Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
16bitheretic

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by 16bitheretic »

Submariner wrote:The STATED qualifiers from ZJ about not being a medical professional and all that are ok, but it looks like the undertone of what s/h/it is saying is : " You can get the hormones without seeing a doctor, so if you want to try it, go ahead."

Now, I'm not a doctor but I think it's irresponsible to start a regimen of opposite sex hormones "just to try it". If any doctors are in the house, I would of course defer to their knowledge.
I'm not a doctor, but Google informs me that if I were to seek out random testosterone injections without a valid medical prescription, just to see what it feels like on a whim, that this is actually illegal because testosterone is listed as a controlled substance in the United States (I'm assuming if we classify it that way the other first world nations will as well). So by encouraging women go out without the aid of a doctor and seeking testosterone is actually encouraging the violation of controlled substances laws. I also highly doubt that if I walk into a doctor and say "Hey, I want some testosterone injections" and for the reason of "I just want to try it you know", that most doctors would probably not go along with it.

Now it does seem that for you guys the laws are a bit more loose in regards to your access to estrogen. Although I question the sense of someone just randomly screwing with their hormones "just because". If someone is possibly feeling alienated in their prescribed gender expression, can't they maybe instead of tossing hormones into their system without proper medical guidance simply try orientating their appearance and habits more towards what they perceive as their proper gender and see how well that goes before they start tampering with their body chemistry? Just a thought.

As for the person who said this is the craziest thing to come out of FTB posts, I still think that guest post on Crommunist manifesto from the person advocating that it's discrimination and prejudice to require HIV and AIDs positive people to disclose their status to their sexual partners was far, far worse than this.

Apples

Post by Apples »

16bitheretic wrote:As for the person who said this is the craziest thing to come out of FTB posts, I still think that guest post on Crommunist manifesto from the person advocating that it's discrimination and prejudice to require HIV and AIDs positive people to disclose their status to their sexual partners was far, far worse than this.
http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/d1cf645fbe ... nticon&r=X
http://haifischgeweint.wordpress.com/about/

decius

Re: derp

Post by decius »

ERV wrote: Jesus Christ, that woman is a loser.
You're unlikely to see her manifestations of introspection getting any deeper than that. She was being publicly skeptical of her ways, you see.

Barael

Post by Barael »

I really fucking hate this "doubling down" meme. It, in almost all cases, simply means that if you don't capitulate to the accusations made against you, you're just making things worse: "confess, and this will all be over quicker". Fuck that shit. Fuck it to the ground. It is EXACTLY the mentality of the fucking INQUISITION, can't those fucking clowns see it? This is the shit that makes me loathe them instead of just laughing at them. It is really trying to simply chuckle at them rather than to outright hate them and the shittery they represent.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Thinking about graphs reminded me of this brilliant Simon Munnery "bit":

[youtube]Ga-LLG0HS0w[/youtube]

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Apples wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:As for the person who said this is the craziest thing to come out of FTB posts, I still think that guest post on Crommunist manifesto from the person advocating that it's discrimination and prejudice to require HIV and AIDs positive people to disclose their status to their sexual partners was far, far worse than this.
Reading that person's self description list I get the idea that this person is trying too hard to be a unique snowflake, which makes sense given the self description of being a postmodernist.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

16bitheretic wrote:
Apples wrote:
Reading that person's self description list I get the idea that this person is trying too hard to be a unique snowflake, which makes sense given the self description of being a postmodernist.
I wasn't familiar with haifisch. It does appear that he and his friends got chewed out for attempting to put on a live debate between feminists and MRAs though. That enthusiasm for dialogue is encouraging.

welch

Post by welch »

Barael wrote:I really fucking hate this "doubling down" meme. It, in almost all cases, simply means that if you don't capitulate to the accusations made against you, you're just making things worse: "confess, and this will all be over quicker". Fuck that shit. Fuck it to the ground. It is EXACTLY the mentality of the fucking INQUISITION, can't those fucking clowns see it? This is the shit that makes me loathe them instead of just laughing at them. It is really trying to simply chuckle at them rather than to outright hate them and the shittery they represent.

It only works at all if you try to have it both ways, that is, stay in their good graces AND stand by what you said. If you don't give a fuck about their opinions, and their WORST possible action, aka WE BAN JOOO is of no value whatsover, then the entire thing is powerless. "Yeah. I said that. I mean what I said and I said what I meant. Why am I not apologizing? Fuck you, that's why."

welch

Post by welch »

16bitheretic wrote:
Apples wrote:
I love this bit:
a fucking warrior
Honkie please, a one-armed toddler armed with a tiddlywink could kick your ass.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch.

26 Followers (it is starting to get a bit embarassing for poor Colon and Aratina!)

The Slyme Pit Block Bot Watch. Charting the phenomenal popularity of Oolon's Block Bot so you don't have to!!!

decius

Post by decius »

16bitheretic wrote: As for the person who said this is the craziest thing to come out of FTB posts, I still think that guest post on Crommunist manifesto from the person advocating that it's discrimination and prejudice to require HIV and AIDs positive people to disclose their status to their sexual partners was far, far worse than this.
The potential for damage is infinitely larger and therefore the suggestion far worse, as you say. But one can still discern a selfish rationale, which makes it somehow lucid if psychopathic.

Today's line still looks crazier to me, for it serves no discernible purpose other than sharing self-conceited butthurt built over shallow emotions generated by a side-effect of a hormonal unbalancement. And which straight "cis" person would even contemplate the possibility of gender-surfing?

Take a second to appreciate the multi-layered insanity of it all.

welch

Post by welch »

By the way halfass, you are not a warrior.

Malala Yousafzai is a fucking warrior

You are just an overpriviledged honkie pretending you've suffered so you can, incorrectly, have some pretense of importance.

windy

Post by windy »

Look at this poor guy, he had the flounce down in 2011 right after Elevatorgate and nobody noticed:

"Why I am no longer a skeptic"

Skepticism is filled with sexist bastards! Islamophobes! Neoliberals! He could DMCA FtB and A+.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Apples wrote: Of course "Bad Graph Thursday" is Rebecca's favorite thing she invented a month ago -- it's hilariously ironic to subvert the natural interpretation of such a feature at a skeptic site (showing how graphs can be used to distort science/news stories/whatever) .... so you just use a joke graph that you make up yourself .... and because it's a "bad graph" you don't have to put any work into it whatsoever! Which suits Rebecca just fine, as she is quite possibly the laziest and least intellectually ambitious person in the skeptical movement.
And I don't think we need to worry about Rebecca putting Edward Tufte out of business.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

AbsurdWalls wrote:I wasn't familiar with haifisch. It does appear that he and his friends got chewed out for attempting to put on a live debate between feminists and MRAs though. That enthusiasm for dialogue is encouraging.
Well, yeah, I agree that anyone willing to stage a challenge of opposing ideas is doing a good thing, granted of course that it;s done with serious intent at actual discussion and not in a sensationalist talk show shouting match fashion. If this haifisch person is capable of engaging people on the other side of their beliefs calmly then that's more than can be said of many of the other contributors to FTB.

it is surprising though to hear about a willing debate exchange coming from a self described postmodernist, since the self described postmodernists I've engaged with have been so far up their own ass with a solipsism about every possible thing that meaningful discourse tends to become pointless.

Barael

Post by Barael »

With that said, I'm having the Friday of my life (well, maybe slightly exaggarated but not by much). I fucking challenge anyone not to feel jubilant when you, after actually having to take days off work (due to barking/howling until 6am), finally get confirmation that the fuckhead downstairs has moved away. ddddd

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

16bitheretic wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:I wasn't familiar with haifisch. It does appear that he and his friends got chewed out for attempting to put on a live debate between feminists and MRAs though. That enthusiasm for dialogue is encouraging.
Well, yeah, I agree that anyone willing to stage a challenge of opposing ideas is doing a good thing, granted of course that it;s done with serious intent at actual discussion and not in a sensationalist talk show shouting match fashion. If this haifisch person is capable of engaging people on the other side of their beliefs calmly then that's more than can be said of many of the other contributors to FTB.

it is surprising though to hear about a willing debate exchange coming from a self described postmodernist, since the self described postmodernists I've engaged with have been so far up their own ass with a solipsism about every possible thing that meaningful discourse tends to become pointless.
I recognise postmodernism as an idea (I studied it a little bit), but I don't understand how somebody could claim to be a postmodernist. I mean, you could enjoy postmodernism and create art or whatever in that style I guess. I don't know. My understanding of the postmodern is that it is like an orbiting satellite. You make the continual motion towards the postmodern but you can't actually get there because it relies on keeping one foot in the "modern" world. Or at least, if you could get there you wouldn't want to because it would be apocalyptic for humanity.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Reap wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Reap wrote:So then who is the Jew-pitter?
SN?
I have never believed in any gods, right from the time they tried to explain the jewish version to me. I immediately asked, well, if god made everything, then who made god? Still haven't gotten a straight answer to that one.

Even at this late date though, my father would still be pleased as kosher pig shit for me to start seeing a nice jewish boy and maybe pop out a kid before all my eggs dry up. Ain't gonna happen. No jewish-raised (or other types of) grandkiddies from me. I've got a couple of brothers passing along the family genes, and that's good enough for me.

If there is anything similar to excommunication but for jews, I've probably already gotten it. I'm proud to say that I gave all my rabbis nothing but trouble, both in being a brat as well as in asking very uncomfortable questions. Like being 6 or 7 and asking how Cain and Abel had kids, since the only woman created so far was their mother!!! (I knew the basics of reproduction at that age). Or how come god said it's good to kill ____ even though thou shalt not murder? How come you thank god in that prayer for making you a man? Is something wrong with being female? I also made a point of touching the oh so fucking holy torah (which only males are allowed to touch for good luck).

But racially, I'm so fucking pure jewish I'm nearly inbred. Almost 100% Ashkenazi jew. The 'almost' part is a tiny bit from somewhere back to around 500 years ago, when one of my ancestors was not quite in the jewish club. They were either Asian or Native American.

Hey, Melody is a member there too (same one - same pic). Does anyone think I should send an invitation to share genetic info? Heheh.
The cool thing about the Jewish religion is you don't hear about them shunning family members who are atheists as much as christians. They just kinda say "Yea yea you're an atheist. You were born a Jew and you die a Jew so have a nice time being an atheist...Jew." Not a single ex-jew I've talked to has been disowned by their family.
I came close to it. My father, who I'd never heard raise his voice ever (whine and nag but no shouting), totally freaked out when I said once on the phone about Israel, "yeah, but weren't the Palestinians living there first?" I've never heard such a torrent of outrage as the day I said that.
:lol:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Lapsang Souchong wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Even at this late date though, my father would still be pleased as kosher pig shit for me to start seeing a nice jewish boy and maybe pop out a kid before all my eggs dry up. Ain't gonna happen. No jewish-raised (or other types of) grandkiddies from me. I've got a couple of brothers passing along the family genes, and that's good enough for me.
Good thing your parents weren't like these.

[youtube]UaNRSZ-Ga-w[/youtube]
That was hilarious! Mind you, all my long gone childhood nervous tics have returned. Oy vey.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

windy wrote:Look at this poor guy, he had the flounce down in 2011 right after Elevatorgate and nobody noticed:

Skepticism is filled with sexist bastards! Islamophobes! Neoliberals! He could DMCA FtB and A+.
"How he is no longer a skeptic" might be a better title to the piece.
A summary of his rant might go PZ Myers good/Dawkins bad, criticism of islam is racism, criticism of radfem dogma is misogyny.
If you buy into the FC(n) koolaid like this guy you shouldn't call yourself a skeptic.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Submariner wrote:Zinnia, next paragraph:
I must point out that I’m in no position to give medical advice, and nobody should start taking any kind of medication like this without the appropriate supervision and a full awareness of its possible risks. That being said, it would be surprisingly easy for cis guys to obtain HRT for trans women without once seeing a doctor. While testosterone is a controlled substance, limiting the options for trans men or curious cis women, estrogen and anti-androgens are not. They’re not over-the-counter, but they can be purchased from overseas at a rather low cost. There are even places where you can order the necessary blood tests to ensure that it’s safe for you.
You know, I quite like tits.
In fact, I love tits!
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm10 ... h_tits.gif

That said, I don't really want to grow my own.
You should talk to Ed Brayton first. He's managed it, apparently without the use of hormones.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

windy wrote:Look at this poor guy, he had the flounce down in 2011 right after Elevatorgate and nobody noticed:

Damn. I'm sure his influence is greatly missed. What a loss. What a shame.

:roll:

What a smug, self-righteous twatwaffle.

welch

Post by welch »

So, because I'm a bit of a masochist: http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... important/

I've been saying it in dribs and drabs for a while now. This way, when it comes up, I point at URL and move the fuck on.

welch

Post by welch »

nippletwister wrote:

Damn. I'm sure his influence is greatly missed. What a loss. What a shame.

:roll:

What a smug, self-righteous twatwaffle.
How to say "twatwaffle" in sign language:

[youtube]v=B2DgfuIrtIY[/youtube]

Other videos in the series:

"Will you toss my salad?"
"Hey! You're an asshole!"
"Your Xmas sweater is fugly"
"I want a birthday blowjob"
"Bite my shiny metal ass"

Boy, this could lead to some fun the next time one of the skepchicks or FTB lot is speaking.

welch

Post by welch »

bah:

[youtube]B2DgfuIrtIY[/youtube]

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

welch wrote:bah:

You know, it goes beyond Rule 34 and porn....sooner or later, the sum total of all possible communicable human ideas will be on the internet. I predict that between advanced sex toys, virtual reality modules, nanobots, and 3-d printers, the first case of electronic-to-human E-Herp infection should be along in a decade or two.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

nippletwister wrote:You know, it goes beyond Rule 34 and porn....sooner or later, the sum total of all possible communicable human ideas will be on the internet. I predict that between advanced sex toys, virtual reality modules, nanobots, and 3-d printers, the first case of electronic-to-human E-Herp infection should be along in a decade or two.
Haha. Did someone mention post-modernism?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Ok - enough interest has been put out there. So, I'm getting things going for a atheist/skeptic blog community. I grabbed http://atheismskepticism.com/ and will be working on a multiple blog CMS setup on my server this weekend (the domain doesn't point properly yet and does nothing at this point, FYI). Thanks for the feedback all! As soon as it's up and ready to go, I'll let you all know.
Thanks Renee.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

masakari2012 wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Submariner wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Not joining the navy has always been one of my big regrets.
In all seriousness gays were drummed out of the Navy if it was determined by 1) confession or 2) being caught in a homosexual act.

We had one Machinist's Mate get discharged for telling the corpsman that he was gay (or QUILTBAG I'm not sure). Too bad, he was the better ship's barber.
One of my exes was in the navy for several years back in the 80's. He kept on the DL and never had any relations-at least not with other sailors or marines during his service. He still regards it as a great experience.
It parallels my Peace Corps experience. I didn't get laid much(especially compared to straight volunteers who got laid ALL THE TIME), but I still loved it.
On one of my cruises, 2 guys who worked in engineering were caught "swordfighting" in the same rack. They got discharged.
Did they get a discharge?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Jack wrote:
masakari2012 wrote:
On one of my cruises, 2 guys who worked in engineering were caught "swordfighting" in the same rack. They got discharged.
Did they get a discharge?
I see what you did there.

Apples

Post by Apples »

welch wrote:So, because I'm a bit of a masochist: http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... important/

I've been saying it in dribs and drabs for a while now. This way, when it comes up, I point at URL and move the fuck on.
welch wrote:I’m sorry for those who don’t get this, (and for those who dismiss it even after it’s explained, i’m not sorry, they can fuck off), but “rapist” is a word with a lot of meaning to men. Contrary to SJW popular belief, guys get a lot of information on this issue growing up. In general, murderers are a higher social strata than rapists. I think you have to actually kill children to be thought of worse than a rapist among men. Guys hear the message about rape being, literally, one of, if not the worst things you can do all the time. I heard it regularly growing up, and I grew up in the 70s and 80s, not the most enlightened period. I am not even vaguely alone.

When you call someone even a potential rapist, do not sit there and expect me to believe you are shocked, shocked I tell you that anyone would take such offense to this. In fact, if you honestly think that you can tell a guy, to his face, that he should not only accept that he is always thought of as a rapist, but that he should somehow thank you for saying that, you yourself are in fact, an asshole.
This is the bit that resonates for me. As a corollary, the idea that, at least in 'Merkin (western Eurpeen) culture, there is any general "celebration" or "affirmation" of rape," is just fucking wrong and offensive. AFAIK, in prisons, child-molesters are the lowest of the low and prime candidates for a shivving, and rapists are similarly reviled. The notion that men (even felons) are generally tolerant and approving of other men who force people into sex or depredate the defenseless is totally crazy.

franc

Post by franc »

Tigzy wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:It is highly hypocritical of Ophelia to keep complaining about bad smells, when she stinks of wet dog.
:lol: How do you know? Have you ever sniffed her?

I reckon Pruney smells of lavender and dust.
And full to the brim Depends.

http://i.imgur.com/vVn5F.png

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Submariner wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Soooo. A setup where there are guest bloggers rather than a network of separate bloggers?
I could be a regular blogger. I'd just blog about as often as Christina Rad does on FfTB...
Well, Id be able to do one a week easily, maybe more. But whatever is decided is fine by me. It can always be adjusted as patterns emerge and the need arises.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Apples wrote:
welch wrote:So, because I'm a bit of a masochist: http://dissentionisnothate.wordpress.co ... important/

welch wrote:I’m sorry for those who don’t get this, (and for those who dismiss it even after it’s explained, i’m not sorry, they can fuck off), but “rapist” is a word with a lot of meaning to men. Contrary to SJW popular belief, guys get a lot of information on this issue growing up. In general, murderers are a higher social strata than rapists. I think you have to actually kill children to be thought of worse than a rapist among men. Guys hear the message about rape being, literally, one of, if not the worst things you can do all the time. I heard it regularly growing up, and I grew up in the 70s and 80s, not the most enlightened period. I am not even vaguely alone.

When you call someone even a potential rapist, do not sit there and expect me to believe you are shocked, shocked I tell you that anyone would take such offense to this. In fact, if you honestly think that you can tell a guy, to his face, that he should not only accept that he is always thought of as a rapist, but that he should somehow thank you for saying that, you yourself are in fact, an asshole.
This is the bit that resonates for me. As a corollary, the idea that, at least in 'Merkin (western Eurpeen) culture, there is any general "celebration" or "affirmation" of rape," is just fucking wrong and offensive. AFAIK, in prisons, child-molesters are the lowest of the low and prime candidates for a shivving, and rapists are similarly reviled. The notion that men (even felons) are generally tolerant and approving of other men who force people into sex or depredate the defenseless is totally crazy.
Yeah, going on and on about rapists really doesn't help anyone. Most people don't want to be rapists, and most rapists don't want to be caught, so there isn't a whole lot of added value in chastising rapists any more than they already are.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

I wonder if Paul W (the guy that got chased out of Pharyngula by the PPP-pharyngula pirhana pack) ever lurks here?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

In case you missed it :

[youtube]jMWM1SXOGps[/youtube]

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

free thoughtpolice wrote:I wonder if Paul W (the guy that got chased out of Pharyngula by the PPP-pharyngula pirhana pack) ever lurks here?
It's interesting to me how the same ideas that cause racism and other sorts of bigotry are clearly on display at FtB. When you show up, if you don't present with the "right" kind of attitude, beliefs, sayings, etc., you are immediately outcast and attacked due to any real or imagined differences. This is so obviously the case that it is quite frustrating to see people claim to be liberal and for social justice and engage in the exact same tactics that cause us to want social justice in the first place.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Apples wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Soooo. A setup where there are guest bloggers rather than a network of separate bloggers?
Good idea.
So some setup like the "skepchicks" site? Or some of the political sites?

Slymechicks?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Apples wrote:Rebecca, a day late and a dollar short, as usual.
Twatson wrote:In my defense, I had a pretty shit day yesterday. The kind of day that was so shit, it could not be made happier by writing a new Bad Chart Thursday, which has quickly become one of my favorite features on Skepchick. No, it was the kind of day that could only be made better by playing hours and hours of FTL. Yes, I know I’ve already beaten it on the hardest setting (the innocent-sounding “Normal”), but I have yet to unlock the Crystal Ship, the final ship that has yet to be unlocked. So, I must continue playing it until I get it, real life be damned.

When I woke up with an FTL hangover today, I realized first that I had missed Bad Chart Thursday and second that I had spent the bulk of my Thursday on a game that cost me $5, while two games that cost me $40 have been virtually untouched for a month despite the fact that I believe I am moments from beating them (Borderlands 2 and Dishonored). This convinced me that there must be an inverse relationship between the amount of money I pay for a game and how long I spend playing it. Of course, as a skeptic I couldn’t be sure until I made a chart.
http://skepchick.org/2013/02/bad-chart- ... y-edition/
http://www.freezepage.com/1361568795LVGMNCLQJH
It's pretty bad on the SGU (well, when I last listened to it, months ago) when Watson tried to pretend she was a geek - she has zero cred, compared to the brothers, who are real geeks (or nerds, I don't care for whatever difference people want to make). They know the movies, games, memes, etc. Watson is a wannabe.

Now she wants to pretend to be a gamer too? Blech.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

welch wrote:bah:

Ok so apparently my kids have not been saying 'like a diamond in the sky' when they do the gestures for twinkle twinkle little star, but 'like a pussy in the sky.' HAHAHAHA now I'm gunna get banned from songtime again.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

ophelia smells of rose water and knicker elastic.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

bhoytony wrote:Today I managed to overcome my Chris Mooney gag-reflex in order to listen to Steven Pinker on the Point of Interest podcast. You had all better get ready because Ophelia is going to go apeshit, she's probably writing an angry blog ripping into Pinker right now.
He was discussing violence and said that there wasn't much difference between the sexes when it came to something like a head of state waging war in the defence of their country's best interests. He then said:

"Fights over a parking space, road rage, fights over a pool table, fights over national honour where nothing is at stake except national honour, campaigns of bloodthirsty conquest and insane wars of aggression, it looks like that's more of a guy thing."

After seeing how she went tonto on Shermer I'm pretty sure she's now going to do her dinger with Pinker and demand that he admits that women are violent, bloodthirsty arseholes just like men. Let me know when she posts her blog about this.
Nice catch.

But good to see that Pinker raises that flag [@ 23:50] in support of Shermer. Considering that many in the rad-fem-sisterhood got their panties in a twist over Harriet Hall’s “I’m not a skepchick” T-shirt – likely to be a hot seller at the next TAM – one can expect similar histrionics over Pinker’s comments.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

So I'm really, really annoyed at the website The Raw Story for publishing this crap from Amanda Marcotte:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/22/d ... Cc.twitter

Wherein she accuses Dr. Hall of trying to denigrate women's roles in skepticism as an attempt to garner attention as a "token". You know what Marcotte: FUCK YOU. You refer to any woman who disagrees with yours or your allies' shameful tactics of doxxing, lying about people and bullying while claiming the mantle of victimhood as "gender traitors", "chill girls" and now "tokens"? Again: FUCK YOU.

You DO NOT represent us, stop trying to pretend like you give a shit about any woman other than yourself. The fact that you would use derogatory terms towards other women in the skeptic scene while trying to pretend you act on behalf of all women interested and involved in skepticism is nothing but your own ego-trip messiah complex kicking in.

Oh, and if I didn't make it clear already: FUCK YOU.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Surprise, the Harlem Shake is the next "bad thing" on the A+ forums: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4026

Some gems:
Grimalkin wrote:TL;DR: White people appropriate black culture, PoC are righly disgusted.
ceepolk wrote:what the hell

dare I ask what the hell white people are doing in these videos to get that kind of reaction

no wait don't tell me, I wanna stay ignorant
Xanthe wrote:Yes, this is not just a cute bit of cultural appropriation, it needs to be stamped on. Moves like the Harlem shake or Harlem shuffle were already in Hip Hop music; flailing about randomly is not how you do it.
Sylvia Sybil wrote:Naming it after an established dance that belongs to POC just seems like deliberate mockery to me.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

16bitheretic wrote:So I'm really, really annoyed at the website The Raw Story for publishing this crap from Amanda Marcotte:

Wherein she accuses Dr. Hall of trying to denigrate women's roles in skepticism as an attempt to garner attention as a "token". You know what Marcotte: FUCK YOU. You refer to any woman who disagrees with yours or your allies' shameful tactics of doxxing, lying about people and bullying while claiming the mantle of victimhood as "gender traitors", "chill girls" and now "tokens"? Again: FUCK YOU.

You DO NOT represent us, stop trying to pretend like you give a shit about any woman other than yourself. The fact that you would use derogatory terms towards other women in the skeptic scene while trying to pretend you act on behalf of all women interested and involved in skepticism is nothing but your own ego-trip messiah complex kicking in.

[youtube]wJYSu2OVCGM[/youtube]

Lurkion

Re: derp

Post by Lurkion »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Twatson wrote:In my defense, I had a pretty shit day yesterday. The kind of day that was so shit, it could not be made happier by writing a new Bad Chart Thursday, which has quickly become one of my favorite features on Skepchick. No, it was the kind of day that could only be made better by playing hours and hours of FTL. Yes, I know I’ve already beaten it on the hardest setting (the innocent-sounding “Normal”), but I have yet to unlock the Crystal Ship, the final ship that has yet to be unlocked. So, I must continue playing it until I get it, real life be damned.

When I woke up with an FTL hangover today, I realized first that I had missed Bad Chart Thursday and second that I had spent the bulk of my Thursday on a game that cost me $5, while two games that cost me $40 have been virtually untouched for a month despite the fact that I believe I am moments from beating them (Borderlands 2 and Dishonored). This convinced me that there must be an inverse relationship between the amount of money I pay for a game and how long I spend playing it. Of course, as a skeptic I couldn’t be sure until I made a chart.
I've never read skepchick, so that feature was news to me.
The horizontal axis is amount spent on the game and the vertical axis is hours spent on the game
I wonder whether she knows that there's a way of making graphs that means you don't need to SAY that.

I have a bit of an OCD issue regarding graphs so I am actually a bit tempted to make a nice version of that one with labelled axes and pictures of the box art for each game replacing the data points.

I have emailed journalists before with "good" versions of shitty graphs they have put in their online posts and a suggestion they might want to use them as a replacement. It might be a problem that I have.
OI. Leave her alone! It's bad chart Thursday! So she makes a bad chart.

And, fuck, that chart is bad. Don't ever call Skepchick false advertisers! (Except for the whole "Skep" part, but what do you do when someone's already trademarked something inaccurate?)

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

16bitheretic wrote:So I'm really, really annoyed at the website The Raw Story for publishing this crap from Amanda Marcotte:

I'm sick of these fucking fucks scaring away young (or old) women from the community by suggesting it's a pit (lol) of misogyny.

FUCKING FUCKS. Stop ruining the community. People made a community because we think it can do good things, including the promotion of reason and science, but you fucking fucks just come in and shit on it with your gender feminism nonsense.

Fuck.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Ophelia smells of wet clothes and dirty cat litter.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

[youtube]wJYSu2OVCGM[/youtube]
"Stop asserting your manhood!" Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha
:clap:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Metalogic42 wrote:Surprise, the Harlem Shake is the next "bad thing" on the A+ forums: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4026
ceepolk wrote:what the hell

dare I ask what the hell white people are doing in these videos to get that kind of reaction

no wait don't tell me, I wanna stay ignorant
http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/ceepig.jpg
For you ceepolk, staying ignorant will be no problem.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

jimthepleb wrote:[youtube]wJYSu2OVCGM[/youtube]
"Stop asserting your manhood!" Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha
:clap:

Notice the sign?

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Badger3k wrote:

It's pretty bad on the SGU (well, when I last listened to it, months ago) when Watson tried to pretend she was a geek - she has zero cred, compared to the brothers, who are real geeks (or nerds, I don't care for whatever difference people want to make). They know the movies, games, memes, etc. Watson is a wannabe.

Now she wants to pretend to be a gamer too? Blech.
Actually, what I find kinda funny is that she's almost finished Borderlands 2, but hasn't really said much about it, considering that there have been some SJW groups up in arms about it about various characterizations of it. (Tiny Tina and Elle, for those who have played the game) Truth be told, I'm not really surprised...I've said it before and I'll say it again that Watson is a bit of a poser when it comes to SJW-dom. She does it for the trolly lulz, more or less, but generally speaking she's a tourist.

But, I don't think it's fair to say that she's "pretending" to be a gamer. Sounds like she just has different tastes, that's all. My wife is a gamer, she just prefers her Loot-based games and open-world violence simulators over typical FPS or RTS games (although she's getting into League of Legends).

But yeah. Someone who is that obsessed with FTL is more certainly a gamer. It's not fair to say otherwise.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

rocko2466 wrote:[

I'm sick of these fucking fucks scaring away young (or old) women from the community by suggesting it's a pit (lol) of misogyny.

FUCKING FUCKS. Stop ruining the community. People made a community because we think it can do good things, including the promotion of reason and science, but you fucking fucks just come in and shit on it with your gender feminism nonsense.

Fuck.
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm right in the target demographic you mention: millenial female skeptic/atheist, and I have ZERO interest in aligning with people who hide behind victimhood while slandering, witch-hunting and bullying other people. I can't imagine I'm the only one of my peers who feels this way.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

rocko2466 wrote:

Fuck.
As an old long-term reader of Marcotte, when it comes to good, old-fashioned bigotry, she's second to none. There's never been a box too small to put entire classifications of people into for her tastes.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

16bitheretic wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:[

Fuck.
Well, if it's any consolation, I'm right in the target demographic you mention: millenial female skeptic/atheist, and I have ZERO interest in aligning with people who hide behind victimhood while slandering, witch-hunting and bullying other people. I can't imagine I'm the only one of my peers who feels this way.
They have destroyed the community i had great fondness for and for that I will never forgive them, this (as i have said before) is hypoagency in action and it incredibly destructive. As a leftie Brit and an active pro-European I have see this shit happen time and time again, finally i'm off my arse and doing something about it. If tweeting, writing and bitching count as doing something. IRL i also have this battle constantly in the education system as i watch my boys (and to a lesser extent my girl) being battered with this utter bollocks as part of their 'education'
That and 70hrs a week of tit fondling are frankly becoming exhausting.

aqi

Post by aqi »

Steersman wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Today I managed to overcome my Chris Mooney gag-reflex in order to listen to Steven Pinker on the Point of Interest podcast. You had all better get ready because Ophelia is going to go apeshit, she's probably writing an angry blog ripping into Pinker right now.
He was discussing violence and said that there wasn't much difference between the sexes when it came to something like a head of state waging war in the defence of their country's best interests. He then said:

"Fights over a parking space, road rage, fights over a pool table, fights over national honour where nothing is at stake except national honour, campaigns of bloodthirsty conquest and insane wars of aggression, it looks like that's more of a guy thing."

After seeing how she went tonto on Shermer I'm pretty sure she's now going to do her dinger with Pinker and demand that he admits that women are violent, bloodthirsty arseholes just like men. Let me know when she posts her blog about this.
Considering Rebecca Watson boasted that she was in Boston working for the Point of Interest podcast as their Live Twatter )what?) and her well-connected CFI boyfriend (see a trend?) was doing the filming of the event, she would have been front and centre to get schooled about it.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

from Marcotte's hit piece (emphasis mine):
Obviously, it’s a disingenuous argument, because she is, by heavily and repeatedly and rather aggressively criticizing them, trying to stop them from having a conference addressing women in secularism. She is objecting to it. She explains her reasons why: She thinks it’s divisive and balkanizing, which is only the case, I’ll point out, if people who prefer the status quo of male dominance throw a fit. (As demonstrated in the liberal blogosphere, when everyone is on board with the “more women” goal, it tends to create more harmony and more friendships.)
???

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Staks Rosch was witch of the weeked by Greta and Rebecca for using 'token language.' We shall now wait for Marcotte to be rebuked by her fellow feminists...

*crickets*

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Witch ... _1.2C_2012

codelette

Post by codelette »

Marcotte wrote another pile of turd?
So, what else is new?
Talking about some of her most idiotic writings, I was trying to find one in which she was discussing her non-abortion for her non-pregnancy (found excerpts, but not the whole thing). She was trying to get an ex boytoy to pay for it. You go, girl!
Really, a big dramatic entry for the time she had to plan an abortion even before confirming if she was even pregnant.

I believe the whole point was another megadramatic rant about how sonograms imposed on women requesting abortions were some sort of mental punishment. If one gets all traumatized from looking at a sonogram of a tadpole, one should skip the whole vacuuming of the womb.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »