Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
Metalogic42

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Metalogic42 »

Regarding A+ racist food...if "Egyptian eggs" is racist, what about french fries, polish sausage, turkish delight, yorkshire pudding, baked alaska, california rolls, hamburgers, london broil, new york strip steak, texas toast, boston cream pie, swiss cheese, long island iced tea, belgian waffles, english muffins, french toast, german chocolate, greek yogurt, irish breakfast tea, brazil nuts.....................?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

justinvacula wrote:From PZ Myers' blog...

http://i.imgur.com/kPlv8tn.jpg
Paden? Fuck Paden and his family fun photoshops. Paden, Paden, Paden.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8534/8843 ... df51_z.jpg

Just saying.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote:
I also have contempt for the men who put up with this behaviour. I've never dated a man who would let a woman get away with that bollocks. He would walk away (or run) at the first sign.
The dilemma is that, like most women, you have unrestrained contempt for a man who lets you get your own way but then not getting your own way causes you to go into a slow simmer that ends in a slashing, knife-wielding outburst.

I still try to figure out what's in it for the guy.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

bovarchist wrote:I've been rereading Stanhope's takedown of Allison Pearson last year...

http://www.dougstanhope.com/journal/201 ... rkeys.html

...and was struck all over again by how fucking epic it is, and how relevant it remains:
People like Allison Pearson are dipping their toes into the internet, into the medium that is quickly making them irrelevant and they are shivering at coldness of their own sudden vulnerability....And you can either sink with the ship or come into the future where you are gonna have to hear what people think in whatever language they choose to use. If you google my name or read the comments on any one of my Youtube clips, you'll find boatloads of comments that are far worse than any of the slings and arrows you or even Fabrice Muamba suffered. It's par for the course. And if anyone ever went to prison for even a minute because of the viciousness of their online attacks on me, I would campaign endlessly for their freedom.
This is what I find so objectionable about the SJW's victim narrative. They pretend that they are singled out in some way for unusual abuse, because they are...well, whatever...when the truth is, they are experiencing the normal and expected response to expressing an opinion on the Internet. They pretend that genuinely abusive trolling is indistinguishable from angry criticism, so as to avoid considering the possibility that they brought it on themselves. And whenever one of them says something along the lines of "You don't know what it's like to be called a cunt/faggot/kike/nigger" I throw up in my mouth a little so I can get a good spray when I shout YES I DO! And when it happens, you have three choices: Take the shit, sling it back at them, or crawl into a corner and cry.
http://images.tribe.net/tribe/upload/ph ... bbb034d2f3

Not too late to draft him for 2016...

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: CH2O: John Greg has the correct assessment of my POV on links to FTB. A bit of detail is always good, and may even sometimes make me click on the link. Or there's that freezpage others use. Anyway, somebody else provided the link a few posts after your, so it's alright.
[youtube]fFtGfyruroU[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Rawrsome wrote:http://www.richardcarrier.info/support.html

1 The easiest way to help is to purchase my books (especially from my Bookstore). Or recommend them to others.

2 Or buy any books & videos at my Richard Carrier Recommends Amazon store, which lists my top recommendations in several categories. I get a commission on all sales there.

3 If you'd just like to send a gift, then send something from my Amazon Wishlist (as many fans have done).

4 If you want to send a gift of money with no strings attached (as some fans have done), then send it to my PayPal account (my payee address is rcarrier@infidels.org).

5. If you want to hire me to research and write something, contact me about terms, but please know I am rarely available and my services are very expensive.
If I didn't know any better I'd say this from a poe.

His avid fans span the world from Hong Kong to Poland
Its all just too poe to be a real person.
He also misspelt Poeland.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Well, Pruneytunes has removed Katie's 'offending' tweet - a spasm of clarity in an otherwise challenged intellect, by the looks of things. But wow - 'feelya went fuckin nuts over that one.

Given what she considers harassment, I'm guessing the tweet in question must have been pretty mild. Really, I can see Prune as Lady Bracknell in The Importance of Being Earnest, loftily exclaiming 'A hashtag? A hashtag?!' in place of the famous 'handbag' line.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Southern wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Jeebus Tittyfucking Christ!!!

Plus, I don't think anyone has noticed emptyell's avatar yet - from The Residents. Watch the shit hit the fan when someone spots that!
I hope none of them descends to the tropical side of the Americas, then. Here we have a candy called, I shit you not, "negrinho" (roughly translated as: "little nigger"). And other called "nega maluca" ("mad nigger").

Those First World bastards know NOTHING about offending people with food.
I must've been twelve or thirteen years old before I heard Brazil nuts called anything but nigger toes.
There's a cider (hard cider for all you cunts in America) in the UK called Blackthorn. When I was at Uni everybody, even the Nigerian - oops, Personofcolourian - I worked with called it nigger's dick (black thorn, get it?).

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Lsuoma wrote:
Rawrsome wrote:http://www.richardcarrier.info/support.html

1 The easiest way to help is to purchase my books (especially from my Bookstore). Or recommend them to others.

2 Or buy any books & videos at my Richard Carrier Recommends Amazon store, which lists my top recommendations in several categories. I get a commission on all sales there.

3 If you'd just like to send a gift, then send something from my Amazon Wishlist (as many fans have done).

4 If you want to send a gift of money with no strings attached (as some fans have done), then send it to my PayPal account (my payee address is rcarrier@infidels.org).

5. If you want to hire me to research and write something, contact me about terms, but please know I am rarely available and my services are very expensive.
If I didn't know any better I'd say this from a poe.

His avid fans span the world from Hong Kong to Poland
Its all just too poe to be a real person.
He also misspelt Poeland.
6. Read my articles (as some fans have done).

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

sacha wrote: I also have contempt for the men who put up with this behaviour. I've never dated a man who would let a woman get away with that bollocks. He would walk away (or run) at the first sign.

Why the fuck would I want a man I could so easily manipulate? That is just as unattractive as men who put women on a pedestal. Men (and women) with no confidence, nor any self-respect are repugnant
This is, I think, a part of why the female baboons that identify as heterosexual (and for them their orientation tends to be a cruel curse of nature) are so profoundly miserable. They only males they find ideologically acceptable are ones they despise.
I've seen this phenomenon up close, and it ain't pretty.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gefan wrote: This is, I think, a part of why the female baboons that identify as heterosexual (and for them their orientation tends to be a cruel curse of nature) are so profoundly miserable. They only males they find ideologically acceptable are ones they despise.
That said, Marcotte's attitude is very good for accurately sorting out the sexist alpha assholes from those males who are going to be friendzoned. :whistle:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tigzy wrote:
Gefan wrote: This is, I think, a part of why the female baboons that identify as heterosexual (and for them their orientation tends to be a cruel curse of nature) are so profoundly miserable. They only males they find ideologically acceptable are ones they despise.
That said, Marcotte's attitude is very good for accurately sorting out the sexist alpha assholes from those males who are going to be friendzoned. :whistle:

I haven't seen a photo of Marcotte's male house pet but anyone want to bet he looks more like:

(a) http://www.kayfabekickout.com/uploads/8 ... ig.jpg?266

or (b) http://guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/Be ... chebag.jpg

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I was commenting on an article that Justin linked on Facebook and noticed a Discus notification of replies. Replies I made over 9 months ago. The thread is now closed, but my comments/replies were the last allowed, so they're at the top of the comment section.

It is funny, my original reply was given 3 upvotes, but all my subsequent replies were downvoted. I like to think I handled it rather well, and may have to copy and use that for later.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/09/02/a ... -638879719

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Someone else must have noticed this ... yes?

Ally Fogg responding to Woo_Monster, Sniffer of Starfarts

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... mment-1288
Have to say, your reactions here are actually a pretty good illustration of my point. This isn’t even an explicitly feminist blog (although feminists are very welcome) and yet at the first whiff of perceived criticism of feminism you firstly accuse me of dog-whistling for MRAs and then (in the post below) employ some pretty vicious sarcasm and attempts at shaming, which I can only read as an attempt to stifle such criticism in future.

agarybuseychristmas

Post by agarybuseychristmas »

Gefan wrote:
sacha wrote: I also have contempt for the men who put up with this behaviour. I've never dated a man who would let a woman get away with that bollocks. He would walk away (or run) at the first sign.

Why the fuck would I want a man I could so easily manipulate? That is just as unattractive as men who put women on a pedestal. Men (and women) with no confidence, nor any self-respect are repugnant
This is, I think, a part of why the female baboons that identify as heterosexual (and for them their orientation tends to be a cruel curse of nature) are so profoundly miserable. They only males they find ideologically acceptable are ones they despise.
What's REALLY fucking funny is that this is how patriarchies were and are made.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Moving away from the usual #ftbullies (for now) and on to what people have told me were the 'real issues I should be focusing on' (tm) - separation of church/state and atheist activism. I was told that I "need" to focus on socas and should "ignore" #ftbullies. Anyway, I do both - and continue to do so :p

I'm getting a good deal of coverage and attention concerning my recent atheist activism in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - working with the FFRF and hanging a banner reading "Nothing Fails Like Prayer" which is a response to a recent event commemorating the National Day of Prayer in the same location.

A local newspaper, The Times Leader, had contacted me and wrote a great interview. Christians are popping up in the comment section. I would very much appreciate it if people can weigh in and rebut.

http://timesleader.com/news/local-news/ ... -of-prayer

[My additional comments offering clarification on the article -
http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... of-prayer/]

http://i.imgur.com/kFWDXlS.jpg

More against the FTB "Justin is unimportant and is insignificant in this community" narrative and PZ's ridiculous comment about how I should be disqualified from activism or whatever the hell that silly comment was.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Metalogic42 wrote:Regarding A+ racist food...if "Egyptian eggs" is racist, what about french fries, polish sausage, turkish delight, yorkshire pudding, baked alaska, california rolls, hamburgers, london broil, new york strip steak, texas toast, boston cream pie, swiss cheese, long island iced tea, belgian waffles, english muffins, french toast, german chocolate, greek yogurt, irish breakfast tea, brazil nuts.....................?

sacha

Post by sacha »

Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:
I also have contempt for the men who put up with this behaviour. I've never dated a man who would let a woman get away with that bollocks. He would walk away (or run) at the first sign.
The dilemma is that, like most women, you have unrestrained contempt for a man who lets you get your own way but then not getting your own way causes you to go into a slow simmer that ends in a slashing, knife-wielding outburst.

Don't "get my way"? Even the connotations that phrase signifies is abhorrent. First of all, I'm not a toddler, I do not need to be catered to. I can't think of anything that I would consider "getting my way" or "not getting my way". Perhaps mild disappointment is a response I may have to a request (ex. "let's have sex for the 5th time today")

I honestly cannot think of anything that I would ask for which would cause me to be angry, or petulant if I did not get it. Perhaps I need an example. It wouldn't be in regards to any material things, it wouldn't be in regards to going somewhere, neither of those things are important to me. If I ask for help with something, and he does not have time, I don't take it personally, I'm not needy, and every man I have ever been in a relationship with were "workaholics", and like me, need a good amount of space, a few of them traveled quite often for business.

Occasionally a contrary response makes me realise I was unconsciously asking for help with something that I could do perfectly well myself, and the lack of acquiescence is reassuring. Why would I be involved with someone I haven't any respect for? Why would I want a relationship with someone who is going to agree, or give in all of the time when they would prefer to say no?

I can't imagine being attracted to a man like that, and could never find pleasure in a relationship without any disagreement. How banal and vapid!

agarybuseychristmas

Post by agarybuseychristmas »

sacha wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:

Don't "get my way"? Even the connotations that phrase signifies is abhorrent. First of all, I'm not a toddler, I do not need to be catered to. I can't think of anything that I would consider "getting my way" or "not getting my way". Perhaps mild disappointment is a response I may have to a request (ex. "let's have sex for the 5th time today")
I think this may have been tongue-in-cheek.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Gefan wrote:

I haven't any sympathy. If that is their idea of what a relationship should be, they deserve to be miserable.

sacha

Post by sacha »

agarybuseychristmas wrote:
sacha wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:

yes, I am well aware of that, it's Mykeru after all, I went off on the thought of it, not in response to Mykeru. I should have clarified.

sacha

Post by sacha »

of course a bloody quote fail the first time in quite a while I have not used the preview button.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gefan wrote:

I haven't seen a photo of Marcotte's male house pet but anyone want to bet he looks more like:

(a) [shouty chopped liver]
or (b) [Julian Francisco]
Marcotte does strike me as the type likely to be more attracted to sexist assholes, mostly because the lady doth seem to protest too much on the matter. As to what Sacha alluded to in the earlier post - about being attracted to those more alpha-ish traits - I think it serves as a broad generalisation of what women as a whole are more likely to be attracted too, rather than a hard and fast rule. After all, we recently saw two females get into a slanging match over Setar - Setar, of all people - and as another commentator pointed out, there's no shortage of women who are into those emo, angsty, whiner-type guys. Likewise, there is some merit to the 'dark-triad' idea, cos frankly, I can't find anything better that explains why psychos like the Yorkshire Ripper and Ted Bundy ended up with substantial female fanclubs - an extreme that serves to illustrate the point, if nothing else.

On an individual level, however, a guy looking to impress a lady might be wise to up the alpha attitude a bit, but only in order to play to the odds. It's far from being a cast-iron guarantee that said lady will indeed be impressed, however, as any number of online PUA 'what-did-I-do-wrong?' stories will attest. In my own experience, the 'bosomy, long-legged, pretty-faced female' does hold as a generalisation of what most hetero men find attractive in a woman; but I have been plenty turned-off by such bosomy, leggy women if they have had a shit attitude, and have also been lucky enough to enjoy the company of women who didn't fit this caricature, but nevertheless had that special something which did inflame my tumescence, by god. Therefore, it seems logical to me that the things which any individual man or woman might find attractive are a lot more nuanced and subtle than the generalisations imply.

Though I admit, I'm not that fussy: the last woman I had sex with had deformed legs. Fortunately for me, there's plenty of women out there who aren't too fussy, either.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

A thought just occurred to me over the question of the use of photoshop as a means of parodying online figures.
I've used it for years, long before the schism started and the claims began that it is some kind of unjustifiable and beyond the pale offence.

If the FTB crowd want to criticize the use of this technique then they are going to have to apply it to every situation where it is used.
For example David Futrelle at manboobz has used photoshopped images of Paul Elam as a means of mocking him.

http://manboobz.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/elababy.png

PZ Myers has posted photoshopped pictures of his opponents too - for example Ben Stein.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2008 ... s-release/

There's probably many more instances that I haven't the time to find but I think it's worth pointing out that they have no problems with mocking photoshops IF it mocks their opponents.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:
This guy is a member of an extended family of seven. He gets driven off by another crow when he gets "too close" to me.
DSCF0383-640x640.jpg
(55.23 KiB) Downloaded 346 times

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

justinvacula wrote: http://i.imgur.com/kFWDXlS.jpg

More against the FTB "Justin is unimportant and is insignificant in this community" narrative and PZ's ridiculous comment about how I should be disqualified from activism or whatever the hell that silly comment was.
A smaller yet somewhat more diverse crowd than what we saw recently with Peez's pic of his 'horde' at WiS.

I see you're getting some pushback from some theists in the comments section, JV. Must be nice to be having an actual intellectual challenge for once, rather than dealing with the baboons and their ilk.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Tigzy wrote:
Gefan wrote:

Marcotte does strike me as the type likely to be more attracted to sexist assholes, mostly because the lady doth seem to protest too much on the matter. As to what Sacha alluded to in the earlier post - about being attracted to those more alpha-ish traits - I think it serves as a broad generalisation of what women as a whole are more likely to be attracted too, rather than a hard and fast rule. After all, we recently saw two females get into a slanging match over Setar - Setar, of all people - and as another commentator pointed out, there's no shortage of women who are into those emo, angsty, whiner-type guys. Likewise, there is some merit to the 'dark-triad' idea, cos frankly, I can't find anything better that explains why psychos like the Yorkshire Ripper and Ted Bundy ended up with substantial female fanclubs - an extreme that serves to illustrate the point, if nothing else.

On an individual level, however, a guy looking to impress a lady might be wise to up the alpha attitude a bit, but only in order to play to the odds. It's far from being a cast-iron guarantee that said lady will indeed be impressed, however, as any number of online PUA 'what-did-I-do-wrong?' stories will attest. In my own experience, the 'bosomy, long-legged, pretty-faced female' does hold as a generalisation of what most hetero men find attractive in a woman; but I have been plenty turned-off by such bosomy, leggy women if they have had a shit attitude, and have also been lucky enough to enjoy the company of women who didn't fit this caricature, but nevertheless had that special something which did inflame my tumescence, by god. Therefore, it seems logical to me that the things which any individual man or woman might find attractive are a lot more nuanced and subtle than the generalisations imply.

Though I admit, I'm not that fussy: the last woman I had sex with had deformed legs. Fortunately for me, there's plenty of women out there who aren't too fussy, either.
I thought the cat fight over Sexy Setar was actually more of a sock puppet fight and one of Eucliwoos better trolling excursions.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Tigzy wrote:
[pic]

I see you're getting some pushback from some theists in the comments section, JV. Must be nice to be having an actual intellectual challenge for once, rather than dealing with the baboons and their ilk.
Angel was there, too...but she took the picture :(

http://nepafreethought.org/community/events?eventId=65

Thanks for the support! It's quite the interesting discussion...

cunt

Post by cunt »

Likewise, there is some merit to the 'dark-triad' idea, cos frankly, I can't find anything better that explains why psychos like the Yorkshire Ripper and Ted Bundy ended up with substantial female fanclubs - an extreme that serves to illustrate the point, if nothing else.
#freejahar. Good looking people can't also be rotten pieces of shit because awww look at that face. I'd bet my life that Ted Bundy had a much more substantial female fanclub than the yorkshire ripper.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote: Don't "get my way"? Even the connotations that phrase signifies is abhorrent. First of all, I'm not a toddler, I do not need to be catered to. I can't think of anything that I would consider "getting my way" or "not getting my way". Perhaps mild disappointment is a response I may have to a request (ex. "let's have sex for the 5th time today")
Sure. It's like the woman I dated last summer, who insisted she wasn't like "those other women" in a futile dodge to distract me from the fact the was just like those other women.
I honestly cannot think of anything that I would ask for which would cause me to be angry, or petulant if I did not get it.

You also have no ego and fart atomized potpourri.
Perhaps I need an example. It wouldn't be in regards to any material things, it wouldn't be in regards to going somewhere, neither of those things are important to me. If I ask for help with something, and he does not have time, I don't take it personally, I'm not needy, and every man I have ever been in a relationship with were "workaholics", and like me, need a good amount of space, a few of them traveled quite often for business.
[youtube]SSUXXzN26zg[/youtube]
Occasionally a contrary response makes me realise I was unconsciously asking for help with something that I could do perfectly well myself, and the lack of acquiescence is reassuring. Why would I be involved with someone I haven't any respect for? Why would I want a relationship with someone who is going to agree, or give in all of the time when they would prefer to say no?
Well, now I'm definitely wondering what I'm going to have for dinner. Please do go on.
I can't imagine being attracted to a man like that, and could never find pleasure in a relationship without any disagreement. How banal and vapid!
Yeah.

http://www.maniacworld.com/squirrel-vs-penguin.jpg

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tigzy wrote:
Gefan wrote:

There are a bunch of good points there and....

...wait, I can't have read that right.

Setar?

[Reads it again]

Really.

Setar?

Link? This may well be the holy grail of lulz. I am willing to pay if necessary.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

sacha wrote:
agarybuseychristmas wrote:
sacha wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
sacha wrote:

yes, I am well aware of that, it's Mykeru after all, I went off on the thought of it, not in response to Mykeru. I should have clarified.

Oh, I see, so what you are saying is you don't need me for this conversation. However, may I suggest you keep a man handy to close your tags for you?

cunt

Post by cunt »

Needs more Stanhope. On the one hand this is a pretty funny argument against slut-shaming and the patriarchy. On the other, baww, he's so mean about it.

[youtube]h_e9sookQYY[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Gefan wrote: There are a bunch of good points there and....

...wait, I can't have read that right.

Setar?

[Reads it again]

Really.

Setar?

Link? This may well be the holy grail of lulz. I am willing to pay if necessary.
Yes. Yes, apparently so: http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 680#p84680

Then again, as free thoughtpolice pointed out, this is Eucliwood we're talking about here, so it could indeed have just been a trolling excursion.

sacha

Post by sacha »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:
This guy is a member of an extended family of seven. He gets driven off by another crow when he gets "too close" to me.
DSCF0383-640x640.jpg
my relatives and I are not only exceptionally intelligent, but gorgeous as well

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

justinvacula wrote:I'm getting a good deal of coverage and attention concerning my recent atheist activism in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania - working with the FFRF and hanging a banner reading "Nothing Fails Like Prayer" which is a response to a recent event commemorating the National Day of Prayer in the same location.
I wonder if Joe McDonald will show up... by the way, what was the final outcome of that incident?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

'dark-triad' hmmm. You guys interested in the the "Dark Enlightenment"?

The usual suspects:

The Futurists:
Nick Land
Michael Anissimov
Rachel Haywire
More Right

The Scientists:
hbd chick
Steve Sailer
Dennis Mangan
Razib Khan
West Hunters (Cochran and Harpending)

The Formalists:
Mencius Moldbug
Foseti
James Donald

The Carlyle Club is pleased to present the first-ever guide to neoreaction’s heroic personalities.
https://radishmag.wordpress.com/2013/05 ... ghtenment/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -liked-it/

Ophelia has another of these "it's all about me!" posts where someone somewhere has something terrible happen to them, so that's just like people criticizing her. Or something.
Christine Walkinshaw is a comic. She did a gig at a casino. Ten drunk guys at one table shouted “show us your tits!” and then “show us your bush!” She finished her act in spite of them and without engaging them.
Is that harassment?
I would say yes, and that it's the fault of the club management for not sending the security in to deal with the issue.

She complained to the manager - a woman - and was told "I thought you liked it".
Interestingly enough, while the female manager ignored her problem, the male headliner seemed to have tried to sort out the table of drunk heckling arseholes.
Later on the club decided to cancel a future booking of hers.

Ophelia finishes with
Her fault, you see.
To me this reads as someone who has got a job with a very badly managed club (the sex of the manager doesn't factor into it for me.)

Ophelia clearly thinks its a case of harrassment similar to how she views her own situation.

Naturally enough the Candiru's partner, Aratina, chimes in with a helpful comment to bolster Ophelia's paranoia.
Aratina Cage

May 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm (UTC -7)

While reading that I kept thinking of how the, you know, non-bullies at the slimepit would characterize it as “not harassment”: She is a public figure, after all. And it was just words. No one actually assaulted her or followed her home. You have to expect that kind of back talk from sexist pigs when you do stuff like a comedy gig at a casino. Men being men. Pshaw! She could have ripped them a new one instead of taking offense at it like she did. If she hadn’t whined about it, she’d still have her job.

“Hurassmunt? Wuts thyat?”

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -liked-it/

Ophelia has another of these "it's all about me!" posts where someone somewhere has something terrible happen to them, so that's just like people criticizing her. Or something.
[/quote]

A comment from there:
kevinkirkpatrick
May 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment
MRA hat on: “If she can’t handle the rough crowds (i.e., like a man), she shouldn’t be walking up in front of them. I certainly wouldn’t start crying just because someone yelled at me to show my penis. Her emotional reaction is why stand-up comedy is just more of a guy thing.”

Sadly, I don’t even think that’s parody. I think this exact quote, verbatim, would fit in quite neatly in any given MRA discussion forum, to rounds of resounding affirmation.
What a fool. Comedians ought to learn how to -- and often do -- deal with hecklers. It's part of being a fucking comic. Again, this doesn't mean the heckling is appropriate, but rather is simply saying that it is part of the business...just like how dealing with trolls/backlash is part of being popular on the internet. Ophelia and Rebecca are not special snowflakes.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

justinvacula wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... -liked-it/

A comment from there:
kevinkirkpatrick
May 26, 2013 at 1:32 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment
MRA hat on: “If she can’t handle the rough crowds (i.e., like a man), she shouldn’t be walking up in front of them. I certainly wouldn’t start crying just because someone yelled at me to show my penis. Her emotional reaction is why stand-up comedy is just more of a guy thing.”

Sadly, I don’t even think that’s parody. I think this exact quote, verbatim, would fit in quite neatly in any given MRA discussion forum, to rounds of resounding affirmation.
What a fool. Comedians ought to learn how to -- and often do -- deal with hecklers. It's part of being a fucking comic. Again, this doesn't mean the heckling is appropriate, but rather is simply saying that it is part of the business...just like how dealing with trolls/backlash is part of being popular on the internet. Ophelia and Rebecca are not special snowflakes.[/quote]

Well there's heckling and there is abuse.
You wouldn't expect a black comedian to have to put up with a group of men calling him "nigger" through his set, and I think the fact that the headliner comedian was apparently furious that the club's management had not acted indicates that it was not a simple case of her failing to deal with normal heckling.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

PZ Myers is Charles Coughlin of Atheism+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Coughlin
Father Charles Edward Coughlin (October 25, 1891 – October 27, 1979) was a controversial Roman Catholic priest at Royal Oak, Michigan's National Shrine of the Little Flower church. He was one of the first political leaders to use radio to reach a mass audience, as possibly thirty million listeners tuned to his weekly broadcasts during the 1930s.[1][2]

Early in his career Coughlin was a vocal supporter of Franklin D. Roosevelt and his early New Deal proposals, before later becoming a harsh critic of Roosevelt as too friendly to bankers.[3] In 1934 he announced a new political organization called the National Union for Social Justice. He wrote a platform calling for monetary reforms, the nationalization of major industries and railroads, and protection of the rights of labor. The membership ran into the millions, resembling the Populist movement of the 1890s.[4]

After hinting at attacks on Jewish bankers, Coughlin began to use his radio program to issue antisemitic commentary, and later to support at least some of the policies of Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini.[5] The broadcasts have been called "a variation of the Fascist agenda applied to American culture".[6] His chief topics were political and economic rather than religious, with his slogan being Social Justice, first with, and later against, the New Deal. Many American bishops as well as the Vatican wanted him silenced,[citation needed] but it was the Roosevelt administration that finally forced the cancellation of his radio program and forbade the dissemination through the post of his newspaper, Social Justice.[7]
http://i.imgur.com/0yA1h60.jpg

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh dear. So a comedian on stage was the subjected of some truly piss-poor heckling, and it was bad because...sexist.

Like a male comedian, such as Joe Rogan, would never be the recipient of some piss-poor sexist heckling from a female member of the audience, right?

Right?

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-most ... troyed_p2/
#3. Joe Rogan and the Penguin Girls

Nobody shuts down a heckler with more brutality than Joe Rogan. And don't give me that shit about George Carlin or Bill Hicks. They were good with focused anger, and I'm a fan of both men. But Rogan is a goddamn insult artisan.

This was another case of the table of drunk, pretty girls interrupting the act by responding loudly to everything he was saying. He was attempting to make fun of some movie about penguins, when one girl started yelling, "Awwww, I love penguins!" He starts off by making fun of their voices, but she gets pissed off pretty fast and her drunken mind convinces her "Yell out 'You don't have a girlfriend.' That'll get him. You aren't stupid at all. People love you." She obeys her brain's think-words, and Rogan finally just gives in and confronts her:

"See, this is where you're confused because I'm not your fucking boyfriend. I don't have to put up with your stupid shit." She repeats that she doesn't believe he has a girlfriend, and he levels her: "Why don't you believe that? Is it because you're dumb? Or is it because you're trying to be mean to me? You're saying, 'No girl would want you' -- check this out, how many girls would want to fuck me right now?" The crowd goes apeshit. But again, she's not done. She makes a joke about him having a small dick, to which he replies, "I'll wrap my dick around your neck and start you up like a fucking lawnmower." And then a conversation finishing move so brutal, Mortal Kombat couldn't display it without changing its ESRB rating:

"Don't get confused on your place in the big picture. I'm not saying I'm anything special, but guess what, fuckface, you're not either -- we're all humans. Just because you're pretty? You're pretty now, but you're only like, what, 24? But talk to me when you're 44, and you're desperate and drunk, sitting behind the nickel slot machine. [Crowd applauds over his voice here] ... just hoping to get fingered, and you can suck his dick and maybe go home and feel 'somewhat worthy' because he got 'semi hard.'"

I've watched that video probably a hundred times, and I swear my speakers permanently smell like sex now.
Of course, what Rogan did there was actually deal with the heckling, rather then ignore it. Probably not so much cuz he's a guy, and sexism ain't so bad for guys, but because he's probably well aware that if you want to make a half-decent career in stand-up, then it's best to get a good reputation for seeing off hecklers. Cos otherwise, you just end up as easy meat for the audience. Unfortunate, but that's part of the job. If you're afraid of heights, don't take a job as a high-rise window cleaner.

And besides - don't the FTB mob keep on saying that you shouldn't ignore the trolls? By their book, Christine Walkinshaw made a bit of a booboo there.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

What the fuck has Benson in terms of expertise with regard to stand-up comedy? She told a joke on stage once?

Post by Guest »

Ophelia's strawman is dispicible.

Did Ron Lindsey or any of the other people they have label misogynists do anything like that to anyone-- ever?

Her strawman suggests otherwise... and it suggests the slymepit is full of such people. It's time for freethoughtblogs to finalize it's divoce from skepticism

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:What the fuck has Benson in terms of expertise with regard to stand-up comedy? She told a joke on stage once?
I don't understand. Isn't she a professional comedian?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Well there's heckling and there is abuse.
You wouldn't expect a black comedian to have to put up with a group of men calling him "nigger" through his set, and I think the fact that the headliner comedian was apparently furious that the club's management had not acted indicates that it was not a simple case of her failing to deal with normal heckling.
Point taken. However, in this instance, I wouldn't go so far as to call it abuse (which does happen at comedy gigs, at his article illustrates: http://www.ihollaback.org/blog/2011/05/ ... comedians/) - but it was dickish, and certainly the kind of thing that any prospective comedian needs to get a handle on.

This is not to say I'm a fan of heckling - just in case I gave that impression. In the context of the profession, however, it's just one of those things you have to accept that you are going to have to deal with. Having done shop work in the past, I can attest that however much I disliked having to deal with customers who hadn't brushed their teeth, taken a bath, who were rude and stupid; who felt that store clerks were there to agree with their obnoxious views on politics, immigrants and foreigners; who felt like they were about to puke and thought the best thing to do was go shopping (same with having an attack of the shits - oh, that was nasty); however disagreeable these things were and however much I wished it could be otherwise, I just had to accept that my vision of a utopian shop-work experience amounted to the square root of sweet FA, and just knuckle down and get on with it.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Oh, and I got sexually harassed by a mentally disturbed woman, too.

You don't have to be mentally disturbed to want to sexually harass me, but it helps.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I've never experienced it myself, but a friend's band 'Spheric Universe Experience) opend for Scorpion a few years ago. They were welcomed with many objects flying at them while playing. What did they do? They kept playing.

The show must go on, as they say.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Psst. Pass it on

I want misogyny!

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I've never experienced it myself, but a friend's band 'Spheric Universe Experience) opend for Scorpion a few years ago. They were welcomed with many objects flying at them while playing. What did they do? They kept playing.

That's bad.

They should have saved all the missiles for Scorpion.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

via @Elevatorgate

Amanda Macrotte appearance on radio/podcast interview:

Amanda Marcotte laments perceived “mansplaining” by RALindsay, as her mangina calls him “jerk” and “moron”

http://elevatorgate.wordpress.com/2013/ ... um=twitter

LMU

Post by LMU »

Skeeve wrote:Psst. Pass it on

I want misogyny!
You may wish to define what you mean by misogyny. "Hatred or distrust of women," for example. Some people do think and will say that disagreement on certain principles is misogyny (though they might not present it as such).

LMU

Post by LMU »

Tigzy wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I've never experienced it myself, but a friend's band 'Spheric Universe Experience) opend for Scorpion a few years ago. They were welcomed with many objects flying at them while playing. What did they do? They kept playing.

That's bad.

I don't really understand hecklers. Are they always drunk? Why would you go to a performance if you didn't want to see the performers do their thing? I could maybe understand heckling if you were disappointed (and drunk), but why start with the heckling (or throwing things?!) right from the get go?

cunt

Post by cunt »

I don't really understand hecklers. Are they always drunk?
Yes.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Ouch. PZ on Russell Blackford:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

LMU wrote:
Tigzy wrote:

That's bad.

I don't really understand hecklers. Are they always drunk? Why would you go to a performance if you didn't want to see the performers do their thing? I could maybe understand heckling if you were disappointed (and drunk), but why start with the heckling (or throwing things?!) right from the get go?
Lots of people go to a show for the main act and don't really care about backliners (opening bands/performers). They could just skip the opening act and go have a beer, but since people are arsehole-coated arsholes, they seem to feel the need to go and fuck the experience for everyone else.

I don't really like these people. They ruined what was supposed to be one of my favorite concerts (Opeth + Pain of Salvation in Montpellier) and even had Ali and I leave the venue before the end of the show. Most of those fuckers were students in their 20s (I see a patern forming, hi Myers commentariat!). It was a fucking nightmare being there trying to enjoy the music.

Apples

physiopricke made me do it

Post by Apples »

Comrade Physiodouche continues to make FTB proud - he has copied-and-pasted the 20th chapter of Moby Dick (attracting a total of 1 comment other than his own) - only 115 chapters to go.

He also continues his groundbreaking and trenchant "Republican Filth Getting What They Want" series:
Republican Filth Getting What They Want: Bridge Collapses

Rich people don’t want to pay taxes, so “fracture critical” bridges can’t be upgraded.
Hmm... right. Blame the "filthy Republicans" when a state-owned bridge in Washington gets shredded by an oversized load, under a Democratic President in a state with a (D) Governor, two (D) Senators, a majority of (D) Reps, and a (D) State House. Also, the bridge was inspected twice and repaired in the past year, and "fracture critical" doesn't mean the bridge was flagged as crumbling or something - it means the bridge can fail if critical steel components are damaged. But who cares about the facts when you've got "Republican filth" on the brain?
Republican Filth Getting What They Want: Third-Graders Who Can Barely Read

Greedy rich motherfuckers love to retire to Florida, because it has no state income tax and is a fucken third-world country outside of its gated greedy rich motherfucker communities. And its third-graders can barely fucken read.
Florida is a nutty place, but it's a "fucken third-world country outside of its gated greedy rich motherfucker communities?" Citation needed. Anyway, the link he provides for his point is a Miami Herald article talking about a dramatic rise in writing test-scores among 4th graders. He is saying third-graders can "barely fucken read" because the article discusses FCAT results showing that only around 57% of 3rd-graders are reading "at or above grade level." Of course, the FCAT is tougher than the Federal standards, where around 70% Florida students score at or above grade-level.

But given the scorn he is heaping on Florida, the relevant metric would be state comparisons. Hmmm ... according to Education Week's well-regarding rankings, Florida had the 8th best public education system in the US in 2010, and according to the Dept. of Education its 4th grade readers are 13th best in the country -- better than places that spend much, much more per pupil, such as *ahem* New York (20th best) and DC (the worst in the country, despite spending nearly twice as much per capita as Florida). Summary - fuck you, Comrade Physioproffe - you are a full of shit lying douchebag.

http://www.floridatoday.com/content/blo ... n-us.shtml
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/st ... in%2c0%2c0
Republican Filth Getting What They Want: Dumfucke Rednecks Shooting Shotguns At Each Other Over Traffic Disputes

These fucken dumshitte rednecks all driving around with motherfucken firearms in their piece of shitte beater cars is totally fucken awesome! FREEDUMM!!!!!!
Charming. I'm particularly impressed by his talking about "dumfucke rednecks" and their "piece of shitte beater cars." Fucking snotbag. Pay no attention to the fact that that Democrats were instrumental in killing the latest gun control legislation, that essentially no gun control advocates talk about restricting access to shotguns, and that the actual demographics of gun violence in this country utterly destroy the point he is trying to make.
Republican Filth Getting What They Want: Massive Floods That Drown People

Global warming is a lieberal myth! FREEDUMMMM!!!!!!
Without getting into the weeds of the details of climate science, I'll simply point out that weather is not climate and that this is San Antonio, smackdab in the middle of "Flash-Flood Alley" in Texas (severe flooding in San Antonio led to the moving of the original Alamo in 1724, and historic flooding occurred in 1819, 1865, 1880, 1899, 1913, 1921, and 1946). Texas, especially cities on the Balcones Escarpment, is (and has been for all of American history) a world record holder in suffering acute storms -- massive rainfall from slow-moving weather systems, due to its unique climatic and geographic factors -- and it would continue be the US capital of flash-flood deaths even if CO2 permanently fell to 300 PPM tomorrow.

http://www.sanantonioriver.org/river_hi ... istory.php
http://floodsafety.com/media/interactiv ... /index.htm
http://therivardreport.com/amid-cycles- ... lood-alley
Republican Filth Getting What They Want: Train Crashes Taking Out Highway Bridges

Greedy right-wing scum don’t want to pay taxes, this kind of shitte is gonna become more and more frequent.
It is? "Greedy right-wing scum" are causing an increasing number of train collisions at highway overpasses? :think: Um.... no.

I'll close this tl;dr with his response to a commenter who accidentally posted on his blog instead of Zingularity -- after that commenter had already apologized for the mistake:
Comrade Physioproffe wrote:So you’ve deleted your original incorrect post on the subject, and replaced it with a new, pretty much equally incorrect one? Classy.

What the fucken fucke are you sniveling about, you pathetic shitteheel? I haven’t deleted any posts at all. And speaking of class, what kind of sadde ineffectual sleazy fuckebagge lurks around a blogge whining incessantly about the blogge content? Have you no dignity?
Dignity. Yep - that's the first word that comes to mind when I think of the uber-fuckface elitist fratboy incompetent pissant FTB "blogger" known as Comrade Physioproffe.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/physioprof/ ... /#comments
http://www.freezepage.com/1369605698QQDDZXHXIN

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

cunt wrote:
I don't really understand hecklers. Are they always drunk?
Yes.
No.