Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Slither

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Slither »

Spence wrote: Of course, if you want to judge people on the basis of how they choose to look, that's your business....
Judging people negatively because they have tattoos is utterly retarded.
So, you are claiming you don't have any negative opinion about the bearers of the following tattoos?
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Rando ... 998232.jpg
or
http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images ... ttoo_2.jpg

Really?

codelette

Post by codelette »

PPS. Don't have any tattoos. Love men with tattoos -specially the man I trapped-. Lower back tattoos: the problem is not the placement, it is usually the art what cheapens it (too many tacky tribals, butterflies, flowers, stars and stupid dolphins to raise its cache).

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tkmlac wrote:Howdy Pit. It's been awhile. I've recently changed jobs and dragged myself out of a pretty lousy depression and have treated a nasty celulitis mrsa infection I contracted because of the poor conditions at my previous job. I hope to have more time again to keep up with you guys (and gals). I was recently made aware of the sxsw panel about Reddit and subsequent blogpost by the Skepchick that basically said everything that makes Reddit Reddit is to blame for people being assholes on the internet. I won't link to the blogpost I wrote about it because I don't want Franc to call me a link whore. Anyway, I missed you guys, even those of you I disagree with because, hey, that's what open discussion is all about. Peace!
I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Welcome back, and fuck off!*

*The new official Pit greeting, in case you weren't aware.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

bhoytony wrote: All I mentioned in my first post was tramp stamps and council facelifts, there was no reference to any of your posts and I didn't mention you.
Indeed not - instead, you referenced Dick Strawkins' post, and attributed its sentiments to me. Nicely played.
You are the one who is making this all about you.
Well, at least I didn't make someone else all about me. (see above)
You do seem to be a smug arsehole though. As for the gobshite comment, well you just seem like a typical internet tough guy
we all know what they are like. I'm done with this now.
Blimey - and there I was thinking we were getting on like a house on fire.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Aneris wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Aneris: the lady in your user icon looks like a charming little thing. Who is she, or do you have a link to the movie it is from?

Kind regards,
My Testicles.
better you release your... energies while looking at the other images
https://www.google.de/search?q=Effy+Stonem
Danke schon.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Zenspace wrote:
decius wrote:
TheMan wrote: Tattoos can be fun.
For how long, before you get bored with the design? It seems inevitable as well as the eventual fading of the ink.
No one would wear the same item of clothing for the rest of their life, regardless how pretty it is. Why should one feel any different about tattoos?

People are fucking weird.
This is precisely why I've never gotten a tattoo or any kind of piercing, not even for an earring, which is fairly unusual for my generation and the people I hang with. I may well be the only one in the group. Then again, I'm the only one that never started smoking either. One part of it is a very high resistance to peer pressure. The other is the recognition of the simple fact that we change tastes and interests as we age, as you note. A larger one was that I once held these practices as primitive cultural holdovers which, at the time, pretty much killed my interest in any of those practices.

I've pretty much done a 180 on that last bit these days. While extreme examples, like those expanded ear lobes, still tend to really turn me off, I'm more inclined to consider the artistic merit of a tattoo above all other factors. There is some incredibly good artwork to be found out there and I've even complimented some of the work I've seen on complete strangers. I might get one myself someday, but it isn't any kind of priority or even that strong an interest. Given the permanence, clearly a lot of consideration would go into it. A good friend, a respectable university professor in NYC has his entire upper body tattooed in spectacular fashion, beltline to neck, designed around graphic representations of killer viruses, such as Ebola. Amazing work, but done such that a simple white t-shirt will cover all of it, rendering it invisible, a very smart way to go about it.
I used to think that, then about a year ago I though "meh" and how have one half of my chest and my other shoulder and arm tattooed

In years to come I may not think they are still "me" at that point, but they will always be the "me" I was when I had them done.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Well, here's me not sticking the flounce.
AndrewV69 wrote:Let us not forget that effectively Churchill was as poor as a church mouse, and as I recall his mother was a spendthrift slut.
Wait, wut? I don't even...
AndrewV69 wrote:Here is a tip:
Ruh-oh
AndrewV69 wrote:The idle upper and lower classes have a lot more in common that you might think at first.
OK, you are confused. Deeply confused.

Firstly: people are people are people are people. I spend time with a large cross section of people, from a wide range of different classes, backgrounds, cultures.

And you know what? People are people. Some are bright. Some are dumb as fuck. Some are not so bright, but incredibly practical. Most like spending time with their friends and family, and doing stuff they like to do. Whether they are young, old, lower class, idle rich, etc. etc. They are all much the same.

Of course there are influences and differences from their social upbringing. And one of the key elements is fashion. How they dress, the jewellery they were, how they speak, and yes - tattoos that they have.

And you know what? Those fashions change. One decade, social class "X" are using long a's and getting tattoos. Another decade, social class "X" are using short a's and not getting tattoos. But all of the time, they are still people, and they spend most of their time doing people things.

And you know who the fucking idiots are? The ones that are slaves to fashion. The ones that are slaves to the class structure. The ones who sneer because person from social class "Y" is doing something that was de rigeur in social class "Y" three decades ago but not today. And you know what? Every social class will have pretty much the same ratio of these idiots that can't see past whatever the fashion today is, to smarter people without those prejudices.

And that cuts both ways, whether it is the Setard sneering at wealthy people or you sneering at people with tattoos or spendthrift sluts. I see no difference. You both lack the ability to see beyond the veneer society paints people with.

Once those scales are lifted from your eyes, you no longer see people as "lower class", or "idle rich", or "betters" (wtf?), or "pretty bourgeoisie" (or even "petty bourgeoisie"), you just see people. There are no "betters" by class. There are people, some of whom are idiots, and some of whom are not idiots. And the ratio of "idiots" to "not idiots" is, in my experience, not greatly different across social standing (because social standing is rarely a function of intelligence or reason).

So when I compare your model of the human race, which seems to revolve around class and fashions, or being poor or slutty in the case of the Churchills, and my model of the human race, which revolves around who is an idiot and who isn't, I conclude that your model sucks, and your "tip" is about as useful as herpes. And I'm not talking about the cancer-curing variety there, before Abbie takes me to task.

welch

Post by welch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Just got round to reading Queen Bee's rage tear rant about SWSX. I had a good chuckle at how she cried about the audience giving the guy standing at the mic a better round of applause than hers.

You can almost hear her under her breath saying: THE INSOLENCE!
She's really not used to places where she's just another panelist.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Tkmlac wrote:Howdy Pit. It's been awhile. I've recently changed jobs and dragged myself out of a pretty lousy depression and have treated a nasty celulitis mrsa infection I contracted because of the poor conditions at my previous job. I hope to have more time again to keep up with you guys (and gals). I was recently made aware of the sxsw panel about Reddit and subsequent blogpost by the Skepchick that basically said everything that makes Reddit Reddit is to blame for people being assholes on the internet. I won't link to the blogpost I wrote about it because I don't want Franc to call me a link whore. Anyway, I missed you guys, even those of you I disagree with because, hey, that's what open discussion is all about. Peace!
"Guys and Gals"?

We prefer the terms "rapists" and "gender traitors".

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

TheMan wrote:
decius wrote:
For how long, before you get bored with the design? It seems inevitable as well as the eventual fading of the ink.
No one would wear the same item of clothing for the rest of their life, regardless how pretty it is. Why should one feel any different about tattoos?

I haven't got any tatts. I can't think of a compelling reason an event should be permanently marked or a character trait I want to symbolise I'm certain I'll maintain in the years to come.

I don't find tatts off putting or a judgment of character. I have no dogmatic thoughts on tatts.

If I did get one it would have to be very clever, make a decent point and prefereably something artistic.

I meant "fun" as in cheeky...like a cock measuring Tramp Stamp

Comparing tatts to clothes is far fetched IMHO. Some people look after their clothes better than their skin...that's weird.
Nothing about your body is permanent. It was this realisation that led me to stop stressing about protecting my precious hearing and go see a lot of live loud music. I want to die with a body that is all-used up. There is no use preserving your perfect hearing/skin/limb count until you snuff it... it's all useless to you anyway then.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Welcome back.....

welch

Post by welch »

TheMan wrote:"Tramp Stamps"... I used to call them "Guy Guides", which then made me think of glow in the dark tattoo ink. Then guys started getting them too. When I had the chance to look at one close up I started looking for the small print with perhaps further instructions like "Do not use the top hole". THEN I thought I would design a "Tramp Stamp" that has the practicle design of a penis width and length measuring stick, with little marks along with names.... just for a laugh.

Tattoos can be fun.

Dad rang me up last week because he heard I got a tattoo. He's always been against them on anyone. I don't mind them and would like to get one but I fugured if I waited till I'm a bit wrinklier it'll still look reasonably fresh when I'm 80. Presuming lung replacment is a common procedure by then
I always liked this take on things:

http://9gag.com/gag/4820415

welch

Post by welch »

decius wrote:

I've rarely encountered people who honestly say "I wish i hadn't done that" outside of the perennially bad idea of getting an SO/Spouse's name inscribed in your skin. The permanence seems to be something that the people who get them are fine with.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
TheMan wrote:
decius wrote:

I haven't got any tatts. I can't think of a compelling reason an event should be permanently marked or a character trait I want to symbolise I'm certain I'll maintain in the years to come.

I don't find tatts off putting or a judgment of character. I have no dogmatic thoughts on tatts.

If I did get one it would have to be very clever, make a decent point and prefereably something artistic.

Comparing tatts to clothes is far fetched IMHO. Some people look after their clothes better than their skin...that's weird.
Nothing about your body is permanent. It was this realisation that led me to stop stressing about protecting my precious hearing and go see a lot of live loud music. I want to die with a body that is all-used up. There is no use preserving your perfect hearing/skin/limb count until you snuff it... it's all useless to you anyway then.
True...it's why I don't have private life/medical insurance. my looking after my skin extends to simply not getting sunburnt or seeking a tan. Seems to be doing pretty good , so I'm told, without special treatment.

I wanna be spent too.

Spence

Post by Spence »

Slither wrote:
Spence wrote: Of course, if you want to judge people on the basis of how they choose to look, that's your business....
Judging people negatively because they have tattoos is utterly retarded.
So, you are claiming you don't have any negative opinion about the bearers of the following tattoos?
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Rando ... 998232.jpg
or
http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images ... ttoo_2.jpg

Really?
Are you talking about judging the people or the tattoos?

I don't particularly like either tattoo, although mainly because they are poorly executed as much as anything (I have seen at least one very witty / well done "belly button as an anus" tattoo), but it doesn't really tell me much about the individuals beyond the fact that they aren't very good at choosing tattoo artists.

But then I hear you can judge someone's entire character based just on the internet fora they frequent, so what do I know?

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

codelette wrote:
Aneris wrote: 1. Abortion Is Neither A Debate Nor A Thought Experiment
Synopsis: If you are a man you really shouldn't be talking about abortion.
What was the reasoning behind abortion not being open to debate?
Why should men not talk about abortion? Abortion is not only an issue of women reproductive rights; it is also an issue of medical ethics. So, it is an issue that compels everyone to one level or the other.
I had a therapeutic abortion a few years ago. I was married, so while I had the last word on having the procedure performed; it was an issue to be discussed as a couple. I identified as a pro-choice person before the procedure. Now, I identify as pro-abortion (started thinking that pro-choice and pro-life are just euphemisms). Ironically, when I was "pro-choice" I was very b&w when it came to the topic. After the abortion, I started seeing the many shades of gray on the pro vs anti-abortion debates. I started thinking more about what is it that decides personhood. Is it viability? Since modern medical technology allows younger and younger fetuses to survive outside the womb...to which point will abortion be consider murder?
I had actually had very interesting debates with both women and men over the topic. Specifically issues like the requirement for a TV ultrasound, third trimester abortions and parental permission for pregnancy termination.

PS. And no, I do not regret it. Not one bit. 8-)
He/she lists a few reasons why he is pro-choice, then says that it shouldn't matter to men because they will never be pregnant. Women actually have to make the choice. This is true, but also kind of whiny, because it's like saying you should never criticize the president because he makes the decision and you don't. I'm very much pro-choice, but for Christ's sake, we are still talking about killing potential offspring. Everyone involved is going to be interested in what's going. He/she seems so amazingly ignorant about abortion that I don't have any idea why he/she thinks anyone should take him/her seriously, other than HE/SHE FEELS VERY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
decius wrote:

This is precisely why I've never gotten a tattoo or any kind of piercing, not even for an earring, which is fairly unusual for my generation and the people I hang with. I may well be the only one in the group. Then again, I'm the only one that never started smoking either. One part of it is a very high resistance to peer pressure. The other is the recognition of the simple fact that we change tastes and interests as we age, as you note. A larger one was that I once held these practices as primitive cultural holdovers which, at the time, pretty much killed my interest in any of those practices.

I've pretty much done a 180 on that last bit these days. While extreme examples, like those expanded ear lobes, still tend to really turn me off, I'm more inclined to consider the artistic merit of a tattoo above all other factors. There is some incredibly good artwork to be found out there and I've even complimented some of the work I've seen on complete strangers. I might get one myself someday, but it isn't any kind of priority or even that strong an interest. Given the permanence, clearly a lot of consideration would go into it. A good friend, a respectable university professor in NYC has his entire upper body tattooed in spectacular fashion, beltline to neck, designed around graphic representations of killer viruses, such as Ebola. Amazing work, but done such that a simple white t-shirt will cover all of it, rendering it invisible, a very smart way to go about it.
I used to think that, then about a year ago I though "meh" and how have one half of my chest and my other shoulder and arm tattooed

In years to come I may not think they are still "me" at that point, but they will always be the "me" I was when I had them done.
Which is fine. I do not have an automatic negative response to them anymore, me reaction tends towards low level curiousity and is pretty neutral provided the artwork is well executed. Quality artwork will get my interest in a big way. I would like to do a photo series on the right model at some point, should the opportunity arise. What trype of images or design did you end up going with?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Aneris wrote:
Sounds familiar again. "I think that insults and appeal to emotion are a perfect substitute for rationality and arguments, I can shout down everyone else, but when someone goes meta on my behavior it's 'tone trolling'".
And check your privilege
The author...(I just clicked his public user name)
http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/d1cf645fbe ... avatar&r=G

These Emo Kids. So much hate. :(
Seriously. It makes no sense. How can you get made at people who "tone-troll" then say all sorts of dumb things to try and free people from thinking? Gross. I love his Remedial Social Justice ideas. Men are privileged when it comes to abortion because they don't get pregnant and thus don't have control over the decision. Wait, what? I just defrosted a dozen breast milk ice cubes to feed my squalling kid. Am I privileged? Or my kid? Or the breast milk cubes? Please Hailfhisgdfnskdhd tell me what to think and feel!

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:
welch wrote:

Oh wait, no i won't.

To be honest, if being considered a decent sort by these folks means twonks like you put me in the PeeZus bin? PeeZus better move the fuck over and get ready for some loud shit.

Is that you with the misogynist hat on, John?
No, i'm the tit in orange just to the left of him because i completely screwed up and brought the wrong shirt. Guy in the racist hat is the announcer. Good dude, another Gulf War I vet. It's a really good crew who work insanely hard. I help out with things like track setup and the like. But every bout, there's an assload of skaters there helping, and then afterwards, they're still there, dead tired and sore as hell, helping put the track and everything else away so we can all make it to the after party, where there is leg wrestling and karaoke.

Tip: Don't leg wrestle with people who skate 20+ miles a week and practice hip-checking people into next tuesday. Yer gonna lose. Although watching the FSU dudebros try is awesome. Especially when they try it on one of the jammers like low (front row, third from the left) who is like 5'2", and it's all muscle. She could probably kick through steel. Watched her embarrass the hell out of a muscleboy a foot taller than her.

Also, they can out drink pretty much anyone.

Mr Danksworth

Post by Mr Danksworth »

welch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:Just got round to reading Queen Bee's rage tear rant about SWSX. I had a good chuckle at how she cried about the audience giving the guy standing at the mic a better round of applause than hers.

You can almost hear her under her breath saying: THE INSOLENCE!
She's really not used to places where she's just another panelist.
Her expected wave of reddit hate hasn't materialized. She has to keep poking. Unfortunately for her the average reddit user knows an SRSer when they see them and knows that ignoring them is the best option.

welch

Post by welch »

codelette wrote:
Aneris wrote: 1. Abortion Is Neither A Debate Nor A Thought Experiment
What was the reasoning behind abortion not being open to debate?
Why should men not talk about abortion? Abortion is not only an issue of women reproductive rights; it is also an issue of medical ethics. So, it is an issue that compels everyone to one level or the other.
I had a therapeutic abortion a few years ago. I was married, so while I had the last word on having the procedure performed; it was an issue to be discussed as a couple. I identified as a pro-choice person before the procedure. Now, I identify as pro-abortion (started thinking that pro-choice and pro-life are just euphemisms). Ironically, when I was "pro-choice" I was very b&w when it came to the topic. After the abortion, I started seeing the many shades of gray on the pro vs anti-abortion debates. I started thinking more about what is it that decides personhood. Is it viability? Since modern medical technology allows younger and younger fetuses to survive outside the womb...to which point will abortion be consider murder?
I had actually had very interesting debates with both women and men over the topic. Specifically issues like the requirement for a TV ultrasound, third trimester abortions and parental permission for pregnancy termination.

I think in halfassed's world, men's job is to bobblehead along with whatever women say on the subject. Unless the woman is badthinking.

DeepInsideYourMind

Zenspace wrote: Which is fine. I do not have an automatic negative response to them anymore, me reaction tends towards low level curiousity and is pretty neutral provided the artwork is well executed. Quality artwork will get my interest in a big way. I would like to do a photo series on the right model at some point, should the opportunity arise. What trype of images or design did you end up going with?
Mine are abstract tribal lattice over one shoulder and arm ... and a tribal abstract dragon on the other ... I saw a style I liked, drew them up, got a tattoo artist to finalise and perfect them ... and had them done. 12 hours of sitting in pain, all because I just decided to do them one day :)

welch

Post by welch »

codelette wrote:PPS. Don't have any tattoos. Love men with tattoos -specially the man I trapped-. Lower back tattoos: the problem is not the placement, it is usually the art what cheapens it (too many tacky tribals, butterflies, flowers, stars and stupid dolphins to raise its cache).

I just always love WASPS with maori tribal tattoos. I told one guy who would not let me NOT know the fucking history of it all "Look dude, you're a fucking protestant from Long Island. The only "tribal" emblem that would be even VAGUELY appropriate for you is a highball glass poking through a Mercedes-Benz logo. You're not fucking Maori, that's not your fucking tribe, now piss off."

funny, he didn't seem too happy about my analysis. ah well.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

@codelette
codelette wrote:
EdwardGemmer, summarizing another view wrote: 1. Abortion Is Neither A Debate Nor A Thought Experiment
Fixed! The quote was taken from EdwardGemmer, who summarized yet another view from the link he provided. So these views aren't mine (or his).
codelette wrote:What was the reasoning behind abortion not being open to debate?

I think the reason why this all came up today was because of Richard Dawkins, who had a happy tweet day on abortion. Good timing, Richard, on the pope election day. Everyone better restock on popcorn! You'll need it once the Fainting Couch & Friends get wind of it.

Two of my friends had abortions for entirely different reason. It was a bit of an issue issue for one, but the other appeared to be rather casual about it. I have my views on it, but I think its none of societies business (or mine) to poke their nose into very personal matters, so I usually don't like discussing it in great deal. Ultimately, the pregnant has to carry it out. It's her body so she gets to decide what she wants to do with it. This includes that she is also responsible for including the father, or her partner. Morally, I am consequentialist like Dawkins, so abortion is not an issue up until a certain point.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
TheMan wrote:
decius wrote:

People tell me my music's too fucking loud all the time.

"You'll hurt your hearing"
"Really? Because I think over half a decade with my head shoved up a B-1's ass PROBABLY did more to my hearing than "Satan State" played too loud."
"Just trying to help preserve your hearing"
"For what? So I can not listen to music I like at the volume I want? So I can hear shit I don't care about spoken softly? What the fuck am I saving it for? If I'm going to be deaf when I'm 90, then fuck, I want to be able to say "Yeah, I blew that shit out on loud music and jet engines, and IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!" What else is hearing for?"
"You'll miss hearing your wife say she loves you"
"Nonsense. She tells me that every morning just by still being next to me. I'll look at her, remember her voice, then tell her I love her entirely too loud, and it will be FUCKING AWESOME. Of course, knowing her, she'll be just as fucking deaf too. So there."

I do the sensible things. I exercise, I try to eat sensibly, but fuck, I don't get this "sit quietly, move slowly, and worry about everything" shit. Fuck that. I didn't survive my first 46 years to spend the next 46 in a corner afraid of what's to come.

franc

Post by franc »

Guest wrote:
franc wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Apples wrote:In 'merka the 'tramp stamp' tattoo is specifically a lower-back tattoo just above the ass
Yeah, I know what a tramp-stamp is
I call them "beer coasters". For when you're at it doggy style.
Just how gentle are you that you can rest a beer there when you're going for it?
It's just what popped into my head when I first started seeing these tattoos go into monkey-see-monkey-do mode. All of a sudden, they were everywhere. Same as with eyebrow rings - everytime I see one of those I have to resist the compulsion to grab it and twist. I was calling them "beer coasters" before there were any other pop-slang terms for them is all. My mind, my reference. Just added $0.02

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AndrewV69 wrote:I thought that the tattoos were supposed to be visible.
Spence wrote: No, that's not a "thing". That's a rule you just made up. It doesn't exist in the real world.
Erm ... it might be at that but what exactly are "we" talking about at this point? I seem to have lost the plot.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Zenspace wrote: Which is fine. I do not have an automatic negative response to them anymore, me reaction tends towards low level curiousity and is pretty neutral provided the artwork is well executed. Quality artwork will get my interest in a big way. I would like to do a photo series on the right model at some point, should the opportunity arise. What trype of images or design did you end up going with?
Mine are abstract tribal lattice over one shoulder and arm ... and a tribal abstract dragon on the other ... I saw a style I liked, drew them up, got a tattoo artist to finalise and perfect them ... and had them done. 12 hours of sitting in pain, all because I just decided to do them one day :)
Thanks for the description, much appreciated. If I ever get one done, it will very likely involve a stylized dragon of some sort.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Woman I "knew" had a hummingbird next to her *erm* flower. It was cute as hell. (The flower not the tat).

Too misogynist?

franc

Post by franc »

Dilurk wrote:
Apples wrote:In other non-slymepit-infighting not-news-to-anyone, SallySyringe is an idiot:
That's the twitter BS I was watching today. A lot of people crawling out of the woodwork to take unwarranted uneducated swipes at Richard Dawkins. Unbelievable.
"Purge the intellectuals" - it's an inevitable feature of any populist movement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Gumby wrote:
I was wondering where you'd gotten to. Welcome back, and fuck off!*

*The new official Pit greeting, in case you weren't aware.
A kindly fuck off to you too! :)

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Apples

Post by Apples »

LMAO - Twitter suggested that "Ophie" follow "Cunt of the Day," about which she is predictably indignant. But then she posts screenshots - today's "Cunt of the Day" is the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, yesterday was Kim Jong Un, etc. No women. So she obviously thought it was funny enough to repost, and there's obviously nothing misogynistic about it. But, Ophie being Ophie, she will not be moved. :D
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... theday.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... n-du-jour/
http://www.freezepage.com/1363224066IPQMRRPJET

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tattoos, like them, dislike them? Would you fuck a girl with tats or is she a whore? Answers in a bottle thrown off a very remote cliff.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

codelette wrote:I had actually had very interesting debates with both women and men over the topic. Specifically issues like the requirement for a TV ultrasound, third trimester abortions and parental permission for pregnancy termination.

It can be a pretty heated and emotional topic for sure.

I was (and still am pro-choice). However, what took me by surprise was my visceral reaction when my girlfriend at the time thought she was preggers and said she wanted an abortion.

It is one thing I suppose to have a position in theory, but quite another when you are personally involved. I did offer to pay, but fortunately it was a false alarm.

But it was a wedge between us from my end at any rate, and one of the reasons for us breaking up (although I never mentioned it).

I never got involved in abortion debates after that.

DGS

Post by DGS »

AndrewV69 wrote:
codelette wrote:I had actually had very interesting debates with both women and men over the topic. Specifically issues like the requirement for a TV ultrasound, third trimester abortions and parental permission for pregnancy termination.

It can be a pretty heated and emotional topic for sure.

I was (and still am pro-choice). However, what took me by surprise was my visceral reaction when my girlfriend at the time thought she was preggers and said she wanted an abortion.

It is one thing I suppose to have a position in theory, but quite another when you are personally involved. I did offer to pay, but fortunately it was a false alarm.

But it was a wedge between us from my end at any rate, and one of the reasons for us breaking up (although I never mentioned it).

I never got involved in abortion debates after that.
Yes. Tricky things... There's a fallacy to describe this. It's not Hume's is/ought - though it is similar...but it's late....

ConcentratedH2O, OM

welch wrote:
You forgot this at the end: "[/rebeccawatson]".

Pffft.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote: Yeah. I kind of have a hard time taking "tramp stamp = only good for one night stands" seriously. Given the numbers of women with them, I don't see how that actually works out.
Just to be clear, this is what I consider to be a "tramp stamp"
http://0.tqn.com/d/tattoo/1/G/V/B/julieback.jpg

The issue I have with a "tramp stamp" after some reflection, appears to be more of a class issue with me. I do not ever see myself ever setting up house with a woman who has one. Perhaps if she had a small discreet tattoo with minimal visibility I might overlook it. But a woman like Angelina Jolie for example is quite simply, completely out of the question. For me it is a deal breaker.

The same for a "promiscuous" woman. I might fuck her but I am not going to marry her, or even live with her. I have no problem boffing any number of these girls, but I never bring them home. Even living with one, never mind marriage is out of the question.

The girls give every appearance of giving it up without commitment, and this suits me, since I have an issue with making false promises, and the type of woman who I could live with comfortably also not only appears to be scarce, but do not interest me sexually.

So the above reveals my inherent double standards towards women (men get a pass on the tatoos and sluttiness). I am also comfortable with it just in case anyone is wondering if this is some sort of mea culpa.

I am right now thanking whatever was responsible that my dad was considerably more mature in his views, else I might be stuck with that virgin/whore idiocy you seem to have completely bought into.

"Dad, some friends of mine said that if a girl puts out on the first date, you shouldn't see her anymore"

"Kiddo, I can tell you two things about your friends: first, they are idiots, and secondly, I doubt that's a real problem for them"

<puzzled look>

"Sigh...look, here's the deal. More dates, more good times have been ruined in the history of dating by the "will i get laid" question than any other factor. So if she likes you and puts out on the first date, you should absolutely date her again. For one, turning her down because she did something that ostensibly you were completely in favor of is hypocritical, stupid, and mean.

For another, if she slept with you once, the chances of it happening a second time, ESPECIALLY if she's willing to go out with you again are not only rather high, but you don't have to try so goddamned hard, and maybe, just maybe, you can go have a good time and enjoy hanging out with her for the rest of who and what she is. As it turns out, when they are dating someone who likes *them* and not just their "mysterious parts", with whom they can actually go and have a genuinely good time, the chances of them wanting to have sex with that person go waaaaaaaay up. All you have to do is not be an idiot. Hard job, but worth the effort.

Finally, and this sounds bad, but it's true: there are few, *damned* few women for whom sex is not been turned into some kind of gauntlet through which they run all men. If you are *ever* fortunate enough to get into a relationship with one, thank your lucky damned stars, and hope your innate stupidity doesn't screw it all up.

Also, you need new friends. Your current ones appear to be defective."

I've always had the fortune to date women who know what they want, when they want it, and are unashamed to be proactive in getting it. They are all, to a person, wonderful people, and we need more of them, not less.
I know I'm a couple of pages behind, but I must say that I would like to buy your father a beer and subscribe to his newsletter.

DGS

Post by DGS »

Anyone recently revisited Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan essay on the abortion debate. I've not read it in a while so can't rightly comment. Here it is (can't vouch for the website that's hosting it - but it is hosting it, which is a +)

http://2think.org/abortion.shtml

DGS

Post by DGS »

"is a plus" I meant. Not a+.= as in.....

See how easily that happened?! ...Scary!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Spence wrote:Well, here's me not sticking the flounce.
Welcome back!
Spence wrote: And that cuts both ways, whether it is the Setard sneering at wealthy people or you sneering at people with tattoos or spendthrift sluts. I see no difference. You both lack the ability to see beyond the veneer society paints people with.
Hmmm. So many people think I am sneering at "tats". I actually have no problem with what you said above or below except for the bit I underlined.
Spence wrote: So when I compare your model of the human race, which seems to revolve around class and fashions, or being poor or slutty in the case of the Churchills, and my model of the human race, which revolves around who is an idiot and who isn't, I conclude that your model sucks, and your "tip" is about as useful as herpes. And I'm not talking about the cancer-curing variety there, before Abbie takes me to task.
Actually, I think most people are dumber than a bag of hammers on at least one subject, and no I am not exempting myself, nor you for that matter.

Patrick

Post by Patrick »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Anything.

A-n-y-t-h-i-n-g...except those fucking earlobe expanders.
I want to be cool enough to disagree with you, but I can't manage it.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote:Tattoos, like them, dislike them? Would you fuck a girl with tats or is she a whore? Answers in a bottle thrown off a very remote cliff.
A stiff prick does not care.

cunt

Post by cunt »

*points to the cliff*

DeepInsideYourMind

cliff.jpeg
(6.83 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

welch

Post by welch »

It'd be cooler if it was on his hand. And then the hand had a tattoo...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apparently, someone had a lot of fun with Jay Leno recently.
o-HALLE-BERRY-CLEAVAGE-570.jpg
(131.1 KiB) Downloaded 192 times
(No, I would not fuck Halle either. I am sure she will get over it like Angelina though. Trust me on this).

welch

Post by welch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
welch wrote:
You forgot this at the end: "[/rebeccawatson]".

Pffft.
I'll put any of them up against becky any day, and spot her five rounds of jager shots.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

EdwardGemmer wrote:Seriously. It makes no sense. How can you get made at people who "tone-troll" then say all sorts of dumb things to try and free people from thinking? Gross. I love his Remedial Social Justice ideas. Men are privileged when it comes to abortion because they don't get pregnant and thus don't have control over the decision. Wait, what? I just defrosted a dozen breast milk ice cubes to feed my squalling kid. Am I privileged? Or my kid? Or the breast milk cubes? Please Hailfhisgdfnskdhd tell me what to think and feel!
I hope the "you" wasn't addressed at me, as its not my view at all (there was also a quote fuckup above, due to my copypasta). Franc, in a related context beat me to it. They are anti-intellectual and I get an authoritarian vibe from them as well, with a good dose of 1984. Tone troll is a good example.

welch

Post by welch »

Patrick wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
welch wrote: Yeah. I kind of have a hard time taking "tramp stamp = only good for one night stands" seriously. Given the numbers of women with them, I don't see how that actually works out.
Just to be clear, this is what I consider to be a "tramp stamp"
http://0.tqn.com/d/tattoo/1/G/V/B/julieback.jpg

The issue I have with a "tramp stamp" after some reflection, appears to be more of a class issue with me. I do not ever see myself ever setting up house with a woman who has one. Perhaps if she had a small discreet tattoo with minimal visibility I might overlook it. But a woman like Angelina Jolie for example is quite simply, completely out of the question. For me it is a deal breaker.

The same for a "promiscuous" woman. I might fuck her but I am not going to marry her, or even live with her. I have no problem boffing any number of these girls, but I never bring them home. Even living with one, never mind marriage is out of the question.

The girls give every appearance of giving it up without commitment, and this suits me, since I have an issue with making false promises, and the type of woman who I could live with comfortably also not only appears to be scarce, but do not interest me sexually.

So the above reveals my inherent double standards towards women (men get a pass on the tatoos and sluttiness). I am also comfortable with it just in case anyone is wondering if this is some sort of mea culpa.

I am right now thanking whatever was responsible that my dad was considerably more mature in his views, else I might be stuck with that virgin/whore idiocy you seem to have completely bought into.

"Dad, some friends of mine said that if a girl puts out on the first date, you shouldn't see her anymore"

"Kiddo, I can tell you two things about your friends: first, they are idiots, and secondly, I doubt that's a real problem for them"

<puzzled look>

"Sigh...look, here's the deal. More dates, more good times have been ruined in the history of dating by the "will i get laid" question than any other factor. So if she likes you and puts out on the first date, you should absolutely date her again. For one, turning her down because she did something that ostensibly you were completely in favor of is hypocritical, stupid, and mean.

For another, if she slept with you once, the chances of it happening a second time, ESPECIALLY if she's willing to go out with you again are not only rather high, but you don't have to try so goddamned hard, and maybe, just maybe, you can go have a good time and enjoy hanging out with her for the rest of who and what she is. As it turns out, when they are dating someone who likes *them* and not just their "mysterious parts", with whom they can actually go and have a genuinely good time, the chances of them wanting to have sex with that person go waaaaaaaay up. All you have to do is not be an idiot. Hard job, but worth the effort.

Finally, and this sounds bad, but it's true: there are few, *damned* few women for whom sex is not been turned into some kind of gauntlet through which they run all men. If you are *ever* fortunate enough to get into a relationship with one, thank your lucky damned stars, and hope your innate stupidity doesn't screw it all up.

Also, you need new friends. Your current ones appear to be defective."

I've always had the fortune to date women who know what they want, when they want it, and are unashamed to be proactive in getting it. They are all, to a person, wonderful people, and we need more of them, not less.
I know I'm a couple of pages behind, but I must say that I would like to buy your father a beer and subscribe to his newsletter.
LOL. As he's dead, that might be a trick. He had his moments, but he also crawled into a bottle before I was born. High-functioning, but yeah. Also, the "being trained as a POW interrogator during the Korean War" was regularly not fun. But when he hadn't started on the case du jour, or wasn't too deep into it, the old bastard had a remarkably pragmatic and practical view of things. We would walk to the local convenience store and just talk about stuff. He was going to buy beer of course, but the chats made the later yelling worth the effort.

he liked to watch people, and when he saw them doing shit that seemed stupid, he tried not to do that. But he had a massive blind spot about beer, (and fuck me widdershins, he liked the SHITTIEST beer. Old Millwaulkee. SCHAFER! GENERIC BEER IN A WHITE CAN THAT JUST SAID BEER!! Some of it I swear was functionally non-alcoholic and it was all placebo), and that blind spot was regularly less than fun.

But that's how it tends to be. people are rarely conveniently so constantly shitty that you can easily dismiss them. They keep having these brilliant wonderful moments, just enough to make the sucky times even more awful.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Re tattoos and body confidence--

No tats, but I have a collection of birthmarks. Every time I go to a new physician, they ask if they can bring in all their colleagues to check them out (as a nerd, I fully appreciate them being excited to see something theyve only seen in textbooks).

I didnt 'get it' until I was older, but my parents never made a big deal about them. They aint pretty, but Mom was never 'you have to wear pants/long skirts/etc to cover them up!' so they werent a big deal to me, and werent a big deal to my friends. I cannot think of one instance where I was ever teased/made fun of for them, nor have my sexual partners ever been anything but mildly curious at first, and then over it.

Whatshername Skepchick really does need to get some self confidence in her body. Self loathing cannot be healthy.

decius

Post by decius »

Welcome back, K.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

AndrewV69 wrote:(No, I would not fuck Halle either. I am sure she will get over it like Angelina though. Trust me on this).
At the risk of sounding slightly crude...I'd lick her toilet parts down to the bone.

Just saying... ;)

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:Re tattoos and body confidence--

No tats, but I have a collection of birthmarks. Every time I go to a new physician, they ask if they can bring in all their colleagues to check them out (as a nerd, I fully appreciate them being excited to see something theyve only seen in textbooks).

I didnt 'get it' until I was older, but my parents never made a big deal about them. They aint pretty, but Mom was never 'you have to wear pants/long skirts/etc to cover them up!' so they werent a big deal to me, and werent a big deal to my friends. I cannot think of one instance where I was ever teased/made fun of for them, nor have my sexual partners ever been anything but mildly curious at first, and then over it.

Whatshername Skepchick really does need to get some self confidence in her body. Self loathing cannot be healthy.
if i read that article right, she seems to be claiming a nigh-god-given right to hate herself.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

With that much bong smoke, I'm not surprised.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Seeing as the topic of abortion was raised recently, some may be interested. From GendEratic :

FEMALE PRIVILEGE – Women’s control over men’s reproduction
http://www.genderratic.com/p/2655/femal ... roduction/
Just a quick little round-up, one day’s fishing, of examples of a woman’s control over a man’s reproduction, or in one case, her power to force him to subsidize her reproductive choices for children that are not even his

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

FYI: Typhon Blue has a short video up titled "Threat Narrative".

[youtube]Uy3SKPWjWeM[/youtube]