The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Old subthreads
Altair

Re: The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by Altair »

SenorBeagle wrote:
BannedAid wrote:Admittedly, the first time I saw the phrase "lady-science," I figured she meant science strong enough for a man, but pH-balanced for a woman.
Catching up, and apologies if anyone's done this already, but I couldn't help myself...
Lady Science For Her.jpg
The name of your image suggests a "Lady Science for Him". That raises even more questions :think: :D

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Trigger Warning: Wanker Alert

[spoiler]http://wcoa.info/apwin.jpg[/spoiler]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
It would be best if both sides here took a charitable view here. Ok so Ophelia godwin'ed I'll take her at her word that it was not meant that way. But then Ophelia should be willing to accept Shermer did not mean a godwin either. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say.

Can we both just move on? It's a waste of time.
We're supposed to be "charitable" and "move on"? Last time I checked, this was an area to showcase the idiocy that is rife within FfTB and A+. My whole point with Ophelia is that she took a line, completely misread it, then went on a "woe is me, I'm a victim" kind of rampage. I take issue with this crap because unsuspecting people new in the atheist/skeptical community look toward people like Ophelia for a sense of sanity, logic, and reason within that community. When they can't even be bothered to actually comprehend the shit their reading and don on their professional victim gear at every corner, shouldn't we continue to shine a light on the hypocrisy?

Yeah, for the record, I won't be charitable and I won't move on.
If they were able to make concessions in the first place, it wouldn't even be an issue. I'm all for being charitable if they deserve it. In fact, I'm always looking for the option that is more charitable than not, which is probably why I'm still trying to argue with these people. Unlike Benson, Myers, etc, and their commentariat, I haven't thrown in the towel just yet. (Even though I realise more than half of the time it's a lost cause and won't lead to anything constructive.)

But they're not. As a matter of fact, this place exists solely because of their inability to concede and really, it's been their sthick for the past year and a half. Until that time they decide to not make mountains out of molehills from petty squabbles, airing their dirty laundry, then I'm not going to give them an inch - and I think we've been too kind in the face of their bullshit.
Hear, fucking hear!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Al Stefanelli wrote:Trigger Warning: Wanker Alert

[spoiler]http://wcoa.info/apwin.jpg[/spoiler]
Winning?

[youtube]9QS0q3mGPGg[/youtube]

Outwest

Post by Outwest »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Ana Kasparian responds to Tf00ts video.

Wow, looks like he could get himself an invite to the Young Turks show!
ONFG! She's wearing PINK! The Skepchicks/FTB'ers will have something to say about her not presenting the proper image to girls/young women.

lost control

Post by lost control »

nippletwister wrote:Strongly bad tasting water will affect any food that has that water in it. I can tell when the ice cubes in my Coke are too chlorinated or have residual sulfur from the environment. Of course, enough spice or strong flavor can hide some of the defect, but if there is a lot of water and not enough flavor, it won't fully do the job.

I fail to understand how this could really affect a decent food service business though, as extra water filtration, if needed, is cheap as hell these days and widely available, and even the crappiest local tap water can be easily treated to the point that it tastes like clean mountain spring water, unless the shop owners are just cheap bastards.

As far as bagels specifically, the "water issue" seems to be an urban legend to promote a myth of NY food superiority, as far as I can find with google. Such claims are quite common in the food industry, and in most cases are as stupid as they are common.
Well, IMO, any food / drink that needs a lot of water is affected if the water quality sucks. Most prominently: beer. There's gotta be at least a somewhat valid reason why my country's breweries boast in marketing materials about the high quality of their (exclusive to them) wells. Sure, marketing, but one actually tastes a difference, even in tea. (While the water around here is great, the tea leave mixture I use suffers in taste from the missing of lower quality water where my relatives live. Weird, but I guess some chemistry might be involved, they perfected it according to their water, and the water around here just isn't right for the leaves in a way.) And yeah, bread does tend to be better when all of it's ingredients are of high quality. Especially sourdough. I don't know about bagels though. They're rather foreign to me. Still, why use ingredients of lesser quality? I guess higher quality will ease the burden on the cook/baker/...
(Sure, I might be fine without Kobe, but still, only yesterday the restaurant we mostly eat at changed their menu to something completely different cause some of the beef they had smelled weird. The kitchen's fine, but as it happened already when that dish was on the last time, we're now suspecting some issues at the source. Seriously, the other time my meat was ok, but the slices my colleague got served smelled fucking aweful, even though it was clearly not foul.)

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Altair wrote:
another lurker wrote:Al Stefanelli wrote:
Ha, thanks! That was Halloween about two years ago, maybe three. I was a pimp, she was my 'ho.' Her idea, by the way. I wanted to go as an electrical outlet. Lmfao.
Oh man. I can see A+ heads exploding now. A PIMP AND AH O!!! MISOGYNIST111!!!111!!!!
And it was HER idea! Al is a master brainwasher who has forced her to internalize society's rampant misogyny. Or maybe she's a cool person with a sense of humor, who knows ;)
Hmm, hard to say.
Al Stefanelli's racist hat is a sophisticated brainwashing device. No "manchurian candidate' here folks. Nope. Al creates the 'misogynist candidate'. All part of his master plan!

lost control

Post by lost control »

16bitheretic wrote:
decius wrote: If Peezus and some gamers don't like the genre, they can as well stay the fuck out and stop attributing magic properties to a subject, once it breaks out the screen and it is turned into a three-dimensional object, which is substantial identical to its virtual counterparts.
I'm not necessarily keen on taking PZ's side on that statue, but I will say that I can't imagine anyone with any taste whatsoever having that. The thing has been nearly universally ridiculed or responded to with a "WTF is this shit?" style response on every gaming site/blog I've seen mention and show it. Just to draw a comparison, I myself loved the movie Devil's Rejects, and laughed quite hard when the woman wearing the mask made of her husband's face got pancaked across the road by the semi, but I don't think I'd want a replica of the scene sitting as a decoration in my house. That'd be a total "WTF?"

The general response I've seen to this Dead Island thing leads me to believe they'll rethink selling that statue with the game rather soon.
My sense of taste may be fucked up, but I want that. So hard. Seriously it's awesome. Union Jack bikini. Slender. With Gore.

Actually, I'd rather have the original's tits on it, and aesthetically, the original "belly" suits my tastes more, too.

Then again, when I did my stint in an operating room, as soon as the first cauterization happend (especially around 9 o'clock, due to not having had breakfast and mostly missing lunch as that was a rather busy time) I noticed that I was fucking hungry. Fuck me, but the smell of burned human abdominal fat reminded me of eating. It was the smell, highly porky, I always longed for food that was prepared in porky pork fat, sadly our operating room diet consisted mostly of rolls with honey, jam and similar...
No, I'm not SimpleFlower, but damn, to me the smell was the same as some traditional foods which came out of more agricultural areas. Weird, but tasty.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Another misogynist, no doubt, getting what he deserved:

"KIRO-TV
EVERETT, Wash. — A 50-year-old Everett woman is accused of smothering her boyfriend by lying on his face.
Witnesses said the woman had her chest on the victim’s face, a Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office document said.
Deputies said they were called to the Airport Inn trailer park at 12:45 a.m. Saturday for a report of a disturbance where medics were performing CPR on a 51-year-old man.
Medics took the man to Swedish Hospital in Edmonds, where he was pronounced dead.
Police said that in addition to the victim, a man and three women were at the scene, all who were heavily intoxicated.
One of the women, Donna Lange, lived in the mobile home with the victim, a police report said.
Witnesses said during the evening at the couple’s mobile home, there were two incidents in which they heard the couple arguing, and in one incident, they saw Lange throwing down her boyfriend in the back of the mobile home and the victim was heard telling Lange to get off of him, police documents said.
Deputies said witnesses told them Lange was later found on top of the victim, with her chest on his face.
A deputy later photographed what appeared to be hair in the victim’s hand that was the same color as Lange’s hair, police said.
Lange appeared to have a recent injury to her face and the victim had appeared to have recent injuries to his hands and face, the police report said.
Deputies were told by one witness that the victim may have had a heart condition, but when a deputy interviewed another witness, she said, “She (Donna Lange) smothered him to death,” the document said.
Deputies said they interviewed Lange, who they said appeared to be intoxicated, at the hospital, where she denied knowing anything about how the victim died.
Police documents also noted the size difference between Lange and the victim. Documents indicated the victim was 5 feet 7 inches tall and weighed about 175 pounds, and Lange is 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs 192 pounds, documents said.
Police recommended that Lange be charged with second-degree manslaughter."

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/national ... est/nTxGr/

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

SenorBeagle wrote:
BannedAid wrote:Admittedly, the first time I saw the phrase "lady-science," I figured she meant science strong enough for a man, but pH-balanced for a woman.
Catching up, and apologies if anyone's done this already, but I couldn't help myself...
Lady Science For Her.jpg
Same bottle, but it has BOOBEHS on it...

SenorBeagle

Post by SenorBeagle »

I screwed up the quoting, that as replying to you, Altair!

Parge

Post by Parge »

LMU wrote:
Parge wrote:
welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
welch wrote: I'm racist. I fucking hate honkies.
One of them self-hating crackers.
I'm not racist, but honkies should all be in camps.
I went to honkey camp when I was a kid. I learned how to make a lanyard.
I just noticed your trouble with tribbles avatar and it's forced me to ask myself a difficult question: are tribbles racist?
Probably not. But they're probably sexist. I mean look at that. Quintessential Kirk. He's buried in interstellar muff!

Altair

Post by Altair »

New post by Ophelia, regarding Sarah Mayhew's recent tweet
Sarah Mayhew wrote: If a retired US AirForce Col. who pioneered as one of the 1st female pilot and flight surgeons voices critique about your feminism, listen.
http://www.freezepage.com/1358371694HQOCODEJUA
Benson wrote: I do (as I have repeatedly said) admire Hall a lot for the pioneering. But it doesn’t follow that I have to agree with her “critique about my feminism.” I don’t agree with it, and that’s partly because I think she is making her own pioneering the standard for others, and that that’s a seriously bad idea. Here’s why.
I tend to agree with her that she doesn't have to agree with what Hall says, but the reasons she gives are ... well, stupid.
People shouldn’t have to overcome barriers that shouldn’t be there in the first place.

That’s all. People who do overcome barriers are admirable, yes, but it doesn’t follow that everyone should be admirable in that way, if the barriers are human creations that are not necessary and are in fact retrograde and unjust.

(...)

And most people don’t want to put up with a bunch of shit. The trouble with the cult of the hero is that it makes not wanting to put up with a bunch of shit seem cowardly or weak or self-indulgent – just less than what the heroic people do. That’s wrong.

(...)

No. Just no. Hall needs to be very wary of the idea that because she put up with a bunch of shit, other women should just shut up and take it. No, we shouldn’t. We should unite our voices in saying “remove the shit.” The shit is one of the preventable obstacles that Hall mentioned, and we need to get it out of the way. Women shouldn’t have to be hazed as a condition of entry into philosophy or math or computer science or gaming…or skepticism or atheism
So, it's back to that poster floating around that says "Feminists, tough until things get difficult", or something like that.

It sounds like she wants to be an activist until she actually has to do something. Overcoming barriers and limitations is too fucking hard, it's better to just sit up and cry and yell for others to "remove the shit". People like that is why the term slacktivist was coined.

There should be no barriers, for anyone, but if there are, something has to be done to eliminate them. It's not enough to sit down like a special snowflake and wait for others to remove them.
Or, if, like some of us, you are not made to be an activist (not everyone has the same personality traits that are required for that), don't complain or yell about the people who are getting shit done. Do what you can, and let those who can do more do their thing.

And what was it that Hall said that's so disagreeable?
Hall wrote: I think it is unreasonable to expect that equal numbers of men and women will be attracted to every sphere of human endeavor. Science has shown that real differences exist. We should level the playing field and ensure there are no preventable obstacles, then let the chips fall where they may.”
That's the quote to what Ophelia answers "No. Just no. Hall needs to be very wary of the idea that because she put up with a bunch of shit, other women should just shut up and take it. No, we shouldn’t".

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see Hall saying that other women should just shut up and take it. She's saying exactly what many other brave heroes have been saying all along, that in the absence of obstacles that can be determined by evidence, there is no reason to expect a 50/50 distribution of men and women.

lost control

Post by lost control »

Mark Neil wrote:Next we'll see you playing the victim, and flouncing because I'm supposedly not being reasonable. I responded to you.
No, we won't. JCW won't play a victim, and won't be flouncing.

For some weird reason, even Justicar managed a sort of flouncing from the pit, but then again, he seems more comfortable youtubing. And his can't stop laughing vid is awesome. While I kinda miss those spats, I'm happy Justicar still does his thing. Don't I still owe him a (at least metaphorical?) blow job. No, please don't go through the back logs.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Parge wrote:
LMU wrote:
I just noticed your trouble with tribbles avatar and it's forced me to ask myself a difficult question: are tribbles racist?
Probably not. But they're probably sexist. I mean look at that. Quintessential Kirk. He's buried in interstellar muff!
But don't all tribbles hate klingons? I think those tribbles might need racist hats.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

fascination wrote:About "Monopad Man" (I won't put his real name here as I feel that he has suffered enough from this IMO), he was a well known TAM attendee and former Jref forum member. From my understanding, he is somewhere on the Autism spectrum. I know that Watson called him "creepy" on FB while they were trying to drag his name through the mud. However, there is a picture of a Skepchick with him in a humorous pose on a very popular anti Watson blog. They look like they were friendly and on good terms. Although, this particular Skepchick wasn't Watson.
I am not aware of Ashley Miller being involved in this incident. The women who were involved have never been publicly named as far as I am aware of( there were two).
I dunno about contestant #2 but Lee was fairly open about http://www.skepticalabyss.com/?p=31]wha ... xperienced.

Parge

Post by Parge »

LMU wrote:
Parge wrote:
LMU wrote:
But don't all tribbles hate klingons? I think those tribbles might need racist hats.
Jesus! The internet will provide:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2664/3715 ... 5b7a99.jpg

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Buffoonery! Try this link instead:
http://www.skepticalabyss.com/?p=31

Parge

Post by Parge »

I'm happy that I didn't squander my 100th post. Racist tribble hat. I hope that Flickr account doesn't belong to someone here. Has this gem appeared here before?

LMU

Post by LMU »

Parge wrote:[spoiler]
LMU wrote:
Parge wrote:
LMU wrote:
Jesus! The internet will provide:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2664/3715 ... 5b7a99.jpg[/spoiler]
Awesome! Thank you! And good point about the sexism. Tribbles are all female right? Look at how they objectify that human male!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

franc wrote:[spoiler]
Rystefn wrote:Awww... Poor Franc. Project much?
The difference between a protopunk riding on the laurels of past generations, preening himself in the mirror, marvelling at his own penis and cleverness and -

me.

I do.

Rystefn talks about doing.

What a hero. 90's alt.flame. Any more and his brain breaks.

I'd suck you off if your mohawk was any more than a glossy magazine cover. It's not. Rystefn, you are typhos.

You stuck your dick in a pudgy pink thing. How foul. And it's your merit badge.[/spoiler]

You can admit it franc. You're amongst friends.

He turns you on. Doesn't he.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Ophelia tries a drive-by aciding of Sara Mayhew and Harriet Hall only for Mayhew to turn up in the comments:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -too-high/

whereupon she gets nastily attacked by the house misogynist, Spokesgay, and some other idiot.

http://i.imgur.com/s052f.jpg

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

welch wrote:The thing i love is just how closely they monitor this site, just so they can complain how we're bullying them. Because we...make them come here?

Anyway...I bet right now that before the week is out, we'll see posts and comments and tweets et al about how OMG JUSTIN VACULA WANTS TO SNEAK INTO OUR CONFERENCE or WELCH IS GOING TO SNEAK IN.

Well, probably not me, i'm not all that important to them. Which i'm fine with.

Look at the reaction from Mr. Hensley (yes, I know, it's deliberate) about my idle poking at the idea of submitting a session to TAM. All of a sudden, i'm trying to "break into public speaking." That's a hoot, since i've been doing it for, well, this year will be my 14th year (we had some unexpected openings in Mac IT, so I'm doing a session on migrating to Google Apps for Enterprise.) But when you think your world is the end all and be all of everything, you make those silly assumptions. (I ignore Wachs' similar comments. She's an idiot, I refuse to take anything she says seriously until she stops being an idiot.)

But manipulating the narrative is so important, and making sure the enemies list is properly refreshed is so critical to how they work that they have to do this. Any one sane reading my comments would realize that it was idle musing. I may do it, I may not. But it was in the context of "how to stop New Media Douchebags from dominating things you don't want them to dominate". i.e. "if you dislike the current crop of speakers, do some work and replace them with better options. Even if that means you." However, since they know that most of their followers will never read anything themselves, or at best glance at it. There's no chance of them getting a lot of pushback from that end. They also know that they've got people, at least for now, cowed into being unwilling to publicly oppose them, although Shermer's essay might accelerate changes in that area.

So they keep on keepin' on, because there's no consequences for them. PeeZus /Ophelia et al want to misrepresent people? There's no harm in it for them. No consequences.

The best way to change that is to push them out of the spotlight. It's not like FTB as a site is doing well, given none of the clots in charge there know fuck all about making money from websites. If the people writing there aren't planning on where they can move their blogs after it shuts down, they're a little naive. It's also not like they really have that much power, unless people give it to them. As I've said before, it's not easy, but it's doable. If you're involved with groups that put on things like FreeOK does, encourage them to use local talent instead of names. If that means you have to do more grunt work to market the event, so be it. Hie thee to the streets and do-ist thine own work.

For example, there's a kid in Louisiana, Zack Kopplin, who is not only writing angry blog posts about OMG CREATIONISTS,he's actually doing real work to get that shit fixed. Everyone was all glowy about Jessica Alquist, well, here's another example. He's actually helping state legislators write and introduce bills to repeal shit like LESA, and he's local to a BUNCH of states in the south and southeast.

Fuck PeeZus and the rest, get Zack Kopplin to talk. He'd be a great person for various atheist/skeptic events.

There are lots of people, of all ages and genders and backgrounds like Zack. They aren't getting book deals and free trips to Australia, but then again, they're actually doing stuff. If LESA gets repealed, no one at FTB, A+, or Skepchicks will have fuck all anything to do with it. It will be because of people like Zack and Eugenie Scott and others who spend a lot of time and effort to get shit done. THOSE are the people who should be talking, and they are everywhere.

The best, the best way to make the entire FTB/A+/Skepchicks problem go the fuck away is to replace them with people who are actually getting things done.

I don't agree with everything I've read from you, but when you repeat messages like this, I know you "get it". And I don't mean "get it" as in accepting spurious claims about hidden social forces, but as in how people actually work and how to maintain some intellectual honesty in the face of political backlash and other bullshit. I have to say, I find you more inspiring as a skeptic/freethinker than I found PZ even back in '05, before he went fully on the authoritarian trip he's on now.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Altair, they seem to not like the way Sara Mayhew dresses.

Josh, Official SpokesGay: Personal drama? Drama blogging? From a preening narcissist like you, that’s rich.

Reminds me of: http://images.wikia.com/phawrongula/ima ... mayhew.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Altair wrote: TL;DR version: Carrier is a fucking racist and I have found more racism in his posts and in other FTB posts than in the SlymePit.

But. But. We have racist hats. Surely that has to count for something.

Altair

Post by Altair »

masakari2012 wrote:Altair, they seem to not like the way Sara Mayhew dresses.

Josh, Official SpokesGay: Personal drama? Drama blogging? From a preening narcissist like you, that’s rich.

That makes sense. I googled her name and ended up visiting her Facebook page. Looking at her pictures I can imagine they find her too feminine, maybe thinking she dresses and act like that to get male attention.

(I'm not saying I think that or that's why she does it, I'm trying to imitate the FTB thought process. I actually think that Sarah Mayhew is very pretty, which hopefully won't be interpreted by the thought police as me objectifying her or only caring about her looks and not her ideas.)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

John Brown wrote:It's been my experience that the people who talk loudest about "class" and "race" are some of the most classist, racist people I've ever run across.
So, following that line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, Rystefn is a virgin.

KarlVonMox

Post by KarlVonMox »

Ophelia:
I disagreed with that; Mayhew apparently thinks I should not disagree, on the grounds that Hall pioneered as one of the first female pilot and flight surgeons. She thinks I should instead “listen” and having listened, agree or obey. (I already had “listened,” obviously, or I wouldn’t have known what she said, and thus couldn’t have disagreed with it.)
Thats rich - kinda like every time we disagree with PZ or Becky Watson or Ophelia we are accused of "not listening" due to our "privilege" and told we should simply agree and obey. More unmitigated hypocrisy.

Really, I would say that if barriers do exist for women to excel in any field or position, the best way to break down those barriers is to act as if they don't exist and reach for the top. You know, actually embracing action rather than writing a blog and bitching every waking moment. That way you set an example for others - far more effective way of catalyzing change.

Altair

Post by Altair »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Altair wrote: TL;DR version: Carrier is a fucking racist and I have found more racism in his posts and in other FTB posts than in the SlymePit.

I don't see any hat on your head, anteater guy :lol:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

lost control wrote:
Gumby wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:How many open-shirted, gold chain wearing disco clowns do they need to be reminded of?
I'm thinking just one:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 82f4e1.jpg

*runs*

How Phil manages to look anything like a mean, bad ass metal head is beyond me, I've got the impression he's quite the cuddly type.
(I remember the kitten on the shoulder avatar)

Nice promo shot, Phil.
That is a very cool shot, I just had to poke fun at him.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Look out everyone, there's a new SkepChick in town: http://skepchick.org/2013/01/ninja-infi ... skepchick/

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Altair wrote:

That makes sense. I googled her name and ended up visiting her Facebook page. Looking at her pictures I can imagine they find her too feminine, maybe thinking she dresses and act like that to get male attention.

(I'm not saying I think that or that's why she does it, I'm trying to imitate the FTB thought process. I actually think that Sarah Mayhew is very pretty, which hopefully won't be interpreted by the thought police as me objectifying her or only caring about her looks and not her ideas.)
I can only assume that they hate Gloria Steinem. And yeah, Sara Mayhew is quite pretty!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KiwiInOz wrote:
franc wrote:[spoiler]
Rystefn wrote:Awww... Poor Franc. Project much?
The difference between a protopunk riding on the laurels of past generations, preening himself in the mirror, marvelling at his own penis and cleverness and -

me.

I do.

Rystefn talks about doing.

What a hero. 90's alt.flame. Any more and his brain breaks.

I'd suck you off if your mohawk was any more than a glossy magazine cover. It's not. Rystefn, you are typhos.

You stuck your dick in a pudgy pink thing. How foul. And it's your merit badge.[/spoiler]

You can admit it franc. You're amongst friends.

He turns you on. Doesn't he.

[youtube]BnuR3y8HUm8[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Metalogic42 wrote:Look out everyone, there's a new SkepChick in town: http://skepchick.org/2013/01/ninja-infi ... skepchick/
Frequent mentions of alcohol, Surly Amy dog-tag, factory standard hipster glasses-- Its like theyre all the same person.

*yawn*

Spence

Post by Spence »

welch wrote:Fucking Honkies and their lanyards.
Cracker traitor. Chill honky. etc. /ftb

Oh, and couldn't agree with you more on the points you made about relationships as well.

FAO Windy: I did start a reply but it got too long and boring and I got called away on other things (far too busy at the moment), but I think pandora's comment is a good middle ground. It makes it clear she is making a choice. I also note she appears to distance herself from the word obligation - the phrase in a way, and the use of quotes. I looked up obligation on answers.com to formalise a definition. It has 6 definitions, of which 5 imply some sort of duty or compulsion. Exactly what I was uncomfortable with. There is a get out though - the sixth definition does not refer to duty or compulsion, but a "feeling of indebtedness". To me, those are weird terms to couch a relationship in. I do these things because I want to and enjoy them, not from a feeling of indebtedness. But I realise not everyone is me. YMMV.

Oh and just managed to make my computer run out of memory. Apparently, a quarter of a terabyte of RAM is not enough. Grrr.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ERV wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:Look out everyone, there's a new SkepChick in town: http://skepchick.org/2013/01/ninja-infi ... skepchick/
Frequent mentions of alcohol, Surly Amy dog-tag, factory standard hipster glasses-- Its like theyre all the same person.

*yawn*
Ya gotta love the way she infiltrated was by way of alcohol. One of Becky's favs ;)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Altair wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... 4xZt4AE6lw

You are obviously prejudiced against people like me who are photoshop-challenged.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

ERV wrote:

*yawn*
You've got some corporate espionage to do. They've mastered cloning.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Altair wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... 4xZt4AE6lw

You are obviously prejudiced against people like me who are photoshop-challenged.
If you want it:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 15e7b8.jpg

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Y'know, I wouldn't mind a hat, if anyone has the time.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Metalogic42 wrote:Y'know, I wouldn't mind a hat, if anyone has the time.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 4ce670.jpg

Spence

Post by Spence »

Reminds me of Josh's train wreck response to Cara Santa Maria.

linky (trigger warning: goes to fuckthoughtblahgs)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Aint nobody gonna call me anteater guy again with this titfer.

I'm gonna command me some R E S P E C T.

(Awesome, thanks Gumby)

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Dilurk wrote:It would be best if both sides here took a charitable view here. Ok so Ophelia godwin'ed I'll take her at her word that it was not meant that way. But then Ophelia should be willing to accept Shermer did not mean a godwin either. What's good for the goose is good for the gander as they say.

Can we both just move on? It's a waste of time.
Don't care what Benson meant. I'll grant that it's unlikely she meant to pull a Godwin, but then all she had to do was admit that she had unintentionally done so through with her piss-poor writing. Being Ophelia though, she chose to torture logic trying to deny it.
You know. I'd even grant it to her because she did retract it. However I am pissed off that she chooses to label us all as 'slymepitters'' as if we all agreed with each other. We are more like slymecats we all have a different view. Ophelia, I know you read here. We are not all the same, why we even disagree with each other.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Dilurk wrote: We are not all the same, why we even disagree with each other.
No we don't.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tigzy wrote:
Want another good example of Dr Carrier's racism? How about this:
Richard Carrier

August 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm (UTC -8)

Douchebag is not a sexist word.

Making enemies of douchebags is necessary.

And my dick is of exactly average size for a Caucasian male.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/arc ... ment-20576

BTW - the 'Dark Lord of the Sith' calling him out on it in the subsequent comments is me. I figured I'd go with a Star Wars nym theme that day, owing to Carrier's assertion that those not with his particular brand of Good Atheism are part of 'the darkside'.
Ahem....

It was the woo master carrier's star wars fantasy (casting himself as luke no doubt) that generated my sith alter ego, it was upon deep reflection of the intellectual artillery master's words that i was infact beyond contempt that i looked deep into the force, embraced the dark side which consumed me and turned my fish stick red.

[youtube]493ljyoox6o[/youtube]

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Awesome, thanks Gumby!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

KiwiInOz wrote:
No we don't.
Do too, put a sock in it anteater.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Spence wrote:

Making fun of someone's appearance rather than their arguments is pretty low in my books. That goes for everyone and I know some of us on here aren't innocent either. But then again, we aren't a group think forum. You are free to disagree. Didn't I just point that out to Olivia Benson?

fascination

Post by fascination »

d4m10n wrote:Buffoonery! Try this link instead:
http://www.skepticalabyss.com/?p=31
Thanks for the link!

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Mykeru wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
No we don't.
Don't be such a

[spoiler]bonehead[/spoiler]

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Mykeru wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
No we don't.
Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
No we don't.
Shut your festering gob, you tit! Your type really makes me puke, you vacuous, coffee-nosed, maloderous, pervert!!!
This is an insult, just in case anybody mistakes this for an argument.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
No we don't.
Why, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings.

skepCHUD

The Periodic Table's Younger, Sexier, Sibling Thread...

Post by skepCHUD »

"He turns you on. Doesn't he."

How could franc not lust for a dude that looks like a beakless Woody Woodpecker and can drive 6 inch nails into solid teak with his hardon?

fascination

Post by fascination »

Does anyone know what Noelplum's latest video "Dramagate" was about? Apparently some drama on You Tube with BionicDance? I would link to his video but he doesn't give any real hints.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Aint nobody gonna call me anteater guy again with this titfer.

I'm gonna command me some R E S P E C T.

(Awesome, thanks Gumby)
Metalogic42 wrote:Awesome, thanks Gumby!
No problem. I have plenty of hats.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Dilurk wrote:[spoiler]
Spence wrote:

[/spoiler]

Making fun of someone's appearance rather than their arguments is pretty low in my books. That goes for everyone and I know some of us on here aren't innocent either. But then again, we aren't a group think forum. You are free to disagree. Didn't I just point that out to Olivia Benson?
It's the way they're trying to depict Sara, the fact that Josh used the word "preening", and Amy's tweet made Sara sound like a woman takes extra care in dressing. Doesn't Sara have the right to dress the way she wants, or is she supposed to follow Skepchick/FTB's code of dressing? I thought women could dress however they want, though these feminists seem to have issues with it. That's the underlying point.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

ERV wrote:

*yawn*
Don't forget social 'science'! Beacuse teh patriarchy is always the answer.