Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
greylurker

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by greylurker »

KiwiInOz wrote:Since the Pit has become the Tech help Centre - does anyone know how to deal with that bloody Search Redirect trojan/virus thingy. A simple answer that actually works would be nice.
Never had it but a quick google turned up this site:
http://www.2-viruses.com/how-to-fix-goo ... us-problem
The stuff about checking the hosts file for junk added after white space may be worth trying before doing a re-image.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

deLurch wrote:
Wonderist wrote:HP Pavilion dv7, from back when I wasn't (completely, just mostly) broke.
How much did you spend on it?

Odds are you will have to swap out the motherboard too (the CPU might not be the issue), you would also have to make sure the CPU fan still functions.

Here is the repair manual:
http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01689926.pdf
...snip...
Oops, missed this one. Thanks for the great info, deLurch. I'll have to get back to you on the specs sometime later. I'm not really in a position to buy or repair anything right now. Just gonna make do with my clunker for a bit. Funny thing, I paid waaaaay more for this clunker than I did for the HP. It's a Sony Vaio; forget all the specs, but one of the small ones, perhaps notebook? not sure. like a mini laptop. All told, with shipping, cost me about $3000 CAD or so if I recall correctly, back when I was working steadily. I wanted something small and it was the smallest at the time with the best screen and longest battery. Now it's a clunker. lol Well, that's how I was thinking back then when money wasn't an issue. The HP was actually quite nice IMO, aside from the noisy fan, and all told cost me about $700 CAD at the time. This time I went for bigger, so I could have full keyboard and keypad (I'm a programmer, so it's nice to have all the keys available) and 17" monitor (widescreen). It's gonna hit my budget hard this time, so I'll have to wait a bit and figure something out.

Cheers!

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

Oops, should have added the essential *** back up first ***!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

KiwiInOz wrote:Since the Pit has become the Tech help Centre - does anyone know how to deal with that bloody Search Redirect trojan/virus thingy. A simple answer that actually works would be nice.

You did not mention exactly which virus variant you had.

Anyway some generic advise:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/936598
http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-bro ... ect-virus/

Also this:
http://botcrawl.com/how-to-stop-unwante ... irections/

Which is not going to work if you use something like Incredimail or if you insist on using Internet Explorer as a browser and/or Windows period.

You could Install some Linux or BSD variant though. That works for me (though right now I am disgruntled with Ubuntu/Unity/Gnome3 and when I get aroundtuit I am going to give Mint a try).

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Tribble wrote:
Wonderist wrote:Ahhhh, of course, one blink, pause, ad infinitum. Yep, kinda makes sense too, and it's been running hotter and hotter for a while. That blows. I guess there's no point in trying to replace a CPU? I'm a software guy, not hardware, and don't know laptops for shit. Probably need a whole new laptop, eh? Fuck, you'd think maybe there'd be a market for scrap laptop replacement parts? Or are there just too many models to deal with compatibility and demand?
I've built my own rigs from the 8088 days until a few years ago, but in all that, I haven't screwed with a laptop since the mid-1990s so some layout stuff I know might be a tad obsolete.

Laptops tend to have cheap CPUs. Just make sure you fix your cooling problem first. CPUs don't normally over-heat and blow-up unless there's a cooling problem. Cooling problems are most likely caused by dust. But you could have bad/disconnected fans, had your heatsink get knocked off or some such.

Your CPU should be under a cover on the bottom of the case. Your memory under another cover. Look for some vents, the CPU is usually close to them. It's easy to replace as it uses a ZIF socket. Just make sure to use the exact replacement and to completely clean the computer AND make sure you apply all fans/heat-sinks properly.

Your local computer repair store might be able to test the laptop and it's components it if it's not under warranty and confirm what component(s) is/are bad.

All said and done, it may be cheaper to turn it into an anchor and buy a new one.
Thanks for info, Tribble. A colleague of mine once suggested to just buy laptops like you buy a Bic lighter, disposable and cheap. I'll have to think about my options for a bit. Thankfully no rush.

welch

Re: HP dv7 Problem

Post by welch »

mordacious1 wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
HP Pavilion dv7, from back when I wasn't (completely, just mostly) broke.
Throw it away (I mean recycle). The problem with those laptops is not with the CPU, batteries, or whatever else was mentioned. The problem was that HP was (knowingly, I might add) putting defective Nvidia GPUs in their laptops. They tried to do cheap fixes (just to get their crap through warranty) by doing a BIOS update which would turn the fan on basically all the time. This only postponed the inevitable. Nvidia lost a class action lawsuit and the judge agreed to have HP replace thousands of very expensive laptops with Compaq CQ56 craptops which are worth about $200. If you replace the CPU, it will just fry again. You'd have to replace the GPU also. Google "Nvidia Class Action Lawsuit" for more info. Good luck.
A lot of people got bit by that Nvidia GPU problem, it wasn't just HP. Nvidia ended up writing some big checks to Apple as well.

welch

Post by welch »

Tribble wrote:
Wonderist wrote:Ahhhh, of course, one blink, pause, ad infinitum. Yep, kinda makes sense too, and it's been running hotter and hotter for a while. That blows. I guess there's no point in trying to replace a CPU? I'm a software guy, not hardware, and don't know laptops for shit. Probably need a whole new laptop, eh? Fuck, you'd think maybe there'd be a market for scrap laptop replacement parts? Or are there just too many models to deal with compatibility and demand?
I've built my own rigs from the 8088 days until a few years ago, but in all that, I haven't screwed with a laptop since the mid-1990s so some layout stuff I know might be a tad obsolete.

Laptops tend to have cheap CPUs. Just make sure you fix your cooling problem first. CPUs don't normally over-heat and blow-up unless there's a cooling problem. Cooling problems are most likely caused by dust. But you could have bad/disconnected fans, had your heatsink get knocked off or some such.

Your CPU should be under a cover on the bottom of the case. Your memory under another cover. Look for some vents, the CPU is usually close to them. It's easy to replace as it uses a ZIF socket. Just make sure to use the exact replacement and to completely clean the computer AND make sure you apply all fans/heat-sinks properly.

Your local computer repair store might be able to test the laptop and it's components it if it's not under warranty and confirm what component(s) is/are bad.

All said and done, it may be cheaper to turn it into an anchor and buy a new one.
The days of laptops having cheap CPUs have been gone for some time now, unless you're at the VERY low end. also, a lot of laptops don't use ZIFs anymore, those take up space. For laptops, direct attachment is the way to go, saves space and reduces signal loss at junctions.

If the CPU is gone, it's probably a complete mobo replacement and unless you're comfortable with doing that, getting a new one is your best bet.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Wonderist wrote:Thanks for info, Tribble. A colleague of mine once suggested to just buy laptops like you buy a Bic lighter, disposable and cheap. I'll have to think about my options for a bit. Thankfully no rush.
There is a lot to be said for that approach. Just ensure you have a good backup strategy.

I have a couple of these. I suggest one with USB 3.0 and at least 1TB of space.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=640

Plus I use dropbox/free cloud services to sync small files like bookmarks, notes and so forth between various boxes.

(some people like a NAS but that is way more than what I need)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Wonderist wrote:A colleague of mine once suggested to just buy laptops like you buy a Bic lighter, disposable and cheap. I'll have to think about my options for a bit. Thankfully no rush.
Unless you need a high powered system, I tend to agree with that. I bought a cheap $400 Acer dual-core, 4GB system back in 2010. It still does just fine. I bought just for what I needed back then. At $400 a pop, I figured I could take that purchasing approach every year and still come out with a better system at the end of 3 years, than trying to buy a $1,200 system that would last 3 years.

It was so cheap, I gave it to my sister (because patriarchy) and got myself another one. Seriously, $400 is your estimated repair bill right there. If I lose it or if it gets stolen, I am not going to cry.

Unless you are doing some super abnormal number crunching, serious video editing or gaming, you don't need to spend a lot on a computer.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:The Beatification begins (Eire is a Roman Catholic Country after all..):

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/teflon.jpg

Nugent has been co-opted, and is scared of the Wrath of Feefle's Minions. This is evidence that his bollocks have been removed and placed in the trophy case of OCC. Do not expect him to do anything other than suck up to her in Dublin, and bend over backwards to give her a rimjob. He is a lost cause.

...*snipped awesome music*...
It's possible that he has maneuvered himself into a corner. He may be unable to maintain OB as both a IRL guest and an online 'target of harassment' (aka person we'd like to discuss). He might have calculated the situation as temporarily untenable. Kicking the can down the road another time, til after the convention...

Wishful thinking? Yeah. I'll admit that 100%.
Wow, I think you guys are both underestimating Nugent by a lot, IMO. He's had so many opportunities to mess up and has not messed up once, IMO (well, except at the very beginning, of course). I think maybe you are expecting different things from him than I am. Like, I'm not expecting him to come 'out' as an ally any time soon, if ever. He's been so impeccably neutral that I cannot say for certain what his true opinions are at the moment, though I have a fairly strong feeling he's at least sympathetic to our concerns, if not in full agreement that they are valid concerns. Yet I could be completely wrong on that and maybe he's got little to no sympathy in our general direction, and nothing he's done so far would be inconsistent with that outcome either. That's a pretty astounding feat of neutrality, IMHO. I know of no one else who's been so deeply involved who's been able to maintain that kind of consistency of neutrality. Jerry Coyne has only managed it by staying well the fuck away from it, and I don't blame him. Same with Hemant Mehta. But Nugent's right in the thick of it. Amazing to me.

Listen, imagine Nugent tilted slightly in our direction. What would happen? Big dust up, Ophelia would surely ditch, big controversy over the conference, Atheist Ireland likely to get a black eye, it would seriously fuck with AI and Nugent's world in general.

Now, imagine he tilted slightly in their direction. *We'd* be the ones stirring up shit over it (SlymePitters, critics in general). We already did when we came down hard on the 50 things VaculaMustDenounce post. That was a big chunk of unexpected chaos in Nugent's world. He spent a lot of his own personal time on that. Then the dialogue thing, he spent a good deal of time on that too, regaining a stability and balance, even if it did stall in the end. Now things aren't so chaotic at this moment, and the best thing for Nugent/AI is to get this upcoming conference to pull off without a hitch. Whatever happens after that is up in the air, but if they can make it through the conference, they are home safe from major controversy that could fuck with their world.

So, Ophelia looks like she's going to have a breakdown, so Nugent contacts her and assures her that he'll moderate any comment that's about her so he can ensure that she's not going to bail, and so the conference goes off without a hitch. Stability again. He's got it fricken handled, I gotta hand it to him. And as he said, it's probably not just him, but his AI colleagues as well, I'm imagining.

Give the guy a break, he's got obligations. He can't just swing this way or that way, even if his own opinions are swinging this way or that way. The conference is a big deal for them. Conference first, controversy after, if ever. I think that's how he sees things, and it helps me make sense of his actions, so that's why I think it's impressive. Perhaps you guys are expecting something different, and when he doesn't go the way you're hoping, it comes off as a disappointment?

(Actually, re-reading ParodyAccountant's comment, maybe he's saying something rather similar to what I'm saying: Controversy after convention.)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

h/t Taslima, who posted the first one of these videos at her site; kudos of course also to the artist, and to Dawkins:

[youtube]beYYZRN1sEs[/youtube]

[youtube]VmJ-j61tXvk[/youtube]

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Apparently it's a fucker. My mom had to deal with it once. She's a big fan of Kim Komando and figured out on her own how to get rid of it from the Kim Komando site. I don't even have anti-virus besides built-in windows stuff and haven't had a virus in... fuck, I can't even remember. Don't install stupid shit. On your computer or into your head. Goes for alla ya. ;-)

kunda

Post by kunda »

Hello there everyone. I've spent the last few days reading numerous posts and gotten a feel for the way it is around here. Previous to that I had been reading various FtB blogs for about six months or so and started to notice 'the pattern'. Anyway, I was truly expecting this place to be splattered in blood with racist/sexist epithets smeared on the walls with feces. It was a real pleasure to hear Skep Tickle the other night on the radio and kinda cemented my feeling about the place, I wanna engage with people who think like that. Looking forward to diving in.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

kunda wrote:Hello there everyone. I've spent the last few days reading numerous posts and gotten a feel for the way it is around here. Previous to that I had been reading various FtB blogs for about six months or so and started to notice 'the pattern'. Anyway, I was truly expecting this place to be splattered in blood with racist/sexist epithets smeared on the walls with feces. It was a real pleasure to hear Skep Tickle the other night on the radio and kinda cemented my feeling about the place, I wanna engage with people who think like that. Looking forward to diving in.
Welcome! Here's your mandatory basket of links:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/423 ... 7703e7.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:This needs capping. It's to do with the FFRF FB page kerfluffle.

The Huge Zvanatee is becoming as insane as Feefles.

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/svanBS.jpg
Adding - pre-demonization of Nugnuts in action. He'll be witch of the week before Feefles', Twatson's and PeeZus' return flights' wheels have left the tarmac at DUB.
did Nugent tell her that the diminutive "Mick" was okay to use in reference to him?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

kunda wrote:Hello there everyone. I've spent the last few days reading numerous posts and gotten a feel for the way it is around here. Previous to that I had been reading various FtB blogs for about six months or so and started to notice 'the pattern'. Anyway, I was truly expecting this place to be splattered in blood with racist/sexist epithets smeared on the walls with feces. It was a real pleasure to hear Skep Tickle the other night on the radio and kinda cemented my feeling about the place, I wanna engage with people who think like that. Looking forward to diving in.
Hi kunda - glad you were able to get past FtB's misrepresentation of the Pit; they do lay it on thick at times, don't they. (If I were an FtBer, I'd be over here in a flash once warned off the place, just to see what it was like. But maybe that's just me. Uh, which is also why I'm not an FtBer. Hmm, starting to sound circular...)

Glad too that you enjoyed the interview, my evil plan is working heh heh I had fun doing it but later thought of all the stuff I didn't say, which I guess is the way these things go.

Since you're been reading, you know that we're not all of one mind, which is of course part of the point.

Now someone's probably going to come along to say "Fuck off" (to make sure you have moderately thick skin or whatever the purpose is).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

sacha wrote:
did Nugent tell her that the diminutive "Mick" was okay to use in reference to him?
In Stephanie Zvan's defense "Mick" is primarily an American derogatory term for Irishmen akin to "Spic" for Hispanics. She probably thought that he wouldn't notice.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mick
Urban Dictionary wrote: 1. Mick
Derogatory word for Irish people.
The origin of the word is disputed. Some beliefs are that "mick" comes from the common "Mc" in many Irish names. McSorley, McNeil, McFlannagan, ect.

Others believe its related to the sound of a drunken hiccup. I was the captain *mick* of a ship *mick* for 3 years!!

Also, Mick is the word that "spick" came from.
Irish and Hispanics are both dominantly catholic. In the 1900's when Irish immigrants had pretty much been well established, but still hated by many Americans, was also the time when many Hispanic immigrants made their entry into America. They ended up sharing our churches, schools and neighborhoods due to the catholic faith and moral values we had in common. When early retard americans saw this, they bagan calling hispanics "spicks" (Like a spanish Mick).

Mick is also used between Irish friends and relatives in a playful and joking way.
Like "Joey, you stupid mick"

Also Mick is a word that Dutchman are afraid to use, cause they know that us Micks will tear em up. Like the guy "JESSIE" who posted earlier, they only say it on the web, or when we arent around.
"that damn mick"

"My cousin is one crazy mick"

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

deLurch wrote:
sacha wrote:
In Stephanie Zvan's defense "Mick" is primarily an American derogatory term for Irishmen akin to "Spic" for Hispanics. She probably thought that he wouldn't notice. ...
I've asked him which he prefers, & he said either Mick or Michael. Those who know him well may tend to call him by the more familiar name, which he sounds quite comfortable using.

(Which reminds me there's another word that has a substantially different meaning and acceptability in UK versus US...)

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

The conduit version? You'll need cccleaner and instructions on the net. This is the simple version reply.

sacha

Post by sacha »

deLurch wrote:
sacha wrote:
In Stephanie Zvan's defense "Mick" is primarily an American derogatory term for Irishmen akin to "Spic" for Hispanics. She probably thought that he wouldn't notice.
yes, I know. and how is that defending her?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Lsuoma wrote:The Beatification begins (Eire is a Roman Catholic Country after all..):

Nugent has been co-opted, and is scared of the Wrath of Feefle's Minions. This is evidence that his bollocks have been removed and placed in the trophy case of OCC. Do not expect him to do anything other than suck up to her in Dublin, and bend over backwards to give her a rimjob. He is a lost cause.

OTOH, the good news is that I've rediscovered my copy of "Live, May 11, 1968" by HP Lovecraft which is one of the GREAT live psych albums from the '60s, especially "Wayfarin' Stranger" with killer organ, and the cover of Fred Neil's "The Bag I'm In". Truly, truly a great album!

http://hifirecordsla.com/covers/big/R-2 ... 79617.jpeg
You may be right but I would also consider it to be an issue of Eire libel law which may be similar to the UK. A few comments made earlier brought up the fact that the US people may trip over these laws and Nugent is probably covering himself. Calling someone a liar was not allowed anyway there, he is restating that part.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sacha wrote:
deLurch wrote:
sacha wrote:
I read deLurch as saying: "In [her] 'defense', Mick is primarily..." meaning he thought she meant to use it that way.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

cunt

Post by cunt »

Wonderist wrote: Wow, I think you guys are both underestimating Nugent by a lot, IMO. He's had so many opportunities to mess up and has not messed up once, IMO (well, except at the very beginning, of course). I think maybe you are expecting different things from him than I am. Like, I'm not expecting him to come 'out' as an ally any time soon, if ever. He's been so impeccably neutral that I cannot say for certain what his true opinions are at the moment, though I have a fairly strong feeling he's at least sympathetic to our concerns, if not in full agreement that they are valid concerns. Yet I could be completely wrong on that and maybe he's got little to no sympathy in our general direction, and nothing he's done so far would be inconsistent with that outcome either. That's a pretty astounding feat of neutrality, IMHO. I know of no one else who's been so deeply involved who's been able to maintain that kind of consistency of neutrality. Jerry Coyne has only managed it by staying well the fuck away from it, and I don't blame him. Same with Hemant Mehta. But Nugent's right in the thick of it. Amazing to me.

Listen, imagine Nugent tilted slightly in our direction. What would happen? Big dust up, Ophelia would surely ditch, big controversy over the conference, Atheist Ireland likely to get a black eye, it would seriously fuck with AI and Nugent's world in general.

Now, imagine he tilted slightly in their direction. *We'd* be the ones stirring up shit over it (SlymePitters, critics in general). We already did when we came down hard on the 50 things VaculaMustDenounce post. That was a big chunk of unexpected chaos in Nugent's world. He spent a lot of his own personal time on that. Then the dialogue thing, he spent a good deal of time on that too, regaining a stability and balance, even if it did stall in the end. Now things aren't so chaotic at this moment, and the best thing for Nugent/AI is to get this upcoming conference to pull off without a hitch. Whatever happens after that is up in the air, but if they can make it through the conference, they are home safe from major controversy that could fuck with their world.

So, Ophelia looks like she's going to have a breakdown, so Nugent contacts her and assures her that he'll moderate any comment that's about her so he can ensure that she's not going to bail, and so the conference goes off without a hitch. Stability again. He's got it fricken handled, I gotta hand it to him. And as he said, it's probably not just him, but his AI colleagues as well, I'm imagining.

Give the guy a break, he's got obligations. He can't just swing this way or that way, even if his own opinions are swinging this way or that way. The conference is a big deal for them. Conference first, controversy after, if ever. I think that's how he sees things, and it helps me make sense of his actions, so that's why I think it's impressive. Perhaps you guys are expecting something different, and when he doesn't go the way you're hoping, it comes off as a disappointment?

(Actually, re-reading ParodyAccountant's comment, maybe he's saying something rather similar to what I'm saying: Controversy after convention.)
Tell him I think he's a dumb bitch, and that his opinion isn't important at all.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Skep tickle wrote:Currently the 2 entries at the top of Pogsurf's blog are, 1 after the other:

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/p ... award.html

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/w ... inner.html

I'm going to guess there's a connection between the 2...
Pogsurf has another blog post up,a new moderation policy he's put up in response to an email he received which was quite likely related to his 2 posts above, worth a read: http://pogsurf.blogspot.com/2013/06/abusive-e-mail.html
Skep tickle wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:While on the subject of Pogsurf, check this out:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4862

Pogsurf is also on Colon's block bot.
3 moderator notices in a 9-post thread. Quite the overachiever, I see. :lol:
He's now up to 4 mod notices at atheism+ in a thread of 12 posts, with himself having only put up 5 posts total. Quite the batting average. But he's not yet banned. Bets on how long it'll be?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Skep tickle wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Currently the 2 entries at the top of Pogsurf's blog are, 1 after the other:

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/p ... award.html

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/w ... inner.html

I'm going to guess there's a connection between the 2...
Pogsurf has another blog post up,a new moderation policy he's put up in response to an email he received which was quite likely related to his 2 posts above, worth a read: http://pogsurf.blogspot.com/2013/06/abusive-e-mail.html
Skep tickle wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:While on the subject of Pogsurf, check this out:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4862

Pogsurf is also on Colon's block bot.
3 moderator notices in a 9-post thread. Quite the overachiever, I see. :lol:
He's now up to 4 mod notices at atheism+ in a thread of 12 posts, with himself having only put up 5 posts total. Quite the batting average. But he's not yet banned. Bets on how long it'll be?
You got to love their twisted logic.

Citation requested.

Citation provided.

Told off for providing citation. The reason? Bringing in an argument from outside their forum. It's nuts. Maybe everyone posting there must delete their brains as most of memory is from outside their forums. Thinking about it, I think most have them have.

Steersman

Re: Lousy Canuck's "Reality & Mythology"

Post by Steersman »

FWIW, my recent comment on Jason’s “Reality and Mythology” post. In moderation at the moment:
Steersman wrote: You and many others here are apparently no slouches in the “mythologizing” department yourselves.

For instance, you might ask Oolon if he’s planning on correcting the egregious bit of propaganda that he was peddling on Nugent’s blog, on Benson’s, and on two threads on Zvan’s about “Maxwell Smart” being the first to let the cat out of the bag about Skep tickle when, in fact, that “honour” falls to “TheBlackCat” on Pharyngula some 6 days prior to Smart’s comment. Do check the details on Nugent’s recent post (comments #116 & #119).

In addition, you might also ask Stacy whether they’re planning on providing evidence to justify their apparent accusation that “MosesZD” posts on the pit or that his position is subscribed to by any significant percentage of the pit. Which is supposedly sufficient to justify his/her argument that that is sufficient to “discredit the pit” – at least in their rather fevered imagination in any case. (comment #266).

Or how about “Matt Penfold’s” “argument” (’tis to laugh) that “The slymepit regards women as subservient to men”? (comments #39, 41, 42, 43, 52, etc., etc., etc.)

And even your suggestion that it was some nefarious subgroup of “mythologizers over at the SlymePit” who were asserting that “it was a targeted ‘false flag’ operation” really doesn’t hold any water either as a search of the term shows nothing before May 7. Seems to me you’re just a little confused as the only person that I see that used that term is “MosesZD” who has, as I mentioned to Stacy, never posted in the Pit, at least under that name. Do try to keep your facts straight.

But, as the cherry on top, the pièce de résistance, consider Ophelia Benson’s “claim” – although “fantasy” seems more appropriate – that Nugent’s “blog is *still* full of people calling me a c*nt”. To which Derek Walsh quite reasonably responded, in effect, that she was full of it. (1)

While I will readily concede that there are more than a few on “our” side whose grasp of the “truth” is a little tenuous, the foregoing – which is really only a tip of a rather large and problematic iceberg – suggests that the problem is just as bad if not worse on “your” side. Maybe because you’re trying to shoehorn facts into some narrow, if not narrow-minded, dogma.

But if you actually want to put your money where your mouth is and actually stand behind your call for “hearing all ideas”, and using “argumentation, evidence and reason instead, sans all the acrimony and shameless hounding”, you all could start by being a little less draconian, not to say self-serving and bigoted, in your moderation policies. You might find – we might all find – that the quest for workable principles is ill-served by the narratives sustained by such policies.

----
1) “_https://twitter.com/funkyderek/status/334021383464026114”;

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Epic.
Completely unrelated but necessary nonetheless:
[youtube]LL7MgPhtCYr5zVpwcojhd6FQ[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

[youtube]EcmlfnkSAwU[/youtube]
Try that again.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

deLurch wrote:
sacha wrote:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mick
Urban Dictionary wrote: 1. Mick
Derogatory word for Irish people.
The origin of the word is disputed. Some beliefs are that "mick" comes from the common "Mc" in many Irish names. McSorley, McNeil, McFlannagan, ect.

Others believe its related to the sound of a drunken hiccup. I was the captain *mick* of a ship *mick* for 3 years!!

Also, Mick is the word that "spick" came from.
Irish and Hispanics are both dominantly catholic. In the 1900's when Irish immigrants had pretty much been well established, but still hated by many Americans, was also the time when many Hispanic immigrants made their entry into America. They ended up sharing our churches, schools and neighborhoods due to the catholic faith and moral values we had in common. When early retard americans saw this, they bagan calling hispanics "spicks" (Like a spanish Mick).

Mick is also used between Irish friends and relatives in a playful and joking way.
Like "Joey, you stupid mick"

Also Mick is a word that Dutchman are afraid to use, cause they know that us Micks will tear em up. Like the guy "JESSIE" who posted earlier, they only say it on the web, or when we arent around.
"that damn mick"

"My cousin is one crazy mick"
Choke Spot Choke
This isn't on YouTube so I can't embed it, but it's worth clicking just for the line "See dog Spot ogle Dick's prick sticking Jane's main twat slot".

sacha

Post by sacha »

Skep tickle wrote:
sacha wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I read deLurch as saying: "In [her] 'defense', Mick is primarily..." meaning he thought she meant to use it that way.
oh. Thank you.

I misunderstood, deLurch, my apologies.

Yes, her deliberate use of "Mick" (as a Merkin) is far worse than referring to Richard Dawkins as "Dick".

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
sacha wrote:
deLurch wrote:
oh. Thank you.

Yes, her deliberate use of "Mick" (as a Merkin) is far worse than referring to Richard Dawkins as "Dick".
Maybe, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me considering that Michael's twitter handle is @micknugent:

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Steersman wrote:Maybe, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me considering that Michael's twitter handle is @micknugent:
After reviewing all of the provided information, it does appear that your and Skep Tickle's assessments are the most plausible.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
sacha wrote:
deLurch wrote:
oh. Thank you.

Maybe, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me considering that Michael's twitter handle is @micknugent:
even if we give her the benefit of the doubt as to the bigotry insinuated in the use of "Mick"
it's still a diminutive used derogatively. He is known as Michael, not Mick, and she certainly isn't a close friend of his.
She was making a disparaging remark, and using Mick instead of Michael deliberately.

sacha

Post by sacha »

it is exactly the same as when I refer to Rebecca Watson as "Becci".

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote: <snip>
even if we give her the benefit of the doubt as to the bigotry insinuated in the use of "Mick"
it's still a diminutive used derogatively.
How is it "giving her the benefit of the doubt" if you insist on that?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/benefit+of+the+doubt
He is known as Michael, not Mick, and she certainly isn't a close friend of his.
She was making a disparaging remark, and using Mick instead of Michael deliberately.
I certainly wouldn't use the term as I haven't had any direct communications with him. But quite possibly Zvan might have done so, even if only just on the recent dialog. I'll agree that it's "iffy", particularly given her "Dick" reference, but that's about it ....

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

No matter what Michael Nugent does or says, no matter how disrespectful, impartial or obsequious he acts the goon squad are going to drip-dry him after the Dublin AI conference. I can see it coming a mile off.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

sacha wrote:even if we give her the benefit of the doubt as to the bigotry insinuated in the use of "Mick"
it's still a diminutive used derogatively. He is known as Michael, not Mick, and she certainly isn't a close friend of his.
Given this information:
Skep tickle wrote:I've asked him which he prefers, & he said either Mick or Michael. Those who know him well may tend to call him by the more familiar name, which he sounds quite comfortable using.
And this information:
Steersman wrote:Maybe, but that seems a bit of a stretch to me considering that Michael's twitter handle is @micknugent:
It appears he easily goes by both names.

If Richard Dawkins, commonly went by Dick Dawkins, and perhaps used Richard Dawkins for more formal settings, which isn't that unusual for adults, and he also had his twitter handle as @dickdawkins, I would not blink my eye at someone calling him Dick, even when throwing a bit of mud his way.

I think this is ultimately much to do about nothing.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

deLurch wrote:
After reviewing all of the provided information, it does appear that your and Skep Tickle's assessments are the most plausible.
Agreed.

Although I find it interesting how we make those rather subjective assessments of probability. Seems there have been some interesting studies on that process that suggest that there are cases where that intuitive sense can be fooled - similar to various other cognitive illusions of one sort or another - but that it is generally fairly reliable.

[time to call it a day; night all]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Michael will have as much problem being called Mick, as Patrick has being called paddy. It could be argued that intent matters, but in a general sense people in Ireland don't really give a flying fuck if you're attempting to diminish by using racial slang, but if you're the one attempting it, be prepared to be the one having a meltdown, as the likely response will be to ramp it up, way past what you're prepared for.

One of the most prominent characteristics which runs through Irish society, is not taking ourselves, or anyone else too seriously. Taking the piss, as it's called, is as much part of daily life, as brushing your teeth. Huge warning sirens sound in my head when i encounter someone who can't laugh at themselves. You also find, the more someone can't laugh at themselves, the more they get laughed at.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote: <snip>
it's still a diminutive used derogatively.
How is it "giving her the benefit of the doubt" if you insist on that?
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/benefit+of+the+doubt
He is known as Michael, not Mick, and she certainly isn't a close friend of his.
I certainly wouldn't use the term as I haven't had any direct communications with him. But quite possibly Zvan might have done so, even if only just on the recent dialog. I'll agree that it's "iffy", particularly given her "Dick" reference, but that's about it ....
It's 'iffy' enough for her to have plausible deniability.

The general convention is that unless someone is always known by their nickname, such as 'Jim', it is rude to use it unless familiar with that person and not in formal communications in any event.

Also he's not @Michaelnugent as that was taken according to a post he made once.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:No matter what Michael Nugent does or says, no matter how disrespectful, impartial or obsequious he acts the goon squad are going to drip-dry him after the Dublin AI conference. I can see it coming a mile off.
The pompous tub of lard plans to give Nugent a good talking to while he's there.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Skep Tickle, you missed Pogsurf's earlier blog entry:

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/o ... anist.html
Dear Humanists,

In 2011 Professor PZ Myers was awarded the International Humanist Award.

One thing I find beyond the pale is rape jokes. Minimising the suffering of victims, and silencing their voices must be entirely inconsistent with the aims of humanism. Yet for a period of at least a year anal rape jokes were part of the official moderation policy of the 'global phenomenon' which you praised. Where is the consistency?
He then goes on to mention his posts in the A+ forum. He should have mentioned the fact that the A-Plussers don't seem to care about social justice unless it directly concerns them.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

I would have thought that as Mr Nugent's twitter account is @micknugent he would be happy being referred to as Mick.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

The 'red' atheist skeptic dialogue?

http://i.imgur.com/lBBqL4H.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:No matter what Michael Nugent does or says, no matter how disrespectful, impartial or obsequious he acts the goon squad are going to drip-dry him after the Dublin AI conference. I can see it coming a mile off.
The pompous tub of lard plans to give Nugent a good talking to while he's there.
I'd love to see that happen. He'll be nice to Michael's face and then, when safely back in America, call him everything but a bog-trotting cunt on Pharyngula.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

[youtube]HWVYePkfSdU[/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
cunt wrote:
I'd love to see that happen. He'll be nice to Michael's face and then, when safely back in America, call him everything but a bog-trotting cunt on Pharyngula.
Yep. As he did with JV and Skep Tickle he will project and assert motives and intentions with no evidence at all. If he was genuine about his claims I would doubt his ability to interact effectively in any social environment. If I consistently misread people that badly I would be very concerned.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jjbinx007 wrote:I would have thought that as Mr Nugent's twitter account is @micknugent he would be happy being referred to as Mick.
I kind of get the impression he could care less what you call him unless it is late to dinner. Which kind of begs the question of why would he really care what the Black Zvan calls him?

(I a pretty sure I would not care in the slightest myself)

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

AndrewV69 wrote: I kind of get the impression he could care less
He could care less. I, however, could not.

LMU

Post by LMU »

sacha wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Adding - pre-demonization of Nugnuts in action. He'll be witch of the week before Feefles', Twatson's and PeeZus' return flights' wheels have left the tarmac at DUB.
I think Nugent did indicate that "Mick" was acceptable to him (I was concerned about this too).

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Wonderist wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:

...*snipped awesome music*...
It's possible that he has maneuvered himself into a corner. He may be unable to maintain OB as both a IRL guest and an online 'target of harassment' (aka person we'd like to discuss). He might have calculated the situation as temporarily untenable. Kicking the can down the road another time, til after the convention...

Wishful thinking? Yeah. I'll admit that 100%.
Wow, I think you guys are both underestimating Nugent by a lot, IMO. He's had so many opportunities to mess up and has not messed up once, IMO (well, except at the very beginning, of course). I think maybe you are expecting different things from him than I am. Like, I'm not expecting him to come 'out' as an ally any time soon, if ever. He's been so impeccably neutral that I cannot say for certain what his true opinions are at the moment, though I have a fairly strong feeling he's at least sympathetic to our concerns, if not in full agreement that they are valid concerns. Yet I could be completely wrong on that and maybe he's got little to no sympathy in our general direction, and nothing he's done so far would be inconsistent with that outcome either. That's a pretty astounding feat of neutrality, IMHO. I know of no one else who's been so deeply involved who's been able to maintain that kind of consistency of neutrality. Jerry Coyne has only managed it by staying well the fuck away from it, and I don't blame him. Same with Hemant Mehta. But Nugent's right in the thick of it. Amazing to me.

We are on the same page, Wonderist. I think you hit the nail on the head there.

LMU

Post by LMU »

Wonderist wrote:--snipped--
--snipped--
This is my view too. If Nugent sympathizes with "our side", we wouldn't necessarily know it from his actions (though he does seem to be much much fairer to us than the "other side"). Remember how some people here have talked about the FC(n) not actually getting much done except making drama? Some of the people who do get stuff done work with people, and they often need to get unreasonable people to cooperate. As a consequence they may have to make concessions or allowances that don't seem fair, but it doesn't have to be fair, it just has to work. OTOH it surprised me when Lindsay responded the way he did to RW's goading, because he seemed to be in a somewhat similar position.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

LMU wrote:
Wonderist wrote:--snipped--
--snipped--
This is my view too. If Nugent sympathizes with "our side", we wouldn't necessarily know it from his actions (though he does seem to be much much fairer to us than the "other side"). Remember how some people here have talked about the FC(n) not actually getting much done except making drama? Some of the people who do get stuff done work with people, and they often need to get unreasonable people to cooperate. As a consequence they may have to make concessions or allowances that don't seem fair, but it doesn't have to be fair, it just has to work. OTOH it surprised me when Lindsay responded the way he did to RW's goading, because he seemed to be in a somewhat similar position.
If Nugent is so fair and balanced on this issue then how do you explain his 'gotcha' type posts giving carefully selected out of context quotes from the slymepit - starting off with Francs cunt-kick line - which didn't even originate here?
How about his immediater pouncing on that stupid troll-post of an Ophelia naked old lady photoshop.
And that was hardly his first foray into the identity politics arena, he's previously written attacks on both Woolly Bumblebee and Thunderf00t.

His 'dialogue' process seems specifically designed to avoid any talk of the behavior of the FTB crowd and is mired down in pedantic fussing by Svan.
The only tangeable thing the process has achieved is passing on Skep tickles identity to Svan - who has apparently given it to Ophurfucksake Benson to use as she desired.

So no, I don't buy into the idea that Nugent is some kind of fair neutral party.

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

Dick Strawkins wrote: If Nugent is so fair and balanced on this issue then how do you explain his 'gotcha' type posts giving carefully selected out of context quotes from the slymepit - starting off with Francs cunt-kick line - which didn't even originate here?
How about his immediater pouncing on that stupid troll-post of an Ophelia naked old lady photoshop.
And that was hardly his first foray into the identity politics arena, he's previously written attacks on both Woolly Bumblebee and Thunderf00t.

His 'dialogue' process seems specifically designed to avoid any talk of the behavior of the FTB crowd and is mired down in pedantic fussing by Svan.
The only tangeable thing the process has achieved is passing on Skep tickles identity to Svan - who has apparently given it to Ophurfucksake Benson to use as she desired.

So no, I don't buy into the idea that Nugent is some kind of fair neutral party.
You just wrote pretty much what I was going to write. I don't think he's been particularly neutral or fair so far. He's called out/focussed on certain posts at the 'Pit for scrutiny but hasn't done the same for the FTB crowd.

You know something? I don't think he'd dare. I really don't.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Lsuoma wrote:BTW, is the Thimbledick attempting doxxing:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/jtdo.jpg

(From: http://www.freezepage.com/1370832595QXAFDBXSNN) TBH, I can't tell anymore...
Oh no! Where's the couch?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Jack wrote: You may be right but I would also consider it to be an issue of Eire libel law which may be similar to the UK. A few comments made earlier brought up the fact that the US people may trip over these laws and Nugent is probably covering himself. Calling someone a liar was not allowed anyway there, he is restating that part.
That seems reasonable, but then it should be applicable to the FtBer's propensity to libel others as well. Of course Ophelia's the one who's being flown over to Eire to speak, and she's the one who's Skype-whinged to Nugent. Apart from Myers and Watson, the rest of us Merkins don't really matter, do we?

I'm not having a dig at you, Jack, but rather at the overall conference situation, which seems entirely slanted to placate Ophelia's narcissistic whims. I have to wonder what she demanded in order to feel "safe and welcome" enough to agree to continue with her all-expense-paid trip to Dublin. Ridiculous security measures? A personal security guard and massage therapist? Straightjacket and duct tape for Justin? It's absurd that anyone has to take that woman seriously.

treestump

Post by treestump »

Fascinating. Everyone should see this video:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... rveillance

I don't believe that 9/11 was an inside job, and I don't believe most of the New World Order stuff, but I don't think what this guy is saying can be ignored (many people say that an idea of "conspiracy" must be mocked, but conspiracies have been a part of the reality of all civilizations for all time, and I'd rather find out what's possible and what's not; to simply dismiss all possibility of 'conspiracies' is dogmatic foolishness). Government have always done what they want (and whatever they can get away with) and the 2-party system is a nonsense of course and I don't think that governments have ever really cared about the lives of the citizens (and I think that's just a cold hard reality of life for the past 5,000 years, just saying the word 'Democracy' doesn't mean freedom, goodness, and enlightenment by any means).

Basically, as the man says here, everything that Orwell said was right and it's not only *becoming* true, but very large parts of it are already with us, such as the "imaginary unending war" straight from 1984 to galvanise the people under Patriotism i.e. "The War on Terror", and the concept of a "Big Brother" absolute surveillance system, and the concept of the Totalitarian State masquerading as a Democracy as he talks about here.

What's fascinating about this is how calm he looks throughout the interview when he's almost certainly going to be executed or imprisoned for 800 years for this.

Note: They cut out the last part of the interview where he talks about how PZ Myers is one of the 3 'Global Puppeteer Architects' that controls all world politics. Sounds a bit far-fetched to me, as I believe that only Stephanie Zvan is the true secret ruler of the world. That dark baleful glint in her eye as she's eating pies gives it away I reckon.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

It would be nice to be able to post on Canuck's blog to defend myself, but...

Maybe I'll take the time after work to respond here. I do like this comment:
Stacy

June 9, 2013 at 9:04 pm CDT (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Oh, wow, I remember those assholes.

I loved how DW tried to defend Vacula by saying he isn’t really “associated with” AVfM, despite the evidence. It’s just that Vacula will use any group in his quest for self-promotion.

Leaving aside the idiotic refusal to acknowledge the meaning of the word “associate,” he provided a damning summation of his pal’s character. And didn’t realize it.
My "pal"? lol. We post at the same forum, we're not BFF's. Justin does self-promote quite a lot and this isn't news to anyone. He also doesn't seem to mind who he talks to, which may actually be a good thing is certain situations.

There are a few things that Justin has done in the last year that I don't think he has thought through. I wasn't going to give him money for Dublin, as I didn't really see a useful purpose for him being there. Until maiforpeace, Canuck's and anothers pile-on in that FB thread. All they had was his reposted article on Surly Amy (w/ commentary added, which I wasn't aware of, and admitted in that FB thread) at AVfM and his promise to give anyone an interview that donated to send him to WISC2, AVfM being one of those. Not once could anyone there provide evidence of Justin saying or posting anything anti-women, anti-feminist or sexist.

This pissed me off enough to click through and drop $25 on the donation page.