Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Old subthreads
windy

Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by windy »

sacha wrote: I don't think the SJWs were solely responsible for making FGM illegal, and I would hope that a vast majority of Australians supported the law against FGM, as they most certainly should have. I did state that I agree it should absolutely be illegal no matter what.

I was speaking of the SJWs participation in shaming and attacking and speaking to the women of the community as if they were children to be scolded. Behaving as though they are superior, and inherently better, and that they love their children more, because "how could you even consider mutilating a daughter that you claim to love"
These tactics only make the situation far worse, because what was once a practice that was common knowledge, and the who, where, and when the cuttings were taking place, all of that information was not difficult to find. Once they go into hiding with their practice, it will be a lot more difficult to have any information as an outsider, it is far less likely that the girl will be taken to the hospital if something goes wrong, and far more likely to either have severe adverse effects for life, or simply die without getting the necessary medical attention.
Making FGM illegal is quite obviously the right thing to do (and I agree), but shaming, attacking, and criminalising their deeply held beliefs without enough people to speak to the elders with respect, treat them with kindness, and be someone they could possibly trust enough to listen to the information you are telling them in a way that they will understand and relate to, encouraging them to take time to think about it on their own, and discuss it with their female relatives and friends. The only way to stop FGM is for the women of the community to decide that for themselves. empowerment of the women themselves is the only answer. It is the only thing that can stop FGM.
Thanks for clarifying- still, I'm not sure how much role shaming really has in driving the practice underground - I would assume that simply facing legal sanctions is a more significant factor?

On foot-binding as an analogy- didn't it ultimately end because of the strict ban enforced by the communists? :think:

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sacha wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
sacha wrote:

I used to say if he's not an old rock star...[snip] he probably does not have enough experience for me. That could be an exaggeration, except for the fact that the top three of all time are one of each.
*sigh* Story of my life...
when you are an old rock star, you will be happy there are women like me.
Oh, the things I could tell you about being a rock star!

I kissed a groupie in the backstage lounge once. Because she asked me to and I was single at the time. Mostly I just take care of organising my band's part of the show. Sorry to kill the legend.

And drinking, lots and lots of drinking.

What? When I was a rock 'star' at some stages I was 3 or 4 timing. I even managed to pick up two midget hitch hikers in the band van. This was while I was in a cock-rock band when my ideologically-sound punk rock band broke up due to a build up of ideological cognitive dissonances.

Sorry Sacha but the experiences were draining but that could have been from the drugs. Dunno. A very educational period in my life. No regrets.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://www.freezepage.com/1370980690NFHVHGCKKP

Another hilarious row amongst the pharyngulites.
PZ has a post making fun of MRA's (using a photoshopped picture! - Don't worry, it's OK when they do it) and the pharyngulanas start tearing chunks out of each other in the comment section.
Over hats.
Special prizes to Josh and Azkyroth for extra effort.
Only on Pharyngula could a serious argument occur about the inherent racism of a hat.

Laughing my arse off at the fact that"Ing The Eternal Moron" is actually in the process of throwing out all his fedoras.
I wonder if he'll chuck out all his shoes because Hitler was known to own a pair?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:Video games are for children.
Wotchoosay muthafucka?

Does this game look childish to you?:
http://www.gamesasylum.com/wp-content/u ... eogame.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Mykeru wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
cunt wrote:Video games are for children.
Awww you poor dear. Somehow I have this feeling that your issue is that you just suck at them.
Absolutely untrue.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/media/gcn/ ... kitty1.jpg

I'm told Cunt kicks ass and takes names in Hello Kitty Island Adventure.
It's these sorts of videogames that are destroying our rose-tinted society. I stopped my kids playing "Viva-Pinata" because of the racist undertones.
http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article ... 05-000.jpg

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

mordacious1 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:We're all going on a, summer holiday...

http://i.imgur.com/9EmhNS9.jpg
Are those Fluevogs on Vacula's feet? And why is Beccy eating? I'm sure AI has to cover her bartab on the flight over or she wouldn't come. I'm surprised she doesn't have a drink in each hand.
Quotes from "Blazing Saddles": Bart: A man drink like that and he don't eat, he is going to die. Jim: When?
Bart: Maybe you should eat something first. Jim: No, thanks. Food makes me sick.

Sound like anyone we know?
And oh, it looks like PZ lost some weight *snort*.
This pic is so full of lulz.
A belated by the way, is Justin eating pineapple slices?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

zenbabe wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:We're all going on a, summer holiday...

http://i.imgur.com/9EmhNS9.jpg
Are those Fluevogs on Vacula's feet? And why is Beccy eating? I'm sure AI has to cover her bartab on the flight over or she wouldn't come. I'm surprised she doesn't have a drink in each hand.
Quotes from "Blazing Saddles": Bart: A man drink like that and he don't eat, he is going to die. Jim: When?
Bart: Maybe you should eat something first. Jim: No, thanks. Food makes me sick.

Sound like anyone we know?
And oh, it looks like PZ lost some weight *snort*.
And does St. Ophie have a halo?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Unmoderated= Moderated
Atheism= Social justice
Feminism= Humanism
Disagreement=Harassment
Happy= Very angry

Anybody care to add to the list of Myerisms?
Coffee = Rape
Ophelia Benson = Sane
Cauliflowers = Rape
Rebecca Watson = Sexually Desirable
Blogging= Activism
Blogging = Work
Morris Minnesota Community College and Hairdressing School = Oxford University
Tentacle Rape Hentai = Empowerment of non-white, non-penis having cis-persons (and a reason to buy more kleenex)
Mykeru = The Illumnati
Photoshop = Rape
The Patriarchy = An actual theory
Lists = Rape

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Steersman wrote:
sacha wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
I had to Google what a MGTOW was. I have learnt that you need to remove the prop shaft before towing your MG any distance.
hahahaha!

this is my favourite era for cars:

1962 MG (not my colour)
http://www.sportscarshop.com/wordpress/ ... raight.jpg
<snip>
Thanks for the memories. Had a second-hand one those - blue - some 40 years ago; twas indeed a blast.
I'll confess a long held weakness for the MGA. Never owned one, though. I do have this, the most 'he-man' (aka: misogynistic) of the British sports cars:
Triumph_TR6_p2.JPG
(53.79 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
zenbabe wrote:
Justin eating pineapple?
No wonder Ophelia looks so annoyed.

Ophelia's 'halo' is just a wall marking but yes, it does look like kind of 'saintly' around her head.

The biggest obvious mistake with the picture is having Rebecca eating food rather than downing a giant margarita.

welch

Post by welch »

I will say I enjoy Ally's style because he helps create a more useful atmosphere for his comments, which is why I comment there.

It also helps keep disagreements at the discussion level and not the globalthermonuclear war level. Sally Strange of course, pops in to be, well, herself, but by and large, the normal angry gibbering on all sides is muted there. It's a good example of how to do things well.

Southern

Post by Southern »

welch wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:So Anita Sarkeesian wrote this:

Above is a tweet I made this afternoon in reaction to the fact that none of the games presented at Microsoft’s Xbox One E3 press conference featured female protagonists. Below are some of the Twitter replies to that observation which exemplify the male privilege and male entitlement endemic in the gaming community today. This is also a window into what it’s like to be a female video game critic on twitter.
It's tribalism. The gaming community is really bad at any form of criticism. The reaction to the Wii when it came out and destroyed everyone else for years in terms of sales showed that. The reaction to the Wii was pretty much the same.

The fact they are using the commentary they are is because she's female. If she were male, and known to be gay, it would be homophobic.

It's a fucking stupid reaction, I mean, seriously, but the content is a vector, nothing more.
You don't troll with gentle words, neither attacking things the person being trolled is not (unless you're really trying to derail a conversation). The most basic form of trolling is: take what the person is, and run wild with it.

You don't even need to be consistent - actually, the less consistent you are, the better. Berating somebody for being a Jew and five minutes later berating someone else for being a Nazi apologist is perfectly good trolling, specially if you keep a serious face all along and know how to do the "transition". I knew a guy that was an expert on doing that - it helped the fucker was also verbose as hell, and people usually wouldn't catch the gist of it because they were taking him seriously.

I was thiking of creating a Twitter account just to send Anita this: "I dream of eating your pussy, but it must be so dirty, I would get mouth cancer faster than Michael Douglas". At least is better "trolling evidence" than whatever shit she's showing now...

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
zenbabe wrote:
Justin eating pineapple?

Ophelia's 'halo' is just a wall marking but yes, it does look like kind of 'saintly' around her head.

The biggest obvious mistake with the picture is having Rebecca eating food rather than downing a giant margarita.
Someone needs to photoshop that scene from the Godfather, but replace the horse head with a pineapple.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:
treestump wrote: One overarching rule though: never, EVER, post a link to the Slymepit, that will get you a ban.

This is Thunderdome, the unmoderated open thread on Pharyngula. Say what you want, how you want.
I don't think the word "unmoderated" means what he thinks it means.
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upload ... 338204.jpg

Unmoderated= Moderated
Atheism= Social justice
Feminism= Humanism
Disagreement=Harassment
Happy= Very angry

Censorship = Freedom of Speech
Belief = Skepticism
Criticism = Shitheadery
Napster = Bad, Beer = Good

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

zenbabe wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote:
treestump wrote: One overarching rule though: never, EVER, post a link to the Slymepit, that will get you a ban.

This is Thunderdome, the unmoderated open thread on Pharyngula. Say what you want, how you want.
I don't think the word "unmoderated" means what he thinks it means.

Unmoderated= Moderated
Atheism= Social justice
Feminism= Humanism
Disagreement=Harassment
Happy= Very angry

Belief = Skepticism
Criticism = Shitheadery
http://i.imgur.com/qtqkKI5.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Social Justice= Judging a person's personality based on their appearance and clothing.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

With impressive speed, a new member of the A+ forum introduces himself, is criticised for ableism, and promptly departs.

Got to love the increasing use of "microaggression".

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

I just realised why they don't like dick-shun-aries.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

"Anybody who wears denim is an anarcho-syndicalist.
Don't like it? Blame the anarcho-syndicalist's for co-opting jeans."

-Josh The Official Spokesgay, professional mong.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Jonathan wrote:With impressive speed, a new member of the A+ forum introduces himself, is criticised for ableism, and promptly departs.

Microaggression is the new flavour-of-the-month. They discover (invent) a new word and shoe-horn it into every comment they make.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
zenbabe wrote:
Justin eating pineapple?

I thought her gleefully stabbing a little itty bitty sausage was pretty good though, considering the return to the site of elevatorgate. And anyway the overriding subtext with her is always about party hard drunkenness.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Jonathan wrote:With impressive speed, a new member of the A+ forum introduces himself, is criticised for ableism, and promptly departs.

You have to hand it to them. They're like a well-oiled machine at this point.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Gefan wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Unmoderated= Moderated
Atheism= Social justice
Feminism= Humanism
Disagreement=Harassment
Happy= Very angry

Coffee = Rape
Ophelia Benson = Sane
Cauliflowers = Rape
Rebecca Watson = Sexually Desirable
Blogging= Activism
Blogging = Work
Morris Minnesota Community College and Hairdressing School = Oxford University
Tentacle Rape Hentai = Empowerment of non-white, non-penis having cis-persons (and a reason to buy more kleenex)
Mykeru = The Illumnati
Photoshop = Rape
The Patriarchy = An actual theory
Lists = Rape
Dongle jokes = Ear rape.
Elevator = Vertically moving rape box.
Fedora = Standard issue raping helmet.
Thunderf00t = The poster child for the pro-rape movement.
The Slymepit = An online "how to" rape resource.

;)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Poe.

windy

Post by windy »

treestump wrote:so Myers always had his "Thunderdome". As far as I could understand, his system was, if you were a real person you were allowed on the full forums, if he disliked what you said you would be banished to the Thunderdome, From there, you could be readmitted to "real person" status, or FLOOSHED to the Dungeon; it's a pathetic system out of the mind of a childish control-freak.

But now, he seems to be rebranding the Thunderdome as a copy of the Slymepit and making it unmoderated, and opens a new thread every month or so. It's the usual stuff, boring, with the occasional massive flame wars over Patriarchy and rape-culture and how interesting it is that FTBullies are relatively so much smarter than people in other walks of life (I actually saw this talked about in a Pharyngula thread).
No, originally there was one endless thread that was unmoderated (as far as it goes). Due to near toxic levels of butthurt accumulating among the regulars over time, the flamewars were split into their own thread (Zombie thread, later Thunderdome) from the moderated "safe space" thread.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Ah, Violent PZ.

Here's his partner, Shaggy Too Drunk.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ezt24UszRvM/T ... Watson.jpg

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

has there been no concern expressed for twatson's mental health? she is being forced to return to the site where she was attacked by A.I. If they aren't MRA scumbags trying to trigger a flashback in Beccy, then they at the least should have used a differnt Hotel, if not city. This glaring act makes me certain they are misogynist creeps. You wouldn't expect a soldier to go back to the spot he had his legs blown off and not be affected.

I hope she takes the stairs this time, i know she's brave, but i think it's too much to ask of her to face the horror of that cage she was assaulted in. Lets all send our sisterly strength to her so that she can climb those stairs to freedom without too much emotional turmoil. the cost of it all, i think i need to throw up, they just don't care.

beckyboos we love you

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Lsuoma wrote:

Poe.
Could well be. Although such overreactions are hardly unusual over there.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Gefan wrote:Here's his partner, Shaggy Too Drunk.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Ezt24UszRvM/T ... Watson.jpg
That really caught me off guard.

My pants.

I almost pissed them.

some guy

Post by some guy »

zenbabe wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
jjbinx007 wrote: I don't think the word "unmoderated" means what he thinks it means.

Unmoderated= Moderated
Atheism= Social justice
Feminism= Humanism
Disagreement=Harassment
Happy= Very angry

Belief = Skepticism
Criticism = Shitheadery
hypocrisy = consistency
rules all must follow = rules others must follow
ad hominem = personally attacking *me*
Logical = my argument
Fallacy = your argument
Truth = what I believe
doing something important = tweeting 24/7
proper citation = sources that support *my* position

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Haha, good one Gefan.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Jonathan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Poe.
And I see colon oils around to stick his tongue up the mods' collective cracks. The day he gets mod power over there, the cum-tsunami will be unbelievable (unless he's not already been completely emasculated).

He's definitely sad enough to be modified, but is he vicious enough?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

windy wrote:
sacha wrote: I don't think the SJWs were solely responsible for making FGM illegal, and I would hope that a vast majority of Australians supported the law against FGM, as they most certainly should have. I did state that I agree it should absolutely be illegal no matter what.

I was speaking of the SJWs participation in shaming and attacking and speaking to the women of the community as if they were children to be scolded. Behaving as though they are superior, and inherently better, and that they love their children more, because "how could you even consider mutilating a daughter that you claim to love"
These tactics only make the situation far worse, because what was once a practice that was common knowledge, and the who, where, and when the cuttings were taking place, all of that information was not difficult to find. Once they go into hiding with their practice, it will be a lot more difficult to have any information as an outsider, it is far less likely that the girl will be taken to the hospital if something goes wrong, and far more likely to either have severe adverse effects for life, or simply die without getting the necessary medical attention.
Making FGM illegal is quite obviously the right thing to do (and I agree), but shaming, attacking, and criminalising their deeply held beliefs without enough people to speak to the elders with respect, treat them with kindness, and be someone they could possibly trust enough to listen to the information you are telling them in a way that they will understand and relate to, encouraging them to take time to think about it on their own, and discuss it with their female relatives and friends. The only way to stop FGM is for the women of the community to decide that for themselves. empowerment of the women themselves is the only answer. It is the only thing that can stop FGM.
Thanks for clarifying- still, I'm not sure how much role shaming really has in driving the practice underground - I would assume that simply facing legal sanctions is a more significant factor?

On foot-binding as an analogy- didn't it ultimately end because of the strict ban enforced by the communists? :think:
Bolded especially QFT.

Re "shaming" - IMO this is particularly important in efforts to reduce any practice assessed from outside as harmful in countries where it's the norm. Presumably well-meaning Westerners seem to think they can descend on a country or group, lecture them about how wrong their deeply held cultural/religious practice is, and have people see the light & stop. (Surprise: that doesn't work, and generates resentment and even backlash, can drive the practice underground & even have it become a rallying point for the culture.)

I wrote about FGM here in 12/2012 (in response to a post by OB):
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=73&start=34050#p36041

including linking (or trying) to this NYTimes article about some success in Senegal and analogy to footbinding:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/world ... .html?_r=0
Skep tickle wrote:
NYTimes wrote:...after moving to China in 1887, [Mrs Little] researched foot binding and discovered that a congregation’s public pledge to end the practice had worked. Parents pledging neither to bind their daughters’ feet nor to allow their sons to marry women with bound feet ultimately ended the practice within a generation, Professor Mackie wrote.
Foot-binding didn't end quickly just because of this one effort. It took about 75 years, apparently starting with Christian missionaries and persisting through several attempts to ban the practice before this public pledge approach worked (apparently in concert with a ban on the practice).

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Social Justice= Judging a person's personality based on their appearance and clothing.
As opposed to a couple of comments they might make on a blog.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote: http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upload ... 338204.jpg

Unmoderated= Moderated
Atheism= Social justice
Feminism= Humanism
Disagreement=Harassment
Happy= Very angry

War is Peace
Hate is Love
Freedom is Slavery...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
Jonathan wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

Poe.
And I see colon oils around to stick his tongue up the mods' collective cracks. The day he gets mod power over there, the cum-tsunami will be unbelievable (unless he's not already been completely emasculated).

He's definitely sad enough to be modified, but is he vicious enough?
Speaking of Oolon.....Do ya know how there are two Oolon's, one on either side of this great divide? One is the guy we all know and pity and the other is a bloke who goes by the name Oolon Colluphid (who made this lulzy, top-rated entry on Urban Dictionary http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... ism%20Plus ). Now, I remember somebody saying that both those Oolon's *coincidentally* come from the same area of the UK. Does anybody know if there's any truth to that?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Parsehole

Dunno if the other Oolon comes from the same area as the Oolon we know and love, but other Oolon is aware of Poltroolon, and has made his feelings clear here: http://ooloncolluphid.deviantart.com/ar ... -332487579

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:@Parsehole

Dunno if the other Oolon comes from the same area as the Oolon we know and love, but other Oolon is aware of Poltroolon, and has made his feelings clear here: http://ooloncolluphid.deviantart.com/ar ... -332487579
Ah, OK. That goes someway to pissing on my theory then.......Maybe.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

@Parsehole

What, that jerk Oolon is the same person as berk Oolon?

windy

Post by windy »

Skep tickle wrote:
windy wrote: On foot-binding as an analogy- didn't it ultimately end because of the strict ban enforced by the communists? :think:
Bolded especially QFT.

Re "shaming" - IMO this is particularly important in efforts to reduce any practice assessed from outside as harmful in countries where it's the norm. Presumably well-meaning Westerners seem to think they can descend on a country or group, lecture them about how wrong their deeply held cultural/religious practice is, and have people see the light & stop. (Surprise: that doesn't work, and generates resentment and even backlash, can drive the practice underground & even have it become a rallying point for the culture.)

including linking (or trying) to this NYTimes article about some success in Senegal and analogy to footbinding:
Skep tickle wrote:
NYTimes wrote:...after moving to China in 1887, [Mrs Little] researched foot binding and discovered that a congregation’s public pledge to end the practice had worked. Parents pledging neither to bind their daughters’ feet nor to allow their sons to marry women with bound feet ultimately ended the practice within a generation, Professor Mackie wrote.
Foot-binding didn't end quickly just because of this one effort. It took about 75 years, apparently starting with Christian missionaries and persisting through several attempts to ban the practice before this public pledge approach worked (apparently in concert with a ban on the practice).
And these Christian missionaries didn't descend on a country or group and lecture them about how wrong their deeply held cultural/religious practice is? ;)

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Lsuoma wrote:franc would be proud.
Sheesh. That's a timely link plopped into a conversation frolicking around PZ definitions.
From the article Lsuoma linked:
Last year, Ms Gillard sparked headlines around the world with a fiery speech in parliament accusing Mr Abbott of misogyny - a move that prompted Australia's leading dictionary to redefine the word.
I live under a rock, so this news is new to me.
Here's an article about what changed

SJWs know about this and rejoice, don't they?
Creepy Clown worthy action right there.

From the article I linked:
But the decision to alter the "misogyny" definition by the Macquarie Dictionary – a dictionary of Australian English which sets standard usage in courts and schools – was described as alarming and extraordinary by the Opposition.

"It would seem more logical for the prime minister to refine her vocabulary than for the Macquarie Dictionary to keep changing its definitions every time a politician mangles the English language," said an Opposition MP, Fiona Nash.
/wincelaugh

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@Tigzy
Yeah. He seems to change his personality and vocabulary depending on the forum/blog so I was just wondering how far he may have taken it.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Zenspace wrote: The utter absence of even a trace of self-awareness and humility in Svan's post is both distressing and disturbing, and that's before one even gets into the pure wrongness of it. It reeks of psychotic levels of self-justification.
I'm starting to suspect a new strategy on the part of the baboons. They're trying to put us out of business by making it impossible to parody them.
The Stephalump's the latest one on the bandwagon but I first became suspicious with Yemisi's "eco-sexual" poetry.
I've tried writing a parody of that for a video on which I'm working. I couldn't do it - I doubt anyone can.
Yemmi has inspired me to write some stochastic poetry but I admit my efforts can come no where near touching her work.
I posted a poem in the comments to one of her entries in a response to a comment left by oolon. Yemmi was somewhat critical of my effort.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/yemmynistin ... less-love/

Stepping In It
I stepped in some dog oolon this morning
It was hidden in the grass, gave me no warning
I scraped at it with a little stick
The smell nearly made me sick
You say that...
If I...
Stumbled on a watch I'd assume it had a watchmaker,
That a muffin presupposes a baker,
So you must agree sooner or later,
That this proves that there's a creator.
So if I put my foot in a stinker,
You'd assume the existence of a sphincter,
Thus you don't need to be a great thinker
To conclude that God's a bum.
I tip my hat to a true master of stochastic poetry!! :clap:
That's not me, that's Tim Minchin.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Za-zen wrote:...I hope she takes the stairs this time, i know she's brave, but i think it's too much to ask of her to face the horror of that cage she was assaulted in. Lets all send our sisterly strength to her so that she can climb those stairs to freedom without too much emotional turmoil. the cost of it all, i think i need to throw up, they just don't care. ...
I know you're joking, but AFAIK she has not portrayed the elevator incident like this, unless the way she has referred to it has changed over time. (Which of course is possible; I haven't been taking detailed notes.) I haven't had the impression that she feels fearful of interactions with men (IRL at least), rather that she tried to express such interactions can come across and to point out how much gratuitous sexualized drivel some women, at least, receive (online at least).

Her (initial) description of the elevator episode and her "guys don't do that" were both pretty straightforward and level-headed IMO. Many women have agreed that being approached in an elevator, even if everyone's on good behavior, adds a tension regarding personal safety that's less if not absent in other settings.

AFAIK what lit the keg was her presenting (from the stage, at the start of a keynote talk that was supposed to be about how Religion treats women, after a couple of slides of examples of nasty troll comments that she treated with humor), Stef McGraw's commentary on RW's vlog comments as a prime example of "misogyny" in the skeptic community.

*ducks from flying tomatoes for bringing this up*

Dave

Post by Dave »

There is nothing micro about their aggression. :D

Altair

Post by Altair »

Skep tickle wrote: I know you're joking, but AFAIK she has not portrayed the elevator incident like this, unless the way she has referred to it has changed over time. (Which of course is possible; I haven't been taking detailed notes.) I haven't had the impression that she feels fearful of interactions with men (IRL at least), rather that she tried to express such interactions can come across and to point out how much gratuitous sexualized drivel some women, at least, receive (online at least).

Her (initial) description of the elevator episode and her "guys don't do that" were both pretty straightforward and level-headed IMO. Many women have agreed that being approached in an elevator, even if everyone's on good behavior, adds a tension regarding personal safety that's less if not absent in other settings.

AFAIK what lit the keg was her presenting (from the stage, at the start of a keynote talk that was supposed to be about how Religion treats women, after a couple of slides of examples of nasty troll comments that she treated with humor), Stef McGraw's commentary on RW's vlog comments as a prime example of "misogyny" in the skeptic community.

Despite me thinking that the "Guys don't do that" sounded too much like an unilateral order that applies to all men and all women, which is something she has no authority to do, and would have sounded better as a suggestion, I have to agree with the rest of what you said.

I don't have any tomatoes, but here are three porcupines for you :D

http://pandazen.files.wordpress.com/200 ... upines.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

windy wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
windy wrote: On foot-binding as an analogy- didn't it ultimately end because of the strict ban enforced by the communists? :think:
<snip>

Skep tickle wrote:
And these Christian missionaries didn't descend on a country or group and lecture them about how wrong their deeply held cultural/religious practice is? ;)
I don't know enough about the history. Christian missionaries might well have tried lecturing, but "public pledge" implies that parents bought into the new vision of how to treat and raise their own children.

Another little clip from the NYT article (the aha moment, supposedly, of someone working on reducing FGM reading about footbinding):
“I went nuts!” Ms. Melching said of her reaction after reading Professor Mackie’s article. “Here’s our answer: it has to be a collective pledge.”
A pledge doesn't seem like something you could force people into, or at least it wouldn't have any meaningful effect if that's how their pledge was obtained.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Skepticon is such a tease

Conferences by PZ Myers

Skepticon likes to tantalize you, dribbling out speaker names a few at a time. Last week they told us that Aron Ra, Amanda Knief (who has a new book out, with Barry Lynn: The Citizen Lobbyist), and Amanda Marcotte will be there — we’re off to a great start! This week, it’s Debbie Goddard! Rebecca Hensler! Richard Carrier! And…me. It’s OK, you gotta sprinkle in some boring old drones to make the highlights sparkle more.
As I mentioned yesterday, Skepticon is the high energy fun con of the year. You should go. You should especially go if you want to learn how to put together a well-managed, exciting con on a budget — I’d like to see more of these things spring up all over the country.
Speaker names are not the only things being dribbled. MOAR CONS! MOAR CONS that will invite me and my friends as speakers!

Also, high energy? He must have a different definition.
Skepticon is notorious for recycling the same speakers every single year, with a small amount of variation.
I think PeeZus and Carrier have been at every one and Watson has been at all apart from the first.
It is their private club party.

http://skepticon.org/speakers/
Didn't Peezus publicly divorce himself from skepticism? Why is he speaking at Skepticon?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I'm looking forward to Carriers talk at Skepticon, A Bayesian Analysis of CHUDS.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

katamari Damassi wrote: Didn't Peezus publicly divorce himself from skepticism? Why is he speaking at Skepticon?
Typical Slymepit behaviour. Using things PZ said in the past against him. Is it any wonder people don't visit here?

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

maybe one of them has a goatee, ala:

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/19177000/ng ... 0954cc.jpg

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... h-a-tease/
As I mentioned yesterday, Skepticon is the high energy fun con of the year. You should go. You should especially go if you want to learn how to put together a well-managed, exciting con on a budget — I’d like to see more of these things spring up all over the country.
What?! This coming from a man who said LAST MONTH:
I officially divorce myself from the skeptic movement
and
it is clear that “scientific skepticism” is simply a crippled, buggered version of science
and
So don’t call me a “skeptic”. I’ll consider it an insult, like calling a writer a stenographer, a comedian a mime, a doctor a faith healer, a scientist a technician. I’m out.
But why the sudden turn around? PZ Explains:
If it helps, this boring old drone already has his talk subject picked out: I’m going to be discussing the Cambrian Explosion, since it seems to be the emerging cause of the year for the creationists.
Ohh right! So you officially divorce yourself of the skeptic movement until you get a paid gig. Is there anything you won't contradict yourself over?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

katamari Damassi wrote:I'm looking forward to Carriers talk at Skepticon, A Bayesian Analysis of CHUDS.
Don't forget:
"On the irrelevance of Youtube ratings and comments and how they don't bother me. At all. I'm super serious."

jjbinx007

Post by jjbinx007 »

katamari Damassi wrote:I'm looking forward to Carriers talk at Skepticon, A Bayesian Analysis of CHUDS.
Sounds like a tour de farce.

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:
Za-zen wrote:...I hope she takes the stairs this time, i know she's brave, but i think it's too much to ask of her to face the horror of that cage she was assaulted in. Lets all send our sisterly strength to her so that she can climb those stairs to freedom without too much emotional turmoil. the cost of it all, i think i need to throw up, they just don't care. ...
I know you're joking, but AFAIK she has not portrayed the elevator incident like this, unless the way she has referred to it has changed over time. (Which of course is possible; I haven't been taking detailed notes.) I haven't had the impression that she feels fearful of interactions with men (IRL at least), rather that she tried to express such interactions can come across and to point out how much gratuitous sexualized drivel some women, at least, receive (online at least).

I never had a problem with how she personally felt.

I had a problem with her, PeeZus and the rest saying that if you didn't completely agree with her, you were/are a bad person.

She gets to have her feelings on any issue. She does not get to require everyone to agree with them.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Altair wrote:Despite me thinking that the "Guys don't do that" sounded too much like an unilateral order that applies to all men and all women, which is something she has no authority to do, and would have sounded better as a suggestion, I have to agree with the rest of what you said.
Yeah but when has she ever stated her opinion as a suggestion rather than a statement? (That's a broad statement and of course there may be counterexamples, but she presents as a confident person, making confident-sounding statements, including - as in her evopsych talk - when presenting a picture that's not complete or contains bias.)

If I may make a broad generalization, women tend to use more qualifying and checking words ("weasel words"?) in speech, including when presenting their opinions - allowing for others to have other opinions, checking for feedback, etc. Like, "I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but..." (though I know where that phrase has been attributed in all of this). Rebecca Watson doesn't seem to do that, or does it less than whatever seems to be seen as the norm. (And, see how many times I did it here: "if I may", "seem..seems...")

So IMO her saying "Guys, don't do that" was simply an in-character way for her to state her opinion/advice.
Altair wrote:I don't have any tomatoes, but here are three porcupines for you :D

Aww, cute! And they look quite manageable, size-wise!

(But I'm going to guess those are actually hedgehogs)

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Ericb wrote:

maybe one of them has a goatee, ala:

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/19177000/ng ... 0954cc.jpg
Or maybe a more oolonesque disguise?
http://weknowmemes.com/generator/upload ... 257536.jpg

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Skep tickle wrote:
Altair wrote:Despite me thinking that the "Guys don't do that" sounded too much like an unilateral order that applies to all men and all women, which is something she has no authority to do, and would have sounded better as a suggestion, I have to agree with the rest of what you said.
Yeah but when has she ever stated her opinion as a suggestion rather than a statement? (That's a broad statement and of course there may be counterexamples, but she presents as a confident person, making confident-sounding statements, including - as in her evopsych talk - when presenting a picture that's not complete or contains bias.)

If I may make a broad generalization, women tend to use more qualifying and checking words ("weasel words"?) in speech, including when presenting their opinions - allowing for others to have other opinions, checking for feedback, etc. Like, "I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but..." (though I know where that phrase has been attributed in all of this). Rebecca Watson doesn't seem to do that, or does it less than whatever seems to be seen as the norm. (And, see how many times I did it here: "if I may", "seem..seems...")

So IMO her saying "Guys, don't do that" was simply an in-character way for her to state her opinion/advice.
Altair wrote:I don't have any tomatoes, but here are three porcupines for you :D

AKA, Peezus Gerbils.

Altair

Post by Altair »

Skep tickle wrote: Yeah but when has she ever stated her opinion as a suggestion rather than a statement? (That's a broad statement and of course there may be counterexamples, but she presents as a confident person, making confident-sounding statements, including - as in her evopsych talk - when presenting a picture that's not complete or contains bias.)

Makes sense, it's more of a personal reaction to/perception of her words, but your point that it was meant as advice makes sense. I don't remember who said it first, but it would have worked better if she said "Don't do that to ME".
Skep tickle wrote:

I honestly have no idea, google images says they're porcupines. Dammit, Skeptickle, I'm a software developer, not a porcupineologist!
(Knowing you're actually a doctor makes that McCoy line funnier in my head :lol: )