Old subthreads
decius

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by decius »

Welch, check your PM box.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

BarnOwl wrote:It's not just the American A/S conference circuit that has been infiltrated - the bullshit is crossing the Pond. From Ophelia's blog (also on PZ's):
Another upcoming event, this time in Dublin. Atheist Ireland is doing a conference called Empowering Women Through Secularism the weekend of 29-30 June 2013. I will be there.
Everybody should go to this! It will be fantastic.

Speakers will include
Ivana Bacik, Irish Senator and member of Atheist Ireland
Dan Barker, Freedom From Religion Foundation, USA
Ophelia Benson, author and commentator, USA
Ann Brusseel, Member of Flemish Parliament, Belgium
Mairin de Burca, writer and secularist, Ireland
Jane Donnelly, Education Policy Officer Atheist Ireland
Annie Laurie Gaylor, Freedom From Religion Foundation, USA
Anthea McTiernan, Editor Irish Times Ticket Magazine
PZ Myers, science professor and blogger, USA
Maryam Namazie, Council of Ex-Muslims in Britain
Taslima Nasrin, novelist and activist, Bangladesh and India
Michael Nugent, Chairperson Atheist Ireland
Nina Sankari, Polish Rationalist Association
Farhana Shakir, lawyer and legal consultant, Pakistan
Kate Smurthwaite, comedian and activist, Britain
Anne Marie Waters, One Law for All Campaign, Britain
Rebecca Watson, Skepchick network, USA
Fantastic, I tell you.
So Ophelia and Rebecca - who do what, exactly, for a living - will receive all-expense-paid trips to Ireland, to talk about what, exactly? Internetz drama? Parody twitter accounts? Hair dye? Pity-driven Paypal Accounts for Fun and Profit? The Lazy Blogger's Guide to Copypasta?

Wouldn't it make more sense to invite someone like Abbie, to talk about developing a real career in a STEM field, and about applying skepticism and scientific knowledge to expose fabricated XMRV data that were published in a high-impact journal?

Well, yes and no, but mostly yes. I think such a talk would be far more interesting and generally useful to a smart audience, especially one gathered around science or skepticism or both. However, this seems to be first and foremost an "Atheist" gathering, and one specifically titled "Empowering Women through Secularism". I'm not familiar with most of the people listed, but I am glad that the American whiners brigade has only 3 slots.

of course, you could point out that Abbie is every bit as qualified to talk about "Empowering Women through Secularism" as any of the three listed....but such a talk might not focus enough on shutting up and listening to women whine about first-world problems, and handing executive positions to women on a quota system, or how free speech is harassment, and shit like that, which is likely what the three going would like to yammer about.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

I know they already start out rather monsterous, but here's the baboons in an optical illusion video.

Try to watch it at a large size. If the embedded one's too small for it to have the illusion effect, full screen it, or go to the link below it to view it larger on youtube.

[youtube]dYarDnoRYrQ[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Remember, the XMRV debacle was uncovered by the work of a skeptical blogger.
Exactly how many major medical stories directly involve skeptical bloggers, rather than are simply reported by them (second or third hand)?

No. This was a deliberate act to neglect this story and the only logical reason is that it would show an enemy of Rebecca Watson in a good light.
That story was huge. If I remember correctly, the whole business had started to fray at the edges somewhat and then Abbie kicked the tissue of lies in the nads with her "magic" post on how two different slides with different labels were actually identical.

After that, a lot of people could no longer believe their lying eyes or something.

Abbie kind of has a certain way with words, and you will see comments to that effect from time to time by other people elsewhere. Do you read her blog? Remember this?
http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2012/01/03/ ... ing-for-x/
The very first sign Judy Mikovits was not just a little ‘off-her-rocker’ kook-coo, but full on ‘off-the-rocker-set-it-on-fire-and-dancing-around-the-flames-nude-while-using-feces-as-war-paint’ kook-coo, was this comment she made about XMRV, vaccines, and autism, before her shit paper was even published:
Well, it is stuff like the above that makes me suspect that the reason PeeZuss Christ refuses to even be in the same State, much less city as Abbie, is because he is afraid of what she might say to him.

I kind of doubt she would just say he was a "poopyhead" to his face and leave it at that myself. And we all know that courage is not exactly a strong point of out very own PeeZuss Christ.

I am pretty sure that this is one woman that PeeZuss "listen to what the women are saying" Christ really does not want to hear from, or about in any way shape or form.

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:I should add the caveat that I wasn't pleasurably impressed by the episode told earlier by Abbie, but in the absence of an open act of hostility, Novella's reasons cannot known. So far, his faux pas can be explained by oversight as well. He should be challenged about that, but it isn't up to me to do it.
I'd believe that more if the FIRST COMMENT didn't point out Abbie's role in things. All he had to do was reply to that and say: "You're absolutely right, Abbie did play a critical role in this, and I was highly remiss in leaving that out. I am VERY sorry for that." Then just put in an addendum to the post about Abbie's role.

Giving her credit for work legitimately done is not becoming a "fan" or agreeing with her every utterance. It is what most of us would call "mature behavior". I see no reason for him to not correct this.

welch

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote:It's not just the American A/S conference circuit that has been infiltrated - the bullshit is crossing the Pond. From Ophelia's blog (also on PZ's):
Another upcoming event, this time in Dublin. Atheist Ireland is doing a conference called Empowering Women Through Secularism the weekend of 29-30 June 2013. I will be there.

Speakers will include
Fantastic, I tell you.
So Ophelia and Rebecca - who do what, exactly, for a living - will receive all-expense-paid trips to Ireland, to talk about what, exactly? Internetz drama? Parody twitter accounts? Hair dye? Pity-driven Paypal Accounts for Fun and Profit? The Lazy Blogger's Guide to Copypasta?

Wouldn't it make more sense to invite someone like Abbie, to talk about developing a real career in a STEM field, and about applying skepticism and scientific knowledge to expose fabricated XMRV data that were published in a high-impact journal?
You don't have to fly Abbie anywhere. I'm really, really sure that SOMEWHERE in Ireland, England, Scotland, or Wales is a really smart woman able to speak to those very issues.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Remember, the XMRV debacle was uncovered by the work of a skeptical blogger.
Exactly how many major medical stories directly involve skeptical bloggers, rather than are simply reported by them (second or third hand)?

No. This was a deliberate act to neglect this story and the only logical reason is that it would show an enemy of Rebecca Watson in a good light.
That story was huge. If I remember correctly, the whole business had started to fray at the edges somewhat and then Abbie kicked the tissue of lies in the nads with her "magic" post on how two different slides with different labels were actually identical.

After that, a lot of people could no longer believe their lying eyes or something.

Abbie kind of has a certain way with words, and you will see comments to that effect from time to time by other people elsewhere. Do you read her blog? Remember this?
http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2012/01/03/ ... ing-for-x/
The very first sign Judy Mikovits was not just a little ‘off-her-rocker’ kook-coo, but full on ‘off-the-rocker-set-it-on-fire-and-dancing-around-the-flames-nude-while-using-feces-as-war-paint’ kook-coo, was this comment she made about XMRV, vaccines, and autism, before her shit paper was even published:
Well, it is stuff like the above that makes me suspect that the reason PeeZuss Christ refuses to even be in the same State, much less city as Abbie, is because he is afraid of what she might say to him.

I kind of doubt she would just say he was a "poopyhead" to his face and leave it at that myself. And we all know that courage is not exactly a strong point of out very own PeeZuss Christ.

I am pretty sure that this is one woman that PeeZuss "listen to what the women are saying" Christ really does not want to hear from, or about in any way shape or form.

It's one of the reasons I like Abbie. She has skill of a rarely-seen calibre with invective. Sometimes, it gets me all verklempt. She's almost the daughter I never had when she gets going.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

welch wrote:

Speakers will include
Fantastic, I tell you.

You don't have to fly Abbie anywhere. I'm really, really sure that SOMEWHERE in Ireland, England, Scotland, or Wales is a really smart woman able to speak to those very issues.
They haven't invited a single woman scientist (lady-science hero?)to speak at this conference.
It is also curious that they have nobody close to the Richard Dawkins Foundation who will be speaking.

cunt

Post by cunt »

How does Ophelia Benson get away with commentator. She's a CiF commenter who happens to post to a blog rather than directly underneath the article.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
They haven't invited a single woman scientist (lady-science hero?)to speak at this conference.
It is also curious that they have nobody close to the Richard Dawkins Foundation who will be speaking.
In their defence , this is about women in secularism, which requires no qualifications other than talking about other people who talk about secularism ... it's a promotional venue for a specific political objective, not for any scientific positions.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote: What is PZ Myers doing at a conference entitled "Empowering Women Through Secularism"?
Look, a conference in Ireland that seeks to "empower women thought secularism" should focus on one thing - the need for womens health policies that include safe termination of pregnancy, which is currently illegal there.
Now there may be a few on the list that have some expertise in this area - and believe it or not, Ophelia, due to her previous writings could qualify here - but PZ Myers and Rebecca Watson do not. They appear to be there for the sole reason that Nugent is trying to squirm his way into the FTB fold and invited them over as a bribe.
Excellent points. Ophelia did write about the abortion issue several times, to be fair. Speakers who actually work in the areas of women's health and reproductive rights would be ideal - physicians and other healthcare professionals, for example.

Saaaaayyyy, don't we know someone who fits that description? :think:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
In their defence , this is about women in secularism, which requires no qualifications other than talking about other people who talk about secularism ... it's a promotional venue for a specific political objective, not for any scientific positions.
That is fair enough.
But it makes the invitation of PZ Myers stick out even more.
He goes to various atheist/skeptical conferences and talks about biological evolution, his teaching subject.
He's never given the impression that he particularly understands the legal situation in countries outside the US.
What exactly is his role at a conference about empowering women in secularism?
That he's an expert at calling other men misogynists? :shock:

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Seriously! Watson is returning to Ireland after the horrific events that happened to her last time! Wow she haz all the gurl power especially since irish elevators are notorious for rape occurence. I wonder if she'll take the stairs this time. Nope on second thought she isn't capable of taking the stairs, the motor skills required to do so at 4 am when you are fuck faced elude her. Elevator it will be then.

Atheist Ireland will of course have to hire personal security, or elevator security, whichever nugent thinks will get him more shakes from the ass cheeks of whatever american blogger nobody he's trying to ass fuck with his nose.

Hold on I live in Ireland. Doesn't that mean ophy and beccy should cancel! A slymepitter in the same country as them!

cunt

Post by cunt »

If you really want to work towards secularism, you might want to focus on getting more theists over to that position. From that roster it looks like just another circle jerk for atheists.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Za-zen wrote: Hold on I live in Ireland. Doesn't that mean ophy and beccy should cancel! A slymepitter in the same country as them!
OK, go on, admit it.
You are elevator guy! :snooty:

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

welch wrote: It's one of the reasons I like Abbie. She has skill of a rarely-seen calibre with invective. Sometimes, it gets me all verklempt. She's almost the daughter I never had when she gets going.
Her posts during PepsiGate were hilarious too. Maybe I should go find some of the best lines, if they're still available.

The whole situation was as funny as hell: the anti-Pepsi science bloggers were all like "Oh noes, we'll all be turned into junk food-snarfing overweight couch potatoes, a complete 180 turnaround from our current vegan ultramarathoner hand-built eco-cabin in the woods lifestyles!"

Oh, wait.

decius

Post by decius »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Za-zen wrote: Hold on I live in Ireland. Doesn't that mean ophy and beccy should cancel! A slymepitter in the same country as them!
OK, go on, admit it.
His name was Otis, though.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I've got the security tape from the elevator but remember... TRIGGER WARNING!

[youtube]phTFQQWaO4g[/youtube]

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Za-zen wrote:Seriously! Watson is returning to Ireland after the horrific events that happened to her last time! Wow she haz all the gurl power especially since irish elevators are notorious for rape occurence. I wonder if she'll take the stairs this time. Nope on second thought she isn't capable of taking the stairs, the motor skills required to do so at 4 am when you are fuck faced elude her. Elevator it will be then.

Atheist Ireland will of course have to hire personal security, or elevator security, whichever nugent thinks will get him more shakes from the ass cheeks of whatever american blogger nobody he's trying to ass fuck with his nose.

Hold on I live in Ireland. Doesn't that mean ophy and beccy should cancel! A slymepitter in the same country as them!
Dude. You should go, and then you should glue a warning sign with a cup of coffee next to the elevator. That would be glorious.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
OK, go on, admit it.
Nope sorry, i couldn't even claim it in jest, it would be like admitting you like eating shit because you think the audience will find it funny.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

The occasional bubbles of oddness one gets from the FC crown never fail to leave me faintly bemused. This latest offering from Steffy, for instance:
Sending Sally

Promotion

by Stephanie Zvan

If you hang around these parts at all, you’ve probably seen SallyStrange. You’ve probably also seen some solid commenting from her and some information about the political and volunteer work that she does. You may even have seen how she’s been targeted by the slime pit disinformation factory for speaking up.

So it’s probably unsurprising that I’m happy to use this space and some of my resources to help Sally out. In this case, I’m acting as an intermediary to help get Sally to the American Atheists 50th Anniversary National Convention in Austin, Texas, in March.

I’m using my own PayPal account as a barrier between Sally and any potential malicious nonsense. She has plenty of friends around here who will be more than happy to donate, but she’s gotten enough of the unwanted attention too that an extra layer of identity protection seemed like a good idea to both of us.

So if you’re one of those friends, feel free to click and donate below. Let’s make sure she gets the good time that she’s more than earned, shall we?
Using her Paypal account as a barrier between Sally Syringe and any potential malicious nonsense?? What the hell is she going on about here? And 'extra layer of identity protection'?? Huh?

Does Steffy really think Sally Syringe registers much more than a the occasional amused blip here?

Sorry to disappoint Stef, but if you want to help a pal get to a conference, then as far as I'm concerned, good luck to you both. Really.

However, I must express some concern for Anthony K here, who is once more first in line to contribute - with the amount of donations he's been shovelling out to FTB recently, the poor guy'll be destitute long before next pocket money day comes around.

decius

Post by decius »

She thinks we are like Greg Lackey.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Tigzy wrote:The occasional bubbles of oddness one gets from the FC crown never fail to leave me faintly bemused. This latest offering from Steffy, for instance:
Sending Sally

Promotion

by Stephanie Zvan

If you hang around these parts at all, you’ve probably seen SallyStrange. You’ve probably also seen some solid commenting from her and some information about the political and volunteer work that she does. You may even have seen how she’s been targeted by the slime pit disinformation factory for speaking up.

So it’s probably unsurprising that I’m happy to use this space and some of my resources to help Sally out. In this case, I’m acting as an intermediary to help get Sally to the American Atheists 50th Anniversary National Convention in Austin, Texas, in March.

I’m using my own PayPal account as a barrier between Sally and any potential malicious nonsense. She has plenty of friends around here who will be more than happy to donate, but she’s gotten enough of the unwanted attention too that an extra layer of identity protection seemed like a good idea to both of us.

So if you’re one of those friends, feel free to click and donate below. Let’s make sure she gets the good time that she’s more than earned, shall we?
Using her Paypal account as a barrier between Sally Syringe and any potential malicious nonsense?? What the hell is she going on about here? And 'extra layer of identity protection'?? Huh?

Does Steffy really think Sally Syringe registers much more than a the occasional amused blip here?

Sorry to disappoint Stef, but if you want to help a pal get to a conference, then as far as I'm concerned, good luck to you both. Really.

However, I must express some concern for Anthony K here, who is once more first in line to contribute - with the amount of donations he's been shovelling out to FTB recently, the poor guy'll be destitute long before next pocket money day comes around.
Lol this is great. The revolution is coming brothers and sisters, but it's got to be paid for, so dig deep!

decius

Post by decius »

Pitchguest wrote:
Dude. You should go, and then you should glue a warning sign with a cup of coffee next to the elevator. That would be glorious.
I drew this one when this shit started.
twitbkg.png
(21.53 KiB) Downloaded 437 times

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tigzy wrote:The occasional bubbles of oddness one gets from the FC crown never fail to leave me faintly bemused. This latest offering from Steffy, for instance:
Sending Sally

Promotion

by Stephanie Zvan

Using her Paypal account as a barrier between Sally Syringe and any potential malicious nonsense??
Steff Svan, the Father Ted of Freethought Blogs.
"That money was only resting in my account!"

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ERMAGERD PEPSIGATE!!11!!!

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2010/07/08/ ... hysterics/

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2010/07/10/ ... aker-oats/

Conflict of Interest Statement: I drank a Diet Pepsi with my lunch (broccoli grown in my backyard, hummus, wholewheat pretzels, two mandarins) today. ERMAGERD unhealthy!!!11!!!

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Sending Sally

Promotion

by Stephanie Zvan

Well, there hasn't been any good fodder for victim narratives the last few days, so of course they have to act preemptively to protect themselves from the utter horror of other people being allowed to speak.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Za-zen wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Over the past year or two I have realised that I no longer listen to or read opinions by people like Aron Ra, Justin Griffiths, Steven Novella ... not because their opinions aren't incise, objective, informational or generally of interest ... but solely because they are associated with FtB or Rebecca Watson ...

I could go and tell them on their blogs that they should relocate or choose better bed partners, but it isn't my place, so I just choose not to read or listen to them.

Is that guilt by association, or ... ?
In fact, this post was inspired by seeing Aron Ra pop up with a new video in my YouTube stream and me thinking "I can't be bothered to watch him any more, his choice of company means I prefer to spend my time listening to people who can choose better friends and colleagues"

Wrong?
Aron is another one, who i think knows it's fucked up, but keeps his gob shut for the sake of "the big game". In other words takes a shit on reality for political expediency.
Aron is stuck between a rock and a hard place and I will always give credit to anyone who actually does something practical and useful to put his message across. I also feel he has integrity. I also have no issue with others stuck in the middle.

For people like Myers et al, I simply do not trust their judgement no matter what they are saying. That is not because of their beliefs but how they choose to express them. If someone is so eaten up with a political ideology they allow it to feed into everything they say I simply feel they have nothing useful to say to me. I can't learn anything useful from them as I simply do not have the time to check their sources or the basis of their argument (assuming they bother to provide them) I REQUIRE skepticism and free thought before I am able to believe something unless it is trivial. I would rather spend my time reading and listening to those who I feel have more integrity.

When I wish to learn about something I have to have a basis of trust. For some that trust is lost. I wouldn't trust Myers, Watson etc to tell me the time of day.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
welch wrote:

Speakers will include
Fantastic, I tell you.

I can't understand this fascination for conferences. Are these conferences fun? I find the youtube videos from them excruciating, and that's not a knock on anybody on that list, I just can't imagine paying to go to one of these.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
I can't understand this fascination for conferences. Are these conferences fun? I find the youtube videos from them excruciating, and that's not a knock on anybody on that list, I just can't imagine paying to go to one of these.
Totally agree ... I might go to one if was a couple of miles down the road, was free, and I had nothing else to do that day

Beyond that, yeah most talks seem pretty tedious and self-affirming

justinvacula

Pseudoscience at Marywood University

Post by justinvacula »

The school I attend for graduate studies, Marywood University, continues to include promoters of psuedoscience at its campus health fairs.

I recently authored a piece on Skeptic Ink Network concerning this matter and the upcoming February 2013 campus health fair which will include (once again) a chiropractor who provides information pertaining to 'vertebral subluxations,' 'life energy,' and also claiming that chiropractic can cure virtually any adverse health condition. Also included is a call for 'skeptical activism.'

Any help drawing attention to this issue/contacting campus officials responsible for this health fair would be appreciated. I included a sample letter, Marywood's twitter handle (which is quite active), and the contact information for responsible parties.

http://skepticink.com/justinvacula/2013 ... doscience/

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

CommanderTuvok wrote:The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch.

26 Followers (despite much effort from Colon/Aratina, the total of new followers has increased by ONE in the last 24 hours!!!)

The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch. Charting the phenomenal popularity of Oolon's Block Bot so you don't have to!!!
So my Twitter account got suspended again, and I'm not sure if it's because I clicked follow on like 40 people last night (adding people from the oolon/aratina enemies list) or if it's due to the block bot, but in any case I made sure to tell Twitter in my appeal email that if it's due to blocks they need to look into @ool0n, @aratina, @The_Block_Bot and #BlockSaturday.

If it's due to the number of people I added to my following list yesterday, fuck of twitter. I still have less than 200 people on that list, and yes my following list may be 3X the amount of people following me, but I'm not spamming people. Fucking automated scripts...

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Sending Sally

Promotion

by Stephanie Zvan

It's just another way to add victim points to get more money. As long as people like AK fall for it they will keep doing it. They have to come up with new and inventive excuses, this is just another one. It's all just marketing.

Soon they will be asking for funds for bodyguards and house alarms 'cos of Slympitters' .

decius

Post by decius »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
Then don't go. In pre-paranoid-policies time, I used to enjoy them - particularly those with a focus on science and a decent line-up.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

EdwardGemmer wrote: I can't understand this fascination for conferences. Are these conferences fun? I find the youtube videos from them excruciating, and that's not a knock on anybody on that list, I just can't imagine paying to go to one of these.
I've never been to one myself, so out of a lack of firsthand knowledge I've largely stayed out of the debates surrounding harassment policies and all that jazz. I do have to say the amount of hand-wringing over harassment policies puzzles me because I don't hear the same level of concern over much heavier sexualized events like gaming and anime cons which I would think tend to feature a younger, more hormonal, less mature audience on average than an atheist/skeptic con, but anyways...

While I do think sitting in a seat and listening to lectures would be boring for a whole day (and let's face it, the best presentations, like Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe From Nothing" end up on YouTube anyways), some atheist cons, like the upcoming American Atheist 50th Anniversary event, do sound like fun because they'll have stuff like a comedy night, rock concerts etc. I just haven't had a chance to go to one yet, so I don't know if the average atheist/skeptic convention has enough non-lecture happenings to keep me from getting bored.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I like Aron Ra, but since he went to FfTB, he seems to have gone quiet. Naturally, part of this is down to the fact that I avoid ALL of FTB because the Creepy Clowns. Makes you wonder how many visitors the saner parts of FTB have lost because of the Creepy Clowns.

PS - I wonder if any pressure is put on Aron Ra to distance himself from Thunderfoot.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

decius wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:
Then don't go. In pre-paranoid-policies time, I used to enjoy them - particularly those with a focus on science and a decent line-up.
Well I'm not planning on it, but I'm am pretty curious as to why people go. Maybe I'm jaded because I'm a lawyer and they always make us go to that crap. I think one about science would be kind of interesting - my dad used to take me to things like that when I was a kid.

Lost Moose

Post by Lost Moose »

I remember that, the link to the Invitrogen blog went to the Sb front page by the time I read the first linked post in the afternoon. They even pulled it from the drop down list. I wouldn't have blamed Abbie if she had left Sb after they pulled her sources out from under her like that.

http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2010/07/08/ ... ment-17678

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I feel so sorry for the likes of Dan Barker, Annie Laurie Gaylor, Maryam Namazie, Kate Smurthwaite, and Anne Marie Waters, that they will have to put with the Baboons and their sycophants. Maryam, in particular, who I look up to a lot.

I notice Taslima is going as well. She really has gone a little crazy in the last year.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I forgot to mention Mano Singham. He comes across as one of the nicer, more reasonable people at FTB - and he avoids the drama.

Darksyde got in big trouble with OB and her minions when he dared to use the word 'bitch' on his blog. I cringed for him as they attacked him like a bunch of piranhas.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

16bitheretic wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote: I can't understand this fascination for conferences. Are these conferences fun? I find the youtube videos from them excruciating, and that's not a knock on anybody on that list, I just can't imagine paying to go to one of these.
I've never been to one myself, so out of a lack of firsthand knowledge I've largely stayed out of the debates surrounding harassment policies and all that jazz. I do have to say the amount of hand-wringing over harassment policies puzzles me because I don't hear the same level of concern over much heavier sexualized events like gaming and anime cons which I would think tend to feature a younger, more hormonal, less mature audience on average than an atheist/skeptic con, but anyways...

While I do think sitting in a seat and listening to lectures would be boring for a whole day (and let's face it, the best presentations, like Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe From Nothing" end up on YouTube anyways), some atheist cons, like the upcoming American Atheist 50th Anniversary event, do sound like fun because they'll have stuff like a comedy night, rock concerts etc. I just haven't had a chance to go to one yet, so I don't know if the average atheist/skeptic convention has enough non-lecture happenings to keep me from getting bored.
I've never been to one either, but I have heard many do not listen to the speakers at all, they go to socialise and chat to people they may have met on forums or whatever. So of course someone telling anyone how to behave when humans are quite capable of doing that for themselves can be bloody irritating. We're not children.

I'm trying to generate an interest in even meeting with my local activist groups, I really find it less interesting than arguing with believers. I don't see the point unless it is actually to do something to get the message out rather than naval gaze. The Irish conference to me is a complete waste of time and air miles. They are preaching to the converted. It must take up a lot of resources better utilised elsewhere.

It reminds me of those endless corporate meetings that say a lot but achieve nothing.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I like Aron Ra, but since he went to FfTB, he seems to have gone quiet. Naturally, part of this is down to the fact that I avoid ALL of FTB because the Creepy Clowns. Makes you wonder how many visitors the saner parts of FTB have lost because of the Creepy Clowns.

PS - I wonder if any pressure is put on Aron Ra to distance himself from Thunderfoot.
I'd be curious to see if there's been any FTB backchannel pressure put on Aron after Watson, Elevatorgate and PZ Myers have become topics during the last 2 episodes of the Magic Sandwich Show, and during Aron's absence all 3 of the other regulars, DPRJones, C0nc0rdance and Thunderf00t, have really not held back in calling out the bullshit in the creepy clowns circle.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

16bitheretic wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:I like Aron Ra, but since he went to FfTB, he seems to have gone quiet. Naturally, part of this is down to the fact that I avoid ALL of FTB because the Creepy Clowns. Makes you wonder how many visitors the saner parts of FTB have lost because of the Creepy Clowns.

I'd be curious to see if there's been any FTB backchannel pressure put on Aron after Watson, Elevatorgate and PZ Myers have become topics during the last 2 episodes of the Magic Sandwich Show, and during Aron's absence all 3 of the other regulars, DPRJones, C0nc0rdance and Thunderf00t, have really not held back in calling out the bullshit in the creepy clowns circle.
I doubt Aron would be susceptible to any pressure, even from his wife (who put up a censorship policy almost as soon as she become a guest blogger, no surprise there) I suspect he wants nothing to do with it all and focus his energies on what really matters.

Even if he is full on their side I have no issue with that. He still displays fundamental honesty and that's all I ask for in anyone. He has no duty to disclose what he believes, he can do so if and when he wishes.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I'm going to split the thread soon: I get all creeped out by Anne Robinson each time I open this one...

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Jack wrote:
Soon they will be asking for funds for bodyguards and house alarms 'cos of Slympitters' .
Surly Amy already did that, in a way, if I recall correctly - she tweeted suggesting the Secular Coalition for America should pay for her home security system.

Michael K Gray

Conferences

Post by Michael K Gray »

BarnOwl wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to invite someone like Abbie, to talk about developing a real career in a STEM field, and about applying skepticism and scientific knowledge to expose fabricated XMRV data that were published in a high-impact journal?
It would make far more sense to get someone from one of the world-class Universities & Colleges in Dublin.
There has to be someone far more qualified in any subject, (including hard drinking), from one of these venerable instituions.
Speaking of which, one of the better science podcasts (Futureproof) is presented by Joathan McCrea .
He regularly has excellent Irish scientists on his show.
Save the air miles! Save Beccy from Elevator Rape!
(Newstalk Ireland 106-108 FM)
RSS Feed: http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast_xml.php?id=51628

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

[youtube]pfN7HTqGbXA[/youtube]

decius

Post by decius »

There have been disingenuous requests for solid criticism of feminism by some random posters.
I took the chance to post this, but Novella is ignoring everything coming his way, so far.
Here's some criticism to what's passing for feminism in the movement, these days.

In modern post-enlightenment societies - where equality is enshrined into law - the Patriarchy is as useful and lucid a concept as the Illuminati, until solid evidence to the contrary is provided.

Criticism of dubious remarks by individual self-appointed leaders, who also happen to be women, doesn't automatically equate to sexism, or to misogyny, or to an attack on womankind as a whole.

Requests for evidence, following outrageous or potentially slanderous remarks about male leaders of the community, doesn't automatically equate to denialism of existing problems.

Evolutionary psychology is an established branch of science, whose mainstream practitioners are worthy of respect. The fact that its results do not conform to the wishful thinking of unqualified ideologues isn't ground for casual dismissal. Such eminently anti-skeptical attitudes should be called out and frowned upon, especially by serious leaders like Steven, whose silence on this issue has become an embarrassment to the movement as a whole.

There would be more, but having these seriously addressed would be a great start.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Sending Sally

Promotion

by Stephanie Zvan

Using her Paypal account as a barrier between Sally Syringe and any potential malicious nonsense??
Steff Svan, the Father Ted of Freethought Blogs.
"That money was only resting in my account!"
Careful now!

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

decius wrote:There have been disingenuous requests for solid criticism of feminism by some random posters.
I took the chance to post this, but Novella is ignoring everything coming his way, so far.
Here's some criticism to what's passing for feminism in the movement, these days.

In modern post-enlightenment societies - where equality is enshrined into law - the Patriarchy is as useful and lucid a concept as the Illuminati, until solid evidence to the contrary is provided.

Criticism of dubious remarks by individual self-appointed leaders, who also happen to be women, doesn't automatically equate to sexism, or to misogyny, or to an attack on womankind as a whole.

Requests for evidence, following outrageous or potentially slanderous remarks about male leaders of the community, doesn't automatically equate to denialism of existing problems.

Evolutionary psychology is an established branch of science, whose mainstream practitioners are worthy of respect. The fact that its results do not conform to the wishful thinking of unqualified ideologues isn't ground for casual dismissal. Such eminently anti-skeptical attitudes should be called out and frowned upon, especially by serious leaders like Steven, whose silence on this issue has become an embarrassment to the movement as a whole.

There would be more, but having these seriously addressed would be a great start.
Nice. Good that you focused on "what is passing for feminism" as that's what is being dealt with. Of course, you will probably be criticized for not addressing some specific academic form or claim of feminism, but of course, if you do that, you will be criticized for attacking a specific form of feminism, whereas everybody knows that "not all feminists are like that". Damned if you do, damned if you don't, but well done either way!

Good that you addressed "the patriarchy" directly. I've lived my whole life in liberal western society, and the only time I can ever find the patriarchy is when the lawn needs mowing.

decius

Post by decius »

nippletwister wrote:
Nice. Good that you focused on "what is passing for feminism" as that's what is being dealt with. Of course, you will probably be criticized for not addressing some specific academic form or claim of feminism, but of course, if you do that, you will be criticized for attacking a specific form of feminism, whereas everybody knows that "not all feminists are like that". Damned if you do, damned if you don't, but well done either way!

Good that you addressed "the patriarchy" directly. I've lived my whole life in liberal western society, and the only time I can ever find the patriarchy is when the lawn needs mowing.
Thanks. Don't worry, I'm not going to engage anyone, except Novella in the unlikely case he replies.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:I'm going to split the thread soon: I get all creeped out by Anne Robinson each time I open this one...
Anne Robinson?

I thought it was Andy Warhol.

aqi

Post by aqi »

WHO'S GOING TO IRELAND FOR THE EMPOWERING WOMEN THROUGH SECULARISM CONFERENCE 2013??!!?

http://www.atheist.ie/empowering-women- ... n-ireland/