Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Skep tickle

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Skep tickle »

d4m10n wrote:If you want to give in an efficient manner, to a group that knows how to do disaster relief, I'd say that the Red Cross is your best best: http://www.redcross.org/ok/oklahoma-city

Don't let the symbol fool you, they aren't sectarian.
Thank you for that link. Just donated.

Their site also looks useful for people affected by the tornado - info on shelters the Red Cross is setting up; registries of people checking in and those seeking loved ones including an app to be able to follow the lists on a phone; phone # for people to call (though on the one hand phone lines & cell towers are down, and on the other hand if the phones are/were working a phone line could get quickly overloaded).

This is also a kick in the pants* for me to go donate blood again. I know it won't make its way there, but it's a renewable resource that can help someone, or actually several people, who may need it - and maybe there'll be a bit of a trickle-southeast effect.

*I may have to turn in my "Slyme Pit Token Woman" card but, yes, I am wearing knickers

Whig

Post by Whig »

Dan wrote:Kim Rippere (Secular Woman President) has a little dig at Elisabeth Cornwell

http://i.imgur.com/9fY3UOU.png

I sent an email of support for Lindsey to CFI earlier and one of the points I made was how important I think political pluralism is in secularism and how it needs to be defended and here is a case in point.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Skeeve wrote:Who is Bruce McGlory a sock of? He reminds me of Spokesgay.
I take that back. He's a she, pretending.

d4m10n

Post by d4m10n »

Skep tickle wrote:
d4m10n wrote:If you want to give in an efficient manner, to a group that knows how to do disaster relief, I'd say that the Red Cross is your best best: http://www.redcross.org/ok/oklahoma-city

Don't let the symbol fool you, they aren't sectarian.
Thank you for that link. Just donated.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear about the knickers. Also, more donation opportunities will be up on the twitter feed https://twitter.com/AtheistOK or the FB page https://www.facebook.com/OklahomaAtheists

And thanks to everyone else who expressed concern.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

"UPDATE: I’ve not decided on a comments policy. However, for this first post, I’m just going to let all comments in. Thank you so far for the kind wishes and congrats."

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skeeve wrote:
You have proof? A link?

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Percentage wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Why "uh oh"?
Well, not for us. But we can look forward to a few temper tantrums in the morning.
You mean like http://storify.com/ElevatorGATE/convers ... damarcotte

DeepInsideYourMind

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Percentage wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Why "uh oh"?
Well, not for us. But we can look forward to a few temper tantrums in the morning.
You mean like http://storify.com/ElevatorGATE/convers ... damarcotte
Or even http://storify.com/ElevatorGATE/convers ... benson-and

LOL

sacha

Post by sacha »

deLurch wrote:
Their approach is not the one I would take. I understand people making different tactical decisions, but I personally would think that there would be a huge advantage in targeting arguments that your average Joe or Jane would accept.

His shocktop approach is not that different from feminist PR campaigns such as "Kill All Men." Yes, you will get attention. But you have immediately disgusted and turned off 95% of the population even before they get to the point of even considering any of your other positions. I guess if your premise is that any attention is better than none, so be it. But unless you have a good healthy middle ground group not associated with them espousing arguments that are more accessible, the shock approach may be wasted.

This was almost the exact argument for making the Pit a "kinder gentler place" .

perhaps commenters here may want to read the very end of the Slimepit (with an i) and the beginning of the Slymepit (with a y), This one.

One may want to pay close attention to how Franc was perceived by many Pitters (it was not pretty), how many wanted him to "tone it down considerably" and just how many apologised to him once it became clear that his blog posts were not anywhere near the level of hyperbole written specifically for shock value that they had previously thought.

Many from the original Slimepit felt as though no one "on the fence" would ever align themselves, or even have a casual connection to the pit unless it changed dramatically in order to cater to the "average Joe or Jane", and that we would hurt, rather than help the sceptic/atheist communities if the status quo was continued.

I'm quite sure I do not have to articulate what side I have always been on.

What a difference a year makes in the state of affairs here.

The only issue I have with Elam's article is that it was an amateur attempt at shock value in order to make a point. He could have written a very powerful piece, but it fell short. I have absolutely no problem at all with using the subject matter he chose.

When certain feminists groups say "Kill All Men", It is not said for shock value, they mean it. There is nothing linear between that and the AVfM article in question.

As for the analogy between the radfems' stance on the obliteration of the males in our species, and the article from AVfM that caused the most outrage, the post in regards to juries and rape convictions, (While I do not completely agree with the position Elam took in that article, I do understand where he is coming from, I understand quite well, actually) it is nowhere near advocating for an entire gender to be annihilated (perhaps a small percentage kept alive and used as slaves) simply because they have a different set of chromosomes. The radfems actually believe that human males are an inferior gender.

I've never seen anything remotely similar at AVfM (excluding the comments, which do not necessarily represent the site at all)

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Skeeve wrote:
You have proof? A link?
I'm gathering proof. Have it narrowed down to 3 possibles.

sacha

Post by sacha »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Wasn't Mofo in on the skepchick parties, i.e. bordello themed, faux blowjobs to male strippers, etc.?
yep
free thoughtpolice wrote:Would that be a safe space for a 4 year old?
oh, but the Skepchicks have seen the light, and condemn that behaviour now.

Fuck that tornado was huge. I don't think I could live in tornado country. I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes, thank you.

sacha

Post by sacha »

ERV wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:More info on the Oklahoma tornadoes:

http://www.wunderground.com/news/more-g ... s-20130520

The one that went through Moore, OK was unbelievably immense. :(

I know it's wrong to shelter from a tornado under overpasses, but the problem is, you might be sheltering there from a hailstorm, and not know that there are also tornadoes. I've parked under an overpass during hailstorms a couple of times, when driving through west Texas or southern Colorado in late spring/early summer.
Those tweets arent accurate, BarnOwl.

The 'safe' kids are the ones who were moved pre-tornado. We have no word on the kids from two schools that were leveled. Kindergarden-3rd grade. They are sifting through rubble looking for anything. They havent even pulled out bodies. Im going to throw up.
they have rescued some of the children buried under the rubble. Do tornadoes really travel and gain momentum and power so fast that there is no way to evacuate schools in the path?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Wasn't Mofo in on the skepchick parties, i.e. bordello themed, faux blowjobs to male strippers, etc.?
yep
free thoughtpolice wrote:Would that be a safe space for a 4 year old?
oh, but the Skepchicks have seen the light, and condemn that behaviour now.

Fuck that tornado was huge. I don't think I could live in tornado country. I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes, thank you.
Me too (at least until we the big one here in the PNW.

Some pictures from Moore here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22605020

That last one stunned me.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sacha wrote:
ERV wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:More info on the Oklahoma tornadoes:

http://www.wunderground.com/news/more-g ... s-20130520

The one that went through Moore, OK was unbelievably immense. :(

I know it's wrong to shelter from a tornado under overpasses, but the problem is, you might be sheltering there from a hailstorm, and not know that there are also tornadoes. I've parked under an overpass during hailstorms a couple of times, when driving through west Texas or southern Colorado in late spring/early summer.
Those tweets arent accurate, BarnOwl.

The 'safe' kids are the ones who were moved pre-tornado. We have no word on the kids from two schools that were leveled. Kindergarden-3rd grade. They are sifting through rubble looking for anything. They havent even pulled out bodies. Im going to throw up.
they have rescued some of the children buried under the rubble. Do tornadoes really travel and gain momentum and power so fast that there is no way to evacuate schools in the path?
Having grown up in tornado country, and having outrun one in a car once in Kansas...

Part of the problem is that extant tornadoes can meander, don't necessarily travel in a predictable fashion -

Another part of the problem is that a tornado can form anew pretty much anywhere (it seems) during the right weather conditions -

Not to Monday-evening-quarterback, but I am kinda surprised that the schools (& many of the homes) didn't have tornado cellars - we had one in the house I grew up in, in the Midwest (though we mostly used it to store food in).

"Tornado drills" in my elementary school just meant that the kids all knelt with our heads down against the walls/lockers in the hallways in the school, wouldn't have been any help at all in a monster tornado like this...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I'm not a fan of Yemmy's poetry, but she is posting some real human rights stuff relevant to atheism/humanism. Some of the stuff about the is not fresh news but the issues are still ongoing (bad boy prosperity gospel bishop, and legislation against same sex marriage), and now she has some posts up about "International Day against Homophobia" (IDAHO, which made me laugh, from here in Pacific NW) - including footage of herself in protests (probably in UK).

She's out there, & active. Good for her.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Skep tickle wrote: 2nd comment on the pink millipede:
Roger Hyde 20 May 2013 at 8:22 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Lovely, if (IMO) creepy image. Question, though: should the “pink is for girls” idea really be any more acceptable than, say, the “science is for boys” one?
:popcorn:
Are you fucking stupid? "Pink is for girls" is a patriarchal construct designed to...somehow...make girls...do something.

When Meyers repeats this idea, and thus strengthens the association in his readers' minds, he is helping to...something about empowering women? Or reinforcing vaginas? I'm not quite sure, but Meyers definitely knows what he's doing. After all, he's one of the guys )whoops!) in charge of a well-organized and smoothly-running circle jerk blog collective:
MDKitty -- Survivor 20 May 2013 at 8:07 pm
While you’re at it… can someone PLEASE fix the frontpage? Yemmynisting, Ally Fogg, and Tauriq are NOT showing up.

PZ Myers 20 May 2013 at 8:26 pm
The front page is getting a major overhaul, which could be released any day now. It will include more recent articles from each blog, and be organized by category. We’re just waiting for our tech guy to finish it!

Git

Post by Git »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Dan wrote:Kim Rippere (Secular Woman President) has a little dig at Elisabeth Cornwell

Are anti social justice libertarians the new Reds under the Bed?
When all you have is near-Maoism (Prime Exhibit A: Setard), everything looks like a "anti-social justice libertarian".

This is what I've been saying for a long time, this is classic entryism by an ideological group determined to pervert and take over an entire movement to their ends.

DeepInsideYourMind

Skep tickle wrote: Not to Monday-evening-quarterback, but I am kinda surprised that the schools (& many of the homes) didn't have tornado cellars - we had one in the house I grew up in, in the Midwest (though we mostly used it to store food in).
Classic cost vs damage vs perception problem ...

Terrorism, kills very few, financed for billions of dollars

Climate change, denied, kills hundreds repeatedly and will more and more over time, receives little funding and usually only to clear the mess up after

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Are you fucking stupid? "Pink is for girls" is a patriarchal construct designed to...somehow...make girls...do something.

When Meyers repeats this idea, and thus strengthens the association in his readers' minds, he is helping to...something about empowering women? Or reinforcing vaginas? I'm not quite sure, but Meyers definitely knows what he's doing. After all, he's one of the guys )whoops!) in charge of a well-organized and smoothly-running circle jerk blog collective:
MDKitty -- Survivor 20 May 2013 at 8:07 pm
While you’re at it… can someone PLEASE fix the frontpage? Yemmynisting, Ally Fogg, and Tauriq are NOT showing up.

PZ Myers 20 May 2013 at 8:26 pm
The front page is getting a major overhaul, which could be released any day now. It will include more recent articles from each blog, and be organized by category. We’re just waiting for our tech guy to finish it!
Hahahaha. "Tech guy", not "tech gal"? Dongle, dongle, dongle! (Alcohol may be permeating my brain cells.)

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I hope this stuff doesn't build and head to OKC/Moore.

http://www.kswo.com/global/Category.asp?c=182196

Fresh storms moving NE from here.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

sacha wrote:
The Moore tornado was not moving particularly fast, and there was ample warning that it was coming, but it was so powerful that normal safety procedures were inadequate. Evacuation is rarely the option of choice, due to limited time, uncertainty about the tornado's path, and because the least safe place to be is out in the open or in a car - imagine if the tornado had hit while hundreds of parents were simultaneously converging at the school in their automobiles. I am sure that the kids at the elementary schools were sent to the safest portions of the building well in advance of the storm's arrival, but the winds were so strong in this storm that even the interior walls of the buildings were knocked over, leading to the surprisingly large number of fatalities (20 children with another 30 missing, the last I heard).

What surprises me is that the schools in that part of the U.S. are apparently not required to have underground storm shelters, which are the only "safe" place to be when a tornado capable of sweeping clean the foundation of a well-constructed building comes along. I would guess that the expense of an underground shelter large enough to hold several hundred people is the obstacle.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Reap

Post by Reap »

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Baa haa haa. She quit it long ago.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:

This is also a kick in the pants* for me to go donate blood again. I know it won't make its way there, but it's a renewable resource that can help someone, or actually several people, who may need it - and maybe there'll be a bit of a trickle-southeast effect.

*I may have to turn in my "Slyme Pit Token Woman" card but, yes, I am wearing knickers
Would that be a Skep tickle trickle?

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Skep tickle wrote:I'm not a fan of Yemmy's poetry, but she is posting some real human rights stuff relevant to atheism/humanism. Some of the stuff about the is not fresh news but the issues are still ongoing (bad boy prosperity gospel bishop, and legislation against same sex marriage), and now she has some posts up about "International Day against Homophobia" (IDAHO, which made me laugh, from here in Pacific NW) - including footage of herself in protests (probably in UK).

Lo, IDAHO....as in the state, or as in "My Own Private"? Both?

god.....god.........God?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

sacha wrote: ...
When certain feminists groups say "Kill All Men", It is not said for shock value, they mean it. There is nothing linear between that and the AVfM article in question.

As for the analogy between the radfems' stance on the obliteration of the males in our species, and the article from AVfM that caused the most outrage, the post in regards to juries and rape convictions, (While I do not completely agree with the position Elam took in that article, I do understand where he is coming from, I understand quite well, actually) it is nowhere near advocating for an entire gender to be annihilated (perhaps a small percentage kept alive and used as slaves) simply because they have a different set of chromosomes. The radfems actually believe that human males are an inferior gender.

I've never seen anything remotely similar at AVfM (excluding the comments, which do not necessarily represent the site at all)
Reminds me of this:
12 Ways To Use Saul Alinsky's Rules For Radicals Against Liberals
http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawk ... page/full/
Always remember the first rule of power tactics: Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.

The second rule is: Never go outside the experience of your people.

…The third rule is: Wherever possible go outside the experience of the enemy. Here you want to cause confusion, fear, and retreat.

…the fourth rule is: Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules.

…the fourth rule carries within it the fifth rule: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.

…the sixth rule is: A good tactic is one that your people enjoy.

…the seventh rule is: A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.

…the eighth rule: Keep the pressure on.

…the ninth rule: The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.

The tenth rule: The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.

…The eleventh rule is: If you push a negative hard and deep enough it will break through into its counterside.

…The twelfth rule: The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.

…The thirteenth rule: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it. — Rules for Radicals
Last one links to this:
http://www.rightwingnews.com/quotes/the ... -radicals/

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

http://i.imgur.com/0cx6kqh.jpg

"SECULAR INCEST"

What the actual fuck?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/0cx6kqh.jpg

"SECULAR INCEST"

What the actual fuck?
Could there be a better descriptor than that for the hideous speaking circuit carousel that Meyers, Becky Whatnot, Opheliar and their buddies use to leech from gullible atheists their cash and will to live?

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

sacha wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Their approach is not the one I would take. I understand people making different tactical decisions, but I personally would think that there would be a huge advantage in targeting arguments that your average Joe or Jane would accept.

His shocktop approach is not that different from feminist PR campaigns such as "Kill All Men." Yes, you will get attention. But you have immediately disgusted and turned off 95% of the population even before they get to the point of even considering any of your other positions. I guess if your premise is that any attention is better than none, so be it. But unless you have a good healthy middle ground group not associated with them espousing arguments that are more accessible, the shock approach may be wasted.

This was almost the exact argument for making the Pit a "kinder gentler place" .

perhaps commenters here may want to read the very end of the Slimepit (with an i) and the beginning of the Slymepit (with a y), This one.

One may want to pay close attention to how Franc was perceived by many Pitters (it was not pretty), how many wanted him to "tone it down considerably" and just how many apologised to him once it became clear that his blog posts were not anywhere near the level of hyperbole written specifically for shock value that they had previously thought.

Many from the original Slimepit felt as though no one "on the fence" would ever align themselves, or even have a casual connection to the pit unless it changed dramatically in order to cater to the "average Joe or Jane", and that we would hurt, rather than help the sceptic/atheist communities if the status quo was continued.

I'm quite sure I do not have to articulate what side I have always been on.

What a difference a year makes in the state of affairs here.

The only issue I have with Elam's article is that it was an amateur attempt at shock value in order to make a point. He could have written a very powerful piece, but it fell short. I have absolutely no problem at all with using the subject matter he chose.

I have to say....I can't find a single thing I disagree with in Sacha's comment, and I have done the years of required reading(though I was not active on the original slimepit, I was somewhat aware and reading`for comprehension since Pepsigate. I noticed the hatred of all things sugary and corporate before the man-bashing started in full) . Quoted for Truth, as many a pharyngulite has said before they got so full of shit.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Yeah, somebody you didn't know decided you might be a normal human, like with empathy and shit. WTF?!!!?

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

I for one would have been interested in seeing the tumor, those things are a grab bag! Never know what's going to be growing in one!

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
justinvacula wrote:http://i.imgur.com/0cx6kqh.jpg

"SECULAR INCEST"

What the actual fuck?
Could there be a better descriptor than that for the hideous speaking circuit carousel that Meyers, Becky Whatnot, Opheliar and their buddies use to leech from gullible atheists their cash and will to live?
Speaking only from my personal lived experience, it's danced across my mind several times in recent weeks as I've become acquainted with the history of the past few years.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

nippletwister wrote:

Yeah, somebody you didn't know decided you might be a normal human, like with empathy and shit. WTF?!!!?
At least he didn't start masturbating...

The Tim Channel

Post by The Tim Channel »

Zenspace wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:Hi The Tim Channel, great first post.

I don't think I have enough posts here to give you the proper welcome but I will anyway. FUCK OFF! :)
<sniffle>

They grow up so fast...
I just wish I wasn't self employed so the Skepchicks could try and get me fired. Sure they say bad things about me, but since I don't give two tugs on a dead dog's cock about the whole lot of them, that is as effective as Bexky trying to stay sober (and relevant). This forum is reasonably unsafe. I feel righ at home here. We didn't all grow up in first class with the good whine, Enjoy.

Southern

Re: "Welcome, Tauriq Moosa"

Post by Southern »

I'd reather not do that. Let the new guy (or gal) do sumething very stupid and FTB-like first. It seems like cheap provocation.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
nippletwister wrote:

Now, Al. She didn't specifically say he didn't. :naughty:

Southern

Post by Southern »

But was he mascating to it?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh, damn, Al ninja-ed me. Clever old man, I knew that beard was the mark of a Shaolin monk of some sort who also happens to be a ninja.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Southern wrote:
I'd reather not do that. Let the new guy (or gal) do sumething very stupid and FTB-like first. It seems like cheap provocation.
Fuck off, Vacula.

You were cheap entertainment at the conference, but don't go dragging our lovely and healthy Pit community by inviting us to start more shit with new bloggers at FfTB. We should, I think, merely let the rope spool from our hands. Those who deserve it will tie fine nooses with no further help from us. The rest will use our offering to secure their beach huts.

Or something? I think I got a bit lost in the middle of that metaphor. Oh, yeah: fuck off, Vacula.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Southern wrote:
I would like to have someone photoshop a clit in the appropriate place in the gif at Tauriq's first post.

Also, full disclosure, Mr Tequila has had his way with me this evening. Usually it's just Ms. Merlot, & she's more gentle. In the spirit of that ravishment, I would like to confess that I am extremely pissed off at all these drama queens (of all genders) who have tried to coopt the skepticism movement and by extension the atheism movement. I was a contented skeptic and atheist for something like 42 years, since sentience, "only" having to deal with the stupid theocentric views and judgmentalness (if that's a word?) of the US public & electorate, and then THEY came along and started pooping *dogma* and *litmus tests* right in the middle of the whole A/S arena, which had been a "safe space" for skeptics like me.

I hereby say: fuck off to all the faux skeptical ideologues infesting the movement. So there.

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
nippletwister wrote:

I have to share:

Not two weeks after Jen's public masturbation tweet, my 23 year old nephew and his female SO (oh, fuck it, girlfriend) were in San Francisco for a metal show, and made a facebook post when they happened upon a homeless black man masturbating in a vacant lot next to the sidewalk. While they were freaked out enough to make a somewhat humorous/slightly disgusted facebook post, there was no real shaming or sex paranoia, and they didn't make it all about them. Those crazy kids! They didn't even consent!

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Skep tickle wrote:I'm not a fan of Yemmy's poetry, but she is posting some real human rights stuff relevant to atheism/humanism. Some of the stuff about the is not fresh news but the issues are still ongoing (bad boy prosperity gospel bishop, and legislation against same sex marriage), and now she has some posts up about "International Day against Homophobia" (IDAHO, which made me laugh, from here in Pacific NW) - including footage of herself in protests (probably in UK).

Agreed.
Her poetry I might find terrible and I'm not a fan of the way she flared up against criticism, but looking over the rest of her blog revealed that she's super pissed off about and is actively fighting against truly awful crimes and social atrocities all bound up with religion. Those are the things she seems most interested in, and I can see how that could sort of put her in a state of constant high alert. She comes across as a bull in a china shop when discussing atheism plus and her poetry, but I can see how she might need that mental stance when facing down the super extreme batshit crazy she fights against.

Btw Skep, thanks for the reminder about blood donations. I'll be doing that in the next day or two.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Ophelia Benson upset that Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science website hosted recent blog posts from Ron Lindsay concerning CFI:

#RDFbullies

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... dfbullies/

First complaint? Title of the re-post on Dawkins' site...usual par for the course from Ophelia - not actually responding to content and talking about things such as writing style/choice of words
And no those are not “three posts about the Women in Secularism Conference” – that’s false advertising. They’re three posts about Ron Lindsay’s dislike of feminism and then his fury at uppity women who dislike his thrusting of his dislike of feminism on a conference that wasn’t meant to be about his dislike of feminism. Those posts aren’t about the conference at all.
...and, actually, they are three posts about #WIScfi - the first is Ron's talk to the conference and the next two are responses to responses concerning his talk. Note too, the gross mischaracterizing of Lindsay "fury at uppity women" "thrusting of his dislike for feminism." What in the world is she talking about?
Brilliant. I guess Ron was so pleased with the results of his three blog posts at the conference itself that he felt it would be even better to trash the conference afterwards with the help of Dawkins. What’s he going to do for an encore? Post photoshops of all the speakers? Is it heads on goats time?
"trash the conference afterwards with the help of Dawkins"

Serious question:

Is it heads on goats time?

http://i.imgur.com/8z7Uu1c.jpg

No goats, no glory.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I give up - who's on the left?

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Git wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

Are anti social justice libertarians the new Reds under the Bed?
When all you have is near-Maoism (Prime Exhibit A: Setard), everything looks like a "anti-social justice libertarian".

This is what I've been saying for a long time, this is classic entryism by an ideological group determined to pervert and take over an entire movement to their ends.
Funny that you and I, despite our differences, fully agree on that part.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Death toll from tornado is at 51, but likely to rise. Includes 20 children, so far.

My son is 6,800 miles from home right now, but when he gets home next week I'm going to hug him something fierce.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Skep tickle wrote:
It was said by some that Lindsay and Cornwell were 'bookends' at #WIScfi

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Skep tickle wrote:
I believe it's Lauren Becker, who ended the conference.

Really looking forward to seeing all the speeches and discussions once they come online so I can hear it all for myself. From JVs tweets, many of the speakers had a lot of interesting things to say. The only part that might be dull and irrelevant is the one where the FTB girls had their panel.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

justinvacula wrote:
Woops. I guessed wrong

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

justinvacula wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Ah, that makes sense.

About Cornwell's talk, Lousy Canuck (who wasn't there) said (second hand):
But I still think this is the wrong question. The real question should be, in my mind: “Would Robert G Ingersoll speak at Women in Secularism, if he was asked?”

Would he speak at a conference called Women In Secularism, knowing full well that he wasn’t one, if he was asked? I’d like to think, if he’s half the booster of women’s right to do work at the same pay as men, he would command his prices per head speaking at the convention, then show up and do Lauren Becker’s duties of keeping time and introducing the speakers. Or he might just sit down in the audience and listen quietly. I don’t know that we particularly have any pull quotes from his oratory that specifically support my hunch, but it seems like the kind of thing the wag might do.

But that’s pure speculation. I know, imagining myself as an orator of his calibre but every bit as feminist as I am today, that if I was asked, I’d say “hell no”. I’d want to be a contributor in subtle ways that emphasize the women involved, and not myself. Ways like liveblogging the entire conference, for instance.
Yep, that's pure speculation, including the part about imaging yourself as an orator of his caliber - and as a feminist with any balls. :roll:

halophilic

Post by halophilic »

One thing for Facebook Christian friends; all their bullshit talk about praying for OK motivated me to get off my ass and throw what I can at the Red Cross.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote: Not to Monday-evening-quarterback, but I am kinda surprised that the schools (& many of the homes) didn't have tornado cellars - we had one in the house I grew up in, in the Midwest (though we mostly used it to store food in).

Climate change, denied, kills hundreds repeatedly and will more and more over time, receives little funding and usually only to clear the mess up after
The Consensus Project is worth sharing around. Too many people are riding the disinformation wagon about climate science.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

KiwiInOz wrote:

The Consensus Project is worth sharing around. Too many people are riding the disinformation wagon about climate science.
Also its quite certain that tornadoes will come again in the same areas. Its like Australian residents and bureaucrats having lackluster bushfire fuel policies, disallowing tree clearing around houses, then being surprised when a bushfire wipes out a bunch of houses. Its only been happening for a tens of millenia.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

DownThunder wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:

Also its quite certain that tornadoes will come again in the same areas. Its like Australian residents and bureaucrats having lackluster bushfire fuel policies, disallowing tree clearing around houses, then being surprised when a bushfire wipes out a bunch of houses. Its only been happening for a tens of millenia.
Ain't that the truth. And we are effectively supercharging the climate system just for added excitement.

justinvacula

Citizen Radio

Post by justinvacula »

For those interested in the thrashing of CFI and Ron Lindsay by Jamie Kilstein and Allison Kilkenny on Citizen Radio - I listened to the show and identified interesting timestamps.

The show:
http://wearecitizenradio.com/2013/05/20 ... n-detroit/

The storify:
http://storify.com/ElevatorGATE/citizen ... commentary

Kilstein talks so much shit on the show and on Twitter - not only to and about me, but also Damion (!). He should just get a place on Freethought Blogs already with PZ and Ophelia because -- like PZ and Ophelia -- he talks so much shit but is unwilling to defend his ideas - instead launching character attacks debasing his dissenters and making excuses.

Some selected items:
Ron Lindsay "doesn't understand needs of women"
Allison "upset" that #WIScfi was not planned with Rebecca Watson in mind
Rebecca Watson, "other people" getting rape and death threats "every day"
Jamie says he will not be performing for CFI "again" until Ron Lindsay is "gone"
Allison claims Ron Lindsay "yelling at" #WIScfi women who "shelled out" money
Allison claims Ron Lindsay made job of woman asking for donations to CFI "as hard as possible"
It is "inexcusable" to donate to Center For Inquiry until Ron Lindsay is "gone"
Allison implies people who label as humanist rather than feminist do bc they don't think women are humans

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Southern wrote:
Fuck off, Vacula.

You were cheap entertainment at the conference, but don't go dragging our lovely and healthy Pit community by inviting us to start more shit with new bloggers at FfTB. We should, I think, merely let the rope spool from our hands. Those who deserve it will tie fine nooses with no further help from us. The rest will use our offering to secure their beach huts.

Or something? I think I got a bit lost in the middle of that metaphor. Oh, yeah: fuck off, Vacula.
I don't think JV was implying we should go over there and start shit; rather that we should actually give him a welcome - as many of us did with the other recent new FTBlogger, Ally Fogg. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Pitchguest wrote:Look at this shit.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... -yourself/

Greta Christina has another post up where she highlights a comment she got on another of her blog posts. This is one, tiny comment, which is obviously a troll, and really could've been addressed to anyone. But, because this is Christina we're talking about, she wrote another screed pretty much indicating this is why "atheism" (she doesn't go into specifics, she just says "atheism") needs to "pay attention to sexism and misogyny" and whatever else she could think of.

But then she asks this question at the end, "Who the hell tells someone to kill themselves... as a comment on a post about clinical depression?"

Well, a troll is the obvious answer, fishing for a reaction. And they seem to gotten the jackpot considering Greta bought it hook, line and sinker.

Or this,
Someone Justin Vacula would call a “brave hero”?
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... ent-102674

Matt Dillahunty must be so proud of his co-workers.

What you do with the kind of comments Greta gets is to ignore them, because it's pointless to take it seriously, and if you want to block them on your blog, you block them. Simple. What you *shouldn't* do is give it a platform, letting them know they got you riled up because that will just encourage them to keep going. This is "How to Not Feed the Trolls 101". Besides, what does that comment tell us about this person, about their vocation, about their belief system, or even their gender? "Kali", in Hindu religion, is a goddess, not a god. Shouldn't it then be assumed that the person who wrote that message could very well be a woman, albeit a troll? But the blog post begins with "MEN call me things", not "PEOPLE call me things" which means rather than Greta knowing the identity of the troll, she would rather assume their identity and glorify their words to drum up her victim status. I'm surprised she didn't provide a plug for her book at the end to have it come full circle.
The problem is that there are no doors on the Internet. Trying to make a general observation about the Atheist/Skeptic community by citing an egregious troll is like tying to make a general point out society by citing examples from your high school (or the non-Merkan equivalent). Perhaps you can make general observations about your own group culture after having interacted with those holding controversial positions, but this is precisely the information FtB denies itself with ban-happiness. To her credit, I've told Greta that I post here, and she hasn't banned me.

And just to be clear, that comment was horrible. It's grossly irresponsible, not to mention just plain cruel, to say something like that on a post about depression.