Re: Jim the Pleb Made Me Do It

Post by Submariner »

Jeremy Stangroom tweeted this link. After re-reading it he called it "chilling"

http://www.tu.ac.th/org/grad/master/pdf ... 5B1%5D.pdf

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Jan Steen wrote:
Gumby wrote: I don't think of women as toilets, Ophie. But seeing as how you're the one who brought it up... why do you think of women as toilets?
I recall reading about this remarkable notion on I Blame the Patriarchy, the blog of radfem Twisty Faster. If I remember correctly (don't ask me to go back there, please) it was brought up in the context of a man ejaculating inside a woman without a condom. Then he is, apparently, using the woman as a toilet.

These people are strange, very strange.
Yes, a man ejaculating inside a woman. And then nine months later, a baby is born. And that baby is called Twisty. And Twisty grows up be an ungrateful, horrible cunt.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uuCqsyqQObY/S ... egaman.jpg

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Walter Ego wrote: Yeah, fuck you too asshole.
Please check your PM's.

JAB

Post by JAB »

sacha wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: If Westeros really wanted to get its shit together it would be ruled by Tywin Lannister(completely amoral but the smartest character on the show) and by Olenna Tyrell(the second smartest character on the show).
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3207/6yvz.png
Emma Peel - she was hot
Ah, Mrs. Peel. It pissed me off to no end a little while ago when a movie manipulatively named "The Avengers" came out with no Emma Peel character in sight.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Cunning Punt wrote: You mean like this?

http://i.imgur.com/iE3zKQN.jpg
I'm not sure why the pic above makes you think of toilets (ok, I can guess and I'd be right). All I think of when I look at that is that I'm generally all for chocolate covered blondes.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Jan Steen wrote:
Gumby wrote: I don't think of women as toilets, Ophie. But seeing as how you're the one who brought it up... why do you think of women as toilets?
I recall reading about this remarkable notion on I Blame the Patriarchy, the blog of radfem Twisty Faster. If I remember correctly (don't ask me to go back there, please) it was brought up in the context of a man ejaculating inside a woman without a condom. Then he is, apparently, using the woman as a toilet.

Toilets? Who the hell thinks of women as toilets? Everyone knows it is official 'pit dogma that all women are cum dumpsters.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Submariner wrote:Tune in tomorrow to see if I make a complete fool of myself.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/chill_girl ... subman-usn
I'll enjoy listening. That assuming I cancel the orgy I have planned but hey, what the hell, an old man's gotta have fun on a weekend.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Sulaco wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Oleana Redwyne or whatever the fuck her name is is the best. IMHO.
Tyrell not Redwyne. Although, did they change her name for the show? I can't remember now. Anyway, the Queen of Thorns is an awesome character. She's even better in the books if you haven't read them already. Even Little Finger has a lot of respect for her.

Her, The Imp, The Spider and Little Finger are all my favorite characters.
Ooh, I always thought her name was Redwyne although I knew she was a Tyrell. I like the Tyrells and the Freys. And Brienne.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan Steen wrote:

Very strange indeed.

Some years ago I was channel-surfing and on Oprah's show some shrill feminist harpy was ranting that a man's ejaculate was "toxic waste", and she was encouraging women not to become "toxic waste dumps".

What's toxic waste is the hate-filled mentality many of these extremists have.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Tribble wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote: I think you don't realize that Rayshul is from New Zealand (correct me if I'm wrong, R.) She is talking about anti-Americanism, which would have peaked during the Bush years for obvious reasons.
You are correct. I did not know. Which makes everything she wrote make a crap-ton more sense.
I was living in Europe for most of that time and a bit in Australia but yeah. Pretty impressive shit racism wise.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:But then I dropped a friend completely because I it was just going to be a matter of time before I made a move on her, and the only way to avoid it was to have nothing to do with both of them.
Hand, fingers, eyes faster than. Let me reword that so it makes sense:

But then I dropped a friend completely because it was just going to be a matter of time before I made a move on his wife, and the only way to avoid it was to have nothing to do with both of them.
Um...wait, what? How is it you can't not make a move on someone? It's a really fucking simple thing to not do.
I dunno. Some people are really hot and you're like, fuck, if I get a bit drunk one evening I am going to fuck some shit up for serious.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Taslima shows her ignorance of biology as well: blame men for menopause.

The last section is really confusing (and stupid) :
I was never convinced by the grandmother theory anyway. The ‘older women are for taking care of younger women’s children’ theory always sounds strange to me. I would have convinced if there were a grandfather theory as well. Grandfathers also take care of their grandchildren. Don’t they? After having menopause an average woman goes on to live for another 30 years. It is more than enough time to raise children. This extended longevity – plus later childbirth – could potentially alter the timing of the menopause, over a significant ‘period of time, researchers believe. They say, ‘the social system is changing. There are women who are starting families later, because of education or a career.This trend would mean those women would have a later menopause, and those genes would be passed on to their daughters with the possibility of menopausal age being delayed.’ Yes, it would take unbelievably long time because our social structure is by all means patriarchal. Patriarchal system has been indoctrinating men to marry younger women and women to marry older men. As long as poverty and patriarchy exist, men would continue marrying much younger women, they might not even stop marrying female children. Child marriage is becoming illegal, raping children is so increasing in many societies.
WTF? Is this a language issue? Patriarchy is telling men to marry younger women, and either encourages child marriage, or raping children if that is illegal? And she says child rape is increasing?
Women experience a major, rapid change in fertility as they menopause. But men’s changes are not very significant. ‘Testicular tissue mass decreases and the level of the male sex hormone testosterone stays the same or decreases very slightly. There may be problems with erectile function. But it is still a general slowing, rather than a complete lack of function. The tubes that carry sperm may become less elastic. The testes continue to produce sperm, but the rate of sperm cell production slows. The epididymis, seminal vesicles, and prostate gland lose some of their surface cells but continue to produce the fluid that helps carry sperm.Bit in case of women, It is an end of fertility. The body no longer makes female hormones after menopause. Hormone replacement therapy is dangerous. It causes cancer.
But childbirth is stressful on the body, and as we age, the ability to live through childbirth decreases. However, maybe menopause is similar to some other problems with aging - once they pass reproductive age, there aren't forces acting to reduce detrimental genes. Men can still procreate, so there is some pressure to eliminate deleterious genes. Maybe the women who maintained fertility longer didn't survive, and gradually those genes passed out of the gene pool. With increasing health care and women waiting longer, the process may reverse, and menopause may gradually start happening later. However, this is looking at a strictly human situation. What are other animals like? Do they stay fertile all their life? If we look at creatures of similar relative ages (adjusted for lifespan), what are they like? Maybe this developed or evolved long before we split off as a species. Just tossing ideas out there.
Not necessarily nature, it is society dominated by men that has given men the privileges to mate with younger women which is the reason for them being fertile forever and suffer from different health problems much less than women of the same age. Because of menopause or lack of hormones, women suffer from Osteoporosis,Heart disease, Poor bladder and bowel function,Poor brain function (increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease), Poor skin elasticity (increased wrinkling), Poor muscle power and tone, Some deterioration in vision, such as from cataracts (clouding of the lens of the eye) etc. Women do not deserve to suffer from these diseases.
Well, what the hell does "deserve" have to do with anything? I can see her blaming Patriarchy for all the problems, that just seems to fit her ideology, but does she think that morality has anything to do with reality? The universe doesn't care who deserves what. People get cancer - children get cancer, or are born with genetic diseases that kill them slowly, with great pain. Do they deserve it? It's a nonsensical question (or statement). Maybe she is just expressing her emotions there and I'm reading it wrong. I'd have to say that most of the things she lists are not limited to women - men suffer from such things too. Not sure about osteoporosis - that may be more prevalent in women - but the rest are common to all humanity (and some of our non-human relatives as well). I guess to get a real sense of that, we'd have to look at the incidence in the different sexes and ages to see what the statistics are.

All in all, I just think this paper is going to show where ideology trumps science.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

There's an increase in incidence of weird births too the older you get, like twins/multiples or genetic problems.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:But then I dropped a friend completely because I it was just going to be a matter of time before I made a move on her, and the only way to avoid it was to have nothing to do with both of them.

But then I dropped a friend completely because it was just going to be a matter of time before I made a move on his wife, and the only way to avoid it was to have nothing to do with both of them.
Um...wait, what? How is it you can't not make a move on someone? It's a really fucking simple thing to not do.
Rystefnitis.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Apples wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

Toilets? Who the hell thinks of women as toilets? Everyone knows it is official 'pit dogma that all women are cum dumpsters.
Quote-mining machinery: roll out!

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Please check your PM's.
Not to continue this but you are laboring under the mistaken perception that I have confessed to being mentally ill. I have not. When I said I was in bad shape mentally, I meant I am totally stressed out right now.

You also seem to think I live in Florida. I do not. I live in Georgia, something you would have known if you listened to The Angry Atheist podcast I linked above. You would also have learned that EllenBeth and I worked out our differences and are on friendly terms now.

Please do not PM me again.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Walter Ego wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Please check your PM's.
Not to continue this but you are laboring under the mistaken perception that I have confessed to being mentally ill. I have not. When I said I was in bad shape mentally, I meant I am totally stressed out right now.

You also seem to think I live in Florida. I do not. I live in Georgia, something you would have known if you listened to The Angry Atheist podcast I linked above. You would also have learned that EllenBeth and I worked out our differences and are on friendly terms now.

Please do not PM me again.
Good luck Walter. At the risk of sounding patronising at least you get a fresh start with no baggage to worry about. I know you wont think of things as positive, far from it, but it may be the best thing that ever happened to you.

justinvacula

Why I object to government-led prayer at W-B City Council

Post by justinvacula »

As I have said, I've been quite busy...so here's the product of that business :)

I have compiled many videos, links, and events into a piece providing a full detailed reporting of my recent activism - my objection to Wilkes-Barre, PA City Council leading government meetings with prayer offered by Councilwoman Maureen Lavelle.

Why I object to government-led prayers at Wilkes-Barre City Council meetings

http://www.skepticink.com/justinvacula/ ... /wbprayer/

For just one thing -- a short video -- consider watching my address to council, questions i asked, a response from council, and some back and forth with the mayor.

[youtube]5fjFxZJpF_s [/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

JV I do appreciate what you are doing and keep publishing it.

Southern

Post by Southern »

cunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Mykeru wrote:I'm halfway through series 2 and damn, does Peter Dinklage own that show.

I've read some very selective opinions on the use of nudity, most focusing on the trope of "using women as sex objects". Yes, and they also have torture, murder, incest, backstabbing, throat-cutting, disemboweling, rape and slavery. Plus a naked preggo fire-crotch magically birthing a shadow monster and dragons. However, some people seem to be fixated on the display of tits, which is odd because you can also get some backside of both sexes, the overt twink blowjob and even a dongle or two, if that's what you are into.
Oleana Redwyne or whatever the fuck her name is is the best. IMHO.

The focus on fucking tits seems to me like the same focus people have on tits or whatever in video games. People seem to be completely desensitized to violence - well, violence against MEN at least - but it's all OMG TITTIES. I really think we're sliiiiding backwards into the Victorian age.

Somebody posted a link to a feminist blog not long back which commented on a torture scene from series 3. I'll try to keep the spoilers to a minimum but
if you haven't seen series 3 of Game Of Thrones ignore the rest of this post

The scene in question shows a prisoner being aroused by two women who proceed to strip naked and sexually excite the prisoner. The prisoner then gets his cock cut off by his torturer who was responsible for sending the girls in solely to arouse the prisoner. The feminist blog actually said that even though the guy lost his dick in the most painful and humiliating way possible it was actually the women who were the real victims in the scene because they were naked and were being objectified......I wish I had the link.

And, yeah, Tyrion Lannister is awesome but I think Arya will overshadow him in the pissing contest.
Rebecca Watson wrote a pretty level-headed article recently on the misogyny in game of thrones. I'm not even being sarcastic.

http://skepchick.org/2013/06/misogyny-a ... verything/

It's Myers' comment underneath that really encapsulates the problem so many (non-radical) feminists have with the show. It's not so much that they mind all the tits, bums and violence against women. It's that they think everybody else is too stupid to understand that it's a fantasy tv show, and not an aspirational life-style magazine.
I predicted this some time ago, if your damn slymers don't remember it. So, someone contact JREF at once, because I want my...

[youtube]l91ISfcuzDw[/youtube]

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Jack wrote: Good luck Walter. At the risk of sounding patronising at least you get a fresh start with no baggage to worry about. I know you wont think of things as positive, far from it, but it may be the best thing that ever happened to you.
Thanks. Like I said, I will have a (small) income starting in September. I also got some good news today from a family member.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Percentage wrote:Physiopricke is trolling his readers again:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/physioprof/ ... on-skills/
At least he's not doxxing anyone (yet), so kudos to Physioshitte!

Also, he's trolling the FTBers, so more kudos to him!

Southern

Post by Southern »

H. Korban wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... h-answers/

Why is this vain, foolish, irrelevant person claming to represent all atheists by telling everyone else what questions not to ask us? Now she wants atheists to think of themselves as marginalized victims, needing protection by Mama Christina, just in case any privileged theists asks us questions and we break down from all the harrasment. Quite the contrary. All these questions are very relevant and I enjoy thinking about them and answering them. What is clear here is the continuation and expansion of vicitm narrative into everything the Buffoon Collective does, erecting new unchallengable dogmas and setting up of Secular Priests. Its amazing how soon some supposed secular person can lapse back into a new religion.
If atheists ever need protection from Mama Christina, they are fucked. She would protect the atheist, she really would, but she doesn't have the time or the energy because she's swamped right now...

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Remick wrote:

Someone with twitter should remind Dillahunty that Gervais says things like 'cunt' frequently, something something splash damage.
And Dillahunty wouldn't give a single fuck because he's a fucking hypocrite. There's a bloke called Schilling on the Non-Prophets podcast and he's always calling people* cunts without Dillahunty batting an eyelid.

* Actually, being an American, Schilling only calls women cunts which makes it even more hypocritical.
Remember the (now infamous) "Ann Coulter is a cunt" Non-Prophets show. Nearly 2 hours of calling one single woman a cunt.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Lsuoma wrote:
Apples wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

Quote-mining machinery: roll out!
Once again, I'll do their work:
Apples, proeminent(?) Slymepitter and woman-hater wrote:
(...) it is official (...) dogma (...) all women are cum dumpsters.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

rayshul wrote: I dunno. Some people are really hot and you're like, fuck, if I get a bit drunk one evening I am going to fuck some shit up for serious.
You get it for certain.

(and I do not even need to have a drink to blame it on)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

AndrewV69 wrote:
rayshul wrote: I dunno. Some people are really hot and you're like, fuck, if I get a bit drunk one evening I am going to fuck some shit up for serious.
You get it for certain.

(and I do not even need to have a drink to blame it on)
It just takes a Freudian slip really which is too embarrassing to back out of...

sacha

Post by sacha »

Altair wrote:
sacha wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: (...)

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/inf ... bi.1003092
Here we use a stochastic, two-sex computational model implemented by computer simulation to show how male mating preference for younger females could lead to the accumulation of mutations deleterious to female fertility and thus produce a menopausal period.

most scientists believe it is the other way around: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22886668

Based on my layman's knowledge of evolution, this quote from your linked article makes a lot more sense than believing that some preference appeared out of nowhere and then influenced half the population's genetics.
But a UK expert said that was the "wrong way round" and men chose younger women because older women were less fertile.
Men being responsible for menopause sounds like complete bollocks to me. The study reads like an Onion article.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Tribble wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote: I think you don't realize that Rayshul is from New Zealand (correct me if I'm wrong, R.) She is talking about anti-Americanism, which would have peaked during the Bush years for obvious reasons.
You are correct. I did not know. Which makes everything she wrote make a crap-ton more sense.
being US-centric will fuck you every time here.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Remick wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Some people are incredibly weak, also, stupid.
the way I pictured the scenario was that this was a woman who gave enough signals to Andrew that she would be interested, and at least in my opinion that changes things. Better walk away from the friendship than regret something later.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Scented Nectar wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:Oh FFS!

A paper at PLOS is blaming teh menz for female menopause. Just ONE MORE example THAT MEN ARE TO BLAME for everything that afflicts every woman in the world...

Here we use a stochastic, two-sex computational model implemented by computer simulation to show how male mating preference for younger females could lead to the accumulation of mutations deleterious to female fertility and thus produce a menopausal period.
Why are you bad men making me wait so long for my menopause. I'm 50 now. Haven't I done my time under The Curse? Haven't I paid my dues to the Patriarchy as a Gender Traitor? I keep thinking 'hey, maybe that was my last period' and then another comes along and ruins my fun.
have you tried oral contraceptives as menstruation suppression?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

sacha

Post by sacha »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:Unrelated nugget of YT goodness:

"While Valentina Lisitsa was busy in the UK with promotion for Rachmaninov, there were some problems with bad weather so her Eurostar train back to Paris had to be cancelled and she ended up stuck at St Pancras International for some time! However, the delay did not deter her from taking to one of the station's Street Pianos and performing for passers-by in the station!"

[youtube]waXMhyQtLyM[/youtube]

(I'm in love with Valentina :oops: )
And now so am I! :shock:

reminds me of this:
A man sat at a metro station in Washington DC and started to play the violin; it was a cold January morning. He played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, since it was rush hour, it was calculated that [over a] thousand of people went through the station, most of them on their way to work.

Three minutes went by and a middle aged man noticed there was musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds and then hurried up to meet his schedule.

A minute later, the violinist received his first dollar tip: a woman threw the money in the till and without stopping continued to walk.

A few minutes later, someone leaned against the wall to listen to him, but the man looked at his watch and started to walk again. Clearly he was late for work.

The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.

In the 45 minutes the musician played, only 6 people stopped and stayed for a while. About 20 gave him money but continued to walk their normal pace. He collected $32. When he finished playing and silence took over, no one noticed it. No one applauded, nor was there any recognition.

No one knew this but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the best musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written with a violin worth 3.5 million dollars...
and this is one of many valuable lessons one can learn from dogs:
If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, on one of the finest instruments ever made, how many other things are we missing?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01721.html

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bell.asp

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

sacha wrote:
Altair wrote:
sacha wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: (...)

most scientists believe it is the other way around: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22886668

Based on my layman's knowledge of evolution, this quote from your linked article makes a lot more sense than believing that some preference appeared out of nowhere and then influenced half the population's genetics.
But a UK expert said that was the "wrong way round" and men chose younger women because older women were less fertile.
Men being responsible for menopause sounds like complete bollocks to me. The study reads like an Onion article.
Well if you think of women as toilets, it makes perfect sense.

sacha

Post by sacha »

JAB wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote: You mean like this?

http://i.imgur.com/iE3zKQN.jpg
I'm not sure why the pic above makes you think of toilets (ok, I can guess and I'd be right). All I think of when I look at that is that I'm generally all for chocolate covered blondes.
and I wonder what she was thinking with her attempt to simulate a natural mud bath in her home.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Pitchguest wrote:
welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Rystefnitis.

hahaha!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

sacha wrote:
Bitch, please!

sacha

Post by sacha »

for Barn Owl

http://i.imgur.com/Bt5yMwA.jpg

(image is too large to post here)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

OMFG LOL at these posters on that thread... (not c/ping people's real names into the 'pit)
One guy: "So because the drunk guy was reported as drunk and not as a "sexual harasser", that is evidence of covering up harassment?
And false accusations about taking upskirt photos is, to me, already crossing a line. To actually accuse someone of something like this, you need evidence. This is damaging someone's reputation.
So, when the data says that nobody reported sexual harassment, but the Skepchicks say it's constantly happening, then either one of them is wrong, or they are using different datasets.
Maybe one side goes with the TAM-data, while the Skepchicks also factor in any sort of online trolling they receive?"
The other: "they are using different datasets. TAM has done surveys with data and numbers, and Skepchick measures how many tears Surly Amy shed."

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

sacha wrote:for Barn Owl

That's a seriously cool photo.

But you're sure they're not eagles?

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Pitchguest wrote:

Looks like a tawny frogmouth... there used to be a bunch of the buggers in our garden

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

I love Tawny Frogmouths. Nature is JUST. SO. FUCKING. SMART.

Yes, humans may wipe out thousands or millions of species, which will be a shame, but nature and life will win over us forever and ever, amen.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

rayshul wrote:OMFG LOL at these posters on that thread... (not c/ping people's real names into the 'pit)

The other: "they are using different datasets. TAM has done surveys with data and numbers, and Skepchick measures how many tears Surly Amy shed."
http://i.imgur.com/cHJyg.jpg

sacha

Post by sacha »

Pitchguest wrote:

I have no idea what sort of birds they are. If they are not part of the Corvid family, I'm lost.

sacha

Post by sacha »

rayshul wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

Looks like a tawny frogmouth... there used to be a bunch of the buggers in our garden

I'd say Rayshul is spot on here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tawny-frogmouth.jpg

plus they are "often mistaken for owls"

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Jan Steen wrote:

There's a (superficially) surprising overlap between their dementia and that of the Trad-Cons. One of the most odious of the latter group, Laura Schlesinger, was using the "women as toilets" meme years before I'd even heard of the Twisty Faster.
Both groups share a fear and revulsion for male sexuality. Of the two, the Ophie Benson response, which seems inspired by Lesbian Separatism, is actually probably preferable. Personally, I have no problem with people going off and minding their own business if they decide they can't get along with the rest of us.
Schlesinger's dream seemed to be that a Lysistrata-type campaign would force all men into a neutered, sweater-vest wearing, mini-van driving, army of sad suburban thralls.
This might have been more attainable in the more homophobic parts of contemporary America than in Lysistrata's ancient Greece.
The latter never struck me as a promising locale for women trying to control men by way of a sex-strike.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

tawny frogmouth = really cool, hadn't heard of them before
______

women as toilets = really uncool; wish I could un-see Ophelia's tweet posted above.

Besides it's quite limited as an analogy: shouldn't total number of "uses" without flushing be as problematic, if not more problematic, than how many different people "used the facilities"?

And don't flushing and. when needed, a toilet bowl cleanser with a good stiff brush suffice to make a toilet all clean & sparkly again, almost like new?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Skep tickle wrote:tawny frogmouth = really cool, hadn't heard of them before
______

women as toilets = really uncool; wish I could un-see Ophelia's tweet posted above.

Besides it's quite limited as an analogy: shouldn't total number of "uses" without flushing be as problematic, if not more problematic, than how many different people "used the facilities"?

And don't flushing and. when needed, a toilet bowl cleanser with a good stiff brush suffice to make a toilet all clean & sparkly again, almost like new?
It helps not to read too much into it. This is Ophelia after all. She just writes the first thing that pops into her head and expects her sycophants to nod their heads and see the deeper meaning. Which they do.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

sacha wrote: and this is one of many valuable lessons one can learn from dogs:
If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world playing the best music ever written, on one of the finest instruments ever made, how many other things are we missing?
Well, if you don't care for violin music, or classical music, then you really aren't missing much in that instance. "Best" is still subjective. I'm not sure that the price of the violin makes it one of the best, either. I remember the tests done on the Stradivarius violins that determined they were not described as the best by most musicians (classical) that listened to them in double blinded tests.

I can appreciate the sentiment - I think we'd all live better lives if we weren't so rushed and hurried all the time, but that's the society we have these days. Most of us aren't privileged enough to have a job that gives us the luxury of being able to rest like that. But using that story as an objective representation...meh. Depending on what I had going on, I'd probably skip it as well. Unless I'm in the mood for classical (well, classical European, that is). YMMV of course.

:violin: :lol:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Seems that Jerry Coyne at Why Evolution is True started that ball rolling yesterday morning.
women as toilets = really uncool; wish I could un-see Ophelia's tweet posted above. ....
Odd sort of “trope” that Ophelia has referred to periodically. Although a fairly common one expressed in a great many ways, notably Yeats’ "Love has pitched His tent / in the place of excrement." Probably has caused all sorts of problematic consequences ….

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

______

With a healthy splash of Jizz-B-Gon (tm).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

My uncle passed away last night. It sucks! Even more so as he was showing signs of improvement at the beginning of the week.

I'm leaving for some studio work on tuesday, so I will probably miss the funeral.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

:( Sorry, Phil :(

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Sorry to hear that, Phil. My condolences to you.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Condolences, Phil.
Do some great studio work and maybe that will be a better tribute than attending the funeral.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Thanks Abbie and Dick. I'm gathering more information. At least he didn't die alone. My aunt's husband was with him all night, and says he just went to sleep and was gone a bit afterward, quietly and without (much) pain.

Ultimate cause seems to be liver faillure due to his years of drinking and smoking. Quite sobering.

Funeral won't be possible before at least tuesday, so I will definitely miss it. My brother is likely to attend, so he'll "represent" me as well. My mother and my aunt can't make it either. Mother is stuck with a masterclass she has to give, and my aunt is in Nigeria until the end of the month (work related).

So since 2009: maternal grandfather, paternal grandmother, maternal uncle, all gone.

So is Mo Green, Tataglia, Barzini, the heads of all the five families (sorry, watched that movie yesterday, and I need the humour right now).

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Thanks Gefan as well.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Mes condoléances, Phil. :/

windy