Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Old subthreads
jimthepleb

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my dick[/spoiler]

Post by jimthepleb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm not the person I pretend to be here.

I mean, I have the same name, same address, same life, same face, same everything... except for the attitude. This place is such a relief from everyday pressure, I would leave if it was to change.

Alternatively, I could be Barry Crocker...
If we split this thread into 3
1. Serious A/S discussion
2. SJW take downs
3. The Lulz (no holds barred)

who would go where?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

fascination wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
fascination wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:I'm convinced 'cunt' is shermer too
and ape+lust is harris....at least i think i have that the right way round.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you here. I think Dick Strawkins is Shermer. Believe me, I have my reasons....
Who am I?
You know, I didn't think that you were anyone famous but now you've aroused my suspicions. Im going to keep my eyes on you from now on Metalogic!! :think:
You were supposed to say "24601". Joke failed.

Really, I'm no one important, just a random net browser with an interest in skepticism.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Metalogic42 wrote:
fascination wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:

Really, I'm no one important, just a random net browser with an interest in skepticism.
I was joking too hon. But really, how do you know who you are talking to on here?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I mean, I have the same name, same address, same life, same face, same everything... except for the attitude. This place is such a relief from everyday pressure, I would leave if it was to change.

Alternatively, I could be Chris Crocker...
FTFY
[youtube]kHmvkRoEowc[/youtube]

Dan

Post by Dan »

Ophie said
”I’M A BIT OF A CUNT WHEN I’M ON ACID!!!”
Geddit? I’m ancient and disgusting, I’m a cunt, and I deserve some acid. Funny stuff.

I meant tripping on acid you stupid cunt. Fuck off Ophie.

Metalogic42

Re: Here You Go....

Post by Metalogic42 »

Mykeru wrote:This should be fun:

[youtube]b_7SRa_xQNQ[/youtube]
48 minutes, jeez. I'll get back to you on that one. :P

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

jimthepleb wrote:

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
For me: 3. Always the lulz. I tend to never post in mischief, just light mockery and sometimes (though rarely) finger-pointing if needed. That would be me switching from 3 to 2 from time to time. 1? Yes, probably would visit if the subject is interesting, but these days it seems to be encompassed in 2, as far as this little blogosphere goes.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

fascination wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
fascination wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:

I was joking too hon. But really, how do you know who you are talking to on here?
The hidden cameras.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
For me: 3. Always the lulz. I tend to never post in mischief, just light mockery and sometimes (though rarely) finger-pointing if needed. That would be me switching from 3 to 2 from time to time. 1? Yes, probably would visit if the subject is interesting, but these days it seems to be encompassed in 2, as far as this little blogosphere goes.
So, in fact, the Pit's PToS.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

jimthepleb wrote:

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
I'd visit all three.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

fascination wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
fascination wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:

A lil google and u'll find my utube channel and see my gorgeous fizzog (and all my family)...no'one is hard to find;)
speaking of which BB in 46mins

AbsurdWalls

Re: Here You Go....

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Mykeru wrote:This should be fun:

[youtube]b_7SRa_xQNQ[/youtube]
This ought to be good...

Altair

Post by Altair »

jimthepleb wrote:If we split this thread into 3
2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
I would go to number 2 and number 3 the most, and sometimes to number 1.
The thing I like about the pit's single thread though, is that I don't have to choose between jokes, seriousness and take downs, I just come here and go where the current takes me.

welch

Post by welch »

Dan wrote:Ophie said
Geddit? I’m ancient and disgusting, I’m a cunt, and I deserve some acid. Funny stuff.

Meh. No point in explaining it, because she is ignoring you anyway.

Bet you could have fun at a meeting just by walking up and going 'boo!".

fascination

Post by fascination »

jimthepleb wrote: If we split this thread into 3
2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
I would definitely read all three but I dont know about posting. I would post in one and two. I'm not sure about three. I personally don't post jokes about people's looks and that sort of thing. I would at least read the third thread though.

incognito

Post by incognito »

Can I get a definition of SJW as it's used here? I know what it stands for, but I consider UHC activism to be a social justice thing, and consider people like Margaret Flowers to be *actual* SJWs:

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/02052 ... file3.html

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I hate you Mykeru, for making me look at Ophelia:(

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

welch wrote:

Funny thing: Here we have an expression "les anglais ont débarqué" (the brits have landed) which means "I have my periods" (red jacket, get it? Get it? Wink wink nudge nudge).

Does she really think if I used this expression, Admiral Nelson would walk down her livingroom?

Boo indeed!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote: Why did you jump into this fray (serious question)? Do you by chance like conflict for the sake of conflict or did you find something objectionable needing corrective measure, or something else entirely?
This fray about how we should behave on this forum you mean? I don't know maybe it's because I get a bit sick of people thinking they have some authority over my actions on a site I have been a member of since it's inception (and on which you have been whining about how rude and nasty we all are since day one). If you and the rest of your Edwardian Ladies Sewing Circle want to behave in a certain way, then carry on, just don't tell me to act in a similar fashion to promote your aims, which are not my aims.
I am soooo sorry for having an opinion on how I should behave. Please forgive me.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

The pitstorm

[youtube]ihYwcaxEEUk[/youtube]

We've had this debate before, we will continue to have this debate as long as the pit remains chaotic. I enjoy chaos, i believe chaos generates creativity that is otherwise stifled. I understand why others wish to curtail the chaos, i'm as of yet unconvinced. At my bar fish and chips gets served with a helping of lobster.

fascination

Post by fascination »

Altair wrote:
2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
The thing I like about the pit's single thread though, is that I don't have to choose between jokes, seriousness and take downs, I just come here and go where the current takes me.
This! I don't see the point in splitting the threads for this particular issue. The "naughty" stuff will still be on the same forum (just in a different thread) so how will it change anything? They will still tell us that we need to renounce the Pit and that it's a hotbed of misogyny. Yada, yada, yada...

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Altair wrote:
2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
Oh shit it's not a suggestion....woe betide. I love the pit as is...cept the last 24hrs...could do without the moralfagging but then i have troll DNA.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

incognito wrote:Can I get a definition of SJW as it's used here? I know what it stands for, but I consider UHC activism to be a social justice thing, and consider people like Margaret Flowers to be *actual* SJWs:

I can't, and I am not, speaking for anyone here, but I have always thought that the 'pit uses the term sarcastically as a way to describe self-important assholes such as Setar. I imagine Setar thinking: "I am so much better than everyone else, I am a brave, selfless, and oh so righteous social justice warrior."

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Altair wrote:
2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
Tend to agree with you on that – bit of a hassle to be switching to different topic threads. While there are places for that – dedicated debates on a particular topic, for example – a pub generally isn’t one of them.

Seems to me that a useful synthesis might be to implement a system whereby subtopics in a given thread could be collapsed as with the “foe” system. Would require that people make some effort to create new “Re: topics” when they are making a comment that is unrelated to previous ones, but it might be worth the effort ….

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Submariner wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Spoons is often used by feminist as a non-gendered alternative for "balls", for example: "I overheard the guy on the train make a really sexist comment but I didn't have the spoons to call him on it."
It comes from their concept of "teaspooning" which means to do tiny, seemingly insignificant actions which will accumulate over time to achieve feminist utopia. I learned this from Shakesville who used to use as a slogan "Teaspoon by teaspoon we'll empty the ocean."

Where are they gonna put the water?
Gravity is just a tool of the patriarchy, you stupid MAN. Once they've emptied the ocean enough to have exposed and dismantled the better part of the patriarchy, and they can flourish in all their feminine power, the water will stay wherever they put it.

Silly MAN, don't you know how SCIENCE works?

incognito

Post by incognito »

another lurker wrote:
incognito wrote:Can I get a definition of SJW as it's used here? I know what it stands for, but I consider UHC activism to be a social justice thing, and consider people like Margaret Flowers to be *actual* SJWs:

I can't, and I am not, speaking for anyone here, but I have always thought that the 'pit uses the term sarcastically as a way to describe self-important assholes such as Setar. I imagine Setar thinking: "I am so much better than everyone else, I am a brave, selfless, and oh so righteous social justice warrior."
I like to think it's code for people who look around on the internet for things to get outraged about, desperately try to superimpose upon their own lives, and berate other netziens over, all in the name of "social justice"?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Urban dictionary has a good definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sjw

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I can only speak for myself, but SJW is derisive for me...social justice is absolutely necessary and an important part of my active political life. But to be called an SJW would offend me deeply. It refers to the slacktivist who sits behind their keyboards whinging about how unfair life is cos they got picked on for having long hair...or people who make youtube video's saying 'guys don't do that' knowing full well guys ARE going to do that, and then capitalising on that.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
I'd go to all three post pictures of fatties and say naughty words. What is better in life than to make grown men, who are online without notes from their mums, cry?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

(slamming my head onto my desk over and over and over again)

Why the fuck can't Ophelia and her ilk get it through their heads that not fucking liking someone or disagreeing with them (and yes, even making photoshopped bullshit or poking fun at their looks) is NOT fucking misogyny????

Repeat after me Ophie, you stupid cow, "Misogyny is the hatred of women".

Dumbass.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

incognito wrote:
another lurker wrote:

I like to think it's code for people who look around on the internet for things to get outraged about, desperately try to superimpose upon their own lives, and berate other netziens over, all in the name of "social justice"?
I read the definition provided by Ray, looks like you nailed it :P

They get outraged over grammar ffs. In fact, a few months ago, some Canadian SJW's got all pissy b/c some commenters on their blog were making sarcastic comments about pro-lifers, instead of 'advancing the conversation.' Of course, members of the 'in-group' on that blog could joke around all the time, and they almost never 'advanced the conversation', but THAT was not seen as a problem.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Hmm, that's a phrase that's hard to define, but I found this "know your meme" page and it comes close to what I think about the SJWs

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultur ... e-blogging
Social Justice Blogging is a type of blogging where the poster dedicates their time to demanding equality for racial minorities, women, LGBTQ groups, the disabled, etc. These bloggers are often criticized for being rude, obnoxious or misinformed about the topic, especially on Tumblr where people who mockingly called “social justice warriors”[1] will attempt to find any excuse to fight for their beliefs.
I wouldn't call your examples SJWs, but activists. To me, a SJW includes slacktivism, obnoxiousness and an inability to accept other points of view. They use privilege to shut others up, they are rude to people for not using the right pronous or being X-ists (ableist, sexist, racist, etc), and all that without actually acomplishing anything.

The best example I know SJWs are the A+ forum posters.

I hope that made a little bit of sense, it was hard to write a definition for that concept.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

What is UHC btw?

fascination

Post by fascination »

I realize that I am late to this discussion but I want to throw in my two cents. In my posts here I haven't made jokes about anyone's looks. I haven't photoshopped anyone's picture. I haven't even used any gendered swear words in any of my posts here. Do you know where that has gotten me? I get called the same names as the people who do all those things. I get tarred with the same brush as all the rest of you. I am called a gender traitor, a chill girl, brainwashed, sister punisher. All I wanted was to be treated like an equal, not a fucking victim. All I wanted a place were i could freely discuss these things. I guess if that makes me a "chill girl" then that's what I am!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

bhoytony wrote:
2. SJW take downs

who would go where?
I'd go to all three post pictures of fatties and say naughty words. What is better in life than to make grown men, who are online without notes from their mums, cry?
just between you and me bloke....i fucking love you....no homo...unless you want it

incognito

Post by incognito »

jimthepleb wrote:

What is UHC btw?
Universal health care.

fascination

Post by fascination »

I hit submit too soon and now I've lost my thoughts. Anyway, basically I just wanted to say I think that they will smear us no matter what. Look at what they're doing to Shermer. That's all

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Notung wrote:I'm off.

I'm trying to work out what to do about an alternative. Skeptic Ink is largely drama free and has comment threading (although the hits would be nice). My old blog might be ok - although turning off comment threading will mess up the older threads. But perhaps that's a small price to pay. Would anyone else be up for it or would it be a long thread of me talking to myself?

Or, I could just retire from opposing the SJWs. They've won. All they need to do is point to a few people saying incredibly stupid things (like in Zvan and Watson's most recent posts) and say "this is what I'm opposing". I can't stop the idiots from tweeting inanities at them, so why bother? The whole thing was getting boring and repetitive anyway. The time I was spending reading posts about someone else's blog about someone else saying "Oh my god I can't believe they said that" could have been spend reading a book. Or sleeping.

In ten years (or hopefully less) this'll all be a distant memory anyway, and atheists will be arguing about something else, like anti-philosophy in the atheist community. Did I mention the hate mail I get - simply for having done philosophy at uni? People keep sending me drawings of hemlock and supporting evil anti-philosophers like Lawrence Krauss and Stephen Hawking. I need a safe space to do my philosophy without being harassed by the Scientismpit.

Anyway, thanks Abbie and Lsuoma for administratorering (and doing a fine job of it - seriously). I'll still skim this place as a guest sometimes to read what the interesting posters are saying. Cheers.
I've been reading here two months, and I also read your blog on my regular trips to SIN. I appreciate your input.
Having said that, I think you're a bit naive if you think that anybody has "won" anything. I think you are being short-sighted by devaluing the Slymepit. If it's not for you because of style or the many different voices involved, fine, but don't try to pretend that nothing of value happens here, or even that it is outweighed by the silly stuff. It has been a relaxed place for those who needed a break from being vilified, and a place to document the ridiculousness going on. That alone is important enough for me.

I do hope you will check in when you have the time, and contribute when you feel like it. In the meantime, if you really want to set a better example, fucking do it. Nobody is holding you back. You probably won't get as much traffic and involvement without a lot of work, but it is silly to blame that on other people not being serious enough. I think the evidence is clear that having a sense of humor, and being willing to mock those who beg for it, is an important part of a vibrant community. A secular, skeptic, or atheist community that spends all it's time and energy acting as if it's a church group or a philosophy conference is not the community that most of us want, at least not all the time.

Best wishes and don't be a stranger unless you want to be a stranger.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

fascination wrote:I realize that I am late to this discussion but I want to throw in my two cents. In my posts here I haven't made jokes about anyone's looks. I haven't photoshopped anyone's picture. I haven't even used any gendered swear words in any of my posts here. Do you know where that has gotten me? I get called the same names as the people who do all those things. I get tarred with the same brush as all the rest of you. I am called a gender traitor, a chill girl, brainwashed, sister punisher. All I wanted was to be treated like an equal, not a fucking victim. All I wanted a place were i could freely discuss these things. I guess if that makes me a "chill girl" then that's what I am!
You and I both, sister. Though, I probably have used gendered swear words but I apply them liberally to all sexes :D

Steersman

Re: Now sponsored by [spoiler]my ego[/spoiler]

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:How do you stuff up telling a joke WHEN YOU'RE WRITING IT? It's not even like they made these jokes up and they're awkward; they're awkwardised them when they copied them from memory.
These people are bad. At everything.
(Well, except feeling sorry for themselves.)
Oh, do please leave the poor bastards alone!
They appear to be having fun in that thread, at nobody's expense.
That they are socially incompetent, and humour-impaired is probably the very reason that they wilfully & sensibly corral themselves in the A+ Lunatic Asylum.

Having "a go" at them for their inferiority to your level of humour-sophistication is a decidedly cheap shot.
Your energy might be better spent highlighting their more publicly damaging behaviours, such as flushing vulnerable newbies down the gurgler.

(Cue Welch, ordering me to not "advise" others what to do.)
That’s ok in my book as you emphasized “might”, rather than insisting on the truth of your ex cathedra statements. A welcome change, one might add … ;-)

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
welch wrote:

Funny thing: Here we have an expression "les anglais ont débarqué" (the ENGLISH*** have landed) which means "I have my periods" (red jacket, get it? Get it? Wink wink nudge nudge).

Does she really think if I used this expression, Admiral Nelson would walk down her livingroom?

Boo indeed!
OMFG phil u sew raysist!
*flounce*
(in your dreams motherfuckers)
I'm off for another bouteille de vin grenouille (correct me i'll hunt you down like mykeru with a cob on)

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

fascination wrote:I realize that I am late to this discussion but I want to throw in my two cents. In my posts here I haven't made jokes about anyone's looks. I haven't photoshopped anyone's picture. I haven't even used any gendered swear words in any of my posts here. Do you know where that has gotten me? I get called the same names as the people who do all those things. I get tarred with the same brush as all the rest of you. I am called a gender traitor, a chill girl, brainwashed, sister punisher. All I wanted was to be treated like an equal, not a fucking victim. All I wanted a place were i could freely discuss these things. I guess if that makes me a "chill girl" then that's what I am!
I have used gendered swear words, and made fun of people's looks. I find that if someone has an odious personality, they then become ugly to me. I would never make a fat joke, or an old joke, or any kind of mean joke about a person's looks (or intelligence) if I did not know anything about that person.

But an odious asshole such as Rush Limbuagh is fair game!

decius

Post by decius »

bhoytony wrote:
decius wrote: Why did you jump into this fray (serious question)? Do you by chance like conflict for the sake of conflict or did you find something objectionable needing corrective measure, or something else entirely?
This fray about how we should behave on this forum you mean? I don't know maybe it's because I get a bit sick of people thinking they have some authority over my actions on a site I have been a member of since it's inception (and on which you have been whining about how rude and nasty we all are since day one). If you and the rest of your Edwardian Ladies Sewing Circle want to behave in a certain way, then carry on, just don't tell me to act in a similar fashion to promote your aims, which are not my aims.
I am soooo sorry for having an opinion on how I should behave. Please forgive me.

No sorry, I was asking why you joined the debate and consequently the Pit or vice versa. What drew you to argue against FtB and A+, if you wish.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

fascination wrote:I hit submit too soon and now I've lost my thoughts. Anyway, basically I just wanted to say I think that they will smear us no matter what. Look at what they're doing to Shermer. That's all
This is what I've been trying to get across. The smearing started before this forum existed. The smearing started before the blog threads that led to this forum. Meyers, Watson, Benson, Laden, et al have been using these tactics long before Beccy's ill-fated elevator ride. It's just that when the target was creationists and such people let it slide.

Moreover, even if we joined hands tonight and declared that the 'Pit shall joke no more. it wouldn't change a fucking thing. We've all seen that the FTB lot will gladly take whatever idiotic crap is flung at them by any garden-variety troll and attribute it to those who disagree with them. Lee and Svan were being completely honest in their "terms" for engaging in "debate". Nothing less than complete and utter capitulation will satisfy them.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
comslave wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Mine, bitches.

http://www.alpenglowgear.com/Store/pc/c ... pen_LG.jpg

Just sayin'
Pah. I don't sleep on no stickin' ground.

http://i.imgur.com/wnMtnkr.jpg?2
Lightweight:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8193/8135 ... 3376_z.jpg
Ladies!
http://mrocci.lorexddns.net/2003_07_05/IM001939.JPG
Pffft...

http://www.nation.com.pk/print_images/4 ... 346737.jpg
GRR.... You win this time, Gadget!

P.S. There is not enough money in the world to get me in that last shot.

Brain Box

Post by Brain Box »

jimthepleb wrote:
Brain Box wrote:
Apples wrote:
Brain Box wrote:
Jack wrote:
He seemed to be under the delusion that if we we're all polite and nice it would make the slightest difference to their narrative. If they manage to pick up Shermer on a tiny point and twist it beyond recognition then us 'being nice' will make no difference at all.

There are also many attacks on FtB's/A+'s position going on, not just here of course. This is one approach, there are others and they ARE being done. No need to fix something that's not broke.

Their narrative doesn't really matter. What matters is those who are reading their narrative and comparing it to ours. Why is this so difficult to understand? The entire point of exposing their hypocrisy is to inform the wider community. The community is less likely to believe the validity of our arguments if we are acting like immature twats. Doesn't this matter, or is this forum purely masturbatory? I would hope not considering the time and energy many people here are putting into their blogs/podcasts/and twitter postings.
FFS go away. "The entire point" is to inform the wider community? No. That's a possible side-benefit of whateverthefuck individual 'pitters get out of reading/posting here. This whole discussion is considerably more boring than endless squabbling about Israel, and I wish those who want to clutch pearls about "the bigger picture" would do it elsewhere. Svan is a bitch and I can't believe people are allowing her to influence them. Her opinion is irrelevant to me, and so is all the handwringing about PR. The horse is out of the barn. If you want to tone-police, shut up for now and call out a future post if you want to complain about it -- see how that goes. Otherwise, please fuck off.

Wow, you fool. The entire discussion started because of what someone wrote (somedumbguy). Is your memory that fucking short? This has nothing to do with Svan, I couldn't give a shit what she thinks. However people here are going to call out posts they think are counter-productive or "cross the line," especially those who have a rooted intellectual investment in fighting FTB/A+/etc. irrationality and see this forum as important in that fight. Why do you post here, because making fat jokes adds a little joy to your life?
Wow, you fool. The entire discussion started because of what someone wrote, stephanie svan. Is your memory that fucking short? This has nothing to do with SDG.
Do some fucking research before you call bullshit on someone else you dumbass.
THIS conversation started after svan's latest BAWWW over 'horrid meanie shoops'
SDG is an entirely different matter. But if u wanna just pull shit outta ur arse go back to FtB
:lol:

Go back to the original posts by decius and others in regards to SDG's post. SDG's musings on who "deserves to be raped" and other tasteless posts like it is what triggered this entire discussion around post quality. Svan's blog post is only tangentially related, in that it highlighted specific posts that may be found on the slymepit forum. Even if she hadn't of commented this would still be up for discussion, as it had been before she said anything about it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

fascination wrote:
rayshul wrote:...and Harriet hall did an excellent blog post here: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... r-so-much/
Great article by Hall!
I wrote to a woman doctor who had done the same residency where I had been the first female and who was currently working in the hospital where I had been the first woman intern (indeed, the first woman doctor, the only woman doctor in the whole gigantic medical center). I asked her what problems she had encountered as a woman in the Air Force and in medicine, and she didn’t even have the faintest idea what I was talking about.
The above reminds me of the guy from Jamaica who was asked by a black Canadian if he had ever experienced discrimination in Canada. His response was to the effect that:
I might have been, but I never noticed.

fascination

Post by fascination »

another lurker wrote:
I have used gendered swear words, and made fun of people's looks. I find that if someone has an odious personality, they then become ugly to me. I would never make a fat joke, or an old joke, or any kind of mean joke about a person's looks (or intelligence) if I did not know anything about that person.

I wrote in a later post that I hit submit too soon. The point I wanted to go on to make is that I think they will smear us no matter what we do. I don't agree with everything posted here but I don't feel like I am responsible for anything anyone else posts. I am only responsible for myself.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

fascination wrote:
rayshul wrote:...and Harriet hall did an excellent blog post here: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... r-so-much/
Great article by Hall!
Yes, superb stuff. I see OB is in there defending herself again. She must have application running in the background of her computer that searches for her name.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

jimthepleb wrote:oh by the way guys...my dog died 5 years ago yesterday can i have some money please? Shoes are an acceptable answer.

I'd like to jump on this bandwagon. My dog turned 5 in October, and he's a perfectly fat and happy little shit-machine who barks to goddamned much but is extremely affectionate, and keeps my butt warm at night when he cuddles up next to me.

He's also awesome at catching and fetching, but only when he feels like it, and he hates it when I fly my indoor remote control helicopter or play with my remote R2-D2. He hates all machines that move or make noise on their own, but other than that he's pretty sane. Also, he's not fixed, which really annoys other people at the dog park even though he doesn't hump anything. They can kiss my ass, or my dog's balls, their choice.

Anyway, I guess I don't really need anyone's pity, understanding, or money, although good dog food can be pricey for a broke bloke like myself. I just have an awesome dog, is all.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

incognito wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

What is UHC btw?
Universal health care.
Ah kk, not an issue here (britain) but a vital issue there.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote:

No sorry, I was asking why you joined the debate and consequently the Pit or vice versa. What drew you to argue against FtB and A+, if you wish.
I find their behaviour disgusting and hilarious at the same time. I don't argue against them, I don't try and build bridges or attempt to change their minds. I'm just here for the laughs and to watch them dissolve in a pool of their own angry tears.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

jimthepleb wrote:
incognito wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

What is UHC btw?
Universal health care.
Are you being serious? We'll be amputating our own limbs after the Torys have had their way with the NHS.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Brain Box wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
Brain Box wrote:
Apples wrote:
Brain Box wrote:
He seemed to be under the delusion that if we we're all polite and nice it would make the slightest difference to their narrative. If they manage to pick up Shermer on a tiny point and twist it beyond recognition then us 'being nice' will make no difference at all.

There are also many attacks on FtB's/A+'s position going on, not just here of course. This is one approach, there are others and they ARE being done. No need to fix something that's not broke.

Their narrative doesn't really matter. What matters is those who are reading their narrative and comparing it to ours. Why is this so difficult to understand? The entire point of exposing their hypocrisy is to inform the wider community. The community is less likely to believe the validity of our arguments if we are acting like immature twats. Doesn't this matter, or is this forum purely masturbatory? I would hope not considering the time and energy many people here are putting into their blogs/podcasts/and twitter postings.

FFS go away. "The entire point" is to inform the wider community? No. That's a possible side-benefit of whateverthefuck individual 'pitters get out of reading/posting here. This whole discussion is considerably more boring than endless squabbling about Israel, and I wish those who want to clutch pearls about "the bigger picture" would do it elsewhere. Svan is a bitch and I can't believe people are allowing her to influence them. Her opinion is irrelevant to me, and so is all the handwringing about PR. The horse is out of the barn. If you want to tone-police, shut up for now and call out a future post if you want to complain about it -- see how that goes. Otherwise, please fuck off.

Wow, you fool. The entire discussion started because of what someone wrote (somedumbguy). Is your memory that fucking short? This has nothing to do with Svan, I couldn't give a shit what she thinks. However people here are going to call out posts they think are counter-productive or "cross the line," especially those who have a rooted intellectual investment in fighting FTB/A+/etc. irrationality and see this forum as important in that fight. Why do you post here, because making fat jokes adds a little joy to your life?
Wow, you fool. The entire discussion started because of what someone wrote, stephanie svan. Is your memory that fucking short? This has nothing to do with SDG.
Do some fucking research before you call bullshit on someone else you dumbass.
THIS conversation started after svan's latest BAWWW over 'horrid meanie shoops'
SDG is an entirely different matter. But if u wanna just pull shit outta ur arse go back to FtB

:lol:

Go back to the original posts by decius and others in regards to SDG's post. SDG's musings on who "deserves to be raped" and other tasteless posts like it is what triggered this entire discussion around post quality. Svan's blog post is only tangentially related, in that it highlighted specific posts that may be found on the slymepit forum. Even if she hadn't of commented this would still be up for discussion, as it had been before she said anything about it.
[youtube]KQxhOYqLPdY[/youtube]
fuck off noob

decius

Post by decius »

fascination wrote:I hit submit too soon and now I've lost my thoughts. Anyway, basically I just wanted to say I think that they will smear us no matter what. Look at what they're doing to Shermer. That's all
You're correct.
However, any fence-sitter or external observer could immediately spot the difference between their specious accusations to Shermer and more founded complaints.
If you get falsely accused of shoplifting at the mall, that gives you no licence of shitting in the main entrance.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

bhoytony wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
incognito wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:

What is UHC btw?
Universal health care.
Are you being serious? We'll be amputating our own limbs after the Torys have had their way with the NHS.
Ok big boy...not yet a problem here....better?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

nippletwister wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:oh by the way guys...my dog died 5 years ago yesterday can i have some money please? Shoes are an acceptable answer.

I'd like to jump on this bandwagon. My dog turned 5 in October, and he's a perfectly fat and happy little shit-machine who barks to goddamned much but is extremely affectionate, and keeps my butt warm at night when he cuddles up next to me.

He's also awesome at catching and fetching, but only when he feels like it, and he hates it when I fly my indoor remote control helicopter or play with my remote R2-D2. He hates all machines that move or make noise on their own, but other than that he's pretty sane. Also, he's not fixed, which really annoys other people at the dog park even though he doesn't hump anything. They can kiss my ass, or my dog's balls, their choice.

Anyway, I guess I don't really need anyone's pity, understanding, or money, although good dog food can be pricey for a broke bloke like myself. I just have an awesome dog, is all.
screw you and your 'living dog' privilege!

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I don't have a dog, therefore I am in the same situation as somebody whose dog has died. Please send money.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

another lurker wrote:

Although, as I pointed out in my vid (plug) it backfires. When Hensley Tweeted me in such a way that I knew exactly where she was going with it, I let off a "you gained weight" remark.

Which meant some doofus from CFI kept white-knighting as she tried to threaten me.

Probably not worth it.
Angry_Drunk wrote:P.S. There is not enough money in the world to get me in that last shot.
Man, I used to work at heights. I never, ever trusted my gear that much. Then again, it was a right-to-work state that considered OSHA a commie plot.
Metalogic42 wrote:48 minutes, jeez. I'll get back to you on that one.
Oh, and about the length of the video, it was a judgement call. I thought breaking it up would dilute the narrative flow. I'm a self-indulgent artist. Fuck you.
another lurker wrote:I hate you Mykeru, for making me look at Ophelia:(
I actually am sorry for that.

decius

Post by decius »

bhoytony wrote: I find their behaviour disgusting and hilarious at the same time. I don't argue against them, I don't try and build bridges or attempt to change their minds. I'm just here for the laughs and to watch them dissolve in a pool of their own angry tears.
What if instead of dissolving in a pool of their own tears, they will successfully inject their ideology in the movement and their ugly mugs become its public faces for the next few decades? What would you do then?

I could mention a few progressive movements in history which have been thus hijacked.