Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Old subthreads
Gefan

Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by Gefan »

BarnOwl wrote:It's not just the American A/S conference circuit that has been infiltrated - the bullshit is crossing the Pond. From Ophelia's blog (also on PZ's):
Another upcoming event, this time in Dublin. Atheist Ireland is doing a conference called Empowering Women Through Secularism the weekend of 29-30 June 2013. I will be there.
Everybody should go to this! It will be fantastic.

Speakers will include
Ivana Bacik, Irish Senator and member of Atheist Ireland
Dan Barker, Freedom From Religion Foundation, USA
Ophelia Benson, author and commentator, USA
Ann Brusseel, Member of Flemish Parliament, Belgium
Mairin de Burca, writer and secularist, Ireland
Jane Donnelly, Education Policy Officer Atheist Ireland
Annie Laurie Gaylor, Freedom From Religion Foundation, USA
Anthea McTiernan, Editor Irish Times Ticket Magazine
PZ Myers, science professor and blogger, USA
Maryam Namazie, Council of Ex-Muslims in Britain
Taslima Nasrin, novelist and activist, Bangladesh and India
Michael Nugent, Chairperson Atheist Ireland
Nina Sankari, Polish Rationalist Association
Farhana Shakir, lawyer and legal consultant, Pakistan
Kate Smurthwaite, comedian and activist, Britain
Anne Marie Waters, One Law for All Campaign, Britain
Rebecca Watson, Skepchick network, USA
Fantastic, I tell you.
So Ophelia and Rebecca - who do what, exactly, for a living - will receive all-expense-paid trips to Ireland, to talk about what, exactly? Internetz drama? Parody twitter accounts? Hair dye? Pity-driven Paypal Accounts for Fun and Profit? The Lazy Blogger's Guide to Copypasta?

Wouldn't it make more sense to invite someone like Abbie, to talk about developing a real career in a STEM field, and about applying skepticism and scientific knowledge to expose fabricated XMRV data that were published in a high-impact journal?
For anyone getting jealous about free trips to Ireland, I have a helpful suggestion.
Paint your bathroom green.
Turn the shower on cold.
Now, go stand under it, fully clothed, and start chewing on a raw potato.
The effect should be remarkably similar (plus it avoids jet-lag and elevators).

On a different topic entirely, just dropped another donation to the Operation Smile drive. It'd been stalled for quite a bit. Only 25% to cover on the way to the target, guys and gender-traitors!

Badger3k

Re: Bunkspubble!

Post by Badger3k »

PZs crowing about his coup of being on that conference. He also pushes his "mangina" comments, saying there are three men on the list who will get them. I don't see anyone saying anything like that, but if he wants to include Dan Barker in that, he really is being a git. PZs an asshole, and Nugent sounds like a dick (I vaguely recall the name, but nothing else), but why the hell would Dan be included - he's been nothing but good, unlike the radicals. Dicks like Pizzle have no right to try to include him in their cloud of toxic stench.

Post by Guest »

decius wrote:Welch, check your privilegePMs.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Badger3k wrote:PZs crowing about his coup of being on that conference. He also pushes his "mangina" comments, saying there are three men on the list who will get them. I don't see anyone saying anything like that, but if he wants to include Dan Barker in that, he really is being a git. PZs an asshole, and Nugent sounds like a dick (I vaguely recall the name, but nothing else), but why the hell would Dan be included - he's been nothing but good, unlike the radicals. Dicks like Pizzle have no right to try to include him in their cloud of toxic stench.
I think he's implying that we (members of the 'Pit) will call them "manginas." Even though the word "mangina" has rarely ever been used here to describe anyone seriously - oh well, one more for the road.

By the way, Badger, you should update your sig, here: http://old.richarddawkins.net/comments/428561

the other link goes to a 404.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

16bitheretic wrote:I'd be curious to see if there's been any FTB backchannel pressure put on Aron after Watson, Elevatorgate and PZ Myers have become topics during the last 2 episodes of the Magic Sandwich Show, and during Aron's absence all 3 of the other regulars, DPRJones, C0nc0rdance and Thunderf00t, have really not held back in calling out the bullshit in the creepy clowns circle.
But, but, but, but, PZ and company allow dissent. Right?

:lol:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Badger - Better one: http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/ ... ent_428561 (though the url may be too long)

DW Adams

Re: Reapercussions

Post by DW Adams »

Reap wrote:Shameless plug for the new blog
http://reapsowradio.com/graphics/smallr ... sions2.png
And thanks to AtheistsToday for hosting me and putting up with any future BS as a result of it, which is a certainty if the past is any indication.
Now go subscribe..please and thank you
And who 1st suggested the name? (i'm lazy )

Future BS would make things interesting if nothing else. Don't let that bother you.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Anne Robinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by Lsuoma »

Topic split. Anne Robinson is no longer haunting me.

comslave

Post by comslave »

Gefan wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:It's not just the American A/S conference circuit that has been infiltrated - the bullshit is crossing the Pond. From Ophelia's blog (also on PZ's):
Another upcoming event, this time in Dublin. Atheist Ireland is doing a conference called Empowering Women Through Secularism the weekend of 29-30 June 2013. I will be there.
Everybody should go to this! It will be fantastic.

Speakers will include
Ivana Bacik, Irish Senator and member of Atheist Ireland
Dan Barker, Freedom From Religion Foundation, USA
Ophelia Benson, author and commentator, USA
Ann Brusseel, Member of Flemish Parliament, Belgium
Mairin de Burca, writer and secularist, Ireland
Jane Donnelly, Education Policy Officer Atheist Ireland
Annie Laurie Gaylor, Freedom From Religion Foundation, USA
Anthea McTiernan, Editor Irish Times Ticket Magazine
PZ Myers, science professor and blogger, USA
Maryam Namazie, Council of Ex-Muslims in Britain
Taslima Nasrin, novelist and activist, Bangladesh and India
Michael Nugent, Chairperson Atheist Ireland
Nina Sankari, Polish Rationalist Association
Farhana Shakir, lawyer and legal consultant, Pakistan
Kate Smurthwaite, comedian and activist, Britain
Anne Marie Waters, One Law for All Campaign, Britain
Rebecca Watson, Skepchick network, USA
Fantastic, I tell you.
So Ophelia and Rebecca - who do what, exactly, for a living - will receive all-expense-paid trips to Ireland, to talk about what, exactly? Internetz drama? Parody twitter accounts? Hair dye? Pity-driven Paypal Accounts for Fun and Profit? The Lazy Blogger's Guide to Copypasta?

Wouldn't it make more sense to invite someone like Abbie, to talk about developing a real career in a STEM field, and about applying skepticism and scientific knowledge to expose fabricated XMRV data that were published in a high-impact journal?
For anyone getting jealous about free trips to Ireland, I have a helpful suggestion.
Paint your bathroom green.
Turn the shower on cold.
Now, go stand under it, fully clothed, and start chewing on a raw potato.
The effect should be remarkably similar (plus it avoids jet-lag and elevators).

On a different topic entirely, just dropped another donation to the Operation Smile drive. It'd been stalled for quite a bit. Only 25% to cover on the way to the target, guys and gender-traitors!

There's not one name on that list I would pay to see.

AnotherLurkerMKII

Post by AnotherLurkerMKII »

I like Aron Ra, but since he went to FfTB, he seems to have gone quiet. Naturally, part of this is down to the fact that I avoid ALL of FTB because the Creepy Clowns. Makes you wonder how many visitors the saner parts of FTB have lost because of the Creepy Clowns.

PS - I wonder if any pressure is put on Aron Ra to distance himself from Thunderfoot.
I recall reading some comments from Aron Ra on Tf00t`s blog asking Tf00t to not drag him into the shitstorm, because he was friends with both the Peezers and Tf00t. Seems reasonable enough - specially if his wife took part on the Peezers' side and if he didn't want to shit all over a friend.

Then again, I never cared too much about Aron Ra, even when I still listened to the Atheist Experience, so I never felt compelled to watch his "standalone" videos - but I think he is trying to not have the schism affect his activism, which is kinda cool.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lsuoma wrote:Topic split. Anne Robinson is no longer haunting me.
Her photo might not be, but her name is now up at the top of the page - and will be at the top of the majority of posts in this thread...

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Pitchguest wrote:Badger - Better one: http://old.richarddawkins.net/articles/ ... ent_428561 (though the url may be too long)
Thanks - I thought I did fix it before, but maybe not, or else it changed again. Should be good now.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

comslave wrote: There's not one name on that list I would pay to see.
I'd just listen to Annie Laurie and Dan. I like the radio show they do, even if I'm a bit behind on it. Have no idea who most of the others, except for the FC(n) people.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

AnotherLurkerMKII wrote:
I like Aron Ra, but since he went to FfTB, he seems to have gone quiet. Naturally, part of this is down to the fact that I avoid ALL of FTB because the Creepy Clowns. Makes you wonder how many visitors the saner parts of FTB have lost because of the Creepy Clowns.

PS - I wonder if any pressure is put on Aron Ra to distance himself from Thunderfoot.
I recall reading some comments from Aron Ra on Tf00t`s blog asking Tf00t to not drag him into the shitstorm, because he was friends with both the Peezers and Tf00t. Seems reasonable enough - specially if his wife took part on the Peezers' side and if he didn't want to shit all over a friend.

Then again, I never cared too much about Aron Ra, even when I still listened to the Atheist Experience, so I never felt compelled to watch his "standalone" videos - but I think he is trying to not have the schism affect his activism, which is kinda cool.
The way that I see it is that Aaron Ra relies one rather feeble show-biz "schtick".
A vaudeville act. A cheap gimmick.
(Mind you, a lot of one-dimensional vaudeville acts made bloody good money from robotically and endlessly repeating their gimmick to the paying punters in that manner.)
His schtick seems to be: Act as an apparently big tough Harley ridin' bikie misfit to a room of atheist nerds, Xtians, scientists and creationist dweebs.
He has carved a comfortable niche by shooting fish in a barrel.
The fish in question have swum all by themselves into both barrels of his 12 bore shotgun.
Aaron need not even be particularly conscious to pull the triggers, and blast his opponents to smithereens.

I mean, it is not like it is especially mentally taxing to point out the flaws in 'creation science', for fux sake.
A competent secular 8 year old could do it in their sleep.

His schtick? The one that distinguishes him from the other fucking lazy creationist-cretin slaughterers?
Riding a Harley and pretending to be a "mean-bottomed hornery critter".

That's it.
That is the only substantive difference between his act and PZ's dino-ridin' antics.

A Harley Davidson, versus Discovery Institute Dino-ride.

That is it. The sole difference. Yet multitudinous dweebs seem to lionise him and excuse his many flaws because he "acts" all tough.
Well, fuck that for a game of soldiers.
http://www.michaelgray.com.au/AR.jpg
I need Feminism, because my missus hates it when I'm horny.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Looking at it again, its actually a much better line-up than Melody Hensley's conference. I'd probably pay to see Maryam, and the woman from the One Law For All campaign if they were speaking in the area. Not 100 euros though.
Topic split. Anne Robinson is no longer haunting me.
You're just begging for it to be posted again.

cunt

Post by cunt »

His schtick? The one that distinguishes him from the other fucking lazy creationist-cretin slaughterers?

That's it.
That is the only substantive difference between his act and PZ's dino-ridin' antics.
Also he speaks really quickly in his videos.

Skep tickle

Re: Bunkspubble

Post by Skep tickle »

Jack wrote:The easiest way to be banned (from A+ forum) is say something that is true or presents a decent argument not in their favour. Wind only survived as they wanted information from him. It would have been churlish to ban after that so they simply banned him from the very forums he successfully called them out on. ...
FWIW, wind is presumably female (has mentioned her husband in at least one post at A+, and posts at JREF using a female avatar and name that's more commonly female than male).

_________
Apples wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Apples wrote:Heh - wind has re-energized the Batshit Insane Moderators thread.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1900
On the contrary, cipher, wind showed the rest of you up to be liars. Or was there no secret forum that you denied existed?

Oh, there was? Aw shucks.
Hyperdeath confirms that wind was telling the truth (making Flewellyn look like the punitive gaslighting dishonest prick that he is) ... Cipher excuses her own full-of-shitness by stating that she wasn't talking to Hyperdeath ... and wind gets banned from Forum Matters (as was mood2, if I recall correctly - for defending wind). So... if you have a complaint about the A+ SJ Police and it turns out to be legit ... you'll probably be banned from the mods complaint office, which makes perfect sense, since that's where you're told to go with complaints about the mods.
Hyperdeath then tries to get everyone to stop discussing it: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 900#p70147 (bolding added by me everywhere below except it's the original in MorgannaLeFey's post):
Re: Are the moderators here censorious, capricious and biase
Postby hyperdeath » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Wind is now barred from forum matters (although welcome to participate in the rest of the forum). Please would other people drop the issue, unless they have something that they feel really must be said.
But subsequently faces hostile reactions from 2 of the regulars:
Postby Kassiane » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm
hyperdeath wrote: have strong reason to believe that wind's current account is largely correct. There was no "mole".
Then why did she say there was?

I don't trust your judge of character, given your history for making excuses for people doing shittiy things in this very thread.
(bolding as in original below)
Postby MorgannaLeFey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 pm
hyperdeath wrote:
Cipher wrote:Um, so, that whole "I'm protecting my source!" bullshit doesn't contradict her claim that there's not a source at all and she was just taking a shot in the dark?

Her current account is correct.

Just an observation here... you believe her account is correct.

I am no more convinced by your conviction than I have been by her contradictory and inconsistent assertions.

I would appreciate it a great deal if you could avoid making assertions of fact where there is no way you could possibly know for sure.
- Note that MorganaLeFey's sig includes: "I am able to accept that I could be wrong. I am able to accept when I make a mistake" and "However: You simply disagreeing with me doesn't make me wrong or mistaken. Give me compelling evidence."
- hyperdeath has ~2 posts recently in this thread in which xe says he stands corrected, he believes wind's account to be correct
- Note also that earlier in the day, qmartindale posted wind's prior account of how she'd found out, here: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 900#p70135 - wind found out when she followed a link in a PM sent to her & got something like "you do not have permission" message - then qmartindale says (in part) a little while later:
Postby qmartindale » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm

I read the "sources" in that post as the person who accidentally sent a link to a forum she didn't have access to, and the people who gave her non-answers when she asked about it. <snip>
[/quote]

(That fits with what wind had said, posting under her 'nym at JREF, had happened at A+)

So, here's how I put this latest set of posts together: hyperdeath as site admin very likely can read everyone's PMs, but xe doesn't want the flock to know. The other mods (including Flewellyn) may not know, and very likely don't have that access. That may be why Flewellyn was insisting wind was lying & covering something up, yet hyperdeath feels able to assert that wind's account was correct, but backs off when pressed & makes it appear that xe agrees that it's just a belief that wind's account is correct, and why xe is hoping people will drop the discussion. (Banning wind from the discussion helps, but that part isn't a surprise).

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Gah, not a big deal at all but I bolded one line in a quote where I said all the bolding was in the original.

Anyway, Grimalkin then weighs in http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1925, bringing to mind a little terrier, except that I don't want to insult terriers:
Postby Grimalkin » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:52 am
wind wrote:Who the fuck-hell are you? lol.
But this is funny.

1) I'm not misremembering
2) Someone told me my ass. The runaround I got was CONFIRMATION.

Dearest Wind;

Mod edit: hidden for the obvious reason [ Show ]
Fuck off and die.

That goes for both you and your informaint. You are trampling upon the personal security and safety of the people who relied on that secret forum as a place to share delicate and personal information, which you were not added to due to being as trustworthy with people's emotions as a Nigerian prince, and you are doing so because you are so self absorbed that you think that the existence of a forum that you cannot see means that everyone there is telling juicy gossip about you. Then you continued on to treat your triggering and safety trampling and self righteousness as some fucked up game of poker or clue or whatever the hell you think it is. As such, you are now my archetype of a vile piece of human scum. Enjoy.

Sincerely,

fuck you.
Last edited by SubMor on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Censored
When did Grimalkin lose the leaping pink pony? I can't believe I missed that. :cry:

And, I didn't see it mentioned already: ischemgeek is now a mod, announced here: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... =50#p70115 (presumably has fallen back in step after that one previous temp-ban)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

cunt wrote:

That's it.
Lots of good educational content in his evolution videos, presented well (though quickly).

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Skep tickle wrote:
cunt wrote:

That's it.
Lots of good educational content in his evolution videos, presented well (though quickly).
He is smart, well spoken, makes his points well ... but he isn't worth my time over say a Shermer, Krauss, Coyne, Dawkins, Hitchens, Fry, etc etc etc video

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Sylvia Sybil wrote:I vaguely remember an anecdote about an architecture firm which only had one or two female architects, but they had the women double check everyone's designs before they sent them out the door. The women picked up on things like glass staircases (which allow perverts to look up skirts) and rough concrete walls in the bathroom (likely to snag on pantyhose).
Since when do women rub up against bathroom walls?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Skep tickle wrote:
cunt wrote:

That's it.
The best content in the world becomes useless to me if I can't follow it. All i've ever gotten from an Aron Ra video was "wow, that guy sounds like he knows a lot about evolution". Maybe he could use his blog to put up the scripts.

Michael K Gray

A great Rubbing of Parts

Post by Michael K Gray »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Sylvia Sybil wrote:I vaguely remember an anecdote about an architecture firm which only had one or two female architects, but they had the women double check everyone's designs before they sent them out the door. The women picked up on things like glass staircases (which allow perverts to look up skirts) and rough concrete walls in the bathroom (likely to snag on pantyhose).
Since about 3:30 am.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Channeling the responses to backpackergirl at A+:

Why would women be the only ones who could notice those problems? How about people identified as male at birth and raised male but who prefer to wear women's clothing for any reason of their choosing and who would feel violated if anyone looked up xir skirt and shamed if xe had to walk around with pantyhose with runs in them? You can't just ask cis-women's view on this, you'll be excluding marginalized people who also have viewpoints-informed-by-personal-experience, and in disregarding their personal experience you'll be stomping on their toes and taking away their spoons.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Skep tickle wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
Channeling the responses to backpackergirl at A+:

Why would women be the only ones who could notice those problems? How about people identified as male at birth and raised male but who prefer to wear women's clothing for any reason of their choosing and who would feel violated if anyone looked up xir skirt and shamed if xe had to walk around with pantyhose with runs in them? You can't just ask cis-women's view on this, you'll be excluding marginalized people who also have viewpoints-informed-by-personal-experience, and in disregarding their personal experience you'll be stomping on their toes and taking away their spoons.
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs12/f/2006/ ... ofMyth.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

cunt wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
cunt wrote:

That's it.
The best content in the world becomes useless to me if I can't follow it. All i've ever gotten from an Aron Ra video was "wow, that guy sounds like he knows a lot about evolution". Maybe he could use his blog to put up the scripts.
It's true, they move quite fast & he seems to assume viewers either already have a pretty robust background in evolution or retain most of what he says. I find myself going back to replay sections where I didn't follow him, or my attention lapsed for a bit.

I've never watched his lectures or interviews, nor anything he's done that's not about evolution. I really like his phylogeny videos, esp the several that cover the evolution on mammals.

Steersman

Re: Over It

Post by Steersman »

Ophelia Benson with her knickers in a twist – again, still – this time over Ben Radford saying “bad werdz” about feminism. Interesting that she continues to peddle this highly questionable argument:
Notice that calling a claim or a remark “sexist” is not the same thing as calling the person who makes the remark a sexist.
Maybe I’m being obtuse, but it seems analogous to arguing that saying someone has committed murder is not saying that they are a murderer. But maybe she is using a different style of “logic”.

But an interesting statement from Radford:
I am over the wanton slinging of labels like "misogynist" and "sexist" and "sister hater" and "gender traitor" and "rape apologist" to people who dare criticize feminists. Plenty of feminists disagree with each other.
Which may have been a proximate cause for this snarky comment:
EllenBeth Wachs (Guest) on Friday February 15, 2013 at 1:51pm

You know what I am over? You.

Guess she might have taken some umbrage at those “who dare criticize feminists”.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Skep tickle wrote:
cunt wrote:

That's it.
I would disagree, not only does he speak quite fast, he also uses loads of complicated biology jargon in his videos, which from an educational POV makes them quite bad. Mind you, I'm not saying that they are bad videos, just that if you want education, a Gatling gun that throws a complicated terms that makes you have to pause the video every 2 sec to take a look in a dictionary or wikipedia is not optimal.

I really think that it's one of his bigger flaws. I find his videos entertaining and having a bit of knowledge of biology makes them bearable to watch, but it's really easy to get the impression that he's playing the "I'm smarter than you because I know a lot of complicated words, you didn't even understand what I just said so I win by default"-game. Sure, from his POV, he's probably just demonstrating that he has a firm grasp of the actual science while the creationist hacks that will need a hour to decode what he just said clearly doesn't.
Unfortunately, I don't think that undecided people on the sidelines will see it that way.

Michael K Gray

Re: Aaron Rabinson has no soul, and is history, thank fuck!

Post by Michael K Gray »

acathode wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
cunt wrote:

That's it.
I would disagree, not only does he speak quite fast, he also uses loads of complicated biology jargon in his videos, which from an educational POV makes them quite bad. Mind you, I'm not saying that they are bad videos, just that if you want education, a Gatling gun that throws a complicated terms that makes you have to pause the video every 2 sec to take a look in a dictionary or wikipedia is not optimal.

I really think that it's one of his bigger flaws. I find his videos entertaining and having a bit of knowledge of biology makes them bearable to watch, but it's really easy to get the impression that he's playing the "I'm smarter than you because I know a lot of complicated words, you didn't even understand what I just said so I win by default"-game. Sure, from his POV, he's probably just demonstrating that he has a firm grasp of the actual science while the creationist hacks that will need a hour to decode what he just said clearly doesn't.
Unfortunately, I don't think that undecided people on the sidelines will see it that way.
It is the classic "Gish Gallop" garbage, but ignored as it is from "our side", just as PZ's fact-free dismissals of his opponents only underwent critical scrutiny when it was "our side" getting the rough end of the stick.
Welch is 101% correct here.

"We"(!) give Aaron the full length of benefit of our doubt, and excuse his true gish-gallop debating scams a cheering free-pass, but not those of creationists.

Double standards?
This is where the likes of the arch-contrarian Steersman are of actual value in prompting we superior folk to having said double-standard to penetrate our thick noggins.

Get a grip, and drop one's tribal allegiences.
You see how well that went when "we" cheered PZ for the same rationale that the peanut gallery is cheering Aaran.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote:
acathode wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
cunt wrote:

That's it.

It is the classic "Gish Gallop" garbage, but ignored as it is from "our side", just as PZ's fact-free dismissals of his opponents only underwent critical scrutiny when it was "our side" getting the rough end of the stick.

"We"(!) give Aaron the full length of benefit of our doubt, and excuse his true gish-gallop debating scams a cheering free-pass, but not those of creationists.

Double standards?
This is where the likes of the arch-contrarian Steersman are of actual value in prompting we superior folk to having said double-standard to penetrate our thick noggins.

You see how well that went when "we" cheered PZ for the same rationale that the peanut gallery is cheering Aaran.
Well then! That is high praise indeed! :-)

But really rather difficult to decide when one is trying to be fair and when one is bending over backwards “to positively supine lengths” – as Dawkins put it. Sometimes one has to make a decision which one has to do with some “fear and trembling” as the consequences may be profound while certainty may be in short supply ….

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Michael K Gray wrote:
acathode wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
cunt wrote:

That's it.

Double standards?

His videos are not debates or fact free. In discussions he is very clear in what he is saying and is good at making short, succinct points. For some reason he overcomplicates some of his videos but he does not do that as a general rule. Myers I never took to. Something about him got on my nerves and considering I only found out about FtB etc a few weeks ago I can honestly claim this association with them was not the cause of my annoyance. When I wanted information about, say, evolution I always avoided Myers and listened or read to others instead.

Aron is what he is, it is not an act. Why should he change?

We can't like everyone. I think it is a mistake to assume that is because they are bad at what they do or they are putting on an act.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Michael K Gray wrote:It is the classic "Gish Gallop" garbage, but ignored as it is from "our side", just as PZ's fact-free dismissals of his opponents only underwent critical scrutiny when it was "our side" getting the rough end of the stick.

Double standards?

I'm hesitant to call it a Gish gallop due to the fact that a real Gish gallop, at least according to the definitions and explanations that I've seen, not only relies on firing of a lot of things in a short amount of time, but that those things are bullshit, factual errors, etc, in an attempt to overwhelm the opponent side who simply don't have time to correct every single error, leaving the "galloper" with several unaddressed points that he "scores".

A creationist might call it a Gish gallop, but I don't think it'd be fair to accuse Aron Ra of that sort of dishonesty or bullshitting. AFAIK his videos are factually correct, and "the other side" is not limited by any rules of debate giving them only a limited amount of time to respond. However, if he used his "gallopy" tactic in a real debate, that'd be another story.

ps. I never cheered for Myers, outside of a video where he talk with some crazy muslim about embryology on the street, I'd never heard of the guy until "tf00t-gate"... but yeah, I still agree with your point (and yes yes, I do get it, you didn't mean specifically me when you wrote "we")

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Jack wrote:Aron is what he is, it is not an act.
I think that it is both.
What gives you the psychic insight to categorically know about Aaron's internal intentions above me?
Old Bertie-babes would likely be horrified at that hairy hocus-pocus hubris.
Jack wrote:Why should he change?
As I clearly pointed out, he should not, given that many a sincere vaudeville act has managed to provide the income by which to generate another series of offspring. For that is surely the ultimate goal for one's genes? Or does Aaron avoid this obvious aspect of evolution due to its complex teleological implications?
Why should he change? He should not change, if the current path is that which he prefers.
That much is clear. He is on a good wicket, Sir Bertrand. Just as is one Watson, BSc (Comm. Stud.)
Why would, or should, either of them abandon this seemingly endless soothing-teat that dispenses barely-nourishing narcotic ego-pap courtesy of their hordes of sychophants? (Including you, perhaps?)
History is replete with the tales of tyrants like them, who assume that their absolutely minimal efforts in pointing toward others' hypocrisy, when coupled with an intimidating persona, is a sufficient shield to ward off the oft-justified slings & arrows of the enemy.
Especially when court-trained sycophants puff up their self-importance.
Jack wrote:We can't like everyone.
Indeed. Quite a deepity there, sir. Well done.
Jack wrote:I think it is a mistake to assume that is because they are bad at what they do or they are putting on an act.
What makes you think that that is why I assume that Aaron is putting on an act?
I gave you my exact reasoning as to why I think he is "putting on an act", and Aaron being "bad at at it", was not included in the candidate list.
It is my impression that he is "putting on an act" because it clearly advances his standing in the atheist/skeptical junket-circuit, and street-cred in other fora. By "putting on an act" I contend that he both fuels his ego, as well as his frequent flier groupy credits.

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

acathode wrote:I'm hesitant to call it a Gish gallop due to the fact that a real Gish gallop, at least according to the definitions and explanations that I've seen, not only relies on firing of a lot of things in a short amount of time, but that those things are bullshit, factual errors, etc, in an attempt to overwhelm the opponent side who simply don't have time to correct every single error, leaving the "galloper" with several unaddressed points that he "scores".
Is this the Gensis of "A No True Gish Gallop"?
Your defining characteristic between the two sides is that of "those things are bullshit".
Which, as you cogently allude, is in the mind of the beholder.
It applies equally to both sides' OPINIONS, but not forensic facts.

The "other side" may well be of the equivalent opinion that Aaron's style is to:
"...rely on firing of a lot of things in a short amount of time, but that those things are bullshit, factual errors, etc, in an attempt to overwhelm the opponent side who simply don't have time to correct every single error, leaving the "galloper" with several unaddressed points that he "scores".
I see it as a mirror image, when considering it from the wanker's viewpoint.
Of course they are factually incorrect, but that does not halt me from imagining what it might be like to be inside their world-view.
Quite a dreadful place, but that is beside the point.
I feel that I can see it from their point of view.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

As a practitioner of Vaudeville acts myself, I will say that a bit of decorum in one's public persona is, if not primordial, a very important aspect of PR. I wouldn't blame Aron Ra if his "tough biker" imagery was just an act.

I've never watched his videos or talks, though. I'm only speaking in metalhead solidarity.

Michael K Gray

Fuck off, tourists.

Post by Michael K Gray »

Watch as Nadia Stamp goes swimming with sea lions and toys??
Youse cunts, keep out of my paradise, OK?
We have giant salty clitorises.
[youtube]P6CHehEfYCE[/youtube]
The white-pointers will chomp you before you can say "Anne zzzzz Robinson".

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:As a practitioner of Vaudeville acts myself, I will say that a bit of decorum in one's public persona is, if not primordial, a very important aspect of PR. I wouldn't blame Aron Ra if his "tough biker" imagery was just an act.

I've never watched his videos or talks, though. I'm only speaking in metalhead solidarity.
Quite.
I am not "having a go" at him for pursuing this line of employment, nor his stage-persona, but I am "having a go" at the blind naïve souls who fail to see the puppet-master artistry to which they are being skilfully subjected.

All power to Aaron, if such a performance gives him pleasure.
'Tis not for him that I am koncerned.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:As a practitioner of Vaudeville acts myself, I will say that a bit of decorum in one's public persona is, if not primordial, a very important aspect of PR. I wouldn't blame Aron Ra if his "tough biker" imagery was just an act.

Quite.
I am not "having a go" at him for pursuing this line of employment, nor his stage-persona, but I am "having a go" at the blind naïve souls who fail to see the puppet-master artistry to which they are being skilfully subjected.

Back in 2002/2003, I used to share a house with a professional male model. Zoolander style, even (he was the guy fighting his own shadow in that Egoiste perfume commercial). He had a set of tools (shavers, hair sumthin...) to make him look unkempt. It was an education in decorum.

Anyway, someone would indeed be naïve in thinking public figures are naturally the way they look. Or act. I don't even know where I'm going with this, it's such blatant platitude.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

That douchebag, to be clear:

[youtube]ZR1LBUeiUuI[/youtube]

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

Quite.

Back in 2002/2003, I used to share a house with a professional male model. Zoolander style, even (he was the guy fighting his own shadow in that Egoiste perfume commercial). He had a set of tools (shavers, hair sumthin...) to make him look unkempt. It was an education in decorum.

Anyway, someone would indeed be naïve in thinking public figures are naturally the way they look. Or act. I don't even know where I'm going with this, it's such blatant platitude.
May I propose a tentative metric scale of Poseuerability? (ISO abbrevitaion: "Wk")
One "Poseur" is a Jacques Chirac in the metric wanker scale ISO 20010 app B.2
One milli-Chc.
George Michael= deci-Chc
Steersman = kilo-Chc
One Git = Mega-Chc
1 MKG = 13,074 Yotta-Chc

Michael K Gray

Post by Michael K Gray »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:That douchebag, to be clear:
ZR1LBUeiUuI
I could swear that he name of the channel-dupe was Oolon.

incognito

Re: Bunkspubble

Post by incognito »

Skep tickle wrote:
Jack wrote:The easiest way to be banned (from A+ forum) is say something that is true or presents a decent argument not in their favour. Wind only survived as they wanted information from him. It would have been churlish to ban after that so they simply banned him from the very forums he successfully called them out on. ...
FWIW, wind is presumably female (has mentioned her husband in at least one post at A+, and posts at JREF using a female avatar and name that's more commonly female than male).

_________
Apples wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Apples wrote:Heh - wind has re-energized the Batshit Insane Moderators thread.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... start=1900
On the contrary, cipher, wind showed the rest of you up to be liars. Or was there no secret forum that you denied existed?

Oh, there was? Aw shucks.
Hyperdeath confirms that wind was telling the truth (making Flewellyn look like the punitive gaslighting dishonest prick that he is) ... Cipher excuses her own full-of-shitness by stating that she wasn't talking to Hyperdeath ... and wind gets banned from Forum Matters (as was mood2, if I recall correctly - for defending wind). So... if you have a complaint about the A+ SJ Police and it turns out to be legit ... you'll probably be banned from the mods complaint office, which makes perfect sense, since that's where you're told to go with complaints about the mods.
Hyperdeath then tries to get everyone to stop discussing it: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 900#p70147 (bolding added by me everywhere below except it's the original in MorgannaLeFey's post):
Postby hyperdeath » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Wind is now barred from forum matters (although welcome to participate in the rest of the forum). Please would other people drop the issue, unless they have something that they feel really must be said.
But subsequently faces hostile reactions from 2 of the regulars:
Postby Kassiane » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm
hyperdeath wrote: have strong reason to believe that wind's current account is largely correct. There was no "mole".
Then why did she say there was?

I don't trust your judge of character, given your history for making excuses for people doing shittiy things in this very thread.
(bolding as in original below)
Postby MorgannaLeFey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 pm
hyperdeath wrote:
Cipher wrote:Um, so, that whole "I'm protecting my source!" bullshit doesn't contradict her claim that there's not a source at all and she was just taking a shot in the dark?

Her current account is correct.

Just an observation here... you believe her account is correct.

I am no more convinced by your conviction than I have been by her contradictory and inconsistent assertions.

I would appreciate it a great deal if you could avoid making assertions of fact where there is no way you could possibly know for sure.
- Note that MorganaLeFey's sig includes: "I am able to accept that I could be wrong. I am able to accept when I make a mistake" and "However: You simply disagreeing with me doesn't make me wrong or mistaken. Give me compelling evidence."
- hyperdeath has ~2 posts recently in this thread in which xe says he stands corrected, he believes wind's account to be correct
- Note also that earlier in the day, qmartindale posted wind's prior account of how she'd found out, here: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 900#p70135 - wind found out when she followed a link in a PM sent to her & got something like "you do not have permission" message - then qmartindale says (in part) a little while later:
Postby qmartindale » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm

I read the "sources" in that post as the person who accidentally sent a link to a forum she didn't have access to, and the people who gave her non-answers when she asked about it. <snip>
(That fits with what wind had said, posting under her 'nym at JREF, had happened at A+)

So, here's how I put this latest set of posts together: hyperdeath as site admin very likely can read everyone's PMs, but xe doesn't want the flock to know. The other mods (including Flewellyn) may not know, and very likely don't have that access. That may be why Flewellyn was insisting wind was lying & covering something up, yet hyperdeath feels able to assert that wind's account was correct, but backs off when pressed & makes it appear that xe agrees that it's just a belief that wind's account is correct, and why xe is hoping people will drop the discussion. (Banning wind from the discussion helps, but that part isn't a surprise).[/quote]

Exactly.
Although, I'm not 100% confidant that hyperdeath has read my PMs. If he has, yes, it would all make sense. But it's not necessary, and I have no reason to believe he's sleezy like that. My gut feeling about hyperdeath is that he would NOT read PMs. Granted, this is just gut intuition.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:That douchebag, to be clear:
ZR1LBUeiUuI
I could swear that he name of the channel-dupe was Oolon.
No idea what you're talking about. Or did you mean "Chanel"?

incognito

Post by incognito »

God damnit, an edit button would be cool.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

incognito wrote:God damnit, an edit button would be cool.
Not even in your wildest dreams!

incognito

Post by incognito »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
incognito wrote:God damnit, an edit button would be cool.
Not even in your wildest dreams!
Yeah, yeah, I know.
Sigh.

decius

Post by decius »

Novella is still not replying, so I posted the following.

Sadly, I'm not getting any reply or acknowledgement from Steven.
I'll ask more directly then.

Tell me, Steven, why are you pretending that the problems are confined to just PZ, FtB and A+?

How long are you going to tiptoe around the subject of Rebecca Watson and pretend she has nothing to do with it?

The following may seem like loaded questions. Forgive me for just asking them, I will be able to provide evidence to substantiate the charge, should you request me to do so.

Will Rebecca Watson's censorious tactics, her slanderous attacks on prominent members of the community, her loose relationship with facts concerning the alleged hate campaign she's been subjected to, her summary dismissal of scientific subjects she doesn't care for, her pseudo-scientific approach to the same subjects, her contempt for well-meaning critics, the divisive politics of Skepchick remain forever taboo on Neurologica blog or on SGU?

Is it just a matter ot ingroup and outgroup allegiances or is there something more sinister to it?

An answer would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Decius: two things.

Do not expect an answer. Neither you nor anyone else is entitled to such. I know, it sucks big time, and is very frustrating. Still, you have to live with it.

Second thing: I can haz linky?

decius

Post by decius »

I've read and commented on Neurologica blog from inception. I've never seen such a dismissive behaviour towards honest and uncomfortable questions. It would be a sad day if you were right, Phil.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde ... ment-50413

decius

Post by decius »

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Thanks for the link. A bit depressing to see Novella giving only two replies there, one of which is an accusation of trolling.

YOU wrote the bloody post, Novella. Own up to it or don't post at all.

decius

Post by decius »

The accusation of trolling is fully warranted. That guys has been trying to derail several unrelated threads with his pet conspiracy theory.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I'm not saying it's not trolling. But really, the time he took to write this could have been used to answer on-topic, honest inquieries such as yours.

decius

Post by decius »

The cheeky cunt just made a show of replying to yet another inconsequential post and ignore me again. Well, at least in the future he won't be able to deny that issues have been pointed out to him before.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Re: the Carnival Triumph (aka The Good Ship Lollipoop) - I'd forgotten about David Foster Wallace's essay "Shipping Out" (or A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again), about his experiences on a seven-day luxury cruise. Definitely worth downloading from Harper's and reading in its entirety, if you enjoy DFW's brand of wry humor and intelligent observation.
There's something about a mass-market Luxury Cruise that's unbearably sad. Like most unbearably sad things, it seems incredibly elusive and complex in its causes yet simple in its effect: on board the Nadir (especially at night, when all the ship's structured fun and reassurances and gaiety ceased) I felt despair. The word "despair" is overused and banalized now, but it's a serious word, and I'm using it seriously. It's close to what people call dread or angst, but it's not these things, quite. It's more like wanting to die in order to escape the unbearable sadness of knowing I'm small and weak and selfish and going, without doubt, to die. It's wanting to jump overboard.
The Nadir is DFW's name for the cruise ship Zenith.

decius

Post by decius »

Novella has replied.
# Steven Novellaon 16 Feb 2013 at 6:50 am
decius – I disagree with your summary of the situation. I am not giving Rebecca any kind of special pass. I and the SGU have also not taken on any other individual, and we have tried not to get dragged into personal, ideological, or political fights.
On the SGU Rebecca is a skeptic, she does a great job, and she stays within the confines that I have defined for the show. I give everyone a little personal wiggle room for flavor, but not much.
Rebecca is also a feminist activist – separate from the SGU which she started prior to joining the SGU. In that she has her own ideological and political approach. This is identical to the fact that PZ also promotes his own ideology an politics on his blog, and has his own tone, and you will notice that I specifically did not criticize any of these aspects of PZs blog and specifically mentioned that I respect his freedom to do whatever he wants. This is no different than Rebecca, or from the libertarians in the movement.
The points I am making here are:
- As a movement we should pay attention to issues of sexism and racism, for moral and pragmatic reasons.
- As with any other issues, empirical claims relating to these topics are fair game and good targets
- Outright misogyny is poisoning our community, radicalizing all sides, and should not be tolerated.
- I am not going to get down into the weeds on what I consider personal, ideological, or political aspects of this conflict – except perhaps to call for a more constructive conversation.
I have been involved only to the extent that I have been witness to some of the harassment and abuse that Rebecca receives, and I have verified this. In terms of feedback to the SGU to which I am privy, she is singled out unfairly, treated horribly by some people, and outright harassed in a blatantly sexist manner. (She also gets a lot of support, to be sure.) She has put up with this for years, even before Elevatorgate. I do think this warrants giving her a bit of understanding, even if you disagree with some of her tactics.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

What fucking harassment?!?

jg64

Post by jg64 »

I'm going to split the thread soon: I get all creeped out by Anne Robinson each time I open this one...

Lsuoma wrote:Topic split. Anne Robinson is no longer haunting me.
You think you've been haunted by Anne Robinson!!!! As a parent of a child with autistic traits who has been obsessed with The Sleekest Bint for 13 years, just the mention of her name triggers a shudder. Huuuggghhhhiiieee!!! Wipes mouth. You have no idea.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:

Quite.

May I propose a tentative metric scale of Poseuerability? (ISO abbrevitaion: "Wk")
One "Poseur" is a Jacques Chirac in the metric wanker scale ISO 20010 app B.2
One milli-Chc.
George Michael= deci-Chc
Steersman = kilo-Chc
One Git = Mega-Chc
1 MKG = 13,074 Yotta-Chc
Guess I have a ways then to reach your qualifications - some 10^24 decades or thereabouts. Oh well, something to aim for ....

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:Re: the Carnival Triumph (aka The Good Ship Lollipoop) - I'd forgotten about David Foster Wallace's essay "Shipping Out" (or A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again), about his experiences on a seven-day luxury cruise. Definitely worth downloading from Harper's and reading in its entirety, if you enjoy DFW's brand of wry humor and intelligent observation.
There's something about a mass-market Luxury Cruise that's unbearably sad. Like most unbearably sad things, it seems incredibly elusive and complex in its causes yet simple in its effect: on board the Nadir (especially at night, when all the ship's structured fun and reassurances and gaiety ceased) I felt despair. The word "despair" is overused and banalized now, but it's a serious word, and I'm using it seriously. It's close to what people call dread or angst, but it's not these things, quite. It's more like wanting to die in order to escape the unbearable sadness of knowing I'm small and weak and selfish and going, without doubt, to die. It's wanting to jump overboard.
The Nadir is DFW's name for the cruise ship Zenith.
I'll have to look for the article which sounds ... interesting. That type of "Ship of Fools" forced jollity has always seemed to me to have an uncomfortable edge to it ...