Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Gefan

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Gefan »

JAB wrote:Thankyou for your kind words everyone. Still a little verklempt when reading them. Part of the process.
Apologies in advance for adding to verklempt-ness but I too, am so very sorry. We recently had to give up a cat, that had horrible allergies at our house, to a friend. He's much happier and healthier there but we miss him so much.
Many years before I had a semi-tame Red Golden Pheasant that hung around our yard for years. When he disappeared I was depressed for months.
Hold on to the memories of the little fella.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Gefan wrote:
cunt wrote:
The racist far-right in the UK are, to be frank, utterly irrelevant. A few hundred nutters, most of whom are in-and-out of prison most of the time
Absolute bollocks, there's thousands, hundreds of thousands. Though the point wasn't that they're large and a significant political force, it was that they were and are a fast-growing one and the left didn't want to pile onto islam for fear of giving them some legitimacy.

In the 2010 general the BNP got 563,743 votes, in 2005 they had 192,746. In 2001 they got 47,129. We're just lucky that the party leadership and its councillors are just as fucking stupid as the rank and file and voters.
Given the UK's electoral system how much would that number have to go up before it represents a significant force (however you want to define that term) in national politics?
I really hope you aren't trying to make some kind of clever point here. We done did this a few pages back. If you want an honest answer though, it'd have to grow by about 10x that amount to get into the same kind of role that the Lib Dems currently occupy as part of a coaliton government. Assuming Labour and the Conservatives are very close. That's around about 5,000,000 votes in a general. Maybe half, one third, even a quarter that number to be considered a significant national political force (could possibly block legislation and realistically deal with other parties to push agendas on controversial issues), again assuming that no major party has a huge advantage in the commons.

bovarchyasaguest

Post by bovarchyasaguest »

Laughing at Internet Tough Guys casting aspersions on Rogan's credentials as a real-life tough guy. NoR would shit his pants if Rogan glanced at him.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tigzy wrote:
Gefan wrote: Always a good idea, picking a fight with a professional comedian.
...and holder of numerous black belts. Apparently, this Joe Rogan bloke is quite the fan of the old Choppy Socky.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Rogan

Have to say, he's got some pretty funny ideas, though.
From my observation of him, Rogan seems, first and foremost to be open-minded. He has people on his podcast of varying degrees of nuttiness (from Graham Hancock to the "Aliens" meme dude) and he's always friendly and respectful with them. He hears them out and tends towards a "who the hell knows?" attitude.
I think he's been talked down off the moon-landing hoax ledge, partly due to the efforts of Neil Degrasse Tyson.
Mellow, reasonable guy. He'll shrug off Peezus like a gnat.

Post by Guest »

Gefan wrote:From my observation of him, Rogan seems, first and foremost to be open-minded. He has people on his podcast of varying degrees of nuttiness (from Graham Hancock to the "Aliens" meme dude) and he's always friendly and respectful with them. He hears them out and tends towards a "who the hell knows?" attitude.
I think he's been talked down off the moon-landing hoax ledge, partly due to the efforts of Neil Degrasse Tyson.
Lol'd hard. Nah, he's neither mellow nor reasonable and he's so open-minded that, well however the saying goes.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

cunt wrote:
Gefan wrote:
cunt wrote:In the 2010 general the BNP got 563,743 votes, in 2005 they had 192,746. In 2001 they got 47,129. We're just lucky that the party leadership and its councillors are just as fucking stupid as the rank and file and voters.
Given the UK's electoral system how much would that number have to go up before it represents a significant force (however you want to define that term) in national politics?
I really hope you aren't trying to make some kind of clever point here. We done did this a few pages back. If you want an honest answer though, it'd have to grow by about 10x that amount to get into the same kind of role that the Lib Dems currently occupy as part of a coaliton government. Assuming Labour and the Conservatives are very close. That's around about 5,000,000 votes in a general. Maybe half, one third, even a quarter that number to be considered a significant national political force (could possibly block legislation and realistically deal with other parties to push agendas on controversial issues), again assuming that no major party has a huge advantage in the commons.
No, not at all. It was a serious question. The answer you gave was about what I figured but wasn't sure. If the BNP reached that level I can't figure if they still be too toxic for the major parties to touch or that the basic landscape would have changed so much that all bets would be off.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Guest wrote:
Gefan wrote:From my observation of him, Rogan seems, first and foremost to be open-minded. He has people on his podcast of varying degrees of nuttiness (from Graham Hancock to the "Aliens" meme dude) and he's always friendly and respectful with them. He hears them out and tends towards a "who the hell knows?" attitude.
Lol'd hard. Nah, he's neither mellow nor reasonable and he's so open-minded that, well however the saying goes.
He says some things I find dopey. We don't have kids and my S/O gets anxiety attacks around them. Rogan doesn't approve? Neither of us gives a shit. I can't predict what Rogan's going to think on an issue whereas it doesn't take much to predict Peezus at 100%.
I've also only ever seen one of them change their mind.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Well, that comedian does seem like kind of a dick, but I dont have my own kids and generally don't like other people's kids if they're not related to me (for instance, woman at grocery store today with a little girl going, "eeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhh...eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh. I want that eeeeeeeeeeehhhhjhhh," while she coo'd at her to be quiet and nice for mommy).

Humphrey_Hedgehog

Post by Humphrey_Hedgehog »

Reap wrote:Hey if anybody has a blog or RSS feed of any type they would like to have added to my godlessradio site let me know and I'll add your RSS to the ones I have going now. As long as it doesn't have anything to do with supporting religion, gods, or fraudulent BS it is eligible. Message me here or facebook or twitter ....whatever
Hi Reap, can I just say that I really like your podcasts. You have a very disarming interview style that makes for a very enjoyable listen.

Keep up the great work!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

[quote="stration"]PZ Myers going after Joe rogan, you decide who is right

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... xperience/

Anthony K
5 April 2013 at 10:36 am (UTC -5)
Among so many other tells, the white knight “they’re still not going to fuck you weak bitches” bullshit is a giveaway that the MRAs, PUAs, and other skidmarks don’t fully believe their own evo-psych bullshit.
Remember boys, there are two motivations to men, as you like to trot out. Sex and violence
The reason I’m a gender traitor is not because I’m interested in getting laid, it’s that other easily trotted out trope about real men—I desire violence, and dominating fuckheads, at least verbally, is how I legally assuage that desire.
Joe Rogan of all dipshits should be able to appreciate that.

^THIS GUY^ is right!!

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Not sure if posted, but Adam Lee credits AtheismPlus for the 'open letter?'

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... -thoughts/

http://i.imgur.com/NmPt94i.jpg
As Stephanie Zvan says, it’s hard to imagine that anything like this could have been written even just a year ago. The emergence of Atheism Plus and other groups calling for more emphasis on social justice has played a major part in bringing these issues to the fore, and they deserve credit for that.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

justinvacula wrote:Not sure if posted, but Adam Lee credits AtheismPlus for the 'open letter?'

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightat ... -thoughts/

http://i.imgur.com/NmPt94i.jpg
As Stephanie Zvan says, it’s hard to imagine that anything like this could have been written even just a year ago. The emergence of Atheism Plus and other groups calling for more emphasis on social justice has played a major part in bringing these issues to the fore, and they deserve credit for that.
"An institution will tend to try to preserve the problems to which it is a solution." or generate them. Give it some time when the "problem is solved", they can get credit for that too. They have produced the issues out of a hat, have used them with some trolls to generate influence and income and at some point they can surely "solve" them as well.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

This Saturday's Brave Hero Radio episode:

Maria Maltseva — author of Skeptically Left on the Skeptic Ink Network (SIN) — joins Justin Vacula and Karla Porter for discussion about feminism, current events, and drama in the online atheist/skeptic communities on April 6 at 8PM Eastern/5PM Pacific.

http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... -maltseva/

Listen in during the stream to chat and call live!

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

justinvacula wrote:Not sure if posted, but Adam Lee credits AtheismPlus for the 'open letter?'

Hey Adam, you missed a chance for some McEwen cookies by not attributing the open letter to her.

Keating

Post by Keating »

cunt wrote:It has it's good points as well as the bad. I don't want to say the place is totally shit, but overall i'd say that it's not worth moving to if your already living in modern first world country and it really doesn't matter how much research you've done on this.. you'll be fucking shocked at how much it costs to live in surrey.
I lived near Gatwick airport for a short while with this company. Yeah, disposable income is a concern, but it still seemed cheaper than where I am in Australia. Sydney doesn't hold a candle to London in terms of interest, plus I could go to Germany for £100 rather than $2000.

The main advantages would be that the job would be more interesting, the weather would be better (I love cold, I hate heat), and I (hopefully) wouldn't feel like I was living in a small provincial backwater.

I haven't made up my mind, but this is probably going to be one of the biggest decisions in my life.

Tkmlac

Post by Tkmlac »

Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:
Reap wrote:Hey if anybody has a blog or RSS feed of any type they would like to have added to my godlessradio site let me know and I'll add your RSS to the ones I have going now. As long as it doesn't have anything to do with supporting religion, gods, or fraudulent BS it is eligible. Message me here or facebook or twitter ....whatever
Hi Reap, can I just say that I really like your podcasts. You have a very disarming interview style that makes for a very enjoyable listen.

Keep up the great work!
Disarming. That's the perfect word to describe it! I don't commute anymore so I admit I haven't listened in a long time. I think Reap is better at the podcast than those avante guarde videos. Not that I dont chuckle when I watch them. They're just kinda weird.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Tigzy wrote:
I honestly think that if I thanked any of the 'people of colour' I know for teaching me how to be a better white person, they'd beat me up.

I mean, seriously - how patronizing can you get? I know Chris Clarke and his ilk mean well in what they're trying to do - but so often, it just comes out sounding like they would really just like to give non-white people a reassuring pat on the head.
Chris Clarke hosting a party (first minute).

[youtube]R_ve7Vp_J_o[/youtube]

sacha

Post by sacha »

Tigzy wrote:@Git - I admit, I lulzed at the BNP's marmite fiasco during the last general election. There was something so incompetently 'Roderick Spode-ish' about it all that...well, I guess I'm just easily amused that way.

I thought it was bloody hilarious

[youtube]t_dERiW4o78[/youtube]

Git

Post by Git »

I can't stand the stuff myself.

Hands that touch marmite won't get near my....etc

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
stration wrote:PZ Myers going after Joe rogan, you decide who is right

Anthony K
Among so many other tells, the white knight “they’re still not going to fuck you weak bitches” bullshit is a giveaway that the MRAs, PUAs, and other skidmarks don’t fully believe their own evo-psych bullshit.
Remember boys, there are two motivations to men, as you like to trot out. Sex and violence
The reason I’m a gender traitor is not because I’m interested in getting laid, it’s that other easily trotted out trope about real men—I desire violence, and dominating fuckheads, at least verbally, is how I legally assuage that desire.

^THIS GUY^ is right!!
So let me get this straight. Joe Rogan makes a joke tweet about women hating children, and in response he gets a lot of women hating children. He's disgusted by this and says so on twitter. *PZ* picks up on this and implies Joe Rogan is the disgusting one? Um. Okay. Not to mention he completely misrepresents his point about woman hating children. As far as I can see, Joe isn't saying anything about women HAVING children (as in getting pregnant), but LIKING children. It's not about WANTING children (as PZ so ineptly implies), but LIKING children - liking them. In fact, Joe actually clarifies that point in one of his subsequent tweets so what the hell is PZ on about?

Also the idiotic question of why he only addresses women about this in his tweets. First of all, he doesn't, and second of all, because originally he made a tweet joking about women hating children and women hating children responded to it. PZ, if you're reading (or anyone of your sycophants) - this is why you don't divide by zero. You never go full Setar. I'm a young'un, I'm a whippersnapper compared to you, and English is not my first language it's my third, and yet even I'm able to get this through my fucking head. How is it that a fucking college professor with a Ph.D. can fuck up so majorly on almost every issue he decides to tackle? PZ. You're an idiot.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Hitler's BNP membership gets leaked:

[youtube]BUNUuqlG1a0[/youtube]

Post by Guest »

Rogan says he has being flooded with pissed off feminist
amusingly, they will react poorly to his slagoff use of gender traitors while cheerleading their own

obviously used for trollish effect, but i doubt theyll see any irony

sacha

Post by sacha »

Pitchguest wrote:

Anthony K

^THIS GUY^ is right!!
So let me get this straight. Joe Rogan makes a joke tweet about women hating children, and in response he gets a lot of women hating children. He's disgusted by this and says so on twitter. *PZ* picks up on this and implies Joe Rogan is the disgusting one? Um. Okay. Not to mention he completely misrepresents his point about woman hating children. As far as I can see, Joe isn't saying anything about women HAVING children (as in getting pregnant), but LIKING children. It's not about WANTING children (as PZ so ineptly implies), but LIKING children - liking them. In fact, Joe actually clarifies that point in one of his subsequent tweets so what the hell is PZ on about?
There is back story on PZWatson and Rogan.
Jamie Kilstein is a good friend of RW's
https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_rn=8 ... 01&bih=781

sacha

Post by sacha »

and Jamie Kilstein's wife is best friends with Jessica Valente

sacha

Post by sacha »

sorry wrong spelling: Jessica Valenti

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

sacha wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

Anthony K

^THIS GUY^ is right!!
There is back story on PZWatson and Rogan.
Jamie Kilstein is a good friend of RW's
https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_rn=8 ... 01&bih=781
Ah, yes. I remember that interview. Jamie "Rape is worse than murder" Kilstein. Because murder takes you out of the equation. You're dead, while being raped you have to live with it. However I stress, still alive. Making a note here: huge success. Alive! Live to fight another day, to laugh, to cry, to be with your kids (if you have any) or your family (if you have any), to breathe or WHATEVER. Dead, you are gone. Finito. Dust. Wormfood. Your children will be without a mother or a father, your father or mother without a son or a daughter. For Jamie Kilstein to actually argue that rape is worse than death is pretty damn bad. Joe even said he understood where he's coming from, but to say that rape is worse than death? What the fuck is wrong with you?

At least now I see what got PZ's goat. Joe Rogan wronged one of his friends' friend, and although he got everything about what Joe completely *WRONG* he's still going to go after him because, well, that's what friends do, I guess. Freethought!

Jessica Valenti, isn't she married to Matt Dillahunty? Or am I way off? Or is it his wife idolizes Valenti? Something like that. Anyway. Done!

Yanbu

Post by Yanbu »

Apples wrote: As an American, I have found this whole conversation edificational.
Yeah, me too. Now let's see… UT stands for Utah, which state does UK stand for?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

President Obama says Kalama Harris is a brilliant, dedicated, tough and "by far, the best looking attorney general."

Banter between good friends?

Nope. Sexist. Why? Who knows. According to Juliet Williams, a professor of gender studies at UCLA, it's "complicated."
“It’s complicated,” said Williams. “There’s a way in which a gesture of teasing a woman like you would tease a man is coming from a very respectful, and generous and open place as much as it could come from an othering or demeaning place.”
So take note: if you want to treat a woman as you would any man, like, say, call them handsome bastards: don't. It's sexist. Stop it. You're demeaning and othering.

Good grief. Don't get me wrong, I'm a lefty, but this is pathetic.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Ah, yes, forgot to add the obligatory Gawker article to go with it. It also repeats the same narrative about how it's different to call a man good-looking than it is to call a woman good-looking. Power differentials and all that. Yeah, except when you're trying to achieve gender equality and view both genders in the same light. It can't happen unless you make it happen, guys! If I keep treating you like a princess, even though you tell me not to, but I still keep doing it because gosh darnit, I think you are and you can't teach old dogs new tricks, NOTHING IS EVER GOING TO CHANGE.

Do you think Martin Luther King, Jr. would have objected to being treated like an equal during the Civil Rights Era and say, "Hey! Not cool. I'm a disadvantaged minority here. You can't treat me like we're the same. You're white and I'm black, it doesn't work that way. Re-educate yourself, white boy!" Ridiculous. If you keep vying for gender equality, keep fighting for gender equality, only to piss yourself when you actually get the same treatment, then what's it all for?

Oh, and 'mansplaining'? Grow up. Once again, if you don't want to be stuck in the past, then stop using words that keep you in the past. 'Mansplaining' is one of those words. No, the irony of myself -- a man -- explaining this is not lost on me. In fact, it's compounded, like a ratchet gun powered by stupidity. The piece on Gawker is also written by a man. Go figure.

In short, if you're a woman and a man calls you good-looking in public, and you don't like it, get over it. It's harmless. You're not being oppressed, it's not a fucking disease. You won't wake up the next day with leprosy. I've been called ugly in public, never did me any harm. Sure, I didn't like it, but it's not like I can go on the internet and claim how the world is sexist, can I? Rude, maybe, but sexist? Unfortunately for me, by chance I happened to be born with testicles and a dick and therefore -- to me -- that argument is perpetually unattainable. I can never make that argument. I would be laughed at. Ridiculed, and rightly so. However due to the power of chance, I have a privilege that women don't have: being a man. And I happened to win the other chance lottery as well: being white. A white man. Truly I lucked out. Except, wait, I haven't had any privilege in my entire life. No special treatment, no additional jobs offered, no higher pay; nothing. As a matter of fact, during my last job interview, the job I really wanted was given to a black man. The nerve! Surely he must've been treated differently being black and all, a minority in my country? Nope. He was just better qualified than I was and on top of it all, do you know what I said before he went in? Good luck. I know. I'm the worst.

No, I go on with my life and that's that. The person who called me ugly, I didn't even know her (yes, it was a woman -- misogynist: guilty), but it was a ten second encounter and off she went. Didn't see her again. Yeah, I'm so fucking privileged that if someone calls me names I don't even have to dwell on it. Ladies: I feel your pain. Seriously, though, this thing about how it's supposedly sexist that a man says to a woman in public she's 'good-looking' (heck, 'best-looking' even) is pathetic. Besides, it was to a good friend! And he compliments men on their looks too all the time! I don't get it. Not at all. Oh, yeah, and teal deer.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

@Steersman,

OK, possible reason for the gender bias in science towards men in that study(1) was because the men were all sexually inexperienced and not getting laid. Because if they were they would look more favourable on the female applicants(2). The women on the other hand were also biased towards men because they like sex(3) (presumably with men) even if they were not getting a regular oil change.

Should be simple enough to test this hypothesis if you ask me. I am contemplating sending an eMail to Shirley Tilghman(1) pointing this out. I wonder how she would react to this? Should be easy enough to set up a control group, and ask the women for example if they liked sex or not. But how would she go about ensuring the males were laid to their satisfaction?

(lie back and think of England Science?)

Might be a bit of a stretch, but I dunno. What say you?

1).
Study shows gender bias in science is real. Here’s why it matters.
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/uno ... t-matters/
Results found that the “female” applicants were rated significantly lower than the “males” in competence, hireability, and whether the scientist would be willing to mentor the student.
Both male and female scientists were equally guilty of committing the gender bias. Yes – women can behave in ways that are sexist, too. Women need to examine their attitudes and actions toward women just as much as men do. What this suggests is that the biases likely did not arise from overt misogyny but were rather a manifestation of subtler prejudices internalized from societal stereotypes.
2).
STUDY:Gender differences in automatic in-group bias: why do women like women more than men like men?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15491274
Experiment 4 showed that for sexually experienced men, the more positive their attitude was toward sex, the more they implicitly favored women.
3).
Women like women more than men like men
http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec04/women.aspx
These results suggest that for men, pro-female bias is moderated by sexual gratification," Rudman says. "By contrast, women who implicitly liked sex also preferred men, whether or not they were high on sexual experience."

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Just dropping this here. Enjoy!

[youtube]2K8O8BhI19o[/youtube]f

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Submariner wrote:Just dropping this here. Enjoy!

Genius. Genius.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Thanks pitch. It was a lot of fun making that one.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Checking in on the Carrier A+ vid, I just can't help feeling some petty satisfaction that it now have 1000+ thumbs down and a 63% red lightsaber. I know it's a pointless stat, but considering his article begging for upvotes... there's this Swedish proverb, "The only true joy is schadenfreude" .

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Guest wrote: Bhurzum's over-emotional reaction was quite unfortunate. Compare it to Steersman's(1) who took the Muslim pummeling quite well(2). At least they're both glorious defenders of democracy and western civilization(3) in general, one directly on the ground(4), the other via the ivory tower(5).

(1) “_http://www.thefreedictionary.com/steersman”
(2) “_http://www.thefreedictionary.com/very+well”
(3) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture”
(4) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War

<snip>
:clap: :D

Bravo! “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.”(1). Or maybe the the sharpest form of caricature or satire. But in any case, as Oscar Wilde put it, “There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” (2). Or mocked in this case which is a substantial element of caricature.
… the other via the ivory tower (5). “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masturbate-a-thon”;
Depends, I guess, on how much seminal (6) influence there is. But learn something new everyday: “I came, I saw, I conquered.” (3). Although I tend more to “the pen is mightier than the sword” (4), but I suppose that depends heavily on what is in it, who uses it, and how (5).

------
1) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Caleb_Colton”;
2) “_http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/o/osc ... 81.html”;
3) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni,_vidi,_vici”;
4) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pen_is_mightier_than_the_sword”;
5) “_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ScNLt2zNc”;
6) “_http://www.thefreedictionary.com/seminal”;

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Submariner wrote:Just dropping this here. Enjoy!

Haha. Good one mate.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:@Steersman,

OK, possible reason for the gender bias in science towards men in that study(1) was because the men were all sexually inexperienced and not getting laid. Because if they were they would look more favourable on the female applicants(2). The women on the other hand were also biased towards men because they like sex(3) (presumably with men) even if they were not getting a regular oil change.

Should be simple enough to test this hypothesis if you ask me. I am contemplating sending an eMail to Shirley Tilghman(1) pointing this out. I wonder how she would react to this? Should be easy enough to set up a control group, and ask the women for example if they liked sex or not. But how would she go about ensuring the males were laid to their satisfaction?
<snip>
Might be a bit of a stretch, but I dunno. What say you?
<snip>
Bloody good show there, old chap. As a “philosophick romance” (1, 2), it is certainly at the very least on par with, if not substantially ahead of, “patriarchy theory”, and young-earth creationism which are, of course, kissing-cousins. ;-)
(lie back and think of England Science?)
Be prepared to take a pounding (3), or rise to the occasion as the case may be. Somewhat apropos of which, I was talking to my ex – who had had 3 kids by her first husband, although we were never technically “legal” ourselves, and had no “issues”, at least of that nature – the other day, and she had indicated that she had had the feeling that having kids was sort of a case of passing the torch, of doing her part to ensure that humanity “will not perish from the earth” (4) – so to speak. Of course not every woman, or every man for that matter, feels the same way – maybe fortunately – but it seems that many do, and that that is, generally speaking, quite an admirable feeling and motivation.

Although I’ve never been able to quite resolve the question – “now that I’m 93, I don’t give a damn, you see” (just kidding, Tigzy) – of whether the children should feel honoured or not about being pressed into service to reach that goal.

But, speaking of “social constructs”, it would seem, considering similar behaviours in other species, that that feeling and behaviour and psychology has a very substantial element of “nature” in it ….

-----
1) “_http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/ste/ste02.htm”;
2) “_http://choiceindying.com/2012/01/11/andrew-brown-has-lost-it-josh-rosenau-on-the-other-hand-doesnt-seem-to-have-ever-had-a-plot/#comment-9505”;
3) “_http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111005111229AAhi7kY”;
4) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettysburg_Address#Text_of_Gettysburg_Address”;

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

acathode wrote:Checking in on the Carrier A+ vid, I just can't help feeling some petty satisfaction that it now have 1000+ thumbs down and a 63% red lightsaber. I know it's a pointless stat, but considering his article begging for upvotes... there's this Swedish proverb, "The only true joy is schadenfreude" .
Considering that someone slipping on a banana peel is considered by some to be the paradigmatic example of “humour” – funny to most except the person doing the slipping – there certainly seems to be some element of truth to that proverb.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Steersman wrote:
acathode wrote:Checking in on the Carrier A+ vid, I just can't help feeling some petty satisfaction that it now have 1000+ thumbs down and a 63% red lightsaber. I know it's a pointless stat, but considering his article begging for upvotes... there's this Swedish proverb, "The only true joy is schadenfreude" .
Considering that someone slipping on a banana peel is considered by some to be the paradigmatic example of “humour” – funny to most except the person doing the slipping – there certainly seems to be some element of truth to that proverb.
[youtube]mV1LWhNpTJU[/youtube]

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Steersman wrote:
(youtube:mV1LWhNpTJU)
Maybe funnier to women than to men as someone argued that many if not most men are going to cringe in empathy as many have had similar experiences – one theory seems to be that that is a case of mirror neurons kicking in ….

[time to call it a day; night all ….]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Methinks the fraction of a european chub, is getting frustrated on twatter that i don't see his rightyness as confered upon him by the elders of the wickywackywoo tribe in the ceremony of smoketears. Therefore i am on the wrongside of history, his wickywackywoo smoke brothers agree, so the facts are on his spiritual domain, the spirit guide twohorseshead which was lent to him by chief walkswithbigpipe has shown him through the trial of hazejuice that the circle of feathers must be made whole before the third moon rising for history to be right.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I must have missed this twitter post from last year. Can't even tell if that's a joke or not.

Natalie Reed ‏@nataliereed84 15 Jun
Friendly reminder: DJ Grothe is a horrifying, creepy, rape-culture-apologist to a ridiculous, inhuman degree. Cheers!

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Submariner wrote:Thanks pitch. It was a lot of fun making that one.
Fun vid thanks.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Submariner wrote:Thanks pitch. It was a lot of fun making that one.
The Vacula impersonation is spot-on.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Richard Carrier reminds me of Andy Dick without the charm and charisma.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Apples wrote:Richard Carrier reminds me of Andy Dick without the charm and charisma.
Carrier-Bag reminds me of Graham Lister from Vic Reeves Big Night Out in both looks and personality.
https://si0.twimg.com/profile_images/18 ... 6457_n.jpg

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Apples wrote:Richard Carrier reminds me of Andy Dick without the charm and charisma.
It is the indicator of an ideologue that he credits the downvotes to 'haters' and as evidence there is an issue. He seems to ignore or be unaware that maybe some simply do not like his authoritarian stance or wish to be forced into a philosophy they do not agree with or have no interest in. Also, many of us know most of the 'issues' he brings up are from trolls or manufactured. There is no evidence they are from atheists or represent any large portion of the 'atheist community'. There is no evidence of a structural issue at all. There is just evidence that the internet sucks sometimes.

No matter what he does or says he will get self affirmation. That is not a healthy mind state to be in. He has put himself into a position that is not falsifiable and will only be correct by pure chance.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 0ba3b1.png

Does it? I've never been to Japan, so I wouldn't know. I've been friends/collaborators with a number of Japanese scientists, and I follow some aspects of Japanese culture (cooking, crafts, manga), but that's just dabbling. I don't think they make women wear burqas or stone them to death for talking to men who aren't relatives or spouses. "Criminally" implies "deserving of punishment," and I would want to experience the culture for myself before making such a sweeping judgment. But that's just me. ::shrugs::

Imagine replacing "Japan" in that tweet with another country ... say a Middle Eastern, Islamic country. Oh, the outrage! Islamophobia!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Jack wrote:
It is the indicator of an ideologue that he credits the downvotes to 'haters' and as evidence there is an issue.
I'm sure if the video was well-liked Carrier would say it's evidence of how much the community wants and needs AtheismPlus.
He can claim a win either way.

TBH i never watched more than a minute of the video, downvoted it and left a snarky comment solely on the basis of Carrier whinging about the haters on his blog and begging for upvotes.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

BarnOwl wrote:http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 0ba3b1.png

Does it? I've never been to Japan, so I wouldn't know. I've been friends/collaborators with a number of Japanese scientists, and I follow some aspects of Japanese culture (cooking, crafts, manga), but that's just dabbling. I don't think they make women wear burqas or stone them to death for talking to men who aren't relatives or spouses. "Criminally" implies "deserving of punishment," and I would want to experience the culture for myself before making such a sweeping judgment. But that's just me. ::shrugs::

Imagine replacing "Japan" in that tweet with another country ... say a Middle Eastern, Islamic country. Oh, the outrage! Islamophobia!
I suppose the recent American fad of getting people to watch "two-girls-one-cup" is evidence of a criminally sexist culture too?

Fuck off PZ.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Cunning Punt wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
nippletwister wrote:I have no memories of Zoom...but I will always remember Pueblo Colorado 81009.

Do you know what the queers are doing to the soil??????
I have never heard of Pueblo Colorado 81009, but what's this about queers and soil? I'm pretty good at making different soil mixes for different plants, so if queers can affect soil somehow, I'd like to know about it. Is this something to do with why gay men run so many flower shops?
It's all the onanism.
Ah, I see. That might provide some good plant food at each finish! :)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Slither wrote:Here's Bernadette giving a lesson on how to do her Zoom arm trick:
http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/80c53 ... -you-do-it

Enjoy!
That's the one!!! I've never forgotten how to do it, even though it was over 30 years ago. Thanks. :D

Apples

Post by Apples »

So painful to read Pharyngulites going full Setard when talking about political philosophy/economics -- the complacent ignorance and naivete reminds me of an Uncommon Descent thread. Libertarianism is nothing more than "fuck you, I've got mine?" Amazing that "fuck you, I've got mine" has won Nobels and National Book Awards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Nozick

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Even better is the fact that you just know he's genuinely butthurt about it. :D

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:
Even better is the fact that you just know he's genuinely butthurt about it. :D
Genuinely, positively and totally butthurt.
It's beautiful.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8253/8623 ... 3153f0.jpg

Apples

Post by Apples »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Genuinely, positively and totally butthurt.
It's beautiful.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8253/8623 ... 3153f0.jpg
:D All he needs to do now is cut that corpse open and take refuge in its stinking guts.

http://s3.media.squarespace.com/product ... untaun.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Apples wrote:
:D All he needs to do now is cut that corpse open and take refuge in its stinking guts.

http://s3.media.squarespace.com/product ... untaun.jpg
Tentacle rape.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

It's brilliant. But that proverb doesn't really work in English, does it?

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Wow...

So Japanese culture, in it's entirety, can be summed up in one word because of a very niche-within-a-niche segment of one element of their porn industry? No mentions of how tentacle porn is often looked down upon as an "otaku" thing in Japan, and otaku is an embarassing label to carry over there (as opposed to western anime/manga fans who use the label as an affectionate label of their fandom of those mediums). No mention that "Japanese culture", as any national culture, encompasses a vast variety of art, language, cuisine, architecture, history and achievements. Toss all that aside because according to PZ we'll just define a whole culture by one tiny niche category of it's pornography industry.

If I were to use PZ's SJW language I'd describe him as an Amero-centric whitesplainer, but I'll choose to instead refer to him as an ignorant ass.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

When I read his "with us or against us" crap at Ftb, I instantly thought of this little gem:

"You're a cheating, weasley, low-life scumbucket, with all the charm and social grace of a pubic louse" (Dave Lister speaking to Arnold Rimmer)

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lra16 ... o1_500.jpg