Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by welch »

BarnOwl wrote: Good that Taslima brought this up. Hopefully she'll also point out that Bangladeshi workers shouldn't have to suffer so that people in the US and UK can have CHEAP FASHUNZ.
I wonder about that. Admittedly, it's only one source, but I keep thinking about Tim Cook saying the problem with manufacturing Macs in the US at this point, given automation, isn't cost, but infrastructure, and hiring industrial engineers in the numbers you'd need. It's in an interview he did not long ago, and is an interesting look at some issues with bringing manufacturing back to the US.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Here is Dawn Gordon with her 1st #EWTS2013 stalking of Justin Vacula:
dawngordonJV.JPG
That account got suspended rather quickly once I mentioned who she was in the thread.

5 minutes later, @stalkerjustin was created using Justin Vacula's picture. That account has been freezepaged - http://www.freezepage.com/1372521876FKUZSJAOYV

She's a piece of...well, I was going to say "work" but "shit" applies better in this case.
I recognize the name Dawn Gordon, perhaps from facebook groups? Where does this person fall along the deep rifts spectrum? It seems like she's not affiliated, just trolling. Maybe she's a radfem taking a page from Laden though?
Nooo-ooooo. Dawn Gordon is from Brampton Ontario. She's a nutjob who believes "God" talks to her and she's able to "discern" pedophiles. I've dealt with her for over 4 years. Lately, instead of trying to get a hold of my relatives, employers, and my guy's medical team/insurance, she's taken to stalking people I happen to follow. Today it's Justin Vacula.

She's fucking insane and the sad bit is that no one in her real life can see that. She's a highly functioning psychopath.
REALLY? She's going after the people who follow you?

<pleasepleasepleasejesusiwantthismorethaniwantedanevelkinievelmotorcycleandthesixmilliondollarmanactionfigure!Youowemeanyways'causeigotthebionicfuckingwomaninstead>

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

welch wrote: REALLY? She's going after the people who follow you?

<pleasepleasepleasejesusiwantthismorethaniwantedanevelkinievelmotorcycleandthesixmilliondollarmanactionfigure!Youowemeanyways'causeigotthebionicfuckingwomaninstead>
I understand how you feel, but Dawn Gordon is legitimately mentally ill. So keep that in mind.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mykeru wrote:
Tribble wrote:
We can all have our moments... I had one yesterday while unpacking my $700 food processor...
Is that $700 in real money, like USD? Jesus fucking Christ.

In real money: Restaurant equipment is seriously expensive. And that's not even a really expensive one. You want the real production food processors, suitable for a hospital or some-such, you could go with the Robot Coupe Blixer 60 63 Qt. Two Speed Vertical Food Processor - 208/240V.

That's $17,000 (USD) and far, far more expensive than my 'relatively' light-to-medium duty food processor: http://tinyurl.com/p2c6avq

Now, for home use, I go much simpler with a KitchenAid KPF750ER3. It was just $250 when I bought it. And it's worth it compared to some cheap Target or WalMart "budget" processor (including the budget KitchenAid's they sell). IThe KitchenAid should last 25+ years (like the one I bought in the mid 1980s) unless something unusual happens.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Wonderist wrote:
Gefan wrote: So, I've been wanting to ask this for a while: does anyone have any insight into the origins of The Stephalump's planet-sized ego?
American culture? Neurobiology perhaps? Random result of random life circumstances? Selection bias (drama llamas tend to be at the centre of major dramas, so out of a population with a relatively small proportion of drama llamas, if you only look at the centres of major dramas, you're likely to find a disproportionately large number of drama llamas even if they're rare in the greater populace)?

High school- She was either shunned and never got to be one of the cool kids or by some incredible mishap she was what would be considered 'cool' at her school. As a result we get one of the two outcomes-
1) She is stuck at a high school social ability because it gives her a feeling of superiority in a world where she is less important than the not-so-cool girls she loved to torture until they cried in school.
2) She got some popularity due to the blog and realized she could finally be one of the 'cool kids' and it has caused her to become incredibly egotistical.
Either would explain why she is sometimes in complete denial or reality or will stoop to outright untruths to keep her charade going . If she doesn't then she is just a normal ignorant human like the rest of us and she could never imagine herself being so lowly. It's like a mental disorder and an addiction all in one! Instead of blowing all her money on a drug habit she pays with her dignity and credibility. She is not stupid IMO but she is foolish. ( it is impossible to take into account any environmental effects such as parental style because I can't know but those may play a role also)

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Hey Strawkins,
Your flight image seems to not be featured in the gallery. Would please add it?

http://i.imgur.com/9EmhNS9.jpg

Reap

Post by Reap »

bhoytony wrote:How did we all manage to survive these past few months without all this wonderful, original advice?
IDK But thank god or whoever it's here. Now what do we do?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Another doozy dropped on JT's blog. JT's got some reading to do! Hehe. Hopefully stirring up some more cognitive dissonance: "Hmm, something's fishy here. Something doesn't add up." Too long to copy pasta the whole thing, but for those who are interested (not you, cunt ;-) ), there is some pretty juicy stuff in there. Here's a wee taste:
Thaumas aka Wonderist wrote:
Feminerd wrote:If you're the nice side of the Slymepit, who's the mean side?
A ***very*** good question. In fact, I got kicked off Zvan's blog right after asking that very same question. Funny that.
(link)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

welch wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Myers: Something that benefits one gender, race, class is detrimental to all of society #EWTS2013

I agree with him. Too bad he doesn't realize he's part of the inequality problem.
Right then, no more gendered loos. (see what I did there? Justin's in IRELAND so I called it a LOO, 'cause i'm so multicultural!)
Fuck that. I'll go MRA all over the womyns before I give up men-only restrooms... I worked a retail drone-job while I was in HS. Had to clean the loos, empty the ashtrays (back before all the smoking bans), sweep, sort hangers, deal with the trash... You know, drone work.

Until that point in time I had this naive belief that girls were all dainty, neat and prissy and they couldn't be anywhere nearly as gross as boys... Holy shit, was that ever disabused! Women's restrooms are fucking disgusting. Pads on the floor. Tampons bobbing in the bowl. Blood on the walls. And how in the hell do they get piss down the sides of the toilet? Are they trying piss standing up like guys?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ERV wrote:
justinvacula wrote:Freezpage of PZ Myers' remarks at #EWTS2013:

http://www.freezepage.com/1372516292YGGZJCNTHJ
Deepity.
No, it was all very informative all around. From following the Twitter feed I learned that every issue comes down to rape. Like, in the Rwandan genocide the biggest problem was the rapes. Of course using rape as a tactic of war, even if it isn't a war is a result of "rape culture" because nothing gets a guy a big pat on the back like a good rape. Rape rapity rape-rape. And the solution to the problem of rape, because, after all, there's no problem bigger than rape, is to tell men not to rape. Because it just doesn't occur to men not to rape and this in no way is a problem with, say, criminality and anti-social behavior but with "you know how men are". Also, any deviation from the solution of telling men not to rape is victim-blaming. Rape. Also, sometimes rape is when a woman feels obligated to have sex. However, my asking if I've had sex even when I didn't particularly feel like it means I was raped makes me a "vile prick". Also gender insults are bad, except like, that one. Rape.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tribble wrote:
Fuck that. I'll go MRA all over the womyns before I give up men-only restrooms... I worked a retail drone-job while I was in HS. Had to clean the loos, empty the ashtrays (back before all the smoking bans), sweep, sort hangers, deal with the trash... You know, drone work.

Until that point in time I had this naive belief that girls were all dainty, neat and prissy and they couldn't be anywhere nearly as gross as boys... Holy shit, was that ever disabused! Women's restrooms are fucking disgusting. Pads on the floor. Tampons bobbing in the bowl. Blood on the walls. And how in the hell do they get piss down the sides of the toilet? Are they trying piss standing up like guys?
Yes, they have found that women's restrooms have twice the bacterial fauna of mens: http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/9705/06/bathroom.germs/

One theory is that women are so concerned with contamination that they tend to hover over the bowl and when something is dropped, it stays there, thus making taint a self-fulfilling thing and, in your case, someone else's problem.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

My god, more stunning revelations:
Who'da thought?

Apples

Post by Apples »

ERV wrote:

Deepity.
Incredibly fucking thin gruel - "secularism is good, some atheists are assholes, morality is subjective, privilege is unearned, equality is good, the end." Actually less substantive than many of his blogposts, with not a single surprising, interesting, or original sentence. If I were Nugent or an attendee I'd want my money back for that one.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Surly Amy has an article on memes and satire up, a topic she prepares for FTBConScience. She uses the Cardamon MRA satire as an example. I gave her some helpful tips on what kind of memes she could include from the community to spice it up a bit.
Aneris wrote:Here are a couple of excellent Atheism / community related memes:
“It doesn’t do anything, Timmy”
“Step Aside, we’ll take it from here”

And two more recent ones…
“Are we there yet”
“Rebecca’s Dream”

Credits: 1, 2 Ape+Lust, 3 Dick Strawkins & 4 Jan Steen

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
I'm looking forward to FTBConscience as it apparently brings in only the best expertise:
I have been reading about internet memes and how and why derivative and satirical works get spread on the internet in preparation for a panel I am going to be on at CONvergence/SkepchickCon next week. It is an interesting topic I had never thought that deeply about.
What could be more wonderful than to hear the thoughts from someone who looks at something with entirely fresh eyes. She has the revolutionary idea that people probably copy (make derivative works from) things they can manage. Did you know, that it's more difficult to pull a Michael Jackson with complete stage than making a derivative works of somene dancing in the underwear?

I know that FTBConscience doesn't have the best standing here, but with such quality ideas as expressed by Surly Amy, what can possibly go wrong?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote: I recognize the name Dawn Gordon, perhaps from facebook groups? Where does this person fall along the deep rifts spectrum? It seems like she's not affiliated, just trolling. Maybe she's a radfem taking a page from Laden though?
Nooo-ooooo. Dawn Gordon is from Brampton Ontario. She's a nutjob who believes "God" talks to her and she's able to "discern" pedophiles. I've dealt with her for over 4 years. Lately, instead of trying to get a hold of my relatives, employers, and my guy's medical team/insurance, she's taken to stalking people I happen to follow. Today it's Justin Vacula.
Uh oh, she's metastasizing. Sorry to tell you, Renee, but it looks like your stalker has advanced to a Stage IV stalker.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... stages.png

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

The misogyny is overwhelming!

http://explodingactresses.tumblr.com/

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Aneris wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
Aneris wrote:Once people set a certain standard...
Hmmmm, potential problem with using the tweet tag: deleted tweets are not saved in the pit. Any way around this 'feature'?
You could preview it once embeded, then copy and paste the text again below. It would then stay there, even if the tweet got deleted. Or screenshot everything, which is just very tedious and cannot be searched (though I am not sure if tweet contents really is searchable as of now). Some folks probably like to screenshots for "authenticity" but that is of course bogus as image manipulation is so easy these days that copy & paste of text is just as good.
That's a good idea. Would be awesome if you could actually copy/paste the text with the formatting and all that (it's probably CSS based anyway). Wonder if whoever wrote the tag code already thought of something like that. Maybe there's a configuration parameter or something? I know almost nothing about the internals of PHPBB. Just a wild guess based on other systems' features.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Mykeru wrote:My god, more stunning revelations:
Who'da thought?
"We need to downsize our costs and leverage our assets in an increasingly globalized economy."

BINGO!!!

Post by Guest »

Wonderist wrote:Oh, didn't realize the @stalkerjustin tag. I'm assuming it's a troll, then. Another incident to report privately to AI.
im sure ophelia will be condemning it implicitly any time now, as pretending to be someone on twitter to mock them is harassment from beyond the pale. especially in this case as it coopts and disrupts the con hashtag

any time now

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Lsuoma wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Who is doing this?
bhttp://i.imgur.com/mIx5hSw.png[/bimg]
Um, if those are Justin, I would seriously drop it, man. That's drama-generating shit. Let it slide on the public tweets, especially if you use the conference hashtag. Follow the guidelines, keep any issues like this troll private between you and AI/Nugent. Don't make an issue of it publicly, at least not *during* the conference.
Here, this is specially for you!

http://www.ohgizmo.com/wp-content/uploa ... e_clue.jpg
I don't get it.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Wonderist wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Here, this is specially for you!

I don't get it.
Hahahaha!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Welch said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 66#p104966):
The people who write manuals for things, especially hardware, need to be fucking smacked. It's inexcusable that people have to call their IT friends just to hook up a fucking printer.
In almost all cases of badly written user manuals/guides, etc., it is management, not the writer, who is at fault, for one or more of the following reasons:

1. Demanding that the engineers, who are not professional writers, write the manual in their spare time because they understand how the item works. While most engineers certainly understand the nuts and bolts of how a product is designed, constructed and, sometimes, installed, they almost invariably have very little understanding of how it actually works from a user's point of view and, not being professional writers, absolutely no idea how to put those instructions into clear, concise, and user-friendly prose. Where a proper tech writer might say, To hook up your printer, take jack A [with screenshot or graphic] and insert it into plug B [with screenshot or graphic]. An engineer would say, Take the double-splined male dongle-specific item 17-cd32 [with no screenshot or graphic because EVERYONE knows what it is] and apply it laterally with 0.4 ft/lbs pressure to the underplaced indented miniaturized version 3 of the Mitsubishi femidongellete item 567-bc-JP [with no screenshot of graphic because EVERYONE knows what it is].

2. Over the last decade or so almost every corporation that produces a product that requires a user manual/guide has done their utmost to reduce the costs of documentation up to and including discarding it altogether. Some of these methods might include one or more of the following:
2a. Get the engineer's assistant/apprentice to write the manual on their lunch breaks.
2b. Get a secretary to write the manual because, She has nothing else to do and she knows how to write, doesn't she?
2c. Get the overworked on-staff tech writer -- yes, a handful of corporations still keep on-staff tech writers, usually with a workload realistically requiring at least five writers -- to write the manual in RoboHelp using an automated document churner.
2d. Actually bow to pressure and hire a real live professional technical writer, but allow less than one tenth of the real time required to actually write the thing (this is to some degree what happened on the OceanWorks project for the US Navy that I link to below).
2e. Any of the above, but sourced in Japanese or Chinese, and very poorly translated by the secretary, leading to the many classic Japlish or Chinglish and woefully unreadable manuals.

And yes, welch, this is actually something I know whereof I speak; indeed, I know more about it than you do. I've been a professional technical writer, a writer of good technical manuals (including being one of the team that wrote the 30,000 page Maintenance Manual for the first two items shown in the screenies on this page: http://www.oceanworks.com/our-business/ ... e-systems/), for more than 13 years.

/just sayin'

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Mykeru wrote:
Tribble wrote:
We can all have our moments... I had one yesterday while unpacking my $700 food processor...
Is that $700 in real money, like USD? Jesus fucking Christ.
Well, sheesh, it wasn't $700 all at once! It came in only 35 easy payments of $19.99. And it came with some knives that can cut through tomatoes and tin cans.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ERV wrote:

Deepity.
I paused reading here:
But still, secularism is necessary. It’s the floor of basic decency, it’s the start, and not the be-all and end-all
Someone being a decent person is an independent variable. It is not correlated with a religion or secularism.

Then I bailed here:
Religion is, and always has been a tool for authoritarianism.
And in the hands of PeeZuss Christ so is secularism. No point in reading any further.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John Greg wrote:Welch said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 66#p104966):
The people who write manuals for things, especially hardware, need to be fucking smacked. It's inexcusable that people have to call their IT friends just to hook up a fucking printer.
In almost all cases of badly written user manuals/guides, etc., it is management, not the writer, who is at fault, for one or more of the following reasons:

1. Demanding that the engineers, who are not professional writers, write the manual in their spare time because they understand how the item works. While most engineers certainly understand the nuts and bolts of how a product is designed, constructed and, sometimes, installed, they almost invariably have very little understanding of how it actually works from a user's point of view and, not being professional writers, absolutely no idea how to put those instructions into clear, concise, and user-friendly prose. Where a proper tech writer might say, To hook up your printer, take jack A [with screenshot or graphic] and insert it into plug B [with screenshot or graphic]. An engineer would say, Take the double-splined male dongle-specific item 17-cd32 [with no screenshot or graphic because EVERYONE knows what it is] and apply it laterally with 0.4 ft/lbs pressure to the underplaced indented miniaturized version 3 of the Mitsubishi femidongellete item 567-bc-JP [with no screenshot of graphic because EVERYONE knows what it is].

2. Over the last decade or so almost every corporation that produces a product that requires a user manual/guide has done their utmost to reduce the costs of documentation up to and including discarding it altogether. Some of these methods might include one or more of the following:
2a. Get the engineer's assistant/apprentice to write the manual on their lunch breaks.
2b. Get a secretary to write the manual because, She has nothing else to do and she knows how to write, doesn't she?
2c. Get the overworked on-staff tech writer -- yes, a handful of corporations still keep on-staff tech writers, usually with a workload realistically requiring at least five writers -- to write the manual in RoboHelp using an automated document churner.
2d. Actually bow to pressure and hire a real live professional technical writer, but allow less than one tenth of the real time required to actually write the thing (this is to some degree what happened on the OceanWorks project for the US Navy that I link to below).
2e. Any of the above, but sourced in Japanese or Chinese, and very poorly translated by the secretary, leading to the many classic Japlish or Chinglish and woefully unreadable manuals.

And yes, welch, this is actually something I know whereof I speak; indeed, I know more about it than you do. I've been a professional technical writer, a writer of good technical manuals (including being one of the team that wrote the 30,000 page Maintenance Manual for the first two items shown in the screenies on this page: http://www.oceanworks.com/our-business/ ... e-systems/), for more than 13 years.

/just sayin'
Most engineers simply can't write good documentation. One of my teams of seven programmers and eight systems engineers has two full-time tech writers supporting them, and when I need it I simply bring in a contractor. There is no way, other than using TWs, to get good docs. End of story.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

BraveHero Radio -- reporting live, and about -- #EWTS2013 goes live in just an hour! Join live chat before and during:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... -day-one-1

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

ERV wrote:

Deepity.
Part deepity, part nonsense.
PZ Myers wrote:Obviously, I’ve been increasingly disillusioned, as it has become clear that many atheists are, well, jerks
I can sympathize, if I had to sit surrounded by them in the comment section all day one must come away with that impression. Hang in there, PZ! We care and get you out someday.
PZ Myers wrote:Atheism Plus Religion is, and always has been a tool for authoritarianism. By its very nature it imposes a vision of our interactions with each other and the world that is hierarchical and ordered and linear — the orders come from above. You will obey them. And further, the concept of faith is antithetical to transparency — you cannot question those orders, because your comments will be censored and you will be banned for slightest disagreement and for simply being in the outgroup there is no path for verification. You are expected to trust but not verify, and accept without reason.
Absolutely correct, PZ Myers.
PZ Myers wrote:As a scientist, I am of course entirely comfortable with the idea of empiricism; it’s a good thing to progress by trial and error. As an evolutionary biologist, I also recognize a metric for “progress”: does a behavior increase the viability of individuals and of a species? It’s actually rather cut and dried: we should promote values that increase the stability and success of individuals and populations, because the alternative is extinction.
Where I disagree vehemently. It sounds social darwinian to me. Individuals and populations in that sense are too sucessful, with over 7 billion+ people on planet earth. Our extinction will be brought about if we continue to be careless with our planet. That line of reasoning is a dead end, and a dangerous one at that.

If he wants to have it biological: we are all equipped with mirror neurons, selfish-genes and a cognition that gave rise to empathy and the ability to see ourselves in other humans, and as part of a larger group. And really, the other people's personalities (what believers would call "souls") are virtually in us, and we run as simplified emulations in their brains, i.e. on the similar hardware as the originals. When everything was local, we only saw our families, then tribes, then cities, then nations, then idea-constructions to rally around and when people took pictures from earth from the moon, and we started to be connected with people from around the world, and started to realize that all the other humans laugh and cry, love their kids and die one day, we now clearly see that we are all in this together.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Wonderist wrote:Another doozy dropped on JT's blog. JT's got some reading to do! Hehe. Hopefully stirring up some more cognitive dissonance: "Hmm, something's fishy here. Something doesn't add up." Too long to copy pasta the whole thing, but for those who are interested (not you, cunt ;-) ), there is some pretty juicy stuff in there. Here's a wee taste:
Thaumas aka Wonderist wrote:
Feminerd wrote:If you're the nice side of the Slymepit, who's the mean side?
A ***very*** good question. In fact, I got kicked off Zvan's blog right after asking that very same question. Funny that.
(link)
You really have a bit more stamina than I do that is for certain. Now all you have to do is add a few dozen citations and Steersman will have to cede the title of the "Incredible Bulk".

This is not a shot at Steersman BTW. I have repeatedly said that he is the wind beneath my wings and I still do. :lol:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Lsuoma said:
There is no way, other than using TWs, to get good docs. End of story.
Absolutey.

Some of the demands that management makes for documentation are truly hilarious, and when multiple levels of guiding management are involved, it is amazing.

On the OceanWorks project, there were literally dozens of senior Navy personell involved in determining style and layout for the manual, and the arguments they got into, during live conferencing, were extraordinary -- sometimes lasting for hours with nothing determined or finalized.

On two occasions, one of the Admirals, yes an Admiral, had to be excused from the meetings because he became apoplectic with rage at one of his subordinates who actually knew something about tech writing. It was extraordinary.

My primary role on that project was to handle layout, formatting and, in particular, the mammoth Word Styles template. Because of the Navy personell's inability to ever reach consensus, I had to redesign, define, and format the Styles template on a weekly basis for 12 months. Hilarious ... yet rather frustrating.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Apples wrote:
ERV wrote:

Deepity.
Incredibly fucking thin gruel - "secularism is good, some atheists are assholes, morality is subjective, privilege is unearned, equality is good, the end." Actually less substantive than many of his blogposts, with not a single surprising, interesting, or original sentence. If I were Nugent or an attendee I'd want my money back for that one.
PZ: "Welp! My job here is done. Glad I could be of service, Mick. Now where's that bar? Oh look! I got a tweet from the Becster. God,I wish I was at her party.... mmmm..."
Nugent: What? That's it?! :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/KB2ooYG.jpg
(image by Ape+Lust)

Slither

Post by Slither »

Having just caught up, I'll just note that I checked, and planes were flying from JFK to Dublin -- they just seemed to be slightly delayed. Not too surprising, given that everyone else managed to make it there without any problems. So, either Watson deliberately bailed, or she missed her flight and couldn't convince them to let her re-book. I'm guessing the former.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Aneris wrote:
PZ Myers wrote:Obviously, I’ve been increasingly disillusioned, as it has become clear that many atheists are, well, jerks
I can sympathize, if I had to sit surrounded by them in the comment section all day one must come away with that impression. Hang in there, PZ! We care and get you out someday.
PZ's comment section is even worse than your average comment section. His is predominantly populated by that absolutely worst, most insufferable subspecies of jerk: the self-righteous jerk. I don't know how anybody can be immersed continuously in that contagious atmosphere of toxic self-righteousness and not become a self-righteous jerk in turn.

Oh, wait.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

ERV wrote:

Deepity.
Just popped into my head:

Deepity derpity dee,
An elephant shat on me.

Deepity derpity doo,
An elephant shat on you.

Deepity derpity dick,
An elephant shat on ....

[youtube]HLJ4qFegkNk[/youtube]

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Slither wrote:Having just caught up, I'll just note that I checked, and planes were flying from JFK to Dublin -- they just seemed to be slightly delayed. Not too surprising, given that everyone else managed to make it there without any problems. So, either Watson deliberately bailed, or she missed her flight and couldn't convince them to let her re-book. I'm guessing the former.
Pfah! I think you over-estimate. I'm guessing the latter.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Wonderist wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote: I recognize the name Dawn Gordon, perhaps from facebook groups? Where does this person fall along the deep rifts spectrum? It seems like she's not affiliated, just trolling. Maybe she's a radfem taking a page from Laden though?
Uh oh, she's metastasizing. Sorry to tell you, Renee, but it looks like your stalker has advanced to a Stage IV stalker.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... stages.png
Sorry Renee, I just realized that could come of as a really tasteless joke considering your guy. Wasn't thinking.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

IJLTH:

[youtube]BP16ZvkOkXo[/youtube]

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Slither wrote:Having just caught up, I'll just note that I checked, and planes were flying from JFK to Dublin -- they just seemed to be slightly delayed. Not too surprising, given that everyone else managed to make it there without any problems. So, either Watson deliberately bailed, or she missed her flight and couldn't convince them to let her re-book. I'm guessing the former.
She may have had a flight via Amsterdam, like Ophelia apparently. It is a fact that several flights from JFK were cancelled yesterday.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

justinvacula wrote:BraveHero Radio -- reporting live, and about -- #EWTS2013 goes live in just an hour! Join live chat before and during:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... -day-one-1
I like the chatroom feature. It's refreshing to have the instant-gratification of a chat session, rather than waiting ?? minutes.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Wonderist wrote:
Why does it have to be either/or. We are in the realms of speculation, as the only thing we know, is that there were flights, so in all likelihood her not getting to Dublin was a choice made on her part.

Remember though since in all likelihood bekkibooze (just for you) had ingested alcohol at the time she decided to bin the con, it was not her choice, and suggesting it was is victim blaming.

My speculation is that she had been put up in the JKF on Atheist Ireland dime (travel expense) got shitfaced (party tweet) maybe prepped to go the airport, heard about (possible) delay, thought fuck it, i'm not sitting about an airport, back to the bar, and in her head it's not her responsibility, if the flights had not been delayed she'd have made it, ergo parallel logic, not her fault, AI should have made sure the flights were on time.

It's a fucking net gain for the con anyway. What exactly could she, would she, have to contribute. The only fucking reason she was invited, was Nugent sucking up to the clique. The realisation that she had fuck all to say, probably made her decision to stay in the JFK a lot easier.

The cult of internet atheist celebs has to end. Lindsay is as much a sycophant as Nugent, they have convinced themselves these people are celebrity, and by giving them gigs some of that spills onto them, and their orgs. They are only celebs in the likes of Lindsay and Nugent's heads. Z list doesn't even categorise them, as 999 out of 1000 atheists in Ireland who pz myers is, your likely to get a puzzled look with a suggestion he was a WW2 character.

They are Internet drama machines. That's fucking it.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Za-zen wrote:
Wonderist wrote:
Why does it have to be either/or. We are in the realms of speculation, as the only thing we know, is that there were flights, so in all likelihood her not getting to Dublin was a choice made on her part.
Well, I only said guessing myself, not 'knowing'. I have no idea what actually happened. But if I had to bet money, I'd go with option 2. That's the extent of how far I'd go with it, though. I'd never claim to *know* what went on, just like I'd never claim to know what happened after 4am in an elevator if I wasn't there. Ultimately, it would be foolish to push the point, but it's fun to speculate as long as we're clear it's only speculation.

Slither

Post by Slither »

Jan Steen wrote: She may have had a flight via Amsterdam, like Ophelia apparently. It is a fact that several flights from JFK were cancelled yesterday.
So she'll get re-booked -- and she should have enough frequent-flier miles by now to get preferential treatment. There are direct flights from JFK to Dublin, too, and when re-booking they don't force you to keep the same itinerary, they get you to your final destination.

Southern

Re: Justin Fucks Up in Dublin?

Post by Southern »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Butterflies and Wheels, July 1st 2013:

Sigh. I thought that by flying over six thousand miles I might be able to escape the harassment and persecution. Sadly: not.

Firstly, the flight. As I sat picking nuggets of granola from between my teeth, an airline employee had the temerity to inform me that the person in front had requested that I not flick them into her (hmmph. Gender traitor) hair. Later, as I was trying to work out the kinks in my muscles by touching my toes in the space between a toilet door and the bulkhead, the very same employee told me quite sternly to return to my seat as we were thirty seconds from touchdown. Also, to put my pants back on.

But the conference itself was a nightmare of Meyersian proportions (I jest, PZ, I jest!). My transcontinental and transoceanic adventure, supposed to guarantee me some much-needed freedom from my enemies, had instead landed me directly within their lair. Everywhere I turned, I could see him: J----n V----a. One time, I swear, I saw him approach across the room, waving at me as though he wished to engage in some of his trademarked harassment. I turned and ran around the corner, only to find myself face to face with him yet again! Only this time, instead of running at me, he squeaked "OhmygodImsosorryIhavetriedtoavoidthis" and ran away. Most puzzling.

And one last thing: I did at one point see my evil shadow upon the stage, addressing attendees without a care in the world. Rest assured I will be writing further about the conference giving this respect to such a degenerate stalker. But the queerest thing was that - obviously in an attempt to escape detection - the vile piece of human filth had taken to putting on a South American accent.

Sigh.
What's wrong with the South American accent, Ophelia you miserable piece of shit?

Also, haven't you learned from both Harry Potter and Breath of Fire III that when you do not name your enemies, you are strenghtening them? Old piece of shit.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Wonderist wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Here, this is specially for you!

I don't get it.
No?

Try this instead.

http://www.cleverwood.com/images/hellraiser.jpg

Apples

Post by Apples »

Southern wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:And one last thing: I did at one point see my evil shadow upon the stage, addressing attendees without a care in the world. Rest assured I will be writing further about the conference giving this respect to such a degenerate stalker. But the queerest thing was that - obviously in an attempt to escape detection - the vile piece of human filth had taken to putting on a South American accent.

Sigh.
What's wrong with the South American accent, Ophelia you miserable piece of shit?

Also, haven't you learned from both Harry Potter and Breath of Fire III that when you do not name your enemies, you are strenghtening them? Old piece of shit.
[youtube]QnXjISlKLuE[/youtube]

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

Reap wrote:
bhoytony wrote:How did we all manage to survive these past few months without all this wonderful, original advice?
IDK But thank god or whoever it's here. Now what do we do?
Hey, Reap what's up! Just wanted to thank you for letting me be on The Angry Atheist podcast last December. I didn't think I did so well when I first heard it but listening to it again recently, I think I did okay. (It's hard to be objective about yourself.) I've been away for a while and I hope everything is going okay for you.

46, XX

Post by 46, XX »

When a flight is cancelled, passengers are usually put on a later flight with compensation given to those who voluntarily skip overbooked flights. Usually, this means a ticket for similar travel in the future. RW probably "volunteered" to skip the later flight in exchange to a free ticket overseas when she isn't required to speak intelligly on a subject.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Who'da thought?
People are paid to said this in conventions? Maybe I should get a speaking gig, I can spout those platitudes too, and I swear I can charge less dollar-per-obvious-shit as these guys are charging.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Southern wrote:

Sigh. I thought that by flying over six thousand miles I might be able to escape the harassment and persecution. Sadly: not.

Firstly, the flight. As I sat picking nuggets of granola from between my teeth, an airline employee had the temerity to inform me that the person in front had requested that I not flick them into her (hmmph. Gender traitor) hair. Later, as I was trying to work out the kinks in my muscles by touching my toes in the space between a toilet door and the bulkhead, the very same employee told me quite sternly to return to my seat as we were thirty seconds from touchdown. Also, to put my pants back on.

But the conference itself was a nightmare of Meyersian proportions (I jest, PZ, I jest!). My transcontinental and transoceanic adventure, supposed to guarantee me some much-needed freedom from my enemies, had instead landed me directly within their lair. Everywhere I turned, I could see him: J----n V----a. One time, I swear, I saw him approach across the room, waving at me as though he wished to engage in some of his trademarked harassment. I turned and ran around the corner, only to find myself face to face with him yet again! Only this time, instead of running at me, he squeaked "OhmygodImsosorryIhavetriedtoavoidthis" and ran away. Most puzzling.

And one last thing: I did at one point see my evil shadow upon the stage, addressing attendees without a care in the world. Rest assured I will be writing further about the conference giving this respect to such a degenerate stalker. But the queerest thing was that - obviously in an attempt to escape detection - the vile piece of human filth had taken to putting on a South American accent.

Sigh.

In case you missed it, that was Concentrated doing his Ophelia impersonation. She has no post up in the future anyway - did you see that date?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

46, XX wrote:When a flight is cancelled, passengers are usually put on a later flight with compensation given to those who voluntarily skip overbooked flights. Usually, this means a ticket for similar travel in the future. RW probably "volunteered" to skip the later flight in exchange to a free ticket overseas when she isn't required to speak intelligly on a subject.
Well, to be fair, I doubt anyone, even her "friends", expect her to speak intelligibly on any subject. They do it because she's the life of the party, and if they didn't, she'd write mean things about them on her blog. Just speculation, of course. :shhh:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma wrote:IJLTH:

[youtube]BP16ZvkOkXo[/youtube]
Awesome.

Thinks: SO will love this (she's a dancer).

[Goes to share]

SO: "Oh, yeah. I've seen it".

Fucking internet.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

46, XX wrote:When a flight is cancelled, passengers are usually put on a later flight with compensation given to those who voluntarily skip overbooked flights. Usually, this means a ticket for similar travel in the future. RW probably "volunteered" to skip the later flight in exchange to a free ticket overseas when she isn't required to speak intelligly on a subject.
I am trying to give a charitable interpretation. The delay may have been such that she would not have made it in time to be able to play her vital part in that panel on church and state separation. Assuming that Atheist Ireland payed her travel expenses for this purpose, she may have felt that going to Dublin anyway may have been inappropriate.

/charitable mode

Southern

Post by Southern »

Badger3k wrote:
In case you missed it, that was Concentrated doing his Ophelia impersonation. She has no post up in the future anyway - did you see that date?
I'm stupid, then - I didn't notice anything. Sorry about that - those last days made me act all impulsive and teenagery because I'm enraged about things. I'll try (once again!) to not be so dense before posting.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:
I am trying to give a charitable interpretation. The delay may have been such that she would not have made it in time to be able to play her vital part in that panel on church and state separation. Assuming that Atheist Ireland payed her travel expenses for this purpose, she may have felt that going to Dublin anyway may have been inappropriate.

/charitable mode
I agree. As far as I understood the conference itself is only going for a few days and when everything is fucked up too much it may not be worth the hassle. I actually sympathize with it. Flying for 10 hours or so is really not that much fun, and then arriving totally wasted and annoyed and tired just to sit around in a conference center all day, where your evening is essentially also ruined already (even for someone who likes partying), and then going back already, another 10 hours...

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Justin's show is online. Looking for callers/skypers: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... -day-one-1

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Maybe she just couldn't make it through the TSA checkpoints....

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Southern wrote:
Who'da thought?
People are paid to said this in conventions? Maybe I should get a speaking gig, I can spout those platitudes too, and I swear I can charge less dollar-per-obvious-shit as these guys are charging.
Taslima Nasrin, seems to operate as the Gender Warrior Ann Coulter. You see, the function of Coulter is to run point, say the stupidest things up front and generally be one crazy coont so that the rest of the GOP assbags seem sane by comparison.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

According to Myers Watson couldn't attend because of airline weirdness
PZ Myers

June 28, 2013 at 7:50 am (UTC -7)

There are definitely direct flights from Chicago to Dublin, since I was on one.

Unfortunately, it looks like Rebecca Watson is a victim of airline weirdness — she’s had flights juggled and canceled and finally, her ticket canceled by the French (she was going through Paris? I don’t understand and don’t know all the details), and it seems she won’t be here for the conference.

It’s all Rebec…wait, that formula doesn’t work here. Who shall we blame now?

It must be Ophelia’s fault.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... ent-578514

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Just noticed that Beccy is again a victim, poor thing.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Southern wrote:

Sigh.

Um, you do know that isn't actually OB, right. Check the date. The give away for me was the use of too many original words and not enough copypasta for OB.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Oops... sorry for piling on.