Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Dick Strawkins

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/Gk49sKA.jpg

Ashley, for fuck sake! :o

Don't negotiate with (stochastic) terrorists!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Thought I'd best screencap this, just in case it gets disappearded...

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
cunt wrote:Surly Amy on stage now, debunking homeopathy for the 1,000,000th time.
I've had to explain homeopathy to clinicians. When I ask graduate students if they know what it means, very few do. Until it means the same thing as "snake oil" to most anyone who walks into the corner druggist, this talk needs to happen.
I agree, but this is standard movement skepticism - or as the newly divorced ex-skeptics like to claim, 'boooooooooooring and not at all important compared to fighting the patriarchy'.
I'm all for standard movement skepticism, and (no sarcasm at all) I'm perfectly happy to see Amy doing it. Good for her! There is a chance that hers turns out to be the best talk of the day.

cunt

Post by cunt »

d4m10n wrote:Looks like the NHS needs to sit in on Amy's talk, too: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/homeopathy ... #available

:mrgreen:
It's even on that page that they know homeopathy doesn't work. Prince fucking big-ears likes the sound of it though.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
cunt wrote:Surly Amy on stage now, debunking homeopathy for the 1,000,000th time.
I've had to explain homeopathy to clinicians. When I ask graduate students if they know what it means, very few do. Until it means the same thing as "snake oil" to most anyone who walks into the corner druggist, this talk needs to happen.
I agree, but this is standard movement skepticism - or as the newly divorced ex-skeptics like to claim, 'boooooooooooring and not at all important compared to fighting the patriarchy'.
Are you guys joking, or did they really fly an 'artist' across the US to talk about homeopathy instead of asking one of the literally thousands of scientists (some of the top scientists in the nation) in the DC area?

Please tell me you all are joking.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Well come on Abbie, you don't need to be top-flight science-woman to see that shaking up water over and over doesn't make it into a magical healing potion. :)

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

At this rate this silly conference is bound to erupt into a full-on Jets vs. Sharks dance brawl. I, for one, can't wait.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

But yeah I suppose it does look like a boondoggle on the CFI dime. Hey, those were my dimes!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Shit just got real - Lindsay has the temerity to throw a retort at Queen Bee: https://twitter.com/RALindsay/status/335462982622511104

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
People like to be told what they already know, to an extent. It can be a good way to ease into a talk.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

AbsurdWalls wrote:This doesn't hurt my head now that I know how keen to misrepresent people Marcotte is:
Amanda Marcotte ‏@AmandaMarcotte 4m
In my experience, a lot of creationist fundies somehow still embrace evo psych. Always entertaining! #WISCFI
Hold on to your hat then.

I reared up on my hind legs here:
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/2 ... n-god.html

Razib opines:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... -all-time/

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

ERV wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
d4m10n wrote:
Are you guys joking, or did they really fly an 'artist' across the US to talk about homeopathy instead of asking one of the literally thousands of scientists (some of the top scientists in the nation) in the DC area?

It does make it appear as if, rather than try to promote women into mainstream freethought, they are instead making an alternative "freethought conference for (a particular set of) women".

See my above comment though.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ERV wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
d4m10n wrote:

Welcome to the Thirld World's Way Of Doing Things (always use the most expensive and embarassing way to do something half-assed).

Or, maybe it's a case of Third World's Way Of Helping Friends (stuffing their pockets with money from the public to do a work that should be done by people that would charge much less for).

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

jmpea81 wrote:
Next up: A talk on Big Foot skepticism, followed by a panel of people who are skeptical of Bigfoot skepticism from a feminist perspective.
"Is it sexist to expect Bigfoot to shave?"

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

d4m10n wrote:But yeah I suppose it does look like a boondoggle on the CFI dime. Hey, those were my dimes!
Its a $250 conference. They cant find real professionals?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

ERV wrote:
d4m10n wrote:But yeah I suppose it does look like a boondoggle on the CFI dime. Hey, those were my dimes!
As a goer-to of technical conferences, if I dropped 250 quid for the low-rent, amateur hour bullshit that the "skeptic/atheist" movement seems to think is worthy of a speaking fee, I'd punch the organizers straight in the mother-fucking junk.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

AndrewV69 wrote:
AbsurdWalls wrote:This doesn't hurt my head now that I know how keen to misrepresent people Marcotte is:
Amanda Marcotte ‏@AmandaMarcotte 4m
In my experience, a lot of creationist fundies somehow still embrace evo psych. Always entertaining! #WISCFI
Hold on to your hat then.

I reared up on my hind legs here:
http://noseenohearnospeak.blogspot.ca/2 ... n-god.html

Razib opines:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... -all-time/
From the first link:
"When they learned that the relevant survey items had been drawn from evolutionary theory, opponents of the theory were much less likely to endorse them".
I need to check the methods of that study to see whether the difference in the graphs in your second link is down to a resistance to change their mind on the part of the evolution-deniers.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Tigzy wrote:Shit just got real - Lindsay has the temerity to throw a retort at Queen Bee: https://twitter.com/RALindsay/status/335462982622511104
This is priceless, Watson falling out the President and CEO of CFI within the first 30 mins :)

Scunner

Post by Scunner »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Shit just got real - Lindsay has the temerity to throw a retort at Queen Bee: https://twitter.com/RALindsay/status/335462982622511104
This is priceless, Watson falling out the President and CEO of CFI within the first 30 mins :)
Also worth noting she's criticised what he said on Twitter rather than to his face, which is undoubtedly no more than a few metres away from her. This is what happens when a keyboard warrior foolishly wanders out of their habitat.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Woooow... this convention may be more interesting that it was supposed to be.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Scunner wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
Also worth noting she's criticised what he said on Twitter rather than to his face, which is undoubtedly no more than a few metres away from her. This is what happens when a keyboard warrior foolishly wanders out of their habitat.
If you're going to criticise her for not going after him from the podium then she just can't win!

welch

Post by welch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:BTW, these should not be called rimshots, but snareshots. And as far as I have performed them, they are snare/ snare/ tom (of your choice) /cymbal plus kick/.

Rimshots are an entirely different technique alright. Hold your drumstick with its butt in the middle of the snare, and hit its body on the rim of the snare.

Alternatively, don't play drums (saves time).
I thought it involved a very flexible waitress, a specially designed shotglass and some patience.

Scunner

Post by Scunner »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
Scunner wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
If you're going to criticise her for not going after him from the podium then she just can't win!
Fair point. Should have thought that through. :doh:

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

LOL @ the 'diversity' of these speakers:
https://twitter.com/PaulFidalgo/status/ ... 18/photo/1
BWAHAHAHA!

welch

Post by welch »

sacha wrote:
Tigzy wrote:@Sacha
I like chest hair
What about back, ballbag and arsecrack hair?
awww, Tigz
I'm sure I'd like yours.
I figured it depending on what parts of you were touching them all at the same time?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Scunner wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
Hang on, I've never actually used this before, but if there's ever a time for it:

:popcorn:

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

ERV wrote:LOL @ the 'diversity' of these speakers:
BWAHAHAHA!
GAGH! What the hell is this, Hipsterfest 2013?

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:At this rate this silly conference is bound to erupt into a full-on Jets vs. Sharks dance brawl. I, for one, can't wait.
I WANT TO BE IN FEMINISTA OKAY BY ME IN FEMINISTA NO FUCKING MEN IN FEMINSTA EVERYTHING FREE IN FEMINISTAAAAAAAAA

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
ERV wrote:
As a goer-to of technical conferences, if I dropped 250 quid for the low-rent, amateur hour bullshit that the "skeptic/atheist" movement seems to think is worthy of a speaking fee, I'd punch the organizers straight in the mother-fucking junk.

$250 for that thing? Really? Fuck me, skeptics are suckers.

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:LOL @ the 'diversity' of these speakers:
BWAHAHAHA!

They should change it to HISC for next year: Honkies in Skepticism Conference.

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Re: the Bodhran, it, or something very similar is the background music for one of my favorite songs. The Chemical Worker's Song by Great Big Sea.

[youtube]edAxujKev1I[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

Also, seriously, this is a "real" conference, and they're using that shitty a screen and projector? It's a good thing it is small, you'd not be able to hear shit. WTF, they get this shit at wal-mart?

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
ERV wrote:

$250 for that thing? Really? Fuck me, skeptics are suckers.
Plus an $80 dinner at the end. Also, they wanted an outside grant so they could provide childcare. Doesn't sound like they got it.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/pRlKKER.jpg

Yes, but why wait till he's spoken before you complain about it...
Specifically when he's just pointed out that your standard operating procedures are dishonest.

I think the wind has turned on the FTB mob. TAM is FTB free and Peezus' tantrum and divorce from skepticism has left them bereft of any real clout in the movement ouside their own private fiefdoms of skepticon and skepchickcon.
Eh, it's too soon to tell. I'd agree that PZ is not as prominent as he was three years ago, and I definitely think that Watson rubs people the wrong way sometimes (that Tweet is a perfect example.) Still though, they're on the nominally "politically correct" side, which gives them a lot of leeway that we don't have. Myers is still a respected-if-diminished figure, and the FtB network does have many good writers, even if might disagree with them on a lot of points. So we'll see.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/AHbF5iX.jpg

What's Marcotte on about here?

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

I'm interested in what exactly Lindsay said. Something about privilege that didn't directly adhere to SJW dogma? Anyone have inside info?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

dippitydo.png
(68.95 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
"White knight's intuition" Whoever you are Professor Tweetington, I doff my cap to you.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I wonder if anyone has suggested that they talk to each other in person. Given that they are at the same place. I have an image of them glaring at each other from opposite sides of the room, tweeting furiously.

windy

Post by windy »

d4m10n wrote: I'm all for standard movement skepticism, and (no sarcasm at all) I'm perfectly happy to see Amy doing it. Good for her! There is a chance that hers turns out to be the best talk of the day.
Thumbs up from Slymepitters for Surly Amy's talk!!!

welch

Post by welch »

windy wrote:
d4m10n wrote: I'm all for standard movement skepticism, and (no sarcasm at all) I'm perfectly happy to see Amy doing it. Good for her! There is a chance that hers turns out to be the best talk of the day.

Cue Sobbing.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Percentage wrote:I'm interested in what exactly Lindsay said. Something about privilege that didn't directly adhere to SJW dogma? Anyone have inside info?
Apparently Rebecca found one of the images used for his talk somewhat provocative.

http://i.imgur.com/dM67I4t.jpg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/dxcPrfA.jpg

An invasion of oompa-loompas?

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Looks like Peezus wasn't happy with Lindsay's speech either.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Percentage wrote:Looks like Peezus wasn't happy with Lindsay's speech either.
He has a point. How dare Lindsay claim that accusations of privilege are used to silence critics? He's an old white male, he reeks of privilege. He should shut up.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Ok, from Hazel Wassername's feed:

Yeah, this would certainy be the kind of uncomfortable truth that would have the SJWs up in arms. The number one most consistent idea I've seen out of them is they want to demand reflection and empathy and thoughtfulness on the part of others, but don't want to engage in it themselves.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Jonathan wrote:
He has a point. How dare Lindsay claim that accusations of privilege are used to silence critics? He's an old white male, he reeks of privilege. He should shut up.
Why is PZ there? Hes not a speaker, right? Did he seriously pay for his own plane/hotel/registration/etc?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Stephanie Zvan ‏@szvan 1m

Overpopulation becomes a self-solving problem when women are allowed to control how many children they have. --@AmandaMarcotte #wiscfi
Is that really the case?

I would have thought that you need the addition of factors like education and opportunities to access decent jobs.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

ERV wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Why is PZ there? Hes not a speaker, right? Did he seriously pay for his own plane/hotel/registration/etc?

I mean... yeah. The dude has gone all in with this crowd. He's not missing the big party.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Marcotte says paranoia about fake geek girls something feminists can fight #wiscfi

-- @justinvacula
Absolutely! Why waste one iota of effort fighting the oppression of women around the world when there are girls not getting proper credit for their love of Dr. Who here at home?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
dippitydo.png
"White knight's intuition" Whoever you are Professor Tweetington, I doff my cap to you.
Hopefully Watson will complain about the privileged, old, white, cis-gendered male with a history of tasteless sexist behavior at cons that is booked to speak there.
It seems appropriate that Lindsay being the CEO of the org that's holding the con should speak, but what the hell is that dingbat PZ Myers doing there?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ERV wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
He must have, mustn't he?
Otherwise I guess the bosses of FTB (meaning him) might have some secret party fund that can be raided in these circumstances.

Mind you, he is going to another Women in Secularism conference in a couple of weeks in Dublin, where his flight and accomodation ARE being paid by his friend Michael Nugent (as are the expenses of Ophelia Benson and Rebecca Watson.)

Southern

Post by Southern »

windy wrote:
But I still think that she's the Goth chick from NCIS. Are you sure she's not Pauley Perrette?

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

ERV wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Because he's the right kind of old, white, privileged male, I assume.

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/AHbF5iX.jpg

What's Marcotte on about here?
Adria Richards did everything exactly right!

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Southern wrote:
windy wrote:
But I still think that she's the Goth chick from NCIS. Are you sure she's not Pauley Perrette?
Not unless she's really let herself go.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Mind you, he is going to another Women in Secularism conference in a couple of weeks in Dublin, where his flight and accomodation ARE being paid by his friend Michael Nugent (as are the expenses of Ophelia Benson and Rebecca Watson.)
There's definitely some shit going to go down there, what with Nuge giving the pit a voice. Ophelia Benson, I'm sure, won't be ready to forgive and forget.

welch

Post by welch »

Southern wrote:
windy wrote:

I dunno. Can she stop a hacker attack against her primary database while sharing a keyboard with someone else typing at the same time as her?

Nim_Chimpsky

Post by Nim_Chimpsky »

Percentage wrote:Ok, from Hazel Wassername's feed:

Yeah, this would certainy be the kind of uncomfortable truth that would have the SJWs up in arms. The number one most consistent idea I've seen out of them is they want to demand reflection and empathy and thoughtfulness on the part of others, but don't want to engage in it themselves.
Is Miri's tweet in agreement with Lindsay's remarks or merely a report? Cause to me that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to say, I don't quite understand how everyone can get so up in arms about such a position.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Nim_Chimpsky wrote:

Is Miri's tweet in agreement with Lindsay's remarks or merely a report? Cause to me that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to say, I don't quite understand how everyone can get so up in arms about such a position.
See, "privilege" is a magical incantation that SJW's use to gag people who question their silly bullshit.

welch

Post by welch »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Nim_Chimpsky wrote:

See, "privilege" is a magical incantation that SJW's use to gag people who question their silly bullshit.
and it's faster to say than "silencio"