Bunkspubble!

Old subthreads
ConcentratedH2O, OM

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

BarnOwl wrote:http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 2d0d9f.png

Narcissistic assholes and their privileged, indolent, all-expenses-paid conference-attending lifestyles.
This is fucking amazing. Can someone post this on her blog and request further comment? I guess since she doesn't have a dodgy heart or broken laptop, this is the best blagging she can come up with.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

welch wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote: That was sort-of obvious, it was surprising to see people jumping on it here (specifically people jumping on Ophelia for joining in with their joke).
I can see the CFIsters joking, but Ophelia has repeatedly benefitted from all-expenses-paid trips to conferences. in fact, it seems to be a way of life for her, and to me that's entitlement. You may see it differently. Clearly she has fans who think her contributions are sufficiently worthy and interesting that they're willing to pay her way.

In any case, it's not as if I'm "harassing" or "abusing" her on Twitter, or in the comments section of her blog. I don't even have a Twitter account, and I don't comment on any of the FtB blogs. If they want to come over here and read the 'Pit, roll around in the satire and mockery, and then take the scents back to the other truffle pigs, fine. But Ophelia is hardly being "jumped on."
Guys, you're missing the point...think of how easy it is to wind hensley up! You don't even need twitter. She's almost monitoring this place in real-time. Fuck, this is some wonderful information and you're arguing about getting a joke or not.
Bingo. :clap:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:Dawkins under fire for describing a woman as histrionic.
:o
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/stat ... 3713736704
bad richard :naughty:
Similar SJWs followed up by attacking his use of the term "barbaric" for elephant poachers in Africa ... they decided it was "colonial" and "racist"

You couldn't make these people up ... quite literally ... if you were an author and wrote them into a book, your editors would reject the book as being unrealistic and unbelievable
I think perhaps it is time that the book is written.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

jimthepleb wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:Dawkins under fire for describing a woman as histrionic.
:o
https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/stat ... 3713736704
bad richard :naughty:
Similar SJWs followed up by attacking his use of the term "barbaric" for elephant poachers in Africa ... they decided it was "colonial" and "racist"

You couldn't make these people up ... quite literally ... if you were an author and wrote them into a book, your editors would reject the book as being unrealistic and unbelievable
I think perhaps it is time that the book is written.
Maybe a sitcom called 'The Entitled' or 'Me Me'.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

OMG. We should do a Slymepit conference. Obviously, not a conference and with alcohol instead of FTBers, but still.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

rocko2466 wrote:OMG. We should do a Slymepit conference. Obviously, not a conference and with alcohol instead of FTBers, but still.
And I just realised, I did say alcohol but that doesn't mean RW is invited.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

rocko2466 wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:OMG. We should do a Slymepit conference. Obviously, not a conference and with alcohol instead of FTBers, but still.
As long as the place has at least 20 elevators, we don't want anyone losing out mysogony opportunities. Sell some racist hat ceramics along with 'coffee' on demand and we're sorted.

Git

Post by Git »

That Kate Busby is rather excellent. Thanks for introducing me to her, Cunt old chap.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Where's Tony Parsehole? This one's for you buddy.

[youtube]nJ4Voyrk9U[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

cunt wrote:Edinburgh literary festival is pretty cool. I met Iain M Banks there once and forced the fucker to sign my tits.
Were you off them, or ripped to them at the time?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Laden's rather stiff letter to Justin Griffith is now preserved for posterity in the museum of FTB rage: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 825#p62825

cunt

Post by cunt »

Sorry Tony. This will have to do. *lights a candle*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nJ4Voyrk9U

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

I'm up for that (if i don't have to travel far them horses don't milk themselves)
in the meantime we should sort out skype (or equivalent) again

decius

Post by decius »

BarnOwl wrote:
Sounds like a Merkin problem - what about elsewhere in the industrialized world? Here in the US, high-speed internet access in one's home or apartment really is a kind of privilege, and there are many people who simply can't afford it. What about the UK, Australia, France, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Canada, Brazil, Japan, etc.?
I know from experience that in Germany and Finland it's very cheap and widely available. Internet access has been deemed a fundamental right by the UN for several years, and most European countries have legislated and developed their networks accordingly.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jimthepleb wrote: I'm up for that (if i don't have to travel far them horses don't milk themselves)
Yeah, well... I'm gonna go build my own theme park, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the park!

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Lsuoma wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: I'm up for that (if i don't have to travel far them horses don't milk themselves)
Yeah, well... I'm gonna go build my own theme park, with blackjack and hookers. In fact, forget the park!
and the blackjack

cunt

Post by cunt »

How does this forum still have lurkers? I'm assuming they're all logged out regulars and EllenBeth.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

oh i fucking love the ad we have atm...

lsuoma you are a genus...sylvester sylvestris i believe

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

decius wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Sounds like a Merkin problem - what about elsewhere in the industrialized world? Here in the US, high-speed internet access in one's home or apartment really is a kind of privilege, and there are many people who simply can't afford it. What about the UK, Australia, France, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Canada, Brazil, Japan, etc.?
I know from experience that in Germany and Finland it's very cheap and widely available. Internet access has been deemed a fundamental right by the UN for several years, and most European countries have legislated and developed their networks accordingly.

In Australia it seems strange to me the setup.

Basically we have two major operators that have their own infrastructure.

Optus & Telstra

and a couple of smaller players.

Telstra own all the telephone copper network. Telstra & Optus have a retail arm and a wholesale arm.

So we have a few dozen ISP's that sell internet connections via the wholesale arm of both.

Most Australians connect to the internet through ADSL2 over the Telstra owned copper network.

So you can have situations like I have:

Telephone line through Telstra
ADSL2 connection through an Optus wholesaler

In my case I have a mobile + data plan through my ISP.

I could save $20-$50/month if I organise everything through my ISP. But I also have to give up what little quality of service I may have with Telstra.

My likely plan is to now ditch the telephone line completely...but my ISP doesn't do Naked Plans (Naked is ADSL2 connection over a disconnected telephone line). I'm with an ISP that is pretty cost efficient if you don't mind not having hand-holding tech support (I don't need that service).

On top of all this. The Fed Govt is rolling out the National Broadband Network (NBN) which will reach my area in Metro Sydney in a couple of years. The Govt will own the NBN infrustructure. Pricing plans so far seem roughly the same as retail prices.

Here's a break down of what I'm paying

$45/month for an ADSL2+ connection. I'm considered far away from my telephone exchange so my seeps are 5.5 Mbps,120GB download limit
$15/month Mobile + Data. $440 worth of Mobile calls + 1.5GB data...way way more than I need
$42/month Telephone line rental + cal costs (not timed calles like in USA) on avereage it's about $55/month

Cable connections here cost roughly $80/month as a starting price

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

jimthepleb wrote: I live very near oxford and would love to go...obviously too expensive for the likes of me...but then I'm not an entitled arsehole.
Yah, the individual talks are pretty pricey ... it would add up quickly. However, IF I could go, the following talks would be tops on my list:

http://oxfordliteraryfestival.org/liter ... he-horizon

http://oxfordliteraryfestival.org/liter ... ey-on-foot

http://oxfordliteraryfestival.org/liter ... metropolis

http://oxfordliteraryfestival.org/liter ... y-identity

http://oxfordliteraryfestival.org/liter ... doo-dreams

http://oxfordliteraryfestival.org/liter ... -they-tell

http://oxfordliteraryfestival.org/liter ... ture-diary

Dream on, BarnOwl. Hahahahaha!

Oh well, at least I have a few new books to consider for my Kindle.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Interesting post. One can – almost – agree with this:
A while ago, a good friend of mine and I were talking about the problems with some subject, like abortion and gun control, and we came to a conclusion that, thus far, has proven quite accurate: the problem with such topics isn’t that agreement, or even reasoned disagreement is impossible, but rather that we allow idiots to contribute.
One might reasonably argue that people shouldn’t be allowed to vote – or have kids – until they’ve proven themselves capable of doing so. Although the complexities – and downsides – of actually implementing and enforcing those policies might make them more trouble than they’re worth.

And this was amusing, although maybe suggestive of some underlying problems and potential solutions:
I swear, you’d think saying “cunt” made their eyes explode or something.
Maybe it triggers mini-strokes. Maybe, as in A Clockwork Orange, they need to be captured, tied down, and bombarded with “cunt” – with or without Beethoven blaring in the background – until the word no longer had any effects. Wouldn’t necessarily make them any less idiots, but at least they wouldn’t be getting their panties in a bunch simply over the sounds of words.

However, this seems a little more problematic:
It’s all nonsense. Here’s how you solve this problem. Ignore the lot of them, and us. (And I say this as a frequent poster on the ‘pit.) Neither side is indicative of any great movement. Neither side is indicative of anything serious. There is no schism, this is not a real problem.
Seems to me that while the FfTB-Pit-Skepchick battle is not the entire war – for an analogous example, Merrill’s Marauders in Burma versus Eisenhower in Europe, some of the same principles of some importance are in play which makes the “game” worth the candle. And it seems to me that one of the primary ones is the question of the viability of postmodernism which brings along no small amount of feminism in its wake – at least of the “gender” variety – and which is, I think, no small part of the dispute with FtTB and Skepchick. And for somewhat of an elaboration on the topic I’ll recommend this review of Higher Superstition: The Academic Left and Its Quarrels with Science by scientists Paul Gross and Norman Levitt, as well as this obituary of Levitt in Michael Shermer’s Skeptic which includes, as well as Levitt’s review of some postmodernist tripe, this brief summary of the problem:
Norman [Levitt] was best known, however, for his relentless defense of science, particularly against those in the academy — generally labeled as social constructivists, deconstructionists, or postmodernists — who tended to lump science in with other cultural traditions as “just another way of knowing” that is no better than any other tradition, and thereby reduce the scientific enterprise to little more than culturally-determined guess work at best and hegemonic power mongering at worst.
Methinks the barbarians are already well ensconced in academia rather than being merely at the gates.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

TheMan wrote: Here's a break down of what I'm paying

$45/month for an ADSL2+ connection. I'm considered far away from my telephone exchange so my seeps are 5.5 Mbps,120GB download limit
$15/month Mobile + Data. $440 worth of Mobile calls + 1.5GB data...way way more than I need
$42/month Telephone line rental + cal costs (not timed calles like in USA) on avereage it's about $55/month

Cable connections here cost roughly $80/month as a starting price
More than twenty years ago I spent eight months in Kingston, Jamaica. The first week I was there I saw a couple of men stringing cable to the telephone posts that also supported electricity and the phone lines. So I went out to inquire what they were doing and was offered cable TV at US$10.00 per month.

I got what I roughly calculated that back home in Canada, would have cost me over $200 monthly, and that included channels that simply were not available for love or money either.

Cell phones were also very cheap and cost not much more. So cheap in fact that I saw a few people (including a coconut vendor) with two. The mark of a womanizer for certes.

Internet access however, was limited to a 56kb dial up connection, and what you got was the shittiest service ever from Cable & Wireless who had the monopoly. It was either that or pay US$50 per hour for a fibre connection from an individual who maintained an office staffed by two people.

I was introduced to the manager for the Cable & Wireless fiasco at the St. Andrew Golf Course one day, and as soon as I said I was from Toronto, the Pommy Bastard blanched, because he knew what was coming next, and sure enough I then tore a strip off of him for the worst internet service in the world. Did not help of course but it was a very satisfying (to me anyway) rant.

Anyway,

Internet Speeds and Costs Around the World, Shown Visually (2009)
http://gizmodo.com/5390014/internet-spe ... n-visually

Do a search on "broadband internet access around the world" and you will get quite a few hits on the subject such as :
http://royal.pingdom.com/2012/11/01/hon ... broadband/
With an average peak connection speed of 49.2 Mbps, Hong Kong is a few megabits per second faster than South Korea in the number two spot.

Mykeru

Those scumbags

Post by Mykeru »

Do they never learn?

[youtube]Hv_eUh5FWZ4[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
cunt wrote:Edinburgh literary festival is pretty cool. I met Iain M Banks there once and forced the fucker to sign my tits.
Ah, but was he Iain M Banks or Iain Banks, and how could you tell?
Iain Banks told me to go fuck myself later on.
The experience had no doubt had a profound effect on him. I always wondered what inspired him to write feersum endjinn. Little did I suspect that it would turn out to be something I would rather not have known.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

acathode wrote:
Ehm, already did... in response to TedDahlberg who brought it up a few days ago.
But to repeat myself, this is not directed at women specifically, it's directed at everyone, both men and women, on both the left and the right political spectrum. However, feminists and leftist journalists have more control over our national media, and are trying to make this into a the people who vote for the "Swedish Democrats" are not only racists but also misogynists who try to silence women on the left.[/quote]

Thanks for the update. Clearly I was not paying attention, so I am going to do a search and see what else I missed.
Submariner wrote: So, in other words, different country-same script.
And different intensity of reaction.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Is Julian in the military? He said "CO" and "enlistment". If so, I've encountered racist comments from a few people while in the military, and the chain of command took it VERY SERIOUSLY!

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Cb601Nu.jpg

Karla asks if he reported any of these things...

http://i.imgur.com/yAQiPXq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8Y5SvoM.jpg
If I had a chimpanzee in my office, I would talk about it all the time. That's freaking awesome.

In any event, Karla's right. If the people are calling him a fag etc, then he should report it because it would be against harassment policy / probably illegal. "Right - uncle sam cares!" isn't a response.

If his house was burgled, he'd probably not report it and say "Yeah, like the police care, ffs. Stupid burglary-loving culture we have here!"

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

rocko2466 wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Cb601Nu.jpg

Karla asks if he reported any of these things...

http://i.imgur.com/yAQiPXq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8Y5SvoM.jpg
If I had a chimpanzee in my office, I would talk about it all the time. That's freaking awesome.

In any event, Karla's right. If the people are calling him a fag etc, then he should report it because it would be against harassment policy / probably illegal. "Right - uncle sam cares!" isn't a response.

If his house was burgled, he'd probably not report it and say "Yeah, like the police care, ffs. Stupid burglary-loving culture we have here!"
Oh right! A chimpanzee in office is a reference to Obama.

A chimpanzee is not a monkey and therefore if the intended racial epithet is 'monkey', then these people lose poorly.
If they refer to the 'chimpanzees in Congress' and their usual reference to politicians = chimpanzee, then it might not be racist. If they referred to Bush as a chimpanzee (which a lot of people seemed to), then it might not be racist.

That said, it probably is racist, though. But I don't think it would carry that connotation as easily outside of the US.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

masakari2012 wrote:Is Julian in the military? He said "CO" and "enlistment". If so, I've encountered racist comments from a few people while in the military, and the chain of command took it VERY SERIOUSLY!
If he is in the armed services, I really can't imagine he's not been called a spic frequently, and been the subject of jokes about lube jobs, etc.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Jack wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
As long as the place has at least 20 elevators, we don't want anyone losing out mysogony opportunities. Sell some racist hat ceramics along with 'coffee' on demand and we're sorted.

The Circus Circus in Reno has some nice elevators to be harrassed in. And Vegas is in such a depression right now, rooms may be cheap.

comslave

Post by comslave »

rocko2466 wrote:

We could hold the Slymepit conference at a strip club, that would repel most of the FTP'ers.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

The military is not like in the old days, and they take those comments very seriously. If it's a friendly environment where everyone understand that they're joking and the subject of the comment doesn't see it as a problem, then it may be passable, though it still may not be "okay" (we would have to get more info on each scenario to determine). Same as how my best friends and I crack mild jokes on each other at times. We all understand that we're simply joking about the stereotypes for laughs and not each other, but joking like that to someone else who we don't know may not be the best thing, since they might not understand.

I know because I was subjected to racist comments in 4 different incidents, given the time and the circumstances of what was happening in the world. One of them went to Captain's mast and was "awarded" with a demotion in rank, restriction, and extra duty. One of them called me a racial slur while in a foreign port and wanted to fight, but his friends dragged him away, and my chain of command was unable to do anything because I didn't know what division he worked for. One of them was pending charges while I was transferring at the time (so I didn't know what the outcome was), and one of them sincerely apologized and didn't see why he was being racist (though his own supervisor took me aside and told me that if I press charges, he would back me up), and I decided to drop it because I felt that he didn't intend it seriously, and made a bad choice in his attempt at a joke, although his announcement about me (a complete stranger to him at the time) when I walked into his workcenter was very prejudice.

If it was a crack about Julian's race and he wasn't sure about it, he could tell them not to call him a chimpanzee and that he will take actions if they continue. After that, any subsequent remarks can be taken up his chain of command. If someone above him rejects it, he can go to the person above him/her, and so forth, until it is resolved. Embracing victim-hood is a poor way to handle it, especially when the military have policies to address these issues.

Even if it's a remark which is not necessarily racist, but hurts him, it can still be dealt with. What matters is that he does not feel any pressure or experience a negative environment which will hinder him from performing his military duties. The people responsible will be dealt with, and if necessary, they can be discharged. Most naval officers are QUICK to jump in and help any enlisted sailor who experience such things, even if they are not directly in the person's chain of command.

But that's IF he's in the military. He may be referring to some other type of job, in which case, what Karla Porter said would apply. Most civilian jobs have the same type of policies in place.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Don't call women girls ... http://www.lilliechilen.com/woman.html

This is the kind of crazy that makes me fear for the sanity of humankind ...

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Apparently, you can't call a woman a "woman" either, like Richard Dawkins did on twitter.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Don't call women girls ... http://www.lilliechilen.com/woman.html

Guys and Dolls

Good movie..

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Don't call women girls ... http://www.lilliechilen.com/woman.html

Guys and Dolls

Good movie..
SEXIST SWINE!!!!

incognito

Post by incognito »

Y'all see tonight's A+ drama?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

incognito wrote:Y'all see tonight's A+ drama?
Link?

incognito

Post by incognito »

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I share that person's dislike of hearing adult females called "girls", but I wouldn't put up a blog post or do a talk or video about it. There's only one situation in which I tell people I think they should use "woman" instead. (And it's one where I'm grading them, so *heh* it gets results!)

That one situation is when medical students use it for medical work, as when a student starts presenting an adult female patient to me by calling her "girl", as in: "This 24 year old girl presents with..." [description of medical concern or problem]). That use of "girl" irks me to no end. Perhaps not surprisingly, it's usually a younger male student (mid-20's) rather than an older male student or a female student, but that's not why it irks me.

First, there's no way anyone in medicine (including a student) would call a male that age a "boy". This isn't what I say to them, though.

Second, what we're doing is applied human biology (or at least we like to think so) - so IMO we should use the appropriate terms, in this case, the terms appropriate for the juvenile and adult forms respectively. This is how I present it to them, briefly, & they've all studied biology so they understand this right away. And, really, it's not that different from other examples of standard vocabulary in medicine, which the medical students are soaking up during their training. (It's not a kneecap, it's a patella. Red skin & mucous membranes aren't red, they're erythematous. And so on.)

Oh, and did I mention, I'm evaluating them at the end of the rotation, so they learn very quickly to avoid using "girl" to refer to an adult. :twisted:

I'm fine with women addressing each other as "girl" or "girls" in a social/friendly use, e.g. "Hey, girls, let's head to dinner!" It intrigues me that this "sounds" okay, presumably something about in-group use (like "nigger" perhaps, though of course not as loaded as that word).
masakari2012 wrote:Apparently, you can't call a woman a "woman" either, like Richard Dawkins did on twitter.
Yeah, now that particular line of criticism was ridiculous.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Holy shit, they've all gone completely batshit insane. Atheism Plus: where being a blind, deaf, amputee isn't objectively bad.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Holy shit, they've all gone completely batshit insane. Atheism Plus: where being a blind, deaf, amputee isn't objectively bad.
Mmm, I've apparently been reading too much there, because their reaction didn't strike me as at all unexpected. It is funny how Mr Samsa keeps saying he is NOT saying "X" and they (esp Setar) keep telling him he IS saying "X", though.

That thread does explain this thread, from which it was apparently split:
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3923 ("The Banning of Marine Rachel").

So, hey, probably 2 bannings from this*, pretty efficient, wouldn't you say.

*Because you don't really think they're going to let Mr.Samsa stay, do you?

________

This post in the original thread linked above, from ceepolk, is kinda telling (bolding added):
Re: PZ: if Soc&Pol are off agenda "well then, fuck skepticis
Postby ceepolk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:39 am

There are not enough mods online to make discussion of this thread timely, so I am locking it until we've had a chance to discuss it.

With the number of moderators currently active, I must stress that this will probably take days to accomplish.
(Onamission5 is the last mod I know of who stepped down, but that was at least a week ago, I think)

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Metalogic42 wrote:
It really is like a real live version of Searle's chinese box where the poor Pzombies (Surely someone has Called Myers PZombie Myers) are limited in output so that each response must contain one of the following

Stop.
Fuck You.
Privilege.
Misogyny
patriarchy.
Rape.
Double Down
apologise.
shut up.
listen.

but otherwise they may as well be chatbot.

incognito

Post by incognito »

Hmmm...they have a new admin:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/memberlis ... ofile&u=63
Site Admin
Username:BlagHag Location:SeattleGroups: Add friend Add foe
CONTACT BLAGHAG

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Flewellyn:
"While you're taking a week off, mood2, review marinerachel's posting history."

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

incognito

Post by incognito »

They have 4 or 5 new mods, too.

Who's Bill Haines?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

incognito wrote:They have 4 or 5 new mods, too.

Who's Bill Haines?
My hypothesis is that they're all ceepolk, flewellyn, and setar, posting under different accounts. :P

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

incognito wrote:Hmmm...they have a new admin:

Site Admin
CONTACT BLAGHAG
I can't see member records any more there (the account I was using to lurk was banned) but I'm pretty sure BlagHag has been listed as an Admin for a long time, presumably since the start - didn't she start the site?

Or is there a recent join date, or some other indication that it's new?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Skep tickle wrote:

Site Admin
CONTACT BLAGHAG
I can't see member records any more there (the account I was using to lurk was banned) but I'm pretty sure BlagHag has been listed as an Admin for a long time, presumably since the start - didn't she start the site?

The account itself is old, but I can't recall whether it was always an admin or not. But the last login is December 31.

incognito

Post by incognito »

Skep tickle wrote:

Site Admin
CONTACT BLAGHAG

She joined a long time ago, and either my memory is absolutely 100% worse than I'm aware of, or she was't listed as an admin when I was posting there. (Although she might have been before I joined; I didn't show up till October.)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Metalogic42 wrote:
incognito wrote:They have 4 or 5 new mods, too.

Who's Bill Haines?
My hypothesis is that they're all ceepolk, flewellyn, and setar, posting under different accounts. :P
Hmm. Franc hasn't been around here much recently...

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

So, a question, if anyone knows: I have 293 tweets, 49 following and 41 followers. How resilient am I to being suspended via mass blocking?

incognito

Post by incognito »

Metalogic42 wrote:So, a question, if anyone knows: I have 293 tweets, 49 following and 41 followers. How resilient am I to being suspended via mass blocking?
Probably very.
I'm not exactly a twitter expert, tho.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Michael K Gray

Suspended

Post by Michael K Gray »

Metalogic42 wrote:How resilient am I to being suspended via mass blocking?
What, like this A+/FTB Idiot, HalfwitGefiltefish?
https://haifischgeweint.files.wordpress ... c_1490.jpg
Oh, and TRIGGER WARNING!

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

masakari2012 wrote:The military is not like in the old days, and they take those comments very seriously. If it's a friendly environment where everyone understand that they're joking and the subject of the comment doesn't see it as a problem, then it may be passable, though it still may not be "okay" (we would have to get more info on each scenario to determine). Same as how my best friends and I crack mild jokes on each other at times. We all understand that we're simply joking about the stereotypes for laughs and not each other, but joking like that to someone else who we don't know may not be the best thing, since they might not understand.

I know because I was subjected to racist comments in 4 different incidents, given the time and the circumstances of what was happening in the world. One of them went to Captain's mast and was "awarded" with a demotion in rank, restriction, and extra duty. One of them called me a racial slur while in a foreign port and wanted to fight, but his friends dragged him away, and my chain of command was unable to do anything because I didn't know what division he worked for. One of them was pending charges while I was transferring at the time (so I didn't know what the outcome was), and one of them sincerely apologized and didn't see why he was being racist (though his own supervisor took me aside and told me that if I press charges, he would back me up), and I decided to drop it because I felt that he didn't intend it seriously, and made a bad choice in his attempt at a joke, although his announcement about me (a complete stranger to him at the time) when I walked into his workcenter was very prejudice.

If it was a crack about Julian's race and he wasn't sure about it, he could tell them not to call him a chimpanzee and that he will take actions if they continue. After that, any subsequent remarks can be taken up his chain of command. If someone above him rejects it, he can go to the person above him/her, and so forth, until it is resolved. Embracing victim-hood is a poor way to handle it, especially when the military have policies to address these issues.

Even if it's a remark which is not necessarily racist, but hurts him, it can still be dealt with. What matters is that he does not feel any pressure or experience a negative environment which will hinder him from performing his military duties. The people responsible will be dealt with, and if necessary, they can be discharged. Most naval officers are QUICK to jump in and help any enlisted sailor who experience such things, even if they are not directly in the person's chain of command.

But that's IF he's in the military. He may be referring to some other type of job, in which case, what Karla Porter said would apply. Most civilian jobs have the same type of policies in place.
Can I ask what slur you got called? I was going to assume you were black but then I realised you might be hispanic or Asian or native American or something.

Not that it matters, but am curious.

I'm colour-blind. So if you're red or green and stand next to someone else who is red or green I won't be able to tell you're different.

That was a joke, by the way.

Metalogic42

Re: Suspended

Post by Metalogic42 »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:How resilient am I to being suspended via mass blocking?
What, like this A+/FTB Idiot, HalfwitGefiltefish?
https://haifischgeweint.files.wordpress ... c_1490.jpg
Oh, and TRIGGER WARNING!
ouch.....

fap fap fap

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Also, SUCK A DICK, GRAY. Wtf was that picture.

(And, no, I'm not tone-policing, but Jesus Christ we need the spoiler thing back again!)

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

Oh good. You two losers sandwiched my normal-person-post inside two copies of that effing picture.