Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
franc

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by franc »

welch wrote:
franc wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Like it or not, @elevatorgate has done a tremendous job in documenting, following, and calling out bullshit from #ftbullies. While I don't always like the style, you can't deny his amazing work. He ought to be honored with the hashtag and radio show bearing his moniker.
Wholeheartedly agree. I tire of people frowning down there noses at the guy. He is priceless. Unlike the people that shit on him, I have actually made the effort to contact him and speak with him - he knows what he's doing and he knows when to back off in regards to JREF and similar. You don't have to like him or thank him - but he does a job that needs doing. Stop shitting on him.
Yeah! HOW DARE WE DISAGREE WITH HIM!
Who said anything about agreeing with him? But I forget, you know what I mean better than I do.

Biggest difference with Elevatorgate is that while others just talk - he does. And gets under the skin of all the right people. He deserves more credit than just common smarmy disdain from theoretical baboon watchers.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Does anyone have a way to find out the average number of daily posts on the A+ forum? It looks like it's a dead forum.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

welch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:BTW, slightly amusing bit on Skeptics Guide this week as Queen Bee stumbles badly on the science again, over the issue what "speed" one would need to be travelling to sustain artificial gravity. One of the Novella's responds (and you can hear the "duh" in their voice) that it would be 1G.

BTW, again, the biggest reality check (and flaming embarassment) the Baboons could face is if Queen Bee was sacked from the SGU. C'mon Novella's, you know what you gotta do!
Did she really say speed instead of acceleration?
Yes.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

For anyone who has simple questions about tornadoes:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/05/2 ... aid-To-Ask

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
welch wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:BTW, slightly amusing bit on Skeptics Guide this week as Queen Bee stumbles badly on the science again, over the issue what "speed" one would need to be travelling to sustain artificial gravity. One of the Novella's responds (and you can hear the "duh" in their voice) that it would be 1G.

BTW, again, the biggest reality check (and flaming embarassment) the Baboons could face is if Queen Bee was sacked from the SGU. C'mon Novella's, you know what you gotta do!
Yes.
Fucking gravity how does it work?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

bovarchist wrote:
sacha wrote:
here is Ricky Gervais again (the reason I could not find the tweet is because he said it in an interview):

Ricky Gervais: No, I'm not a maniac. Of course humans are my favorite animal. [pauses] But I've never met an animal who was a cunt.

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebri ... z2Tza1ONsM
He's obviously never met the Honey Badger.
Tell me about it. I've had the pleasure of chasing one out of a chicken coop, or TBH, it was more case of me standing outside the coop white-knuckled and grateful for the chicken wire between us while it snarled at me. It's armed with chemical weapons too. The odour it releases from it's butt is not dinner-table appropriate. It came back a week later and wiped out the coop.

The neighbours sharpei cross is an absolute cunt. I haven't seen Cassius, my borrowed cat, (can't stand it's owner's dogs, so it lives with me and lives on rodents) for a week and I have suspicions that the bitch killed it. Cassius hasn't been gone this long before and I fear he's been done in by said cuntish doggy or a puffadder. The puffadder, another example of truly cuntish fauna. They're natures anti-personnel mines.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

ERV wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
welch wrote:

Yes.
Fucking gravity how does it work?
This is obviously false. Here is the correct information.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Why would PZ et al suggest a white man for CFI CEO, why not take this 'opportunity' to promote a woman or other member of an underrepresented group?

Melody Hensley, the executive director of CFI-DC, perhaps?

(or, if they have and I missed it, pointer would be appreciated)

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

That site is not set up as a source of good information on inequities in the justice system of various countries as it applies to gender. Were it that, I'd think it a highly useful resource, one that could actually accomplish something. Instead, it's Elam and JTO being spiteful and petty.

It's their inability to resist that kind of temptation, which to me looks like petty revenge, that hurts the core good ideas their movement has.

As far as "well it's only some people on the site", if they're on the site, it is entirely reasonable to assume that what they are saying is at least, in some form, approved of by those who run the site, given that there is at least some form of active moderation, as people have been banned from the site. So there's clearly some form of approval going on there.
It's worth noting that Elam and JtO are the site's #1 and #2 respectively, and its most prolific writers.

AVfM is puerile crap. There is not a single good writer that I've seen, and some of them are so bad as to be almost incoherent. Register-Her is stupid propagandist revenge-fantasy shit, and I wouldn't be surprised if a court eventually orders them to take it down. Manboobz, while I'm aware he's a little buddy-buddy with Peezus, has made a very damning case against them. He posts about AVfM frequently and it's always legitimately terrible shit.

I think Elam has some fundamentally good ideas but he is NOT the right person to spearhead this thing.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Please tell me Inhofe's first name is Jack! Please, please, please!
Damn, busted. I knew you pesky kids would work it out one day.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Pretty well a given in my book that people who in general identify as Muslim in certain regions, have attitudes on certain topics that conflict with current social attitudes within the West.

(This is a rather superficial statement on the surface but overall I think is fairly accurate).

Examples may be found here:
http://www.pewforum.org/Muslim/the-worl ... haria.aspx

Like this one:
http://www.pewforum.org/uploadedImages/ ... chp1-8.png

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Please tell me Inhofe's first name is Jack! Please, please, please!
Okay, just because you asked so nicely: Inhofe's first name is Jack!!

(Well, there probably is someone w/ that name, but he's not the senator from Oklahoma)
Yeah, thanks for the toss-out. But how fun would it be to be named Jack Inhofe? (if the final "e" is silent, of course).

I'm reading the article Dick linked to about sharia law and "feminism". It's quite distressing.
There is an enquiry going on now following lots of reports that in the interests of 'cultural sensitivity' a lot of student meetings are being conducted with men and women separated in the audience. This was reported here a while back http://london.tab.co.uk/2013/03/10/rich ... on-at-ucl/

There was also an interesting BBC programme about a few weeks. Generally, Muslim women can't help themselves without dire consequences yet these feminists have no interest in assisting them at all.

A+ refuses to discuss anything that is about 'brown issues' because of colonialism.

I consider most people at the Slympit are more feminist than those SJW's who are full of hot air and only supports something that helps them directly.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Percentage wrote:It's worth noting that Elam and JtO are the site's #1 and #2 respectively, and its most prolific writers.

AVfM is puerile crap. There is not a single good writer that I've seen, and some of them are so bad as to be almost incoherent. Register-Her is stupid propagandist revenge-fantasy shit, and I wouldn't be surprised if a court eventually orders them to take it down. Manboobz, while I'm aware he's a little buddy-buddy with Peezus, has made a very damning case against them. He posts about AVfM frequently and it's always legitimately terrible shit.

I think Elam has some fundamentally good ideas but he is NOT the right person to spearhead this thing.
Well, why not tell him exactly how you feel yourself? Here you go:
http://www.avoiceformen.com/policies/contact-us/

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Skeptic_Duh wrote:
justinvacula wrote:What was Ophelia thinking when she posted this?

A beseeching gesture this time

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... this-time/

http://i.imgur.com/DPiHpni.jpg

Cue another Bachmann hotdog incident?

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/The_M ... g_Incident
What the actual hell?

The two do not even remotely resemble each other.

Brave Hero? more like Brave Idiot.

Your always complaining on how she is talking about you and here you are, trying to make shit up about her.

Concur with the above - "get a life" -
Personally I'm left wondering who she is begging and why.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

AndrewV69 wrote:Pretty well a given in my book that people who in general identify as Muslim in certain regions, have attitudes on certain topics that conflict with current social attitudes within the West.
Not to miss your overall point - but in order to make sense of the graph do we not first need to how large a % of Muslims in a given area want Sharia implemented?

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Percentage wrote:It's worth noting that Elam and JtO are the site's #1 and #2 respectively, and its most prolific writers.

Well, why not tell him exactly how you feel yourself? Here you go:
http://www.avoiceformen.com/policies/contact-us/
Well, I would basically be suggesting an entirely new site, not involving Paul Elam.

Like I said, I don't disagree with many of the fundamental ideas on which AVfM operates. But the execution is terrible. I'm entirely willing to listen to someone else who can lay out those good ideas without being a giant, unprofessional asshole.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

Gefan wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
Gefan wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I know I'm going to take heat for this and I understand why. I concede all of your counterpoints in advance.
I'm not feeling any empathy for the Oklahoma victims. These are the people who always relect Coburn and Inhofe, senators who tried to block reclined funds for Hurricane Sandy victims and are constantly trying to defund FEMA. Well now those same people have their hands out. Do you think they get the irony? Do you think they'll learn from this and be more sympathetic to victims of other disasters? I doubt it. As soon as they get their government money they'll be back to railing against the goverment and talking about personal responsibility. As far as I'm concerned, let them pray to Jesus and see if he helps them.

Just had to get that off my chest.
Fuck 'em into the ground, eh?

Largely thanks to Mykeru, I've taken some belated interest in the Jodi Arias trial. The victim was a mormon, an insurance salesman and a motivational speaker. In order to qualify as someone I'd less like to hang around you'd have to transform into a werewolf.
Nonetheless, he was still a human being with a family he loved and who loved him. I see his family in court and they're not part of any tribe. They are just humans, grieving. I don't take solace in the prospect of Arias (a pure sociopath) being strapped down, bereft of all dignity and euthanized. All I see is suffering, and tragedy.
Let's assume everyone of those people had Coburn and Inhofe stickers on the back of their (take your pick) minivan or pick-up truck. Assume they were all card carrying Pentecostals.
So.
Fucking.
What?

They love their kids. They pay their taxes. If any of them try and harm anyone else (and right now I'm guessing they're kinda busy) then I'll support fucking with them. Until then...

If you wanted a key difference between us and the baboons, you could do a lot worse than empathy that extends beyond the tribe.
At least, that's what I want to believe.
I'm just venting, but picking up your argument; as a gay man, those people are in fact working against me by backing those assholes in DC and will likely pick up right where they left off once they're back on their feet.
And when they get back on their feet, go back to fighting them.
The US military has a policy of, wherever possible, treating wounded enemy combatants in the field. This policy is taken seriously and those pursuing it often risk their lives doing so.
I understand how you feel. I'm just submitting to you that it's not the best strategy for anyone in the long run. The point has been made by (amongst others) Dan Savage and Andrew Sullivan that the Marriage Equality debate has been won largely because more and more Americans have realized they know gay people. Once they see the shared humanity of "the other" then it (usually) becomes impossible to hate.
Zvan is probably the baboon I find the most ridiculous (based on her sheer ego and mendacity) and if I had the chance to pull her out of the rubble of a flattened building, I would (possibly with the assistance of a tow-truck).
After dusting her off I'd make sure someone had a camera rolling and then introduce myself as a Slymepitter.
I don't hate them, the baboons or whoever may or may not have voted for Senators Inhofe and Coburn. They're all welcome to hate me, that doesn't worry me at all but, based on long experience, I'm very afraid of hating them.
I get what you are saying and agree. It takes a sociopath, or someone defending themselves, to witness extreme pain and not feel an overriding compulsion to stop the suffering.But I can't help feeling that while the wounds are still fresh the right-wing bastards who are happy to see severely ill patients dumped on the streets by hospitals through lack of insurance should be asked to justify why they are more deserving of taxpayer's help. The usual fiscal conservative outlook favours egregious amounts of money funneled to weapons production and a free market private healthcare system. Their priorities don't reflect well on them. The so-called free market in healthcare features enormously inflated costs which are bleeding the US dry. I'm told that the discounted prices negotiated by the US insurance companies are still way higher than in countries where the costs are regulated. From outside it looks as if the average American is a slave to the threat of health problems.

welch

Post by welch »

franc wrote:
welch wrote:
franc wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Like it or not, @elevatorgate has done a tremendous job in documenting, following, and calling out bullshit from #ftbullies. While I don't always like the style, you can't deny his amazing work. He ought to be honored with the hashtag and radio show bearing his moniker.
Wholeheartedly agree. I tire of people frowning down there noses at the guy. He is priceless. Unlike the people that shit on him, I have actually made the effort to contact him and speak with him - he knows what he's doing and he knows when to back off in regards to JREF and similar. You don't have to like him or thank him - but he does a job that needs doing. Stop shitting on him.
Yeah! HOW DARE WE DISAGREE WITH HIM!
Who said anything about agreeing with him? But I forget, you know what I mean better than I do.

Biggest difference with Elevatorgate is that while others just talk - he does. And gets under the skin of all the right people. He deserves more credit than just common smarmy disdain from theoretical baboon watchers.
What the fuck does he do that is any different than they do? He badgers them constantly on Twitter, and has a blog. Big fucking deal. By that token, then FTB is changing the fucking world, because what do THEY DO?

1) Badger people on twitter
2) write a fucking blog.

Big.

Deal.

Wait, wait, did he...change his twitter avatar? I hope not, because OMG, SUCH ACTUAL WORK!

But, it seems he meets your purity test, so he's okay. "theoretical baboon watchers". Jesus.

Look, he makes some good points, but he also feeds their fucking narrative like he had a bag of Purina Stupid Narrative Chow. So for every good point he makes, he gives them just as much material to work with. Does he get under their skin? Of course, but so do chiggers.

But go on, tell us how brave a hero he and you both are. I cannot wait for it. I already have my popcorn.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Dave2 wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Pretty well a given in my book that people who in general identify as Muslim in certain regions, have attitudes on certain topics that conflict with current social attitudes within the West.
Not to miss your overall point - but in order to make sense of the graph do we not first need to how large a % of Muslims in a given area want Sharia implemented?
You accidently a verb, didn't you?

welch

Post by welch »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
welch wrote:

Yes.
Sigh.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Skeptic_Duh wrote:

What the actual hell?

Your always complaining on how she is talking about you and here you are, trying to make shit up about her.

Well, and why she posted it. Kinda sad.

codelette

Post by codelette »

Skep tickle wrote:Why would PZ et al suggest a white man for CFI CEO, why not take this 'opportunity' to promote a woman or other member of an underrepresented group?

Melody Hensley, the executive director of CFI-DC, perhaps?

(or, if they have and I missed it, pointer would be appreciated)
She was all stressed out and sleepless over planning that WIS thing; if she takes over the whole foundation she'll die of a hear attack.
BTW, what the heck is her background?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Skep tickle wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Skeptic_Duh wrote:

What the actual hell?

Well, and why she posted it. Kinda sad.
Reading her post it seems like she thinks it's a nice picture.
She likes the fact that her face is partially obscured by the microphone.

I think she has a look of kd lang about her in that picture.
http://i.imgur.com/Q3l6Mh6.jpg

codelette

Post by codelette »

Heart. Fucking phone...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Jack wrote:
There is an enquiry going on now following lots of reports that in the interests of 'cultural sensitivity' a lot of student meetings are being conducted with men and women separated in the audience. This was reported here a while back http://london.tab.co.uk/2013/03/10/rich ... on-at-ucl/

There was also an interesting BBC programme about a few weeks. Generally, Muslim women can't help themselves without dire consequences yet these feminists have no interest in assisting them at all.

A+ refuses to discuss anything that is about 'brown issues' because of colonialism.
Well good luck with that.

There is a cultural component involved (although I can not claim to understand it) that is independent of being Muslim. Based on my personal experience the culture also extends to non-Muslims within the same geographic region also including a certain percentage who on the surface are secular.

These values are also held by immigrants and their children in places like the UK and Australia (the latter BTW has had incidents of Sunni vs Shia violence recently). The people who reject those values find themselves divorced not just from the community as a whole but also their entire extended family.

So good luck again I say in "helping" the women free themselves from their "oppression" seeing as you are likely to be met with resistance and resentment for meddling in the affairs of the very people you are going to "help".

No I do not know what the percentages are. However, based on the discussions I have read on a couple of boards (Sunni and Shia) the majority of the women who post there (self selecting and not necessarily reflective of the entire community) will not appreciate attempts to separate them from their values.

No I do not have suggestions. I do find incidents like this one very funny though:

Celebrity photographer kicked by Muslim woman she tried to help tells of pain at being charged as a racist
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... z1zyeKUL94

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

welch wrote:
franc wrote:

What the fuck does he do that is any different than they do? He badgers them constantly on Twitter, and has a blog. Big fucking deal. By that token, then FTB is changing the fucking world, because what do THEY DO?

2) write a fucking blog.

Big.

Deal.

Wait, wait, did he...change his twitter avatar? I hope not, because OMG, SUCH ACTUAL WORK!

But, it seems he meets your purity test, so he's okay. "theoretical baboon watchers". Jesus.

Look, he makes some good points, but he also feeds their fucking narrative like he had a bag of Purina Stupid Narrative Chow. So for every good point he makes, he gives them just as much material to work with. Does he get under their skin? Of course, but so do chiggers.

But go on, tell us how brave a hero he and you both are. I cannot wait for it. I already have my popcorn.

If there's something to learn from what happened with EBW and from reading these old blog posts from the start of the schism it's that many of the people on "the other side" of these issues are not a million miles away ideologically and are in fact primarily motivated by personal disagreements and mutual bad blood. I would rather see people brought around than driven out. @Elevatorgate is doing something in that regard, but at least some (I can't give a proportion because I mostly ignore him) of what he does is moving things in the wrong direction.

welch

Post by welch »

Percentage wrote:
That site is not set up as a source of good information on inequities in the justice system of various countries as it applies to gender. Were it that, I'd think it a highly useful resource, one that could actually accomplish something. Instead, it's Elam and JTO being spiteful and petty.

It's their inability to resist that kind of temptation, which to me looks like petty revenge, that hurts the core good ideas their movement has.

As far as "well it's only some people on the site", if they're on the site, it is entirely reasonable to assume that what they are saying is at least, in some form, approved of by those who run the site, given that there is at least some form of active moderation, as people have been banned from the site. So there's clearly some form of approval going on there.
It's worth noting that Elam and JtO are the site's #1 and #2 respectively, and its most prolific writers.

AVfM is a fucking mess to be blunt. They careen from really good ideas, like helping someone get good legal support and the like, to raging antifeminist, if not anti-woman idiocy, and if you point any of this out, then they start with the "Well, that's only SOME people"

Hey, fuck that shit. Not all the FTB bloggers are douchebags, does that mean you can't criticize FTB for its overall douchey support? Not all christians are moronic evil dumbasses, do you stop criticizing Christianity's actual faults?

Of course not. But you start trying to criticize the real issues with AVfM, and it's all "that's not all of us" and no true scotsman.

AVfM needs to make up its mind...actually help things get better, or be a repository for revenge fantasy. But it can't do both, and then complain when they people who disagree with them point out the inconvenient bits.

welch

Post by welch »

AbsurdWalls wrote:
welch wrote:
franc wrote:

2) write a fucking blog.

Big.

Deal.

If there's something to learn from what happened with EBW and from reading these old blog posts from the start of the schism it's that many of the people on "the other side" of these issues are not a million miles away ideologically and are in fact primarily motivated by personal disagreements and mutual bad blood. I would rather see people brought around than driven out. @Elevatorgate is doing something in that regard, but at least some (I can't give a proportion because I mostly ignore him) of what he does is moving things in the wrong direction.

Precisely. Lots of people *do* things, but the "toss a hand grenade in the room" approach is not something that works when it's SOP. Getting attention is great, but what do you do afterwards. Elevatorgate is solid at getting attention, but he goes so far off the rails that people stop listening to him, because parsing the good from the WTF starts taking too much effort.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Secular Woman releases 'Statement of Objection' to Ron Lindsay, CFI

Statement of Objection to Center for Inquiry CEO Ron Lindsay's Actions Regarding Feminism

http://www.secularwoman.org/Statement_of_Objection

My analysis:
The Secular Woman Board of Directors, in consultation with our most active members and supporters, regrets having to express our organization’s deep concern over recent public statements from Mr. Ron Lindsay, Center for Inquiry (CFI) CEO, during and following that organization’s Women in Secularism (WiS) conference this past weekend.

Secular Woman promoted the WiS event heavily with our membership for months. During this period we raised $2190 that enabled seven women, relatively new to the secular movement, to experience an event they would not otherwise have had the means to attend. Based on member feedback, we estimate that another 25 of the reported 300 WiS attendees were at the conference because of Secular Woman’s encouragement. Additionally, 57% of our Board of Directors was present.

Through Secular Woman’s @AbortTheocracy campaign, thousands of our fans, followers and members have been made aware of CFI’s efforts in the area of reproductive rights. In fact, CFI is the only organization to have taken advantage of this service announced to secular leaders on an internal list-serv for leaders in the secular movement.
As 'Big Red' has said, "Cry me a river." So what if SW supported the conference and helped send people to the conference. Good for them. Now, they have "buyer's remorse" because Ron Lindsay was not dogmatic enough to meet their every whims and needs? Just because they support the conference does not mean that they are placated - or have a moral right to object to Ron's skepticism in the opening remarks. Didn't Amy try this, too, with TAM, saying that since she supported the conference so much that it was objectionable for Harriet Hall to wear a t-shirt she didn't like, for people to wear 'fake jewelry,' and such? Page out of that playbook...

If Secular Woman wants their own conference with their own dogma, they ought to go ahead and do that...but this was not their conference and this was CFI's conference...and these were Ron's opening remarks. Ron uses his time and opening remarks how he sees fit.
Given our support and the aims of WiS, we find it stunningly unacceptable that Mr. Lindsay chose to greet our members, our Board, and other attendees with his personal, ill-formed criticisms of feminism rather than welcoming us all to the conference we had promoted and paid to attend.
Ill-informed criticisms of feminism? What are these? Was not Ron, by giving opening remarks, infact welcoming? Ron also said...

"One thing you may have noticed already is that I did not give you a formal welcome to Women in Secularism 2. Of course you are welcome here. We're very happy to have you with us, but this is something you know already, and, although I don’t want to appear ungracious, why take up time to state the obvious, because the reality is we have much work to do, and presumably you came here for substance not rhetoric."
Worse, he instead chose to personally welcome a man who has harassed and antagonized many of the speakers scheduled for the weekend, and who now has an interview about the conference on the front page of the website of A Voice for Men, which has been designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group.
Funny they didn't mention my name this time around when spreading their lies and propaganda - they were happy to do it before concerning the Secular Coaltion for America witch hunt. Perhaps they, too, should #WitchOfTheWeek Melody Hensley for giving me a handshake and welcoming me? How about other CFI staff? It's called professionalism, Secular Woman. Conference attendees are welcomed by conference hosts...and I bet Ron went out of his way to welcome me because of the threat narrative and the ridiculous concerns that were allegedly sent to CFI calling for me to be banned from attending and the like. And, you know, I am sure Ron went around welcoming other conference attendees too - including the Secular Woman board and members.

Anyway, there was no harassment of speakers. In fact, the conference had an anti-harassment policy and I was not ejected from the conference. Oh no! I spoke with AVFM...which actually was not designated by SPLC as a hate group.
SPLC:
First, A Voice For Men has not been labeled a ‘hate site.’ This has been admitted by a representative of the Southern Poverty Law Center who said, “It should be mentioned that the SPLC did not label MRAs as members of a hate movement; nor did our article claim that the grievances they air on their websites – false rape accusations, ruinous divorce settlements and the like – are all without merit.”
More threat narrative from dogmatic feminists...and who is it who really understands feminism?

They said, in a post explaining their refusal to sign the 'Open Letter':
At Secular Woman, the principle that “feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression” (Hooks, 2000, p. viii) is taken as a given, and not a topic for debate.
Feminism has various approaches and perspectives...and many many many definitions exist and it is quite dubious to state that feminism (bear in mind they treat it like a monolith, so I will for sake of this discussion) is about ending sexism when feminism is almost always exclusively focusing on issues facing women (not men).
We are incredulous that in a conference about women in the secular movement Mr. Lindsay was completely silent about the threats, harassment, and stalking that many atheist women have experienced at the hands of other atheists.
They continue to provide no documentation whatsoever backing this claim - that "threats, harassment and stalking" is directed at "many atheist women" by "other atheists." Why, anyway, should Ron speak about what Secular Woman wants to speak about...?

AND WAIT A SEC!

Ron contibuted to Skepchick's "Speaking Out Against Hate Directed at Women" series!

http://skepchick.org/2012/07/speaking-o ... a-lindsay/
Additionally, we are truly appalled by the tone and content of his blog post, “Watson’s World and Two Models of Communication,”
Oh, look! They are tone trolling :p
misuses a Secular Woman statement to his own purposes
Misusing?
and claims that those who are active feminists cannot be real reason-and-evidence based secularists
Where was this said?
Not having seen an apology, retraction, or other followup to these official communications, we are forced to arrive at several conclusions:

that Mr. Lindsay’s actions are endorsed by the CFI Board of Directors as consistent with its mission and expectations of leadership
Not necessarily. These are Ron's remarks. While they are on the CFI page, this does not mean the BOD necessarily agrees or disagrees. Since Ron was posting at the conference, little time after the controversy erupted and his speech was delivered, it is safe to assume that the BOD did not even read Ron's remarks and run just went 'solo' with this one (although it would be interesting to learn about CFI policy on their blog posting).
that CFI is content with its limited diversity and doesn’t value the support of Secular Woman or our thousands of members and supporters
Limited diversity? Huh? Not what this list shows:
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/about/personnel

Doesn't value the support of SW? Obviously they did because SW had a conference presence, right? Either way, the fact that Ron did not apologize does not lead to the conclusion that SW is not valued by CFI. Thousands of members? Are these paying members or people on their newsletter/email list? How many of these members are dues-paying and not just free members as a result of the SSA drive which may have bumped SW numbers? - http://www.secularstudents.org/node/4880
that Mr LIndsay’s, and by extension CFI’s, endorsement of the Open Letter, which Mr. Lindsay’s blog violates in every way it could), was a sham
Did Rebecca and PZ 'pick up the phone?'
As a result of Mr. Lindsay’s actions, the past year’s conflicts have been further enflamed, continuing to alienate the demographic showing most growth potential within the secular community - women - not just from CFI, but from the secular movement.
Whose fault is it that conflicts inflamed? Was it Lindsay, giving a very reasonable speech and raising some good skeptical points or the #FTbullies. Look what happens when Amanda Marcotte and Rebecca Watson are invited to be speakers. This entitlement on behalf of SW, RW, AM, and others is tremendous - that the opening speech, delivered by someone who is not them, has to be about their dogma - their threat narrative...

Is it really the case that women are the "demographic showing most growth potential?" What does that even mean? Are not students, anyway? How are women being alienated...at a Women in Secularism 2 conference?
Secular Woman is hopeful that Mr. Lindsay and/or the CFI Board of Directors will offer a formal, complete, and deserved apology and retraction to Secular Woman and all secular women and feminists regarding his “welcome” statement and later blog comments.
Grovel, grovel, grovel. Bow to dogma...and then get accused of a not-pology. ...and is it the case that ALL secular women and feminists disagree with Ron? Of course not. Give me a break Secular Woman.
We trust that Mr. Lindsay and the CFI Board will now, and in the future, actively demonstrate their intolerance of all who harass, threaten, bully, and work to silence women and feminists.
#secularshunning - What is this harassment, threatening, silencing, and bullying anyway - again, no examples as usual.
Finally, Secular Woman seeks open and honest in-person dialogue regarding women, feminism, and the secular community with the CFI Board of Directors.
Interesting. So, who is paying the travel costs?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dave2 wrote:
From the summary:
The survey – which involved more than 38,000 face-to-face interviews in 80-plus languages
with Muslims across Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa – shows that Muslims tend to be
most comfortable with using sharia in the domestic sphere, to settle family or property
disputes. In most countries surveyed, there is considerably less support for severe
punishments, such as cutting off the hands of thieves or executing people who convert from
Islam to another faith. And even in the domestic sphere, Muslims differ widely on such
questions as whether polygamy, divorce and family planning are morally acceptable and
whether daughters should be able to receive the same inheritance as sons.
For the last bit I would not be surprised if the results were skewed one way or the other depending on the number of males vs females were asked about inheritance.

You should read the FAQ also:
http://www.pewforum.org/Muslim/the-worl ... y-faq.aspx

And bear in mind that this is not the last word on the subject either:
http://www.pewforum.org/Topics/Religiou ... on/Muslim/

Finally I am not surprised at any of the findings. Shichat for example has women members from places like Iran, Pakistan and Lebanon and the UK and I have read some of their discussions because unlike some of the more restrictive boards their discussions are generally more open to the public.

For example on IA you not only have to be a member of the board, but you have to apply for permission to read much less post in the sisters section. You also have to be female and will be banned if you divulge what is said there.

Anyway, with all that said do not assume I am an expert on these matters. Those who know me will attest that I completely clueless on many aspects of Western culture in the first place, never mind my attempts to parse others.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I think she has a look of kd lang about her in that picture.
Lay off K.D. Lang.

AbsurdWalls

Post by AbsurdWalls »

Reading the comments on Svan's blog I was struck by the "ew" reaction they had to Damion being a former fundamentalist Christian. Yes ladies and gentlemen of the atheism-promoting community, meet your target audience.

codelette

Post by codelette »

AbsurdWalls wrote:Reading the comments on Svan's blog I was struck by the "ew" reaction they had to Damion being a former fundamentalist Christian. Yes ladies and gentlemen of the atheism-promoting community, meet your target audience.
Yep, I noticed that as well and thought: "hey, isn't Carrie Poppy a former fundie?" I wonder if they express the same disgust towards her...

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Amidst a discussion about American Atheists' President David Silverman pandering to women,

http://i.imgur.com/ndHydkd.jpg

Does David fight against child pornography? If not, he must approve it according to his reasoning.

We're also suspecting he approves of the Taliban, Mexican drug cartels, and you name it because -- according to his reasoning -- he doesn't fight it.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote: I get what you are saying and agree. It takes a sociopath, or someone defending themselves, to witness extreme pain and not feel an overriding compulsion to stop the suffering.But I can't help feeling that while the wounds are still fresh the right-wing bastards who are happy to see severely ill patients dumped on the streets by hospitals through lack of insurance should be asked to justify why they are more deserving of taxpayer's help. The usual fiscal conservative outlook favours egregious amounts of money funneled to weapons production and a free market private healthcare system. Their priorities don't reflect well on them. The so-called free market in healthcare features enormously inflated costs which are bleeding the US dry. I'm told that the discounted prices negotiated by the US insurance companies are still way higher than in countries where the costs are regulated. From outside it looks as if the average American is a slave to the threat of health problems.
I would absolutely agree with everything above and still ask one question:
Do you think the victims of the tornado are going to be more or less likely to "come around" if they are treated with dignity and kindness by their fellow citizens, including those who work for government agencies charged with assisting them?

For the record, I don't think it matters much in the sense that the US is terminally, Soviet-style fucked and has been for some time. I may just be making the whole argument from the perspective of my own conscience.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

There's only two Silvermans (Silvermen?) worth noting:

Sarah (of course)

[youtube]gqF8O5KJQLE[/youtube]

And Roy (oh, wait that's Zimmerman. Oh, well, good to have the clip posted again...)

[youtube]HZmHC75FDqQ[/youtube]

Whig

Post by Whig »

Secular Woman has a little missive out slamming Lindsey, the CFI board, and Vacula.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: I think she has a look of kd lang about her in that picture.
Lay off K.D. Lang.
k.d. lang, please.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Whig wrote:Secular Woman has a little missive out slamming Lindsey, the CFI board, and Vacula.

No surprise there.

Expect the peanut gallery's squeaks to increase in frequency and volume.

agarybuseychristmas

Post by agarybuseychristmas »

So, it's a BIT off-topic from the recent drama, but one of the original "chill girls" recently posted that she is tired of, when Googling her name, this article by the ever-so-lovely and always-cogent Jason Thibeault shows up as the 3rd top-most Google result:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... lmethings/

Apparently, Mallorie contacted him to change the title, which he did, but apparently 'cannot change the URL for indexing purposes', which is of course absolute bullshit to anyone on here who is in the web dev field (Renee). It's called a 301 redirect.

welch

Post by welch »

justinvacula wrote:Amidst a discussion about American Atheists' President David Silverman pandering to women,

http://i.imgur.com/ndHydkd.jpg

Does David fight against child pornography? If not, he must approve it according to his reasoning.

We're also suspecting he approves of the Taliban, Mexican drug cartels, and you name it because -- according to his reasoning -- he doesn't fight it.
The better question is "how do you know I'm not fighting inequality? Is it because I don't do it the same way you do? I use different words? I don't belong to the "right" groups?"

The whole "if you don't fight, you approve" thing is a rathole of back and forth that no one ever wins, because it always goes stupid. The larger question is what is he basing that assumption on?

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

WTF, someone was killed by a machete and dragged through the streets of London. The killers wanted people to take pictures:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22630303

codelette

Post by codelette »

Just read Kim's bio:http://www.secularwoman.org/Kim_Rippere

Very, VERY oppressed unprivileged woman she is...

welch

Post by welch »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:So, it's a BIT off-topic from the recent drama, but one of the original "chill girls" recently posted that she is tired of, when Googling her name, this article by the ever-so-lovely and always-cogent Jason Thibeault shows up as the 3rd top-most Google result:

Apparently, Mallorie contacted him to change the title, which he did, but apparently 'cannot change the URL for indexing purposes', which is of course absolute bullshit to anyone on here who is in the web dev field (Renee). It's called a 301 redirect.
or just export and reimport the post and comments. This is not hard.

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:
Whig wrote:Secular Woman has a little missive out slamming Lindsey, the CFI board, and Vacula.

No surprise there.

Expect the peanut gallery's squeaks to increase in frequency and volume.
was there ever a chance this was not going to happen. I'm hoping CFI follows Dawkins' lead and ignores the lot of them.

welch

Post by welch »

Ericb wrote:WTF, someone was killed by a machete and dragged through the streets of London. The killers wanted people to take pictures:

HOLY FUCK!
The prime minister said the attack was "truly shocking". The government is reported to be treating it as a suspected terrorist incident.

Home Secretary Theresa May has summoned a meeting of Cobra to assess the incident.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:So, it's a BIT off-topic from the recent drama, but one of the original "chill girls" recently posted that she is tired of, when Googling her name, this article by the ever-so-lovely and always-cogent Jason Thibeault shows up as the 3rd top-most Google result:

Yep - server-side 301 redirect. Funny. JT is an "IT guy". You'd think he knows this kind of stuff.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

Yep - server-side 301 redirect. Funny. JT is an "IT guy". You'd think he knows this kind of stuff.

301's can be tricky with CMS's, and that's assuming FTB's WP setup is done correctly. Bit assumption there. But yeah, you'd think Mr. IT would know how to do such things.

Funny how he suddenly is so helpless.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Ericb wrote:WTF, someone was killed by a machete and dragged through the streets of London. The killers wanted people to take pictures:

From what I've heard they just saw some random guy in the street in a uniform and went to town.

agarybuseychristmas

Post by agarybuseychristmas »

welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

301's can be tricky with CMS's, and that's assuming FTB's WP setup is done correctly. Bit assumption there. But yeah, you'd think Mr. IT would know how to do such things.

I have never, ever not had the redirect plugin that takes all but a minute to install and use not work on any Wordpress build ever, and this includes ones that were grandfathered over from the days when Wordpress was a shitty blogging platform that made tumblr look like a bastion of usability.

welch

Post by welch »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:
welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

I have never, ever not had the redirect plugin that takes all but a minute to install and use not work on any Wordpress build ever, and this includes ones that were grandfathered over from the days when Wordpress was a shitty blogging platform that made tumblr look like a bastion of usability.
In general, yes. However, i've seen "experts" get really fucking clever with wordpress until it barely is wordpress anymore, and even updates are a nightmare.

Given that lot, someone being really fucking clever is not a small probability.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote:
welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

In general, yes. However, i've seen "experts" get really fucking clever with wordpress until it barely is wordpress anymore, and even updates are a nightmare.

Ugh. Can't stand it when "professionals" screw with the core of a CMS. There are certain practices one must adhere to when it comes to CMS programs like WP or Drupal. Don't fuck with the core.

Whig

Post by Whig »

justinvacula wrote:Secular Woman releases 'Statement of Objection' to Ron Lindsay, CFI

Statement of Objection to Center for Inquiry CEO Ron Lindsay's Actions Regarding Feminism

My analysis:
The Secular Woman Board of Directors, in consultation with our most active members and supporters, regrets having to express our organization’s deep concern over recent public statements from Mr. Ron Lindsay, Center for Inquiry (CFI) CEO, during and following that organization’s Women in Secularism (WiS) conference this past weekend.

Secular Woman promoted the WiS event heavily with our membership for months. During this period we raised $2190 that enabled seven women, relatively new to the secular movement, to experience an event they would not otherwise have had the means to attend. Based on member feedback, we estimate that another 25 of the reported 300 WiS attendees were at the conference because of Secular Woman’s encouragement. Additionally, 57% of our Board of Directors was present.

Through Secular Woman’s @AbortTheocracy campaign, thousands of our fans, followers and members have been made aware of CFI’s efforts in the area of reproductive rights. In fact, CFI is the only organization to have taken advantage of this service announced to secular leaders on an internal list-serv for leaders in the secular movement.
As 'Big Red' has said, "Cry me a river." So what if SW supported the conference and helped send people to the conference. Good for them. Now, they have "buyer's remorse" because Ron Lindsay was not dogmatic enough to meet their every whims and needs? Just because they support the conference does not mean that they are placated - or have a moral right to object to Ron's skepticism in the opening remarks. Didn't Amy try this, too, with TAM, saying that since she supported the conference so much that it was objectionable for Harriet Hall to wear a t-shirt she didn't like, for people to wear 'fake jewelry,' and such? Page out of that playbook...

If Secular Woman wants their own conference with their own dogma, they ought to go ahead and do that...but this was not their conference and this was CFI's conference...and these were Ron's opening remarks. Ron uses his time and opening remarks how he sees fit.
Given our support and the aims of WiS, we find it stunningly unacceptable that Mr. Lindsay chose to greet our members, our Board, and other attendees with his personal, ill-formed criticisms of feminism rather than welcoming us all to the conference we had promoted and paid to attend.
Ill-informed criticisms of feminism? What are these? Was not Ron, by giving opening remarks, infact welcoming? Ron also said...

"One thing you may have noticed already is that I did not give you a formal welcome to Women in Secularism 2. Of course you are welcome here. We're very happy to have you with us, but this is something you know already, and, although I don’t want to appear ungracious, why take up time to state the obvious, because the reality is we have much work to do, and presumably you came here for substance not rhetoric."
Worse, he instead chose to personally welcome a man who has harassed and antagonized many of the speakers scheduled for the weekend, and who now has an interview about the conference on the front page of the website of A Voice for Men, which has been designated by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group.
Funny they didn't mention my name this time around when spreading their lies and propaganda - they were happy to do it before concerning the Secular Coaltion for America witch hunt. Perhaps they, too, should #WitchOfTheWeek Melody Hensley for giving me a handshake and welcoming me? How about other CFI staff? It's called professionalism, Secular Woman. Conference attendees are welcomed by conference hosts...and I bet Ron went out of his way to welcome me because of the threat narrative and the ridiculous concerns that were allegedly sent to CFI calling for me to be banned from attending and the like. And, you know, I am sure Ron went around welcoming other conference attendees too - including the Secular Woman board and members.

Anyway, there was no harassment of speakers. In fact, the conference had an anti-harassment policy and I was not ejected from the conference. Oh no! I spoke with AVFM...which actually was not designated by SPLC as a hate group.
SPLC:
First, A Voice For Men has not been labeled a ‘hate site.’ This has been admitted by a representative of the Southern Poverty Law Center who said, “It should be mentioned that the SPLC did not label MRAs as members of a hate movement; nor did our article claim that the grievances they air on their websites – false rape accusations, ruinous divorce settlements and the like – are all without merit.”
More threat narrative from dogmatic feminists...and who is it who really understands feminism?

They said, in a post explaining their refusal to sign the 'Open Letter':
At Secular Woman, the principle that “feminism is a movement to end sexism, sexist exploitation, and oppression” (Hooks, 2000, p. viii) is taken as a given, and not a topic for debate.
Feminism has various approaches and perspectives...and many many many definitions exist and it is quite dubious to state that feminism (bear in mind they treat it like a monolith, so I will for sake of this discussion) is about ending sexism when feminism is almost always exclusively focusing on issues facing women (not men).
We are incredulous that in a conference about women in the secular movement Mr. Lindsay was completely silent about the threats, harassment, and stalking that many atheist women have experienced at the hands of other atheists.
They continue to provide no documentation whatsoever backing this claim - that "threats, harassment and stalking" is directed at "many atheist women" by "other atheists." Why, anyway, should Ron speak about what Secular Woman wants to speak about...?

AND WAIT A SEC!

Ron contibuted to Skepchick's "Speaking Out Against Hate Directed at Women" series!

http://skepchick.org/2012/07/speaking-o ... a-lindsay/
Additionally, we are truly appalled by the tone and content of his blog post, “Watson’s World and Two Models of Communication,”
Oh, look! They are tone trolling :p
misuses a Secular Woman statement to his own purposes
Misusing?
and claims that those who are active feminists cannot be real reason-and-evidence based secularists
Where was this said?
Not having seen an apology, retraction, or other followup to these official communications, we are forced to arrive at several conclusions:

that Mr. Lindsay’s actions are endorsed by the CFI Board of Directors as consistent with its mission and expectations of leadership
Not necessarily. These are Ron's remarks. While they are on the CFI page, this does not mean the BOD necessarily agrees or disagrees. Since Ron was posting at the conference, little time after the controversy erupted and his speech was delivered, it is safe to assume that the BOD did not even read Ron's remarks and run just went 'solo' with this one (although it would be interesting to learn about CFI policy on their blog posting).
that CFI is content with its limited diversity and doesn’t value the support of Secular Woman or our thousands of members and supporters
Limited diversity? Huh? Not what this list shows:
http://www.centerforinquiry.net/about/personnel

Doesn't value the support of SW? Obviously they did because SW had a conference presence, right? Either way, the fact that Ron did not apologize does not lead to the conclusion that SW is not valued by CFI. Thousands of members? Are these paying members or people on their newsletter/email list? How many of these members are dues-paying and not just free members as a result of the SSA drive which may have bumped SW numbers? - http://www.secularstudents.org/node/4880
that Mr LIndsay’s, and by extension CFI’s, endorsement of the Open Letter, which Mr. Lindsay’s blog violates in every way it could), was a sham
Did Rebecca and PZ 'pick up the phone?'
As a result of Mr. Lindsay’s actions, the past year’s conflicts have been further enflamed, continuing to alienate the demographic showing most growth potential within the secular community - women - not just from CFI, but from the secular movement.
Whose fault is it that conflicts inflamed? Was it Lindsay, giving a very reasonable speech and raising some good skeptical points or the #FTbullies. Look what happens when Amanda Marcotte and Rebecca Watson are invited to be speakers. This entitlement on behalf of SW, RW, AM, and others is tremendous - that the opening speech, delivered by someone who is not them, has to be about their dogma - their threat narrative...

Is it really the case that women are the "demographic showing most growth potential?" What does that even mean? Are not students, anyway? How are women being alienated...at a Women in Secularism 2 conference?
Secular Woman is hopeful that Mr. Lindsay and/or the CFI Board of Directors will offer a formal, complete, and deserved apology and retraction to Secular Woman and all secular women and feminists regarding his “welcome” statement and later blog comments.
Grovel, grovel, grovel. Bow to dogma...and then get accused of a not-pology. ...and is it the case that ALL secular women and feminists disagree with Ron? Of course not. Give me a break Secular Woman.
We trust that Mr. Lindsay and the CFI Board will now, and in the future, actively demonstrate their intolerance of all who harass, threaten, bully, and work to silence women and feminists.
#secularshunning - What is this harassment, threatening, silencing, and bullying anyway - again, no examples as usual.
Finally, Secular Woman seeks open and honest in-person dialogue regarding women, feminism, and the secular community with the CFI Board of Directors.
Interesting. So, who is paying the travel costs?
Is the SPLC statement you quoted up anywhere? You should really stick that to them if it is.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
welch wrote:
welch wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Ugh. Can't stand it when "professionals" screw with the core of a CMS. There are certain practices one must adhere to when it comes to CMS programs like WP or Drupal. Don't fuck with the core.
Pretty much. But you get a 'genius' or two and they just ratfuck the poor thing to hell and gone. Usually they're on a contract, so they don't have to live with it.

Altair

Post by Altair »

AndrewV69 wrote:I do not remember who asked but here is an update on the situation in Spain.

Spanish Gender Stalinism – Part I
http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/go ... ism-part-i
I'm still several pages behind after a shitton-of-work-at-the-office induced absence from the pit, but since I mentioned the situation in Spain a while ago I wanted to say thank you for the link. I haven't finished reading it but it's already very interesting.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Skeptic_Duh wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/DPiHpni.jpg[/img]

What the actual hell?

Indeed.
Vacula, you are your own worst enemy sometimes.
I rest my case.

Justin, you came off the WiSC weekend starting to look like a grown-up. This shit just threw it all right back out the window. :naughty:

jmpea81

Post by jmpea81 »

Justin is taking a lot of flak in his twitter feed right now... Twitter is an awful medium to have any sort of discussion. It's more an hindrance than an enabler in many cases. It would probably be best to cease communication there for a while and write a blog post or something along the lines of that.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Trophy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:I do not remember who asked but here is an update on the situation in Spain.

Spanish Gender Stalinism – Part I
http://www.avoiceformen.com/feminism/go ... ism-part-i
With LOLzy shit like that, it's no surprise that we laugh at AVfM and find them whiny and stupid. Gender Stalism in Spain!!!! OMFG!

exerpt:
and what she had to say about the long years of the Gender Law makes the term “Gender Stalinism” seem rather mild and incomplete when it comes to describing the brutal misandric tyranny that this Law has furthered.
Hmmm, let's see. Where to begin? I guess we can begin with Stalin himself:
At the conclusion of the conference, a tribute to Comrade Stalin was called for. Of course, everyone stood up (just as everyone had leaped to his feet during the conference at every mention of his name). ... For three minutes, four minutes, five minutes, the stormy applause, rising to an ovation, continued. But palms were getting sore and raised arms were already aching. And the older people were panting from exhaustion. It was becoming insufferably silly even to those who really adored Stalin.
(snip)
If the only counter argument you have against an article of more than 3000 words is their use of a metaphor, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job. Do you also ask people about the concentration camps when they mention a "grammar-nazi"?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

I'm assuming when he calls himself an "IT guy", he means "I learned HTML over one drunken weekend in the 90s when I had a great idea for a geocities page".

Altair

Post by Altair »

Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:

If you are not a feminist presumably you do not believe women are fully equal to men.
Isn't this just the femistazi equivalent of the old "Oh, so you believe in nothing then?" retort when you tell some religious person that you're an atheist?

In other words, the response of a thoroughly dishonest fuckwit.
If I were into twitter wars, I'd ask her if she's an MRA, since not being an MRA would indicate that she doesn't believe men are fully equal to women. But Justicar is doing a fine job debating her, IMO.