Periodic Table of Swearing

Old subthreads
CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31551

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Mr Danksworth wrote:^
Ain't blowback a bitch?
Indeed. Or "pushback" as Stephanie Black Svan would call it.

They sure don't like it when the pushback pushes the other way.

Dick Strawkins
.
.
Posts: 5859
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31552

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Rebecca Watson on evolutionary psychology:
"it’s so boring.. because you can only make it interesting if you make up everything."

Richard Dawkins with the perfect response.

[youtube]JIM-pcUSK0Q[/youtube]

JAB
.
.
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:04 am
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31553

Post by JAB »

BTW, I hope someone saved the youtube of RW's talk. If it's currently up on the tube in the account of someone who is one of her fans, it could dissappear. Once the backchannel of fftbs gets the story straight, those fftb posts may be changed too. Silly Zvan unfortunately made comments on other peoples blogs that she won't be able to edit, so that may bite. Rewriting history can be hard when everyone won't cooperate.

CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31554

Post by CommanderTuvok »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

soldierwhy
.
.
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31555

Post by soldierwhy »

JAB wrote:BTW, I hope someone saved the youtube of RW's talk.
This one?

[youtube]r9SvQ29-gk8[/youtube]

(Not my YouTube account BTW)

KarlVonMox
.
.
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31556

Post by KarlVonMox »

These FTB clowns really do provide endless entertainment, its just sad that they are attempting to trash the secular movement in the process.

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31557

Post by cunt »

This really is one of those times where the international skeptical community might actually be of some use. If just to say that we are going to be watching what the press come up with in terms of actual guidelines for science reporting. You can bet your life that powerful media interests and politicians are, right now, going through the guidelines of Leveson and finding weasel words to put in. Watering down whats there.

I realise that this might be off some peoples radar right now, it being a Brit thing, but for these people that constantly rage against bad science there really is no excuse for a near total radio silence on this issue. Not when you're going to illustrate your talks about how bad evo-psych is with articles from The Sun and The Daily Mail. Don't bitch about climate-denialism and illustrate your presentations with Daily Express articles if you're ultimately disinterested in making sure they slap big old "bullshit" labels all over that type of yellow journalism when the opportunity arises to make them.

Instead of that, there's just another petty bitch fight between Myers and some guy over something Myer's friend said. Big hurty pants. Lunchroom cafeteria stuff as fucking usual.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... e-coverage

CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3744
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31558

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Some funny Marcotte-style nonsense here to have a laugh at.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... f-comments

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Tickling The Ivories

#31559

Post by Dilurk »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Since we were posting musical shit, I thought I'd share this with you all:

youtube IGsY-z7RkIA /youtube
Four to a bar. My dad liked to play boogie woogie as well.

mordacious1
.
.
Posts: 967
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:33 pm
Contact:

Black Swan

#31560

Post by mordacious1 »

It's funny how all of a sudden Stefunny is having a "problem with spam" and has announced that she has to moderate first time posters on her blog (only so she doesn't have to deal with deleting spam...not people criticizing her previous blog post on this situation with RW/Ed). What a chump.

Steersman
.
.
Posts: 10154
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31561

Post by Steersman »

Just to amplify somewhat a point that many have noted, methinks that relative to “Watsongate”, several of the “usual suspects” – notably Myers and Zvan – don’t know whether they’re on foot or horseback. For instance, PZ’s post includes this rather categorical condemnation of EP even if he more or less contradicts himself with the subsequent sentence:
… but evolutionary psychology is one I would steer them well clear of, as a field that has not and will not ever contribute much of substance. The good papers in evo psych are the ones that use the tools of population genetics well and avoid the paleolithic mumbo-jumbo altogether).
However his later comment in the same thread has this rather remarkable volte-face:
There is respectable work published under the banner of evolutionary psychology. It’s just that the respectable stuff seems to be an interesting fusion of genetics, molecular biology, and anthropology that identifies and quantifies measurable genetic traits. I’ve got absolutely no beef with that.
Make up your mind there PZ. Either EP will never “contribute much of substance” or “there is respectable work published under the banner of EP”. And in the latter case it seems you’re pretty much obliged to concede that Watson’s hatchet job of the discipline was, at the very least, a rather serious error in judgement. And that, in consequence, the rather unseemly “cohabitation” of feminism and skepticism – some very strange bedfellows indeed whose sallys suffer in consequence, notably that gender is entirely a social construct – is decidedly problematic.

Seems to me that some might want to reconsider some of their personal and principled allegiances.
 

Pitchguest
.
.
Posts: 3943
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Black Swan

#31562

Post by Pitchguest »

mordacious1 wrote:It's funny how all of a sudden Stefunny is having a "problem with spam" and has announced that she has to moderate first time posters on her blog (only so she doesn't have to deal with deleting spam...not people criticizing her previous blog post on this situation with RW/Ed). What a chump.
The patriarchy made her do it. Evil, evil patriarchy.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6789
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31563

Post by Tigzy »

fascination wrote: Jeff says:
December 3, 2012 at 12:32 pm
Stephanie, I believe they call this “doubling down”?
:lol: Oh fuck, the Sick Wench of Doom must have burned when she read that.

Reap
.
.
Posts: 630
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:27 pm
Location: Reno Nevada
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31564

Post by Reap »

Hi how is everyone today? I have some things you may/may not enjoy...
Franc Hoggle on The Angry Atheist
http://angryatheist.info/?p=967

and A-news with myself and Brian Allen
http://a-news.apartmentj.com/?p=813



I would also like to ad HA HAHA! Pz, you got nuthin .....Stephanie Zvan you got nuthin+ You morons are so detached you can't even see how stupid you are making yourselves look and for what? To protect/support a looney babbling wanna be stand up comic act named Rebecca. Who told Rebecca to take her show on the road anyways? Didn't she realize that's a figure of speech?

I also suggest we support Edward Clint at any and all opportunities on this matter because I don't want to see him bullied in any way that may make him another casualty. That means getting over the usual "I don't even bother to comment" and posting because it's the readers you are talking to not the authors in many cases..

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31565

Post by ERV »

cunt wrote:This really is one of those times where the international skeptical community might actually be of some use. If just to say that we are going to be watching what the press come up with in terms of actual guidelines for science reporting. You can bet your life that powerful media interests and politicians are, right now, going through the guidelines of Leveson and finding weasel words to put in. Watering down whats there.

I realise that this might be off some peoples radar right now, it being a Brit thing, but for these people that constantly rage against bad science there really is no excuse for a near total radio silence on this issue. Not when you're going to illustrate your talks about how bad evo-psych is with articles from The Sun and The Daily Mail. Don't bitch about climate-denialism and illustrate your presentations with Daily Express articles if you're ultimately disinterested in making sure they slap big old "bullshit" labels all over that type of yellow journalism when the opportunity arises to make them.

Instead of that, there's just another petty bitch fight between Myers and some guy over something Myer's friend said. Big hurty pants. Lunchroom cafeteria stuff as fucking usual.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... e-coverage
NICE!

YOINK!

Will have a post up on that some time this week!

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31566

Post by cunt »

I knew I could count on you ERV. :)

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!
Posts: 1556
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31567

Post by ERV »

JAB wrote:I wonder if she's going to give the horrible ep talk all over nz in the next few day or if she's busy right now replacing "ep"with "pop ep" on all her slides.
Well she retweeted Svans retarded butt baby, so Im assuming she is going to dig her heels in on this one.

So *once again* we are dealing with 'drama' that could be resolved in 0.05 seconds: "I messed up. Im sorry.", but instead we are going to get "deny deny deny I am always right and HE HATES WOMEN!!!"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6789
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31568

Post by Tigzy »

Well, I think Justin Griffith has nailed his colours firmly to the mast here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... sychology/

I think he's finally had enough of the baboons - I wouldn't be surprised if he was living on borrowed time at FTB now. His responses to LeftSidePositive - who has clearly gone quite mental over this Becky/EvoPsych thing - seem to be saying, 'Ah fuck it - why should I give a damn what this gomer says...'

KarlVonMox
.
.
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31569

Post by KarlVonMox »

Tigzy wrote:Well, I think Justin Griffith has nailed his colours firmly to the mast here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... sychology/

I think he's finally had enough of the baboons - I wouldn't be surprised if he was living on borrowed time at FTB now. His responses to LeftSidePositive - who has clearly gone quite mental over this Becky/EvoPsych thing - seem to be saying, 'Ah fuck it - why should I give a damn what this gomer says...'
That's a pretty funny exchange to read between him and butthurt commenter LeftSidePositive, who wont drop the notion that Rebecca was only criticizing "pop EP". How long until FTB undergoes another ideology purge and gives him the boot? :popcorn:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31570

Post by Gumby »

soldierwhy wrote:
JAB wrote:BTW, I hope someone saved the youtube of RW's talk.
This one?

r9SvQ29-gk8

(Not my YouTube account BTW)
Every other word out of her mouth is "uh". Punctuated by countless annoying giggles and expectant pauses while she waits for laughs from the audience. Her speaking cadence is atrocious. This is a public speaker? Someone please tell me again why Watson is popular?

real horrorshow
.
.
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 am
Location: In a band of brigands.
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31571

Post by real horrorshow »

Mr Danksworth wrote:It's hard work being an apologist. Zvanity chimes in over at Chris's blog and gets her fat ass handed to her.
To quote the inimitable Victoria Wood:
"It'd take two big lads an' a wheelbarra!"

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31572

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:Well, I think Justin Griffith has nailed his colours firmly to the mast here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... sychology/

I think he's finally had enough of the baboons - I wouldn't be surprised if he was living on borrowed time at FTB now. His responses to LeftSidePositive - who has clearly gone quite mental over this Becky/EvoPsych thing - seem to be saying, 'Ah fuck it - why should I give a damn what this gomer says...'
Well, if being anti-EP wasn't in the official FtB doctrine, it sure has been penciled in now due to Becky's latest _______gate. Since Justin Griffith apparently hasn't had the stones to leave that malignant site on his own, maybe he's acting out so he gets excommunicated. Being on FtB hasn't helped his military atheist cause out one bit, and the main bloggers all hate him. He HAS to realize all this, and I really wish he'd just man up and tell PZ et. al. to fuck off instead of begging for the boot.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31573

Post by Gumby »

ERV wrote: Well she retweeted Svans retarded butt baby
How, exactly, does one retweet Greg Laden?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Black Swan

#31574

Post by Gumby »

mordacious1 wrote:It's funny how all of a sudden Stefunny is having a "problem with spam" and has announced that she has to moderate first time posters on her blog (only so she doesn't have to deal with deleting spam...not people criticizing her previous blog post on this situation with RW/Ed). What a chump.
Gee, what a coincidence :roll:

real horrorshow
.
.
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 am
Location: In a band of brigands.
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31575

Post by real horrorshow »

bhoytony wrote:Wait a fucking minute......


http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/4757 ... 96bf7d.png
The uniform of a full Colonel in the Thought Police!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6789
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31576

Post by Tigzy »

Gumby wrote:
ERV wrote: Well she retweeted Svans retarded butt baby
How, exactly, does one retweet Greg Laden?
Greg replies: "You wun away weally weally fast after thweatening to kick their ass."

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31577

Post by Gumby »

Tigzy wrote:
Gumby wrote:
ERV wrote: Well she retweeted Svans retarded butt baby
How, exactly, does one retweet Greg Laden?
Greg replies: "You wun away weally weally fast after thweatening to kick their ass."
hahaha.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31578

Post by Gumby »

Wow, Franc sounds much less like a shitfaced, rabid serial killer on steroids than I imagined. Learn something new every day.

Outwest
.
.
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31579

Post by Outwest »

Gumby wrote:Wow, Franc sounds much less like a shitfaced, rabid serial killer on steroids than I imagined. Learn something new every day.
The the podcast was really good. Not a misogynist rapist, rape- enabler as some would want us to believe. Just a regular guy.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6789
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31580

Post by Tigzy »

Gumby wrote:Wow, Franc sounds much less like a shitfaced, rabid serial killer on steroids than I imagined. Learn something new every day.
So that's what happened to Peter Garret - well fuck me sideways!

Cunning Punt
.
.
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31581

Post by Cunning Punt »

Mykeru wrote:I know this has already been posted, but really:

[youtube]iARHCxAMAO0[/youtube]

The hysteria, and that is the right word, is appalling.

At the end, the woman pretty much spitting "scum" in that guys face for the outrage of wanting to hear Farrell speak and make up his own mind, is a nightmare. Mostly because she would no doubt scream harassment for the most mild of criticism.
Holy crap. I saw this video earlier on today and by the end my heart was thumping. I can't imagine what I would have done if I had been in that guy's shoes. That was abuse pure and simple. My marriage ended a couple of years ago, and while my ex was not anything like as bad as this she was very good at finding my weak spot and honing in on it. By the end I was pretty depressed. I thought I was over it, but I realize after even this time I am still not good at confrontation like this. You know, if it was a guy I could shrug it off, or least hit the bastard, but there's something more painful for me when it's a woman. I think that's why I got so pissed off with the Horde. It brought up memories for me. Just fucking disgusting.

Okay, enough disclosure :violin:

KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 5205
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31582

Post by KiwiInOz »

Gumby wrote:Wow, Franc sounds much less like a shitfaced, rabid serial killer on steroids than I imagined. Learn something new every day.
Maaate. Franc is an ocker and a half.

real horrorshow
.
.
Posts: 1505
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:59 am
Location: In a band of brigands.
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31583

Post by real horrorshow »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:^
Ain't blowback a bitch?
Indeed. Or "pushback" as Stephanie Black Svan would call it.

They sure don't like it when the pushback pushes the other way.
Not quite I think. 'Pushback' is when someone reacts to your effort with a counter-effort. 'Blowback' is when you face up-wind and pull the trigger on your flamethrower, thus fucking yourself up with no input from the opposition. The FC(n) are now getting pushback. But Beckyboo's talk was blowback.

Get hep to the jive daddy-o!

KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 5205
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31584

Post by KiwiInOz »

real horrorshow wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:^
Ain't blowback a bitch?
Indeed. Or "pushback" as Stephanie Black Svan would call it.

They sure don't like it when the pushback pushes the other way.
Not quite I think. 'Pushback' is when someone reacts to your effort with a counter-effort. 'Blowback' is when you face up-wind and pull the trigger on your flamethrower, thus fucking yourself up with no input from the opposition. The FC(n) are now getting pushback. But Beckyboo's talk was blowback.

Get hep to the jive daddy-o!
And then there is splashback (or pissback when facing into the wind).

Cunning Punt
.
.
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31585

Post by Cunning Punt »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
I've given up on that 'femtheist' word I coined. A crazy youtuber, one who is a separatist calling for mass castration and culling of males (for real), stole the word, added an "i", and started calling herself Femitheist. Totally ruined my word by looking almost identical, but with her own deranged meaning. Check out this incredibly insane type of feminism (Solanas style separatism), beyond even the insanity of the baboons, at her pages:
Blog: http://femitheistreborn.blogspot.com/
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/FemitheistR ... eos?view=0
Holy crap, that is a Poe, surely. The image doesn't gel with the words either. But that's a sexist assumption on my part. It's that southern lilt.
I have a special dislike for separatists (who want to eliminate/greatly reduce males on earth). Krista has tried to trick me into making videos and articles about her, even under other names pretending to be a friend of hers betraying her. She faked her death months ago, then admitted it to me in a pm to try and get popular. She feels that bad publicity is just as good as good publicity. She tried reverse psychology (please don't make any videos about me), straightforward (you can even make a video about it or an article if you want), to insulting me in hopes that I'll make an angry article or video. Instead of making more videos about her or an article, I ignored her attempts, but I let her know that a bunch of us knew who she really is, etc. It freaked her out so much that she even asked an MRA, to ask me, to leave her alone (even though I was initially responding to her contacting me, not the other way around)!

I'm not sure if she is a poe, or if she really does feel that way despite that she hangs around with, and gets preggers by, a real life boyfriend. She's not living as a separatist, but if you look at her blog, she's got plans to castrate/kill/enslave-for-breeding men right now, and all future baby boys. She even goes so far as to say that women who like men too much should be killed too. She's causing harm by spreading the harmful ideology, even if she is a poe herself.
I read some of her blog. She talked about people being "removed". I don't know what kind of batshit crazy she is, but she's definitely in the genus.

BarnOwl
.
.
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: The wrong trouser of Time
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31586

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote:
soldierwhy wrote:
JAB wrote:BTW, I hope someone saved the youtube of RW's talk.
This one?

r9SvQ29-gk8

(Not my YouTube account BTW)
Every other word out of her mouth is "uh". Punctuated by countless annoying giggles and expectant pauses while she waits for laughs from the audience. Her speaking cadence is atrocious. This is a public speaker? Someone please tell me again why Watson is popular?
I can't stand to listen to her for more than a minute or so. Her talks are a nails-on-chalkboard combination of embarrassingly poor delivery, annoying mannerisms, and self-referential narcissism that's devoid of content.

The FtB wagon-circling is extremely entertaining, though. Interesting that Zvan mentions Sarah Blaffer Hrdy as one of the "approved" researchers. Hrdy was a visiting professor at my undergrad uni, in the Anthropology department (one of my majors). She's well-respected for her work on mother-infant interactions and mate choice in primates, and I can see how her research and writings could be twisted to fit the FtB narrative on the patriarchy. Here's an [url=http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/s ... }interview with Hrdy[/url] by Eric Michael Johnson; as a Houstonian myself, I found her experience growing up there to be very different from mine:
"This was a very segregated and really quite patriarchal society," Hrdy tells me from her home at Citrona Farms near the University of California, Davis, where she held a chair in anthropology until her retirement. "Growing up in Houston was a lot like growing up in South Africa."

When she later moved to Cambridge, Massachusetts, first to attend Radcliffe College and then graduate school at Harvard University, Hrdy embarked on a distinguished 40-year career as a primatologist and evolutionary theorist who would come to challenge - and ultimately transcend - an interpretation of Darwinian biology still moored in Victorian attitudes about gender and the role of mothers in natural history. But it would be Hrdy's early years in southeast Texas and her unconventional career path as she tried to balance work and family that would ultimately inspire her ideas and motivate her to persevere.

As the third daughter born into a wealthy family - Hrdy's paternal grandfather, Robert L. Blaffer, was a founder of the Humble Oil Company, which later merged with Standard Oil of New Jersey to become Exxon - her surroundings were permeated by distinctly "Southern" genteel values, especially where women's roles were concerned. But she was also subject to the prevailing attitudes in child psychology of the time, which regarded overt expressions of love and affection as a parental weakness that could spoil a child's character.
Some of the difference in our experiences can be attributed to generational factors (I'm 15 years younger than Hrdy), but I think the socioeconomic contrasts are more important. She's from an extremely wealthy family of Texas oil barons, so of course her childhood environment was quite segregated and sheltered. Likely she attended private schools in Houston, rather than the socioeconomically diverse and integrated public (US definition) schools that I attended in the suburbs and inner city. I was also raised in a solidly middle-class environment, by hippie academician parents who were influenced by the works of Piaget, Montessori, and Harlow = lots of unstructured creative playtime, attachment parenting, and alloparenting. I'm using this mundane anecdotal comparison to once again point out that the FtBers continue to project a very narrow socioeconomic experience on everyone they encounter, and repeatedly fail to consider perspectives and experiences that are substantially different from their own. They engage in a lot of egocentric thinking.

BarnOwl
.
.
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: The wrong trouser of Time
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31587

Post by BarnOwl »


fascination
.
.
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:31 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31588

Post by fascination »

So does anyone know what Svan's day job is? Or what her educational background is?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:40 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31589

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote: I'm using this mundane anecdotal comparison to once again point out that the FtBers continue to project a very narrow socioeconomic experience on everyone they encounter, and repeatedly fail to consider perspectives and experiences that are substantially different from their own. They engage in a lot of egocentric thinking.
I have noticed, often on FtB but especially in the A+ forum, that the more devout of the cultists just draw a blank when someone relates experiences or viewpoints different than the ones they have, or at least different than the experiences or viewpoints the plussers expect them to have. A lot of these people seem to live in a bubble, and just can't fully wrap their minds around the widely differing ways of seeing things that people have. And since they can't see through the other person's glasses, the frustration sets in, and the lashing out begins. They just can't handle the fact that others don't see things exactly as they do. Maybe that's why only a relatively small subset of the 2,000 signups on the A+ forum have stuck it out there - they all seem to be pretty much the same, and take the A+ "safe space" concept to the extreme. People who are different are banned or otherwise cast out.

BarnOwl
.
.
Posts: 3311
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: The wrong trouser of Time
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31590

Post by BarnOwl »

From Crommunist's post on Eschaton:
My favourite moment – Saturday night drinkathon

There were a lot of great moments to pick from, but the one that really stands out to me was after the museum gala on Saturday night. Heina and I had a bunch of booze in our hotel rooms that had gone more or less untouched, and only one remaining night to drink it. So we put out the call over Twitter to see who wanted to join us. Evidently Ottawa folks don’t stay up that late, so she and I partied duo-style until there was a knock at the door and PZ Myers joined us. Ania and Alex arrived a bit later and we drank away the wee hours of the night, with many jokes not suitable for the ears of children thrown about with wild abandon.
Oh you mad rapscallions!

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31591

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

fascination wrote:So does anyone know what Svan's day job is? Or what her educational background is?
In Franc's absence, allow me to say: "Would you like me to pre-chew your fucking dinner for you as well? Try the top right of her blog here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31592

Post by welch »

Reap wrote:Hi how is everyone today? I have some things you may/may not enjoy...
Franc Hoggle on The Angry Atheist
http://angryatheist.info/?p=967

and A-news with myself and Brian Allen
http://a-news.apartmentj.com/?p=813
The great thing about Franc was the laconic tone. "yeah, they're assholes. Whatever."

Reap wrote: I would also like to ad HA HAHA! Pz, you got nuthin .....Stephanie Zvan you got nuthin+ You morons are so detached you can't even see how stupid you are making yourselves look and for what? To protect/support a looney babbling wanna be stand up comic act named Rebecca. Who told Rebecca to take her show on the road anyways? Didn't she realize that's a figure of speech?

I also suggest we support Edward Clint at any and all opportunities on this matter because I don't want to see him bullied in any way that may make him another casualty. That means getting over the usual "I don't even bother to comment" and posting because it's the readers you are talking to not the authors in many cases..
Well, they've got no choice. They've gone all in so fucking much with her, they can't even build a ladder out of that hole, so fuckit, DIG FASTER.

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31593

Post by welch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
fascination wrote:So does anyone know what Svan's day job is? Or what her educational background is?
In Franc's absence, allow me to say: "Would you like me to pre-chew your fucking dinner for you as well? Try the top right of her blog here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds

If she's a stock analyst, that explains *everything*.

Being a part of an industry that tells companies how they should run themselves with ZERO knowledge of fuck all anything, and the prime requisite for downgrading a stock is "THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME THE THINGS I MADE UP IN MY HEAD THEY WERE GOING TO GIVE ME" is the perfect, the fucking PERFECT place for her. The only way it would be more perfect is if she worked for Gene "APPLETV ANY DAY NOW" Munster.

ConcentratedH2O, OM
.
.
Posts: 6555
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31594

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

BarnOwl wrote:From Crommunist's post on Eschaton:
My favourite moment – Saturday night drinkathon

There were a lot of great moments to pick from, but the one that really stands out to me was after the museum gala on Saturday night. Heina and I had a bunch of booze in our hotel rooms that had gone more or less untouched, and only one remaining night to drink it. So we put out the call over Twitter to see who wanted to join us. Evidently Ottawa folks don’t stay up that late, so she and I partied duo-style until there was a knock at the door and PZ Myers joined us. Ania and Alex arrived a bit later and we drank away the wee hours of the night, with many jokes not suitable for the ears of children thrown about with wild abandon.
Oh you mad rapscallions!
All that booze has to be stored somewhere. And looking at a photograph taken during the conference, versus his blog header image, I would say that in his case that is right around the fucking jowls:
http://i.imgur.com/nWusn.jpg

sacha
.
.
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31595

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote: A case of protesting TOO much? Like, maybe she's actually horrified over her own interest in animal peckers? [ I'm getting old. Who calls them peckers any more? ]
hahhaha! I still use "Willie"

Scented Nectar wrote:Fits right in with the others. I mean, they have a cannibal and a pedophile. All they were missing were people who have a thing for animal dongs. [ does anyone call them dongs any more? I AM getting old! ]
haahaha! no, Nectar. No one calls them "dongs" anymore. hahahaha!

fascination
.
.
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:31 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31596

Post by fascination »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
fascination wrote:So does anyone know what Svan's day job is? Or what her educational background is?
In Franc's absence, allow me to say: "Would you like me to pre-chew your fucking dinner for you as well? Try the top right of her blog here:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamonds
Thank you for the link! :D

Semi
.
.
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31597

Post by Semi »

welch wrote:
If she's a stock analyst, that explains *everything*.

Being a part of an industry that tells companies how they should run themselves with ZERO knowledge of fuck all anything, and the prime requisite for downgrading a stock is "THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME THE THINGS I MADE UP IN MY HEAD THEY WERE GOING TO GIVE ME" is the perfect, the fucking PERFECT place for her. The only way it would be more perfect is if she worked for Gene "APPLETV ANY DAY NOW" Munster.
There are many types of analysts. I wouldn't necessarily assume that she's a stock analyst.

sacha
.
.
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31598

Post by sacha »

and the answer is no. Clearly I cannot let a penis comment go without responding.

I really need to get fucked... well.

acathode
.
.
Posts: 888
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:46 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31599

Post by acathode »

Damn those patriarchal laws that treat the genders equally!

Reminds me of this jaw-dropping stupidity Barbara Ellen wrote up for another women teacher abusing a student case:
The internet is awash with sites dealing with "older woman teacher-pupil" fantasies. And there lies the rub – should the law be treating male and female pupil victims equally when male and female teenagers are so different?
Yeah I know it's and old article, but it's stuff like this that really made me stop calling myself a feminist completely.
Gumby wrote:Well, if being anti-EP wasn't in the official FtB doctrine, it sure has been penciled in now due to Becky's latest _______gate. Since Justin Griffith apparently hasn't had the stones to leave that malignant site on his own, maybe he's acting out so he gets excommunicated. Being on FtB hasn't helped his military atheist cause out one bit, and the main bloggers all hate him. He HAS to realize all this, and I really wish he'd just man up and tell PZ et. al. to fuck off instead of begging for the boot.
His recent post on that CFI thread might give some insights? (comment 80)
He seem to be well aware that PZ and some others hate his guts (I'm guessing the 2nd to defend Ladens actions was Svan?), but if Ed Brayton is actually truly supportive of him, that could count for a lot, and inspire quite a bit of loyalty. I hope he won't get burned to badly, he seems like a nice guy, but I think his days are numbered.

Curious though if PZ will be stupid enough to go for the ban right now, that's going to be a spectacularly bad move considering the bottomless pit they've managed to dig for themselves these last days. I'm going to guess that if he doesn't recant after Myers have posted his "real rebuttal" (ie. not just calling Cint anti-Watson but actually presenting some kind of arguments to why EP is just crap), he will be kicked.

sacha
.
.
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31600

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
Well, that's it, isn't it? In order for them to completely dismiss EP they have to reject epiphenomenalism and deny that the mind is what the brain does.

"The mind" exists not as an emergent property of matter, something that is the body and evolved along with everything else, but some sort of incorporeal entity divested from the brain.
9CqbO_5FKRc

sacha
.
.
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Gender Traitors International
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31601

Post by sacha »

[youtube]9CqbO_5FKRc[/youtube]

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31602

Post by welch »

Semi wrote:
welch wrote:
If she's a stock analyst, that explains *everything*.

Being a part of an industry that tells companies how they should run themselves with ZERO knowledge of fuck all anything, and the prime requisite for downgrading a stock is "THEY DIDN'T GIVE ME THE THINGS I MADE UP IN MY HEAD THEY WERE GOING TO GIVE ME" is the perfect, the fucking PERFECT place for her. The only way it would be more perfect is if she worked for Gene "APPLETV ANY DAY NOW" Munster.
There are many types of analysts. I wouldn't necessarily assume that she's a stock analyst.
Oh, I know. hence the "if". But it would explain a lot.

Cunning Punt
.
.
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31603

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tigzy wrote:Well, I think Justin Griffith has nailed his colours firmly to the mast here: http://freethoughtblogs.com/rockbeyondb ... sychology/

I think he's finally had enough of the baboons - I wouldn't be surprised if he was living on borrowed time at FTB now. His responses to LeftSidePositive - who has clearly gone quite mental over this Becky/EvoPsych thing - seem to be saying, 'Ah fuck it - why should I give a damn what this gomer says...'
http://i.imgur.com/Vvb7K.jpg

Yes.


welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31605

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/9SjAr.jpg

I'LL NEVER BE AS PRETTY AS JUSTIN!!!


SOB!!!!

justinvacula
.
.
Posts: 1823
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31606

Post by justinvacula »

Comment left on PZ's blog:

http://i.imgur.com/aLzKb.jpg

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31607

Post by welch »

One addendum to Reap's comment in his bit with franc:

The mainstream doesn't even know who FTB et al fucking *are*. They don't know, nor do they care. I'd wager most ATHEISTS don't give a fuck.

They don't believe in god, and go on about their lives. Really. Any time you have a group claiming to represent a population, you can bet they are a rounding error in terms of total population.

Struth
.
.
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:09 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31608

Post by Struth »

welch wrote:One addendum to Reap's comment in his bit with franc:

The mainstream doesn't even know who FTB et al fucking *are*. They don't know, nor do they care. I'd wager most ATHEISTS don't give a fuck.

They don't believe in god, and go on about their lives. Really. Any time you have a group claiming to represent a population, you can bet they are a rounding error in terms of total population.
This is most certainly the case in England

Outwest
.
.
Posts: 448
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:01 am
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31609

Post by Outwest »

justinvacula wrote:Comment left on PZ's blog:

http://i.imgur.com/aLzKb.jpg
Did he respond or just ban you?

KiwiInOz
.
.
Posts: 5205
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:28 pm
Location: Brisbane
Contact:

Re: Periodic Table of Swearing

#31610

Post by KiwiInOz »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/9SjAr.jpg
Can we just refer to you as Mr Notorious now?

Locked