be too cryptic. 'Twas a couple of days ago, after all)

I am completely baffled by JG's post at Rock Beyond Belief. The video really creeped me out. It was like watching Ghost Hunters or something.

And Oolon: disumbrationist at http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 400#p17001 summed up my feelings in a very clear and cogent way, WRT slurs.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

oolon** wrote: For example someone above says
... that fucking Crommunist...
in much the same way as I see on here
... that cunt Rebecca/Ophelia/Zvan...
same with Twatson, bint, bitch. Even...
... that faggot Josh...
Strange.
When I typed "that faggot josh" into the search box it only came up with a single hit.

All the other references were descriptions of the term as a pejorative or as sarcastic comments rather than insults.
Perhaps I've missed some use of the term but searching the forum certainly doesn't reveal a frequent use of the term so I don't think it is reasonable to try to tar the rest of us as condoning its use as a pejorative.

Just one person has used the term faggot in that way.

I've saved his quote in my signature in case any passing baboons want to know his identity.

Do you ever wonder whether your pathetic trolling might ever turn around and bite you in the ass?

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And MKG is an expert on plagiarism...
That was what I said!

Oh: I just finished listening to Rape/Reap/Rodin & Spastic Screen-Licker, & wish to say, (ala young Mr Grace), that all did very well.
Seriously I could not have performed anywhere near as languidly informed.

I'd recommend it to my friends, if I had any.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote:
oolon** wrote: For example someone above says
... that fucking Crommunist...
in much the same way as I see on here
... that cunt Rebecca/Ophelia/Zvan...
same with Twatson, bint, bitch. Even...
... that faggot Josh...
Strange.
When I typed "that faggot josh" into the search box it only came up with a single hit.

All the other references were descriptions of the term as a pejorative or as sarcastic comments rather than insults.
Perhaps I've missed some use of the term but searching the forum certainly doesn't reveal a frequent use of the term so I don't think it is reasonable to try to tar the rest of us as condoning its use as a pejorative.

Just one person has used the term faggot in that way.

I've saved his quote in my signature in case any passing baboons want to know his identity.

Do you ever wonder whether your pathetic trolling might ever turn around and bite you in the ass?
Absolutely correct. The advanced search returns 28 instances of "faggot", and none is used against anyone, except your "exemple*", Oolon.

*read: "pulled out of your ass"

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Nice catch, Dick.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

"cunt", on the other hand, is quite prominent in the search function. 752 (well 753 now I guess) instances. Mostly in discussions about the word itself, self derision, answering to poster "Cunt" (make that 754 then) and some instances of calling someone from the other side a cunt.

Out of about 16500 posts. We're not doint so bad, I think.

Now, let's go to FTB...

Nah, just kidding, I don't give a fuck.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tristan wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Heh. Don't tempt me.
MKG's idea is actually a pretty good one for the start of a lecture on plagiarism.

And MKG is an expert on plagiarism... :D (sorry 'bout the smiley, but I feared my joke would be too cryptic. 'Twas a couple of days ago, after all)
I'm going to lead off by trying to get them thinking about why they're at university in the first place. Point out that the piece of paper they get at the end might help them get into an entry level job - but unless they demonstrate the ability to pick up, learn, understand and apply new information that that piece of paper is supposed to represent... well, they won't be moving up far or fast. And that fancy degree won't help very much when it's 10-15 years old and they're hunting for a new entry-level job after losing the old one due to incompetence.

Sad fact is, it's pretty easy to get away with plagiarism. The trick is to get them to understand that they're only screwing themselves.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tristan wrote:
*snip*

I'm going to lead off by trying to get them thinking about why they're at university in the first place. Point out that the piece of paper they get at the end might help them get into an entry level job - but unless they demonstrate the ability to pick up, learn, understand and apply new information that that piece of paper is supposed to represent... well, they won't be moving up far or fast. And that fancy degree won't help very much when it's 10-15 years old and they're hunting for a new entry-level job after losing the old one due to incompetence.

Sad fact is, it's pretty easy to get away with plagiarism. The trick is to get them to understand that they're only screwing themselves.
Here is my own original take on the subject:

Plagiarism is defined in dictionaries as the "wrongful appropriation," "close imitation," or "purloining and publication" of another author's "language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions," and the representation of them as one's own original work, but the notion remains problematic with nebulous boundaries. The modern concept of plagiarism as immoral and originality as an ideal emerged in Europe only in the 18th century, particularly with the Romantic movement, while in the previous centuries authors and artists were encouraged to "copy the masters as closely as possible" and avoid "unnecessary invention."

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Fine, fine, I'll own up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plagiarism

Sorry I can't help you much Tristan.

Git

Post by Git »

oolon** wrote:when you justify misogynistic and homophobic slurs as only being words?
Most of us are from the Commonwealth where cunt, twat, dick etc aren't misogynistic, just good old fashioned and excellent abuse. You merkins really need to stop with all this neo-puritan bollocks, seriously.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The modern concept of plagiarism as immoral and originality as an ideal emerged in Europe only in the 18th century, particularly with the Romantic movement, while in the previous centuries authors and artists were encouraged to "copy the masters as closely as possible" and avoid "unnecessary invention."
Spot on, champ.
Over the millennia, plagiarism has been considered an academic and artistic virtue beyond compare.
Example: Look at how Virgil's Æniad is still lauded to this day, despite it being a complete & unabashed rip-off of Homer's works!
Scholars refer to this plagiarism as "improving on previous masterworks.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Git wrote:
oolon** wrote:when you justify misogynistic and homophobic slurs as only being words?
Most of us are from the Commonwealth where cunt, twat, dick etc aren't misogynistic, just good old fashioned and excellent abuse. You merkins really need to stop with all this neo-puritan bollocks, seriously.
Lucky you said "most of us", Git. You Pommies have not concquered us (yet?)! Try Normandy again (not talking about D-Day here, look farther back in history), might work this time. I'd love to have Tesco and Cornwall Pasty in my part of the country too, so go all the way to Nice...

As for cunt and such, these are very common words in the french vernacular. Con, connard, conne, connasse, connerie... these are used by even the highest authorities ("Casse toi pauvre con"- N. Sarkozy). Nobody but the most obscure 80's porn director know the root of the word. Ask anyone in the street what a con is, and they'll tell you "an asshole". Not a vagina. We are done with this conotation, and maybe the USAians should try and emulate this.

I've said that before, haven't I? Many times even, I think.

MKG: I was just plagiarizing the opening paragraph of the wiki article. Now, I'll have to find where you plagiarized your paragraph from...

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Git wrote:
tOolong is just a slimy back-stabbing fraud, as is dawning on others after this time.
One who's greatest acheivement in life is making a minor pedantic point against his betters.
One of life's pathetic losers, who feels that if 'he' cannot bring himself up to the level of a reasonable adult, must drag reasonable adults down to his gutter by purposeful fabrication, lying, dissembling & juveni;e pretense at innocence.
Unlike Abdrew, I don't even find him even remotely amusing as a type-sample of the mental pathology that dominates contributors to FfTBogs.
He has demonstrated on countless occasions that he is of ill will in posting both here, and at FfTB!

He knows our arguments, he knows our documented facts.
Yet he pretends to be naive.

He is a duplicitous CUNT.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Meanwhile, in Norway events unfold:
http://eivindberge.blogspot.ca/2012/09/lex-berge.html
After Norway's Supreme Court decided my blog is legal, a chorus of feminist pundits opined that the law needs to be changed in order to punish me and other bloggers who express opinions online that would be defined as criminal incitement under the Penal Code of 1902 §140 if they were expressed in print media. The cops went so far as claiming they may charge me again under the new law unless I delete whatever offensive statements from my blog they tried and failed to prosecute me for already.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Justicar is kicking ass on youtube! Check out his latest videos.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

I am of the opinion that properly attributing work wouldn't be such an issue if we didn't need a fucking manual to figure it out! :x

(Can you tell that I'm a college student that's just about had it with the fucking APA format? It's like every new paper that I write ends up sending me back to try and figure out exactly how cite some strange source....)

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

masakari2012 wrote:Justicar is kicking ass on youtube! Check out his latest videos.
For realzies. Currently halfway through the first one on the topic of Dillahunty's sock-puppetry in the A+Theism forum.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

JackRayner wrote:I am of the opinion that properly attributing work wouldn't be such an issue if we didn't need a fucking manual to figure it out! :x

(Can you tell that I'm a college student that's just about had it with the fucking APA format? It's like every new paper that I write ends up sending me back to try and figure out exactly how cite some strange source....)
APA is shit. I had the joys of learning it myself to teach students. I despise APA.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Sulaco wrote:
JackRayner wrote:I am of the opinion that properly attributing work wouldn't be such an issue if we didn't need a fucking manual to figure it out! :x

APA is shit. I had the joys of learning it myself to teach students. I despise APA.
That's sounds horrible. The only other citation style I've even heard of is MLA, but my school treats it like a plague anytime that some poor bastard that's familiar with it asks if they can just use it instead of APA.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

APA: Alien Persus Aredator?

Because that was one hell of a shitty movie!

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Acolyte protection Agency?

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

JackRayner wrote:
Sulaco wrote:

That's sounds horrible. The only other citation style I've even heard of is MLA, but my school treats it like a plague anytime that some poor bastard that's familiar with it asks if they can just use it instead of APA.
In CA, community colleges are all MLA and four year universities are all APA. Sometimes my state is an asshole.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The modern concept of plagiarism as immoral and originality as an ideal emerged in Europe only in the 18th century, particularly with the Romantic movement, while in the previous centuries authors and artists were encouraged to "copy the masters as closely as possible" and avoid "unnecessary invention."
Well hell, with that attitude it's no wonder the sciences didn't do so well. One of the problems I have to deal with is that some of my students come from backgrounds where this is true today - in fact, copying is considered to be the highest possible compliment that can be paid to a person's work.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Why is it my plagiarism joke seems to have gone over a lot of peoples' head. I have to stop trying to be funny, I guess...

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Just managed to get banned over at A+ for suggesting to a mod that him determining I should feel my rape was worse than if I had been murdered was offensive.

Hypocrites left right and centre.

Tristan

Post by Tristan »

Oh, I got it - but went off on a tangent.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote: I don't see cunt, twat and bitch as being misogynist or offensive to the vast majority of women in general.
I don't tend to use the word "cunt" but, having lived in the UK for a while I understand that it's meaning in working class speech is pretty much the same as "dick".

I do use the word "twat", which in UK speak, is a much milder term of abuse. It's about the equivalent of "idiot".

In fact I would guess that very few UK people would automatically link the word "twat" with a vagina. If a woman asked a British guy to lick her twat, his first thought would probably be: "She has an idiot she wants me to lick?"

Besides, "twat" is a Rebecca Watson approved insult, as demonstrated by her recent use of the term to insult Bob Novella on the Skeptics Guide to the Universe.

If RW can call people 'twats', then why can't we...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

SPACKlick wrote:Just managed to get banned over at A+ for suggesting to a mod that him determining I should feel my rape was worse than if I had been murdered was offensive.

Well, the mod is right. I mean, if you had been murdered instead of being raped, you wouldn't be bitching about it on ze interwebz, right?

As a fellow rape victim, I still find it insulting for these entitled fucks to decide what or what not to feel about these experiences. My life, my body, my business!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick:
If a woman asked a British guy to lick her twat, his first thought would probably be: "She has an idiot she wants me to lick?"
You win this thread! And ow me a new screen and keyboard...

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I don't tend to use the word "cunt" but, having lived in the UK for a while I understand that it's meaning in working class speech is pretty much the same as "dick".
No, a cunt is worse than a dick. A dick has just annoed you a cunt was annoying to the point of malice.
I do use the word "twat", which in UK speak, is a much milder term of abuse. It's about the equivalent of "idiot".
Again, I'd say you've slightly underplayed it. Twat can be used affectionately where it is no worse than idiot but if I screamed in your face "how could you, you idiot?" and "how could you, you twat" I'm clearly trying to level more offense with the second.
In fact I would guess that very few UK people would automatically link the word "twat" with a vagina.
Seems to be regional, plenty of people knew it when I lived in one part of the south, none in another and the same across four parts of the north (2 & 2). some of the girls would talk about masturbation as twat slapping.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

SPACKlick wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:I don't tend to use the word "cunt" but, having lived in the UK for a while I understand that it's meaning in working class speech is pretty much the same as "dick".
No, a cunt is worse than a dick. A dick has just annoed you a cunt was annoying to the point of malice.
Again, I'd say you've slightly underplayed it. Twat can be used affectionately where it is no worse than idiot but if I screamed in your face "how could you, you idiot?" and "how could you, you twat" I'm clearly trying to level more offense with the second.
In fact I would guess that very few UK people would automatically link the word "twat" with a vagina.
Seems to be regional, plenty of people knew it when I lived in one part of the south, none in another and the same across four parts of the north (2 & 2). some of the girls would talk about masturbation as twat slapping.
Perhaps there is some regional variation in the use of these terms but I've certainly mixed with people who used "cunt" as a rough term of affection for their friends (as in "what will you cunts have to drink?")whereas the same people would only use "dick" as an insult.
I do understand that cunt, while used as an insult, is a stronger term of abuse than "dick" but I haven't really noticed people using "dicks" as a playful insult between friends the same way that "cunts" is used.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Yes, used like that "twat" is generally seen as a stronger word than "idiot" - but I suspect not a stronger insult than "prick","dick", "cock", "knobend" or various other entries from the same section of Rogers Profanisaurus.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Tristan wrote:Mini, off-topic rant. I currently find myself having to put together an impromptu lecture on plagiarism for a Master's level class, half of whom are older than I am. Apparently saying "don't plagiarize or else" isn't enough any more - because even at this level a substantial fraction of people don't actually know what plagiarism is. Heck, apparently in some cultural backgrounds copying someone else's work is considered the highest form of flattery.

Blargh. Feels like the sort of stuff I should be giving to a class of ten-year-olds.
It seems to be needed. I don't think they are learning this in the earlier grades anymore. Or maybe they just don't think it's all that important? I personally like to know WHO has really written the things I read. And I'm all for quoting, but it needs to be clear that it's a quote, and it should be attributed to the author or website, etc, and if the quote IS the whole page, then the attribution should be at the top so that people see from the start that it isn't by the person who runs the blog, writes the paper, or whatever else. A good thing I see on blogs quite often, is a title highlighted in yellow, which says this is a guest post by whoever.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

SPACKlick wrote:Just managed to get banned over at A+ for suggesting to a mod that him determining I should feel my rape was worse than if I had been murdered was offensive.

If it were true that being murdered is preferable to living after having been raped, wouldn't all or most raped women be dead now from suicide, since it sounds like they think that death is better than any kind of living with a memory of having been raped?

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Scented Nectar wrote:If it were true that being murdered is preferable to living after having been raped, wouldn't all or most raped women be dead now from suicide, since it sounds like they think that death is better than any kind of living with a memory of having been raped?
Great Minds: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=166

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Scented Nectar wrote:

If it were true that being murdered is preferable to living after having been raped, wouldn't all or most raped women be dead now from suicide, since it sounds like they think that death is better than any kind of living with a memory of having been raped?
Why single out raped women?