The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
Notung

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by Notung »

Apparently Shermer has followed up re: skeptidrama in the new Free Inquiry. It's not out yet though. Allegedly, there are witch-hunting references and Nazi references, and he goes after Ophelia mainly, and PZ a bit.

He's getting attacked by lots of people on Twitter right now, that's how I know.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Just a quick update: the three missing donations for the Operation Smile fundraiser have been located and added to the total. We're just under $3K :) 11.45 Fugly Fluvogs or 12.41 Sensational Smiles.

Oh, and I've given up trying to keep up with the latest topics. That's what I get for taking the day yesterday to watch Downton Abbey.

Anyway, thanks to all you fantastic donators!
Renee,
because I can't find it and am having too bad a morning / am too fucking lazy to look, can you post the link again to your fundraiser account?

Thanks.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Metalogic42 wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Latest on Peezus' blog: “make a striking conversation piece on any discerning zombie gamer’s mantel.” (Freezepage link below)

http://www.freezepage.com/1358272890ZFZDBVJTAU

Um, am I the only one who doesn't see a problem with the torso? I mean, in as far as the context of the game itself??
I've noticed that both PZ and the author of the article he links to both describe it not as just misogyny, but vile misogyny. "Vile misogyny" looks to be becoming another FTB buzzword, meant to demonize those who enjoy the macabre.

And then PZ goes on to imply that fans of the statue are necrophiliacs. I wonder if he's seen the 2013 Evil Dead trailer...cause if this statue bothers him, that will make his head explode.
It is the natural sequence of events. The FtB 'misogynist' is so overused that it is just standard issue. Hell, not only do we joke about it now, but I'm thinking of making a 'barbarian misogynist in racist hat' T-shirt. 'Vile misogynist' is just the next, inevitable upgrade. Next will be 'dastardly, vile misogynist' or something equally sublime.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Metalogic42 wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Latest on Peezus' blog: “make a striking conversation piece on any discerning zombie gamer’s mantel.” (Freezepage link below)

Um, am I the only one who doesn't see a problem with the torso? I mean, in as far as the context of the game itself??
I've noticed that both PZ and the author of the article he links to both describe it not as just misogyny, but vile misogyny. "Vile misogyny" looks to be becoming another FTB buzzword, meant to demonize those who enjoy the macabre.

And then PZ goes on to imply that fans of the statue are necrophiliacs. I wonder if he's seen the 2013 Evil Dead trailer...cause if this statue bothers him, that will make his head explode.
I suppose I'm probably wrong for thinking of the torso bust *in the context of the game* therefore it doesn't bug me or scream "vile misogyny". Would it have been less "misogynistic" had the torso been sans bikini? Or was it simply because it was a woman's torso and not a man's torso? Going even further, had it been a man's torso, would it be ok to scream "vile misandry"? People like PZ confuse the fuck out of me.

Altair

Post by Altair »

You're not the only one. I don't see a problem with it, after all the game is set on an island resort, and most people walk around wearing swimsuits when they're at the beach (explaining something to PZ feels like explaining things to a 5 yr old). So that's the reason for the bikini.

Then you have zombies, and zombies tend to eat people. That's why it's only a torso. Yes, that's why the game is called Zombie Island, you got it, PZ.

Now, on a more serious note, it bothers me how even fictional violence against a fictional woman is considered misogyny by that bunch. Apparently we are not allowed to depict fictional violence against a woman, in the context of a work of fiction.
That leaves us with two possibilities (according to their Thought Process): either we stop depicting violence against anyone and seriously restrict any work of fiction, or we only depict violence against men, which is apparently OK with them.

The third option, which would imply understanding that works of fiction sometimes include violence, and that sometimes that violence is directed at women, and sometimes at men, and that's that.

Also, I wonder what they would say about Lollipop Chainsaw, another zombie videogame, in which the protagonist carries around the head of her zombie boyfriend (he got bit and she cut his head off to save him, and the head is apparently sentient). Would they spot misandry there or would they get distracted by the revealing cheerleader attire she wears and cry objectification?

Philip of Tealand

Post by Philip of Tealand »

I wonder what the reaction would have been had it been a male torso?

Its also as if PZ has never been to a beach before - err PZ - women wear bikinis

Ok, so they might not be being chased by Zombies so much but they do wear bikinis

Sometimes, SHOCK HORROR, they go...topless!

So do the men!

I know, crazy huh??

The shock and horror, I think I ned a cup of Tea!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Notung wrote:Apparently Shermer has followed up re: skeptidrama in the new Free Inquiry. It's not out yet though. Allegedly, there are witch-hunting references and Nazi references, and he goes after Ophelia mainly, and PZ a bit.

He's getting attacked by lots of people on Twitter right now, that's how I know.
I'm seeing that as well. Ophie had been quiet so I'm sure she was just itching for more "professional victim" points.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Dilurk wrote: The more I think about it the more I think labelling the Slymepit as a feminist site (at least for a while) would be good.
My new avatar ruins any hope of this becoming a reality.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gefan wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Just a quick update: the three missing donations for the Operation Smile fundraiser have been located and added to the total. We're just under $3K :) 11.45 Fugly Fluvogs or 12.41 Sensational Smiles.

Oh, and I've given up trying to keep up with the latest topics. That's what I get for taking the day yesterday to watch Downton Abbey.

Renee,
because I can't find it and am having too bad a morning / am too fucking lazy to look, can you post the link again to your fundraiser account?

Thanks.
http://support.operationsmile.org/goto/reneehendricks

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Mykeru wrote:
Gefan wrote:Very cautiously, I'd like to throw in my two cents to the "sex as obligation" conversation.
That "relationship" monogamy shit sounds like a complete pain in the ass.
Fixed that for you.

If it works for people, hey, best of luck. It's like golf. A lot of people claim to enjoy it but I can't for the life of me figure out why, and suspect it's practiced usually only as a a sort of social obligation.

Altair

Post by Altair »

comslave wrote:
Dilurk wrote: The more I think about it the more I think labelling the Slymepit as a feminist site (at least for a while) would be good.
I like that picture, women in the future will have good abs :D
In keeping with the topic of Sci-fi and vile misogyny, I offer for your enjoyment Star Trek TNG's Tasha Yar:

http://bit.ly/13zUTr8

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

John Brown wrote:Off topic of what's being discussed in the thread, but I just ran across this while doing some side research into the eugenics movement of the early 20th century:
For a generation we black folks have been the sexual scapegoats for white American filth in literature and lynching. Every time a black man commits a crime, the story is garnished and embellished by unbelievable sadism in order to make a beast out of the criminal. It is not enough that a black man robs or kills or fights. No! In addition to that, the world must be made to believe him a wild beast of such inconceivable and abnormal appetites that he turns from red force and white anger to filthy lust. No proof is asked for such incredible lies. -W.E.B DuBois: The Crisis, October 1930
This seems an appropriate response to the Schrodinger's Rapist nonsense.
Very nice, thank you.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

sacha wrote:
bhoytony wrote:I've spent the last few days killing the planet with long haul air travel and have just caught up with the thirty pages I missed.
where did you go?
Phnom Penh

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Metalogic42 wrote:I wonder if he's seen the 2013 Evil Dead trailer...cause if this statue bothers him, that will make his head explode.
I'm so glad you mentioned that. I had no idea a remake was on the cards!

No Bruce Campbell but still looking good.

You think they'll do all three movies?

(Can't wait for this movie!)

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:There is nothing that gets a Rad Fem riled quite like pubic hair removal

http://skepchick.org/2013/01/pubic-lice ... g-extinct/
"Lady Gardens?"
Lady gardens are where bakers get the yeast they use in their bagels.
Makes perfect sense...

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Gefan wrote:Very cautiously, I'd like to throw in my two cents to the "sex as obligation" conversation.
That "relationship" shit sounds like a complete pain in the ass.
no more than buying the wrong seat for your bike and insisting it's not wrong even though that pain in your ass says different. I've seen people spend more time on their next car than their next relationship.
Yes, but considering a bicycle seat is actually useful and literally supportive, I think I will call false analogy.

comslave

Post by comslave »

SPACKlick wrote:
aweraw wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Can I just say all you folks are a little late with the Star Trek theme.
Does Voyager really count though? Fuckin' Janeway... WORST. STARFLEET. CAPTAIN. EVER.
*cough* Jonathan Archer *Cough*

Archer didn't get lost in space.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Lady Gardens? Really? Ugh. That kind of asinine renaming of a body area just makes me want to punch the one who said it. It ranks up there with calling your vagina a "va-jay-jay", a "cookie", or a "butterfly". Quit acting like a fucking 6 year old and call it what it is.

On that note...

penis vagina vulva scrotum

You're welcome.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Dilurk wrote:I know the area a bit, my sister lives roughly the same distance south of the 401 as this place is north of the 401 and near Bathurst. I often scoot up Bathurst to the 401 going home from her place and I have seen the Orthodox jews along Bathurst, though not that far north usually.

Say, I find you interesting. Would you like to go have a cup of coffee with me next time I visit my sister?
Yeah, I probably would. Give me at least a day's notice though. :)

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

comslave wrote:
SPACKlick wrote:
aweraw wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Can I just say all you folks are a little late with the Star Trek theme.
Does Voyager really count though? Fuckin' Janeway... WORST. STARFLEET. CAPTAIN. EVER.
*cough* Jonathan Archer *Cough*

Archer didn't get lost in space.
No, he basically didn't do shit at all. Enterprise was created to make people miss Voyager.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Altair wrote: I like that picture, women in the future will have good abs :D
In keeping with the topic of Sci-fi and vile misogyny, I offer for your enjoyment Star Trek TNG's Tasha Yar:
Le barf.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Le barf.
Picky Mr Danksworth :lol:
Which sci-fi lady is the most appealing to your tastes? I'm good with google images.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Altair wrote:
comslave wrote:

I'll see your Yar with a Seven of Nine,

http://blog.buycostumes.com/uploaded_im ... 729572.jpg

And raise you a T'Pol,

http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii6 ... 1/tpol.jpg

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Le barf.
I have to sort of agree with the "barf". I never really liked the Tasha Yar character. You know who I always found sexy and still find sexy? Uhura:

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/up ... t-trek.jpg

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Al - 7 of 9 and T'Pol - oh, hell yes :D

LMU

Post by LMU »

somedumbguy wrote:
John Brown wrote:Off topic of what's being discussed in the thread, but I just ran across this while doing some side research into the eugenics movement of the early 20th century:
For a generation we black folks have been the sexual scapegoats for white American filth in literature and lynching. Every time a black man commits a crime, the story is garnished and embellished by unbelievable sadism in order to make a beast out of the criminal. It is not enough that a black man robs or kills or fights. No! In addition to that, the world must be made to believe him a wild beast of such inconceivable and abnormal appetites that he turns from red force and white anger to filthy lust. No proof is asked for such incredible lies. -W.E.B DuBois: The Crisis, October 1930
This seems an appropriate response to the Schrodinger's Rapist nonsense.
Very nice, thank you.
Has anyone read Whistling Vivaldi by Claude Steel? I haven't read it myself but from what I've heard he basically lived as Schrodinger's Black Mugger (the racist analogue of Schrodinger's Rapist). Supposedly he would whistle so people would know he was there and not feel threatened, and came to the conclusion that negative stereotypes are harmful (imagine that!). It might interest some of you and I'm curious if anyone has more detailed thoughts.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Al Stefanelli wrote:[spoiler]
Altair wrote:
comslave wrote:

http://blog.buycostumes.com/uploaded_im ... 729572.jpg[/spoiler]

And raise you a T'Pol,

Apparently after spending all that money building the enterprise, they didn't have enough to put a heating system in the decontamination chamber. Not that I'm complaining.

EdgePenguin

Post by EdgePenguin »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Altair wrote:
comslave wrote:

http://blog.buycostumes.com/uploaded_im ... 729572.jpg
The lass who played Seven is much more attractive not wearing that ridiculous outfit.
Again, I think they did a fair poor job of making an attractive woman "sexy". Maybe I'm just not into catsuits that much.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Altair wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:[spoiler]
Altair wrote:
comslave wrote:

http://blog.buycostumes.com/uploaded_im ... 729572.jpg[/spoiler]

And raise you a T'Pol,

Apparently after spending all that money building the enterprise, they didn't have enough to put a heating system in the decontamination chamber. Not that I'm complaining.
Somewhere in Engineering there is a person with a shit-eating grin, at the controls for the valves to the HVAC vent that feeds the decon chamber, and a video com-link.

somedumbguy

Post by somedumbguy »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Mr Danksworth wrote:
Le barf.
I have to sort of agree with the "barf". I never really liked the Tasha Yar character. You know who I always found sexy and still find sexy? Uhura:

http://www.themarysue.com/wp-content/up ... t-trek.jpg
Uhura. Oh yeah.

I confess that I was pleased when they killed Yar Baby off, and even more pleased when for the next two years, close to her death anniversary, they would bring her back just so they could kill her off again.

Anyway, so where was I? Oh yeah, there I was with Uhura, Jadzia Dax, and Yeoman Rand.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Altair wrote:
Picky Mr Danksworth :lol:
Which sci-fi lady is the most appealing to your tastes? I'm good with google images.
Barbarella, of course.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-khumELAfEVg/T ... rella1.jpg

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Shit, that image is huge. Sorry. :(

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Shit, that image is huge. Sorry. :(
It seems to be this one?

http://bit.ly/XbBR4T

Your taste in women, I like it.
Also note the guy in the back's strategically positioned hands.

Philip of Tealand

Yikes!

Am I the only one who thinks those poor women have suffered as a result of a plastic surgeon who ran out of silicone and simply decided watermelons were the next best substitute?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

somedumbguy wrote:
Uhura. Oh yeah.

I confess that I was pleased when they killed Yar Baby off, and even more pleased when for the next two years, close to her death anniversary, they would bring her back just so they could kill her off again.

Anyway, so where was I? Oh yeah, there I was with Uhura, Jadzia Dax, and Yeoman Rand.
Jadzia - yuuuuummmmmm! Beauty, brains, and brawn. A trifecta of ST female goodness :D

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Gefan wrote:

Renee,

Thanks.
http://support.operationsmile.org/goto/reneehendricks
Thanks, Renee.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:There is nothing that gets a Rad Fem riled quite like pubic hair removal

http://skepchick.org/2013/01/pubic-lice ... g-extinct/
"Lady Gardens?"
Lady gardens are where bakers get the yeast they use in their bagels.
Makes perfect sense...
No one MAKES you get a brazilian wax, but sex is a marketplace, and if women who get them are more popular, tough. Every decision you make that makes you less attractive is yours to make. You're free to be as ugly as you want to be. Get fat, wear ugly clothes, and so on. Do as you please. As long as you don't complain about not finding a boyfriend, that's fine. But thinking you can complain your way into bed with someone is pure insanity.

http://scitechdaily.com/brazilian-bikin ... ubic-lice/

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

I would attend Women and Secularism, write about my experiences, and report on my blog. The problem, though, is that I am strapped for cash at the moment.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Altair wrote:
comslave wrote:

http://www.freewebs.com/1969clangers/img/mthckn.jpg

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gefan wrote: Thanks, Renee.
And thank you!

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Altair wrote:
It seems to be this one?

[spoiler]http://bit.ly/XbBR4T[/spoiler]

Your taste in women, I like it.
Also note the guy in the back's strategically positioned hands.
Bingo!

pandora

Post by pandora »

Gefan wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
That "relationship" monogamy shit sounds like a complete pain in the ass.
Fixed that for you.

If it works for people, hey, best of luck. It's like golf. A lot of people claim to enjoy it but I can't for the life of me figure out why, and suspect it's practiced usually only as a a sort of social obligation.
I can't think of anything worse than having to bother trying to attract anyone else at this point in my life. Having one partner is absolutely enough for me and it has nothing to do with social obligation - couldn't give a fuck what I'm socially obliged to do, if I wanted to have 10 partners I'd have them. But I genuinely don't.

However, we have small children together. I couldn't possibly wrap my head around managing more than one partner (whether at once, or serially) because managing our children together is a hard enough task. If I didn't have children it might be different, but I've never really been into playing the field. I just am not interested, I don't have the mental space for it. To me, being out there in the world of single people and "dating" and casual sex sounds like a complete pain in the ass. ;)

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Philip of Tealand wrote:Yikes!

Am I the only one who thinks those poor women have suffered as a result of a plastic surgeon who ran out of silicone and simply decided watermelons were the next best substitute?
I look at plastic surgery like I do the shaving or shaping of pubic hair.

If you want to do it, go ahead. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead. If you use it as a marketing tool, go ahead. Personally, I don't care one way or the other if a woman chooses to have a boob job, or colors her hair, or wears makeup or no makeup, or dresses whatever way she wants. None of my business, and what I see as attractive I'll notice as such.

Wardrobes vary from sci-fi movie/show to sci-fi movie/show, and sometimes they do an overall decent job and sometimes they don't. With that said, how about Xena, then?

http://www.horrorchannel.co.uk/pictures ... nces/2.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Have I mentioned that Star Trek sucks ass?

Not only because it's just generally cheesey shit, filled with monolithic planetary cultures and faster-than-light ships using an advanced techology that can't fail-safe the warp cores, but because its central message of tolerance is a cop out.

Tolerance of what? Yeah, that's right: Beings that look and act pretty much like humans except they have little crinkly things on their noses.

When Star Trek starts featuring, as a main character, the sentient cephalopods who breathe methane and whose form of polite greeting is to piss ammonia into your open mouth, then they can do the velour shirt lecture on tolerance.

Also, everyone is dead the first time they step into the transporter.

Fuck Star Trek.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Al Stefanelli wrote: Wardrobes vary from sci-fi movie/show to sci-fi movie/show, and sometimes they do an overall decent job and sometimes they don't. With that said, how about Xena, then?

She can play with my chakram anytime she wants.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mykeru wrote:Have I mentioned that Star Trek sucks ass?

Not only because it's just generally cheesey shit, filled with monolithic planetary cultures and faster-than-light ships using an advanced techology that can't fail-safe the warp cores, but because its central message of tolerance is a cop out.

Tolerance of what? Yeah, that's right: Beings that look and act pretty much like humans except they have little crinkly things on their noses.

When Star Trek starts featuring, as a main character, the sentient cephalopods who breathe methane and whose form of polite greeting is to piss ammonia into your open mouth, then they can do the velour shirt lecture on tolerance.

Fuck Star Trek.
http://bit.ly/107C2Vu

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Fuck Star Trek.
I'll still love you despite your hatred of Star Trek :D

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

BarnOwl wrote:
I think Clarkson is stoatingly funny in the context of Top Gear, but I recognize that in almost every other context, he's a weapons-grade arsehole.
God, I fucking LOATHE Top Gear, Clarkson and his repulsive gang of public schoolboy fuckstains.

[youtube]w0i0RXMvzMs[/youtube]

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

[spoiler]Mykeru sez: Have I mentioned that Star Trek sucks ass?

Fuck Star Trek.[/spoiler]

I concur. I do love me some classic Kirk ass-kicking and banging green bitches though. The newer shit was PC garbage.

Philip of Tealand

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Philip of Tealand wrote:Yikes!

I look at plastic surgery like I do the shaving or shaping of pubic hair.

If you want to do it, go ahead. If it makes you feel better about yourself, go ahead. If you use it as a marketing tool, go ahead. Personally, I don't care one way or the other if a woman chooses to have a boob job, or colors her hair, or wears makeup or no makeup, or dresses whatever way she wants. None of my business, and what I see as attractive I'll notice as such.

Wardrobes vary from sci-fi movie/show to sci-fi movie/show, and sometimes they do an overall decent job and sometimes they don't. With that said, how about Xena, then?

Oh I completely agree, sorry, I was mostly being silly! :D

Whilst I don't find it attractive there are those that do and that can't be a bad thing!

mordacious1

Star Trek

Post by mordacious1 »

Mykeru

It's the cheesyness that makes Star Trek funny. I loved Galaxy Quest because they pointed out the cheese, like when Alan Rickman tells the Kirk character, "I see you've managed to get your shirt off again" (not a direct quote)...it's funny, at least for dry humor. There's so much to mock in Star Trek, it...becomes...a hobby.

Live long and prosper.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Altair wrote:

Fuck Star Trek.
http://bit.ly/107C2Vu
And what's with this guy? Who the fuck makes the butler captain?

comslave

Post by comslave »

Altair wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote: Wardrobes vary from sci-fi movie/show to sci-fi movie/show, and sometimes they do an overall decent job and sometimes they don't. With that said, how about Xena, then?

She can play with my chakram anytime she wants.

A lesbian with a sword is not exactly my idea of a good time.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mykeru wrote:
It can't be worse than the time they put the butler in charge of the ship while the crew was sleeping

http://bit.ly/107F8bT

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

[spoiler]
Philip of Tealand wrote:

I wonder what the reaction would have been had it been a male torso?

Its also as if PZ has never been to a beach before - err PZ - women wear bikinis

Ok, so they might not be being chased by Zombies so much but they do wear bikinis

Sometimes, SHOCK HORROR, they go...topless!

So do the men!

I know, crazy huh??

The shock and horror, I think I ned a cup of Tea!
[/spoiler]
PZ wrote:I can only imagine that it’s fuel for fantasies about treating women as dead meat.
I can only imagine PZ is unable to reach climax on days where he doesn't find something to be smugly morally superior to. Does that say more about PZ or about me?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

another lurker wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... -thinking/

Lousy Canuck on Rocko's petition:
So, if this petition fails in its goal, I want to make absolutely certain that it does not fail as a result of being underpublicized. Basically, I want to make sure it doesn’t fail on account of me. And I will consider it, in its entirety, on its merits. Because that is what one does with the respectful free exchange of ideas: thinking critically about them.

Sally Strange comments:
SallyStrange: Elite Femi-Fascist Genius

January 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm AST (UTC -4)

Funny, I’ve been told that feminism is not respected in academia by this bunch… but now they bring up equity feminism, which is DEFINITELY not respected in academia. Is academic respect something worthwhile or not?

p.s. if Lousy Canuck's response has already been posted I apologize, I have skimmed over some posts, and may have missed it.
It would be handy if there was a wiki page to counter those blank-faced denials of radfeminess from the FTBers. I know there was a lot of choice material from Daisycutter, Caine and their ilk back in the early days. I have a vague memory of equity feminism being dismissed as the 'clownshoes school of feminism' . Some of the Scienceblogs material may have conveniently disappeared, but hopefully there are screencaps. It just strikes me that the claims and counterclaims go round in circles without any way to evaluate their validity. I hate to pull a reGreta, honest, but there's just too much meatspace stuff to attend to and bandwidth is at a premium here ( I'm on a capped HSPA connection). I really don't have the time to devote to this stuff so I really appreciate the effort that others put in to trawling blogs for juicy quotes.

Rocko, in case you are still unsure about the lack of trust in the good faith of the FC(n), see this delightful quote from Benson about engaging with Justicar.
"I don’t want to see Justicar as a decent human being in one place despite knowing that he’s not one via what he’s said in other places."

pandora

Post by pandora »

Spence wrote:
windy wrote:
Spence wrote: No, I was mocking your shitty analogy, but it seems it went waaaay over your head. Dear muslima:

Not getting sex from a specific person - zero bad
Not getting oxygen - very bad
Not getting sex from the person you're supposedly in a sexual relationship with at least every once in a while- somewhat bad. Problem??
If you're not getting sex from them, then you're not in a sexual relationship with them, kinda by definition. Might have been you were in the past; it might not be the ideal way to find out you're no longer in a sexual relationship with them, but the answer to that isn't to expect them to have sex with you against their will.

But there is zero bad in refusing sex, and there is zero bad in splitting up over it. Sure, there are hurt feelings, disappointments, upset, unmet expectations, etc.,etc., but these are part of life not "bad".
I definitely think this "issue" is an "issue" because of the word obligation. To me being "obligated" to have sex does not mean my partner holding me down while I scream no. He'd never do that to anyone ever. That's not obliging someone to do something, it's forcing them through intimidation and violence. I think obligation is too weak a word for that. What it means that even though I'll probably only be horny enough to initiate sex about twice in the next 12 months, I'll compromise and accept that he's horny enough to do it about couple of days (probably more, but lets be realistic given his work hours, our family responsibilities, etc) so I'll have to do it even though I'm not particularly in the mood. I'm still consenting. I'll probably even enjoy it, even though if it was up to me we'd almost never do it. It's just so low on my priority list.

The idea that I'm talking about being "obligated" as in he asks, I say no, but then he makes me do something against my will, is absolutely not what I mean. If I felt that strongly about not having sex, we could always just break up. I don't want to do that (and not only because of our kids. As a companion, he's pretty fucking awesome), so we compromise. He compromises as well, because he gets it once a week or once a fortnight instead of every freaking night.

Now, back to the discussion of sexy sci-fi chicks.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Altair wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
It can't be worse than the time they put the butler in charge of the ship while the crew was sleeping

http://bit.ly/107F8bT
Well, that film was a large steaming pile of horseshit from inception, the inception being Ridley Scott reviewing the career of George Lucas and saying "Hey, this childhood raping looks like fun..."

Pitchguest

Re: walking the dog

Post by Pitchguest »

To sacha:

[spoiler]
sacha wrote:
Pitchguest wrote: The point where I disagree is where you compare it to walking a dog. The analogy was for the urge to have sex, that (to me anyway) does not mean an obligation to reciprocate. Especially since the analogy is contingent on what "walking the dog" really means, taking it outside so it can do its business or it'll stink up the house.

Although I agree that entering a relationship is a two-way street and it does carry with it certain obligations, to both parties involved, including taking care of eachother's needs. But it's not like walking the dog. That's like saying sex is an untenable urge that needs to be satisfied or you'll eventually, beside yourself, relieve yourself and stink up the house. Taking the dog for a walk is for that purpose a necessity, something that for example sex isn't, and therefore (to me) shouldn't be used as an analogy for a relationship. Especially not if the analogy is then used to predicate that if you do not want to walk the dog (or in the other case, have sex), then you should get a toy dog. Not even remotely apt in my view.
I sincerely hope you don't have a dog, and are never responsible for a dog, even for a day.

The reason for taking one's dog for a walk is not so it doesn't "stink up the house". I can't begin to tell you how incensed I was after reading that statement. Very few things make my blood boil.
You take out the rubbish so it does not "stink up the house". A dog is not analogous to a rubbish bin.

Many people, myself included, have a backyard where the dog can relieve himself, so a walk is not a "necessity". If one does not have a yard, they could put the dog on a lead and walk 3 steps outside for him to relieve himself, then turn around and walk back in. That isn't taking the dog for a walk.

You walk your dog every day because it makes them happy, and content...
(and their happiness is well worth the small effort, even if it is raining. You may find that you enjoyed it more than you thought. They also do things that make you happy and content, which is why it is a perfect fucking analogy to sex with a significant other.)

... and exercised, and emotionally and psychologically well.
Of course it also does the same for the human, and it is exceptionally rewarding to see how a simple walk means so much to them, and it is exceptionally humbling to know that something so small made their lives so much happier. How can one refuse them such a tiny effort, when they would give their lives for you without hesitation.

Walking my dog reminds me how the little things in life are the most important, it reminds me to appreciate the things most people are too busy to notice, or take for granted. My world is more beautiful, more interesting, and gives me more pleasure when I am out walking with my dog.
I am responsible for his happiness, his comfort, and his contentment, and making sure he is happy, comfortable, and content is so very easy, and what I get in return is priceless.
If you do not understand that, you don't deserve to have a dog.

I am incredibly fortunate to be able to share my life with my dog... Far more fortunate than I am worthy of.
he is your friend, your partner, your defender.

you are his leader, his love, his life.

he will be yours til the last beat of his heart.

you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

-anonymous
[/spoiler]

Hmmm. I blame this on my inability to explain things. Especially in things like this. No, walking a dog is not just for taking it outside to do its business, but that they also need exercise and it's good for them. (Even though not everyone has their own backyard for their dogs to run off to on their own.) I understand that and I didn't mean to bog it down the way I did. What I meant was that you shouldn't compare the desire to have sex to walking the dog. Walking a dog is a necessity in a different way than having sex is a necessity. Entering a relationship means you offer yourself to the other and vice versa, however having sex is not an obligation in the same way that walking a dog is an obligation.

Relationships aren't purely sexual (unless you agree before that it is, in which fair enough); they're much more than that. What happens before you enter a relationship? You court, you get to know one another and then, eventually, you fall in love. (I realise 'love' is not contingent on a relationship, but it does seem [to me, at least] a prerequisite of sorts if you want a long-term relationship.)

Then the relationship should fall into how much you care for eachother. Look, as an analogy, it's as if you buy a pet, like a dog or a cat, and then say it's obligated to cuddle you or whatever, for getting exercise, fed, etc. Or that it's for the entertainment factor or something else, and when you no longer feel you get enough cuddles or sufficiently entertained, you buy another pet. Maybe it's a crude comparison. It's just that (to me) the obligation for entering a relationship is for more than just an obligation for ... sex. Do you get what I'm trying to say at all or am I just digging myself deeper?

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mykeru wrote: Well, that film was a large steaming pile of horseshit from inception, the inception being Ridley Scott reviewing the career of George Lucas and saying "Hey, this childhood raping looks like fun..."
I agree with you on that, I prefer to forget that anything Xenomorph-related was made after Aliens.