Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Lurkion

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Lurkion »

Holy shit.

Read this:

http://judgybitch.com/2013/03/19/two-tr ... e-outside/

I heard OB was promoting this site. Talk about a fucking rape culture and victim-blaming.

Is there a rape culture in modern feminism?

Holy shit.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

welch wrote:They say that anyway. Where's the requirement of proof for any of their claims?
Not about us. Not about them. About the mainstream onlookers. Can she win sympathy because Tuvok didn't bother to make a rock-solid defense? Or will going for sympathy make her look the fool because Tuvok's already got a rock-solid defense, and she knows it, and so she doesn't even bother to push that play.
Why even venture *into* the trap when you can walk right past it?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

BarnOwl wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: We wish (on the foot issue). He has the sort of pain where, when he's without his boots and walks around bare-footed or in socks, every tiny bit of grit on the floor feels like stepping on glass and nails. I'm sure there's a term for it but I can't think of it. Chemo would have made this even worse for him. Not a good thought at all.

Sooo! We're all on board with and happy about having just a bit of radiation. After that, smooth sailing :D
From a neuroscientist (not a clinician) perspective, that would be called allodynia, i.e. perceiving an innocuous stimulus (touch, pressure, etc.) as a painful one. I don't know how often that particular term is used clinically, but I've heard the phenomenon described as part of several different clinical syndromes. One case is for neurofibromatosis type 1 patients, who often experience innocuous touch and pressure as painful, especially (but not always limited to) in areas where they have the benign cutaneous tumors. Another case is for people with trigeminal neuralgia, and a third for people who've had peripheral nerve injury, when the nerve endings are regenerating. These examples are all based on diseases or injuries that affect peripheral nerves, and there are probably examples of allodynia for diseases or injuries in the central nervous system.
Thanks for the info. I know my father had some amount of foot pain with his diabetes before his feet went pretty much numb. I was worried that was my guy's issue but he's been tested for diabetes with nothing indicated. As I said, we'll check it out after all this cancer stuff has been beaten into the ground.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Where's she promoting that site? Judgybitch is the same one Andrewv69 was citing as proof that the best thing a smart woman can do is have boys.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Spence wrote:... Apparently, the religious twunts have taken their cue from ...
'Twunts upon a time, ...

'Twunts, contraction "It was once"

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dilurk wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Altair wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:WOO-FUCKING-HOO! My guy doesn't have to do chemo :D It looks like radiation should be enough and they actually believe they *may* have gotten it all with the operation he had 2 months back. Still, the radiation is a precautionary thing and, to be honest, way better than what would happen with a combo of that *and* chemo (he has major pain in his feet right now and chemo would make it worse). So, phew! Good news and I wanted to share :D
Great news :D

Just a bit of radiation then? Pffft

You say he has pain in his feet - sounds like a cheap shoe problem.
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4951/hulksj.jpg
LOL! I'm going to have to print that out and give it to my guy. He'll appreciate the humor :D
Is this why you were bruised all over the other night?
Snort. Ok, that sounds better than "I'm occasionally really fucking clumsy, slammed my knee into my desk, then later on attempted to side-wrestle the door" :D

Apples

Post by Apples »

rocko2466 wrote:Holy shit.

Read this:

I heard OB was promoting this site. Talk about a fucking rape culture and victim-blaming.

Holy shit.
:) Not promoting. She was condemning it - she copy-pasta'd the post on Steubenville. I put "promote" in scare-quotes -- same way she "promotes" the 'Pit all the time by talking about it constantly.

B/t/w - you got any dramatic readings/musical numbers in the work?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

rocko2466 wrote:Holy shit.

Read this:

Holy shit.
It appears to be fake. The links in the blog are to the home page of CNN. I can find nothing else on "the Bensonville rape case" via google.

I'm calling fake or poe.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Ah, it is a dark satire. It's comparing the Steubenville rape to what the reaction would be if the genders were reversed.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ReneeHendricks wrote: Thanks for the info. I know my father had some amount of foot pain with his diabetes before his feet went pretty much numb. I was worried that was my guy's issue but he's been tested for diabetes with nothing indicated. As I said, we'll check it out after all this cancer stuff has been beaten into the ground.
Wouldn't hurt to ask your guy's oncologist if the foot pain could be related to the anesthesia he had during surgery, or to one of the medications he's taking. People respond to anesthesia in all kinds of different ways, and fortunately I think most of the reactions are temporary.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Did anyone else catch Matt Penfolds impressive bellyflop to back-flip as he attempted to explain new UK rape laws to pharyngulites who think that even evidence presented by the prosecution sets a dangerous precedent?

To be fair, he did call a couple of rape victims liars for not immediately understanding the nuances of a case, and is a total cunt anyway.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Wonderist - you concern is noted. Thanks, really!!! [/snark] The fact is, however, they already push an agenda that anyone posting at the Pit is a misogynist, rape-enabling, MRA stalker. So Y U concerned about them making other stuff up as well? Why are you giving them the slightest benefit of the doubt about this rebutted claim of "libel"?
Concerned? What makes you think that? I already said it's no skin off my nose. I'm just calling it like I see it. Same way I called Nugent being legit, and called him getting turned on by the FTBers. Same way I called that Eight Choices thread as being more juicy than it seemed, early on. Same way I called Ophelia getting frazzled by my two year old comment. I call things as I see them. You're absolutely 100% free to ignore the fuck out of me. I care not. I'll still call things as I see them, though. Ask franc. Ask welch. Or don't.

The libel thing affects me directly not at all. I only see it as a pointless distraction you're getting caught up in for no useful reason. You could lliterally end the entire thing in less than 30 minutes by either a) putting together a rock-solid post and publicly posting the URL to warn Ophelia off of pursuing this trap, b) failing that, instead post a public apology according to whatever Irish law calls for, or c) some other option you might come up with that's even better than those, but which actually succeeds in circumventing the trap altogether. I'm only pointing out a) and b) as two options. You don't want to take them, that's your choice. Don't take them.

If it was me, I wouldn't have spent the last umpteen hours arguing with Steersman over whether it's libel or not, that's completely missing the point. I would have just dealt with the trap by circumventing it. Giving me those umpteen hours to do other things. Life is short. Why waste it on nonsense when you have other options that completely bypass the nonsense?

Why I call things as I see them (and I'm not always right, of course! I way overestimated Richard Carrier's ability to extract himself from dogmatic thinking)? To test my own predictions. If I don't call it before it happens, I would be prone to confirmation bias, thinking, "Oh I '*knew* that would happen," when that's just a bullshit human bias setting in. About predictions: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/18962

Why am I spending 'umpteen hours' telling you about all this? I'm not just telling you, I'm telling everyone reading this. Time well spent, IMO. It's not about you or me or them. There's bigger shit at play here than our little egos.

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:Did anyone else catch Matt Penfolds impressive bellyflop to back-flip as he attempted to explain new UK rape laws to pharyngulites who think that even evidence presented by the prosecution sets a dangerous precedent?

To be fair, he did call a couple of rape victims liars for not immediately understanding the nuances of a case, and is a total cunt anyway.
Yeah I read that thread. Caine and Pteryxx were, I think, being slightly obtuse, but then he was immediately a dick and idiotically suggested they wanted rape victims to go free. He probably would have gotten away with it on many other subjects. He was "right" in an important sense, but politically it was suicide - Do Not Call Women Liars In A Thread About Rape. In the wake of it, Thunderdome has now turned into a version of the Lounge with Caine and Ogvorbis holding court, Caine (having taken sedatives) receiving congratulations for surviving the tragic blog-thread, and *safe-ankle-hugs* everywhere you look.

For those interested, the offending thread in which Matt Penfold became the latest Pharyngulite to go from respected regular to evil sociopath in the space of a few hours on a rape thread: starting at comment 78 - http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ure-exists

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

This moves too fast for me to stay current, but this exchange (With EU's reply at the end) made me laugh:
http://i.imgur.com/AFmL2Az.png Too big as an image, didn't feel like splitting it)

Pertinent text:
HJ Hornbeck March 19, 2013 at 2:56 pm
“Thank you to everyone who has, either publicly or privately, welcomed the dialogue taking place here and elsewhere on how to move beyond the rifts in the atheist and skeptic communities.”

I don’t see much dialog here, Nugent. Dialog requires listening and understanding to be truly effective. The IRA was fighting for Irish independence from Britain; the Brits were trying to maintain law and order, and protect those citizens who didn’t want to be independent. Both sides thought they were doing the right thing. The hostilities only died down when both sides demonstrated they understood what the other wanted, by acknowledging it via the Good Friday Agreement and other treaties.

What I see here is a lot of “Myers called me a nasty word!” or “Benson’s commenters are saying mean things!” That’s not understanding, that’s blind repetition. WHY did Myers call the Slyme Pit and allies “shrieking slimeweasels?” He wouldn’t say it if he didn’t think it was true. What evidence led him to conclude that? Once you can understand where he’s coming from, he stops being a demon who’s hijacked all of atheism, and instead becomes someone you can negotiate with.

#41 Eu March 19, 2013 at 3:58 pm
That’s hilarious. Sometimes, when you piss someone off, you don’t mind saying negative shit about them and insulting them, making inaccurate or unfair statements about them, or even just lying.

“Hurdur why would someone say something about people they dont like if they dont think that.” -Born Yesterday

welch

Post by welch »

LMU wrote:Ah nevermind my last post, Dan L. clarified. Apparently lee coye was a MRA not a SP.
Oh he's still an SP in the Hubbardian sense. Just not from here.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

BarnOwl wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote: Thanks for the info. I know my father had some amount of foot pain with his diabetes before his feet went pretty much numb. I was worried that was my guy's issue but he's been tested for diabetes with nothing indicated. As I said, we'll check it out after all this cancer stuff has been beaten into the ground.
Wouldn't hurt to ask your guy's oncologist if the foot pain could be related to the anesthesia he had during surgery, or to one of the medications he's taking. People respond to anesthesia in all kinds of different ways, and fortunately I think most of the reactions are temporary.
He's actually had the foot pain for a number of years - at least as long as I've known him (8 years). It's something he's just stoically dealt with. Don't know how he does it as I'd be a whining bitch.

welch

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:All I have to say at the moment about Svanny's current whiny-ass and misleading post is that the only illiterate assholes I've seen recently who seem to think that "dialog" is the proper spelling of "dialogue" are doubthat and Svan.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... le-dialog/
http://www.freezepage.com/1363739052XDQRGZDMGC

It is if you're talking about the computer UI element, aka "the dialog box"*

But if you mean people talking to each other, no, you have to use the "ue" on the end.

*stupid trivia for those who used Apple stuff prior to OS X...that black and white scary dialog that would pop up, usually with a bomb icon? That was the "DS Dialog". So called because if you saw it, you were in Deep Shit.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Thunderdome has now turned into a version of the Lounge with Caine and Ogvorbis holding court, Caine (having taken sedatives) receiving congratulations for surviving the tragic blog-thread, and *safe-ankle-hugs* everywhere you look.
Thunderdome is always a version of the lounge. Just occasionally they get lucky and find somebody there who doesn't just tell them to straight up fuck themselves. Yeah, though he was right in the important sense, but after calling Caine a liar. No way was he going to be listened to.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Lovely drama anyway. Feed me seymour.

welch

Post by welch »

Christ you stupid fat fuck, GET SPONSORS, ACTUAL SPONSORS THAT PAY YOU FUCKING MONEY.

For christ's sake, it is not that goddamned hard to pay bandwidth bills. If you want to save more money, host the entire thing out of Amazon S3. This is not that hard, and in theory, he has an actual IT person working for him, although I think Bieber's definition of "IT" is "I wrote a crontab once".

This is what happens when you have people who understand neither business or technology running a technology business. Every day, MILLIONS of web sites with higher volume than that wart on a hog's ass manage to stay afloat with ease.

This, by the way, is why FTB will not be a worry for long. Because it is run by incompetent fuckwits who, rather than analyzing their situation with proper SMEs, instead careen from one magic pony to another.

I'd just like to note for the record that early on, I did in fact try to offer some reasonably helpful solutions to brayton. I did in fact, try to fucking help.

But what, after all, would *I* know.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Incidentally, Chris Clarke had this to say in Thunderdome about the Penfold debacle:

"Matt definitely wins the Schwyzer for his performance today."

and PZ is also on record about Schwyzer's being a total creep:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -betrayal/

Which makes it HIGHlarious that Melody Hensley and Scurvy Amy have such a crush on him:

cunt

Post by cunt »

Chris Clarke threatening to ban, but not actually daring to was one of my favourite things about that thread. Is this the hill you want to die on? I'll totally check with PZ if its okay to ban you!!

cunt

Post by cunt »

Chris Clarke threatening to ban, but not actually daring to was one of my favourite things about that thread. Is this the hill you want to die on? I'll totally check with PZ if its okay to ban you!!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Looks like Peezus is taking a beating on Shakesville for not being a real feminist. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:
welch wrote: "...claiming such terms as <blah> were not taken up and used frequently by the baboons and their followers."

First, let's understand that for Ophelia to prove libel, she's going to need a lot of good lawyers. She's a public person, in the US, that makes libel/slander accusations many orders of magnitude harder. Ask Britney Spears.
Trap. She doesn't have to prove libel. She doesn't have to prove 'threats', either. She just has to make it look plausible. "If I *could* afford to sue him, I would so win." "Oh, Ophelia, you brave soul. Donation!" and "That lousy libelling Tuvok, rant rant rant <spreads claim on Twitter, Facebook, etc>" It's a PR thing, not a legal thing.
Trap break. Ophie doesn't have a tenth the juice required to pull that off. I know it seems that way, but really, once you stop paying direct attention to FTB, she, and all the others, fade away. Marcotte might have been able to pre-duke lacrosse, but she's poisoned her own well so thoroughly that only her fans take her seriously. Now Rachel Maddow gets pissed at you, well, worry. If the point of her trap is to up her donations, that's really the stupidest trap ever, since how does that affect Tuvok? Twitter? A *little* more but in terms of general Searching, twitter has, like facebook, largely cut Google out. I just did a search on my own twitter handle, and the majority of hits come from crap like storify and favstar.

Facebook doesn't fucking exist for Google, and Facebook is FINE with that.
Wonderist wrote:
I'm unsure how Tuvok is wrong here.
He doesn't even have to be wrong. He just has to look plausibly wrong in the eyes of the mainstream onlookers. Trap.
What fucking mainstream? Dude, seriously, in the wide world out there, FTB doesn't fucking exist.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

katamari Damassi wrote:Looks like Peezus is taking a beating on Shakesville for not being a real feminist. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
The word is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:
welch wrote:They say that anyway. Where's the requirement of proof for any of their claims?
Not about us. Not about them. About the mainstream onlookers. Can she win sympathy because Tuvok didn't bother to make a rock-solid defense? Or will going for sympathy make her look the fool because Tuvok's already got a rock-solid defense, and she knows it, and so she doesn't even bother to push that play.
You are very, very, delusioned about the influence of these tits outside of their site.

cunt

Post by cunt »

katamari Damassi wrote:Looks like Peezus is taking a beating on Shakesville for not being a real feminist. I'm not sure how I feel about this.
I spit in your coffin?

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
He's actually had the foot pain for a number of years - at least as long as I've known him (8 years). It's something he's just stoically dealt with. Don't know how he does it as I'd be a whining bitch.
stoic is nice, but has he ever tried to fix it?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

welch wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
You are very, very, delusioned about the influence of these tits outside of their site.
You are not thinking long term enough. This is like trying to contain an epidemic from becoming a pandemic. The proto-radfem ideas are widespread in the public, including the atheist/skeptic communities. They don't have influence *now*. Scientology didn't have much influence in the 60s. Let's not wait for their version of David Miscavige before we take this shit seriously. We're already almost there. I just want to push it all the way to completion. Get everyone vaccinated, so we have herd immunity to this dogma.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
stoic is nice, but has he ever tried to fix it?
Nope. He's not the easiest person to get in to see a doctor. It's next on my checklist after this other stuff is taken care of. Gotta say, it's really hard to "nag/henpeck" without coming across as "nagging/henpecking" LOL

welch

Post by welch »

[youtube]rX7wtNOkuHo[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:
welch wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
You are not thinking long term enough. This is like trying to contain an epidemic from becoming a pandemic. The proto-radfem ideas are widespread in the public, including the atheist/skeptic communities. They don't have influence *now*. Scientology didn't have much influence in the 60s. Let's not wait for their version of David Miscavige before we take this shit seriously. We're already almost there. I just want to push it all the way to completion. Get everyone vaccinated, so we have herd immunity to this dogma.
Dude, seriously, I live in a world full of New Media Douchebags that get invited to fucking DAVOS. Who get regularly feted by titans of industry, and no longer care about speaking at TED, they've done it too much.

They are moderate fish in a TINY pond, and the people in the ocean don't know they exist.

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:Chris Clarke threatening to ban, but not actually daring to was one of my favourite things about that thread. Is this the hill you want to die on? I'll totally check with PZ if its okay to ban you!!
Yeah - he went from Rambo to "let's talk about pancakes" pretty quickly.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Link?

welch

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:
cunt wrote:Chris Clarke threatening to ban, but not actually daring to was one of my favourite things about that thread. Is this the hill you want to die on? I'll totally check with PZ if its okay to ban you!!
Yeah - he went from Rambo to "let's talk about pancakes" pretty quickly.
Chris Clarke would go full norovirus in his pants if you so much as gave him a cross look.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Plantar fasciitis, maybe? I've had it for years, and it's particularly bad when I've been sitting or lying down for a long period of time, like when driving long distance, and in the morning when I first get out of bed. Two simple things that help: before I get up from sitting or sleeping, I stretch my toes toward my head (dorsiflex my feet) several times, and once or twice a day I roll the soles of my feet over a water-filled soda bottle that I keep in the freezer. The pain from plantar fasciitis can feel very sharp, and when it's bad my feet feel "crunchy."

Apples

Post by Apples »

Apples wrote:
Link?
Never mind - assuming you mean the comments in this thread:

http://www.shakesville.com/2013/03/and- ... pened.html

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

"They are moderate fish in a TINY pond, and the people in the ocean don't know they exist."

Know what else comes from tiny ponds? Cholera. The source is irrelevant, it's the long term risk that's the issue for me.

If the FTB/A+ers are such a non-risk, how did they spring so quickly and widely into action? What makes you think the same dynamic won't come into play in some other corner of the community? You seem to think I think this is a kind of 'end of the world' scenario or something, like overnight we'll be overrun by A+ zombies. That's not it.

This is like the rise of the religious right. In some ways, it's like Scientology. In others it's like the radicalization of early communism. These things take years and decades to develop. But develop they do, if left unchecked. Next thing you know, 20 years have gone by, and WTF?! how did that idiot GW Bush get elected not once, but *twice*? Of course, that's a larger scale than we're dealing with, but the outcome scales down to our sub-culture as well. Want to see Melody Hensley or her next-in-line protege take over CFI in 5, 10 years? No? Neither do I. Who knows what the long term reality will *actually* end up like? It's not about perfect prediction, it's about risks and trends. Why sit by and let things fester? If we leave conditions where people like Hensley can flourish unattended, we shouldn't be surprised when they pop up one day and turn what we've got now into a useless, chaotic mush of internecine squabbling like so many religious schisms. What the fuck good will that do anybody?

Nip. it. in. the. bud.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Intent is not magic. An abject apology from Myers should be forthcoming.... any day now.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Good day to you all. Please consider the following a shameless charity promotion.

Here's the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/SophiesJourney ... nAllergies

My understanding - the little that I have, as I had no idea this condition even existed until a few days ago - is that the poor girl can not eat. She's severely allergic to protein(s).

Feel free to donate but from my perspective it would be great if someone could help me out with info. I've spoken to the parents and they seem to be quite in the dark because of the rarity of the condition. They're finding it hard to get info regarding treatment and research. They are saying that she is the only one in the country with the condition.

Thank you for you time.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

BarnOwl wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Plantar fasciitis, maybe? I've had it for years, and it's particularly bad when I've been sitting or lying down for a long period of time, like when driving long distance, and in the morning when I first get out of bed. Two simple things that help: before I get up from sitting or sleeping, I stretch my toes toward my head (dorsiflex my feet) several times, and once or twice a day I roll the soles of my feet over a water-filled soda bottle that I keep in the freezer. The pain from plantar fasciitis can feel very sharp, and when it's bad my feet feel "crunchy."
A possibility. Whatever it is, I'm going to see if he can get it looked at - it'll take some prodding, I'm sure.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Also, there was talk of a donations website a few - several - many - pages back. The one that the lady used to get 160k to review games.

Would that work for something like this?

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:"They are moderate fish in a TINY pond, and the people in the ocean don't know they exist."

Know what else comes from tiny ponds? Cholera. The source is irrelevant, it's the long term risk that's the issue for me.

If the FTB/A+ers are such a non-risk, how did they spring so quickly and widely into action? What makes you think the same dynamic won't come into play in some other corner of the community? You seem to think I think this is a kind of 'end of the world' scenario or something, like overnight we'll be overrun by A+ zombies. That's not it.
TO WHOM? What, a few hundred people at most? Dude, step the fuck back from this circle jerk for ten minutes. Talk to people who are not involved and ask them "who is ophelia benson". Learn how little they matter.
Wonderist wrote:This is like the rise of the religious right. In some ways, it's like Scientology. In others it's like the radicalization of early communism. These things take years and decades to develop. But develop they do, if left unchecked. Next thing you know, 20 years have gone by, and WTF?! how did that idiot GW Bush get elected not once, but *twice*? Of course, that's a larger scale than we're dealing with, but the outcome scales down to our sub-culture as well. Want to see Melody Hensley or her next-in-line protege take over CFI in 5, 10 years? No? Neither do I. Who knows what the long term reality will *actually* end up like? It's not about perfect prediction, it's about risks and trends. Why sit by and let things fester? If we leave conditions where people like Hensley can flourish unattended, we shouldn't be surprised when they pop up one day and turn what we've got now into a useless, chaotic mush of internecine squabbling like so many religious schisms. What the fuck good will that do anybody?

Nip. it. in. the. bud.
On the best, the fucking BEST day of their lives, the ENTIRE group of people who are skepchick/ftb/A+ fans don't add up to half the population of the religious right in 1970.

Who will be running CFI in ten years? WHO CARES? No one outside of a vanishingly small group too tiny to be a rounding error knows who the fuck that even is, and if you aren't on a college campus, that number drops probably by 2/3rds.

welch

Post by welch »

FrankGrimes wrote:Also, there was talk of a donations website a few - several - many - pages back. The one that the lady used to get 160k to review games.

That was kickstarter, and that takes rather serious PR/Marketing work.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

I should mention that the neurologist who told me about the simple fixes for plantar fasciitis pain has a son who has the condition as well - he's half my age, very stoic, and a professional athlete. Doesn't have anything to do with age, weight, or physical fitness, so it's not a cosmic punishment for hedonistic self-indulgent lazy behavior, or for just hanging in there and getting older. So might as well try a few things to alleviate the pain and discomfort, and then you don't have to hobble around looking like an idiot when you get out of the car after a long drive.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

And the trap continues to close, while Tuvok twiddles his thumbs:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/
http://www.freezepage.com/1363747378IDPBWKEQAF
[quote] Page o’ nonstop monitoring and harassment

Notes and Comment Blog

by Ophelia Benson

March 19

awfuljst

No. But what’s going on at Nugent’s blog is not “critical commentary”; it’s endless repetitive smearing by people such as “tina” and “Eu” and “Jack” and “Trophy” – it might as well be by people such as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, or A and B and C and D. I’m not interested in “dialogue” with people who use anonymity to smear real, named people with no risk to their own reputations.

dumbfuck

Sara E. Mayhew

If it’s libel, it’s illegal, and you should sue, not blog. But Ophelia Benson doesn’t know That’s (not) libel http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -libel/‎

Commentary.

Nonsense. There’s no moral imperative to sue for libel. It’s not true that “if it’s libel, you should sue.” There can be (and are) principled reasons for not suing.

It’s also not true that you should sue and not blog. There can be (and are) principled reasons for blogging, too, just as there are principled reasons for blogging about incessant harassment and monitoring and smearing.

Sara Mayhew is way too preoccupied with me.[quote]

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Called it:
Ophelia Benson

March 19, 2013 at 5:48 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment

Not to mention the principled reasons for not wanting to sue people. Not to mention how would one go about suing “Commander Tuvok” anyway? The cowardly coward is anonymous.

But can I point out that “Commander Tuvok” is libeling me? Certainly.

And Sara Mayhew pays way too much attention to me. I really have no idea why.
Called it, again:
tonyinbatavia

March 19, 2013 at 7:25 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment

And that’s a big CHA-CHING!!! Monies deposited in Ophelia’s account on behalf of Sara E. Mayhew. “You Hate and Obsess Like a Grade A Asshat, Ophelia Profits!”

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

welch wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:Also, there was talk of a donations website a few - several - many - pages back. The one that the lady used to get 160k to review games.

That was kickstarter, and that takes rather serious PR/Marketing work.

Ok thanks. I doubt they have the means but I might run it by them anyway.

welch

Post by welch »

Yes folks. FEAR THE TRAP. Because what might happen?

PEOPLE GIVE OPHELIA BENSON MONEY.

Sweet Cthulu, if that's your idea of a trap, I bet someone popping a balloon makes you shit your drawers.

Apples

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:Intent is not magic. An abject apology from Myers should be forthcoming.... any day now.
Assuming you mean Shakesville - definitely an interesting one to watch. My gut instinct is that if he hears about it he'll apologize.

http://www.duboislc.net/read/Aesop/FarmerSnake.html

Post by Guest »

Just saw this. I think it applies to some of the crap on Nugent's blog.

http://i.imgur.com/4psz6X7.png

Apples

Post by Apples »

Wonderist wrote:And the trap continues to close
What are you getting at? What happens when the trap is sprung?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Wonderist wrote:And the trap continues to close, while Tuvok twiddles his thumbs:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... arassment/
http://www.freezepage.com/1363747378IDPBWKEQAF
Page o’ nonstop monitoring and harassment

Notes and Comment Blog

by Ophelia Benson

March 19

awfuljst

No. But what’s going on at Nugent’s blog is not “critical commentary”; it’s endless repetitive smearing by people such as “tina” and “Eu” and “Jack” and “Trophy” – it might as well be by people such as 1 and 2 and 3 and 4, or A and B and C and D. I’m not interested in “dialogue” with people who use anonymity to smear real, named people with no risk to their own reputations.

dumbfuck

Sara E. Mayhew

If it’s libel, it’s illegal, and you should sue, not blog. But Ophelia Benson doesn’t know That’s (not) libel http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -libel/‎

Commentary.

Nonsense. There’s no moral imperative to sue for libel. It’s not true that “if it’s libel, you should sue.” There can be (and are) principled reasons for not suing.

It’s also not true that you should sue and not blog. There can be (and are) principled reasons for blogging, too, just as there are principled reasons for blogging about incessant harassment and monitoring and smearing.

Sara Mayhew is way too preoccupied with me.
Fucking Eucliwoo gets mentioned, and I don't?

WTF Ophelia? I call you "Batshit Benson" all the time!

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Welch, you haven't been paying attention. It's not about me or you or Ophelia or Tuvok, it's about the mainstream onlookers, watching. In which direction have they been influenced in this exchange? More towards waking up to the reality that a dogma is infesting the atheist/skeptic communities? Or more towards thinking the dogmatists are actually the victims and there really *is* a campaign of hate and harassment against them?

What would the Mick Nugents of the atheist/skeptic world think about this blog post from Ophelia? Wow, Ophelia's gone off the deep end? Or, wow, Ophelia really does seem to have a point?

Take a wild guess.

All of this could have been prevented. Nipped in the bud. Pointless waste of all of your time.

Me pointing out the waste of time? Not a waste of time if it prevents wasted time in the future. Which it will.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Apples wrote:
Ophelia gets free fodder for her victim complex and to influence the mainstream more toward her way of thinking, and further from skepticism of her ideology. Effortless victim cred, courtesy of Tuvok. She doesn't even have to be right. Tuvok just has to appear plausibly wrong.

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:Welch, you haven't been paying attention. It's not about me or you or Ophelia or Tuvok, it's about the mainstream onlookers, watching. In which direction have they been influenced in this exchange? More towards waking up to the reality that a dogma is infesting the atheist/skeptic communities? Or more towards thinking the dogmatists are actually the victims and there really *is* a campaign of hate and harassment against them?

What would the Mick Nugents of the atheist/skeptic world think about this blog post from Ophelia? Wow, Ophelia's gone off the deep end? Or, wow, Ophelia really does seem to have a point?

Take a wild guess.

All of this could have been prevented. Nipped in the bud. Pointless waste of all of your time.

Me pointing out the waste of time? Not a waste of time if it prevents wasted time in the future. Which it will.
What fucking "mainstream onlookers"?

You keep talking about this, and all I hear is lots of hot air, but no fucking proof that any of this matters outside of the players.

show me proof of that.

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:
Apples wrote:
Ophelia gets free fodder for her victim complex and to influence the mainstream more toward her way of thinking, and further from skepticism of her ideology. Effortless victim cred, courtesy of Tuvok. She doesn't even have to be right. Tuvok just has to appear plausibly wrong.
Evidently, the entire population of the PLANET is watching this idiocy and about to render a judgement.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:
Apples wrote:
Link?
Never mind - assuming you mean the comments in this thread:

http://www.shakesville.com/2013/03/and- ... pened.html
So far he's had complaint Feminists. I think he's in for a shock.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

oops I meant compliant.