Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Old subthreads
Apples

elementary, my dear twatson

Post by Apples »

SkepChicks are so science-y!! "Ask Slurpy Amy" has a super-informative post about allergy shots where Amy demonstrates her ability to paraphrase the Mayo clinic -- and then quote in full the Mayo clinic paragraph that she just paraphrased. Just in case you didn't get it the first time. And all of this just in case you can't Google "allergy shots" and would rather hear about it from a professional silly putty wrangler like Amy. Wanna see a picture of Amy's back when she got an allergy test? Yum!

[spoiler]Hmm. Looks like she's allergic to everything. No wonder she's so surly.
http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads ... y-test.jpg[/spoiler]

Even better, Rebecca Watson is stepping up her game when it comes to science cred and has instituted a new feature at SkepChick -- Bad Graph Thursday! She is exercising her mad SkepChick brain skillz by digging up and exposing some misleading research badly presented. Sounds good! Okay here goes -- take it away Rebecca!

[spoiler]http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads/stupidmra.gif
What's that you say? Rebecca is a lazy stupid bitch for recycling a boring joke graph that Jen McWrong blogged about six months ago? Shut yo mouth, misogynist. You don't understand lady science.[/spoiler]
:suimouth:
http://skepchick.org/2013/01/the-inaugu ... -thursday/
http://skepchick.org/2013/01/ask-surly- ... rgy-shots/

UnbelieveSteve

Re: Slyme Pit Orgy, Sponsored by Vicky's Bewbs

Post by UnbelieveSteve »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:And my answer to Steve looked just fine in preview, too.
Dodgy forum built from Chinese parts.

I've listened to a couple of tracks. Great stuff Phil. I'll browse your site for some birthday presents. (mine)

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

Reap wrote:
Submariner wrote:PZed at it again:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ecularism/

Regardless of gender, all respondents who are or have been involved in the secular movement are asked: Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed in the secular movement? Women outnumber men 62%/34% in responding “Yes.” It is worth noting that women do not outnumber men when asked the same question about religious organizations with which they’ve been associated. It appears they are less comfortable in secular groups than in the churches they left.
I hate these muli-pronged and vague questions. A better methodology would be to ask each point of the question separately : Have you ever felt unwelcome? Was the source of this unwelcome feeling a) other attendees b) organizers and speakers c)protesters d) other

Asking if you've ever felt sad, abused, or injured doesn't really tell you much as almost everyone has been sad.

Common errors in the interpretation of survey data
1) Quoting percentages only
In general, it is irritating, if not unacceptable, for a report to be written quoting only
percentages. A person reading a report on findings from survey data must be easily able to
determine the base (i.e., the number of cases) on which percentages have been calculated. It
can be quite misleading to present percentages and especially changes in percentages when
the base for the percentage is very small.

PZ Myers is an idiot. Without actual numbers that census data means jack shit. Has he lost his mind? This is BASIC stuff. A fifth grade kid could figure it out. I wonder who had the bright idea to release these figures w/o any real numbers
My hope is that it is someone who knew he'd jump at those numbers and assume they supported him, so he'd promote the study, but will end up making him look bad when the full details are released. I know, wishful thinking, but it's nice to think optimistically sometimes.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Second, this is spectacular:

you blithering fucking twit
They really are fucking pathetic. They have no wit, no sense of irony and this is the best they can do when it comes to swearing at each other. My granny could curse better that that.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Trophy wrote:
Okay, I checked the link and the survey and I was wrong. Yes, in the past 12 months, the survey lists 1.1% of the sample (est. 1.26M men in total) as victims of "made to penetrate" with 80% of them commited by women. So I was very wrong. I really apologize.

And yes, it's equal to the percentage of women raped in the sample. So I guess I was the fucking moron, huh.
not anymore you aren't. cheers for admitting you were wrong.
And cheers for admitting – contrary to an article of faith in some quarters that one should “never apologize” – that admitting that oneself was wrong actually has some value …. ;-)
I´m still several pages behind, but I also want to extend my respect to Trophy for admitting being wrong and changing their mind when presented with evidence. That´s not easy to do and it´s something that many in the so-called skeptical community should learn (or at least remember).

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

bhoytony wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Second, this is spectacular:

you blithering fucking twit
They really are fucking pathetic. They have no wit, no sense of irony and this is the best they can do when it comes to swearing at each other. My granny could curse better that that.
so could mine and she's been dead 15 years.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Michael K Gray wrote: "Beverages"
What a strange, strange word.
One that seems to only be employed by advertisers and legal eagles.
Most of we hoi polloi refer to these liquidy substances as "booze", "plonk", "fucken beer", etc.
(On rare occasions: tea, coffee, nose candy)

"Beverages"
Its one of those words like "ream", or "Laden", in that the more you say it, the less correct it sounds.
Well, in Scottishland our favourite pastime is to go for a "bevvy".

astrokid.nj

A Name for bad werdz.. microaggresions

Post by astrokid.nj »

5 things left for feminism: Equal Pay, Rape Culture, Reproductive Health, Microaggressions (pussy, balls, bitches,..), Media representation
[youtube]flm8BwEmM3E[/youtube]

Apples

lies, damned lies, and phallacies

Post by Apples »

Wonderist wrote:This is an example of the Base Rate Fallacy, and closely related to the Prosecutor's Fallacy and Simpson's Paradox, all of which are examples of misunderstanding conditional probability. See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditiona ... _fallacies

Myers has no excuse for this. He is pushing propaganda, pure and simple. I highly recommend folks here read a bit on conditional probability, if they are unfamiliar with it. It's actually a pretty interesting concept (that we already use in our daily lives, usually intuitively and without realizing it), and learning the theory behind it can really help clarify one's thinking. A great tool to add to your baloney detection kits.
MISOGYNIST!!!!11!!!

Or, as SallyStrange: Elite Femi-Fascist Genius puts it over at PZ's in response to a similarly reasonable skeptical response from Kbonn:
SallyStrange wrote:
kbonn wrote:Simply put, why rush this out?
Because after two years or so of testerically unhinged male supremacist assholes screaming us that BITCHES BE LYING about the harassment, and WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE because they can’t just take a woman’s word for what happened to her, it’s nice to have something that backs up what hundreds (thousands?) of people have been saying all along.
(My apologies if someone already quoted this; couldn't resist reprising it. Incidentally, I believe kbonn was finally banned today over at A+ for talking sense to the mods)

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /#comments

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Even if the denominators of those percentages turn out to be reasonably large, I'm willing to bet my entire homeless charity fund that they still wouldn't be representative of the conference circuit, which gets most of the blog attention but relatively few of the actual people. Most secular people interact mostly with their local groups pretty much of the time. If they get turned on or off the freethought or skeptical movement it will most likely happen at that level.

Apples

Post by Apples »

h/t Mark Neil for originally spotting the Sally Strange outburst.

Submariner

Re: A Name for bad werdz.. microaggresions

Post by Submariner »

astrokid.nj wrote:5 things left for feminism: Equal Pay, Rape Culture, Reproductive Health, Microaggressions (pussy, balls, bitches,..), Media representation

Pay gap, pffttt.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin/20 ... -pay-myth/

cunt

Post by cunt »

astrokid.nj wrote:5 things left for feminism: Equal Pay, Rape Culture, Reproductive Health, Microaggressions (pussy, balls, bitches,..), Media representation
[youtube]flm8BwEmM3E[/youtub]
I can almost feel the sane feminists cringing. He is joking right? Equal pay is a legitimate feminist concern, but it refers to equal pay for equal work. Complaining that nurses get paid less than the average construction worker as if it were a misogynistic culture that promotes this is retarded. They're just two different jobs and the employer will always pay the least they feel they can get away with.

When male nurses get paid less than female construction workers (they do) people don't scream about the matriarchy.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

d4m10n wrote:Even if the denominators of those percentages turn out to be reasonably large, I'm willing to bet my entire homeless charity fund that they still wouldn't be representative of the conference circuit, which gets most of the blog attention but relatively few of the actual people. Most secular people interact mostly with their local groups pretty much of the time. If they get turned on or off the freethought or skeptical movement it will most likely happen at that level.
Yep. Don't get me wrong. I have no clue what the denominators are. The point is, neither does PZ. And you're right, this is only one of the basic problems with the 'analysis' provided. Even if the numbers are reasonably large, they need to take into account the fact that the data has been collected non-randomly.

There are two ways I can think of to handle that. One would be a relatively complicated factor analysis type dealy-o (I'm actually not a qualified stats person, BTW, just going by what I've been studying recently, which, honestly, is more than enough to spot obvious flaws like Myers' quote). The other way would be to simply increase the sample size to thoroughly drown out any sampling bias. I have no idea what kind of sample size would be needed to accomplish the latter, but I'm pretty positive that it would be much much higher than the 'preliminary' findings could support. At least it's achievable in the long run, but to trot out the numbers now is just plain silly. Myers, being a prof, *knows* this, but he's either blinded by ideological loyalty or just plain dishonest.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Over on the A+ Moderator thread of Ceaseless Amusement, we learn that ignoring rude people is tone policing and silences them.

You can't even opt to ignore people over there without getting told off. Ridiculous.
Using that logic any mod who bans a person for whatever reason is tone policing.
And another thing, aren't these the same people who, when we complain of being silenced use the argument that "ONLY DE GOVERNMINT CAN SILENCE YOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!! U CAN STILL POST ON THE INTERNET SO U IS NOT SILENCED!!!111!!! FREEZE PEACH HAHAHAHAH!!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!"?

Fail.
Well, that makes sense.

Fun fact: Growing up I never heard my parents argue. Maybe now and then one raised their voice in exasperation for about 10 seconds, but my mother is a relentlessly pleasant person and my father is just freaking stoic.

So, when I could hear the neighbors going at it, this was completely outside my experience. To this day I can't quite accept that people will actually stand there and yell at each other.

I've been in relationships with women who actually thought there was something "healthy" and "cathartic" about screaming shit that no one actually means. I refuse to do it.

Just my last relationship the past summer, I knew exactly the point she was done. She was ticked off about something or other and I could see she was gearing up. So I just walked away. Not avoidance. I just hold that if something is important enough to argue about, it can wait until a person can talk to me like an adult.

After that she brought it up a couple times. It was bad. It was wrong. I was denying her something or other. Fuck that.

Funny that the people who are so big on "safe spaces" and "being comfortable" demand that people do the internet version of Private Snow Flake while the forum hard-asses do their impersonation of R. Lee Ermy screaming in their faces.

That some feminists actually argue that a man walking away from some ranting, histrionic tantrum-induced harpy constitutes abuse by him on her, still boggles my fucking mind.
A lot of people, for some reason, think that bottling up one's anger is unhealthy. This is partially true, but the healthy way to deal with anger is to get it resolved, not fly off the handle at someone, as so many people seem to think.
I'm not sure it is a 'letting out the anger' thing. I see a lot of people who take the attitude that the world will fuck them over, so you have do the fucking over first. And any slight against you, real or perceived should be met with maximum aggression. Obviously these people are always complete losers, who take no responsibility for their lot and always have somebody else to blame for their misfortunes.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Submariner wrote:Pay gap, pffttt.
Yeah I turned that video off as soon as he started talking nursing. The analyses that compare apples to apples and control for industry, annual hours worked, education, uninterrupted years in the workforce, etc., are quite compelling and narrow the "gap" so much that the patriarchy begins to look rather ... impotent.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Ophelia Benson wrote:I remember battles over skirts v jeans when I was a child. I remember always always always wanting to be allowed to stay in jeans at all times because skirts are so damn inhibiting. I didn’t use that word, of course, but I hated wearing skirts and that was why. Skirts are an invention to make girls and women unable to move freely. The whole point is that if you make a wrong move everybody will be able to peer at your crotch! Gotcha! I see Spain, I see France, I see Sally’s underpants. It’s the underage version of talk about kicking women in the cunt. (link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... /#comments)
Bold mine. She still won't shut up about this. :doh:

Anyway, since the article in question is about a religious employee who wanted to wear a skirt to work, chances are it's something like this:

[spoiler]http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/ ... 838348.jpg[/spoiler]

and not something like this:

[spoiler]http://www4.pictures.stylebistro.com/gi ... xKpbYl.jpg[/spoiler]

Kind of hard to "move the wrong way" in the former. Also kind of hard to claim that the wide variety of looser skirts available make women unable to move freely. Not only that, pants can inhibit certain kinds of movement too. And ditto for male skirts, such as kilts. Also, the patriarchy sure is ancient: http://news.am/eng/news/73915.html

So, so many things wrong with OB.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Apples wrote:
Yeah I turned that video off as soon as he started talking nursing. The analyses that compare apples to apples and control for industry, annual hours worked, education, uninterrupted years in the workforce, etc., are quite compelling and narrow the "gap" so much that the patriarchy begins to look rather ... impotent.

My girlfriend/live-in partner/non-wife makes more than I do, and she's never even been to sea on a vessel designed to sink and built by the lowest bidder.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

So let me get this straight, according to PZ, I'm a bad guy (or a "troll") for suggesting they help out Natalie too?

Also, why is it so important how much I gave? Which if we're to make it a point, PZ never said himself. Pompous prick.

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

And now for something completely different...

Throwing panties at men. It's a girl thing.

[youtube]-BdnKW3R_Zk[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Ophelia Benson wrote:I remember battles over skirts v jeans when I was a child. I remember always always always wanting to be allowed to stay in jeans at all times because skirts are so damn inhibiting. I didn’t use that word, of course, but I hated wearing skirts and that was why. Skirts are an invention to make girls and women unable to move freely. The whole point is that if you make a wrong move everybody will be able to peer at your crotch! Gotcha! I see Spain, I see France, I see Sally’s underpants. It’s the underage version of talk about kicking women in the cunt. (link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... /#comments)
Not to mention those underage would still have to magically transform themselves into women before they do any kicking of the cunts. (I'm pretty sure in franc's article, being a woman was a pre-requisite.)

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Wonderist wrote:Don't get me wrong. I have no clue what the denominators are. The point is, neither does PZ. And you're right, this is only one of the basic problems with the 'analysis' provided. Even if the numbers are reasonably large, they need to take into account the fact that the data has been collected non-randomly.
Not just non-randomly, but pretty much the worst kind of non-random process: self-selected convenience sampling. People who take the survey are quite likely to be those who spend too much time in online forums and/or reading atheist blogs, which is bound to skew the results.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Metalogic42 wrote:

Anyway, since the article in question is about a religious employee who wanted to wear a skirt to work, chances are it's something like this:

Kind of hard to "move the wrong way" in the former. Also kind of hard to claim that the wide variety of looser skirts available make women unable to move freely. Not only that, pants can inhibit certain kinds of movement too. And ditto for male skirts, such as kilts. Also, the patriarchy sure is ancient: http://news.am/eng/news/73915.html

khyber.jpg
(8.77 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
"so damn inhibiting"

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

From Peez's 'Data about Secularism' thread http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-545198
kbonn

25 January 2013 at 9:39 am (UTC -6)

This whole post PZ seems a bit premature. Once they hit 10,000 responses they are going to post the full numbers. There is a lot we cannot tell from percentages alone.

Particularly this part:

What are your reasons for not being involved in the secular movement? Check as many as apply.
(women/men)
70%/30% – Bad experience with group, person, or event
100%/0% – Can’t get over my conditioning that religion is good and secularism is bad
67%/33% – Health issues
65%/35% – Lack of childcare

The imbalance is important, but what are the totals? For example, why are women staying out due to health issues more? Is that total significantly higher than the other 3? What were the total responses? How systemic is this problem? Clearly women have had more bad experiences then men, but it could be statisticly irrelevant compared to one(or more) of the other options, or it could be the most significant issue by far. We just have no idea yet.

Same point to the “feeling unwelcome”, without the raw numbers we don’t really have any idea how bad the issue is. I am glad they are doing the survey, but this post seems premature. If only (random small number, say 200 people) said they don’t feel welcome, yes it sucks that woman have a higher percentage of people who feel unwelcome, but we’d be looking at 124 women out of 4,170. Or it could be much, much higher. Simply put, why rush this out?
I'm definitely intrigued by those numbers - still, from the looks of things, the likes of Sally Syringe have already got it sussed.
70%/30% – Bad experience with group, person, or event
That totes because of all the sexism you get at Atheist/secular cons, y'know.
100%/0% – Can’t get over my conditioning that religion is good and secularism is bad
Yeah, cos that's totes because there's no sexism in...um, religion.
67%/33% – Health issues
Er...germs are misogynists.
Yeah! Lack of childcare - totes the work of testerically unhinged male supremacist assholes, like, um, the people running the CFI Women in Secularism conferences...or something.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Sara Mayhew and Briget Gaudette discuss the problems with the survey.
Interestingly Gaudette reveals one of those rare cases of physical harrassment at a conference.
Despite actual testimony of these incidents being gold-dust to the FTB/Skepchick crew, I somehow don't think we'll be hearing much about this case in future - at least not from them.

http://i.imgur.com/ZoPTcX8.jpg

astrokid.nj

Post by astrokid.nj »

cunt wrote: I can almost feel the sane feminists cringing. He is joking right?
The vid has 129K+ views, and was promoted by jezebel. I liked the first comment there
whedonfangirl 3 months ago
Video was great, but why not get a female comedian to do this?
Same old tiresome arguments. There's a YT response: Five Flawed Feminist Frustrations with loads of links to backup the argument.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

astrokid.nj wrote:
cunt wrote: I can almost feel the sane feminists cringing. He is joking right?
The vid has 129K+ views, and was promoted by jezebel. I liked the first comment there
whedonfangirl 3 months ago
Video was great, but why not get a female comedian to do this?
Same old tiresome arguments. There's a YT response: Five Flawed Feminist Frustrations with loads of links to backup the argument.
The funny thing is that you can use the standard SJW arguments back at them to dismiss the entire video without engaging it at all.

Because it is narrated by men, we can just label it mansplainin'!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tigzy wrote:
Yeah! Lack of childcare - totes the work of testerically unhinged male supremacist assholes, like, um, the people running the CFI Women in Secularism conferences...or something.
No, see, Tigzy, it's not their fault, they haven't gotten a grant. (Damn it, need to find that tweet by Melody.)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Regardless of gender, all uninvolved respondents are asked: What are your reasons for not being involved in the secular movement? Check as many as apply. Women outnumber men in these responses:
Alright, so, they've just removed people who are currently involved in the scepticism (*spits*) movement. These are the people who aren't currently involved.
70%/30% - Bad experience with group, person, or event
This part is "tick all that apply". Out of the people who ticked that box, 70 percent were women. This says nothing about the scale of the problem, what it says is that 70 percent (curiously round number there) had a bad experience.
And women are the only respondents to select these answers:

100%/0% - Unwanted advances by other participants
100%/0% - Not sure - I can't put my finger on it
Shocking, we can now say, with absolute certainty that at least one woman had an unwanted advance. Or says she did, on an internet poll. Which are shit and useless until they totes confirm your beliefs.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

From FTB article Women can be as stupid and misogynistic as men by Taslima Nasreen:
A post about female legislators proposing awful rape/abortion laws.

One commenter:
Sarmistha

January 26, 2013 at 12:57 am (UTC 5.5)

THESE CREATURES ARE BEARERS OF PATRIARCHY…. NO DOUBT MEN WHO LIKE TO TAKE PLEASURE BY OPPRESSING WOMEN WOULD BE DELIGHTED FOR THE MEASURES CREATED BY THESE honourable Women…. what do these women want???? a pat of praise on their back????? patriarchy is greatly perpetuated by this kind of people irrespective male and female….

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Another thing about the video: how long until it gets called out for using ableist and gendered slurs ("crazy" and "cooter")?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

d4m10n wrote:Even if the denominators of those percentages turn out to be reasonably large, I'm willing to bet my entire homeless charity fund that they still wouldn't be representative of the conference circuit, which gets most of the blog attention but relatively few of the actual people. Most secular people interact mostly with their local groups pretty much of the time. If they get turned on or off the freethought or skeptical movement it will most likely happen at that level.
Am I missing something here? Please spell it out for me because I'm not feeling sufficiently fortified for a foray into Baboonland. Has the source of this discomfort been identified?

codelette

Post by codelette »

Submariner wrote:
Apples wrote:

My girlfriend/live-in partner/non-wife makes more than I do, and she's never even been to sea on a vessel designed to sink and built by the lowest bidder.
I make a lot more money than my husband. He's a graphic designer. I am a Telecom Engineer. At some point, I wanted to try breaking into the culinary world. Worked the line in fine-dining restaurants. He made more than me.
My ex-husband is also a Telecom Engineer. We worked for the same employer. He started working six months before me. Based on geographical assignment, I made 5k more than him.
So, yeah, pay depends on various factors: field, geo-location, how "rare" you are...

...yeah, after being hired you discover that because you are a female with a "manly" degree; you are golden in the COTUS.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Submariner wrote:From FTB article Women can be as stupid and misogynistic as men by Taslima Nasreen:
A post about female legislators proposing awful rape/abortion laws.

One commenter:
Sarmistha

January 26, 2013 at 12:57 am (UTC 5.5)

THESE CREATURES ARE BEARERS OF PATRIARCHY…. NO DOUBT MEN WHO LIKE TO TAKE PLEASURE BY OPPRESSING WOMEN WOULD BE DELIGHTED FOR THE MEASURES CREATED BY THESE honourable Women…. what do these women want???? a pat of praise on their back????? patriarchy is greatly perpetuated by this kind of people irrespective male and female….
How bizarre. I'm guessing, at some point in Sarmistha's life, that she was asked by a male to make him a sammich. At which occurrence, reality suddenly morphed into a 2D display of flickering green vectors, and to the sound of a 16-bit low-frequency-effect explosion, she realised that it was indeed 'Game Over' and that the patriarchy had won, owing to the message that swam before her eyes:
ALL YOUR WOMB ARE BELONG TO US

cunt

Post by cunt »

Check out the skeptics
hjhornbeck
24 January 2013 at 9:08 am (UTC -6)
Wow. I’ll be sharing this one around.
Louis
24 January 2013 at 9:35 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment
Oh PZ, but you must know this is all lies and not a real problem. And stuff. Because, erm, I said so, that’s why.

Louis
mouthyb
24 January 2013 at 9:40 am (UTC -6)
I just love the smell of confirming data in the morning. *sniff* Smells a little like “we told you so, assholes.”
SallyStrange: Elite Femi-Fascist Genius
25 January 2013 at 10:26 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment
Simply put, why rush this out?

I suppose, because after two years or so of testerically unhinged male supremacist assholes screaming us that BITCHES BE LYING about the harassment, and WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE because they can’t just take a woman’s word for what happened to her, it’s nice to have something that backs up what hundreds (thousands?) of people have been saying all along.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Ophie, don't just cry about it, DO something about it!

When I was in grade 6 (in the 70s), my school allowed girls to wear either skirts/dresses or dress pants. Boys were allowed dress pants or jeans. Girls were not allowed to wear jeans.

I got my first pair of jeans (bellbottoms, but the later type that were straight instead of curved) that year. I asked my mother (who was very much for equal rights for everyone) if she would write me a letter to the school telling them that they were not allowed to have different rules for girls and boys, and that she gives me permission to wear jeans at school. She wrote it.

There was no fuss made. I presented it to the principal and he agreed. From then on, me and other girls too, wore jeans to school sometimes.

Cue Rocky Horror song "don't dream it, be it".

ThreeFlangedJavis

cunt wrote:
I can almost feel the sane feminists cringing. He is joking right? Equal pay is a legitimate feminist concern, but it refers to equal pay for equal work. Complaining that nurses get paid less than the average construction worker as if it were a misogynistic culture that promotes this is retarded. They're just two different jobs and the employer will always pay the least they feel they can get away with.

When male nurses get paid less than female construction workers (they do) people don't scream about the matriarchy.
Nursing! Now there's a profession with some serious anti-male bias. In one survey of nursing students, 89% of male students had heard anti-male sentiment expressed by faculty. The discrimination can be fairly nasty.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

But boys still can't wear dresses. And on a hot and humid day, sorry but wearing a jacket, tie, dress shirt, and dress pants REALLY FUCKING SUCKS!

Apples

Post by Apples »

:think: Over at Thunderdome there is a conversation about whether Turd of Redhead needs to find a word other than POOF when he presses his "poof fuckwittery opinion dismissed" button. He seems rather disgruntled, as it's apparently the only toy in his pram.

Actually started because "cm's changeable moniker" suggested *as a joke* that it shouldn't be used due to its being "harsh Brit slang for gay men." Of course Caine promptly affirms that she will no longer use it in her writing.

ChasCPeterson weighs in: "y’know, one alternative might be to not post the same words (whatever words) over and over and over and over and over and over. But that’s an opinion." :D

Nerd considers that he might begin using SGBM's suggestion, which is "Foof."

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... derdome-15

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
cunt wrote:

Nursing! Now there's a profession with some serious anti-male bias. In one survey of nursing students, 89% of male students had heard anti-male sentiment expressed by faculty. The discrimination can be fairly nasty.
In the UK a lot of nurses in my experience are male - mostly gay I grant you - but still male. Never heard of them getting discrimination. But if they did get anti-male comments, I'm going to personally bet it was by other men.

And yeah they get the same shit pay that female nurses do - and are still woefully undervalued

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

d4m10n wrote:Not just non-randomly, but pretty much the worst kind of non-random process: self-selected convenience sampling. People who take the survey are quite likely to be those who spend too much time in online forums and/or reading atheist blogs, which is bound to skew the results.
Even this can be overcome with a large enough sample size, assuming it's not intentionally/systemically biased by the investigators. Just advertise it far and wide, and eventually the numbers are bound to approach the true mean with some reasonable confidence interval. I'm talking theoretically, here. If the bias is severe, then it may not be practical to overcome by increasing sampling size. In theory, though, it is possible. In any case, the larger the sample, the more trustworthy the findings, all else being equal.

(There are some biases that are built into this survey that will be impossible to overcome, such as it being an internet survey. However, these biases do not seem to me to be related to the topic at hand, feeling 'comfortable' in the secular movement vs. religion, so I wouldn't expect controlling for internet availability to change those results either way.)

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

[youtube]-AftT-T2b1M[/youtube]

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:

khyber.jpg
"so damn inhibiting"

I wore a kilt for a friends wedding, and I must say, it felt quite liberating to me. It truly amazes me how easily they are able to blame men for their own personal preferences. I know several women who prefer wearing skirts to pants, and some that hate skirts. But to suggest that skirts were designed to inhibit women's movements??? where the fuck does that kind of persecution complex come from?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Apples wrote::think: Over at Thunderdome there is a conversation about whether Turd of Redhead needs to find a word other than POOF when he presses his "poof fuckwittery opinion dismissed" button. He seems rather disgruntled, as it's apparently the only toy in his pram.

Actually started because "cm's changeable moniker" suggested *as a joke* that it shouldn't be used due to its being "harsh Brit slang for gay men." Of course Caine promptly affirms that she will no longer use it in her writing.

ChasCPeterson weighs in: "y’know, one alternative might be to not post the same words (whatever words) over and over and over and over and over and over. But that’s an opinion." :D

SAY IT AIN'T SO!! THE EVIL PATRIARCHY KNOWS NO BOUNDS!

Talk about first world issues. :doh:

comslave

Post by comslave »

Submariner wrote:PZed at it again:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ecularism/

Regardless of gender, all respondents who are or have been involved in the secular movement are asked: Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed in the secular movement? Women outnumber men 62%/34% in responding “Yes.” It is worth noting that women do not outnumber men when asked the same question about religious organizations with which they’ve been associated. It appears they are less comfortable in secular groups than in the churches they left.
If you come to an event expecting to be coddled and woreshipped, and it doesn't happen, you're just treated like a normal person, then yes, you will leave feeling unwelcomed. This is really a measure of their sense of entitlement.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Apples wrote::think: Over at Thunderdome there is a conversation about whether Turd of Redhead needs to find a word other than POOF when he presses his "poof fuckwittery opinion dismissed" button. He seems rather disgruntled, as it's apparently the only toy in his pram.

Ahahahahahah

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

This guy has feminists pegged:
Conservative Christian radio hosts Kevin Swanson and Dave Buehner explained on a Tuesday segment of their “Generations with a Vision” show that there are “two kinds of feminism,” the “Sarah Palin kind of feminism that wants to have a husband” kind and the “selfish, narcissistic, family-destroying whores” kind.

“Now remember, the goal is that these women have to be independent,” Swanson said on a show devoted to the idea that rising college costs were contributing to an alleged spike in prostitution. “The goal is lots and lots of birth control. The goal is lots and lots and lots of fornication. The goal is abortion. The day-after pill will help. And it will help a lot. Remember, the goal is to get that girl a job because she needs no stinkin’ husband, she’s got the fascist corporation and government-mandated insurance programs and socialist welfare that will take care of her womb to tomb. Who needs a cotton-pickin’ husband? Who needs a family? That’s pretty much the worldview that’s dominating, my friends. That’s what the college is all about.”
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/25/c ... ng-whores/

p.s. hey, I just posted a link to a site, quoted a bit of the article, and now I am commenting on it. Does this mean I can now blog for FTB like my hero Ophelia Benson?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Snowball sampling:
In sociology and statistics research, snowball sampling[1] (or chain sampling, chain-referral sampling, referral sampling[2][3]) is a non-probability sampling technique where existing study subjects recruit future subjects from among their acquaintances. Thus the sample group appears to grow like a rolling snowball (similarly to breadth-first search (BFS) in computer science). As the sample builds up, enough data is gathered to be useful for research. This sampling technique is often used in hidden populations which are difficult for researchers to access; example populations would be drug users or sex workers. As sample members are not selected from a sampling frame, snowball samples, analogously to BFS samples,[4][5] are subject to numerous biases. For example, people who have many friends are more likely to be recruited into the sample.

It was widely believed that it was impossible to make unbiased estimates from snowball samples, but a variation of snowball sampling called respondent-driven sampling[6][7][8] has been shown to allow researchers to make asymptotically unbiased estimates from snowball samples under certain conditions. Snowball sampling and respondent-driven sampling also allows researchers to make estimates about the social network connecting the hidden population.
(Definitely some major lag in posting.)

ThreeFlangedJavis

Metalogic42 wrote:

Ophelia, please get it right. Who mentioned kicking WOMEN in the cunt? 'Cunt kick' was all about kicking YOU, an individual WOMAN, in the cunt.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

"Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed in the secular movement?"

But that's not what they asked.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Al Stefanelli wrote: Natalie and I have had our disagreements, and there is much about what she writes that I do not agree with. However, I've been homeless and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, not even the FC(n). Just my two cents..
BTW... I got email from Natalie. My impression is that she will be fine.

I am not going to reveal the contents of the email, other to note that she appears to be already doing what was suggested before I contacted her.

Finally, she expressed appreciation and thanks for the concern.

sKepptiksowat

Re: elementary, my dear twatson

Post by sKepptiksowat »

Apples wrote:
[spoiler]Hmm. Looks like she's allergic to everything. No wonder she's so surly.
http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads ... y-test.jpg[/spoiler]
Well, I guess it's shoop time.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Am I missing something here? Please spell it out for me because I'm not feeling sufficiently fortified for a foray into Baboonland. Has the source of this discomfort been identified?
I don't think they bothered asking in the survey, just the vague combined question. Feminists, and especially fallen, formerly-scientific, feminists like PZ, will assume that men caused their discomfort. And also that the discomfort was a sexual one. How can they tell it apart from let's say, maybe a rich la-di-da woman felt uncomfortable with all the ordinary casual-dress folks. Or maybe she was accosted by a woman.

A commentor on one of Franc's articles (or was it Justicar's?) said that Watson once came up to her and kissed her without asking or warning or anything. It's not necessarily men who can make the women uncomfortable. I would be uncomfortable at one of those conventions if it had those disapproving, tsk tsk, feminist bloggers attending or worse speaking. Yuck, who wants to be around the We See Sexism Everywhere And Whine Club. Or, who wants to be the next Stef McGraw who Twatson insulted from her podium during a speech?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

How do they manage to find the time to even brush their teeth in the morning?

Anon

Post by Anon »

[spoiler]
Metalogic42 wrote:
Ophelia Benson wrote:I remember battles over skirts v jeans when I was a child. I remember always always always wanting to be allowed to stay in jeans at all times because skirts are so damn inhibiting. I didn’t use that word, of course, but I hated wearing skirts and that was why. Skirts are an invention to make girls and women unable to move freely. The whole point is that if you make a wrong move everybody will be able to peer at your crotch! Gotcha! I see Spain, I see France, I see Sally’s underpants. It’s the underage version of talk about kicking women in the cunt. (link: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... mments)

[/spoiler]

Just jumping in to say that that article doesnt say how they know its specifically a woman's skirt. Unless it was found in a specificall female context (as judged by the ancient culture, not ours) then its simply a skirt. Also men wearing skirts or skirt equivalents is quite common. Look at the romans' togas. Or look up the death of the kilt as every day wear. You'll find it was hard to get those guys to give up their skirts.

Also, if you want to oppress women, I think you're horrible, but if you really want to DO IT RIGHT! Making them wear skirts is pretty lame.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

cunt wrote:Check out the skeptics
hjhornbeck
24 January 2013 at 9:08 am (UTC -6)
Wow. I’ll be sharing this one around.
"Did anyone hear an echo in here?" .... "Did anyone hear an echo in here? ...."
Louis
24 January 2013 at 9:35 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment
Oh PZ, but you must know this is all lies and not a real problem. And stuff. Because, erm, I said so, that’s why.

Louis
"You must know that this is legit statistics. And stuff. Because, erm, I said so, that’s why."
mouthyb
24 January 2013 at 9:40 am (UTC -6)
I just love the smell of confirming data in the morning. *sniff* Smells a little like “we told you so, assholes.”
"I just love the smell of confirming bias in the morning."
Fixed.
SallyStrange: Elite Femi-Fascist Genius
25 January 2013 at 10:26 am (UTC -6) Link to this comment
Simply put, why rush this out?

I suppose, because after two years or so of testerically unhinged male supremacist assholes screaming us that BITCHES BE LYING about the harassment, and WHERE IS THE EVIDENCE because they can’t just take a woman’s word for what happened to her, it’s nice to have something that backs up what hundreds (thousands?) of people have been saying all along.
So, basically, you're admitting that you've been going around for two years without any evidence to support your claims, and now -- just now -- are finally able to quote some premature stats that don't even support your specific claims in the first place. Yeah. If it wasn't so pathetically like creationists, vaccine denialists, climate denialists, etc., it would almost be worthy of letting out a gasp of relief over. Almost.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Anon wrote:Just jumping in to say that that article doesnt say how they know its specifically a woman's skirt. Unless it was found in a specificall female context (as judged by the ancient culture, not ours) then its simply a skirt.
You're right, the article doesn't say. However, it does say it's "superbly preserved", and it's safe to assume that the people who discovered it have experts on the culture it came from among them, and could identify it as such.

Or, maybe it's bad reporting.

Apples

Post by Apples »

debaser71 wrote:"Have you ever felt unwelcome, discriminated against, or harmed in the secular movement?"

But that's not what they asked.
Yeah - it's infuriating. Their methodology is poopoo kaka.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Wonderist wrote:
d4m10n wrote:Not just non-randomly, but pretty much the worst kind of non-random process: self-selected convenience sampling. People who take the survey are quite likely to be those who spend too much time in online forums and/or reading atheist blogs, which is bound to skew the results.
Even this can be overcome with a large enough sample size, assuming it's not intentionally/systemically biased by the investigators. Just advertise it far and wide, and eventually the numbers are bound to approach the true mean with some reasonable confidence interval. I'm talking theoretically, here.
Self-selection is itself a form of systemic bias. People who care enough to share their opinions with online pollsters might be only a fraction of the overall population of secular people in the U.S.

ThreeFlangedJavis

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
cunt wrote:

In the UK a lot of nurses in my experience are male - mostly gay I grant you - but still male. Never heard of them getting discrimination. But if they did get anti-male comments, I'm going to personally bet it was by other men.

And yeah they get the same shit pay that female nurses do - and are still woefully undervalued
In the US only 6% of nurses are male. The UK figure is just over 10%. I don't know what the situation is in the UK regarding discrimination, but there is a recognised anti-male bias in nursing generally, and at least some of it is due to resentment from women at men encroaching on their space.