Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10743
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11881

Post by Lsuoma »

Apples wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Holy flarking schnitt!

PeeZus has just jumped every last shark in every known universe simultaneously. The most generous reason I can think of for this monumental stupidity is that he is totally off his moobs!
Can someone give me some context here so I can understand the significance of this particular swing of the banhammer?
I thought that membership here equalling instant Peezus fatwah was established baboon lore.
Julian was an aggressive and proud FTBer and Pharyngulite before he decamped for A+ (then got sick of their tripe and flounced angrily). He's got a chip on his shoulder and seems in most respects to be a true believer SJW, though, like EBW, his bullshit detector apparently does still function. I was actually surprised that so few people seemed to remember him over at the 'Gulag, particularly PZ, though I guess it's been a while and there's a fair amount of turnover.
And there's no evidence I know of that says he's ever posted here.

Apples
.
.
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11882

Post by Apples »

BarnOwl wrote:Cerberus, again:
I knew way too many young women when I was in college who had to abandon things like physics, math, computer science, or engineering because a toxic environment of non-stop sexism from students and teachers just wasn’t worth it to them. It wasn’t worth feeling like shit every day, being triggered, being targeted for all sorts of inappropriate touching or harassment, fighting every day not only to remain sane and calm, but also on top of that continue learning in these subjects they found interesting (it’s worth noting that stress and depression make learning new information even harder than it would be normally).
Scientist, graduate of a tera-nerdy science and engineering university, and I call bullshit.
Yeah - what fucking college did Cerberus go to? "...a toxic environment of non-stop sexism from students and teachers just wasn’t worth it to them. It wasn’t worth feeling like shit every day, being triggered, being targeted for all sorts of inappropriate touching or harassment, fighting every day not only to remain sane and calm..."

WTF? Sounds like they're eligible for some serious naming-and-shaming, but I won't hold my breath.

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11883

Post by cunt »

I was actually surprised that so few people seemed to remember him over at the 'Gulag, particularly PZ, though I guess it's been a while and there's a fair amount of turnover.
What makes you think PZ didn't remember him?

Apples
.
.
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11884

Post by Apples »

cunt wrote:
I was actually surprised that so few people seemed to remember him over at the 'Gulag, particularly PZ, though I guess it's been a while and there's a fair amount of turnover.
What makes you think PZ didn't remember him?
You're right - he may have.

debaser71
.
.
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11885

Post by debaser71 »

fhwdgads wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Cerberus, again:
Definitely this. We can see the impact on so many women who are chased out of male-dominated fields not because they don’t have the aptitude, not because they don’t have the interest, not because they wouldn’t have a ton to offer if given the chance, but because the culture surrounding those dude-dominated fields are so toxic. I knew way too many young women when I was in college who had to abandon things like physics, math, computer science, or engineering because a toxic environment of non-stop sexism from students and teachers just wasn’t worth it to them. It wasn’t worth feeling like shit every day, being triggered, being targeted for all sorts of inappropriate touching or harassment, fighting every day not only to remain sane and calm, but also on top of that continue learning in these subjects they found interesting (it’s worth noting that stress and depression make learning new information even harder than it would be normally).

And this is a tale that keeps happening. I know it keeps happening because my secondary, going to a very liberal prominent university, had to drop her physics/math double major and find a completely different major. Because the intensity of the sexism just didn’t prove worth it anymore.

This is what Adria was driven to speak out for. For a culture where women are only allowed in if they have so many layers of survival mechanisms that they’ve become dead to the non-stop harassment. THIS NEEDED TO STOP.

And maybe by the brunt of the backlash and the call to action inherent in it, maybe we can really start putting a stop to it.

Men in tech fields, programmers, engineers, physicists, mathematicians. If you see your fellow men acting like douches, trading sexist jokes or sexual jokes that treat women like a sex class for their amusement, call them out. Let them now that that shit is messed up and they really should remain professional. Blame it on HR regs if you need to to get over the initial fear, but try and do it.

Because it’s only when YOU care at least as much as the Adria Richards of the world that we can get out of this vicious cycle of toxicity and sexism and cultures where entitled men feel fully justified in harassing and destroying a black woman in all-too-familiar anonymous fashion because “it’s a man club”.
Scientist, graduate of a tera-nerdy science and engineering university, and I call bullshit.
Stop denying their experience, and don't suggest that they have any degree of control over how they experience things. These are strong and powerful women!

...I still don't understand where these women get their impression of what education in my field (computer science) is like. The only things we ever talk about are video games, technology in general, and programming.
The most sexist places are the places where men are entering women's spaces.

These people are projecting and using the standard propaganda tactic of accusing others of what you are guilty of.

AnonymousCowherd
.
.
Posts: 1708
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:49 am
Location: The Penumbra of Doubt
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11886

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Lsuoma wrote: And there's no evidence I know of that says he's ever posted here.
But Julian was the one who backed up OB's claims by saying that he recalled reading "Rebitch/k/a" on the 'pit, so just mentioning reading here is enough for the hammer to fall, apparently.

Southern
.
.
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11887

Post by Southern »

Spence wrote:So now you don't have to be registered, you don't have to post - just reading the slymepit is enough to get you banned?

Peez is going to have to ban himself and Watson then, pretty sure they are here regularly!

Oh, but wait. TalkRat cunt-user Caine sez:
Caine wrote:I expect he shouldn’t have brought them up or mentioned how he thought they were right.
So there you go. Anyone suggesting that 'pitters are right about something gets banned. There's some awesome critical thinking on display there. :suimouth:
I expect with delight the inevitable Ophelia ban.

Apples
.
.
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11888

Post by Apples »

Spence wrote:So now you don't have to be registered, you don't have to post - just reading the slymepit is enough to get you banned?

Peez is going to have to ban himself and Watson then, pretty sure they are here regularly!

Oh, but wait. TalkRat cunt-user Caine sez:
Caine wrote:I expect he shouldn’t have brought them up or mentioned how he thought they were right.
So there you go. Anyone suggesting that 'pitters are right about something gets banned. There's some awesome critical thinking on display there.
Yep - this was the beautiful truth that ended up triggering the hammer:
Julian wrote:You are not a compassionate group of people. You are hateful, bitter and cruel. I came here thinking this was just the slympit exaggerating shit to drum up hate against you guys. I see they’re exactly right. God damn, fucking fix yourselves.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11889

Post by Dilurk »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: *snip
http://www.michaelgray.com.au/Resources/PZPurge1.jpg
*snip* again
That is actually some pretty good 'shop. Skills that I didn't know about if you're the perpetrator. Still up for promoter/publicizer?
Yep, original. 'Twas I, with about 4 minutes work.
As for the agent offer: what is the hourly rate?
(I mean in litres of beer per hour for no real work until you start getting stroppy.)
Now that you have basked in your glory.

http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/remov ... ic-photos/

Stalin could have used this back in his time. It would have saved him hours.

skepandsprinkles
.
.
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11890

Post by skepandsprinkles »

rayshul wrote: Hah. Watching, I'm getting the opposite impression. It's the college age and school age fuckwits who rule at A+, along with the occasional older twat going through a mid-life crisis. I'm pretty sure it's that college age group (through to the early thirties) who are most srsly infected by the SJW wank.
Yeah, I did forget about the speshul snowflakes at A+, but they're really not a norm for our age group. Their problem seems to be they were too weird to function... er, I mean bullied in high school and got stuck there.

My comment was mainly directed towards the bloggers we see.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11891

Post by Dilurk »

Dilurk wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote: *snip
http://www.michaelgray.com.au/Resources/PZPurge1.jpg
*snip* again
That is actually some pretty good 'shop. Skills that I didn't know about if you're the perpetrator. Still up for promoter/publicizer?
Yep, original. 'Twas I, with about 4 minutes work.
As for the agent offer: what is the hourly rate?
(I mean in litres of beer per hour for no real work until you start getting stroppy.)
Now that you have basked in your glory.

http://creativetechs.com/tipsblog/remov ... ic-photos/

Stalin could have used this back in his time. It would have saved him hours.
ARGH I managed a duplicate post again. Sorry, but this time I think I see how I managed it. It won't be happening again.

Scented Nectar
.
.
Posts: 4969
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:45 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11892

Post by Scented Nectar »

Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Non capito un cazzo.
Well, "tough shit" as we say in Aussieland.
I've been watching the old Australian soap opera, Prisoner: Cell Block H (aka Caged Women), and I think I've been learning some Australianese. "Fair dinkum", "ripper", "funny buggers", "struth", "buckley's chance", "screws" (prison guards), "lagging", "you're not wrong there", etc. I don't know how realistic the show is or how out of date, but I'm totally hooked.

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: Peezus

#11893

Post by Al Stefanelli »

[quote="mordacious1"]

<snip> Does anyone think that PZ is being motivated by his ad revenues drying up or Brayton telling him to purge the most embarrassing characters from his clown car? <snip>

No, I think the cheese has finally slid all the way off of PZ's cracker...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11863
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11894

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6789
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: Peezus

#11895

Post by Tigzy »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
<snip> Does anyone think that PZ is being motivated by his ad revenues drying up or Brayton telling him to purge the most embarrassing characters from his clown car? <snip>

No, I think the cheese has finally slid all the way off of PZ's cracker...
Maybe he should try nailing it on.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master
Posts: 6789
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:53 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11896

Post by Tigzy »

That's interesting - Josh Spokesgay's Twitter account seems to be suspended.

The only insight as to why comes from Natalie Reed:
Natalie Reed ‏@nataliereed84 10h

@slignot @SpokesGay Don't know [why he's been suspended]. But he was throwing around some kinda messed-up slurs and inappropriate sexual comments and stuff lately.
https://twitter.com/nataliereed84/statu ... 2458083328

Remick
.
.
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11897

Post by Remick »

fhwdgads wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:Cerberus, again:
Definitely this. We can see the impact on so many women who are chased out of male-dominated fields not because they don’t have the aptitude, not because they don’t have the interest, not because they wouldn’t have a ton to offer if given the chance, but because the culture surrounding those dude-dominated fields are so toxic. I knew way too many young women when I was in college who had to abandon things like physics, math, computer science, or engineering because a toxic environment of non-stop sexism from students and teachers just wasn’t worth it to them. It wasn’t worth feeling like shit every day, being triggered, being targeted for all sorts of inappropriate touching or harassment, fighting every day not only to remain sane and calm, but also on top of that continue learning in these subjects they found interesting (it’s worth noting that stress and depression make learning new information even harder than it would be normally).

And this is a tale that keeps happening. I know it keeps happening because my secondary, going to a very liberal prominent university, had to drop her physics/math double major and find a completely different major. Because the intensity of the sexism just didn’t prove worth it anymore.

This is what Adria was driven to speak out for. For a culture where women are only allowed in if they have so many layers of survival mechanisms that they’ve become dead to the non-stop harassment. THIS NEEDED TO STOP.

And maybe by the brunt of the backlash and the call to action inherent in it, maybe we can really start putting a stop to it.

Men in tech fields, programmers, engineers, physicists, mathematicians. If you see your fellow men acting like douches, trading sexist jokes or sexual jokes that treat women like a sex class for their amusement, call them out. Let them now that that shit is messed up and they really should remain professional. Blame it on HR regs if you need to to get over the initial fear, but try and do it.

Because it’s only when YOU care at least as much as the Adria Richards of the world that we can get out of this vicious cycle of toxicity and sexism and cultures where entitled men feel fully justified in harassing and destroying a black woman in all-too-familiar anonymous fashion because “it’s a man club”.
Scientist, graduate of a tera-nerdy science and engineering university, and I call bullshit.
Stop denying their experience, and don't suggest that they have any degree of control over how they experience things. These are strong and powerful women!

...I still don't understand where these women get their impression of what education in my field (computer science) is like. The only things we ever talk about are video games, technology in general, and programming.
It's a lot easier to understand when you realize they just fill in the blanks. There are more men then women in field X due to... ____________.

_________ Is always filled in with Patriarchy/Sexism. Nevermind that most engineering schools go out of their way to encourage more women to come and attend. Why would the policy set by the school administration tolerate individual professors doing the opposite? It wouldn't. Not to mention, sexual assault, or documented sexist behavior by a Prof. is one of the few ways to fire them even if they have tenure. It is just ignorance, they honestly believe the reason is always Sexism, Patriarchy, or whatever, because that is what they've been told. Rather than think about it themselves, they just accept it.

Where I went to school, there was always a push to get more women into majors that they are typically under-represented in. A lot of women start and leave those majors because they realized they can be a lot more successful and make a lot more money in a different field. A lot of people also finish, graduate, then realize they don't like engineering as a profession. I know plenty of men who have done this. Same with women. The women who did this, didn't leave because they were pushed out. They left because they wanted a different career or saw more opportunity elsewhere.

Gefan
.
.
Posts: 2088
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:55 pm
Location: In a handbasket, apparently.
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11898

Post by Gefan »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Non capito un cazzo.
Well, "tough shit" as we say in Aussieland.
I've been watching the old Australian soap opera, Prisoner: Cell Block H (aka Caged Women), and I think I've been learning some Australianese. "Fair dinkum", "ripper", "funny buggers", "struth", "buckley's chance", "screws" (prison guards), "lagging", "you're not wrong there", etc. I don't know how realistic the show is or how out of date, but I'm totally hooked.
[youtube]KzneUfUXhoI[/youtube]

You're welcome :)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10743
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11899

Post by Lsuoma »

AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: And there's no evidence I know of that says he's ever posted here.
But Julian was the one who backed up OB's claims by saying that he recalled reading "Rebitch/k/a" on the 'pit, so just mentioning reading here is enough for the hammer to fall, apparently.
Srsly? PeeNus will hammer someone just for VISITING the Pit?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11863
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11900

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

More Pitterss!!!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit
Posts: 10743
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:58 pm
Location: Punggye-ri
Contact:

Re: Peezus

#11901

Post by Lsuoma »

Tigzy wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
<snip> Does anyone think that PZ is being motivated by his ad revenues drying up or Brayton telling him to purge the most embarrassing characters from his clown car? <snip>

No, I think the cheese has finally slid all the way off of PZ's cracker...
Maybe he should try nailing it on.
We have a wiener!

Wonderist
.
.
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11902

Post by Wonderist »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Do we really want people like Julian here, with all that Pharyngula cesspit baggage he has.

If he does, make sure we have plenty of air fresheners at the ready. Perhaps we should enforce Pharyngula regulars to go through a 40-day quarantine before they come into contact with intelligent people?
Julian's been changing for a while now. People can change, when they're regularly confronted with reason. It's very similar to a deconversion. He may never be a Slymepitter (or he might, I'm not making any predictions here), but he has definitely 'woken up' from the FTB narrative.

If you do a Ctrl-F (or equivalent) for 'julian', or 'francisco' on this thread, you'll see him significantly take a few steps back from his (unwarranted) boldness at the beginnings of the thread. One of the better threads in this affair, including EBW, Mykeru, and several others. http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... ularism-2/

That was in Jan. It's been about 2 months since then. Definitely reminiscent of a process of deconversion. They usually take significant amounts of time. Often months, sometimes years. People need time to process the major disillusionments that come naturally with finding out that your heroes are really assholes, and your enemies really aren't that bad after all. It can shake one's world up.

Apples
.
.
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm
Contact:

do as I say, not as I - d'oh

#11903

Post by Apples »

So someone showed up on the new DongleGate thread at Pharyngula and said:
I also have to say that while the two guys may have exhibited momentary jerkiness, so have we all at some time or another. And they don’t seem to have contributed at all to the assholes freaking out at Adria Richards — in fact, at least one of them seems to have done the right thing and apologized, and acted like a grownup.
As you might expect, the Pharyngulites did what they've been doing for over 1400 comments at the original thread and immediately dogpiled this misguided dudebro, pointing out that he was, by calling it "momentary jerkiness," excusing and minimizing blatantly sexist behavior, as well as being an apologist for rape and death threats by making it sound like the guys' behavior was no big deal.

Actually, they didn't, because the comment was from .... PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-587478
http://www.freezepage.com/1364222890RQIEPTZPQJ

ReneeHendricks
.
.
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:48 am
Location: Kent, WA
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11904

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I know it's been said already (at least I'm pretty sure it has as I'm not going through 10 pages of posts) but I'll say it again: it's about fucking time more people stand up and say PZMyers and his "horde" are a bunch of asshats. I was just floored seeing how they treated EllenBeth and once again with their *assumption* that JlnFrancisco is/was a 'pitter.

Here's to hoping more people start seeing through the smoke screen.

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11905

Post by Al Stefanelli »

[quote="Phil_Giordana_FCD"]Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...

Big Beautiful Code? Is there a website for that? Oh, wait...

Lurkion
.
.
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11906

Post by Lurkion »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...
I don't think it's age.

Submariner's here and he's plodding along OK. If not with some occasional dementia.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11863
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11907

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...

Big Beautiful Code? Is there a website for that? Oh, wait...
See, everyone? The guy can't quote!

(Oh dear, I hope this was all understood as joke).

Submariner
.
.
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Florida, US of A
Contact:

Re: do as I say, not as I - d'oh

#11908

Post by Submariner »

Apples wrote:So someone showed up on the new DongleGate thread at Pharyngula and said:
I also have to say that while the two guys may have exhibited momentary jerkiness, so have we all at some time or another. And they don’t seem to have contributed at all to the assholes freaking out at Adria Richards — in fact, at least one of them seems to have done the right thing and apologized, and acted like a grownup.
As you might expect, the Pharyngulites did what they've been doing for over 1400 comments at the original thread and immediately dogpiled this misguided dudebro, pointing out that he was, by calling it "momentary jerkiness," excusing and minimizing blatantly sexist behavior, as well as being an apologist for rape and death threats by making it sound like the guys' behavior was no big deal.

Actually, they didn't, because the comment was from .... PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-587478
http://www.freezepage.com/1364222890RQIEPTZPQJ
Another Richards themed post? Gotta get the site views.

Southern
.
.
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11909

Post by Southern »

Lsuoma wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: And there's no evidence I know of that says he's ever posted here.
But Julian was the one who backed up OB's claims by saying that he recalled reading "Rebitch/k/a" on the 'pit, so just mentioning reading here is enough for the hammer to fall, apparently.
Srsly? PeeNus will hammer someone just for VISITING the Pit?
And so it came to an end the Butterfly & Wheels blog over FTB: Ophelia Benson was banned from it because she regularly visited the Slymepit searching for proofs of harassment.

The End.

Such a moving tale.

Apples
.
.
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11910

Post by Apples »

Lsuoma wrote:
AnonymousCowherd wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: And there's no evidence I know of that says he's ever posted here.
But Julian was the one who backed up OB's claims by saying that he recalled reading "Rebitch/k/a" on the 'pit, so just mentioning reading here is enough for the hammer to fall, apparently.
Srsly? PeeNus will hammer someone just for VISITING the Pit?
On Twitter, he says he's never even "set foot" here - all you have to do is say we might be right about something. My impression is actually that lazy PZ has lightened up on moderation/banning of dissenters in the wake of the Concordance and other kerfuffles about his policies and seems to be focusing exclusively on his universal "anyone who doesn't think the 'Pit is da debil" ban.

Wonderist
.
.
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11911

Post by Wonderist »

Jack wrote:
Tigzy wrote:@Submariner

Yep.

So that's two long-standing baboons - Julian and EllenBeth - becoming alienated by recent Pharyngula events.

Peez, one day it will only be you and Nerd of Redhead at this rate. And frankly, he makes a spambot look like an interesting and erudite conversationalist.

Enjoy.
Well, it was long predicted Pharyngula would get to the point of irrelevance sooner or late, as A+ has already. They are so intensely tribal that they will turn on anyone they do not know for any reason. Just a matter of time. Once they all become irrelevant and able or act like normal human beings that will be the end of the problem.
I agree, it will be the end of a *major source* of the problem. But there will still be lingering remnants. Those who still believe the radfemist dogmas. They'll find other places to make their nests and recuperate.

In my opinion, I would very much like to see 'us' (those who choose to pursue it) pursue this steadily, without letting up, until it is so marginalized that it will be *very* difficult for anyone to pull another ElevatorGate 2.0 or anything similar to any of the dust-ups that followed. This needs to become a lasting memory of a *major failure of skepticism* in our various communities, and an *object lesson* of what went wrong, how it was addressed (mistakes as well as successes), and how such things can be prevented in the future.

I know many will be so sick of it they'll want to quit. And I won't blame them, nor hold it against them. But for anyone who still has some energy left, I believe it will be worthwhile to pursue this to its logical conclusion. Not pursing the people/personalities involved, but pursuing the dogmas, beliefs/ideology, and behaviours until the communit(ies) become essentially 'immune' to them.

It's like making sure you take your anti-biotics for the full course of the prescription. If you don't, you run a serious risk of contributing to the problem of the development of evolved resistance. In this case, it would be a memetic evolution, where various dogmas that didn't *quite* get countered fully will float around, and eventually get picked up by some other emergent ideology, as yet unforeseen. Then, they will be more resistant to SlymePit tactics, and we could end up with an even worse outbreak in the mid-future.

Also, it's like how the mammalian immune system works, in developing acquired immunity, through the spreading of antibodies throughout the course of infection, and the subsequent 'memory' of the genes that produce the right antibodies. It's really a fascinating system. It's like a form of 'hyper-evolution' in each person's (each mammal's even) body. It's so fast it can even out-evolve bacteria and viruses. More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_immune_system

There's only one thing worse than apathy: complacency. I hope we do not become complacent and incautious as a result.

Submariner
.
.
Posts: 1127
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:05 pm
Location: Florida, US of A
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11912

Post by Submariner »

rocko2466 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...
I don't think it's age.

Submariner's here and he's plodding along OK. If not with some occasional dementia.
*Enters Steersman mode*

It seems to me that "plodding along" implies some measure of slowness, about which Rocko neither cites, nor provides definitions for. Now, it is possible that he is in fact a slow typist (a point which may be disputed by Submariner himself), there is no substantive evidence of this in play. With respect to dementia, however occasional it may or may not be, It also has yet to be firmly established that his behavior in this forum has met the definition of "dementia". (1)

1. _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia

*Steersman mode off*

I love you too Rocko :D

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11913

Post by Al Stefanelli »

quote="Phil_Giordana_FCD"]
Al Stefanelli wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...

Big Beautiful Code? Is there a website for that? Oh, wait.../quote]

See, everyone? The guy can't quote!

(Oh dear, I hope this was all understood as joke).
[/quote]
[unquote]

<blockquote><p>Quote</p></blockquote> .triangle-isosceles {
position:relative;
padding:15px;
margin:1em 0 3em;
color:#000;
background:#f3961c;

I am is expert in coding. What the fuck?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
.
.
Posts: 11863
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Nice, France
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11914

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Al Stefanelli wrote:quote="Phil_Giordana_FCD"]
Al Stefanelli wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...

Big Beautiful Code? Is there a website for that? Oh, wait.../quote]

See, everyone? The guy can't quote!

(Oh dear, I hope this was all understood as joke).
[unquote]

<blockquote><p>Quote</p></blockquote> .triangle-isosceles {
position:relative;
padding:15px;
margin:1em 0 3em;
color:#000;
background:#f3961c;

I am is expert in coding. What the fuck?
Ok, this is now so mightly hilarious, it's become lulz!

And with these words I will depart to younder greens (no I won't, motherfuckers, I'll be here 'till the cows come home. Should be around nineish.)

Cunning Punt
.
.
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11915

Post by Cunning Punt »

http://i.imgur.com/1WRu9rC.jpg

What a self serving cunt. Die in a fire, Wowbagger.

Wonderist
.
.
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm
Location: The Pale Blue Dot
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11916

Post by Wonderist »

Jack, check your PMs please. Thanks!

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11917

Post by cunt »

I know many will be so sick of it they'll want to quit. And I won't blame them, nor hold it against them. But for anyone who still has some energy left, I believe it will be worthwhile to pursue this to its logical conclusion
What logical conclusion would that be?

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11918

Post by Dilurk »

skepandsprinkles wrote:
rayshul wrote: Hah. Watching, I'm getting the opposite impression. It's the college age and school age fuckwits who rule at A+, along with the occasional older twat going through a mid-life crisis. I'm pretty sure it's that college age group (through to the early thirties) who are most srsly infected by the SJW wank.
Yeah, I did forget about the speshul snowflakes at A+, but they're really not a norm for our age group. Their problem seems to be they were too weird to function... er, I mean bullied in high school and got stuck there.

My comment was mainly directed towards the bloggers we see.
If you take age as in "how long on the Internet?" it's a good way of looking at it. Those of us who have spent years on the 'net know about flamewars, at least in email. Modern social media is the same old same old except much faster. We've BTDT and have the T shirt with the blood and holes as they say. So no, I don't think it's an age thing per se, but an age as in Internet experience thing.

CommanderTuvok
.
.
Posts: 3740
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11919

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Pharyngula - We are laughing and pointing at you.

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11920

Post by cunt »

Yeah, cerebrus is on FIYA... From the way that nutcase is going on you'd think we just witnessed the modern day Rosa Parks thrown off the bus and nailed to the nearest tree by her clit-piercing.

skepandsprinkles
.
.
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:04 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11921

Post by skepandsprinkles »

Dilurk wrote:
If you take age as in "how long on the Internet?" it's a good way of looking at it. Those of us who have spent years on the 'net know about flamewars, at least in email. Modern social media is the same old same old except much faster. We've BTDT and have the T shirt with the blood and holes as they say. So no, I don't think it's an age thing per se, but an age as in Internet experience thing.
i can agree with this somewhat, but I'd press that with technological progressionthe going the way it's gone the younger generations start on it earlier and earlier.

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11922

Post by Al Stefanelli »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Pharyngula - We are laughing and pointing at you.
Don't forget "Jumping up and down"

welch
.
.
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am
Contact:

Re: do as I say, not as I - d'oh

#11923

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:
Apples wrote:So someone showed up on the new DongleGate thread at Pharyngula and said:
I also have to say that while the two guys may have exhibited momentary jerkiness, so have we all at some time or another. And they don’t seem to have contributed at all to the assholes freaking out at Adria Richards — in fact, at least one of them seems to have done the right thing and apologized, and acted like a grownup.
As you might expect, the Pharyngulites did what they've been doing for over 1400 comments at the original thread and immediately dogpiled this misguided dudebro, pointing out that he was, by calling it "momentary jerkiness," excusing and minimizing blatantly sexist behavior, as well as being an apologist for rape and death threats by making it sound like the guys' behavior was no big deal.

Actually, they didn't, because the comment was from .... PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-587478
http://www.freezepage.com/1364222890RQIEPTZPQJ
Another Richards themed post? Gotta get the site views.
THE HITS MUST FLOW

(shitty ad revenue doesn't create itself.)

Al Stefanelli
.
.
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 am
Location: Peachtree City, GA
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11924

Post by Al Stefanelli »

[youtube]K8E_zMLCRNg[/youtube]

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11925

Post by cunt »

[youtube]Rgox84KE7iY[/youtube]

Southern
.
.
Posts: 3464
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11926

Post by Southern »

All this suspense about the next steps in "Phortress Pharyngula Phuckeuppes" is killing me. And speaking of shitty English, how's Comrade Physioproff doing?

JackSkeptic
.
.
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11927

Post by JackSkeptic »

Gefan wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Michael K Gray wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Non capito un cazzo.
Well, "tough shit" as we say in Aussieland.
I've been watching the old Australian soap opera, Prisoner: Cell Block H (aka Caged Women), and I think I've been learning some Australianese. "Fair dinkum", "ripper", "funny buggers", "struth", "buckley's chance", "screws" (prison guards), "lagging", "you're not wrong there", etc. I don't know how realistic the show is or how out of date, but I'm totally hooked.
[youtube]KzneUfUXhoI[/youtube]

You're welcome :)
It's a seriously addictive show. Just ignore the prison walls wobbling from time to time and you'll be fine.

JackSkeptic
.
.
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: do as I say, not as I - d'oh

#11928

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:So someone showed up on the new DongleGate thread at Pharyngula and said:
I also have to say that while the two guys may have exhibited momentary jerkiness, so have we all at some time or another. And they don’t seem to have contributed at all to the assholes freaking out at Adria Richards — in fact, at least one of them seems to have done the right thing and apologized, and acted like a grownup.
As you might expect, the Pharyngulites did what they've been doing for over 1400 comments at the original thread and immediately dogpiled this misguided dudebro, pointing out that he was, by calling it "momentary jerkiness," excusing and minimizing blatantly sexist behavior, as well as being an apologist for rape and death threats by making it sound like the guys' behavior was no big deal.

Actually, they didn't, because the comment was from .... PZ Myers.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-587478
http://www.freezepage.com/1364222890RQIEPTZPQJ
Domah is going for a ban, he said something rational.

JackSkeptic
.
.
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11929

Post by JackSkeptic »

skepandsprinkles wrote:
agarybuseychristmas wrote:
I am convinced the biggest schism in this entire thing is people who grew up on the Internet before social media and those who entered in the MySpace or later eras.
I have noticed that most of the shit stirrers are, for a lack of a better word, old (no offense to those wonderful pitters who are also in the same age range) at least from my 23, almost 24, year old perspective. Those of us in the younger generation got our whiney and drama llama internet fights out of our system in High School. Despite it being mildly entertaining for a while, I'd say most of us Generation Y and Millennials are over it. All some of these bloggers need is a xanga-esque layout and I'd swear to god it was 2005 and I was going through my awkward and ragey sophomore year again.

Rebecca Watson and peers were right on that cusp and probably missed the lesson.
There seems to be a polarised demographic. Either old gits like me or the under 25's.

Thing is I visit other sites and post there. I see more rational thought from the majority of theists than I see at FtB/A+. Also people are generally a lot more polite and considerate of others opinions irrespective of age. So I see it as just the rump of people with extreme views who have no tolerance of others. That can happen to anyone at any time but is more likely to happen when young, when people get the feeling they have the solution to the worlds problems. As you age you realise the world is a lot more complex than that and the way to deal with problems is to discuss them openly. PMZ is a rarity I think. In fact these sort of extreme professor types were a lot more common back in the '70's and earlier. However they could not do much damage then as they can now.

I exclude places like 4chan and Reddit as these are simply places for trolls to go and have fun. Although as I have never been there for all I know I may be wrong on that too.

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11930

Post by Dilurk »

skepandsprinkles wrote:
Dilurk wrote:
If you take age as in "how long on the Internet?" it's a good way of looking at it. Those of us who have spent years on the 'net know about flamewars, at least in email. Modern social media is the same old same old except much faster. We've BTDT and have the T shirt with the blood and holes as they say. So no, I don't think it's an age thing per se, but an age as in Internet experience thing.
i can agree with this somewhat, but I'd press that with technological progressionthe going the way it's gone the younger generations start on it earlier and earlier.
I've been on USEnet, in fact I ran my own small node at home via UUCP. (Now I feel really old) Flamewars were well known on USEnet and in e-mail with plenty of FAQs on how to avoid them. I suspect some folks have not read the modern guides on netiquette.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flaming_(Internet) Is actually not a bad start. I tried to find some of the older USEnet FAQ sites, they are dying off.
Many social researchers have investigated flaming, coming up with several different theories about the phenomenon.[3] These include deindividuation and reduced awareness of other people's feelings (online disinhibition effect),[4][5][6] conformance to perceived norms,[7][8] miscommunication caused by the lack of social cues available in face-to-face communication,[9][10][11] and antiprocess.
Part of my absence from the 'pit was getting acquainted with the local A/S groups. I can report that most people do not know who PZ or RW are, nor do they really care for the most part. Those that know PZ et al are not all irrational SJW in real life either. There is a huge difference between the 'blogosphere' and RL, which is what I have been saying all along.

JackSkeptic
.
.
Posts: 3222
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11931

Post by JackSkeptic »

Wonderist wrote:Jack, check your PMs please. Thanks!
Done, sorted. Thanks.

mordacious1
.
.
Posts: 934
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:33 pm
Contact:

Pharyngula

#11932

Post by mordacious1 »

What's going on at Pharyngula is similar to a situation with Chief Justice Roberts of the U.S. Supreme Court. For years, he was the darling of the conservative party, then he makes one decision supporting "ObamaCare" and he's now in the shithouse. The Court is hearing a case on "gay marriage" and Roberts has a lesbian cousin who will be in the audience during oral arguments. Some conservatives are on the internet screaming for impeachment or at least to have him recuse himself from the case. It shows how fickle people can be in their support if you step out of line just once.

cunt
.
.
Posts: 2768
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11933

Post by cunt »

I exclude places like 4chan and Reddit as these are simply places for trolls to go and have fun. Although as I have never been there for all I know I may be wrong on that too.
Well, they have their own fucked up form of activism. Apparently it involves letting black female nerds know that your onto them while wearing a V for Vendetta mask.

debaser71
.
.
Posts: 841
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11934

Post by debaser71 »

IMO these SJW, whatever age, are stuck in the high school and college aged mindset where they think they know wtf they are talking about but they don't yet realize that their lives, thus far, have been in a little insulated bubble. So IMO the PZ types nees to get off the college campus, get out of the conference echo chamber circuit and live in the reality the rest of us reside.

Cunning Punt
.
.
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:50 am
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11935

Post by Cunning Punt »

Zhuge wrote: (Passive response to...)
Etienne wrote: (Weapons grade lunacy)
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-587249

You can't make this shit up as they say.

Pitchguest
.
.
Posts: 3884
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11936

Post by Pitchguest »

Submariner wrote:
rocko2466 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Al is so old he can't even figure out BBcode...
I don't think it's age.

Submariner's here and he's plodding along OK. If not with some occasional dementia.
*Enters Steersman mode*

It seems to me that "plodding along" implies some measure of slowness, about which Rocko neither cites, nor provides definitions for. Now, it is possible that he is in fact a slow typist (a point which may be disputed by Submariner himself), there is no substantive evidence of this in play. With respect to dementia, however occasional it may or may not be, It also has yet to be firmly established that his behavior in this forum has met the definition of "dementia". (1)

1. _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia

*Steersman mode off*

I love you too Rocko :D
Haha, the Steers impersonation! Priceless! :lol:

Dilurk
.
.
Posts: 1215
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11937

Post by Dilurk »

debaser71 wrote:IMO these SJW, whatever age, are stuck in the high school and college aged mindset where they think they know wtf they are talking about but they don't yet realize that their lives, thus far, have been in a little insulated bubble. So IMO the PZ types nees to get off the college campus, get out of the conference echo chamber circuit and live in the reality the rest of us reside.
Some are, some aren't. I'd expect to see the very young in terms of Internet age falling into the netetiquette trap, and some who simply never bother to understand the phenomenon. Add to this a dash of unabashed hero worship, and you get bullying. I might add that bullying back bullies is not the answer either, awareness on all sides is. What will happen in the end is there will be a core of idealogues who will refuse to stop bullying, and the rest of us can move on. The best we can ever achieve is disagreement in some areas with agreement to stop infighting, and perhaps even work together on common problems.

Apples
.
.
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11938

Post by Apples »

Cunning Punt wrote:http://i.imgur.com/1WRu9rC.jpg

What a self serving cunt. Die in a fire, Wowbagger.
No real need to cite that example when you can just look at these:

Pharyngula Deathwish Derby
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 836#p70836

Pharyngula Fireworks
http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 860#p70860

Apples
.
.
Posts: 2405
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11939

Post by Apples »

Southern wrote:All this suspense about the next steps in "Phortress Pharyngula Phuckeuppes" is killing me. And speaking of shitty English, how's Comrade Physioproff doing?
I believe he made rigatoni, for the Nth time, and took pictures of it.

AndrewV69
.
.
Posts: 7970
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

#11940

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skep tickle wrote:Re the graphs you presented:
- Does the increase in not-married rates for women, by age, from 2000 to 2012 also apply to men? (Given that the marriage rate has been decreasing, and the age at marriage increasing, overall - not just for women.)
It seems reasonable to assume that generally the not married rate also applies to men at the same rate or close enough to make not much of a difference. However, I do not have anything on what percentages apply to what age group.
Skep tickle wrote: - Why is this a problem? I read the article at the link, but think that marriage is becoming less important than it used to be. Just because the marriage rate is decreasing (for the population overall, over time) doesn't necessarily mean more people are going without meaningful relationships.
I was thinking more in terms about single-mother familys. I do not think that common-law family formation is an issue even when the rate is high as in the Province of Quebec where the rate is a bit over 30%. In the USA the overall the rate is not that high, out of a population of over 330 million they apparently have 15.3 million opposite-sex unmarried cohabiting partners:

Characteristics of 15.3 million U.S. opposite-sex unmarried cohabiting partners.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... n/1630681/

The real issue is what happens with the children of single-mothers. Among them higher incarceration rates for boys and early pregnancy for girls.

The following Slate article delves into the risks involved. BTW Slate has done a flip-flop over the years on the subject.
http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... ingle.html

So to me the issue is not meaningful relationships, but that apparently single-mother households can be generally accepted to have a significantly higher likleyhood of negative outcomes with the children affected.

Anyway, quotes from a couple of the papers referenced by the Slate article are below:

Father Absence and Youth Incarceration
http://www.gwu.edu/~pad/202/father.pdf
P.380
The first model showed
that before any of the markers of socioeconomic disadvantage were sep-
arated out, the bivariate association between family type and incarceration
was highly significant, with youths in single-mother and mother-stepfather

households, as well as those who did not live with their parents, facing
incarceration odds at least 3 times as high as youths in mother-father
households. The small number of youths in father-only households un-
expectedly showed no difference in odds of incarceration than did those in
mother-father households; these single fathers may represent special sit-
uations, in which the fathers are particularly suited to caring for their
children. Youths in father-stepmother households, on the other hand, had
high incarceration odds.
For girls there are additional risks, early pregnancy and the attendant risks and poor outcomes associated with them. This study was done in both the USA and New Zealand:

Does Father Absence Place Daughters at Special Risk for Early Sexual Activity and Teenage Pregnancy?
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2764264/
In conclusion, father absence was an overriding risk factor for early sexual activity and adolescent pregnancy. Conversely, father presence was a major protective factor against early sexual outcomes, even if other risk factors were present. These findings may support social policies that encourage fathers to form and remain in families with their children (unless the marriage is highly conflictual or violent; Amato & Booth, 1997).

Locked