Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Old subthreads
BarnOwl

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by BarnOwl »

Karmakin wrote: But I do have sympathy for these people. As I've said before, in the SJW movement you're either a predator or you're prey. Maybe I'm too much of a softie...and I probably am. But that's how I feel.
I agree with you regarding some of the SJW as prey, and I do have sympathy for some of them. In the early days of the A+ forums, I read one particular thread because I was interested to know what kinds of social justice activism projects they might have organized. I was not being my often cynical self, honestly, and the thread that caught my eye was one about knitting and crochet projects for charity. I'm a knitter and crocheter myself, and about 10% of my output is for charity - Duduza dolls for HIV/AIDS orphans, Red Scarf project, blankets for shelter dogs and cats, etc. - could do better, but I'm a selfish cow and I also like to make gifts for friends and family.

Anyhoo, the thread was really nice, and several of the participants were posting photos of the projects they'd knitted or crocheted for charities. Im totally on board with that kind of SJ activism. But many of the posters seemed like very, very fragile individuals. I recognize the phenotype from some of the people who post on Ravelry: very sweet and kind, best intentions, generous with what little they have, but fragile. Definitely prey. I'd considered posting in the A+ thread to share photos of some of my charity projects and some free patterns that they might like, but decided against it. That was pretty much the only thread I could have contributed to at the A+ forums, and I think it would have been taken the wrong way if I'd decided to join.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Tkmlac wrote: One thing I haven't perfected in my new venture into tea is biscuits. How do I pick a good biscuit? I'm a US American, is there any hope for me?
McVities Rich Tea
That is all
(well at a push u could go Digestive or Hobnob (oooer missus) but they don't really count)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Just read the thread about sending Justin to WIS over at Vacula's blog. I don't like Julian but I actually fear that the guy is on the verge of a mental breakdown. And Ellenbeth Wachs is a hot mess isn't she? How this credulous, immature and petty individual was placed in a leadership position of a skeptics' organization is a real mystery.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Louis wrote:
I'm going to ask you all a question now, a very simple one. Here is Michael Shermer (someone I admire and enjoy the works of very much) saying something that caused consternation:
“It’s who wants to stand up and talk about it, go on shows about it, go to conferences and speak about it, who’s intellectually active about it, you know, it’s more of a guy thing”
Do any of you think that statement is sexist?

How about this:
“It’s who wants to stand up and talk about it, go on shows about it, go to conferences and speak about it, who’s intellectually active about it, you know, it’s more of a white thing”
Do any of you think that is statement racist?

I've changed one single word. The logic, the sense is identical. I've only changed the target. Note, I am NOT asking "do you think Michael Shermer is an evil sexist slimebag who should be put to death in a Feminazi Retraining Camp" I am asking (effectively) if the guy made a simple mistake, just like anyone can do, and make a sexist utterance? It's no great shakes, there's no "gotcha" at the end. Although I'd be really interested if anyone thinks the first one is not sexist and the second one is racist, that would be worthy of examination.

Cheers.
Louis,

Thanks for returning. Not that it likely matters to you, but I was not impressed with your initial pass through the forum. Seeing your posts today is causing me to reconsider that opinion quite a bit. I would also add that I think you are doing a pretty good job of maintaining mostly level headed coherence in a complex, multifaceted conversation, possibly better than I would have done in similar circumstances. So, niceties out of the way, I would like to touch on only two points that you presented. Others are addressing most of the others, from what I can see in my quick skim - hopefully to your satisfaction.

First, the quotes presented, as stand alone comments, are meaningless. As you have said in many of your own responses - context matters. Both of the statements offered are structured such that they need the context of the surrounding conversation to comprise a coherent statement. To the first, I would answer an emphatic 'NO'. But here I have the advantage of knowing the context of that conversation, having watched the presentation and having read the transcript. The second statement I can't offer an opinion, because there is no context to associate it with. For the sake of discussion, lets assume that Shermer was speaking to the lack of minority participation at conventions rather than women (which may have been your intent anyway). Given that context, I would also answer 'NO, it is not a racist remark.' The reason simply being that even a casual observation will indicate the statement is a true observation of reality. There are far fewer minority attendees that white attendees at skeptic/atheist conferences. Unfortunately, when dealing with inherently touchy and hair-trigger topics such as these, casual language (inherent cultural aspects there-in, which you reference elsewhere) will trip you up if not careful, especially when there is a particular group of vultures waiting exactly for that slip up and who are perfectly willing, eager even, to build a large mountain out of that molehill. This is obviously what happened in Shermer's case (BTW - like you I am a fan).

Second, you made the following observation
"In my opinion, you can tell a huge amount about a culture/group from their comedy. From what jokes they tell each other. For me, the best jokes don't "punch down" power gradients, they "punch up". So satirising people in power, that kind of thing, those are the things I find funniest. The court jester mocking the king, the slave in Caesar's ear telling him he's just a man, that sort of deal. Jokes that punch down power gradients are rarely, in my experience, distinguishable from outright bigotry, there's usually something nasty curdling away underneath and it's usually fairly easy to expose."
I don't think I've seen this concept presented anywhere prior to this, but it is logical and very relevent. The Pyt, as you no doubt have come to quickly realize, is a bit of a chaotic free-for-all. Quality of the comments and contributions cover the full gamut of terrible to brilliant. Mixed in with all that is plenty of off-color and not always relevent commentary. A lot of people just cannot adapt to this sort of freewheeling structure. Beyond that, however, is your "punch up" gradient observation. This is what the Pyt is for, and its target is FtB/Skepchic/A+. What makes it interesting, at least one aspect of it anyway, is that the Pyt is to FtB as FtB was once to Creationists. The small, annoying, loud critic railing against the bigger, more established power structure that is its target. Is it effective? I would have to say yes, but if you've hung around here long enough, you will know that even that gets worked over pretty thoroughly here. You would have to go back to the reasons the pyt was started in the first place to fully appreciate the history and reasoning behind it. It will also become apparent that not everyone here agrees on even that topic!

Someone recently posted a link to a blog post/letter 'to the pit' that did a great job of explaining this. I've lost the link, but hopefully someone else can provide it.

That's pretty much it for me, already more verbose than intended. Hopefully it was a worthwhile addition to the conversation.

AnotherLurker

Post by AnotherLurker »

VickyCaramel wrote:I could cause so much mischief over there if I had the energy. So many egos, so much paranoia!
I just now read this, and realized: we think alike, milady.

Oh how much evil could I do, if I wasn't as lazy as Greta Christina. You see, I'm more swamped than usual... had to go to the post office today (really, to send some docs over), etc...

codelette

Post by codelette »

Good news, everyone! I found a great tour for Dick Carrier. Such a great way to visit ethnic neighborhoods!
[youtube]8M81WtBGhO8[/youtube]

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

BarnOwl wrote:
Karmakin wrote: But I do have sympathy for these people. As I've said before, in the SJW movement you're either a predator or you're prey. Maybe I'm too much of a softie...and I probably am. But that's how I feel.
I agree with you regarding some of the SJW as prey, and I do have sympathy for some of them. In the early days of the A+ forums, I read one particular thread because I was interested to know what kinds of social justice activism projects they might have organized. I was not being my often cynical self, honestly, and the thread that caught my eye was one about knitting and crochet projects for charity. I'm a knitter and crocheter myself, and about 10% of my output is for charity - Duduza dolls for HIV/AIDS orphans, Red Scarf project, blankets for shelter dogs and cats, etc. - could do better, but I'm a selfish cow and I also like to make gifts for friends and family.

Anyhoo, the thread was really nice, and several of the participants were posting photos of the projects they'd knitted or crocheted for charities. Im totally on board with that kind of SJ activism. But many of the posters seemed like very, very fragile individuals. I recognize the phenotype from some of the people who post on Ravelry: very sweet and kind, best intentions, generous with what little they have, but fragile. Definitely prey. I'd considered posting in the A+ thread to share photos of some of my charity projects and some free patterns that they might like, but decided against it. That was pretty much the only thread I could have contributed to at the A+ forums, and I think it would have been taken the wrong way if I'd decided to join.
I have sympathy for a lot of them. It isn't as if being miserable and unhappy is a great way to go through life.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Mark Neil wrote:
Altair wrote: Twat and cunt, as prick and cock (and dick, I would add), could be considered sexist, since they do refer to a body part that belongs to a specific gender. It could be interpreted as saying that a cunt or a cock are bad things, and I think that was their original meaning, which is why I said I semi-agree.
I don't see those words as sexist per say. In earlier times, sexuality in general was frowned apon. Sex, and thus the genitals, were a bad thing. This applied to both sexes. Hell, there were devices for stopping a boy having a nighttime erection. So I see it as no surprise the genitals were used as insults. But the fact is, both sexes had this done. It's not like the cunt was a bad thing but the dick was good. It is my understanding that, for something to be sexist, it must be treating one sex different from the other, and I don't see that in genital based insults.
Good point. If being a dick was something really good and being a cunt wasn't, they would have a better argument. :clap:

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Louis wrote:To the best of my knowledge, and please present evidence to the contrary, no one is stopping anyone from arguing over anything within the atheist community. You might find yourself unwelcome at this blog or that blog, just like I might, but I think the actual censorship you are claiming is non-existent. I also think it's non-existent or exceedingly rare that, for example, some group or person is banned from any and all conferences and venues. Who is stopping you from going to CFI conferences or some big atheist conference and arguing your case?
"“I want to do whatever it takes to make sure that he is essentially drummed out of this movement, never invited to speak anywhere again and is forever a pariah.” -Ed Brayton, regarding Thunderf00t
Now IF people are publicly identifying pseudonymous/anonymous posters and giving out their real life addresses, well that's fucking disgusting.
This happened yesterday, to acid-throwing-guy. I don't know whether the information revealed was accurate, but it was attempted.
IF people are editing people's posts to make them say something different, that's fucking disgusting.
[spoiler]http://i.imgur.com/vHmY0tH.jpg[/spoiler]
IF people are lying about people, that's fucking disgusting.
[spoiler]http://25.media.tumblr.com/e42ea133f564 ... 1_1280.png[/spoiler]
Simple answers to simple questions:

First two (brayton and doxxing) disgusting. Petty, playground shit. End of story. I might think Tfoot and Acid-throwing guy are fucking idiots, and in Tfoot's case a shark jumping obsessive sexist loonbag, but that's i-fucking-rrelevant. This is wrong, whoever does it.

Let me guess, next step is to go and shout it from the rooftops. Way ahead of you. Anyone who knows me knows I think this. I've never once changed my position on it.

Second two, no idea, need more context. If they taken at face value as your presentation value suggests, then sure, dis-fucking-gusting with double arsehole sauce. Like I said, a bit more context would help, forgive me if I don't trust anyone's version of events. I've seen too much partisan pissantery for my liking.

Oh and as for your other questions, I've actually answered them all already if you'd only look.
So since you don't appear to have said anything against PeeZus equating us all with Marc Lepine, you had no problem with that claim?

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

katamari Damassi wrote:Just read the thread about sending Justin to WIS over at Vacula's blog. I don't like Julian but I actually fear that the guy is on the verge of a mental breakdown. And Ellenbeth Wachs is a hot mess isn't she? How this credulous, immature and petty individual was placed in a leadership position of a skeptics' organization is a real mystery.
Wachs deserves credit for going to Justin's blog to engage with him and sticking around to talk to a whole bunch of people there. Not many would do that.

LMU

Re: BoobquakeVille

Post by LMU »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
welch wrote:[spoiler]
Apples wrote:
Flewellyn wrote:And, frankly, despite the fact that your source is guilty of betraying everyone's trust, and putting some of our members at risk of serious harm, while the most you can claim on those of us who used the private forum is that we didn't invite you. Do you see the problem?

Come clean, wind. We have.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1575

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe ... anding.jpg

Like I said, we don't need to know what goes on in the private forum. The public shit is so awesome on its own.[/spoiler]
You know they're going nuts in the private bit trying to find out who the mole is. Maybe the poe is finally breaking cover.
Actually given how vague wind's initial accusations were, is it possible that they were serious when they said they were just guessing about the secret forum? Nobody believed Richard Feynman either.

AbsurdWalls

Re: BoobquakeVille

Post by AbsurdWalls »

LMU wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
welch wrote:[spoiler]
Apples wrote:
Flewellyn wrote:And, frankly, despite the fact that your source is guilty of betraying everyone's trust, and putting some of our members at risk of serious harm, while the most you can claim on those of us who used the private forum is that we didn't invite you. Do you see the problem?

Come clean, wind. We have.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1575

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexpe ... anding.jpg

Like I said, we don't need to know what goes on in the private forum. The public shit is so awesome on its own.[/spoiler]
You know they're going nuts in the private bit trying to find out who the mole is. Maybe the poe is finally breaking cover.
Actually given how vague wind's initial accusations were, is it possible that they were serious when they said they were just guessing about the secret forum? Nobody believed Richard Feynman either.
It's out now. Wind suspected for a while that there was a secret forum. Her suspicions were confirmed when she got a PM from a friend who didn't realise she didn't have access to the secret space. The PM was something like "People are gossiping about you in this thread, you might want to look."

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tidies and Fuglemen, I give you:

The Mildew Pit!

MadGav

Post by MadGav »

Delurking to winge about pet peev: I'm not a fan of 'diagnosis by internet' and, even in meat-space, personality disorder tends to be used as a perjorative label rather than an actual diagnosis.

It seems entirely appropriate to observe that someone is narcissistic or that you feel they have narcissistic personality traits, but bandying about labels like narcissistic or emotionally unstable, personality disorder merely sets you up for an invitation to share your qualifications or a discussion on the ethics of remote diagnosis.

YMMV but it feels like a handing a 'get out of jail free' card to whoever you're criticising.

Oh, and while I'm here, 'Hi pitters' - I'll go back to stealth mode again now in anticipation of my first 'fuck you'.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

This comment was posted by someone who has never commented here before. I'm told people at the mildew pit are ranting about calling the police on me for "threatening" Jerry Conlon because of this comment, which posted some biographical information about him. There was no address or phone number. Since the commenter is otherwise unknown, I suspect this was a trap. How cute. Conlon threatens me with an acid attack, I do not call the police, so the mildew people try to work up a pretext to call the police on me.
This is what's in place of the the comment doxxing acid throwing guy (bold mine). I'm assuming that Ophelia wrote this. What the fuck is she talking about? Did I miss something?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I see Ophelia is still on her "woe-is-me" schtick. She'll most likely ride this for all it's worth for the week then another FfTBer will pull something out of their ass and just keep the Pro-Vic ball rolling.

Turglemeister

Post by Turglemeister »

jimthepleb wrote:
Tkmlac wrote: One thing I haven't perfected in my new venture into tea is biscuits. How do I pick a good biscuit? I'm a US American, is there any hope for me?
McVities Rich Tea
That is all
(well at a push u could go Digestive or Hobnob (oooer missus) but they don't really count)
I would like to add Jaffa Cakes :D

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

This has probably been posted before but if anyone hasn't seen it, it's Steven Pinker on the meaning of swear words.

Strangely enought linguists, those who are acknowledged experts on the origins and meanings of words don't seem to have the same idea about the swear words that annoy the FTB crowd so much:

Part 1
[youtube]1BcdY_wSklo[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]yyNmGHpL11Q[/youtube]

Altair

Post by Altair »

Louis wrote:
Altair wrote:...demolished.

Again, thanks for posting a link to a specific event, I prefer to discuss things like this than talk about generalities.
Don't think I said demolished as it happens. Think I said "mostly dealt with". Looks like *I'm* going to have to do all the work myself doesn't it? Fuck a doodle doo.
Somehow I was expecting a longer response.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Altair wrote:
Louis wrote:
Altair wrote:...demolished.

Again, thanks for posting a link to a specific event, I prefer to discuss things like this than talk about generalities.
Don't think I said demolished as it happens. Think I said "mostly dealt with". Looks like *I'm* going to have to do all the work myself doesn't it? Fuck a doodle doo.
Somehow I was expecting a longer response.
I think Louis might get on well with Steerzo...

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Lsuoma wrote: I think Louis might get on well with Steerzo...
I was just thinking that Louis is what you would get if Steerzo and Oolon mated.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

:D So, I am just now reading the comments left on Justin Vacula's post regarding sending him to Women in Secularism 2. Julian Francisco says:
That Hendricks is one of his backers makes that even more plain as she's done nothing but shower contempt on any woman associated with WiSC.
and
Considering that Hendricks has actually called the type of feminism behind WiSC (and the feminism of many of its speakers) worthless (alongside other more personal and not so kind things) I think her role in this goes to my point.
and
Hendricks has literally called the feminism and practices of Melody Hensley, Watson and Benson worthless.
Really? I've asked Julian for proof. One YouTube video of mine talks about how I believe radical feminism sucks - so are they radical feminists? Other than my ramblings on my blog with regard to the extremes of today's feminism, I can't seem to locate *anything* that Julian says I've said.

If you guys find anything different, do let me know. When I'm wrong, I admit it and do it publicly.

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:Sorry for the delay, work was required to assuage my guilt. So now to 2).

(Does it show that the lab is shut for the day because of the snow {pa-fucking-thetic} and so I am stuck at home doing paperwork and trying like a motherfucker to procrastinate the day away and not do it? Don't worry, I'll do my work, I just thought a little fun with coffee might amuse me. Is that really such a sin?)

a) Poor presentation of pitter posters:

I can understand that if the Pitter Posters on Pharyngula (try saying that 3 times fast after 20 pints) are a self selecting bunch of arseholes, or if PZ and his Wicked Ways are making them look like arseholes when they are really paragons of virtue and wonder, then sure, GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). I'm not sure that I know if either is the case, or if something else is the case. I'm here aren't I? Believe it or not I'm willing to be convinced of a wide variety of things. I will confess that the majority of my...."welcome"....has been disappointingly dull, mostly pointless, and exactly what I would have expected if PZ's characterisation was correct. You might not like that, but hey, it's MY lived experience! ;-) (I did like that joke by the way! Who made it? I hope it was you, I laughed.)
When you know you're not going to be treated well on a site no matter what, there's little point in even trying. It's the main reason why I'll not even try to comment there. Given how execrably stupid PeeZus and the Commentariat were about Pepsi, and how often PeeZus makes claims sans evidence that you ( the commentariat) just bobblehead along to, may as well try to row a boat with a rope.
Louis wrote:Sorry, sorry, I'll be serious.

I'm here for my own benefit, to sate my curiosity. I saw some post about acid throwing on the side bar at FtB, clicked out of curiosity, read, posted something sarcastic, read PZ's post, thought to myself "I wonder if the pit people are really gloating away?" so I came for a look. I then went back to Pharyngula and posted some rambling comment, which I think I'll stand by for now, and deliberated about creating an account here under my real ID (can't be bothered with sock puppets) and see if my initial impressions were correct. So far....hmmm....they seem to be somewhat correct in some cases, not so much in others. Pretty much what any sensible person would have guessed, right?
You came in with a set of preconceive notions, and thanks to the wonder of confirmation bias, they were matched. How inexplicable.
Louis wrote:As for which 'pitters I have a low opinion of, which a higher opinion of, and the same question as applied to Pharynguloids, I won't say. Not because I'm afraid to, or above that, but because I think it is irrelevant and childish. I can do irrelevant and childish if I want to, but I don't want to. Is that really such a crime? Oh and I have fuck all clue about Renee or probably most of the gripes. Not because I'm some hideous blinkered fool, but simply because I don't have unlimited time/effort to expend on following every tiny thing in what I see (perhaps wrongly, perhaps rightly) as tiresome interblog drama. So I skip 90% of it. I am, however, exceedingly keen and willing to look at evidence. As opposed to being exceedingly NOT keen and willing to be vilified for not immediately sharing your party line upon entry...wait, isn't that another criticism you chaps and chappesses have of FtB? Oooops! Physicians heal thyselves it seems!
You are very keen and willing to demand and look at evidence...from us. From PeeZus, you seem perfectly willing to take whatever he says sans evidence at all. Funny that.
Louis wrote:I'd rather find out if this claim that 'pitters are horrendously caricatured by PZ et al is true for myself, best way to do that? Jump in and see. It might amaze you to know that, yes, whilst I am an Evil Horde Member Pharynguloid Wicked Person and All Round Bad Egg, and yes, whilst I like plenty of the posters that most upset many of you, I'm okay with deciding things for myself thanks. I haven't posted on Pharyngula about my Sooper Sekrit Mission To Convert Teh Heathens because that's not what this is, I'm satisfying my curiosity whether anyone wants to believe that or not. When that's done, we'll see. I might post again, I might not. It's not that big a deal to me. Sorry if that offends you for some reason. It's not that big a deal to me that some benighted fools like soccer not rugby or that they go to church. I really don't care. I do care if they tell me I should like soccer or die, or I should obey the strictures of their church in my private life. They're free to criticise me for being ignorant of the beautiful game (I am) or that I am, by their standards, a terrible wicked heathen (I am), that's the joy of free speech, they get to disagree with me and I with them.
"I came in to see if my preconceptions were right". Wow. That's pretty open-minded of you.
Louis wrote:Should I bold that last bit? I'm pretty sure, based on a number of posts from a variety of people that that point escapes a lot of folk here. Hell it escapes a lot of folk everywhere! It used to escape me until I had it beaten into me with a clue by four.
No, we're pretty clear about just how much smarter you are than all of us. You only had to tell us ten-twelve times or so. We get it. move on.
Louis wrote:b) ZOMG evil slymepitter and misrepresentations on FtB/wherever as being THE issue/muzzling of dissenting opinion/critique:

Since this seems closely tied to what ThreeFlangedJavis is talking about, I'll skip it for now and deal with it in that post.

c) PZ banning folks quickly/pre-emptively:

I don't have a blog and probably never will have one. I've helped moderate the odd message board in the dim and distant past, but work etc. Yadda yadda yadda. So my views on how to manage a million+ hits a whenever blog are probably not very insightful. Would I manage Pharyngula the same as PZ? Well *I* am not PZ, so trivially and obviously probably not. Do I like his particular policies? I think he's reasonably lenient in places, strict in others, to be frank it doesn't bother me. It doesn't affect me much because I'm unlikely to go on a racist/sexist/homophobic/trolling/creationist/whatever rant, i.e. I am unlikely to do the things he typically bans people for. But that's hardly the controversial bit now is it?

Do I support his blanket 'pitter ban? Yes, in the sense that it is his blog and he can do what the fuck he likes. No, in the sense that it probably wouldn't be how I would handle it, but then I don't know how I'd handle it, I've never been there. I don't look at a blog like someone's living room, or a wide open field where anyone can do whatever, I look at a blog rather like a pub. PZ is the landlord of the Pharyngula Tentacles (can't be Arms can it?). He gets to run his pub his way. If the majority of his punters were Manchester United fans (and remember I know nothing about soccer, so I am picking two teams with a local derby at random) and the majority of the Manchester City fans who came in were bothersome, or excited the more....intemperate....Manchester United fans who were regulars in the pub, I might ban openly obvious Man City fans. Just for some peace and fucking quiet and not having my pub bust up every two minutes. I sympathise with PZ a bit because he doesn't have a team of helpers to clean the shite of the ceiling in his blog, he's got a job, a family, a side-effort as a prominent public speaker etc, managing the blog is an added (voluntary) burden. I'm not worried about him managing it his way, posting what interests him (some of which intersects with what interests me) and going about his day.

Now PZ is not stopping anyone drinking in other pubs, he's not banning people from alcohol, he's not saying that other landlords and landladies cannot have Manchester City only pubs, or pubs where the fans mix or pubs dedicated to advanced lesbian basket weaving. He makes the rules for his pub.
Annnd point missed, no score, penalty for being deliberately obtuse. The problem is not that PeeZus has blanket bans, edits comments, what have you. As you point out, he has that right. What is galling about his behavior is how he, and the commentariat there, have for *years* bagged on creationist sites for the EXACT same behavior. When *they* ban opposing viewpoints, edit comments, etc., well, then that's just horrible behavior, how can they be so unethical FREEZE PEACH!!!!

But when *PZ* does it, well, that's just how he runs his blog and it's his choice, and you can't hardly ascribe maliciousness to that, right?

Here's what gets me...are you honestly this obtuse, or are you just so deep into FTB Fair Game that your pride won't let you back out?
Louis wrote:"But aaaaaaahhhhhh!" I hear you cry, "The Pharyngula Tentacles is a BIG pub, and PZ an influential landlord in the town, and I don't like Manchester United or their brand of football. I want to have my brand of football represented, and when PZ throws his weight around other pubs start putting in No Man City policies.", fair enough. What's stopping you set up your own pub? Or one of the deliberate fan clash pubs? PZ didn't parachute into the Pope of Atheism chair or something. He's not the fucking pope of atheism for starters, there isn't one. He can't stop you doing anything. He has precisely zero power outside of Pharyngula to stop you saying exactly what you want.
Well, actually, he and other people at FTB have tried to shut people down. Ask Abbie about it some time. But again, you're missing the point, and at this point, I have to say deliberately. The point is not his behavior, the point is his hypocrisy in bagging on that same behavior when it inconveniences him. If he is going to so heavily moderate his blog, that's fine, but then shut the *fuck* up about anyone else doing it. It is not "only bad when they do it". If it is okay for you, it is okay for them. This is not a difficult concept. Well, for everyone but you it isn't. You appear to have real issues with it.
Louis wrote:Anyone in any prominent position is going to get critics. Are you really saying that every critic is worth engaging with the same degree of intellectual effort? REALLY? I think we all know that's just not true. I don't need homoeopaths at chemistry conferences with me. It might make them feel all warm and cuddly and included and isn't that special, but what they do is effectively raise the noise to signal ratio in the bad way. So applications from homoeopaths to speak at chemistry conferences will get (politely) refused. Homoeopathy is well refuted dreck. Utter bullshit. Why treat it any differently? So if I was to set up a blog (unlikely) about chemistry and homoeopath commenters came along and started berating me for not dealing with their criticisms, I'd say "Damn right. Homoeopathy is well refuted dreck, if you don't know that by now it's not my problem.". If I was feeling kind I might engage a few and provide them with the basic tenets of a chemistry lesson or explain a dose response curve to them. Not ALL critics are worthy of attention.
And if you don't have to listen to people you call homeopaths, and then call all your critics homeopaths, well, that does simplify things, doesn't it.

Say, did PeeZus ever provide any proof for his inference that Reap was the one setting up the fake test drive calls? No? Why is that okay then?
Louis wrote:Now SOME critics ARE worthy of attention, and you all obviously feel you fall into this latter category. Fine and dandy, I'm genuinely pleased you do feel that way, I genuinely hope it's the case. That way I get to deal with a GENUINE controversy and not the endless playground politicking that I think I've made clear bores me fucking stiff. So, to pick an antique chemistry controversy, if we were talking, 60 or 70 years ago, about non-classical carbocations and someone came up with some data, and somebody else had some other data, that would be an interesting and genuine controversy, until the data fell one way or 'tother and the matter was settled.

Pick another example, to do with evolutionary biology, the relative importances of selection and drift in the fixing of a specific phenotype within a population, this would not be an issue settled by getting some creationists in. Evolutionary biologists need only apply.
Louis will tell us what we're allowed to criticize on. That's mighty white of you, Louis.
Louis wrote:Be aware that creationists think their criticisms are valuable and worth listening to. I'm not saying yours aren't, but that even as sceptics we have to be aware of our own biases. I'm here challenging mine to some small degree, even though in days gone by I might have had much more sympathy with you than with the Pharynguloids. I changed my mind though. Why? It might be because I am {insert some wickedness here} or because they introduced me to writers etc that made a compelling case or because of something else. But change my mind I did.

Annnd this is getting close to ThreeFlangedJavis' point and b) so I'll halt THIS teal deer in its tracks and start on that one.
You are challenging your biases about as much as a fish challenges me in a 5K run on an asphalt track.

Apples

Swift PZ

Post by Apples »

This is what happens when PZ applies his scientific, skeptical mind to socioeconomic issues. From today's piece, a sort of 'modest proposal' about the idea of cloning Neanderthals:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... andertals/
PZ wrote:We let children starve to death in this country all the time. Even when they’re fed, we feel no obligation to provide them with a good education — we’re in the process of dismantling the public school system and letting future generations fester in ignorance. There is a societal consensus right now, and it’s nowhere near as demanding as I expected!
Oh, really? I'd love to see some statistics on what percentage of children die of starvation in the US each year. Maybe some of Greta's shoe-money should have gone toward preventing that. And we're "in the process of dismantling the public school system?" Huh. Wonder when this process is scheduled for completion. I suppose that means everyone's taxes are going to go down quite a lot.

Of course, this is just background to his piece -- in a way it doesn't matter -- but it's characteristic of his sloppiness and indifference when it comes to getting the details right and his inevitable shrillness and exaggeration when trying to make a point. Which is, of course, precisely the opposite of applied critical thinking.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

MadGav wrote:Delurking to winge about pet peev: I'm not a fan of 'diagnosis by internet' and, even in meat-space, personality disorder tends to be used as a perjorative label rather than an actual diagnosis.

It seems entirely appropriate to observe that someone is narcissistic or that you feel they have narcissistic personality traits, but bandying about labels like narcissistic or emotionally unstable, personality disorder merely sets you up for an invitation to share your qualifications or a discussion on the ethics of remote diagnosis.

YMMV but it feels like a handing a 'get out of jail free' card to whoever you're criticising.

Oh, and while I'm here, 'Hi pitters' - I'll go back to stealth mode again now in anticipation of my first 'fuck you'.
fuck off! :D

I tend to agree with you generally, but I have a long experience with living with someone with borderline personality disorder and there are certain characteristic behaviors that set my internal alarms ringing (mainly the love, love, love, hate, HATE, HATE! thing)

EdwardGemmer

Re: Swift PZ

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Apples wrote:This is what happens when PZ applies his scientific, skeptical mind to socioeconomic issues. From today's piece, a sort of 'modest proposal' about the idea of cloning Neanderthals:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... andertals/
PZ wrote:We let children starve to death in this country all the time. Even when they’re fed, we feel no obligation to provide them with a good education — we’re in the process of dismantling the public school system and letting future generations fester in ignorance. There is a societal consensus right now, and it’s nowhere near as demanding as I expected!
Oh, really? I'd love to see some statistics on what percentage of children die of starvation in the US each year. Maybe some of Greta's shoe-money should have gone toward preventing that. And we're "in the process of dismantling the public school system?" Huh. Wonder when this process is scheduled for completion. I suppose that means everyone's taxes are going to go down quite a lot.

Of course, this is just background to his piece -- in a way it doesn't matter -- but it's characteristic of his sloppiness and indifference when it comes to getting the details right and his inevitable shrillness and exaggeration when trying to make a point. Which is, of course, precisely the opposite of applied critical thinking.
Starvation is not a large problem in this country. Education is always an issue, but I think as atheist and/or skeptics, one thing we can do is try to improve the teaching of critical thinking over memorization as the end result of education.

sKepptiksowat

W.C.O.A

Post by sKepptiksowat »

Altair

Re: W.C.O.A

Post by Altair »

sKepptiksowat wrote:White Cock Of Asia?

[spoiler]http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3897/w ... sehoro.jpg[/spoiler]
I want to say that your cock looks pretty badass, but it doesn't sound ... quite right :think:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

VickyCaramel wrote:
I'd disagree with this definition at least in my part of the UK.
soooo sweeeet; let me grab my stalker hat and misogynist trousers....so where are you in Britain are you vicky my sweet?
(pls don't answer, i is kidding)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Just read the thread about sending Justin to WIS over at Vacula's blog. I don't like Julian but I actually fear that the guy is on the verge of a mental breakdown. And Ellenbeth Wachs is a hot mess isn't she? How this credulous, immature and petty individual was placed in a leadership position of a skeptics' organization is a real mystery.
Wachs deserves credit for going to Justin's blog to engage with him and sticking around to talk to a whole bunch of people there. Not many would do that.
While that is true, it seems to me that she did that only to snipe with people on the internet that disagree with her.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Lsuoma wrote:Tidies and Fuglemen, I give you:

The Mildew Pit!
FTW!!!

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:Lastly (and there was much rejoicing) is number 4) which touches on bits of 2). I think the relevant bit is this:
Arguments over individual issues are not relevant. It's about the right to argue over issues and attempts to poison the well in the atheist community. It's about the tactics being used to do that.
To the best of my knowledge, and please present evidence to the contrary, no one is stopping anyone from arguing over anything within the atheist community. You might find yourself unwelcome at this blog or that blog, just like I might, but I think the actual censorship you are claiming is non-existent. I also think it's non-existent or exceedingly rare that, for example, some group or person is banned from any and all conferences and venues. Who is stopping you from going to CFI conferences or some big atheist conference and arguing your case? Volunteer to host a poster session or a break out talk, ask questions of presenters, try to be a presenter yourself etc. Who's stopping you from going to your local Sceptics in the Pub or something similar and airing your views, or even presenting at such? Again, as far as I am aware, no one.
you are actually completely full of shit on this one.
Louis wrote:What IS happening is people are disagreeing with you, and, when stupid shit gets pulled because I think we all know it is getting pulled, not letting you (or me) get away with it. What the fuck is wrong with that? I EXPECT criticism. I LIKE criticism. It's how I learn. That doesn't make every critic worth my time. What IS happening in some places is the people who run those places don't want to deal with specific types of criticism or people. For whatever reason. I agree with you that some of those reasons can/could be nefarious, underhanded etc, but I've not seen evidence of such. Pre-emptively banning Slymepitters is PZ's choice as landlord of the Pharyngula Tentacles isn't in my opinion a bad thing, sorry.
"I like criticism, but only the stuff I feel is "legitimate". No, i'm not going to lay out what is and is not. You'll know by my response, or lack thereof. Also, When PeeZus does it, it's okay. When IDers and Creationists do it, it's wrong. Why is that so hard?"
Louis wrote:I might not find that fair, I might not care about it, but it's undeniable it's his right to do so. Someone I rather like is John Wilkins of Evolving Thoughts, he has a "don't shit on the carpet" type policy, the comments of his blog are pretty civil (in a way that Pharyngula isn't) and pretty thoughtful (in a way Pharyngula is occasionally, noise to signal again). That's a difference of style not one right one wrong. /b/ has pretty much no rules at all and the quality of the conversation there is commensurately fucking atrocious. I'm not an advocate of Structure Uber Alles, but structure sometimes works. The structure of the paper allows the pen to write on it freely, the structure of a brick, less so. I'm not defending PZ to say I don't mind his structure any more than I am criticising him when I say I like Wilkins' structure too. It's horses for courses.
You keep yammering on about PeeZus' rights on his blog, as if that was the actual problem. At this point, that's a strawman. Were PeeZus not so against the behaviors he engages in when someone else targets him with them, there'd be much less of a problem. But, as we've seen through the years, the moderation that creationists and IDers engage in are targets for his ire. But his moderation is okey-dokey.
Louis wrote:Now there's another side to the coin of "civility" and "structure", they can be used to stifle discussion, as I am sure you note. "Uppity" black people in the pre-Civil Rights Movement southern US had their discussions shut down by just this mechanism. So yes, it IS a double edged sword to be wielded with care. (BTW, I always advocate this, read Martin Luther King's "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" if you haven't, it is truly brilliant and explains what I am getting at here perfectly, better than I ever could)

That is not what's happening here though, again to the best of my knowledge. No one is stopping you speak, no one is asking you to bide your time to be liberated, no one is lynching you. What IS happening is people are disagreeing with you. What IS happening is certain current, long standing social structures are being countered to ever greater degrees. Those structures are in the atheist community etc as well as outside them. We're, sadly we've found, not exempt.
The outcry that forced Justin Vacula to resign was actually a bit of a high-tech lynching. The actions taken against Abbie Smith by Laden, Zvan, et al? Internet Lynching bleeding over into real life. PeeZus made specific claims that NatGeo *forced* Abbie to remove certain posts. Yet he offered no evidence. But it was a nice bit of shit-spraying to make her look bad. So once again, we see there's actual evidence that the kinds of things you insist are not happening, are, and there is actual data to support that.

I expect your opinion to change appropriately. (no i don't, because it's obvious I'm on Louis's shitlist here. But That's fine.)
Louis wrote:Now IF people are publicly identifying pseudonymous/anonymous posters and giving out their real life addresses, well that's fucking disgusting. IF people are editing people's posts to make them say something different, that's fucking disgusting. IF people are lying about people, that's fucking disgusting. It doesn't matter who does it...well actually, I'll take that back...if someone on my "team" does it (urgh, team, yuck) then to me it is MORE disgusting than if the "other team" do it. I want to associate with the people who don't need to do that. And before you leap and go "well why do you post at FtB then? Hurr hurr" I'm posting here now aren't I? I'm trying to engage you aren't I?
No, you're not. You're not engaging at all. You've said, multiple times, that you have a very low opinion of the people here in general, you've ignored or waved off specific instances of the kinds of bad behavior by PeeZus et al as "not your problem", and, you've said things that are not true.

You're not engaging, you're much closer to lecturing. Engagement would require you to be far, far less dismissive of all inconvenient data.
Louis wrote:I'm going to ask you all a question now, a very simple one. Here is Michael Shermer (someone I admire and enjoy the works of very much) saying something that caused consternation:
“It’s who wants to stand up and talk about it, go on shows about it, go to conferences and speak about it, who’s intellectually active about it, you know, it’s more of a guy thing”
You know, for someone who actively supports PeeZus, who has raged, *raged* about quotemining, you do it very adeptly. When you look at Shermer's *entire* statement, it's an observation of the current reality. The majority of speakers at conferences are men. There are varying reasons for this, from the reality of it being harder to get women to speak, to some conferences being in a specialty that doesn't seem to attract a lot of women, to all too many conferences not trying for fucking beans to even try to find qualified women. If you read shermer's *entire* statement, it's fairly obvious he was not saying women are too stupid or incapable of speaking, but rather making an observation of the current reality.

As such, while that statement would lead to (hopefully) substantive discussions about sexism with regard to women speakers, (well, that already failed, in large part to PeeZus and Ophelia deliberately misconstruing Shermer's statement), it is about as sexist as me observing that by and large, pissing in a urinal seems to be a guy thing, or that knitting, by and large, seems to be more of a woman thing. If the observation matches reality, and no one is assigning motive, how can it be sexist?
Louis wrote:How about this:
“It’s who wants to stand up and talk about it, go on shows about it, go to conferences and speak about it, who’s intellectually active about it, you know, it’s more of a white thing”
is it correct based on observational data? Is it trying to imply, based on overall context that non-honkies are incapable of being speakers, or is it simply stating that by and large, thus far, this seems to be a honkie thing? Given that most atheist and skeptic conferences are a Honkie McHonkerstein reunion, if the context of that statement is an observation of what is, then no, it's not racist. If the context is "Silly Negros can't talk like real people", then it would be racist.
Louis wrote:I've changed one single word. The logic, the sense is identical. I've only changed the target. Note, I am NOT asking "do you think Michael Shermer is an evil sexist slimebag who should be put to death in a Feminazi Retraining Camp" I am asking (effectively) if the guy made a simple mistake, just like anyone can do, and make a sexist utterance? It's no great shakes, there's no "gotcha" at the end. Although I'd be really interested if anyone thinks the first one is not sexist and the second one is racist, that would be worthy of examination.

Cheers.
Why must we analyze that statement assuming he said a bad thing? That's what you're doing right there. Setting the entire thing up to be a misstatement, because...why exactly?

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Louis wrote:When used as insults terms like "bitch" and "twat" and "cunt" are inseparable from sexism. They are unambiguous negative referents to feminine/female as negative. Incidentally, "prick" and "cock" are inseparable from sexism too for the identical reasons. In all cases that is an act of sexism. There's a contextual difference which I'll get to later, but there's no difference inherent in the actual words in terms of sexism. They are reductive, they reduce a person to some perceived negative quality to do with their sex. That's sexism. Like the words "nigger" or "paki" used as insults are an unambiguous negative referent to race, and perceived negative qualities to do with race, are racist. Same mechanism.
This wasn't a response to me, but I have something quick to say about it anyway. If "cunt" is sexist because it reduces a person to some perceived negative quality to do with their sex, what about "asshole"? That reduces a person to some perceived negative quality to do with their GI tract, doesn't it?
Last time I checked both traditional sexes of human, and all trans*/intersex people too, almost exclusively possess arseholes. I'm struggling to think of any case I've heard of where someone doesn't. It's not a negative referent SPECIFIC to a person's sex. It's simply a negative referent. Insults are ALL negative referents of some kind or another. Those that refer to sex, race, sexuality, etc have "splash damage" (don't know where that term came from, but I like it) of one kind or another. They insult the person BECAUSE of their sex. I.e. they are saying you are bad because you are this sex or like this sex and this sex is bad. That's the nature of a sexist insult.
Splash Damage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_damage Took a long time to find. Like a minute maybe. You also miss the point, (again. Quelle Surprise) that calling someone a "cunt" is supposedly bad because it implies there is something wrong/bad with female genitalia. By that standard "asshole" is just as bad, because it is implying there is something wrong/bad about the rectum. Given the biologically critical task the rectum serves, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Yet, it is considered a bad thing. or are insults okay as long as they are non-group specific. So if I call you pissface, other than it being rude, that's okay then?
Louis wrote:I should be clear about one thing, this isn't a complex or massive issue, it's not really that debatable as far as I can tell from my limited reading. It's also not that damning. One point I am trying to drive home is that I think everyone, me very VERY much included is "trivially sexist" or "trivially racist" or whatever. We inherit sexist (etc) ideas from the culture around us and parrot them unthinkingly. We also don't know if we're doing something sexist a lot of the time because we simply have never had to consider it from that angle. This applies to everyone, men women etc etc etc. It's a cultural universal not a woe is me or a condemnation. It's not a moral failing or cause to wear a hair shirt, it just is. Like I said, the trick is to realise it just is and try not to do it. Are you going to fuck up? Sure! I do it all the time! No big deal, raise a hand (like Toby Flood did after kicking straight into touch from a kick off at Welford Road this weekend) and say "my bad". What the fuck is the big deal with that?
Well, given PeeZus' refusal to say that for *any* of the completely untrue, (aka Lies) things he's said in the past, why should we be expected to live up to this standard of yours when clearly, you refuse to apply it to anyone at FTB?

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:Okay time for a couple more responses then procrastination funtimes have to end.

Karmakin,

1) Harassment policies. Well I don't agree with some of that, glad you're on board with the basic concept though! Creep shaming? Harsh on unattractive people/clueless people? Well the only bit of that I can see myself agreeing with is it is a bit harsh on clueless people. But so much is! Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist!

If it is "shaming" to be told to knock it the fuck off of get out because you've been harassing someone, tough. How bad do your antennae have to be? And please spare me the Autism Adventure. We're (obviously) not talking about some chap walking up to some chappess and saying "hello, I find you attractive, would you like to have a good old shag?", taking no for an answer and wandering off. We're talking about the guy who goes "how about now?" "and now?" "and now?"....ad nauseum after receiving repeated "no"s or having the woman walk away etc. I'm not saying for a second that the bloke needs to be beaten and killed or dangled from the rafters as an example to everyone, just a quiet word in his lughole.
Oh my, aren't you the abelist. Actually, we are talking about a group (atheists and skeptics) that does seem to attract rather a lot of folks that fall under the Autism spectrum umbrella. (IT does as well, y'all are hardly special in that regard.) There would seem to be a lot of people who have genuine problems with understanding the line where "paying attention" becomes "creepy staring".

But I also should point out how you start out talking about creep shaming, (low-hanging fruit, monopod guy), and immediately define it really, really narrowly, so that there's no way to include the full spectrum of what is meant by that, (you exclude autism immediately, i guess that's inconvenient for your narrative), and by the end of that paragraph, you're talking about one very specific kind of behavior, one, not coincidentally, that no one would have a real problem condemning. Good job there, I almost didn't catch it.
Louis wrote:I look at it like a workplace thing, at the conference, don't do anything you wouldn't do at work. At the parties, don't do anything you wouldn't do with work colleagues. I go to plenty of professional conferences, they have anti-harassment policies that sit there gathering dust, never to be used. People treat each other professionally and personably and I am reasonably well assured a good deal of fucking still occurs.
How many bordello parties do you have at your workplace? How many organized drinking events? When you're presenting on a work subject to coworkers, how long do you spend regaling them with Tales of Last Night?

There would appear to be a rather wide gulf between the workplace and atheist/skeptic conferences. Funny that.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... so-fussed/

TLDR: blah blah blah look someone else is being harassed too! Michael Shermer! blah blah blah.

However, she conveniently omits the last section of the article she's talking about:
Mary Beard wrote:I'm outing this because I have a thick skin and, in the end, speculation on the size of my vagina doesn't move me half as much as worrying about the next chapter of my book I'm supposed to write. But then I'm lucky.

That's the last blog I shall write on this, dont worry. But I wanted to have my say.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

jimthepleb wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:
I'd disagree with this definition at least in my part of the UK.
soooo sweeeet; let me grab my stalker hat and misogynist trousers....so where are you in Britain are you vicky my sweet?
Thank you....

I assume you were demonstrating the difference between being a cunt and being a twat? ;)

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Turglemeister wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
McVities Rich Tea
That is all
I would like to add Jaffa Cakes :D
NOT A BISCUIT :naughty:

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:Karmakin,

And there we really differ, that is not pretty much what happened in the Elevatorgate case. The "pretty much" ignore a whole slew of context. What the guy did was pretty innocuous in the "fancy a shag" sense, I agree (i.e. he didn't harass RW constantly and continually), what he did was, in my opinion, a bit clueless. ElevatorGuy just didn't have his observant hat on.

If he had, he's have noticed that RW was talking at that conference about how to make MORE women MORE welcome at these events. Note those MOREs they are critical. I'll quote myself from here
RW had been giving a talk on (broadly speaking) the inclusion of women in the various sceptical/secular movements. One of the problems she highlighted was the sexualisation of women, there was then an extended conversation about how many women feel excluded from these movements precisely because of the underlying current of assumed sexual availability.

By this I mean, that some women found that even within the rationalist community, and at rationalist events, they were exposed to precisely the same sexualisation they found outside. So far so non controversial.

RW did not try to speak for all women, nor does she, she merely said that there was a significant fraction of women, who found this “evaluation of women in purely sexual terms” to be off putting. If you’re not particularly wealthy and you really want to go to a conference, are you really going to not be disincentivised to some degree by the fact that when you go there it’s not going to be what feminists refer to as a “safe space”?

Just to make this abundantly clear, I am not referring to merely being hit on. No one, not RW, not me, not anyone has objected to the mere fact of being hit on. To claim that is a straw man. A really, bone fide, gross misrepresentation of what is being claimed.

Worse, and some people here will see what you are doing in this light, me included, but I’ll go gentle for one more post, to dismiss the experience of this subset of women to claim to know better than them, is a sexist, a misogynistic act.

BUT WAIT! I hear you cry, aren’t we terrible people dismissing the experience of women like your friends you mentioned and all those women who don’t have a problem like this? Isn’t that equally misogynistic?

No. We’re not. And if we were, yes it would be! Glad you asked! ;-)

Those women’s experiences are just as valid, just as good as anyone else’s. If people want to go to conferences to score and hit on each other, go for it, go for it with my blessing. I’ve done it, you’ve done it, probably every conference attendee ever has done it to some degree. It’s utterly not controversial and by no means a problem.

But again, if that were all there were to this issue we’d be sat here silently agreeing. It isn’t.

Remember what RW spoke about? Inclusion of women. Remember she mentioned that a subset of women found the sexualisation by some other participants to be off putting? Those experiences are just as valid, just as real, just as noteworthy as those of the women who are not off put by this. The sexist act, the misogynistic act, comes from dismissing a woman’s complaint and claiming that you know better than she does her own mind. that’s part of the basis for ANY bigotry. If the experiences of the “I don’t mind being hit on” women are valid, and they are, the experiences of the “I do mind being hit on” women are too. One does not come without the other.

So the situation RW found herself in was not one of logical purity, removed from context. She had spent a significant amount of time in her talk, a significant amount of time at the bar afterwards, both places where the eventual Elevator Guy was present and involved in the conversation apparently, discussing precisely how the sexualisation of women was exclusionary to a significant proportion of women.

More than that, she had spent a significant amount of time identifying herself as one of those women.
There's a lot more to the post, go and read it if you can be bothered. I'll never claim to be the shortest poster!
nor the most coherent, nor best listener. Your entire premise rests, heavily on a small number of suppositions, (we'll assume EG exists, I see no reason not to):

1) EG was present when Watson talked about these things outside of the pub that night.

2) EG was actively listening to Watson's specific conversation in that pub, and was present for all of it. This is no small issue, even when part of a group, you are not participating in every conversation equally, and in a pub environment, keeping track of other conversations that you are not an active participant in is damnably hard, if not impossible. I've tried to do it, and I'm really good at picking out conversations in high-noise environments. So the fact that he was in the room does not mean he was actually participating in that specific conversation.

Given the complete inability of anyone to identify EG, (and do spare any of us the 'they don't wish to drag him through the mud' reasoning or similar. They have shown no qualms about such things whatsoever, so the fact they're protecting him is really inexplicable), we have not much other than "he was in the pub". Okay, even given that, it is a lot of assumption to assume he was paying attention to no one but Watson the entire time.

Yet, you accept these assumptions seemingly without any hint of skepticism or critical thought. Why? Where is the proof for these claims you say you care so much about?
Louis wrote:People I'm protecting? Wasn't aware I was speaking for anyone but me. Who DOESN'T agree with what I said about harassment policies? Who's trying to have what both ways, I need specifics sadly.
You are. You want specifics and claims from us, yet dismiss the same requests when we make them of you and your 'side'. Why should we take your requests seriously when it's obvious you'll never live up to them yourself, nor expect PeeZus et al to do the same.?

Mzone

Post by Mzone »

The Dramagate the song!

Very well done.

[youtube]YSLqTFpJPuU[/youtube]

Mzone

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:
EdgePenguin wrote:If the racism and/or sexism you admit to is 'trivial' - then perhaps it simply isn't worth worrying about? Excessive policing of a persons words is often, in my experience, a silencing ploy. A speaker who doesn't want to respond to criticism can quote mine for something - anything - that can be taken as racist or sexist or bigoted in some other way - and then yell that loudly in place of addressing the point their critic was actually trying to make. Such behavior is endemic at FtB, A+ and Skepchick - but not here. Here, you will have noticed, people actually answer critics properly.
Different sense of the word "trivial". As in "uncontroversial/obvious".

I agree, in fact I said as much above in regard to civility, that policing words can be a silencing ploy. It isn't universally so, however. Sometimes someone does say a bigoted thing and needs to be called on it. That is part of the answer to the person. If too much "ahhh they're bigot just ignore them" goes on at FtB etc for you, DON'T POST THERE. I haven't noticed ALL people here to be vastly better, sorry to disappoint you, people tend to be people. SOME of the people here have been superb. I'll try to focus on them.
"Some of you say things that are inconvenient for my narrative. I shall simply miscategorize you as mean/stupid/whatever and only argue the convenient bits so that I can prove my bias and status as the most smartererererrrr"

welch

Post by welch »

Louis wrote:
Tfoot wrote:Hi Louis,
Please do be a sport and tell me why Im a
-'in Tfoot's case a shark jumping obsessive sexist loonbag"

I'm pretty sure the facts are against you on this one, but I'm all ears as to why I'm a 'shark jumping obsessive sexist loonbag'.
No worries, sport.

Your arguments on FtB against their very simple brand of feminism were sexist. I can go back and dig through tonne of drivel if I want to, but why bother? Shark jumping: Dude, you used to be so cool! Okay, okay, forgive me I couldn't resist that one. I was, and still am, a big fan of your science videos. You do stellar work, no fooling, I really think that.

The hard on you have for FtB, not so much. So shark jumping and obsessive. Sexist, well I haven't demonstrated it, but I'm sure it will come up somewhere, be patient. Loonbag: the straw men, the focus on the most twisted interpretations of reasonable things, the videos edited out of context to make an almost Michael Moorian (someone I also quite like, although phew do you have to take his work with a bucket of salt sometimes) video about PZ and people. Dude, it's time to get over it.

I'll make one confession, I do feel bad for not having a detailed point by point case prepared for you, genuinely, but since I find it hard to do anything other than laugh at you at the moment, I can't really bring myself to worry about it. Make of that what you will. I'm sure you'll do so whether or not I have a point by point case prepared for you.

"What's that? You expect ME to have data to support MY claims? Listen you stupid yobbo, that's not how it works, and you better straighten out and lose that attitude quickly!"

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:Kudos to Lewis for engaging in discussion.
You have the oddest definition for that word ever.

welch

Post by welch »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Ophelia Benson wrote:I’m very very very very very tired of this shit. My life is shit, thanks to these people. That’s what they want, and they get what they want. I’m a blogger and writer, so the work I do I do online. That means taking “a break” from online isn’t a happy little vacation, it’s being locked out of the work I do. Yes no doubt it’s pathetic contemptible nerdy “work” but I like doing it, and I don’t like being forced out of it by sadistic pseudonymous shits. (link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... y-morning/)
Look, Ophelia. I don't know if you'll ever see this, but if you do, pay attention. Because I'm about to do some victim-blaming.

You're standing on a metaphorical sidewalk, and have been for awhile now. You're looking down the street, waiting for a speeding car to get close. Then you're jumping in front of it. Over and over. Does it suck that you just got liquefied by a semi hauling ass at 90 mph? Yes. But it's your fault.

If you get what you believe to be a credible threat against your safety, the only acceptable thing to do in response is to report it to law enforcement. Every time you draw attention to a treat while not reporting it, you're jumping in front of another car, and making a goddamn spectacle of yourself doing it. You're doing it again, right now.

I'm seeing comments pop up on this blog post of yours as I write this. I fully believe you enjoy your work blogging, and now, after reading these comments, I know why. It's not because you're making a difference, and it's not because people admire your work. It's because people pity you. I can see through it though. You're after as many "we love you, Ophelia"s as you can get.

You mention the "mildew pit" at the beginning of your post, you say "I suspect the comment was a plant". You're implying that the slymepit doxxed him just to fuck with you. Fuck you. Got any evidence? Of course not, because you'd never outright say it. You just want to put the thought in people's heads.

Then you say, "And he’s Canadian. Ooh I’m doxxing him!! Except that’s on his Facebook page. Visible to all." Is that sarcasm? I thought you were very, very tired of this shit. I thought you were extremely upset about all this, and it's wearing you down. How can you make light of that? Oh, that's right, because you're full of shit.

I know what else you're doing with "mildew pit" too. You don't want to say "slymepit" because some of your readers might be curious about it, and go searching to see what we actually say. Can't have that, can you? That won't work, though. Even though commenter "A Hermit" just swallowed the Kool-Aid, PZ makes reference to the slymepit all the time, and there's a tremendous backlog of mentions all over FTB. Nice try though.
Ophelia's so tired of this shit. Do you know how hard it is for her to be such a martyr? Have you ever tried typing while crucified? HAVE YOU?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

meh, ive always been a twatty cunt, but never a cunty twat

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

I find it pretty rich that Ophelia Benson whines about not being able to blog, considering all she does is about 200 words commenting on her reprinting of most of someone else's work.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Louis wrote:a) Poor presentation of pitter posters:

... and exactly what I would have expected if PZ's characterisation was correct. You might not like that, but hey, it's MY lived experience!
PZ's representation of us are that we're terrible misogynists, helpless sexists, and callous murderers with no hesitation to throw acid in people's faces. Your "welcome" is exactly what you would have expected from that? In the words of Ricky Gervais, don't talk shit.
I'm here for my own benefit, to sate my curiosity. I saw some post about acid throwing on the side bar at FtB, clicked out of curiosity, read, posted something sarcastic, read PZ's post, thought to myself "I wonder if the pit people are really gloating away?" so I came for a look.
And were we? Gloating?
I then went back to Pharyngula and posted some rambling comment, which I think I'll stand by for now, and deliberated about creating an account here under my real ID (can't be bothered with sock puppets) and see if my initial impressions were correct. So far....hmmm....they seem to be somewhat correct in some cases, not so much in others. Pretty much what any sensible person would have guessed, right?
Er, yeah. Sensible.
As for which 'pitters I have a low opinion of, which a higher opinion of, and the same question as applied to Pharynguloids, I won't say. Not because I'm afraid to, or above that, but because I think it is irrelevant and childish. I can do irrelevant and childish if I want to, but I don't want to. Is that really such a crime?
:violin:
Oh and I have fuck all clue about Renee or probably most of the gripes. Not because I'm some hideous blinkered fool, but simply because I don't have unlimited time/effort to expend on following every tiny thing in what I see (perhaps wrongly, perhaps rightly) as tiresome interblog drama. So I skip 90% of it.
Then I guess the remaining 10% were eager to make that post you did on Ophelia's blog about the Slymepit.
I am, however, exceedingly keen and willing to look at evidence. As opposed to being exceedingly NOT keen and willing to be vilified for not immediately sharing your party line upon entry...wait, isn't that another criticism you chaps and chappesses have of FtB? Oooops! Physicians heal thyselves it seems!
Vilified for sharing the party line. Once again, don't talk shit. Besides, maybe you should take that moral compass and turn it around on the commentariat you allegedly support. Like the response Noelplum got. Or did you conveniently skip that one too?
I'd rather find out if this claim that 'pitters are horrendously caricatured by PZ et al is true for myself, best way to do that? Jump in and see. It might amaze you to know that, yes, whilst I am an Evil Horde Member Pharynguloid Wicked Person and All Round Bad Egg, and yes, whilst I like plenty of the posters that most upset many of you, I'm okay with deciding things for myself thanks.
Great. But you might not want to assume what members of the Slymepit thinks of you right off the bat, yeah? It only makes you sound condescending.
I haven't posted on Pharyngula about my Sooper Sekrit Mission To Convert Teh Heathens ...
Jesus, and you said we were boring?

[youtube]dEtm_Q2LK9g[/youtube]
... because that's not what this is, I'm satisfying my curiosity whether anyone wants to believe that or not. When that's done, we'll see. I might post again, I might not. It's not that big a deal to me. Sorry if that offends you for some reason. It's not that big a deal to me that some benighted fools like soccer not rugby or that they go to church. I really don't care. I do care if they tell me I should like soccer or die, or I should obey the strictures of their church in my private life. They're free to criticise me for being ignorant of the beautiful game (I am) or that I am, by their standards, a terrible wicked heathen (I am), that's the joy of free speech, they get to disagree with me and I with them.
Because PZ's representation of us is clearly about who likes soccer (football) or rugby or who goes to church and who doesn't. That's a perfect analogy, Louis.
Should I bold that last bit? I'm pretty sure, based on a number of posts from a variety of people that that point escapes a lot of folk here. Hell it escapes a lot of folk everywhere! It used to escape me until I had it beaten into me with a clue by four.
Well, it's a good thing we can all be adults and agree to disagree.

Oh, wait, we can't. Because we're automatically banned and labelled misogynists, sexists, rapists and murderers. You're a genius, Louis.
c) PZ banning folks quickly/pre-emptively:

I don't have a blog and probably never will have one. I've helped moderate the odd message board in the dim and distant past, but work etc. Yadda yadda yadda. So my views on how to manage a million+ hits a whenever blog are probably not very insightful. Would I manage Pharyngula the same as PZ? Well *I* am not PZ, so trivially and obviously probably not. Do I like his particular policies? I think he's reasonably lenient in places, strict in others, to be frank it doesn't bother me. It doesn't affect me much because I'm unlikely to go on a racist/sexist/homophobic/trolling/creationist/whatever rant, i.e. I am unlikely to do the things he typically bans people for. But that's hardly the controversial bit now is it?
What an utter and absolute non-response. And what he typically bans people for? So since he's taken to blanket ban everyone from the Slymepit and moreover label anyone who disagrees with him a 'pitter, then that means typically Slymepitters are making racist/sexist/homophobic/trolling/whatever comments and rants, are they? Don't - talk - shit.
Do I support his blanket 'pitter ban? Yes, in the sense that it is his blog and he can do what the fuck he likes.
Wait wait wait. Because it's his blog? Yeah, ok. But wasn't it because he banned them because they were exactly according to his representations of us, and which you agreed with? Which is it, Louis?
No, in the sense that it probably wouldn't be how I would handle it, but then I don't know how I'd handle it, I've never been there.

Another evasive answer. You'd be a great politician.
I don't look at a blog like someone's living room, or a wide open field where anyone can do whatever, I look at a blog rather like a pub. PZ is the landlord of the Pharyngula Tentacles (can't be Arms can it?). He gets to run his pub his way. If the majority of his punters were Manchester United fans (and remember I know nothing about soccer, so I am picking two teams with a local derby at random) and the majority of the Manchester City fans who came in were bothersome, or excited the more....intemperate....Manchester United fans who were regulars in the pub, I might ban openly obvious Man City fans. Just for some peace and fucking quiet and not having my pub bust up every two minutes.
Brilliant. It's true, just like your analogy portends, we are just like the loud Man City fans who come in to the pub to be bothersome and we're just there to bust it up every two minutes.
I sympathise with PZ a bit because he doesn't have a team of helpers to clean the shite of the ceiling in his blog, he's got a job, a family, a side-effort as a prominent public speaker etc, managing the blog is an added (voluntary) burden. I'm not worried about him managing it his way, posting what interests him (some of which intersects with what interests me) and going about his day.

Now PZ is not stopping anyone drinking in other pubs, he's not banning people from alcohol, he's not saying that other landlords and landladies cannot have Manchester City only pubs, or pubs where the fans mix or pubs dedicated to advanced lesbian basket weaving. He makes the rules for his pub.
Yes, that PZ Myers sure have it tough. He makes more money than probably a lot of us here at the 'pit together and he continually makes blog posts to stir shit up, which of course makes it a burden to clean "the shite of the ceiling" when others who don't agree to his shit-stirring tactics disagree. He should get a fucking medal.

Oh, and what's that about not "stopping anyone from drinking in other pubs"? (Still going off your inebriated analogy to great effect.) What about when he supported the petition to remove Justin Vacula from a volunteer position in the SCA? What about when he decided to fuck with Gelato Guy "into the ground"? He's not a very calm and collected man, is he?
"But aaaaaaahhhhhh!" I hear you cry, "The Pharyngula Tentacles is a BIG pub, and PZ an influential landlord in the town, and I don't like Manchester United or their brand of football. I want to have my brand of football represented, and when PZ throws his weight around other pubs start putting in No Man City policies.", fair enough. What's stopping you set up your own pub? Or one of the deliberate fan clash pubs? PZ didn't parachute into the Pope of Atheism chair or something. He's not the fucking pope of atheism for starters, there isn't one. He can't stop you doing anything. He has precisely zero power outside of Pharyngula to stop you saying exactly what you want.
Look, this isn't working. Pharyngula isn't like a pub. PZ Myers isn't like a landlord. We are not a rivalry and we do not venture into his blog to "bust it up" or to "be bothersome." Your analogy doesn't work. If PZ Myers' representation of the Slymepit and its members would be true in any way, then he would be the one against misogyny, sexism and racism, and we wouldn't be. Therefore it becomes idiotic to compare us to two rival "teams" - we're not "teams." Would we be empathetic to the situation of Natalie Reed if we were "rivals" in that respect, and more importantly would we "allow" women to post here? No. No, no and no. It all falls apart. That's because he is wrong. He and his pack of cirle-jerkers are wrong. Just because the words "cunt" and "twat" gets thrown around doesn't mean we're misogynists, does not mean we're sexists, and if you're using that as an example where PZ's representation is "somewhat correct", then you're about as sleazy and slimy as oolon.
Anyone in any prominent position is going to get critics.
That so? Maybe you should tell Benson, Zvan, Watson, et al. about that, since they seem to think their criticisms are all because they're women, and not because they're prominent figures. I'm glad you said that, Louis.
Are you really saying that every critic is worth engaging with the same degree of intellectual effort? REALLY? I think we all know that's just not true. I don't need homoeopaths at chemistry conferences with me. It might make them feel all warm and cuddly and included and isn't that special, but what they do is effectively raise the noise to signal ratio in the bad way. So applications from homoeopaths to speak at chemistry conferences will get (politely) refused. Homoeopathy is well refuted dreck. Utter bullshit. Why treat it any differently? So if I was to set up a blog (unlikely) about chemistry and homoeopath commenters came along and started berating me for not dealing with their criticisms, I'd say "Damn right. Homoeopathy is well refuted dreck, if you don't know that by now it's not my problem.". If I was feeling kind I might engage a few and provide them with the basic tenets of a chemistry lesson or explain a dose response curve to them. Not ALL critics are worthy of attention.
Have we been saying that every critic is worth engaging? No. We've been saying the exact opposite. When Benson, Zvan, Christina, Watson, etc, gets critics, they've been quick to take the opinions of obvious trolls or otherwise adolescent teenagers as proof of rape culture, the patriarchy, misogyny and sexism, and so on. But what about the legitimate critics? The ones that do not engage in childish antics and actually are keen to have an actual conversation? Not a word. But we know they're there because we've seen them and some of them can be seen on YouTube and here on the 'pit. But it's easier to make blanket statements like they and PZ Myers have done, because I suppose drama gets more blog hits and more blog hits equals money.
Now SOME critics ARE worthy of attention, and you all obviously feel you fall into this latter category. Fine and dandy, I'm genuinely pleased you do feel that way, I genuinely hope it's the case. That way I get to deal with a GENUINE controversy and not the endless playground politicking that I think I've made clear bores me fucking stiff. So, to pick an antique chemistry controversy, if we were talking, 60 or 70 years ago, about non-classical carbocations and someone came up with some data, and somebody else had some other data, that would be an interesting and genuine controversy, until the data fell one way or 'tother and the matter was settled.
In other words, you agree that what PZ Myers and Rebecca Watson have been doing for the past year and a half is endless playground politicking?

Of course, with the "genuine controversy", it sounds as if you're making a "Dear Muslima" argument.
Be aware that creationists think their criticisms are valuable and worth listening to. I'm not saying yours aren't, but that even as sceptics we have to be aware of our own biases. I'm here challenging mine to some small degree, even though in days gone by I might have had much more sympathy with you than with the Pharynguloids. I changed my mind though. Why? It might be because I am {insert some wickedness here} or because they introduced me to writers etc that made a compelling case or because of something else. But change my mind I did.
You know, you're awfully boring when you seem to infer that we think all FTB commenters are "wicked." We don't. We don't think all FTB is "wicked", either. We don't think it's a cult. Stop with the condescending bullshit and just answer the questions. If you don't want to answer, then say so. Be honest. Don't give us that "it's not what I would've done, but who knows?" crap.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Richard Dworkins wrote:I find it pretty rich that Ophelia Benson whines about not being able to blog, considering all she does is about 200 words commenting on her reprinting of most of someone else's work.
Well, you know, it's hard to figure out how to make it about you, what with all the stuff going on in the world.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Um, could someone tell me why the fuck my name is coming up with this whole "Louis-trying-to-hang-with-the-pitters" thing?

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Proof that criticism of swearing is racism?

"It's a Scottish thing, swearing is like a comma to us"

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

Louis wrote:
I'm going to ask you all a question now, a very simple one. Here is Michael Shermer (someone I admire and enjoy the works of very much) saying something that caused consternation:

How about this:

I've changed one single word. The logic, the sense is identical. I've only changed the target. Note, I am NOT asking "do you think Michael Shermer is an evil sexist slimebag who should be put to death in a Feminazi Retraining Camp" I am asking (effectively) if the guy made a simple mistake, just like anyone can do, and make a sexist utterance? It's no great shakes, there's no "gotcha" at the end. Although I'd be really interested if anyone thinks the first one is not sexist and the second one is racist, that would be worthy of examination.

Cheers.
I would argue the answer is no. Identifying gender/racial differences, on it's own, is not sexist, so long as it's based on realities and not stereotypes. It isn't until one acts on those identified gender differences that it becomes sexist. For example, when discussing domestic abuse, I will often hear discussed, by feminists, that men are generally physically stronger than women. Is this sexist to say? Of course not, it's a reality. But when you argue that, for that reason, women should be given access to services and resources, while men do not, or that women should be believed when she levels an accusation without evidence, simply because a man is stronger... now you're getting into the realm of sexism. Another example is when discussing the idea of legal parental surrender (the idea that a parent should be allowed to absolve themselves of the legal rights AND responsibilities of a child they do not want to be a parent of.. Akin to current safe haven laws, but granted to men (or women who have a baby and give it to the father, but don't want to be held responsible financially))... I often hear feminists argue that men don't get pregnant, which is true, and thus not sexist. It is only when the argument is made that, because they don't get pregnant, they don't deserve any choice over becoming a parent or not, should an "accident" happen.

So I ask you in return, is acknowledging men are generally stronger than women sexist? Or does it only become sexist once you start acting on that identified trait?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

welch wrote:
You keep yammering on about PeeZus' rights on his blog, as if that was the actual problem. At this point, that's a strawman. Were PeeZus not so against the behaviors he engages in when someone else targets him with them, there'd be much less of a problem. But, as we've seen through the years, the moderation that creationists and IDers engage in are targets for his ire. But his moderation is okey-dokey.
This a thousand times.

Thank you for your excellent rebuttals welch, but I doubt Louis will lower himself for unsophisticated riffraff such as yourself :snooty:

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Metalogic42 wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... so-fussed/

TLDR: blah blah blah look someone else is being harassed too! Michael Shermer! blah blah blah.

However, she conveniently omits the last section of the article she's talking about:
Mary Beard wrote:I'm outing this because I have a thick skin and, in the end, speculation on the size of my vagina doesn't move me half as much as worrying about the next chapter of my book I'm supposed to write. But then I'm lucky.

That's the last blog I shall write on this, dont worry. But I wanted to have my say.
I'm a fan of Mary Beard so this makes me quite annoyed:
Ophelia Benson wrote:So they do it to Mary Beard, too. Mary Beard! A classics don! Makes me want to get my friend Euripides to give them a dam’ good scolding.
Who are "they"? Does Ophelia think that the people who criticise her are the same people who sling insults at Mary Beard? Most of the flak Ophelia catches is because she keeps saying stupid shit. People might stoop so low as to bring her appearance into it (which I don't approve of), but nobody is offended simply by what Ophelia looks like. Mary Beard, on the other hand, is getting sniped at for daring to go on television without looking like a supermodel (originally it was A.A. Gill leading the charge).

Hopefully Ophelia will dig into what Mary has to say a bit more, seeing as Mary is of the view that modern feminism has become sanctimonious and quasi-religious.

Altair

Post by Altair »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Um, could someone tell me why the fuck my name is coming up with this whole "Louis-trying-to-hang-with-the-pitters" thing?
i think it happened because one of your posts was used as an example of PZ deleting a post for no other reason than being from a slymepitter:

http://thingsbaboonssay.tumblr.com/image/38993548006

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I'm always delighted by the sexist words idea, because it's so easy to turn anyone I know anti feminist in a second.

Me: "I'm anti feminist."
Them: "What, really? Like... you hate womens rights?"
Me: "No, I use the word cunt. Because it's awesome. You've used the word cunt right? Because that's sexist behaviour."
Them: "WHAT LOL I am so an anti feminist."

The other thing that's nice is that I don't give a shit about the word sexist anymore. It means fuck all.

I'm also 100% sure that the war on words is a war Team Cunts and Cocks will win on society's stage.
jjbinx007 wrote:
Louis wrote:
Isn't it wonderful that this topic can be discussed without anyone being told to die in a fire, or be called a moron, or banned, simply because they present an argument?

I digress.

I do think that it's more of a white thing. Do I think it's GOOD that it's more of a white thing? Hell no.

Is it sexist to point out that women dominate in some jobs and men dominate in others? Does pointing out facts mean we endorse them?
I'd be interested to see realistic stats on whether it's more of a white thing. If we're looking at a percentage of speakers at the top level by percentage in the community - and by top level I mean the Dawkins, the AHAs, the NGTs, the Santa Marias... I'm not sure it is. Then again I only know the atheists famous enough to escape onto popular media (with the exception of FTB types).

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Um, could someone tell me why the fuck my name is coming up with this whole "Louis-trying-to-hang-with-the-pitters" thing?
I used you as an example of someone who Louis might have a low opinion of if he reads only FTB (due to banning + deletion + anti-pit propaganda), but would realize you're awesome after reading the slymepit (due to operation smile).

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Okay. I've just this thing on that funny-as-fuck A+ Secret Forum thread; it's a little thing, but...fuck, I dunno what to make of it. You'll find it in this post here: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 600#p65222

I'm pointing to the hidden smiley. The hidden smiley which is animated to show it presenting a bunch of flowers. What got me was the apparent reason as to why it was 'spoilered':
Motion/Flowers allergy trigger alert.
For a fuckin smiley?? And yet, this is the thing - on pretty much any other board, it would be absolutely clear that the poster was taking the piss. But on that A+ forum, there remains the disturbing likelihood that it was meant in all sincerity.

The fact that so much of what occurs at that forum is subject to Poe's law is just...well, in typical vein, as funny as fuck.

welch

Re: W.C.O.A

Post by welch »

sKepptiksowat wrote:White Cock Of Asia?

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3897/w ... sehoro.jpg
Kind of looks like Flying Fox from Heavenly Sword

welch

Post by welch »

katamari Damassi wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
While that is true, it seems to me that she did that only to snipe with people on the internet that disagree with her.
Simply showing up is not engaging or talking. Fuck, those words have some meaning beyond "in the room".

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

To all those responding to Louis :clap: You've all shown incredible patience. Methinks he's not only drunk the FfTB koolade, but is licking the packet.

windy

Post by windy »

Louis wrote: To the best of my knowledge, and please present evidence to the contrary, no one is stopping anyone from arguing over anything within the atheist community. You might find yourself unwelcome at this blog or that blog, just like I might, but I think the actual censorship you are claiming is non-existent. I also think it's non-existent or exceedingly rare that, for example, some group or person is banned from any and all conferences and venues. Who is stopping you from going to CFI conferences or some big atheist conference and arguing your case? Volunteer to host a poster session or a break out talk, ask questions of presenters, try to be a presenter yourself etc. Who's stopping you from going to your local Sceptics in the Pub or something similar and airing your views, or even presenting at such? Again, as far as I am aware, no one.
Wait, what happened to the rampant sexualization and sexist bias that has discouraged so many of us women from attending and speaking at these events??