Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
windy

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by windy »

Tony Parsehole wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... -policies/

Greta Christina and her amazing mind-reading abilities. Now she's telling all the naysayers that the SkepTech policy stating:
"Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks."
Actually means:
Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any official conference venue, including talks/ panels/ presentations, except when directly relevant to the topic of the talk/ panel/ presentation.
That's the "obvious intent" according to Mystic Greta.
Why don't they just say "SexIST language and imagery is not appropriate..." and so on?? They could still define "sexist" in any way they please, but at least the policy wouldn't be ridiculous on its face.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

franc wrote:I'll just leave this here -

Evangeline = Eucliwood

http://i.imgur.com/vYwaysy.png

She likes her own writing. Bless.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

That shit is xilarious.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Jonathan wrote:

Evangeline = Eucliwood

She likes her own writing. Bless.
The first time I read it, I thought it said Amanda Marcotte!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

AbsurdWalls wrote:That shit is xilarious.
Xi agree. Xit's also cryptic. Xi still don't get all this made-up pronoun stuff.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Eucliwood is starting to remind me of this (nerd alert):

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=201230

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

This one's for you Doc Neeson.

[youtube]i_py6WbMV1k[/youtube]

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Evangeline = Eucliwood

The pronouns make her sounds she's refering to some sort of special title like a Dear Leader, Emporer or Flash Gordon villain or something. I'm almost expecting her to say "kneel before Xe!!! or Xir will summon the Death Ray!!!"

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Stretchycheese wrote: The pronouns make her sounds she's refering to some sort of special title like a Dear Leader, Emporer or Flash Gordon villain or something. I'm almost expecting her to say "kneel before Xe!!! or Xir will summon the Death Ray!!!"
Arggh, I miss an edit button. :( I always think faster than I type.

Meant to say "The pronouns make her sound like she's referring to..... etc....."

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Night Steers!

You know, regarding "rape culture" and bad werdz, I'm starting to get where they might be coming from (took me what, 2 years...). I think it's not that these gendered slurs diminish all women when used, like some magic spell or something, but are more dependent on who you are throwing them at, and what company you are in when you do so. I can totally picture some frat boys harassing a girl and using "cunt", "slut"... and I would say it might reinforce some kind of "underground rape culture" in that group of meatheads. Or if not rape culture, at the very least some type of stupid stereotypes against women.

Now, in certain circles, internet culture is no different than frat culture (which I find cretinous at best, and bloody repulsive at worst). But I also know that this argument about gendered slurs stems from atheist and skeptic discussions on forums and blogs, which usually tend to be devoid of that frat culture (at least, I hope so). It's really dependent on context and what company you have. If your use of "cunt" towards a woman reinforces misogynist stereotype in an audience that already has some of those stereotypes, I have to admit I am 100% behind Greta, Ophelia and all the others.

But in return, I'd like them to understand that most of us here, when using those slurs, do it in the same way they use them: as jokes, parody, derision, and yes sometimes, to just annoy them. We are in a virtual pub, talking about people that are not here, we are not talking to them directly. If Ophelia was to come and post here, I'd be more than sure to refrain from using gendered slurs. Same for anyone who would object with their use.

But between us, here, on a forum that no one forces them to read (just like Greta's book), I don't see a problem with using them.
I think you really don't get where they're coming from. I agree with what you're saying here about "cunt", but they don't - they're saying that it's not dependent on who you're talking to or what situation you're in. At least, that's the impression I get from them. That's why Ophie (diminutives are insults!) et. al don't come here and discuss it - then they would have to defend this, and it's indefensible.

It's pretty much the same attitude many people have toward "nigger". It's pretty common nowadays for white people (at least in the U.S.) to avoid saying it completely, even when quoting someone else who said it or talking about the word itself. On a semi-related note, Samuel L. Jackson would fit in well on the pit:

[youtube]O-Ho1JRhaFs[/youtube]

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

This is a response to a day old post, but the Boston thing came up.
Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Same sort of problem, I think, with some of Thunderfoot videos on feminism poisoning atheism. Both need to be a little more circumspect in differentiating between "equity feminism" as a reasonable if incomplete paradigm and more "virulent" manifestations of the principles.
Yea, I was sort of thinking of GWW and that video of hers as I was writing that comment. But I still think my point holds as I think both Thunderfoot and, apparently, Pizzey aren't clear in differentiating the spectrum of feminist ideologies.

And while I didn't watch GWW again, my recollection is that she was pretty dismissive of "nice" feminists. Maybe she
She made very good points, but her snarky delivery reminds me too much of Rebecca Watson. She reiterates what I have been saying, feminism has broken into a multitude of various ideologies all calling themselves "feminists" and yes the feminism taught in universities is abhorrent. The entire piece is obvious to anyone who knows anything about feminism and identity politics. Her call to action of equity feminists was noted, but look what happens to equity feminists who do take a stand. Old school feminists happily label women like ERV, Blu, and Sacha as old school equity feminists and wonder why more women won't or do not want to identify as feminists when the answer is obvious, the radical feminists have taken over the media and academia. Who wants to identify as a feminist when that means dogpiling behaviours, threatening emails, phone calls to bosses, and doxing?

Here's the thing I have noted and mentioned before. Any ideology is going to have identity politics. It's happening to the MRAs now, though I don't think they have noticed yet.

I have mentioned before the possibility of some ideologies of feminism, and some of the saner MRAs working together. Some feminists do want equality, and that would include parental rights. Common goals that men and women could work towards, instead of screaming at each other or making snarky videos.

It does seem obvious to me, that both the terms MRA and feminism now have too much baggage to be useful for the idea of equality of people.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Jesus - Setar has groupies??

That's got to be a sign of the impending apocalypse, surely.

Barael

Post by Barael »

Tigzy wrote:Jesus - Setar has groupies??

I was just gonna post that, verbatim.

Notung

Post by Notung »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-227113
Stephanie Zvan wrote:Meet Skep tickle, everyone, in case you wanted to know why I only bother to deal with these people in a highly structured environment. And now she goes back into moderation.
If it was me that would be the last straw. Just saying!

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

For when someone is talking out of their ass:

[youtube]YTGnh0rcQsc[/youtube]

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Two words that should never be in proximity are "Greta Christina" and "erotica".

Have been too afraid to visit FfTB lately. Has Ophie made the Boston bombing about her yet?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Zenspace wrote: While I remain neutral on the suggestion to exit the dialog, this is otherwise an excellent point. If I got one thing out of Svans response, it was the intent to obfuscate as much as possible. While one 'sides' posts were awfully verbose, it was easily understood in intent. Svan's posts were written such that I had to keep going back to reread, wondering 'wtf does that even mean?' Her current behavior on her own blog only serves to further confirm that opinion.
You too?

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Notung wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-227113
Stephanie Zvan wrote:Meet Skep tickle, everyone, in case you wanted to know why I only bother to deal with these people in a highly structured environment. And now she goes back into moderation.

Commenter in Ms Zvan's blog comments section"
Hello, (ello) (llo) (o) I just wanted to say (ay) (y) what a great (reat) (ate) job your doing (oing) (ing)....
[/disgust]

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Evangeline = Eucliwood

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... 5a6ac9.jpg

Southern

Post by Southern »

Barael wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Jesus - Setar has groupies??

I was just gonna post that, verbatim.
Is that really a surprise? Xis Xitness likes to pose as a broken, "artistic", "no one understands me!" person. There is a special kind of women that swallows this crap whole, hook and sink.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Eucliwood is starting to remind me of this (nerd alert):

made a takklemaggot deck once, because its such an awful card with a ridiculous amount of text

retired it after i finally managed to kill someone with two takklemaggots

they never quite lived that down :D

(nerd alerted)

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Dick Strawkins wrote: At the moment it's nearly easier to sneak into North Korea than it is to get a comment on Nugents 'dialogue' site.
And I had fully intended to participate more, but the very structure and rules I feel have stifled conversation and stalled talk on points on non-relevance to the bigger picture. Judging by the low commentary numbers of recent posts I see I'm not the only one who has felt that the process and structure is so overbearing that nothing is actually happening.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

16bitheretic wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: At the moment it's nearly easier to sneak into North Korea than it is to get a comment on Nugents 'dialogue' site.
And I had fully intended to participate more, but the very structure and rules I feel have stifled conversation and stalled talk on points on non-relevance to the bigger picture. Judging by the low commentary numbers of recent posts I see I'm not the only one who has felt that the process and structure is so overbearing that nothing is actually happening.
I think there should be a discussion on there (it might be cued up for later or we could fork it in now) about moderation. For example, does having a moderated blog make you responsible for the comments you choose to allow through? As an example we could point to Setar's idiotic (and unfortunately timed) comment about the Slymepit bombing places.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Speaking of PC language over at Ophie's place: Remember a man, a plan, and a spray can?

Francisco Bacopa

April 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm (UTC -7)

I used to sometimes worry about using “douchebag” as an insult for fear it might be a gendered insult. Now I say it proudly. The vaginal douche is a useless solution to mostly nonexistent problems that only makes things worse when there are the occasional real problems.

So I suppose that means “douchebag” is still a gendered insult. But a positive one! A douchebag is at best useless, and at times damaging to women To call someone a douchebag is to say that one is at best useless, and at worst harmful to women.

If Dawkins doesn’t get a clue soon he is almost there.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Speaking of PC language over at Ophie's place: Remember a man, a plan, and a spray can?

Francisco Bacopa

April 15, 2013 at 9:44 pm (UTC -7)

I used to sometimes worry about using “douchebag” as an insult for fear it might be a gendered insult. Now I say it proudly. The vaginal douche is a useless solution to mostly nonexistent problems that only makes things worse when there are the occasional real problems.

So I suppose that means “douchebag” is still a gendered insult. But a positive one! A douchebag is at best useless, and at times damaging to women To call someone a douchebag is to say that one is at best useless, and at worst harmful to women.

If Dawkins doesn’t get a clue soon he is almost there.
I wonder, if Francisco is going to go around tagging innocent women's (and men's) houses with spraypaint, would that be useless? Or actually harmful to women?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Metalogic42 wrote:
I think you really don't get where they're coming from.
*sigh* Back to the drawing board, then...

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Tony Parsehole wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... -policies/

Greta Christina and her amazing mind-reading abilities. Now she's telling all the naysayers that the SkepTech policy stating:
"Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any conference venue, including talks."
Actually means:
Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any official conference venue, including talks/ panels/ presentations, except when directly relevant to the topic of the talk/ panel/ presentation.
That's the "obvious intent" according to Mystic Greta.

Get.
A.
Fucking.
Grip.
Your policies aren't worth shit if you are going to interpret them however you fucking please, to the point of blatant contradiction, as soon as they start to affect you.

"Alright, that was my talk on sex. And now we have some QA. ... wait ... no QA, you're not allowed to mention it. You have to go outside ... thanks" Almost like a bizarre kind of church.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

katamari Damassi wrote: Have been too afraid to visit FfTB lately. Has Ophie made the Boston bombing about her yet?
I'll give her to the end of the week.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Evangeline = Eucliwood

Angry Cat.JPG
(31.23 KiB) Downloaded 438 times

Whew! Who knew those SJW xirls(?) could whip out those competitive female claws with such enthusiasm. I guess some things never change. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand - Setar!?!?! Really!?!?!? :shock:

Them's some pretty low standards by my reckoning.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Zenspace wrote:

Evangeline = Eucliwood

Angry Cat.JPG

Whew! Who knew those SJW xirls(?) could whip out those competitive female claws with such enthusiasm. I guess some things never change. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand - Setar!?!?! Really!?!?!? :shock:

Them's some pretty low standards by my reckoning.
I am increasingly thinking this is a poe.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dilurk wrote:This is a response to a day old post, but the Boston thing came up.
Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
Same sort of problem, I think, with some of Thunderfoot videos on feminism poisoning atheism. Both need to be a little more circumspect in differentiating between "equity feminism" as a reasonable if incomplete paradigm and more "virulent" manifestations of the principles.
Yea, I was sort of thinking of GWW and that video of hers as I was writing that comment. But I still think my point holds as I think both Thunderfoot and, apparently, Pizzey aren't clear in differentiating the spectrum of feminist ideologies.

And while I didn't watch GWW again, my recollection is that she was pretty dismissive of "nice" feminists. Maybe she
She made very good points, but her snarky delivery reminds me too much of Rebecca Watson.
Oh noes! The kiss of death! :-)
I have mentioned before the possibility of some ideologies of feminism, and some of the saner MRAs working together. Some feminists do want equality, and that would include parental rights. Common goals that men and women could work towards, instead of screaming at each other or making snarky videos.
Quite agree. Why I think it important to recognize the saner individuals in each camp - why I was rather surprised that AVfM recently came down against trying to dox that red-haired woman protesting at the U of T - commendably and with some justification, although it might be moot.

But someone posted this link to a SMBC cartoon which I think hits that nail squarely on the head.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Jonathan wrote:
I am increasingly thinking this is a poe.
That would certainly make more sense to me.

I think the ground just got a bit more solid under my feet. Thanks!

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

katamari Damassi wrote:Two words that should never be in proximity are "Greta Christina" and "erotica".

Have been too afraid to visit FfTB lately. Has Ophie made the Boston bombing about her yet?
Clearly stochastic terrorism is responsible.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

rpguest wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:Eucliwood is starting to remind me of this (nerd alert):

made a takklemaggot deck once, because its such an awful card with a ridiculous amount of text

retired it after i finally managed to kill someone with two takklemaggots

they never quite lived that down :D

(nerd alerted)
Wizards employs vacuous shitbag trolls.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Steersman wrote:--snipped--

But someone posted this link to a SMBC cartoon which I think hits that nail squarely on the head.
I like that comic, but I think it has too negative a view of crazy assholes. Crazy assholishness is a spectrum and we are all like that on some days. Beyond that, even if someone is a crazy asshole most of the time, crazy assholes can have their uses. Sometimes they draw attention to real issues, or make good points even if they can't be reasoned with otherwise. Often they are acting like crazy assholes because they care about the issues. If you want to have a calm discussion, then not including the crazy assholes might help, but you shouldn't dismiss them out of hand or ignore them completely.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

LMU wrote:
Steersman wrote:--snipped--

I like that comic, but I think it has too negative a view of crazy assholes. Crazy assholishness is a spectrum and we are all like that on some days. Beyond that, even if someone is a crazy asshole most of the time, crazy assholes can have their uses. Sometimes they draw attention to real issues, or make good points even if they can't be reasoned with otherwise. Often they are acting like crazy assholes because they care about the issues. If you want to have a calm discussion, then not including the crazy assholes might help, but you shouldn't dismiss them out of hand or ignore them completely.
Which is why even trolls can be a valuable addition to a discussion.

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

Okay, any remaining respect I had for Eucliwood is gooone. What the fucking fuck is she on about. Acting like a fucking groupie towards motherfucking Setard? I threw up in my mouth. Seriously. I had barley-porridge as a snack and thanks to Eucliwood I ate some of it twice.

Also, what the fuck is up with Eucliwood's demand of "respecting" Setard's wish that everyone uses HIS preferred pronoun? "Xe" is not a fucking pronoun. From the mothertrucking dictionary on what "xe" is:
The goddamn dictionary wrote: Xe

— the chemical symbol for
xenon
Fuck off Eucliwood.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Oneiros666 wrote:Also, what the fuck is up with Eucliwood's demand of "respecting" Setard's wish that everyone uses HIS preferred pronoun? "Xe" is not a fucking pronoun. From the mothertrucking dictionary on what "xe" is:
Where is that happening?

Oneiros666

Post by Oneiros666 »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Oneiros666 wrote:Also, what the fuck is up with Eucliwood's demand of "respecting" Setard's wish that everyone uses HIS preferred pronoun? "Xe" is not a fucking pronoun. From the mothertrucking dictionary on what "xe" is:
Where is that happening?
Pay attention, dude.
Evangeline Claire/Eucliwood wrote:And Michael, actually members of the pit and I think some people here do indeed call Setar by xirs preferred pronouns rather than trying to call them "he" since Setar doesn't identify as a he. Genderqueer and trans respect and all that. It's really not that ridiculous. Just two changes to remember. Not a bunch of xazle or anything.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oneiros666 wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
Where is that happening?
Pay attention, dude.
Evangeline Claire/Eucliwood wrote:And Michael, actually members of the pit and I think some people here do indeed call Setar by xirs preferred pronouns rather than trying to call them "he" since Setar doesn't identify as a he. Genderqueer and trans respect and all that. It's really not that ridiculous. Just two changes to remember. Not a bunch of xazle or anything.
Hahahaah, Wooo used "Setar" and "respect" on the same sentence. That's hilarious.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Oneiros666 wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
Where is that happening?
Pay attention, dude.
Ah, I didn't read that as a "demand".

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

Steersman wrote:
Dilurk wrote: I have mentioned before the possibility of some ideologies of feminism, and some of the saner MRAs working together. Some feminists do want equality, and that would include parental rights. Common goals that men and women could work towards, instead of screaming at each other or making snarky videos.
Quite agree. Why I think it important to recognize the saner individuals in each camp - why I was rather surprised that AVfM recently came down against trying to dox that red-haired woman protesting at the U of T - commendably and with some justification, although it might be moot.

There are surprising discussions going on quietly in the background already. The crazies will eventually all be ignored in the end.

Richard Dawkins claims he need not help us here in Canada, but from where I am sitting, we sure could use some help, and not this infighting between ourselves. Our government appointed an "office of religious freedom", which really means "We'll pay attention if there is oil involved" and, "atheists have nothing to worry about" attitude is worrisome. I really want to see us united here at least in Canada, we have a lot of work to do.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Southern wrote:
Oneiros666 wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:
Where is that happening?
Pay attention, dude.
Hahahaah, Wooo used "Setar" and "respect" on the same sentence. That's hilarious.
Add "brandishing boxcutters" for alliteration.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Oneiros666 wrote:Okay, any remaining respect I had for Eucliwood is gooone. What the fucking fuck is she on about. Acting like a fucking groupie towards motherfucking Setard? I threw up in my mouth. Seriously. I had barley-porridge as a snack and thanks to Eucliwood I ate some of it twice.

Also, what the fuck is up with Eucliwood's demand of "respecting" Setard's wish that everyone uses HIS preferred pronoun? "Xe" is not a fucking pronoun. From the mothertrucking dictionary on what "xe" is:
The goddamn dictionary wrote: Xe

— the chemical symbol for
xenon
Fuck off Eucliwood.
To quote from the updated PC Jack and the Beanstalk; "Xe xi xo xum- I smell the blood of a gender fluid xuman".

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

I just read some of those comments, what a bunch of hateful cunts.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

clownshoe wrote:
Now now, some of them are being nice:
Also, Zvan: hot damn, you would make an excellent diplomant. You’re sticking to your points, and only conceeding when it does not effect those points or allows you to argue in favour of them later. You’re being carefully aggressive, asking for clarity or using the “no objections = you agree” approach to force them to be more defined. I figured you’d be an excellent person to represent “our side,” and you’ve exceeded those expectations.
Forget the LHC, we should really be concerned about spontaneous black holes forming as a result of the monumental sucking sounds coming out of Almost Diamonds.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

clownshoe wrote:
Also omitting the fact that not all posts get through, including one from Skep Tickle asking about Setar's bomb comment. It's massaging the responses to promote a belief that must not be questioned. It's nothing to do with being offensive or stopping trolls either, that's a pure smokescreen. It's simple censorship of alternate points of view and a complete sham. It is like a Scientist reaching a conclusion then finding the evidence for it. It is not rational and anti-intellectual. Just like Creationists and believers of woo I find their whole attitude of superiority laughable and their dismissal of truth and reality vacuous. Nothing more than cult like behaviour.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Jack, you are quite right. Zvan is practicing what might be called tactical moderation to create a wholly false picture of her opponents, and the dialogue on her blog. We have, of course, absolutely no idea what kind of stuff is not let through, and so there is no way to know what the real picture is, in terms of what any opposing opinions might be. I even tried to post a comment actually agreeing my Myers's (quelle surprise indeed!) comment about the turgid writing style on Nugent's experiment, and Zvan didn't even let that go through.

We've known all along that she is an unscrupulous individual; nonetheless, although I feel a map is required to get through her latest post of Nugent's experiment, I find I am in agreement with her more than I am in disagreement. Yes, there are some instances of extreme non-sequitor type stuff. and some logical fallacies, but trying to respond to the very first statement, and to a lesser degree, Skep Shiek's comment looks rather challenging to me.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

Jack wrote:
clownshoe wrote:
Also omitting the fact that not all posts get through, including one from Skep Tickle asking about Setar's bomb comment. It's massaging the responses to promote a belief that must not be questioned. It's nothing to do with being offensive or stopping trolls either, that's a pure smokescreen. It's simple censorship of alternate points of view and a complete sham. It is like a Scientist reaching a conclusion then finding the evidence for it. It is not rational and anti-intellectual. Just like Creationists and believers of woo I find their whole attitude of superiority laughable and their dismissal of truth and reality vacuous. Nothing more than cult like behaviour.
That being the case, most of the regular posters then (unless they visit the Slymepit or stumble upon a comment about Zvan's censorship somewhere else) would be unaware that their perspective is being heavily manipulated. It's very sad (but telling) that people who've perhaps escaped the oppression of religious structure have run straight into another form of it.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
cunt wrote:http://yes-ze-did.tumblr.com/post/44017 ... o-aquapunk

Apparently there's a weird section on tumblr with people who fantasise about being transformers.
My headcanon for Cybertronians is that there are a multitude of different pronouns for different groups, rather than one collective ungendered pronoun. And pronouns would be based on form and/or function. Triplechangers, minibots, towers mechs would have their own pronouns. I even think the Prime(s) would have their own pronoun. I would LOVE to see a fic that reflected this, used a wide variety of pronouns other than he/she, and built on a deep culture that’s different from our own. c:
It's bad enough some adults want to be a cartoon robot who can turn into a car. Adding social justice rules to the fantasy just makes me suicidal.
Two days off from The Pit (mostly on airplanes) and this is the first topic I walk into.
Fairly recently I heard John Cleese say that; "Once you accept that the world is a complete fucking madhouse and act accordingly, life becomes a great deal easier". That's starting to sound like some mighty sage advice.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

John Greg wrote:Jack, you are quite right. Zvan is practicing what might be called tactical moderation to create a wholly false picture of her opponents, and the dialogue on her blog. We have, of course, absolutely no idea what kind of stuff is not let through, and so there is no way to know what the real picture is, in terms of what any opposing opinions might be. I even tried to post a comment actually agreeing my Myers's (quelle surprise indeed!) comment about the turgid writing style on Nugent's experiment, and Zvan didn't even let that go through.

We've known all along that she is an unscrupulous individual; nonetheless, although I feel a map is required to get through her latest post of Nugent's experiment, I find I am in agreement with her more than I am in disagreement. Yes, there are some instances of extreme non-sequitor type stuff. and some logical fallacies, but trying to respond to the very first statement, and to a lesser degree, Skep Shiek's comment looks rather challenging to me.

IMO the next step to be taken needs to be some definitions that have to be agreed to on the "Structured dialogue". She's defining "dramatic readings" as harassment in her latest post. She's also saying if you don't specifically disagree with a point, you agree by default.

Therefore, if unchallenged, every action she includes in that post becomes de facto harassment.

That's just one line of her last 2 posts. Fine toothed combs everyone. If you don't object, it means you agree.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Dick Strawkins wrote:...At the moment it's nearly easier to sneak into North Korea than it is to get a comment on Nugents 'dialogue' site.
And about as rewarding.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Zvan:
3. Postmodern critiques of measurement and classification have been extremely useful in at least the social sciences. Otherwise, I agree.
Tell me if this would be anything but an ink waster.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

John Greg wrote:Jack, you are quite right. Zvan is practicing what might be called tactical moderation to create a wholly false picture of her opponents, and the dialogue on her blog. We have, of course, absolutely no idea what kind of stuff is not let through, and so there is no way to know what the real picture is, in terms of what any opposing opinions might be. I even tried to post a comment actually agreeing my Myers's (quelle surprise indeed!) comment about the turgid writing style on Nugent's experiment, and Zvan didn't even let that go through.

There is nothing in our first statement she should have had any issue with. The reverse was also true to an extent. A lot of what she says was in full agreement but constructed as if it was not. It was as if she had come up with a great idea, constructed in such a way so we seem heartless, but in fact we had already covered it. The additional problem is people's ability to wander off track and play word games to gain some sort of emotional advantage (including sticking in some emotive pictures) It just shows to me the post modernist style of arguing is not only useless it is highly damaging when trying to reach common understanding. The assertion of moral superiority wins and playing that game is the reason they come across as so dictatorial, patronising and on occasion deeply offensive.

I still want Setar to answer Skep Tickles question on his bomb comment. She/he is a fundamental part of A+ so I want to know if that sort of comment is supported by Zvan and Carrier. It is disgusting and the fact it can't be addressed is the reason so much resentment builds up. I can only assume they like that resentment as it feeds into their narrative. Shameful.

Hey Carrier, come here and explain yourself. Explain how you can assert moral superiority when people like Setar represent what you are asking for. Tell me why I should stop laughing at you.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

clownshoe wrote:
Jack wrote:
clownshoe wrote:
That being the case, most of the regular posters then (unless they visit the Slymepit or stumble upon a comment about Zvan's censorship somewhere else) would be unaware that their perspective is being heavily manipulated. It's very sad (but telling) that people who've perhaps escaped the oppression of religious structure have run straight into another form of it.
Incredible isn't it? They fell out of one dogma into another. Some people just have to believe through faith. They are lost without it. As to not reading here, people like PMZ say even registering here is a bannable offence, just as any cult leader bans their member from looking outside. He should be encouraging his followers to register here and discuss but..he says the opposite.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Gefan wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:...At the moment it's nearly easier to sneak into North Korea than it is to get a comment on Nugents 'dialogue' site.
And about as rewarding.
There was a BBC programme recently on N Korea from a visiting reporter with a hidden camera. It was striking how similar their manipulation of facts and oppression of any unaccepted opinions is with groups such as A+. If anyone wants to see Carriers future there it is.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:So Greta Christina writes a load of reasons why her pervy rape fiction book, for people to read and wank over, is A-OK but calling people cunts is contributing to a rape culture? Get a fucking grip.
I have nothing against her writing a book filled with whatever fantasies she likes, that's the glory of freedom of expression, but she can't on the one hand condone it AND side with people like Watson (who think bad words are the end of civilisation) without coming across as an inconsistent hypocrite.
Sounds like a reasonable argument. Although it seems that one could also argue that they’re not exaclty analogous situations. In the case of the book, one is consenting to hearing “bad werdz” and reading of questionable if not illegal actions such as rape, whereas in the case of Watson being targeted with sexual epithets and sexual cartoons, it would seem her freedom of choice has been abrogated.
Given how many of the dips at FTB et al have said that saying "cunt" is ALWAYS bad, (unless they're the one's saying it), nah, she's being a hypocritical bitch there.

welch

Post by welch »

KNEEL BEFORE XOD!!!!

also, fuck setar. fuck him right in his ear with his fucking dipnouns. When he stops acting like a petulant child, I'll see about giving a fuck about his pronounsical demands.

no, i actually won't.

windy

Post by windy »

Submariner wrote: IMO the next step to be taken needs to be some definitions that have to be agreed to on the "Structured dialogue". She's defining "dramatic readings" as harassment in her latest post.
Isn't a "dramatic reading" more or less a YouTube version of the Gumby/Comic sans quote? Is that also harassment?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

The most awesome cancer boyfriend ever? The one that does this:

http://beliefblower.com/audio/stpdedication.mp3 - KISW Seattle Beat the Producer - BJ Shea Morning Experience 4/16/13 7 am PST sound bite

Back to your regularly scheduled hypocrisy spotlighting!