Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Tigzy »

Apples wrote:This thread got locked at A+ because Zeitgeist called Setar on his bullshit. That longish-haired boy wants power. He will never have it.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 9&start=50
Shorter shit-pellet Setar: 'Goddamn, I'm just so sick of people complaining when I call them right-wingers, cuz that's just the reaction I'd expect from a right-winger!"

Setar decides who is a right-winger. He has, after all, the authority that comes of having longish hair.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Tigzy wrote:
Apples wrote:This thread got locked at A+ because Zeitgeist called Setar on his bullshit. That longish-haired boy wants power. He will never have it.

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic ... 9&start=50
Shorter shit-pellet Setar: 'Goddamn, I'm just so sick of people complaining when I call them right-wingers, cuz that's just the reaction I'd expect from a right-winger!"

Setar decides who is a right-winger. He has, after all, the authority that comes of having longish hair.
You mean: "ze zie zhe se sie xe xhe xie ve vie vhe le lhe ey en ne nie nhe god dammit this is so fucking stupid s/h/it has, after all, the authority..."

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

So, superduper important quesions here: Is it "sh/i/t", or is it "s/h/it"?

Charitabley angry Oolons Curious pedantics want need to know now.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Apples wrote:
Steersman wrote:You're not going to give any credence or support to that "xe/xi/xo/xum" shit are you?
I noticed that LeftSidePositive used "zem" over at Svan's. Because "them" is....... sexist? :think:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-222326
Xi'm sure Xe just has Xour best interests in mind.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I guess it should be "s/h/it", shouldn't s/h/it.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Steersman wrote: You're not going to give any credence or support to that "xe/xi/xo/xum" shit are you?
Yes Justin, why don't zou mansplain zour use of non gendered pronouns, to zus.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

All zis pronoun s/h/it xis starting to hurt xy eyes.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Dick Strawkins wrote: 'Brass balls' often does refer to gonads in English.
There's a well known expression about the weather being so cold, "it would freeze the balls off a brass monkey" - and its sometimes just shortened to "brass monkeys" alone.
Couldn't he simply use "balls of steel", so we can think of Duke Nukem?

[youtube]3p_OuMW4bfE[/youtube]

Apples

Post by Apples »

Percentage wrote:Apropos of nothing in particular, but Crommunist really is an arrogant motherfucker, isn't he? I mean Christ. I'll grant that he is probably one of the better bloggers on FtB. Of course this isn't saying much, because Crommunist, Ophelia when she's not just aggregating, that new college girl Miri, and sometimes Greta, are the only semi-decent writers on that network.
He is the most gigantic douche among gigantic douches. He is indeed a good and prolific sophist, a total bigot and pseudo-intellectual blowhard who spends a lot of time explaining that people who are in fact not racists are racist, mostly because they tried to point out they are in fact not racists.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Apples wrote:
Edward Gemmer wrote:I really hate this bullshit about allies for this and allies for that. I consider myself a strong feminist, but I sure as hell am not someone's ally.
No shit - Kassiane is always on about this, and the basic message is always the same - "You can't be my ally unless I'm allowed to treat you like shit." And then there's - "you can't demand cookies." Fuck's sake, woman! What makes you think I want a cookie from you?! I can get a box of oreos right down the street for $4.
The cookie obsession is weird too. Never compliment anyone, because that is giving someone a cookie and treating them well for doing the right thing, and obviously we can't have that. Basically it's either vicious insults or nothing. Doesn't that make you all warm and fuzzy about helping them?

The thing they don't understand is that there is value to giving compliments and being complimentary. Not only does it make the other person feel good about themselves, but it also gives you more credibility. PZ has lost whatever voice he had because all he goes on about is how horrible everyone else is. Who cares if PZ thinks something sucks. He thinks everything sucks, so his opinion is completely irrelevant. Conversely, EllenBeth Wachs suddenly has way more credibility, because she actually went against the party line seems much more thoughtful.

Apples

stereotype bet

Post by Apples »

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... -its-cover
In an earlier post, I explain why virtually all stereotypes are empirically true. Stereotypes come from the aggregation and generalization of the daily experiences of millions of people, so they cannot possibly fail to be true. Stereotypes are based on massive empirical data, and empirical data don't lie. However, I also explain that one of the very few stereotypes that are not empirically true is the aphorism "You can't judge a book by its cover." Contrary to popular belief, you can very accurately judge people's character just by looking at them.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Tigzy wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
...is basically the Slymepit.
Can't be the SlymePit, no chillgirls.
They're the ones in the background, serving us drinks and sandwiches, and polishing our balls.
please ring the bell if you fancy anything else, sir

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

justinvacula wrote:New from LeftSidePositive responding to

More to the point, I think you’re ignoring the real question: “How do you reduce sexism in the secular movement?”

http://skepchick.org/2013/04/an-open-le ... ent-167078

Emphasis mine
A very real start would be: get the leaders in our movement to realize that sexism and harassment are not misunderstandings, and they won’t be solved by dialogue. They will be solved by making our environment unquestionably inhospitable to overt sexists, and to those with unexamined privilege . This would include ditching DJ Grothe, for starters, and making sure conferences don’t invite people who have said stupid, evidence-free shit about women, their abilities, and the value of their autonomy. It would include refusing to admit individuals like Justin Vacula, Ryan Grant Long, Reap Paden, and many others to even REGISTER for a conference, let alone speak at it. It would include showing that harassment gets you complete ostracism, and we reserve the right to decide how long it takes before we’ll give you another shot.
Great! Now feminists who have said stupid evidence-free shit about women, their abilities, and the value of their autonomy can be purged (on Julian's reasoning)!!11oneone

...and the hate-fest for DJ continues with a special shoutout to Reap and I + non-pitter Ryan Grant Long (well, everyone who disagrees is a pitter, huh?). #secularshunning
This is the main issue. No one likes to see constant harassment and the trollish stuff these people get. However, instead of targeting the people who do that, they just target people they don't like. Dishonesty at it's finest, and what's more, they can hide behind silly pseudonyms while calling to ostracize other people.

Submariner

Re: stereotype bet

Post by Submariner »

Apples wrote:http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the ... -its-cover
In an earlier post, I explain why virtually all stereotypes are empirically true. Stereotypes come from the aggregation and generalization of the daily experiences of millions of people, so they cannot possibly fail to be true. Stereotypes are based on massive empirical data, and empirical data don't lie. However, I also explain that one of the very few stereotypes that are not empirically true is the aphorism "You can't judge a book by its cover." Contrary to popular belief, you can very accurately judge people's character just by looking at them.
For a minute (before reading the author's name) I thought that was a serious post.

Apples

Post by Apples »

sacha wrote:Can't be the SlymePit, no chillgirls.
They're the ones in the background, serving us drinks and sandwiches, and polishing our balls.[/quote]

please ring the bell if you fancy anything else, sir[/quote]

http://www.allmystery.de/i/tgtI9W0_froz ... -woman.jpg

Apples

Post by Apples »

apologies for the quote fail. I has a shame.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Percentage wrote:Apropos of nothing in particular, but Crommunist really is an arrogant motherfucker, isn't he? I mean Christ. I'll grant that he is probably one of the better bloggers on FtB. Of course this isn't saying much, because Crommunist, Ophelia when she's not just aggregating, that new college girl Miri, and sometimes Greta, are the only semi-decent writers on that network.
I think he has a lot of potential. IMO though he is still stuck in that dumb mindset where anyone who disagrees with him has little to offer, instead of trying to find value and learn new things. He does try to give new spins on things instead of repeating the same crap over and over.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

I take a couple of days off to move to a new continent, North Korea goes on the warpath and the undead thread puts on more pages than Melody Hensley puts on pounds after being locked in a Dunkin' Donuts.
Sonofabitch.
*begins scrolling into the wee hours*

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Submariner wrote:
Steersman wrote: You're not going to give any credence or support to that "xe/xi/xo/xum" shit are you?
Right. Bonus points if you can work in references to the supposedly 23 different varieties (according to something I saw here, I think) ...

sacha

Re: Slymepit fundraiser for Muttville Senior Dog Rescue

Post by sacha »

Altair wrote:
sacha wrote:
Slymepit fundraiser for Muttville Senior Dog Rescue

any amount will make a difference. please help them
Just donated. Wonderful cause, Sacha. Now I just hope I can get to the thread's last page sometime this year.
thank you, Altair!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gefan wrote:I take a couple of days off to move to a new continent, North Korea goes on the warpath and the undead thread puts on more pages than Melody Hensley puts on pounds after being locked in a Dunkin' Donuts.
Sonofabitch.
*begins scrolling into the wee hours*
All settled in are you? :-) Made peace with the natives? (You may wish to contact Half-fish for details on how to do that ... ;-) )

LMU

Post by LMU »

John Greg wrote:So, superduper important quesions here: Is it "sh/i/t", or is it "s/h/it"?

Charitabley angry Oolons Curious pedantics want need to know now.
I say "s/h/i/t" but that's just because I prefer "they" pronouns ;)

welch

Post by welch »

bovarchist wrote:
welch wrote:
cunt wrote:A few airstrikes would take that shit out immediately. North Korea is basically fucked if it ever goes to war with the south.
That was the thought before, and it was more than wrong. The problem is, Korea is basically an inhabited mountain range. There's a lot of places to hide. you want to clear out NK, you have to do it the hard way.
Maybe, I'm no expert. But they don't really have to clear it out, do they? Just wipe out nuclear sites, army bases, artillery, munitions dumps...none of which are all THAT easy to hide.
actually, they're really easy to hide. Ask the Swiss, who hide F-16 hangars in the Alps. Mountains make hiding shit really easy, and they can take a beating.

welch

Post by welch »

Jan Steen wrote:
welch wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Aneris wrote: Haven't the faintest idea what s/he means. The word "rhetorical" came a up a few times, when we discussed Ad Hominems. MRI's were mentioned when Renee wrote about her significant other (btw; good luck to you, hope things are well). Brony could simply write "person X" does this and that, look here. Curious and curiouser.
(88) Raging Bee wrote:So…they’re NOT waiting to see what comes of this Grand Dialogue at Nugent’s place? Well, color me surprised.
Oh my... :roll:
"This looks to me like he's spreading a bunch of fear to gain support for his "Rhetorical Assassins" which he pimps in his next post:
Brony

April 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm (UTC -5)

Raging Bee
It also just so happens that I am right now trying to do a post on dealing with harassment on the internet from a more “functional” perspective at the A+ forums.
http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4314

I was just getting ready to nudge into improving rhetoric with the language in journal articles. I wonder if there is a person at those forums with bad intentions.
If anyone is still allowed on Almost Diamonds, you might want to call out his crap.
Fuck no. I want his rhetorical assassin squad to attack. But I like kicking chihuahuas, so there's that.
Nobody quoted the oddest comment that Brody made:
Brony

April 2, 2013 at 10:51 am (UTC -5)

At this point without more information, I think it might be reasonable to wonder if they were not planning on creating Triggers.
It might be reasonable? No, Brody, it is not reasonable, it is utterly insane to wonder if "they were not planning on creating Triggers." And no, there are no monsters Slymepitters under your bed either. If you are being serious, then I am being equally serious when I say that you need to seek help for your paranoid delusions.

THE WONDERFUL THING ABOUT TRIGGERS IS THAT IIIIIIIII'MMMMMMM THE ONLY ONE!!!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Submariner wrote:
Shouldn't that be "cismansplained"?

welch

Post by welch »

EdwardGemmer wrote:More ignorant stuff, this time from The Crommunist.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/ ... #more-6775

He actually quotes Martin Luther King Jr's, as if Martin Luther King fought and died for the right for some asshole on the internet to call people names. But not dongles. It's amazing to me how many of these people see themselves as reincarnations of Malcolm X or Martin Luther King. Martin Luther King wrote A Letter From Birmingham Jail. you know what was special about it? He was in jail! And the letter was still amazingly well-written, profound, and civil. Can you imagine one of our friends writing this letter?

My guess at how it would start:

While confined here in the Birmingham city jail, I came across your recent statement calling my present activities "unwise and untimely." Well guess what, you can go fuck yourselves. Just go fuck yourselves right through the sewer grate. Seldom do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas. Because I am a black man, and thus on the wheel of privilege you are not allowed to criticize me, you wankers. If I sought to answer all the criticisms that cross my desk, my secretaries would have little time for anything other than such correspondence in the course of the day, and I would have no time for constructive work. Do you people do anything but harass me? But since I feel that you are men of genuine good will and that your criticisms are sincerely set forth, I want to try to answer your statement in what I hope will be patient and reasonable terms. LOL just kidding. You nitwits can go die in a fire for all I care.
More like:

WHYYYY AM IN JAAAAILLLL? I WAS TRYING TO MAKE THE WORLD BETTER, DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND THE ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS? OH GOD IT'S SO COLD, AND I GOT JUMPED BY THREE PEOPLE WHO BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF ME BECAUSE I WOULDN'T SHUT UUUUUUUP. OH GOD, IT HURTS SO BAD, AND NO ONE CARES THAT I'M CRYINNNNNNNNNG

That lot of douchebags is about as willing to accept the consequences of their actions as a three year old.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Apples wrote:
He is the most gigantic douche among gigantic douches. He is indeed a good and prolific sophist, a total bigot and pseudo-intellectual blowhard who spends a lot of time explaining that people who are in fact not racists are racist, mostly because they tried to point out they are in fact not racists.
TURD SANDWICH, MOTHERFUCKER!

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:More ignorant stuff, this time from The Crommunist.

He actually quotes Martin Luther King Jr's, as if Martin Luther King fought and died for the right for some asshole on the internet to call people names. But not dongles. It's amazing to me how many of these people see themselves as reincarnations of Malcolm X or Martin Luther King. Martin Luther King wrote A Letter From Birmingham Jail. you know what was special about it? He was in jail! And the letter was still amazingly well-written, profound, and civil. Can you imagine one of our friends writing this letter?

My guess at how it would start:

While confined here in the Birmingham city jail, I came across your recent statement calling my present activities "unwise and untimely." Well guess what, you can go fuck yourselves. Just go fuck yourselves right through the sewer grate. Seldom do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas. Because I am a black man, and thus on the wheel of privilege you are not allowed to criticize me, you wankers. If I sought to answer all the criticisms that cross my desk, my secretaries would have little time for anything other than such correspondence in the course of the day, and I would have no time for constructive work. Do you people do anything but harass me? But since I feel that you are men of genuine good will and that your criticisms are sincerely set forth, I want to try to answer your statement in what I hope will be patient and reasonable terms. LOL just kidding. You nitwits can go die in a fire for all I care.
Crommie thinks very highly of himself. First rate intellect and all that. Looks down on other FTBloggers, even. So, I have to ask - what *exactly* has he accomplished in the intellectual realm other than writing his worthless blog?

Surely, someone so *gifted* should have a few books out by now? Be the next MLK or something, right? Yeah. Thought so.
he's too busy being friends to the friendless to do anything. FIGHT THE POWER

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Incredible. Surprising the guy has a job at Psychology Today. Seems not to realize that stereotypes are generally true, but only of some smallish segment of the population. The problems arise in judging the entire group on the basis of that segment - sexism, and racism, for examples.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Steersman wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Right. Bonus points if you can work in references to the supposedly 23 different varieties (according to something I saw here, I think) ...
To LGBTQ xou add transgender(te), trans(ti), transsexual(ty), intersex(ix), androgynous(ay), agender(ag), cross dresser(xed), drag king(rex), drag queen(rey), genderfluid(z2O), genderqueer(ge), intergender(ig), neutrois(ur), pansexual(pax), pan-gendered(pag), third gender(3r), third sex(3x), sistergirl(zig) and brotherboy(xro).

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

welch wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
welch wrote:
cunt wrote:A few airstrikes would take that shit out immediately. North Korea is basically fucked if it ever goes to war with the south.
That was the thought before, and it was more than wrong. The problem is, Korea is basically an inhabited mountain range. There's a lot of places to hide. you want to clear out NK, you have to do it the hard way.
Maybe, I'm no expert. But they don't really have to clear it out, do they? Just wipe out nuclear sites, army bases, artillery, munitions dumps...none of which are all THAT easy to hide.
actually, they're really easy to hide. Ask the Swiss, who hide F-16 hangars in the Alps. Mountains make hiding shit really easy, and they can take a beating.

You can put as many F-16s in the Alps as you like, but they ain't much good without runways.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Badger3k wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Shouldn't that be "cismansplained"?
Xou are quite right. How non-well thought out (but not stupid 'cause that's abelist) of me.

welch

Re: sophist's choice

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:In the comments, Crommie pisses on EllenBeth's shoes and tells her its raining:

http://www.freezepage.com/1365008256XUNJADOAND
I'm impressed at how when there's mansplainin' to do, FTB LEADS THE FUCKING WAY.

welch

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:Carrier is butthurt that his Atheism+ speech has gotten so many downvotes on Youtube:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/3351
http://www.freezepage.com/1365008856UUSWHJZBPA
Downvoted. Because i'm an asshole, hate hipsters, and want him to cry.

welch

Post by welch »

Submariner wrote:
Outwest wrote:
Apples wrote:Carrier is butthurt that his Atheism+ speech has gotten so many downvotes on Youtube:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/3351
http://www.freezepage.com/1365008856UUSWHJZBPA
Wow! He's really pulling a "Wahhhh!" here. He's claiming people downvoted without watching. He's pulling a PZ by having people arbitrarily go and just upvote it. Yeah, that's intellectual honesty.
Mr. Carrier writes:
Others reading the comments (I can’t stomach such a task myself) tell me that the downvotes appear to be coming from people who didn’t even watch the video (or didn’t watch it all through).
How can anyone make that determination? Unless the commenter says "I didn't watch the video", how would you know?
Because if you watched it, you'd have no choice but to upvote it, because CARRIER IS MOTHERFUCKING A+ GOD-MAN!

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Za-zen wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Za-zen wrote:You have got to witness the wonkyness halffish is coming out with on twitter
Link?
On mobile, but if you are on twitter take a look at my feed @zaminuszen
Interesting first comment by Half-Fish:
Don't think for even a second that it doesn't take balls/ovaries of brass to be a blogger writing about social justice. It does. Every day.
I may not be a linguist, but as far as I know, "brass balls" is a nautical expression, referring to canonballs. Nothing to do with gonades.

Am I wrong in thinking so?
It takes guts to spew onto the internet?

dumbass.

Apples

Post by Apples »

bovarchist wrote:
Apples wrote:
TURD SANDWICH, MOTHERFUCKER!
http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/ ... ndwich.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Oh, ok. Wikipedia seems to say it's an urban legend. I should facepalm some more at myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_monk ... xpression)

But to the point, Half-Fish is being rather racist in this talk with Za-Zen.
or you can just whine about it and not even acknowledge the reasons why you're living there, rather than your own homelands.
Oh yay, conqueror's guilt.

welch

Post by welch »

Apples wrote:
Edward Gemmer wrote:I really hate this bullshit about allies for this and allies for that. I consider myself a strong feminist, but I sure as hell am not someone's ally.
No shit - Kassiane is always on about this, and the basic message is always the same - "You can't be my ally unless I'm allowed to treat you like shit." And then there's - "you can't demand cookies." Fuck's sake, woman! What makes you think I want a cookie from you?! I can get a box of oreos right down the street for $4.
I have an oven and can bake. I can make cookies and make her fucking BEG FOR THEM. MWAAAAHAAHAHAHA

JAB

Post by JAB »

Just a note to say how sad I am tonight. My feathered friend that serves as my avatar died in my hand tonight.

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:New from LeftSidePositive responding to

More to the point, I think you’re ignoring the real question: “How do you reduce sexism in the secular movement?”

http://skepchick.org/2013/04/an-open-le ... ent-167078

Emphasis mine
A very real start would be: get the leaders in our movement to realize that sexism and harassment are not misunderstandings, and they won’t be solved by dialogue. They will be solved by making our environment unquestionably inhospitable to overt sexists, and to those with unexamined privilege . This would include ditching DJ Grothe, for starters, and making sure conferences don’t invite people who have said stupid, evidence-free shit about women, their abilities, and the value of their autonomy. It would include refusing to admit individuals like Justin Vacula, Ryan Grant Long, Reap Paden, and many others to even REGISTER for a conference, let alone speak at it. It would include showing that harassment gets you complete ostracism, and we reserve the right to decide how long it takes before we’ll give you another shot.
Great! Now feminists who have said stupid evidence-free shit about women, their abilities, and the value of their autonomy can be purged (on Julian's reasoning)!!11oneone

...and the hate-fest for DJ continues with a special shoutout to Reap and I + non-pitter Ryan Grant Long (well, everyone who disagrees is a pitter, huh?). #secularshunning

BAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH

Can you imagine that lot of "can't even get off their ass long enough to wipe it" slackoids putting together a conference more complicated than getting someone to order them pizzas because they "ran out of spoons"???

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

There's no worry about them banning anyone. They have less chance of putting together a conference than I do of sprouting wings.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Wonderist wrote:
lurktard wrote:Quick question: either a stupid one ... or an epically "heretical" one, which may doom the skeptical atheist movement to be purged from reality!!!1

So, brace yourself, here it comes:
The claim "atheists do exist" is supported by what evidence exactly?

I thought about it. But I am kind of stumped, because as far as I see it, there is nothing more than individuals claiming to be atheists. But anybody can claim to be anything; doesn't make it true. I know that atheists do exist, because I know I am an atheist and I exist. But that shouldn't convince anybody else, because it's nothing more than an anecdote.

Googling the issue leads me to religitards' theological crap, only. I haven't found a skeptical approach to the issue. Any help?
Relevantly, Sam Harris is a neuroscientist, and his major area of investigation so far has been into the brain mechanisms of belief, specifically theist belief and non-theist belief as a focus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Harris_%28author%29

You can measure (to some extent) belief, disbelief, and uncertainty in the brain, using fMRI. Yes, atheists exist.
I thought that line needed some rebalancing of its emphasis.

Submariner

Re: sophist's choice

Post by Submariner »

welch wrote: I'm impressed at how when there's mansplainin' to do, FTB LEADS THE FUCKING WAY.
[Steersman mode] It seems to me that in popular culture several decades ago a program was on American television featuring a male Cuban(1) born musician and actor, who played the role of Lucile Ball's husband. In certain episodes he would utter a fairly well known catchphrase(2).

If we juxtapose(3) welch's comment above with the now famous catchphrase, it seems to me the results could be determined by some people to be humorous(4).

1.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desi_Arnaz
2.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catchphrase
3.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juxtaposition
4.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor
[/Steersman mode]

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

welch wrote: Play minor keys more. Bitches love minor keys.
[youtube]FihtGIRbLsI[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/SLDddIr.jpg

What utter bullshit. 'Ambidexter' is free to call me on Skype and call in during Brave Hero Radio (each episode has welcomed callers no matter their viewpoints). Hell, XE can even call my mobile phone which can be found quite easily - it was contained with the PA SCA's press release. No one 'picked up the phone' to call me prior to the 20+ hit pieces from Rebecca Watson and crew.

Additionally, XE can post on my Facebook, GooglePlus, send me a Youtube message, email any one of my 4-5 accounts, tweet me, or even post on the pit.

Give me a break...
You're not going to give any credence or support to that "xe/xi/xo/xum" shit are you?
XUM, XUM, XUMMA XUM! COME ON AND XUMMA XUMMA XUMMA XUM!
COME ON GIVE IT A TRYYYYYY
WE'RE GOING TO SHOW YOU TO FLYYYYYY
WE'RE GOING TO SHOW TO FLY HIGH!
COME ON AND XUMMMM! COME ON AND XUM XUM!

yeah, everyone in kids TV in the 70s was tripping fucking BALLS

d4m10n

Re: "An Open Letter to Secular Community Leaders"

Post by d4m10n »

Skep tickle wrote:"Open Letter" released April 2 by Silverman and 21 other leaders of national atheist/secular/humanist groups: Be excellent to each other and moderate blog comments to keep them civil); feminism is open to interpretation and "women and men should have equal rights". (1)

RW at Skepchick: They didn't ask women who have been harassed what to put on that stone tablet they just handed down from on high, oh no they di'nt. How can they "demand" women tone down their "comparatively mild" expressions of "unpopular viewpoints" when women receive an "avalanche of slurs and threats" and are "relentlessly attacked from within". (2)

Board of Secular Woman: We didn't endorse it; it "gives equal voice to the sexist ideas and beliefs that have been perpetuated as differing 'interpretations' of feminism" and "those of us working to challenge systemic sexism should be under no obligation to listen to or be more charitable to our opponents". (3)
Very apt summary of the opening salvos in this round of cyclic butthurt. Predictably, the prominent voices at A+ and FtB have pretty much lost their collective wits over this fairly mild open letter. The question that remains to be answered is whether the signatories thereof will have the brass ovaries/balls to stop actively supporting and giving a platform those who repudiate the goals and methods outlined in the letter: http://www.skepticink.com/backgroundpro ... er-opener/

welch

Post by welch »

bovarchist wrote:
welch wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
welch wrote:

You can put as many F-16s in the Alps as you like, but they ain't much good without runways.
you mean like the curiously straight roads right in front of the hangar doors?

Dude, read up on the military history of the Swiss. They didn't get left alone in many wars because they're happy little chocolatier watchmakers. They got left alone, because attacking Switzerland is actually less painful and bloody than fucking a woodchipper.

welch

Post by welch »

JAB wrote:Just a note to say how sad I am tonight. My feathered friend that serves as my avatar died in my hand tonight.

:-(

sacha

Post by sacha »

JAB wrote:Just a note to say how sad I am tonight. My feathered friend that serves as my avatar died in my hand tonight.

I'm so sorry, JAB. my sincere sympathy

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Git wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
Git wrote:
Pepsi wrote:Oh, Christo. He's a jerk who hates puppies. Don't ever give when they do that. When they do that, just firmly repeat your points with the reply, over and over.

Lsuoma, I'm curious about the antique picture you have there. What is that?
Meanwhile I'm curious about the kitteh in your avatar. Tell me more!
lol. What are those stones doing on your kitteh's head? And why are they blue?
No idea, Apparently they look like dildos, but its just a random image I found on the web of a grumpy-looking cat with stones on its head.
The cat represents the Palestinian people and the stones represent the weight of Israeli oppression.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Submariner wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Submariner wrote:
To LGBTQ xou add transgender(te), trans(ti), transsexual(ty), intersex(ix), androgynous(ay), agender(ag), cross dresser(xed), drag king(rex), drag queen(rey), genderfluid(z2O), genderqueer(ge), intergender(ig), neutrois(ur), pansexual(pax), pan-gendered(pag), third gender(3r), third sex(3x), sistergirl(zig) and brotherboy(xro).
You win the kewpie doll. :-)

While I can maybe sympathize a little with someone who might be somewhat bent out of shape at “he” or “her” when one of those other flavours might be more descriptive, I still think it rather presumptuous and quite pretentious that a rather small segment of the population is trying to impose some rather problematic language constructs on everyone else.

I was thinking something along that line the other day in the context of different languages on various traffic signs: there are apparently “6,909 different living human languages”; should we be obliged to relabel our STOP signs with a word for that in every one of those languages?

Bloody madness; political correctness run amok. While it is probably true that the rights of the group don’t always override the rights of the individual, that seems to be, or should be, somewhat dependent on the size of the group and the right in question.

Although I have to admit to thinking that “s/h/i/t” frequently tends to be a case of the pendulum swinging too far in the opposite direction ….

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Sorry JAB maybe this will cheer you us some:

[youtube]WlBiLNN1NhQ[/youtube]

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Submariner wrote:
Apples wrote:Because I was feeling a bit of a hankering for crazy, I checked out this post by McEwan at Shakesville:

http://www.shakesville.com/2013/04/and- ... pened.html

which relates to this post by Adam Lee:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... continued/

Because Shakesville ain't Shakesville if it can't castigate PZ Myers, Ophelia Benson, and Adam Lee within the space of a few weeks for being insufficiently feminist (i.e., not kissing McEwan's ass with proper groveling deference).
Wow, Adam Lee is tiptoeing in broken glass and it's still not good enough. That's fucking hilarious!
Holy crap! What a spectacular fail! Went in for his Official Feminist badge cookie, and came out a full blown mansplaining misogynist! :lol:

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Kanazawa, really?

Re: "An Open Letter to Secular Community Leaders"

Post by Guest »

Just quietly, it's bloody hard to read those comments because the style formatting doesn't do a sufficient job of disambiguating responders.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Steersman wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/SLDddIr.jpg

What utter bullshit. 'Ambidexter' is free to call me on Skype and call in during Brave Hero Radio (each episode has welcomed callers no matter their viewpoints). Hell, XE can even call my mobile phone which can be found quite easily - it was contained with the PA SCA's press release. No one 'picked up the phone' to call me prior to the 20+ hit pieces from Rebecca Watson and crew.

Additionally, XE can post on my Facebook, GooglePlus, send me a Youtube message, email any one of my 4-5 accounts, tweet me, or even post on the pit.

Give me a break...
You're not going to give any credence or support to that "xe/xi/xo/xum" shit are you?
XUM, XUM, XUMMA XUM! COME ON AND XUMMA XUMMA XUMMA XUM!
COME ON GIVE IT A TRYYYYYY
WE'RE GOING TO SHOW YOU TO FLYYYYYY
WE'RE GOING TO SHOW TO FLY HIGH!
COME ON AND XUMMMM! COME ON AND XUM XUM!

yeah, everyone in kids TV in the 70s was tripping fucking BALLS
Maybe a contributing cause to "the drug problem"?

But we never did have television in our house until the 90s – and then only to watch “Little House on the Prairies”, and it was one of those tube jobs – I still have it; been thinking of buying a VHS to go with it. And I had to walk to and from school – up hill, both ways …. ;-)

I was actually trying for the much older (relatively speaking) “Fe-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an English man” ….

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Zenspace wrote:
Submariner wrote:
Apples wrote:Because I was feeling a bit of a hankering for crazy, I checked out this post by McEwan at Shakesville:

http://www.shakesville.com/2013/04/and- ... pened.html

which relates to this post by Adam Lee:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... continued/

Because Shakesville ain't Shakesville if it can't castigate PZ Myers, Ophelia Benson, and Adam Lee within the space of a few weeks for being insufficiently feminist (i.e., not kissing McEwan's ass with proper groveling deference).
Wow, Adam Lee is tiptoeing in broken glass and it's still not good enough. That's fucking hilarious!
Holy crap! What a spectacular fail! Went in for his Official Feminist badge cookie, and came out a full blown mansplaining misogynist! :lol:
Reminds me of all those innocent catholic boys who thought they were only going to get a cracker in their mouths.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

welch wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
welch wrote:
bovarchist wrote:

you mean like the curiously straight roads right in front of the hangar doors?

Dude, read up on the military history of the Swiss. They didn't get left alone in many wars because they're happy little chocolatier watchmakers. They got left alone, because attacking Switzerland is actually less painful and bloody than fucking a woodchipper.
That's not the argument; the argument revolves on how easy it would be to hide your arsenal from a modern power like the US. My point, limited though it may be, was that the Swiss can't hide their runways and thus it would be easy for an attacker to find and destroy their planes. You said it yourself...curiously straight roads. Hmmm, wonder if there might be hangars nearby?

And not to disparage the Swiss (I read that Cracked article too) but I think them being left alone has more to do with not having much that anybody wants that badly. Unless you think Andorra is also hiding a major can of whupass?

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

As for Miri, I may be wrong, but unfortunately she seems to be on the fast track to radfem. Presently she seems to be fairly free of it, but the signs are there.
Apparently she was a McCain/Palin supporter four years ago. And, you know, she's like 21. So idk, she might be rubberbanding to the other extreme, before settling down with something sane.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ohhhhhh, JAB. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of a dear friend.