Post by DownThunder »

Well that post failed.

Why is SLY and P capitalised?

Is it supposed to say "slyp me it"?

Rape culture?

Dick Strawkins

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Ophelias page of non-stop whining targets Sara Mayhew again.

http://i.imgur.com/heg3zpT.jpg

Do you think Ophelia really means that?
She will refrain from ever mentioning herself again?

:liar:

http://i.imgur.com/IlZDIpY.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

DownThunder wrote:Well that post failed.

Rape culture?
No special message.
The original album cover the picture is based on has a similarly random mix of capitals and non capitals.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photo ... indthe.jpg

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
DownThunder wrote:Well that post failed.

Rape culture?
No special message.
The original album cover the picture is based on has a similarly random mix of capitals and non capitals.

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photo ... indthe.jpg
Just joking. Though the patriarchy does work in strange and mysterious ways.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 3acef9.png

So Bacopa has backed off on the proposed trespassing and vandalism, and now his advice to Ophelia is "lawyer up." For what, exactly? Pre-emptive legal strike? They all sound like spoiled drama-llama adolescents, flouncing and puling. Do you suppose Ophelia ever stops and thinks "I'm a middle-aged+ woman, and this is the shit I obsess over and whinge about all day, every day. All these dishonest comments on my blog and contributions from people who have less money that I do - that's what I've accomplished ...."?

Honestly, Justin, the best thing you could do (IMHO) is to NOT go to the conference. If the plane tickets are non-refundable, then just go to DC on a fact-finding mission or to meet with allies for your secularism projects and interests. It wouldn't be a "win" for Myers, Benson, et al. - instead it deflates their drama and ruins their usual cocktail of shit-stirring and mendacious crap. It'll be a stretch for them to paint themselves as victims.

Besides, do you really want to sit through several discussion sessions that feature Benson as a panelist?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Ah, the Butterfly Stencil Stalker strikes again.

Yah, I think I'd rather spend a couple days at the Smithsonian. At least there you can examine real fossils.

Hunt

Re: Hunt?

Post by Hunt »

Michael K Gray wrote:The poster called "Hunt" may be interested in this recent post by a bible scholar:
Building a Hedge around the Historical Jesus
Dickson’s post is the usual litany of supposedly solid evidence that we’ve all seen before. Most of it is of the “throw-it-on-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks” variety.
All right, how did I end up rummaging through old history books and scouring the web for information about Tiberius? It’s as if Dickson rolled up a ball of tinfoil, waved it in front of my eyes, and then tossed it into the woods.
“See this, boy? See it? Go get it!”
Several hours later I think to myself, how did I get here? And consider poor Matthew Ferguson. He has spent an enormous amount of time debunking this claim. It’s a thorough job. He nailed it. Squashed it flat.
But here’s the problem: It doesn’t do any good. It won’t change anyone’s mind. The people who come up with these “facts” don’t care about whether they’re true or not.
“So it was wrong. So what? I’ve got a thousand more balls of tinfoil, ready for tossing. And guess what? You’ll go chase them every time.”
Consider Dickson’s claim about non-Christian sources for Jesus. He includes “Mara,” by which he means Mara Bar-Serapion. Only in the study of the historical Jesus would a letter dated between 73 C.E. and the third century with a vague reference to the execution of the “wise king”¹ of the Jews be considered “hard evidence.”

Nuts. I did it again. Put down the tinfoil, Tim.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

I'm sure Justin will be thrilled to find out that "learning your lesson" after saying something stupid is supposedly good enough.

welch

Post by welch »

franc wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
cunt wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:Just upgraded my Linux Ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04, with a snazzy Mac OX theme (including the bottom dock)

[img]http://www.alstefanelli.com/desktop_small.jpg
[/img]
Just get a mac. The amount of time you'll spend trying to make it look and behave like a mac is probably worth the price difference.
I can't afford a mac, and besides, Linux is Unix based and behaves pretty damned well. :D
It's always satisfying watching people make the leap of faith beyond the grasp of the Cupertino feudal overlords only to express surprise when they discover that there is absolutely nothing that can't be done with free, legal software just as well, if not better.

Mac is FreeBSD based - BSD is not Linux, but they share the same ancestor. What is interesting is that 10 years ago, Microsoft was committed to scorched earth destruction of Linux - but have since come to realise there is value in the GreatEvil that was going to destroy the entire software industry and have now cracked the top twenty kernel contributor list.

Apple OTOH, while quite happy to exploit the "free" part of the FreeBSD license, have not returned a single cent to the BSD community.

Yes, franc ♥ Apple.

BSD or open source. In either case, you're actually factually wrong. The most recent examples would be their replacement for the GCC toolchain, LLVM/Clang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clang. Includes a debugger with some notable improvements on GDB as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLDB_(debugger)

What you don't know about Apple other than what you choose to rant about would fill volumes. Maybe you should stop cherry picking your data on Apple so much, or only reading what already agrees with you.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/JSmkXLV.jpg
Awesome! I am so stealing that.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

I would love to witness Benson in a lawyer's office trying to retain (most likely for free) services relating to who-the-fuck-knows-what-exactly concerning Justin Vacula.
A Wymyn's Legal Center of some kind would most likely actually take the job but the inevitable impasse over actual, you know, billing would be a hoot. Most likely solution would be some sort of suit aimed at Vacula getting him to fund their little drama.
I'd settle for a peek at some of the papers that would get filed attempting to depict Justin as a cross between OJ Simpson and Osama Bin Laden.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

But I think you have reason to to resort to the ultimate recourse, lawyers and judicial injunctions.
As if, in the bizarre parallel universe they inhabit, this would not, could not, constitute a form of harassment, one in fact far more potent than anything you could ever do with, say, Photoshop. It's like legal harassment is so alien to their life-form, that it isn't even on their radar as a potentially proscribable tactic.

AnonymousCowherd

Michael K Gray wrote:A secret snap of the back-channel all-male misogynist Slymepit World-domination through PATRIARCHY kommittee meeting:
SlymePitPatriarchy.png
Gasp! Surely those aren't...blue stockings? Cover your eyes, Hepzibah!

/franc sock puppet No.9
Number 9.
Number 9.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

ianfc wrote:Fuck, the pit being charitable and I came here for the misogyny and harassment.
Sorry to disappoint. We do try to reach those lofty goals, but apparently we just really suck at the whole misogyny and harassment thing. We will keep trying though. :oops:

AnonymousCowherd

BarnOwl wrote:http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p60 ... 3acef9.png

So Bacopa has backed off on the proposed trespassing and vandalism, and now his advice to Ophelia is "lawyer up." For what, exactly? Pre-emptive legal strike? They all sound like spoiled drama-llama adolescents, flouncing and puling. Do you suppose Ophelia ever stops and thinks "I'm a middle-aged+ woman, and this is the shit I obsess over and whinge about all day, every day. All these dishonest comments on my blog and contributions from people who have less money that I do - that's what I've accomplished ...."?

Honestly, Justin, the best thing you could do (IMHO) is to NOT go to the conference. If the plane tickets are non-refundable, then just go to DC on a fact-finding mission or to meet with allies for your secularism projects and interests. It wouldn't be a "win" for Myers, Benson, et al. - instead it deflates their drama and ruins their usual cocktail of shit-stirring and mendacious crap. It'll be a stretch for them to paint themselves as victims.

Besides, do you really want to sit through several discussion sessions that feature Benson as a panelist?
I think they should lawyer up. I think they should all find the best, most expensive lawyers they can find and then use several hundred hours of their time reading blog posts, including the entire 'pit. Then they can find out they haven't got a leg to stand on and they owe the lawyers a bazillion dollars on top of the huge retainer they had to put up in advance to get them to listne to their whining at all. That would put a ding in the shoe buying excesses for a while.

I think we should run a sweep on how long JV lasts at the conference. My vote is lunch on day 1. As long as the ejection and shunning are all documented - they'll make for a lot more lulz than the ridiculous conference will.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

sacha wrote:
speaking of helping, the slymepit can do a lot better - be like Barn Owl
Sacha, love to help, but spring is negative cash flow season for me - dropping thousands on prep for the upcoming show season. If all goes according to plan, that will reverse starting in June (I hope!). I tend to get much more fiscally conservative when more goes it than in! Maybe come summer...

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

sacha wrote: awww photo of the sweet girl?
She was a 6 month old stray when we got her and the poor girl has always been neurotic and afraid of her own shadow. Alas, our other dogs are gregarious and self-assured, so they tend to soak up all the attention in the room. Consequently, we don't have a lot of good pictures of her. But,despite not getting a lot of attention, she has always been loyal in the extreme. For reasons I cannot comprehend, she worships the ground I walk on; moping whenever I travel on business and refusing to go out back to the barn with my wife if I am not there or I'm staying in the house. Daddy's girl, as my wife is wont to call her. If I am half the man she thinks I am.......

Even though the vet didn't give a good prognosis, I felt I needed to repay that devotion and give her a chance. Luckily, the tumor was limited to one kidney and had enveloped her spleen. All the other organs looked good. 5 days out from surgery, her energy level is finally improving and her appetite returning, although it is still hit or miss whether she'll eat.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... 45269c.jpg

Sorry about the tl;dr.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

franc wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
cunt wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:Just upgraded my Linux Ubuntu from 12.10 to 13.04, with a snazzy Mac OX theme (including the bottom dock)

[/img]
Just get a mac. The amount of time you'll spend trying to make it look and behave like a mac is probably worth the price difference.
I can't afford a mac, and besides, Linux is Unix based and behaves pretty damned well. :D
It's always satisfying watching people make the leap of faith beyond the grasp of the Cupertino feudal overlords only to express surprise when they discover that there is absolutely nothing that can't be done with free, legal software just as well, if not better.
Which is why I run FreeBSD here at home (except on laptop which is OSX). I turned off my last Linux machine years ago.

Mac is FreeBSD based - BSD is not Linux, but they share the same ancestor. What is interesting is that 10 years ago,
BSD is the rewritten code of the original Unix, and in fact many pieces of BSD were brought back into Unix which means the distinction is not clear cut. It still would be very true to say BSD is Unix but not legally Unix. Technically, OSX is a highly modified version of the light weight message passing kernel from CMU, Mach, with a BSD top end. There is a lot of exchange of code between Apple and BSD.
Microsoft was committed to scorched earth destruction of Linux - but have since come to realise there is value in the GreatEvil that was going to destroy the entire software industry and have now cracked the top twenty kernel contributor list.

Apple OTOH, while quite happy to exploit the "free" part of the FreeBSD license, have not returned a single cent to the BSD community.
Actually, they do. Quite a bit of support actually. What you are trotting out in FUD that the BSD community finds highly amusing since it is not true.
Yes, franc ♥ Apple.
I am so busted.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

welch wrote:
franc wrote:
Al Stefanelli wrote:
cunt wrote:

[/img]

Mac is FreeBSD based - BSD is not Linux, but they share the same ancestor. What is interesting is that 10 years ago, Microsoft was committed to scorched earth destruction of Linux - but have since come to realise there is value in the GreatEvil that was going to destroy the entire software industry and have now cracked the top twenty kernel contributor list.

Yes, franc ♥ Apple.

BSD or open source. In either case, you're actually factually wrong. The most recent examples would be their replacement for the GCC toolchain, LLVM/Clang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clang. Includes a debugger with some notable improvements on GDB as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLDB_(debugger)

What you don't know about Apple other than what you choose to rant about would fill volumes. Maybe you should stop cherry picking your data on Apple so much, or only reading what already agrees with you.
Welch, drop me a PM. (FSM I hate the smilies on here)

And it's not just the toolchain BTW.

In any case, if you really have a hate on for Apple, give http://pcbsd.org a try. I like the stability of BSD, I love the community support, I love the thinking that goes on.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

I am not backing down and/or staying home. I refuse to let bullies dictate my actions and modify my behavior. I also have an obligation to my donors - to attend the conference and report.

Dilurk

Post by Dilurk »

If Ophelia Benson really did compare Justin Vacula with the Boston bombers is that not libel? Seriously if she really said that she'd be insane.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Check out Sara Mayhew's recent tweets!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I think I know just the lawyer that Ophelia requires.

http://i.imgur.com/1UaYRiv.jpg

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Well done, good xir.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

From Aunt Ophelia's Harassment Blog post
(199) Maureen Brian wrote:On a broader point, we have trolls in England too. We prosecute them – not often enough but we do it!

On what basis? On the basis that a death threat is an act of violence which puts someone in fear. As does a campaign of harassment, whether conducted by one person or several. Our top Prosecutor has recently firmed up the guidelines and urged police investigators to look for patterns of behaviour, rather than concentrate on taking seriously only the rare exceptionally horrible act. Here’s a case going through the courts now – ...internet-troll-kill-tennessee-students
The Commentariat has gathered in Ophelia Bensons Harassment Headquarter to discuss the death threats that arrived in the recent days via twitter or on Nugent's website. Some people have disagreed with her, and asked her to chat. She barely dodged being raped by saying "no" just in time. Meanwhile, PZ Myers has replaced his knives with rocket launchers and Armanda Marcotte now decoded the cryptic misogyny case...
(217) Amanda Marcotte wrote:I fully accept not everyone who disagrees with me is a misogynist. For instance, I disagree with many friends on the merits of Bruce Springsteen, but none of us are misoynists. However, considering that the disagreement at hand is over whether women are full human beings, then yes, those who disagree are accurately labeled misogynists.
Who knew! And now switch off the irony meter. A <named person> named Jack is now recorded on Ophelia's Harassment Monitor for "endless repetitive smearing". And PZ Myer exposes his cunning plan!
(221) PZ Myers wrote: Jesus. They keep inflating the threat level: we’re up to Code Red already! Vacula enters a room occupied by Myers, he responds by firing an RPG at him! Nope. It is in my interest to avoid giving Vacula any excuse to claim martyrdom. I have announced my intent to avoid him and not engage him in any way — the only way he’d get evicted is if he is persistent, making an obnoxious ass of himself trying to start a conflict. My plan is to shrug and walk away from him

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

I'm sure I remember some previous case where a person stated that they were planning to pointedly ignore another person at a conference...

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

We need a "Great Rape 'n' (Gender) Role Swindle" cover to go with this :D

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Feminist Leader wrote:You know, if someone announced that they were going to be at a conference I was at, and that they did not want to talk to me at all, I’d just say “OK.” (Well, I wouldn’t say it, I’d just not say anything to them, as requested.) I wouldn’t get all huffy and announce that I was being intimidated and threatened. I wouldn’t write a long blog post saying, “How dare they not want to engage in conversation with me…I’m a PUBLIC FIGURE! I’m a LEADER! I’m IMPORTANT!”

And I think PZ Myers’s pissiness about it all is very revealing. He has an inflated opinion of himself and his role, and deeply resents it when someone doesn’t share his esteem.

So no, I certainly do not hope that he gets kicked out of the conference…and the only way he would is if he attempts something outrageous. My hope is that he sits quietly, listens to the talks, gets no opportunity to pretend he is a Feminist, and goes home disappointed that we didn’t pay any attention to him
Only made 3 replacements... Vacula → PZ Myers; BraveHero → Feminist and the text is originally from PZ Myers....

Slither

Post by Slither »

I'm looking at the Women in Secularism website, and am simply astonished at how badly organized it is. It's amazingly poorly-run!

Okay, first, the website: right on the front page they have four photos, apparently from the previous year's event. These should be the best photos they have, advertising why one should come, pay a $249 registration fee, stay at a $200/night hotel and pay an extra $85 if you want dinner as well. So, what photos did they pick?
  • A photo of someone with Melody Hensley. Yes, come to WiS and get a photo opp with the conference organizer! What fun!
  • A audience photo, with the woman in the foreground playing on her phone, looking bored. The woman next to her is looking at her watch, also bored. As for the others in the audience, they all look half-asleep and a bunch are looking in random directions.
  • A photo of four people on a panel, two of which are looking at a third, while the fourth person is looking in the opposite direction. Hmmm.
  • And, best of all, a picture of some people looking at Amy Roth's jewelry table, while Roth herself is playing with her phone behind the table, looking bored.
What great photos! What fun! As for the rest of the website, does nobody on staff have a spell-checker? Unless Greta Christina really did write a book called "Why Are You Atheists Ao Angry (sic)" And according to her bio, Amy Roth "She the creator of Surly-Ramics. (sic)" Sheesh!

Now on to the program itself. It so happens that WiS is in DC, which is simply surrounded by universities: U. of Virginia, U. of Maryland, George Washington, George Mason, Johns Hopkins, Gaullaudet, American, and more. It should be really easy to get local speakers! In thirty seconds I did a web search and found a local professor who does bioethics, health care ethics, and feminist ethical and political theory. Other groups manage to do it: The point is that Hensley should have been able to find plenty of good, interesting speakers in close proximity. But, instead, what does she do? She flies Amy Roth from one side of the continent to the other and pays her $200/night hotel bill, all so Roth can appear on one panel on the first night. I'm serious -- that's all that Roth is signed up to do. And Roth's wonderful credentials are that she makes craft necklaces which say things like "I doubt it" on them, and blogs infrequently. Seriously? Wasn't the aforementioned Amy Marquardt available? Or how about Bathsheba Grossman, who actually uses science and math in her art? (See http://www.bathsheba.com/)

And Rebecca Watson is also being flown in and lodged, just for one panel the first night. Seriously, it looks like Hensley packed the guest list with her friends! What the heck!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Southern

Post by Southern »

didymos wrote: Wait, who threatens to rape people? I remember one dude doing that and it didn't exactly win him any friends. In fact, that dude is gone. Now cunt punt threats on the other hand... :twisted:
That would be Justin Vacula, according to Ellen-Beth Wachs. Because Justin Vacula may rape your daughters or something.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Slither wrote:I'm looking at the Women in Secularism website, and am simply astonished at how badly organized it is. It's amazingly poorly-run!
If you look at the photographs of the speakers it's clear that there has been a LOT of airbrushing done - look at Stephalump "Warthog" Zwank, for example. Even so, I doubt most of theme are in danger of being molested.

Bunch of frickin' bushpigs!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Oh dear.
Another shocking insult to Rebecca Watson and Surly Amy!

http://i.imgur.com/ReaUBEd.jpg

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Slither wrote:I'm looking at the Women in Secularism website, and am simply astonished at how badly organized it is. It's amazingly poorly-run!

Okay, first, the website: right on the front page they have four photos, apparently from the previous year's event. These should be the best photos they have, advertising why one should come, pay a $249 registration fee, stay at a $200/night hotel and pay an extra $85 if you want dinner as well. So, what photos did they pick?
  • A photo of someone with Melody Hensley. Yes, come to WiS and get a photo opp with the conference organizer! What fun!
  • A audience photo, with the woman in the foreground playing on her phone, looking bored. The woman next to her is looking at her watch, also bored. As for the others in the audience, they all look half-asleep and a bunch are looking in random directions.
  • A photo of four people on a panel, two of which are looking at a third, while the fourth person is looking in the opposite direction. Hmmm.
  • And, best of all, a picture of some people looking at Amy Roth's jewelry table, while Roth herself is playing with her phone behind the table, looking bored.
What great photos! What fun! As for the rest of the website, does nobody on staff have a spell-checker? Unless Greta Christina really did write a book called "Why Are You Atheists Ao Angry (sic)" And according to her bio, Amy Roth "She the creator of Surly-Ramics. (sic)" Sheesh!
lol. Thats why Nanny Benson and Myers are so upset about Vacula. Hes going to be the only person there.
Now on to the program itself. It so happens that WiS is in DC, which is simply surrounded by universities: U. of Virginia, U. of Maryland, George Washington, George Mason, Johns Hopkins, Gaullaudet, American, and more. It should be really easy to get local speakers! In thirty seconds I did a web search and found a local professor who does bioethics, health care ethics, and feminist ethical and political theory. Other groups manage to do it:
FreeOK is shipping in many speakers, and only charging $20. Its weird how much work a few volunteers can do for fundraising (in their free time), while Melody Hensley cant be arsed to do anything and its her job. What else does she do as 'executive director of CFI DC' besides WiSC, and dick around on Twitter/Facebook?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Lsuoma wrote:
If you look at the photographs of the speakers it's clear that there has been a LOT of airbrushing done - look at Stephalump "Warthog" Zwank, for example. Even so, I doubt most of theme are in danger of being molested.

Bunch of frickin' bushpigs!
I don't think Svan's picture is airbrushed.
Her husband is a portrait photographer and I guess he did that one for her.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Oh dear.
Another shocking insult to Rebecca Watson and Surly Amy!

http://i.imgur.com/ReaUBEd.jpg
AND she probably feels safe and welcome at Hahvahd.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Melody can't be arsed to do her day job because she's too busy working as the editor of her new blog.

http://paper.li/MelodyHensley/1343594558

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Darth Cynic wrote:You know all this talk of who should and should not be allowed to attend, shunning and promises of sicing the securitah on the unclean who dare to speak unto their sanctified persons - because obviously speaking = harassement coz OMG bullies 'n' vapors or somesuch histrionics. You'd think this guy had a history of perpetrating grievous bodily harm or at the least towering over the mark, face contorted in a rictus of pure rage whilst screaming spittle flecked fulminations mere millimetres from the marks startled visage. Actual high "crimes," disagreement and an ill-thought but retracted posting of already publicly available information, yep, forget about would be bombers, get the Feds on this guy pronto..., but I digress.

Seems to me that I recall his Holiness some ways back giving out about something somewhat relevant.

Oh yes, back in 2009 at the Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago convention when they removed Sunsara Taylor from the speakers list a couple 'o' weeks prior, but then she turned up anyway to harangue the con. What did the reprehensible blaggards of the Humanist Society do? Set the police on her uninvited self and her cameraman who apparently refused to cease his activity possibly prompting his restraint by said police. Apparently you can access a convention where you are not wanted, and not be removed; well, at least you could but it's all different now.

His Holiness offered some sage observations that many can see so well employed by him in later years:
If the Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago is going to start throwing people out and arresting them for their ideological affiliation, [...] But I’d rather see free discussion of ideas by all of those people, and think that a humanist organization ought to be particularly sensitive to the virtues of free speech.
[Emphasis mine]

Now what is it? Should the unclean speak to me I'll wail for security to remove the offender; their ideological affiliation, free discussion and virtue of free speech be damned, for I who will be obeyed will not suffer their kind to be in my presence or challenge my decree.
I remember that. Good find. One more example of hypocrisy and special pleading.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Slither wrote: Now on to the program itself. It so happens that WiS is in DC, which is simply surrounded by universities: U. of Virginia, U. of Maryland, George Washington, George Mason, Johns Hopkins, Gaullaudet, American, and more. It should be really easy to get local speakers! In thirty seconds I did a web search and found a local professor who does bioethics, health care ethics, and feminist ethical and political theory. Other groups manage to do it: The point is that Hensley should have been able to find plenty of good, interesting speakers in close proximity. But, instead, what does she do? She flies Amy Roth from one side of the continent to the other and pays her $200/night hotel bill, all so Roth can appear on one panel on the first night. I'm serious -- that's all that Roth is signed up to do. And Roth's wonderful credentials are that she makes craft necklaces which say things like "I doubt it" on them, and blogs infrequently. Seriously? Wasn't the aforementioned Amy Marquardt available? Or how about Bathsheba Grossman, who actually uses science and math in her art? (See http://www.bathsheba.com/)

And Rebecca Watson is also being flown in and lodged, just for one panel the first night. Seriously, it looks like Hensley packed the guest list with her friends! What the heck!
Melody & Friends look exactly like the congress-turds here in the South. They organize hangouts with friends, get well paid to do shit, and try to pass up the bill to the regular suckers - the fucking World Cup is exactly this, only in a much larger scale.

Fuck them all.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

justinvacula wrote:I am not backing down and/or staying home. I refuse to let bullies dictate my actions and modify my behavior. I also have an obligation to my donors - to attend the conference and report.
Is Karla going with you? Will there be other people with you who can be potential witnesses? Will you have a voice recorder on your person? Sounds dramatic, but you need to be prepared.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

justinvacula wrote:I am not backing down and/or staying home. I refuse to let bullies dictate my actions and modify my behavior. I also have an obligation to my donors - to attend the conference and report.
Is Karla going with you? Will there be other people with you who can be potential witnesses? Will you have a voice recorder on your person? Sounds dramatic, but you need to be prepared.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Justin - keep a recorder on you at all times. Make a note of any hostility, bullying and harrasment from the Baboons.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

BTW, anyone else think Ophelia is playing the "professional victim" because some of her posters keep sending her dollops of money?

Is there an issue of paying tax on this money she is recieving?

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

CommanderTuvok wrote:BTW, anyone else think Ophelia is playing the "professional victim" because some of her posters keep sending her dollops of money?

Is there an issue of paying tax on this money she is recieving?
Probably not. As long as each payment is less than $10,000 and the givers have no expectation on how the money should be used she can just claim these as gifts and not have to declare them.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

I'm sure it's a nice, little earner, though.

cunt

Post by cunt »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I'm sure it's a nice, little earner, though.
In terms of its effort to $ ratio anyway.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I don't think that's why she adds things to her page of harrassment though.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Aneris wrote:From Aunt Ophelia's Harassment Blog post
(221) PZ Myers wrote: Jesus. They keep inflating the threat level: we’re up to Code Red already! Vacula enters a room occupied by Myers, he responds by firing an RPG at him!... Nope.
[youtube]fjsDPfAt3JU[/youtube]

If Myers is the one firing the RPG I vote for Nanny as the genius who decided it would be a great idea to stand to stand behind him.

cunt

Post by cunt »

The one thing it doesn't actually explicitly say in your blog is whether or not you plan to abide by their requests. So, are you still planning on going up to those two or not?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I don't think Svan's picture is airbrushed.
Her husband is a portrait photographer and I guess he did that one for her.
Sorry, but I reckon Steffy looks pretty damn fine in that pic. Course, her husband could just be an exceptionally skilled photographer. Still, that look in her eyes there - if nothing else, I can almost admire Greg's taste in women.

sacha

Post by sacha »

lonesagi wrote:*up with*. I'm an idiot sockpuppet apparently. DAMN YOU FRANC, MAKE ME WRITE BETTER!
hahaha

Chilly P.

Re: Hunt?

Post by Chilly P. »

Michael K Gray wrote:The poster called "Hunt" may be interested in this recent post by a bible scholar:
Building a Hedge around the Historical Jesus
Dickson’s post is the usual litany of supposedly solid evidence that we’ve all seen before. Most of it is of the “throw-it-on-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks” variety.
This is one of the best examples of the dishonest trade of Bible Scholars there is.

It's too bad mainstream historians and archeologists won't get involved, like they did with the OT, and put Jesus next to Moses and Abraham where he belongs.

It's too much of a coincidence that Paul never mentions the beatitude, the overturning of tables, the details of Jesus' birth, etc. even though his epistles predate the Gospels, and by his own assertion met people who knew Jesus in their lifetime. These are core Christian items that one would think the first and possibly greatest evangelist of the religion would be referencing constantly.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Mykeru wrote:
cunt wrote:People paid money to send Vacula to a women in secularism conference but i've never heard a convincing answer as to why.

I agree, it's silly. I've told Justin any number of times that he should know his place, not get uppity and eating a sandwich on the curb is just as tasty as eating it at the lunch counter.
So, yeah, Justin is just like blacks in the pre civil-rights american south because he couldn't afford to attend an extremely expensive secularist conference in DC and had to solicit donations to fund his trip. Or something? Fuck knows.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

cunt wrote:
The one thing it doesn't actually explicitly say in your blog is whether or not you plan to abide by their requests. So, are you still planning on going up to those two or not?
From what I've read from them, it wouldn't even matter as far as I'm concerned. I find refusing someone's friendly, or at least neutral handshake, or a simple "hello" to be a very despicable attitude not worthy of anyone willing to represent any part of the A/S community.

/accomodationist?

cunt

Post by cunt »

I think they actually have the right to have that shitty attitude and be cowards, hypocrites and whatever else.

Submariner

Post by Submariner »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: From what I've read from them, it wouldn't even matter as far as I'm concerned. I find refusing someone's friendly, or at least neutral handshake, or a simple "hello" to be a very despicable attitude not worthy of anyone willing to represent any part of the A/S community.

/accomodationist?

This is something most adults are quite capable of and in fact, are expected to do when necessary. I know I have had to shake hands and make polite conversation with people I can't stand in certain situations.

So much childishness...

sacha

Post by sacha »

Zenspace wrote:
sacha wrote:
speaking of helping, the slymepit can do a lot better - be like Barn Owl
Sacha, love to help, but spring is negative cash flow season for me - dropping thousands on prep for the upcoming show season. If all goes according to plan, that will reverse starting in June (I hope!). I tend to get much more fiscally conservative when more goes it than in! Maybe come summer...

unfortunately there will be plenty of homeless elder dogs, no matter the season. When you are able to help, the dogs will greatly appreciate it. thank you in advance

Post by Guest »

I think you've put the baboons between a rock and a hard place, Justin. If you ask intelligent questions that they can't answer in the Q&A, they'll look like fools. If they boot you out and you've recorded everything to disprove any accusations of harassment, again it won't reflect well on them!

sacha

Post by sacha »

mikelf wrote:
sacha wrote: awww photo of the sweet girl?
She was a 6 month old stray when we got her and the poor girl has always been neurotic and afraid of her own shadow. Alas, our other dogs are gregarious and self-assured, so they tend to soak up all the attention in the room. Consequently, we don't have a lot of good pictures of her. But,despite not getting a lot of attention, she has always been loyal in the extreme. For reasons I cannot comprehend, she worships the ground I walk on; moping whenever I travel on business and refusing to go out back to the barn with my wife if I am not there or I'm staying in the house. Daddy's girl, as my wife is wont to call her. If I am half the man she thinks I am.......

Even though the vet didn't give a good prognosis, I felt I needed to repay that devotion and give her a chance. Luckily, the tumor was limited to one kidney and had enveloped her spleen. All the other organs looked good. 5 days out from surgery, her energy level is finally improving and her appetite returning, although it is still hit or miss whether she'll eat.

http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o74 ... 45269c.jpg

Sorry about the tl;dr.
she's gorgeous! not at all too long of a post. I bolded those lovely words, and I wish everyone felt that way about their dogs.

he is your friend, your partner, your defender.

you are his leader, his love, his life.

he will be yours til the last beat of his heart.

you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

-anonymous

please give her extra love from sacha. I hope she feels better soon.

I'll pm you with a few ways to try and interest her in food.