Bunkspubble!

Old subthreads
bhoytony

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by bhoytony »

nippletwister wrote:
So....why not just start a new topic instead of whining?
Sorry, did you say something? I'd nodded off there.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

bhoytony wrote:Lsuoma, please kill the site now. Either that or start a new thread and banish all these boring arseholes going on and on and on and on about the fucking LIST. None of them are going to change their opinion, but that isn't going to stop them from posting another dozen pages of shite. I think everybody has got the general idea of where they all stand on the matter.
Er, which LIST would that be, Earthman?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote:Get fucked grunting cuntybaws.
ooh, parliamo Glasgow? Not a bad attempt.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

decius wrote:
Steersman wrote: Just out of curiosity and as a point of reference, I wonder what you and decius and others thought and said about Mykeru outing “Creepy Bitter Girl” over the Great Poster Tear-down Extravaganza.
Remind me, because if she mentioned her by screen name, I wouldn't call it outing.
Mykeru clearly mentioned her real name in that video.

[youtube]Yy0gryjLIsU[/youtube]

Sasha Wiley-Shaw at 10:13; linked to the Great Poster Tear-down Extravagana at 2:58 ….

“Mob justice” is just a little problematic, but, with due care and attention, methinks there can be some justifications for some versions of it ….

decius

Post by decius »

Fuckin barry like.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

welch wrote:
debaser71 wrote:
Submariner wrote:The street addresses are not published (unlike sex offender registries in the US), just the names and a city. If they published actual street addresses, I would be more inclined to agree that it's intimidation and a call for vigilantism. Not totally inclined, just more likely inclined. After all, the government in the US posts lists of people with their street address, for any sex offense.
I get a letter in the mail inviting me to see the list anytime someone is added to it. I don't think they mail me the address though, they mail me to remind me that the name and address is available at the town hall. And on that....many sex offenders on that list have trouble finding real homes to live at (shocking right?) so they stay at motels and such. Motels a few blocks away from my house. Awesome...now all the homeless sex offenders shack up together a few minutes walk from my house. Who is the government protecting really?
Pretty much. That law was a reaction to a really horrible crime, and people demanded the government DO SOMETHING RIGHT NOW.

Awesome. We now have created a permanent homeless class of dangerous criminals (in the cases of actual pedophiles/sex offenders) and an oubliette for people who aren't anything like that at all, but visible genitalia was involved. Way to solve the problem.
Ok, as i get up to "Pit Time" I can see that a lot of people are bitching about a conversation they aren't even in. So to appease the whiny cunts this is the last thing I'll say about any lists for the time being.

And what I have to say is.....you make a damn good point here, Welch, I've often thought the same thing about offender lists. They don't seem to help anyone, ever. I still don't see any calls for vigilantism related to AVFM, but i guess that's more in the eye of the beholder, or in our expectations of others.

And I think you and others are a bit naive about how easy it may be to get off such a government list, and the level of "accountability' the government has, which is basically none at all. The American court system in general is very, very reluctant to exonerate people, even when all the evidence is against the court's judgement, and we are absolutely horrible about removing biased or corrupt judges and DA's.
But at least you can't call it vigilantism, I guess that's worth a hot mustard fart or something.

...and I'm done with the subject.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

decius wrote:Fuckin barry like.
Sorry, not parliamo Glasgow. Thats from the land of Salt and Sauce. You were doing well till then, did you get that from Trainspotting?.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Meanwhile, over at FTB, there's a lot of enthusiasm over Svan and Peez sorry, Chris Clarke's latest posts as regards the inherent goodness of being uncivil - cos being, like, all civil and that is totes patriachal, or privileged, or some fuckin thing.

I think the Slymepit can therefore expect a thankyou note from FTB sometime soon, for being so kind in documenting the more egregious examples of their incivility. Really, it's been a pleasure.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

bhoytony wrote:
decius wrote:Fuckin barry like.
Sorry, not parliamo Glasgow. Thats from the land of Salt and Sauce. You were doing well till then, did you get that from Trainspotting?.
No True Scotsman?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Jan Steen wrote:[

No True Scotsman?
No True Weegie

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tigzy wrote:Meanwhile, over at FTB, there's a lot of enthusiasm over Svan and Peez sorry, Chris Clarke's latest posts as regards the inherent goodness of being uncivil - cos being, like, all civil and that is totes patriachal, or privileged, or some fuckin thing.

I think the Slymepit can therefore expect a thankyou note from FTB sometime soon, for being so kind in documenting the more egregious examples of their incivility. Really, it's been a pleasure.
Rather than worry overmuch about civility, I pledge to be as kind as possible. And sometimes the kindest possible contribution to a discussion with someone acting in bad faith and harmfully is to tell them to go fuck themselves sideways.
Go fuck yourself sideways Chris.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Lsuoma wrote: Oh, alright - I've been pugged into it: the Pit Lives On!!!!!
That's just typical. Playing doG with our emotions.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Batshit Benson wrote:Brave hero JREF Saviour ElevatorGATE storifies an “exchange” between two Twitter accounts that use my real name as their handles. No harassment here folks! Public figure! Freeze peach!
Hey everyone, parody is harassment! And if you're going to parody (harass) someone, using the name they go by is even more harassment!

Mark Neil

Post by Mark Neil »

welch wrote:As well, the "authority" of the list doesn't make it okay. You state over and over that you think the list is a bad idea, yet when anyone but you or some other "approved person" criticizes the list, you work overtime to dismiss said criticism.
I've objected to a single criticism, that the list was created with the intention to provoke violence. I've repeatedly stated that is the accusation I am opposed to, not any others. And yet you're accusing me of working overtime to dismiss ANY criticism? You fuck, and grow up.
welch wrote:I think such a list can POTENTIALLY be used for a crime, especially given how it's written, but that's true of any "enemies" list, including the SPLC's. Which was used as a guide for some nutjob with a gun. AVfM is hardly unique here.

In and of itself, it isn't instigating crime more than a list of cookies instigates obesity. In fact, I pointed out that getting penalized, criminally or civilly, for instigating a crime is rather difficult and uncommon. But this list doesn't exist in a vacuum. The intent of the list is not simply informative, nor academic. Look at the tone of the narratives for the entries. This is a highly vindictive list, one I think is in fact designed to intimidate people. I don't think it succeeds, because fuck, JTO and Paul Elam aren't even more popular than an old cat meme, but success doesn't remove what seems to be the obvious goal.
then argue that point instead of the appeals to emotion, false equivalencies and assumptions you and cunt have been throwing around. If you feel they have the "intent" to instigate people into violence, PROVE IT. I've stated I'm open to being convinced (and have stated I'm not a fan of the list, so I don't have a stake in defending it to stay up), but none of you have bothered to attempt to do so. All I've seen are assertions that intimidation and provocation is their intent, and appeals to emotion to accept that assertion. And I'm not buying it. The baboons and other feminists use the exact same tactics to claim their own victimhood. The assumption of motives and the expectation for others to accept those assumptions and condemn the accused has caused a great deal of damage in many walks of life. If you want to make an assertion on AVfM's motives for making the list, then arguing the list is a bad idea is the wrong way to support that assertion, as whether the list is a bad idea or not says absolutely nothing about the motives for creating it.

cunt

Post by cunt »

This is a green light. I get to go on pharyngula and call them all a bunch of worthless air-headed floating bags of smug dogshit. I'm going to kill them with kindness.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

The pit appears to be in disarray, packed with a bunch of ravenous lions who are about to devour each other.

Here's something to read. It's NoelPlum99's responses on Camels with Hammers. Let me just put the link righ... Wait, stay back *swings stick at approaching lions, and checks all directions*....
Let me just put this link right here. *places the link down quickly and runs out the gate*....

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswith ... ment-22560

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Batshit Benson wrote:Brave hero JREF Saviour ElevatorGATE storifies an “exchange” between two Twitter accounts that use my real name as their handles. No harassment here folks! Public figure! Freeze peach!
Hey everyone, parody is harassment! And if you're going to parody (harass) someone, using the name they go by is even more harassment!
:lol: - just beat me to it - granny Benson getting her bloomers in a twist because two parody accounts were tweeting at each other.

Course, Ophelia, if you had EG and the parody accounts blocked, you wouldn't have been able to experience this 'harassment'...would you? ;)

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -accounts/
http://www.freezepage.com/1360887847EZQODEFSJK

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
sammy 009-crop.JPG
This is a REAL dog, 15 lb. and it is his birthday!
Which end is which?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Totally apropos of nothing (I just want people to listen to me talk) - Room 101:

[youtube]d6OXoHnXxMQ[/youtube]

Yer welcome :D

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Tigzy wrote:

:lol: - just beat me to it - granny Benson getting her bloomers in a twist because two parody accounts were tweeting at each other.

Course, Ophelia, if you had EG and the parody accounts blocked, you wouldn't have been able to experience this 'harassment'...would you? ;)
If only there were somebody who could come up with a cunning plan so she could block those horrible tweets. Will nobody save her?

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

I defend rapists from time to time. the sex offender registry has a few problems. IMO it is created to track the efforts of sexual deviants - those who are violent and/or attracted to children. However, there are many on the registry who don't fit neatly in either category, which waters it down. Second, the practical effect on people is that it creates a tidy list with which drastically reduces someone's ability to live and work. However, there really isn't any corresponding monitoring or support, which means that sex offenders have little incentive follow the law or correct their actions. Parole officers aren't inclined to punish people for being homeless, and are more likely to try and push them off the books.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

OK, now here is the real deal. A kill list. The kind that if you are on it, you have a fair chance that some one is actively working on ensuring you will wind up dead.

DOJ kill list memo forces many Dems out of the closet as overtly unprincipled hacks
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -kill-list
This past week has been a strangely clarifying political moment. It was caused by two related events: the leak of the Justice Department's "white paper" justifying Obama's claimed power to execute Americans without charges, followed by John Brennan's alarming confirmation hearing (as Charles Pierce wrote: "the man whom the administration has put up to head the CIA would not say whether or not the president of the United States has the power to order the extrajudicial killing of a United States citizen within the borders of the United States"). I describe last week's process as "strange" because, for some reason, those events caused large numbers of people for the first time to recognize, accept and begin to confront truths that have long been readily apparent.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

masakari2012 wrote:The pit appears to be in disarray, packed with a bunch of ravenous lions who are about to devour each other.

Here's something to read. It's NoelPlum99's responses on Camels with Hammers. Let me just put the link righ... Wait, stay back *swings stick at approaching lions, and checks all directions*....
Let me just put this link right here. *places the link down quickly and runs out the gate*....

A quote from Ulysees:

"The pledge is a noble gesture on your part, Daniel. But that’s all it is, a gesture. Consider the denizens of the Slymepit. A woman or a “mangina” (their term) attempting to argue with them in a civil manner is an exercise in futility. I’ve seen Justin Vacula and Franc Hoggle in action. They see people being civil to them as weaklings, ready for the kill. I’ve seen Ophelia Benson ask to be left alone by the Slymepitters. That doesn’t happen."

And the hyperbole thickens...

free thoughtpolice

KiwiInOz wrote:
sammy 009-crop.JPG
Which end is which?
When he was a puppy in 4" grass it was impossible to tell. As a rule now the end pointed to a food source is likely the head.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

A quote from Ulysees:

I’ve seen Justin Vacula and Franc Hoggle in action.
Like two peas in a pod. Justin seems to be the mildest, most patient commentator on this whole pile of shite. I'd have gone fucking tonto a long, long time ago if I was him. He must have the patience of a saint, god bless him.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

welch wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
welch wrote:
You do get the difference between dozing someone, and maintaining a permanent enemies list, right? For example, let's say that someone on the list has a moment of "lord, I was dumb", and while not becoming an MRA, no longer thinks that MRAs should be denied basic civil rights. How would they go about getiting their name off the list? Is the list reviewed for accuracy?
This is a good point. No list should be maintained unless it is actually maintained because then it could be quite harmful.
Exactly. They have a form for submitting names with a list of requirements. But nothing, nothing about what it takes to get off the list.

However, we have the inklings of what doesn't get you removed:

1) Death
2) Serving out your sentence

I was partially incorrect though. It is clear the list is actively maintained in the sense of keeping tabs on everyone who was ever on it. It does not appear that removing people who should no longer be on the list is of any priority whatsoever.
I'm starting to like the idea less and less.

I think a "name and shame" might be appropriate in like an article on the protest, but keeping an enemies list (except a well-maintained one of public figures) is a bit far.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

AnotherLurkerMkII wrote:
decius wrote:
Jack wrote:Can someone explain to me why a few days without relevant posts to A+/FtB means the sky is falling on our head? I must have missed something.
LSuoma has her cycle.
Or maybe all those ads paying from Project Wonderful finally paid him a new mansion and a boat, so he has little use for the Pit now.

Mr. LSuoma, how do you responde to these biting allegations?
He has changed his name to DotCom and he lives in New Zealand. Oh, Lsuoma!

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

masakari2012 wrote:The pit appears to be in disarray, packed with a bunch of ravenous lions who are about to devour each other.

A quote from Ulysees:

"The pledge is a noble gesture on your part, Daniel. But that’s all it is, a gesture. Consider the denizens of the Slymepit. A woman or a “mangina” (their term) attempting to argue with them in a civil manner is an exercise in futility. I’ve seen Justin Vacula and Franc Hoggle in action. They see people being civil to them as weaklings, ready for the kill. I’ve seen Ophelia Benson ask to be left alone by the Slymepitters. That doesn’t happen."

I've never seen Justin Vacula being uncivil to anyone. And Franc doesn't pick on people who are weaklings. I've never seen Franc dedicate a whole blog towards someone who didn't try to lead a group against another. On the contrary, Franc has stood up for the weak, weak in this context being people who don't have the voice that FTB has but uses that voice to wrongfully tar and feather others (the weak), and use their sycophant armies to PM the person with continuous false remarks, and have that person "excommunicated" from the major atheist circles.

As a proud Slyme Pitter, I don't think that I've "picked" on anyone other than FTB and their main allies for their stupidity, hypocrisy, and lies. Maybe there are other Slyme Pitters who do, but this is only a forum that serves as a junction point on the internet for people who have similar views toward this dogmatic feminist infestation. The characteristics of us as individuals vary.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

free thoughtpolice wrote: A quote from Ulysees:

Side-effect of a liberal arts education: I thought you were about to quote Ulysses.

I was like "I dont remember a 'Daniel' in Ulysses..."

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

My entry in the pet Olympics:
Snowball.JPG
(27.97 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

another lurker wrote:cunt, decius, MKG and myself all agreed that doxing and maintaining a list of anyone, male or female = bad. I have not seen anyone here, in fact, come out and say that a double standard is in any way acceptable.
Santa Claus is fucked then, with you lot on his case.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

bhoytony wrote:Lsuoma, please kill the site now. Either that or start a new thread and banish all these boring arseholes going on and on and on and on about the fucking LIST. None of them are going to change their opinion, but that isn't going to stop them from posting another dozen pages of shite. I think everybody has got the general idea of where they all stand on the matter.
This is Bunkspubble, Tony. You don't get to subject-police. If you want a thread about how cool you are, make one.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Not to be left out of the Dog Show, here is my 140 pound dog-bear who goes by the name of Syren:
dog-bear-pig.jpg
(39.74 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
She's 1 of 4 sweet doggies.

Git

Post by Git »

I must have missed memo that required me to refer to all women as "maginas" which the FTBorg quoted above is obviously referring to.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Tigzy wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -accounts/
http://www.freezepage.com/1360887847EZQODEFSJK
But then she also wouldn't get the desired reaction:
Anthony K

February 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm (UTC -8) Link to this comment

‘Nother donation, Ophelia.
Gotta keep the shoes rolling in....

Git

Post by Git »

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

masakari2012 wrote: I've never seen Justin Vacula being uncivil to anyone.
His moustache is uncivil.

free thoughtpolice

Submariner wrote:My entry in the pet Olympics:
Snowball.JPG
If there is a dog penis in the fluff somewhere you might want to put a trigger warning on that picture in case someone with a phobia toward non-humyn penii happens on it. :rimshot:

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Patheos appears to have eaten my comment. Bollocks. Trouble is, when I tried to resend, it says I'm posting a duplicate comment. :?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Submariner wrote:My entry in the pet Olympics:
Snowball.JPG
If there is a dog penis in the fluff somewhere you might want to put a trigger warning on that picture in case someone with a phobia toward non-humyn penii happens on it. :rimshot:
I have to admit, I laughed at this.
Snowball, or as he's affectionately known to the adults in my house, Dumbass has a doggie penis, but no doggie balls.

cunt

Post by cunt »

rocko2466 wrote:
another lurker wrote:cunt, decius, MKG and myself all agreed that doxing and maintaining a list of anyone, male or female = bad. I have not seen anyone here, in fact, come out and say that a double standard is in any way acceptable.
With the amount of put-on, disingenuous, shit-eating, faux naivety on display here in the last couple of days, it would not surprise me one bit if some twat now popped up and argued for the existence of Santa.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

I'll just leave this here:
ch130214.gif
(89.7 KiB) Downloaded 148 times

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

rocko2466 wrote:
Uncivil? It's an abomination and a crime against humanity. Apart from that Justin ain't too bad.

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
Uncivil? It's an abomination and a crime against humanity. Apart from that Justin ain't too bad.
Besides the mustache mind you, I work with him 5 days a week and have never seen him less than polite, well mannered, professional, patient and a very good listener - not to mention well spoken and educated. What's wrong with these people? :?

OK, perhaps that's a rhetorical question..

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

My entry to the Slyme Pit's Pet Picture Olympics....
http://i.imgur.com/K8cStPL.jpg?1

free thoughtpolice

cunt wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
With the amount of put-on, disingenuous, shit-eating, faux naivety on display here in the last couple of days, it would not surprise me one bit if some twat now popped up and argued for the existence of Santa.
Have you ever heard of Saint Niklaus from what is now Turkey. Of course he existed and the evidence is better than that for Jesus, King Arthur or cunt for that matter.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tigzy wrote:Patheos appears to have eaten my comment. Bollocks. Trouble is, when I tried to resend, it says I'm posting a duplicate comment. :?
And to top it off, Sally Syringe's comment gets in and mine doesn't!

Ah fuggit. I tried.

masakari2012

Post by masakari2012 »

Tigzy, screencap your comment.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

rocko2466 wrote:
This is Bunkspubble, Tony. You don't get to subject-police. If you want a thread about how cool you are, make one.
The name is bhoytony, not Tony, and how is your telling me this not subject-policing? Anyway this thread is already all about how cool I am.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

KiwiInOz wrote:
sammy 009-crop.JPG
Which end is which?
When he was a puppy in 4" grass it was impossible to tell. As a rule now the end pointed to a food source is likely the head.

:D

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

masakari2012 wrote:Tigzy, screencap your comment.
Wasn't anything massively important. Just figured I'd balance things out a little with regard to Ulysses' Slymepit comment:
@Ulysses

I don't quite see why you think the Slymepit ought to be singled out in this respect, when we can just as easily consider the commentators who frequent Freethought Blogs also - such as Wowbagger, who stated that the seriously wished another commentator would die in a fire; Julian, who is on record as stating that other commentators should commit suicide, have their necks broken and their spines ripped out; and Josh Official Spokesgay, who frequently tells commentators he disagrees with to go away and die.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

from here http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... bal-abuse/
Kausik Datta
February 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm (UTC -8) Link to this comment
But you forget, Ophelia…
(a) Paula Kirby has not been verbally abused as a gamer. Therefore, verbal abuse of women gamers doesn’t exist. And anyone who disagrees is a bully, bully I say!
(b) Verbal abuse of women gamers? Do you know how much harsher and more inhuman conditions women in the Middle East, Africa, or [-insert country of appropriate outrage here-] face? Everything else pales in comparison, I tells ya! Wimmin gamerz, forsooth!

[Ewww. While typing these in, I threw up in my mouth a little. Sadly, the memories are still fresh.]
Misogyny in the Middle East is a real problem. Verbal harassment in games is a first world problem. I'm sure you can connect the dots. With all that's happening to women in the Middle East, they would LOVE it if all they had to contend with was fuckwits insulting them online. But if you want to marginalize them because the Prune has a stick up her arse with a fetish for drama, then all I can say to you is: FUCK YOU.

Also, you suck at making analogies. But do you want to know what makes me puke a little in my mouth? Idiots like you.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

I'll add one more puppeh to the collection: meet Puffin
Puffin.jpg
(33.17 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

welch

Post by welch »

nippletwister wrote:
welch wrote:
Submariner wrote:The street addresses are not published (unlike sex offender registries in the US), just the names and a city. If they published actual street addresses, I would be more inclined to agree that it's intimidation and a call for vigilantism. Not totally inclined, just more likely inclined. After all, the government in the US posts lists of people with their street address, for any sex offense.
Have you heard of the Internet? I mean, is this all new to you? Give me a name and a city, and in most countries, within 24 hours, maybe 48, I can have an AMAZING amount of personal information on you. You don't even have to be good at google, there are companies who will do this for you, and the fees are quite reasonable.

The idea that "oh, well, they aren't publishing addresses, just names and cities, so there's no way to track them down" is not only wrong, but you have to be completely fucking stupid to believe it.

Yet...the identities and vague locations given on the list, are all already public record. If that's all that's needed to enable a murderous vigilante, well....it's already done. They've already appeared in court records and in some cases, the mainstream news or online news.
So again, the whole problem with the list is what it looks like to some people, not the info contained. Are people just supposed to not talk about it, either?
You rarely hear of someone using a public records search to get a list of people to harm. But, we have seen where lists with a slant are used for such things. Abortion providers, the SPLC's list, etc. Again, as i have said before, although no one seems to read that part, IF the AVfM list were not so far-reaching in scope, IF the list removed people who were, oh, I don't know, DEAD, and IF the list was as careful about removing people who don't belong anymore, (Tonya Harding is now a threat to whom?), as it is about making sure to update the list to show the current location of TEH EVIL WIMMEN, AND the narratives weren't so blatantly biased, I'd have no real problems with it. But none of those conditions are met, and so based on actual evidence, while I do NOT think the intent of the list is to cause someone to go out and bring harm to anyone, I have yet to see a scintilla of evidence disproving the intimidation aspect of the list.
nippletwister wrote:So where is the line? How is AVFM or the SPLC responsible for what a whacko does with info that was already available and publically discussed? If somebody had gone after Lorena Bobbit, would NBC be responsible? If somebody believes right-wing propaganda and kills Obama, is Alex Jones responsible?
Honestly, I think minorly, unless the list is like the abortion doc lists, which pretty clearly call for harm to come to the docs. I'm really sure the SPLC didn't think anyone would use their list as a targeting mechanism, and they seemed really upset that it was. But when you have a list of "hate" sites, and groups that are "bad", it is reasonable to assume that at some point, someone is going to misuse that list, because even with good intentions, such a thing can be misused. Hell if the AVfM list only had NAMES, I'd not have any real problem with it. PeeZus's dungeon only has names, and most of those are fucking 'nyms. Now, if he started adding any sort of location info, then that list would go from "stupid" to "bad" in my view, for the same reason as I find the AVfM list "bad".

Given the bias in how the AVfM list is maintained, I find it difficult to be sanguine about the location information.
nippletwister wrote:again, it seems it's form and not content making the issue here, along with uncharitable assumptions about intent, for no other reason than it involves a controversial and politically active group. I wonder.....if a muslim group keeps or publishes lists of known anti-muslim agitators and legislators, how convoluted and riddled with double-standards will THAT discussion be? What if an anti-KKK group in the 1920's had found out the identities of criminal KKK members? Would black people be morally required to keep it a secret from each other? Even if the courts refused to prosecute? Even if social shame was the only weapon used?
is it just names, or names and locations? How much personal information does it provide? How are the names presented? How is the list maintained. If the list is essentially PeeZus' dipshit Dungeon, meh. It's stupid, and not a scintillating example of scientific debate, but i find it hard to view the Dungeon as much more than PeeZus pretending he has a large cock. Add in location information, overly biased narratives, and things change.
nippletwister wrote:Seems to me the only real standard is the one already enforced by law. Freedom of speech, civil penalties for slander or fraud, and individual responsibility for actions. Anything else muzzles victims, enables victimizers, and creates double standards all over the place.
We've established, via SCOTUS, that freedom of speech is not absolute. Deliberately yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre is the classic example of non-political restrictions on speech. If you have a list of people along with a lot of personal data and are specifically demanding that harm be brought to them, that is outside freedom of speech. Clear threats to harm people are not protected. You can't threaten the President, their family, Members of congress, etc. Even in the US, "Freedom of speech" is not the absolute thing we like to pretend it is.

Again, I don't think that the AVfM list is intended to cause someone to go a-killin'. But that does not mean it isn't an intimidation tool.

welch

Post by welch »

nippletwister wrote:
AnotherLurkerMkII wrote:
Submariner wrote:
welch wrote:
So then the next time someone here says really mean things about someone you dislike, like oh "Ophelia is a ragingly stupid cunt", you will of course consider that an act of violence against her via definition 3b, and of course, say something against it because violence is wrong, right?
I think actually being in the physical proximity (meatspace) is necessary to call it violence. Although not restricted to meatspace by definition, it hardly seems violent typing on a keyboard. Although, some would argue that one can type words of such offense and violence as to be actionable under hate speech laws.

My argument was this: If it's ok for the government to publish lists of "sex offenders" (which may include offenses unrelated to having sex with minors) and those government lists include actual street addresses and are not considered intimidation or calls for vigilantism, then why is it not ok for AVfM to post lists of people who have committed acts of misandry that does NOT include the actual street addresses, because it's intimidation and a call for vigilantism?
You are assuming that everyone is OK with sex offenders registers, which is a big stretch. But even so, government also has the rights to detain citizens, to print money, and to wage war for no good reason if the President wants to. I wouldn't trust AVfM or anyone else with any of those "rights".

I mean, isn't doxxing a big no-no among the atheistic internet circle, no matter if they are slymers or peezers? So why would it be OK to give AVfM a free pass doing that?
Why do people have such a hard time grasping the concept of "already public information", and have such waffling definitions of "doxxing"?
Using privileged info to out an anonymous person is doxxing. Giving out private info on a private person(addresses, phone numbers, workplaces, private appointments like clinic visits) is "doxxing". Talking about or listing public figures, the actions of public figures, or the public-record actions of private people, is not "doxxing". If anybody who wants the info can find it in seconds, it's not "doxxing".
It might look tasteless, but it's not espionage.
The AVfM list is not just names. It's also at least city-level locations, and when someone on that list is discovered to have moved, the list is updated to reflect that. So at least PART of someone's address is in fact on that list.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Zenspace wrote:I'll add one more puppeh to the collection: meet Puffin

Puffin.jpg
Awwww! Puffin is cute :)

welch

Post by welch »

nippletwister wrote:
welch wrote:
debaser71 wrote:
I get a letter in the mail inviting me to see the list anytime someone is added to it. I don't think they mail me the address though, they mail me to remind me that the name and address is available at the town hall. And on that....many sex offenders on that list have trouble finding real homes to live at (shocking right?) so they stay at motels and such. Motels a few blocks away from my house. Awesome...now all the homeless sex offenders shack up together a few minutes walk from my house. Who is the government protecting really?
Pretty much. That law was a reaction to a really horrible crime, and people demanded the government DO SOMETHING RIGHT NOW.

Awesome. We now have created a permanent homeless class of dangerous criminals (in the cases of actual pedophiles/sex offenders) and an oubliette for people who aren't anything like that at all, but visible genitalia was involved. Way to solve the problem.
Ok, as i get up to "Pit Time" I can see that a lot of people are bitching about a conversation they aren't even in. So to appease the whiny cunts this is the last thing I'll say about any lists for the time being.

And what I have to say is.....you make a damn good point here, Welch, I've often thought the same thing about offender lists. They don't seem to help anyone, ever. I still don't see any calls for vigilantism related to AVFM, but i guess that's more in the eye of the beholder, or in our expectations of others.

And I think you and others are a bit naive about how easy it may be to get off such a government list, and the level of "accountability' the government has, which is basically none at all. The American court system in general is very, very reluctant to exonerate people, even when all the evidence is against the court's judgement, and we are absolutely horrible about removing biased or corrupt judges and DA's.
But at least you can't call it vigilantism, I guess that's worth a hot mustard fart or something.

...and I'm done with the subject.
I agree that there are real problems with the SOF lists, including the ones you list. I never said it was "easy" to get off the list, but there are at least some form of procedures for doing so that are a bit more even-handed than "convince John and Paul to change their minds".

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Zenspace wrote:I'll add one more puppeh to the collection: meet Puffin

Puffin.jpg
Awwww! Puffin is cute :)
Puffin would be pleased. I'm more of a cat person myself (low maintenance and allows me more freedom for travel on short notice), but Puffin is pretty cool, definitely the coolest Pom I've ever met.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Git wrote:I must have missed memo that required me to refer to all women as "maginas" which the FTBorg quoted above is obviously referring to.
Well I looked at the comment again:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camelswith ... 2574[quote]
The pledge is a noble gesture on your part, Daniel. But that’s all it is, a gesture. Consider the denizens of the Slymepit. A woman or a “mangina” (their term) attempting to argue with them in a civil manner is an exercise in futility. I’ve seen Justin Vacula and Franc Hoggle in action. They see people being civil to them as weaklings, ready for the kill. I’ve seen Ophelia Benson ask to be left alone by the Slymepitters. That doesn’t happen.

It takes two people to be civil to each other. It only takes one person for the discussion to be uncivil.[/quote]

I think he is right about being civil.

However,

It looks to me like he is saying a woman or a mangina. Thus implying the party of the second part is a mangina and thus not another woman. That is my assumption anyway, based on the fact that I would be startled if anyone referred to a woman as a mangina.

Basically, he is a muddled mess, impossible to take seriously. His using Justin Vacula as an example pretty much killed his credibility, not to mention that Ulysses to the best of my knowledge, has never commented here.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

sammy 009-crop.JPG
Happy Birthday Sammy! :occasion-partyblower:

At the time I adopted my two little dogs, I still had my old Labrador retriever; I couldn't have managed to adopt a brother and sister together, if they'd been larger dogs. If push came to shove, I could take in another dog larger than my two Dameranians, but I'm actually trying to downscale a lot of things about my life, for various reasons. Two small dogs that are comical and good company are perfect for my situation right now.