Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
ElenaG

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by ElenaG »

(Sorry for this absolutely off topic post)

Abbie: Your thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/28/health/fr ... homepage-t

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Skeeve wrote:4min into it, bovarchist. So at least two views. :)
Huh. I had to go boot up a windows box to get it to work.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ReneeHendricks wrote:This was brought up the other day and I wasn't at my desktop. So, here you go...
8_Seconds_Of_Terror.png
Your - daughter, was it? - did a great job on that.

Oddly enough I just finished my own take on the "coffee cup in an elevator" theme. Perhaps I was subconsciously influenced by my memory of your daughter's work *cue Twilight Zone music*

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... a3cd72.png

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

welch wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:[...]Besides which, documentation of any such harassment attempt could, at this point, only turn more people against them.
well, it's not like they have a history of stalking people and harassing their employers...oops. Never mind.
At this point I would be more amazed that only three weeks ago, PZ Myers, Benson and Zvan combined had a major outrage about the (not) doxxing of Jen McCreight's position by Justicar. Three weeks later, concern about the security of a women they are about to expose seems to be no issue anymore. I can't remember of any instance where their hypocrisy was more blatantly apparent than this. Then take into account what Skep Tickle actually has done. She objected to Benson in a comment.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Gumby wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:This was brought up the other day and I wasn't at my desktop. So, here you go...
8_Seconds_Of_Terror.png
Your - daughter, was it? - did a great job on that.

Oddly enough I just finished my own take on the "coffee cup in an elevator" theme. Perhaps I was subconsciously influenced by my memory of your daughter's work *cue Twilight Zone music*

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... a3cd72.png
Yes, that's Middle Gal's work :) Love yours!

welch

Post by welch »

Aneris wrote:
welch wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:[...]Besides which, documentation of any such harassment attempt could, at this point, only turn more people against them.
well, it's not like they have a history of stalking people and harassing their employers...oops. Never mind.
At this point I would be more amazed that only three weeks ago, PZ Myers, Benson and Zvan combined had a major outrage about the (not) doxxing of Jen McCreight's position by Justicar. Three weeks later, concern about the security of a women they are about to expose seems to be no issue anymore. I can't remember of any instance where their hypocrisy was more blatantly apparent than this. Then take into account what Skep Tickle actually has done. She objected to Benson in a comment.
She also posts on the slymepit, so she's an SP. Fair Game time.

Post by Guest »

Steersman wrote:
Tigzy wrote:@Steersman

Have you just joined twitter?

You know about the character limit, right?
:-)

I have, indeed. Bit of a challenge to say the least. Although I saw something on Ophelia's blog the other day about something that Lousy Canuck had supposedly done to get around that but I couldn't see that her example gave much evidence of that.
you can always use a client with built in twitlonger

welch

Post by welch »

Guest wrote:
Steersman wrote:

I have, indeed. Bit of a challenge to say the least. Although I saw something on Ophelia's blog the other day about something that Lousy Canuck had supposedly done to get around that but I couldn't see that her example gave much evidence of that.
Or just spread across multiple tweets.

sacha

Post by sacha »

mikelf wrote: As for me and my money? I can think of better places to send it.

thank you. the dogs and I greatly appreciate it

Post by Guest »

welch wrote:
Guest wrote:
Steersman wrote:

Or just spread across multiple tweets.
yeah but steersman would need to split between a good 30-40 that way :P

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

...She actually has a fucking trigger warning:
TRIGGER WARNING: This video contains a handful of graphic scenes involving violence against women. Parents should preview the video first before sharing with young children.

Listen, Anita. Just today I played the new game Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Yes, the "hero" is a man (although the running joke is he exaggerates his exploits as we're playing the stories he recollects) and the only woman in the game appears to be (I haven't played it all the way through yet) a buxom waitress named Molly, but do you care to guess who the flunkies are? You know, the ones being murdered by the hundreds, and again if you happen to fail and need to start over?

Do you care to guess who have been the flunkies in most first person shooters for the past, oh, 20 years? Take a wild, long, fucking guess. While you're at it, imagine the pain these flunkies must have felt while they're torn apart by axes, pickaxes, chainsaws; their flesh burnt to a crisp with flamethrowers; their bodies shorn and their heads blown clean off by sawed-off shotguns and sometimes slowly eviscerated by plasma weapons. Imagine the horror they must feel as they just wait around for the dawning "hero" (which isn't always a man) to get minced, the sheer terror of standing in the dark while an arrow unbeknowst to them pierces their bodies (or their knees). And then ask yourself, really ask yourself, Anita: aren't you being just a little bit ridiculous?

Newsflash: it's bunches of code. Those "women" are about as real as the tooth fairy. It's code only structured to resemble the appearance of one. However, the code most used for those being callously murdered by the hundreds (or thousands), the flunkies, is code structured to resemble the appearance of a man - and that's the point. The point you are spectacularly missing.

And before you ask, no, I don't consider this a men's rights issue. Games needs cannon fodder. It's just that in your effort to analyse sexism in videogames, you have continuously managed to miss the mark every single time that it's been impossible not to notice - and this was a particularly noticeable mark. You actually went and provided a TRIGGER WARNING for "violence against women" in videogames. Holy fucking shit. That's the straw that breaks the camel's back. Please remove your excessive make-up, shitty camera-work, and speaking into the obvious teleprompter like a fucking robot and shut the fuck up. For the good of humankind and gamers everywhere.

franc

Post by franc »

Trophy wrote:You guys have officially broken Franc. Now it's going to take months to put the hinges back in place.
Yeah. Like your armchair selectively edited snark is something new. You could even teach the talking prune a few tricks. But probably not.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

8_Seconds_Of_Terror.png
Yeh-es!

Thanks, Renee (and your Middle Gal)! And I'll go ahead and steal some hugs for you and your guy (and your late Dozer)!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest - ok, I had to stop watching that vid within the first 2 minutes. Her eyebrows are kinda freaking me out. Who told her that was a good look????

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:...She actually has a fucking trigger warning:
TRIGGER WARNING: This video contains a handful of graphic scenes involving violence against women. Parents should preview the video first before sharing with young children.

Listen, Anita. Just today I played the new game Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Yes, the "hero" is a man (although the running joke is he exaggerates his exploits as we're playing the stories he recollects) and the only woman in the game appears to be (I haven't played it all the way through yet) a buxom waitress named Molly, but do you care to guess who the flunkies are? You know, the ones being murdered by the hundreds, and again if you happen to fail and need to start over?

Do you care to guess who have been the flunkies in most first person shooters for the past, oh, 20 years? Take a wild, long, fucking guess. While you're at it, imagine the pain these flunkies must have felt while they're torn apart by axes, pickaxes, chainsaws; their flesh burnt to a crisp with flamethrowers; their bodies shorn and their heads blown clean off by sawed-off shotguns and sometimes slowly eviscerated by plasma weapons. Imagine the horror they must feel as they just wait around for the dawning "hero" (which isn't always a man) to get minced, the sheer terror of standing in the dark while an arrow unbeknowst to them pierces their bodies (or their knees). And then ask yourself, really ask yourself, Anita: aren't you being just a little bit ridiculous?

Newsflash: it's bunches of code. Those "women" are about as real as the tooth fairy. It's code only structured to resemble the appearance of one. However, the code most used for those being callously murdered by the hundreds (or thousands), the flunkies, is code structured to resemble the appearance of a man - and that's the point. The point you are spectacularly missing.

And before you ask, no, I don't consider this a men's rights issue. Games needs cannon fodder. It's just that in your effort to analyse sexism in videogames, you have continuously managed to miss the mark every single time that it's been impossible not to notice - and this was a particularly noticeable mark. You actually went and provided a TRIGGER WARNING for "violence against women" in videogames. Holy fucking shit. That's the straw that breaks the camel's back. Please remove your excessive make-up, shitty camera-work, and speaking into the obvious teleprompter like a fucking robot and shut the fuck up. For the good of humankind and gamers everywhere.

Is this just as shittily researched and edited as her first one?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Pitchguest wrote:
8_Seconds_Of_Terror.png
Yeh-es!

Thanks, Renee (and your Middle Gal)! And I'll go ahead and steal some hugs for you and your guy (and your late Dozer)!
You bet and thank you :)

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

welch wrote:

It might even be a little worse: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=266&p=93976#p93976

I can't speak to the editing, but the research is really bland - most of the content is just example after example, with little to no substantive commentary.

welch

Post by welch »

Metalogic42 wrote:
welch wrote:

I can't speak to the editing, but the research is really bland - most of the content is just example after example, with little to no substantive commentary.
Peezus christ, USA Today is not the model for actual research.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

franc wrote:
Trophy wrote:You guys have officially broken Franc. Now it's going to take months to put the hinges back in place.
Yeah. Like your armchair selectively edited snark is something new. You could even teach the talking prune a few tricks. But probably not.
Oh fuck off. That was a hilarious comment from Trophy.

I'm not sure there's more than a cigarette paper between you and Opheliar at the moment, Franc: both of you twisting and biting like a feral cat in a cage. Take a walk, smoke some weed, just do something to calm yourself and get back your rifled anger, instead of this shotgun shit.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Southern wrote:This became a full-fledged:
Image.jpg
:popcorn:
What edition is that? First time I ever saw a multicoloured Magic card (frame background, I mean). I used to have a quite efficient red/white deck. Lost it when i moved to my new place :cry:
It's Gatecrash, one of the latest, I think. I don't play the "Kitchen Crack" anymore, too expensive and too time consuming, but it was what popped from Youtube when I was searching for "Pit Fighter" (the SNES/Genesis port of the arcade, both suckass games that scream "fail" all over it.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Mykeru wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Kudos, Ophelia and Stephanie. You are truly bravada heroines, experts at scaring people - particularly those oh-so valuable women, it seems - out of the atheist movement.
You know, what surprises even me is that Ophelia is even more hostile in her one-on-one correspondence. I can imagine someone playing to the crowd and perhaps then being a little more conciliatory when dealing with a person as a person. Not Ophelia though.

First, for whatever psychological reason its clear she has what she wants to do in mind, it's just a question of what thin rationalization she can come up with to do it. The important thing to her seems to be to be angry, to punish people for slights real and imagined, almost to revenge herself on people.

You give her perfectly good reasons for having a Nym, the same reason everyone has, and Ophelia, instead of actually understanding a thing you say to her goes with her personal motto "I call bullshit".

That's right, Ophelia. Everyone is bullshitting but you. People don't have reasons, they have bullshit. And the purpose of people's bullshit is to derail you from doing what you desperately want to do to bring harm to people. People don't want you to do harm to them, the selfish bastards.

She's a twisted, bitter old bitch. She's also obviously mental. And I don't give a shit. Whatever psycopatholgy this woman has its somewhere in the Dark Triad of Narcissism to Anti-Social. Having dealt with a Borderline Personality myself I wouldn't be surprised if Ophelia Benson is the BPD end-game, the rage of the manipulator when they have nothing left to manipulate with. She's mean and destructive and wraps herself in the mantle of victimhood to do harm to others. I have no sympathy for her. None.

*Sigh* I did that long video and some follow up when Ophelia Benson couldn't understand the concept of cutting her losses. Then I backed off because I didn't want people to think I was obsessed with any of them and picking on poor, scared and befuddled Ophelia. Yet once again this nasty piece of work, perhaps subconsciously deciding its better to be vilified than ignored, is about to make herself my pet project again.

Fuck her.
That video, and not Snakeesian borefest about whatever she's talking about now should get a $120,000 funding.

Of course, me being a cheap-ass, none of that would be mine dollas.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Metalogic42 wrote:
welch wrote:

The best research $120,000 can pay, I would like to remind you.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Gumby wrote::clap:
I bow before the mighty Gefan.

:bow-blue:
"What the fuck else were they going to do? Get a real job?"

"But mein Fuhrer - struggling for social justice IS a real job!"

:lol:
That's world-class harassment, that is.

Which charity, Gefan?
thank you Gefan, and Lsuoma

Thank you, Dear Leader. I am honored.

Sacha has a charity, related to elderly dogs I believe. That would be great.

Southern

Post by Southern »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
franc wrote:

I'm not sure there's more than a cigarette paper between you and Opheliar at the moment, Franc: both of you twisting and biting like a feral cat in a cage. Take a walk, smoke some weed, just do something to calm yourself and get back your rifled anger, instead of this shotgun shit.
So... more evidence that Franc is Ophelia's sockpuppet, then?

EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW!

sacha

Post by sacha »

sacha wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Gumby wrote::clap:
I bow before the mighty Gefan.

:bow-blue:
"What the fuck else were they going to do? Get a real job?"

"But mein Fuhrer - struggling for social justice IS a real job!"

:lol:
That's world-class harassment, that is.

Which charity, Gefan?
Thank you, Dear Leader. I am honored.

Sacha has a charity, related to elderly dogs I believe. That would be great.

thank you Gefan, and Lsuoma
woof

franc

Post by franc »

franc wrote:

Thanks. I'll just jerk off to scat porn. That coheres with the narrative.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Wow. Okay. Anita Sarkeesian just claimed in the video (around 22:55 mark) that the games in which "men" (code) in games that set out on a quest to save or are otherwise forced to kill their loved ones (in this case, "women"

Code: Select all

) is, quote, "... about the perceived loss of masculinity and then the quest to regain that masculinity, primarily by exerting dominance and control through the performance of violence on others ..."

Apparently in the world Anita occupies, there is no nuance to characters, just everything in black and white. "Masculinity" is "exerting dominance and control through the performance of violence on others", and not desperately attempting to save who they love. There is a game she showcases in her examples -- Prey. I've played Prey, I know the story behind it. For those who haven't, I'll just give the synopsis: the protagonist, Tommy, a Native American, wants to leave the town he lives in to go live in the big city. His girlfriend and [b]his grandfather[/b] says no and in the midst of their argument, an alien race abducts them. Then Tommy, who is also held captive, is set free by chance and then sets out to free his girlfriend AND his grandfather. So right in the synopsis, there's nuance conspicuously lacking from Anita's $160,000 worth of research.

There are a bunch of games she mentions that I haven't played, however just like with Prey I'm sure (though not completely sure) there is some kind of nuance to the characters that completely turns her narrative on its head.

franc

Post by franc »

Southern wrote:
franc wrote:

So... more evidence that Franc is Ophelia's sockpuppet, then?

EVERYTHING MAKES SENSE NOW!
Fuck. You've ruined everything.

franc

Post by franc »

The slymepit narrative -

* AVFM is a hate site
* @elevatorgate is a jerk
* i-anything is the holy grail

Repeat thrice a day.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

franc wrote:The slymepit narrative -

* AVFM is a hate site

Repeat thrice a day.
Fuck me! We have a narrative???

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Pitchguest wrote:Wow. Okay. Anita Sarkeesian just claimed in the video (around 22:55 mark) that the games in which "men" (code) in games that set out on a quest to save or are otherwise forced to kill their loved ones (in this case, "women"

) is, quote, "... about the perceived loss of masculinity and then the quest to regain that masculinity, primarily by exerting dominance and control through the performance of violence on others ..."
There are a bunch of games she mentions that I haven't played, however just like with Prey I'm sure (though not completely sure) there is some kind of nuance to the characters that completely turns her narrative on its head.[/quote]

In other news;

[tweet]https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/339493333929959426[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/339506260867170304[/tweet]

welch

Post by welch »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:

* AVFM is a hate site

Repeat thrice a day.
It's just franc being a techno-hipster luddite. Let grampy ramble on, he'll nod off soon enough.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Aneris wrote:Wait a minute. Wasn't there an issue with doxxing just recently? Yeah right. Mykeru, for your video. You should add a nice juxtaposition combining Ophelia Benson's latest (and Zvan's comment) with these.

A quick background info. Jen McCreigh tweeted an image containing possible info about her location. Justicar in usual manner mocked her, but also indicated that it was a bad idea, considering that she claims to be threatened. While his video pointed to the tweet (and image), it itself did not contain any problematic info on Jen as he redacted it and said he'd delete the video when she deletes the tweet (which she and he eventually did).

But the whole action did not go by without plenty of high ocatane dramatology of our favourite bloggers. Pay attention to the comment sections also, how over the top they paint Justicar's intentions. Now contrast this with Skep Tickle just now (there are additional issues, for example they claim the Slymepit had anything to do with it, even though Justicar doesn't post here, much less didn't discuss his video-making plans here).
As a bonus point. They are all very recent (this month).
Errr.... 'lil' help here... did PZ make a comparison between Jen McCreight's situation and Salman Rushdie's?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

FrankGrimes wrote:
Aneris wrote:Wait a minute. Wasn't there an issue with doxxing just recently? Yeah right. Mykeru, for your video. You should add a nice juxtaposition combining Ophelia Benson's latest (and Zvan's comment) with these.

A quick background info. Jen McCreigh tweeted an image containing possible info about her location. Justicar in usual manner mocked her, but also indicated that it was a bad idea, considering that she claims to be threatened. While his video pointed to the tweet (and image), it itself did not contain any problematic info on Jen as he redacted it and said he'd delete the video when she deletes the tweet (which she and he eventually did).

But the whole action did not go by without plenty of high ocatane dramatology of our favourite bloggers. Pay attention to the comment sections also, how over the top they paint Justicar's intentions. Now contrast this with Skep Tickle just now (there are additional issues, for example they claim the Slymepit had anything to do with it, even though Justicar doesn't post here, much less didn't discuss his video-making plans here).
As a bonus point. They are all very recent (this month).
Errr.... 'lil' help here... did PZ make a comparison between Jen McCreight's situation and Salman Rushdie's?
Impossible. Salman Rushdie's dad wouldn't threaten to punch people in the face.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

* AVFM is a hate site

Repeat thrice a day.
No way! Is part of your fight about Apple vs others? Have you sunk to this? Are you twisting and biting at your cage to fight long-forgotten battles about preferred versions of consumer goods? Franc is a Kim Kardashian sockpuppet, AICMFP. That's really fucking...

...sad.

franc

Post by franc »

welch wrote:
DeepInsideYourMind wrote:

* AVFM is a hate site

Repeat thrice a day.
It's just franc being a techno-hipster luddite. Let grampy ramble on, he'll nod off soon enough.
Hipster is dismissive cluelessness. Techno-luddite would actually be accurate. I use the tech I need, not what I'm told I need. I use unhip junk. Garbage you would wrinkle your nose at because it would be ugly in a cafe. But it works.

Aside: "hipster" and "grampy" in one comment. Consistency implodes.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:Wow. Okay. Anita Sarkeesian just claimed in the video (around 22:55 mark) that the games in which "men" (code) in games that set out on a quest to save or are otherwise forced to kill their loved ones (in this case, "women"

There are a bunch of games she mentions that I haven't played, however just like with Prey I'm sure (though not completely sure) there is some kind of nuance to the characters that completely turns her narrative on its head.[/quote]

In other news;

[tweet]https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/339493333929959426[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/339506260867170304[/tweet][/quote]

D'aww, the poor, defenseless creature. It's good she got the video restored, though, as badly researched and incompetently presented it doesn't deserve to be flagged.

It's also amusing that her sycophants think any criticism against her is by MRA's and/or "misogynist neckbeards."

franc

Post by franc »

* AVFM is a hate site

Repeat thrice a day.
No way! Is part of your fight about Apple vs others? Have you sunk to this? Are you twisting and biting at your cage to fight long-forgotten battles about preferred versions of consumer goods? Franc is a Kim Kardashian sockpuppet, AICMFP. That's really fucking...

...sad.
Sad is the word. Just try and deviate. See what happens.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

franc wrote:

* AVFM is a hate site

Repeat thrice a day.

...sad.
Is this another

http://www.electronicaoasis.com/wp-cont ... 05/bom.jpg

franc

Post by franc »

KiwiInOz wrote:
franc wrote:

* AVFM is a hate site

Repeat thrice a day.

...sad.
Is this another

http://www.electronicaoasis.com/wp-cont ... 05/bom.jpg
Bingo. Some topics are like wiping your ass with the qur'an. "Freethinkers". Indeed.

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

Anita's new video was a bit of a bore. She added a lot of games, expanding is good, but it was at the cost of commentary. One thing was that men have lost their masculinity or feel guilty because their loved one dies, so they go out for revenge. They have to be "repaid" for losing their precious object/woman. She wants developers to explore alternate grieving processes, and lists off three games that do this. The problem with this is that most gamers aren't in to that kind of game, they want action, a challenge, pewpew!

Dear Esther is basically Myst without any puzzles.
Passage I've never played but from what I've seen video wise it's a minimal graphic sidescroll maze.
To The Moon is really good, but it's a story game that tugs on your feefees. No too much excitement beyond that.

Game devs know their target audience, a lot of plots in games are exactly as was shown, just rehashing the same shit. Honestly, I think game devs could make the lead female and play out the same stories with a male in distress. The stories are bland enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm interested in her next installment as she's been teasing with that Elaine Marley picture since the first one. I'm sure it'll be a disappointment. Tomb Raider will likely appear on this next installment, but I already have a hunch how that will play out. Lara Croft is just pretending to be a man - SEXIST! What should Lara do? Lara can't lounge around in her house, cooking and keeping the house clean - SEXIST! Lara can just work a boring job - EXCITING VIDEO GAME!

A note to Pitchguest - you're absolutely correct the meatbags to slay are almost always male. In the new Tomb Raider I can't recall many if any females that are baddies.

Personal story time. I've been gaming since I was a young pup, mostly RPGs from the NES and beyond. The sexes of the characters never really mattered to me, they were always just people in a story. I've seen women die and men die, women possessed and men possessed, yadda yadda. I also remember being like the only little girl to be playing video games around my social circle, but I don't think my female friends would have picked up any games if they changed the hero from a male to a female. I lost my life in 1999 though, when I picked up Everquest, so I'm a bit weary on the details of newer console games :lol: Would changing it all around so that ladies were more prominent leads make it so women rush out to buy games? I still doubt it, even with newer games.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

franc wrote:It's common baboon bait. Works. Exposes the baboons here too.
I'VE BEEN FOUND OUT. ASSUME STANDARD DEFENSE!

But on a more serious note, once you have the bait out there, what do you really get in return? More views of your either finer points? To be honest with you, when you sling vicious insults, you pretty much lose your target's ability to look at what you have written in a rational way. Sure, you will get them talking about it from the other side of the fence more and pointing to the article. Flies to honey. It's the nectar that they crave. But more often that not, you tend to turn off the middle of the road audience. I guess that is part of why so many people are pissed with both you and elevator-gate. Both of you do great work, but going for the insults kind of ruins it, as it turns off the middle ground audience. If you were really crappy writers with poor logic, I don't think anyone would care.

Those are just my thoughts. Everyone has their own approach.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

FWIW, I was introduced to franc's blog the other day and to me it's a gold mine. I love it. The writing is fantastic and yes, there are some parts that make me raise an eyebrow or two but rather with a wry smile than a disproving shake of the head. I've learnt a lot reading the posts there.

Kudos franc.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Re: Anita's fabulously well produced new video, please pay attention to the TRIGGER WARNING and don't bother trying to comment.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

ReneeHendricks wrote:First - Ophelia Benson went from hypocritical asshat to full-blown slimy, revolting, doxxing slug in my book.

Second - my attitude may be affected by having to take my guy's dog into the vet to have her put to rest. The kicker? She had a massive tumor on the back of her tongue. Yeah. Cancer. Nearly in the same place as my guy. So, he's all ripped up about this. Having to see my guy cry is making my heart ache.

Third - Ophelia Benson is a fucking slug. Just thought that needed repeating.
So sorry, Renee.
Been through that. Watching my SO weep and being unable to do anything about it was an actual, physical, pain.

On the subject of Nanny, I have set aside some time today to provide her some of the attention she apparently craves.

Sleep tight, Oafie.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

"Violence against women is a serious global epidemic, therefore, attempts to address the issue in fictional contexts demands a considerable degree of respect, subtlety and nuance. Women shouldn’t be mere disposable objects or symbolic pawns in stories about men and their own struggles with patriarchal expectations and inadequacies."

:roll:

franc

Post by franc »

deLurch wrote:
I just hold up a mirror. Not my fault if you don't like what you see. There are dogmatic elements forming, and blasphemies you can't utter. Cases in point, my previous. You must recoil in horror from AVFM and you must treat elevatorgate with disdain.

Yes Pollyanna, you do have a coffee shop clique. Not the 'pit I used to know. Wistful '70s crap -

[youtube]gUZ5VgcMY88[/youtube]

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ReneeHendricks wrote:First - Ophelia Benson went from hypocritical asshat to full-blown slimy, revolting, doxxing slug in my book.

Second - my attitude may be affected by having to take my guy's dog into the vet to have her put to rest. The kicker? She had a massive tumor on the back of her tongue. Yeah. Cancer. Nearly in the same place as my guy. So, he's all ripped up about this. Having to see my guy cry is making my heart ache.

Third - Ophelia Benson is a fucking slug. Just thought that needed repeating.
Sorry to hear about your guy's dog. :(

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

franc wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I just hold up a mirror. Not my fault if you don't like what you see. There are dogmatic elements forming, and blasphemies you can't utter. Cases in point, my previous. You must recoil in horror from AVFM and you must treat elevatorgate with disdain.

Yes Pollyanna, you do have a coffee shop clique. Not the 'pit I used to know. Wistful '70s crap -

Bollocks. Sometimes your mirror might be facing the wrong way. (And who appointed you the mirror bearer anyway)

You can utter whatever blasphemies you like here. You might respectfully get told to fuck off by those who have a different perspective, and some may ask what you are hoping to achieve when you describe your sexual fantasies regarding Ophelia et al. Anyone is free to say OTT, and anyone else is free to say so fucking what.

AVFM - they have an agenda; sometimes their actions to achieve the agenda work, other times they backfire. IMO - not a hate site.
Elevatorgate - who?
i-stuff - meh. Tech is a tool for me, not an accessory. I did have an ipod once.

Anything else?

windy

Post by windy »

From the JREF A+ thread:
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost9239410
tsig wrote:
Originally Posted by Axiom_Blade
Which female bloggers were scared off by the slymepit? You claim to know, yet you seem to be avoiding this question.
I don't remember the names and the history on the blogs I was looking at don't go back far enough but I'm sure you'd just write them off as a bunch of whiny bitches who can't stand the heat.
skepticism!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Two of my very favorite video games were Silent Hill 3 and Parasite Eve 2. Both had strong female characters as the lead. I miss my Playstation.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

KiwiInOz wrote:
franc wrote:
deLurch wrote:

Bollocks. Sometimes your mirror might be facing the wrong way. (And who appointed you the mirror bearer anyway)

You can utter whatever blasphemies you like here. You might respectfully get told to fuck off by those who have a different perspective, and some may ask what you are hoping to achieve when you describe your sexual fantasies regarding Ophelia et al. Anyone is free to say OTT, and anyone else is free to say so fucking what.

AVFM - they have an agenda; sometimes their actions to achieve the agenda work, other times they backfire. IMO - not a hate site.
Elevatorgate - who?
i-stuff - meh. Tech is a tool for me, not an accessory. I did have an ipod once.

Anything else?
Yes. iopd's suck.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Question for Justin and Karla

Who is Kare Donovan talking about here:
At Women in Secularism last weekend, one speaker described young activists as annoying. Of course, being annoying get things done, she clarified, over the laughter of the room. But you have to grow up to have perspective, she continued, and went on with her message. From my perspective in the fourth row, watching two-thirds of the room agree that my demographic was annoying and nearsighted didn’t exactly have me leaping to volunteer my time.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/ashleymille ... -movement/

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Question for Justin and Karla

At Women in Secularism last weekend, one speaker described young activists as annoying. Of course, being annoying get things done, she clarified, over the laughter of the room. But you have to grow up to have perspective, she continued, and went on with her message. From my perspective in the fourth row, watching two-thirds of the room agree that my demographic was annoying and nearsighted didn’t exactly have me leaping to volunteer my time.
Ooops, who is KATE Donovan talking about.

franc

Post by franc »

FrankGrimes wrote:FWIW, I was introduced to franc's blog the other day and to me it's a gold mine. I love it. The writing is fantastic and yes, there are some parts that make me raise an eyebrow or two but rather with a wry smile than a disproving shake of the head. I've learnt a lot reading the posts there.

Kudos franc.
Thanks for at least reading prior to knee-jerking. All I want is for people to look around and think for themselves. Often, it involves pain. Pre-programmed thought patterns are what allow dumbness to take root. Even here. Yes, I yank chains. But never gratuitously.

Typhos, parrhesia, atyphia - too simple, too complex.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Question for Justin and Karla

Ooops, who is KATE Donovan talking about.

I don't know, but that post is a load of bull. Poor, poor young people. If there's any ageism operative in A/S it's against older people, not younger people. Whenever an icon strays from the path, they can barely contain themselves from invoking "old," preferably concatenated with "white" as a privilege indicator, but in youth culture age is far from privilege. Nothing will get a person marginalized faster than being unhiply old, and that's before others start to use age as an excuse to ostracize those they dislike from the movement, as Myers (ironically) attempts to do with Jamy Ian Swiss. Any time he, Dawkins, or any other unhiply old target makes a misstep, just watch how long it takes them to wield ageism against them.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Looks like me, the cis normative hetro consenting life partner, plus the persons under our legal guardianship for the period of their maturation, are going to Nice on hols.

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Apples wrote:[youtube]toa_vH6xGqs[/youtube]
Some parts were brilliant, some parts meh, and some parts needed an eye roll. Say what you might about her but she sounds like someone to have reasonable disagreements with.

Her analysis might be deep from a feminist point of view but IMO the problem with her videos is that she is only offering a one-dimensional point of view that will inevitably miss a lot. This is one my favorite videos that talk about violence in video games:
[youtube]wSBn77_h_6Q[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Southern wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: Kudos, Ophelia and Stephanie. You are truly bravada heroines, experts at scaring people - particularly those oh-so valuable women, it seems - out of the atheist movement.
You know, what surprises even me is that Ophelia is even more hostile in her one-on-one correspondence. I can imagine someone playing to the crowd and perhaps then being a little more conciliatory when dealing with a person as a person. Not Ophelia though.

First, for whatever psychological reason its clear she has what she wants to do in mind, it's just a question of what thin rationalization she can come up with to do it. The important thing to her seems to be to be angry, to punish people for slights real and imagined, almost to revenge herself on people.

You give her perfectly good reasons for having a Nym, the same reason everyone has, and Ophelia, instead of actually understanding a thing you say to her goes with her personal motto "I call bullshit".

That's right, Ophelia. Everyone is bullshitting but you. People don't have reasons, they have bullshit. And the purpose of people's bullshit is to derail you from doing what you desperately want to do to bring harm to people. People don't want you to do harm to them, the selfish bastards.

She's a twisted, bitter old bitch. She's also obviously mental. And I don't give a shit. Whatever psycopatholgy this woman has its somewhere in the Dark Triad of Narcissism to Anti-Social. Having dealt with a Borderline Personality myself I wouldn't be surprised if Ophelia Benson is the BPD end-game, the rage of the manipulator when they have nothing left to manipulate with. She's mean and destructive and wraps herself in the mantle of victimhood to do harm to others. I have no sympathy for her. None.

*Sigh* I did that long video and some follow up when Ophelia Benson couldn't understand the concept of cutting her losses. Then I backed off because I didn't want people to think I was obsessed with any of them and picking on poor, scared and befuddled Ophelia. Yet once again this nasty piece of work, perhaps subconsciously deciding its better to be vilified than ignored, is about to make herself my pet project again.

Fuck her.
That video, and not Snakeesian borefest about whatever she's talking about now should get a $120,000 funding.

Of course, me being a cheap-ass, none of that would be mine dollas.
Man, the shit I could do with that money. Some of it actually not directly related to snorting coke out of a hooker's cooch.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Zenspace wrote:
Jan, I've long admired your work. That simple statement is one of your best. :clap:
Thanks Zenspace. It was largely a recycled piece, but since OB seems so recycle her grudges all the time that is perhaps fitting.