Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
TedDahlberg

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by TedDahlberg »

Cards Against Humanity can be really funny with the right people. And anyone pretending to SJW-hood would be a massive hypocrite to play it.

[youtube]bQlnzpQ1sDM[/youtube]

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Yeah, any SJW playing CAH proves that all they're doing with the SJW-dom is trolling people. They're not actually looking to change jack shit.

Which is something we already knew but whatever.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Guesses, anyone?

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

If it is....*facepalm*

Post by Guest »

Karmakin wrote:Yeah, any SJW playing CAH proves that all they're doing with the SJW-dom is trolling people. They're not actually looking to change jack shit.

Which is something we already knew but whatever.
And that's one thing that angered me about the Adriana Richards incident: she was playing CAH at the con where she blew up about a dongle joke. So, it is okay for HER to make hugely inappropriate jokes, but heaven help the guy who makes a slightly juvenile joke.
Sheesh.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

justinvacula wrote:Seth Andrews – The Thinking Atheist -- is scheduled to appear on the July 14 episode of Brave Hero Radio.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... ng-atheist

...busy day today, more guests to come in later days.
Go easy on him - he's desperately trying to keep out of stepping in the deep rifts.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

[youtube]LD-ZoRwztYw[/youtube]

The EWTS2013 speaker who said that her Marxism informs her feminism ^^

...and that George Bush used the ideology of feminism to justify the war on terror

among other things.

And here is an interview I had with another speaker who objected to this speaker:

[youtube]mlNwoR5w45U[/youtube]

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Hmm, that time stamp is confusing me, whether it was midwest time or west time. At any rate, a late-night thing.

Also, I'd guess that the one about Kanye West was meant to say he "rapped" (not "rapid"), but I could be wrong.
CAH stands for "Cards Against Humanity", a politically incorrect party game.

Don't worry... it's OK when they do it!
Drats! Beat me to it.

Yes. He was definitely playing Cards Against Humanity, which I would call the most politically incorrect card game. If you've ever played Apples To Apples, then just ramp the political incorrectness up to 11 and CAH is kinda what you get. Here's a quick demonstration. Basically, all players are dealt 10 white cards [used to answer], then players take turns drawing a single black card, they read it out loud, and then each other player gives them a card they think will be the funniest/fit the best/win. The card that wins earns the owner the black card, which counts as a point. Here's a visual example:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 8df39b.png

I recommend this game for anyone here that has a decent amount of friends/social life. The cards are well made enough too, mine have survived having alcoholic drinks spilled on them a time or two. :D

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Skeeve wrote:If it is....*facepalm*
Apparently not. It's some weird guy in MIchigan with what she thought was a Russian accent. A cursory dig reveals his PII (Age, address, telephone number, etc.) including that he brought suit against the USPS and has relatives in Mozambique.

He wouldn't tell Ellenbeth were he got her number and kept asking where she was in FL so he can "visit her". I'm trying to determine what grade of nut he is, whether a legit stalky type or just a clueless, socially awkward moron.

Having had a friend who was stalked by her ex BF who even broke into her house until she brandished a Davis .380 I got for her (probably a straw purchase, but the statute of limitations has long since expired) and had another friend shot five times in the back of her head by her hubby, I'm all about getting ahead of the curve on these things.

Nothing threatening, but a nice taped phone call asking a few questions might be in order if she wants.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Gefan wrote:
If getting groped by a leering monstrosity like Peezus doesn't constitute hitting bottom though, what does? The next stop after that has to be doing Tijuana donkey shows to pay for cleaning products to shoot.
I am now picturing Requiem For A Dream .

"Ass to ass, ass to ass, ass to ass.."

(this may ruin the wonderful Jennifer Connolly for me forever)

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Skep tickle wrote: Ahh. That explains quite a bit. Thanks!

Does it come with trigger warnings, consent, and/or a disclaimer?
The subtitle on the box says "A party game for horrible people." I'd think that would be enough. The 1-Star reviews on Amazon are hilarious though. :D
Pitchguest wrote:
JackRayner wrote:
another lurker wrote:Amputee lady has made Yahoo news for her lego leg:

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquin ... 32600.html
I'll admit that the video's freeze frame is the main reason I watched it.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... 437d26.png
You know, it's creepy each time I read about her. She's not quite right, is she?
Not sure what you mean. In what way?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And yeah. Any SJW/"Rape jokes are NEVAR funny!"-type Feminist who doesn't flounce away in tears after the first round of Cards Against Humanity should pretty much turn their membership card in. The game dives into the deep end of the black humor pool...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Coyne has a piece up where he takes PeeZus' performance on the panel apart, mainly with input from Pinker.

Battle of the Bio Professors!

(that last bit was a joke, BTW).

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Short version of Coyne: the opposition to EP from these so-called is ideologically driven, and is largely straw-manning "pop" versions of EP, which no qualified scientists support in any case.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

From #EWTS2013:

Transcript of Catherine O’Brien interview:

http://justinvacula.com/2013/07/07/tran ... interview/

Who needs an A+ Scribe :)

Some interesting lines:
When some of the people from the floor … were saying, ‘Oh, no; we need to fight, we need to be very angry,’ I drew attention to the fact that I do think we need to fight — there’s a lot of work to be done. But am not for a split-second saying that we can be complacent about this. It’s actually a very urgent issue. So I was making no apology for … drawing attention to the fact that men suffer as well as women.
You can be angry in your living room. You can kick your television set, you can throw something out the window. That’s absolutely useless. It damages you. Unless you can then turn that into some kind of action. I mean, the psychology is out there; I’m not saying anything unique. This isn’t controversial, even. [Laughs] No, this is such an understood concept, that anger is useless and only damages the individual. But it is a huge motivator…. If you turn that anger into action, you actually feel much better about it. And you’re doing something about the problem. But just anger by itself, as some people suggested here? Eh, no. That's useless.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Lsuoma wrote:One more thing - yes, Lyers is dying his hair. That shade does not comport with the grey beard. Looks like Grecian 2000, Reagan strength.

Hair is complex and I'm fairly sure he's not dying it. Beyond going gray, it often changes color over age. My hair has gone from a light-brown, just like Paul had when he was young, to a dark color, much like Paul's hair is now... I don't dye. It's just the balance between eumelanin and pheomelanin has changed as I've aged. Which is pretty normal.
Hair color is the pigmentation of hair follicles due to two types of melanin: eumelanin and pheomelanin. Generally, if more eumelanin is present, the color of the hair is darker; if less eumelanin is present, the hair is lighter. Levels of melanin can vary over time causing a person's hair color to change, and it is possible to have hair follicles of more than one color.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_hair_color

Also, men's facial hair may not change the same way as the hair on their head. My hair and beard, like Paul's, also don't go together anymore. My beard started turning gray in my teens. By the time I was 30, I had a significantly gray beard and if I grew it out today, it'd be close to white. Whereas, about 80% of the remaining hair on my head has gotten much darker.

Besides, let's think about it, does a dough-boy like that look even remotely vain-enough to dye his hair? He's fat and lazy, comes from a family with heart troubles, and sits on his ass (making little or no effort to keep in shape) while trolling the Internet or Copy-Pasting his magnum opus when he's not teaching his 2 or 3 biology courses...

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mykeru wrote: Guesses, anyone?
Alex, I'll take "Stupid Shit Walter Does" for 1000.

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:Coyne has a piece up where he takes PeeZus' performance on the panel apart, mainly with input from Pinker.

I would love to see the reaction to someone in the audience asking every person on that panel to cite five examples of peer reviewed ev psych papers they have read in the last three months as preparation for this panel.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Lsuoma wrote:Coyne has a piece up where he takes PeeZus' performance on the panel apart, mainly with input from Pinker.

Ooh, that's got to hurt. They both really shit all over him. For all that PZ has huge internet balls when he's dealing with the lower orders, he will never attack anyone like Pinker. He knows he is insignificant in comparison, but seems to harbour hope that someday they might accept him as one of them. Witness his behaviour towards Richard Dawkins when the rest of the horde were pouring their poison on him. All PeeZus had were incredibly weak, insipid, he-might-be-mistaken sort of comments. What is it that the SJWs say about punching up instead of down.
I don't doubt that the usual suspects will be attacking Coyne and Pinker in due course. A few may try to comment on WEIT, but I expect it will be mostly where they can control to debate.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Mykeru wrote: Guesses, anyone?

oolon!

In all seriousness, that is creepy as hell that whoever that person is they got her info and contacted her.

As for the evopsych debate, it's good to see actual scientists speaking up now, because often I think evopsych is a field that is misrepresented to laypeople like myself by 2 very loud and very uninformed camps: 3rd wave/radfem/Tumblr style feminists and PUA-pick up artists.

Oftentimes I think the people really trying to understand the field work so much in anonymity that they let the clowns control discussion of the field and thus we get evopsych panels where all the panelists are shitty bloggers with an agenda of ideological purity in the atheist and skeptic conference circuit, or businesses where conmen make socially awkward dudes pay thousands to attend a bullshit seminar on "Why you gotta tell that HB10 bitch she's only 6/10 so she'll bend to your will and fuck you".

I'd like to see more actual science-based writings and not just bloggers bashing on a soft target like that Kanazawa guy, as if the whole field is represented by such failure. If eventually evopsych ends up being bullshit, we certainly won't know by the likes of Laden or PZ, but actual people in the field doing actual work. If it is truly a verifiable thing then I doubt you'll get the actual info from a guy holding a bootcamp telling you how to smooth-talk women in a club.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I see moseszd has just commented at WEIT. He calls PZ "Dear Leader", talks about feminist dogma, mentions FTB trolls and even oolOn. That's not going to go down too well with Jerry, he tries to keep out of the drama and concentrate on the science. He won't like being dragged into the Schism. Don't do that guys. If anybody from here comments over there, you might want to bear it in mind.

welch

Post by welch »

my comment on Coyne's article:
After all, what field is more misused and misquoted than evolutionary biology? I am a frequent recipient of emails from Jews trying to convince me to reject evolution because Darwin ultimately caused the Holocaust.
Well, Chemistry and physics come to mind :-P

But even my own field, computers and IT, is misused. Malware, phishing and other such misuses of programming and security techniques is a global multi-billion dollar industry devoted to using a lack of skepticism so as to bilk people out of their savings and identity. Devices that let you slurp up ATM mag stripe data and PINs are now kits that require no mechanical or electrical expertise at all, and will even email you the data so you don’t have to run the risk of grabbing the devices off the ATMs you’ve attached them to.

Should we reject computers and computer programming because they are used for ill? I doubt that would even be taken seriously as an idea, it’d be too inconvenient. The same thing with rejecting physics, chemistry, or biology because they have been misused.

Ev psych is easy to reject, it’s still new, and you can’t point, to my knowledge, at any work it’s yet done that would cause real inconvenience if it were forgotten and deleted. So, it’s an easy target for stuff like that panel.

I wish someone in the audience, some form of “skeptic” perhaps would have asked the members of the panel about any peer-reviewed research they’d read in the 90 days prior to the panel, so they were solidly familiar with the current state of ev psych.

I would imagine the answers would have been most illuminating.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

rayshul wrote:
rayshul wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:One other approach I saw but didn't copy was Watson saying (or, quoted as saying) something like this:

"Retweet then block them. This throws them to the wolves"

Note that several of these approaches are twitter-specific and others are presumably specific to a blog where one is admin.
How does it feel to be counted among the "harrassers" and people who deserve to be outed?
Should clarify that I mean that you are one of the people who has been exposed to doxxing, banning, silencing, and would presumably be one of the "worst" trolls - having also inspired blog posts about your evilness. I'm just interested how you balance being a terrible troll with the fact you're also a leader within the atheist community and appear to have devoted your life to women's-rights related social justice causes.
Yes, I see Zvan's comments as referring (at least in part) to me.

Are there all that many people she or "we" (she & other "feminist" A/S'ers) have doxxed? How many of them were what others would call "trolls"? How effective has this technique been at shutting down the stream of abuse Watson receives electronically?

(Thanks for the kind words; I can't claim to have devoted my life to SJ, or at least it doesn't look like that to me, but indeed ensuring reproductive rights & access for my patients & my clinic has been important in my work x 20 years - including when I worked in a Catholic health care organization for 5 years with an Evangelical Christian medical assistant - as well as aiming for overall thoughtful respectful medical care for any patient I encounter or who comes to our clinic - as well as voting for equality of legal rights of all sorts when the opportunity arises, as well as donating to causes the try to ensure access to care for those in greatest need, and access to reproductive-related care for women, and generally fairness in society. Oh and speaking out against bullshit, I hope.)

At any rate: I know a great way she/they could shut me/us down: make clear, solid arguments - then defend them including allowing questions & convincing counterarguments - and allow for differences of opinion in areas of value not fact.

And along those lines, I'd still advocate for the old "ignore the trolls" ("don't feed the trolls") approach. As has been mentioned before, it works well for some (e.g. Ana Kasparian). Shortly after Benson/Zvan gave out info on my identity, I had several contact requests via Skype from men I didn't know. That hadn't happened before, & so far has happened since. I don't know what they would have been like to interact with but saw no reason to find out, and simply ignored them. It's like spam - you just gotta delete it. (Obviously someone who indicates they know where you live or intends you specific harm is a more serious matter.)

Re the panel's comments: It's more of that shifting sand.

First, they don't seem to all meant the same thing when referring to "trolls". "Troll" in their discussion seems to range from Mabus; to the small number of comments phrased as actual threats; to the many extremely rude comments using gendered bad words that some on the panel get more than others; to "misogynists" (the definition of which is, as we know, extremely user-dependent and can just mean people who don't identify as feminists and don't act/talk/post as feminists are expected to; to people who persist in questioning the premises & arguments of the panelists & their buddies, including in spaces where it has not been made clear that such questioning will result not only in restriction in participation but also in retaliation.

Second, they don't all seem to be talking about the same arena with the same approaches available: twitter (where AFAIK it's easy to block people whose tweets you don't want to know about); presumably also blog comments and various forum comments and youtube comments and maybe email; allusions to concern of in-person harm (rape; and maybe Mabus).

Third, as I asked at the start here: is there any evidence that any of the approaches they mentioned works to achieve whatever the goals are (presumably stopping the undesirables from contacting them, already possible via blocking on twitter and closing youtube comments)?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Coyne and Pinker said PZ pulled a Rebecca. Beautiful. The slacker and her white knight are both ideological idiots, a two-fer.
bhoytony wrote:I don't doubt that the usual suspects will be attacking Coyne and Pinker in due course. A few may try to comment on WEIT, but I expect it will be mostly where they can control to debate.
Oolon must be going nuts. The klaxons are howling in his batcave, but he missed his first-post position. This'll require some exquisitely crafted bafflegab and that takes time, maybe more than he has.

I'm sure Zvan's already on it. If they haven't heard of the mighty Zvan, they're about to.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

BarnOwl wrote:
Guest wrote:Or maybe it's just an attempt to reproduce the blood stains on Noomi Rapace's two-piece, before any alcohol was involved.

Shit, this last page has been overloaded with baboonity overall.
Yeah, I think she's reproducing (so to speak) a scene from Prometheus. Still .... :lol:
That is fairly obviously what she is doing and she dines out on the kind of knee-jerk assumptions and trash-talking that's just happened here. She can justifiably call it petty and mean-spirited. Why hand her the propaganda victory? She's been dropping of the radar. Leave her alone unless she makes one of her customary nasty comments, and even them make doubly sure it's not a baited trap.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Do you really think FTB are "afraid" of shitting all over Coyne and Pinker just because they are obviously way more knowledgeable on the subject and their criticisms are completely accurate? They've done the same to plenty that fall in that category, Dawkins for example.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

justinvacula wrote:[youtube]LD-ZoRwztYw[/youtube]

The EWTS2013 speaker who said that her Marxism informs her feminism ^^

...and that George Bush used the ideology of feminism to justify the war on terror

among other things.

And here is an interview I had with another speaker who objected to this speaker:

[youtube]mlNwoR5w45U[/youtube]
Interesting that Sinead Kennedy uses the Strauss-Kahn incident as evidence of rape culture, the powerful patriarch capitalist that rapes the powerless woman at will.
When accused, Strauss-Kahn was unceremoniously yanked off of a departing plane and placed under arrest, his passport seized. He then resigned his position as head of the IMF in shame. He was considered as the leading candidate for the upcoming election of the French presidency, this incident ended his run for that position. Because of contradictory statements from the alleged victim and lack of evidence of the contended forced behavior the charges were later dropped.
If this were truly a rape culture we wouldn't even have heard about this encounter much less seem one of the most powerful men in the world have his career ended on what turned out to be a somewhat flimsy accusation.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Plenty of people at FTB will attack Coyne and Pinker, but PeeZus won't be one of them, except in the meekest mildest tone.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

bhoytony wrote:Plenty of people at FTB will attack Coyne and Pinker, but PeeZus won't be one of them, except in the meekest mildest tone.
I should have read further, I basically just repeated your exact arguement.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
Guest wrote:Or maybe it's just an attempt to reproduce the blood stains on Noomi Rapace's two-piece, before any alcohol was involved.

Shit, this last page has been overloaded with baboonity overall.
Yeah, I think she's reproducing (so to speak) a scene from Prometheus. Still .... :lol:
That is fairly obviously what she is doing and she dines out on the kind of knee-jerk assumptions and trash-talking that's just happened here. She can justifiably call it petty and mean-spirited. Why hand her the propaganda victory? She's been dropping of the radar. Leave her alone unless she makes one of her customary nasty comments, and even them make doubly sure it's not a baited trap.
Once she's generally understood for the lush she is things will start to dry up. And she can't play the victim card here since she has boasted of her excessive drinking on many occasions.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

No wonder these cons have to fly PZ around the world. They have important work to do.

Science, it works bitches.
PZ Myers:

It’s a bit of a blur — I attended lots of panels, including Gods of Geekdom (how do the Avengers reconcile having both atheists and gods on the team?)

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

bhoytony wrote:No wonder these cons have to fly PZ around the world. They have important work to do.

Science, it works bitches.
PZ Myers:

It’s a bit of a blur — I attended lots of panels, including Gods of Geekdom (how do the Avengers reconcile having both atheists and gods on the team?)
http://www.crisisoninfinitemidlives.com ... cepalm.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

16bitheretic wrote: As for the evopsych debate, it's good to see actual scientists speaking up now, because often I think evopsych is a field that is misrepresented to laypeople like myself by 2 very loud and very uninformed camps: 3rd wave/radfem/Tumblr style feminists and PUA-pick up artists.
People like Satoshi Kanazawa have spouted some amazing BS and thrown that into the mix. On a side note, I wish a certain article he had written about black females in the UK was still up so I could show you a glorious example of the type of unmitigated horseshit he is capable of.

The PUAs on the other hand have over time taken what they consider to be empirical observations and have been trying to retrofit various theorys from Psychology and Evolutionary Psychology into what is now called "Game".

By the way, this is a bit of a tangent but since I have mentioned Game:

Game itself is now taken seriously enough among laymen that it has jumped the boundary of the PUA groups, and has been taken up and adopted by different groups where the utility of it is to establish and maintain long term relationships.

I will repeat that. Game is no longer under the sole preview of the PUAs. When you find even Tradcon Christians and women like Susan Walsh adopting the terminology and concepts and discussing it seriously, it should be obvious that something is going on.

(but what exactly is up for discussion, or it should be)

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Just been reading the latest comments at WEIT and someone has posted this:
You do realize that some cultures would consider the “rape gene” as a positive?
Does anybody have any ideas what that refers to?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

AndrewV69 wrote: ..The PUAs on the other hand have over time taken what they consider to be empirical observations and have been trying to retrofit various theorys from Psychology and Evolutionary Psychology into what is now called "Game".

By the way, this is a bit of a tangent but since I have mentioned Game:

Game itself is now taken seriously enough among laymen that it has jumped the boundary of the PUA groups, and has been taken up and adopted by different groups where the utility of it is to establish and maintain long term relationships.

I will repeat that. Game is no longer under the sole preview of the PUAs. When you find even Tradcon Christians and women like Susan Walsh adopting the terminology and concepts and discussing it seriously, it should be obvious that something is going on.

(but what exactly is up for discussion, or it should be)
Well, let me take a stab at it. More and more men have decided turn into performing monkeys in an attempt to curry some form of female favor.
Presumably these are all people who figured just being themselves, and making the best of their lives wasn't going to cut it.
Personally, if I'm going to act that sounds a lot like work and I only work if I'm getting paid.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

bhoytony wrote:Just been reading the latest comments at WEIT and someone has posted this:
European and N. America feminists so they can prove "rape-culture" and the reasons why men "need" feminism? /shrug

More likely it is just a b.s one liner.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

LurkerPerson wrote:Do you really think FTB are "afraid" of shitting all over Coyne and Pinker just because they are obviously way more knowledgeable on the subject and their criticisms are completely accurate? They've done the same to plenty that fall in that category, Dawkins for example.
You might have a subtle point there.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Sulaco wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Just been reading the latest comments at WEIT and someone has posted this:
European and N. America feminists so they can prove "rape-culture" and the reasons why men "need" feminism? /shrug

More likely it is just a b.s one liner.
I just meant which cultures would think that. I imagine she is referring to an actual culture (and not the Slymepit).

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Not part of the FtB crowd, but while reading about Rosanne Barr's anti-GMO hysteria (=http://debunkingdenialism.com/2013/07/ ... p-end/here), I decided to read her blog. Big Mistake. There is one part, called, the Wikedary, which starts with this bit of "history". How many alarm bells of ideologues go off with this:
The work of the Wickedary is a process of freeing words from the cages and prisons of patriarchal patterns. Under the rule of snools, words are beaten down, banalized, reduced to serving the sentences of father time. They are made into ladies –in-waiting , wasted and worn in the service of thought stopping grammar.
Websters unwind the bindings of mummified/numbified words. This process involves Hearing/Speaking through Other Time/Space. It implies unwinding the clocks of fathered time, which is tidy time. The Timing of the Wickedary deliberately counters the death march of patriarchal deadtime.
Webster Weave the Wickedary in the Thirteenth Hour. This Time is Moon-measured, Moon-wise, beyond the reach of man-measured doomsday clocks, * the tedious timers and ticking time bombs of clock-ocracy. It is the Time of Crone-logical innovation/creation.
The Wickedary is a declaration that words and women have served the fathers’ sentences long enough. Websters ride the rhythms of Tidal Time, freeing words. Like birds uncaged, these Soundings rush and soar, seeking sister-vibrations. Wickedary words, when Heard, sound the signal that Tidal Time has begun.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Damn - missed it by one space. The link is http://debunkingdenialism.com/2013/07/0 ... -deep-end/

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

bhoytony wrote:
I just meant which cultures would think that. I imagine she is referring to an actual culture (and not the Slymepit).
I would assume that societies where Sharia is common is the idea - the cultures where they say men cannot control themselves and women have to be covered so that they do not drive men to uncontrollably rape them. It would also work with any fundamentalist culture, not just muslim - there have been the orthodox jews and some christians that feel this way too. Any culture that wants to use rape/sex/sexuality to try to justify repression.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Has there been any explanation as to how feminist denial of Evolutionary Psychology because of where it might lead is different from denial of evolution because it might lead to eugenics?

mordacious1

Wimbledon

Post by mordacious1 »

Congratulations to Andy Murray!
Andy Murray made it possible Sunday, winning his country's hallowed tennis tournament to become the first British man in 77 years to raise the trophy at the All England Club.
He's from Scotland, but nevertheless a good day for the entire UK.

[Now back to your regular programming...]

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

More on topic,
PZ will possibly throw something at Pinker from an alleyway, but there's no way he confronts him directly (it just isn't his, if you can call it this, style.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

I would hazard a guess that "Goren" is under the impression that a "rape" gene can be isolated in a similar manner that those that determine skin, eye and hair colour and so on can be identified.

Perhaps the way that the "warrior gene" in which males with 2, 3, or 5 repeats of the promoter to the MAOA apparently have a propensity for violent type behaviours.

It may or may not be completely genetically based though. It could be a combination of other factors. For example quite a few male rapists turn out to have been sexually abused during their formative years by older women:

HETEROSEXUAL MOLESTATION OF CHILDREN WHO LATER BECAME RAPISTS
http://www.amsciepub.com/doi/abs/10.246 ... 4.54.3.810

Perhaps the gender feminists who claim rape is all about power are not too far off the mark in a certain percentage of the cases. It could be that the 49% in that study are trying to reclaim the "power" they lost when they were abused?

Anyway, the subject of rape is not as simple I think, as some make it out to be and there appears to be a widespread assumption that rape is something only males do.

I seem to recall for example that around 18% of males are likely to have a propensity to rape, but I can not recall seeing any studies that examine females who indulge in the practise. Is it 18% also?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

mordacious1 wrote:More on topic,
PZ will possibly throw something at Pinker from an alleyway, but there's no way he confronts him directly (it just isn't his, if you can call it this, style.
The standard routine will be to set Svan to write a hit piece on Coyne and/or Pinker.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Badger3k wrote:Damn - missed it by one space. The link is http://debunkingdenialism.com/2013/07/0 ... -deep-end/
Roseanne Barr use to be a shining star in the sky of reason and she made many important contributions to fighting discrimination based on gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation. However, after becoming an anti-GMO activist, she is more like a meteorite burning up in the atmosphere. A very unfortunate development. As a public intellectual, Barr has a responsibility to not let herself be undermined by that kind of anti-scientific thinking.
I have no idea what he's talking about here. When was Roseanne ever an intellectual who made contributions to anything? Maybe she used to be a liberal darling because she had lesbian characters on her show, but she's always been nutty. Remember her bouts of recovered memory syndrome that ruined her family's lives?

It's funny how good Tom Arnold looks in hindsight. When she married him and made him an executive producer on her show, everybody thought he was such a loser. Now it's hard to deny that those were the show's best seasons.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

FWIW, eye color (iris color) is polygenic - two main genes, both on chromosome 15, play a major role in determining eye color, but ~16 genes in all affect the phenotype.

jimmy

Re: Wimbledon

Post by jimmy »

mordacious1 wrote:Congratulations to Andy Murray!
Andy Murray made it possible Sunday, winning his country's hallowed tennis tournament to become the first British man in 77 years to raise the trophy at the All England Club.

Indeed, quite a relief that's out of the way. Not sure about the reference to him being Scottish. If he wasn't Scottish he would be Welsh, English or northern Irish. Makes no difference to me. As far as tennis is concerned, unlike many sports, we have a British team.

"All England club" is a funny name for a tennis club though in some ways. Maybe it dates to before the union.

Seems like a good excuse to link to CGP Grey....it's good to be reminded that I live in a theocracy.

[youtube]rNu8XDBSn10[/youtube]

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:More on topic,
The standard routine will be to set Svan to write a hit piece on Coyne and/or Pinker.
Yes, this is certainly possible, if not probable, but that will only satisfy the baboons. I doubt if Coyne, Dawkins, Pinker, etc. know who Svan is and if they do (vaguely...and Jerry would be most likely to) they probably don't read her spew. If PZ directly responds to Pinker/Coyne on FTB (he won't do it at WEIT because he can't control the comments there), it will inevitably draw a response, so he won't do it. Have to wait and see if his toadies do a hit piece.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

It has to be done.

[youtube]ktiPJNRCMNU[/youtube]

After watching this, your mind will be cleared off the PZ-Watson picture that has tainted quite a few posts recently.

All hail Angus Podgorny!

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

bhoytony wrote:
Ah, as to that no idea. Now I am curious as well.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

So John Scalzi, science fiction author and occasional SJW, started an anti-harassment petition, and he's asking for cosigners:

http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/07/05/c ... follow-up/

Now, Scalzi's annoyed me in the past, but I don't really have a problem with this. Perhaps some of the Slymepitters might want to sign? I know the FfTB'ers are watching, and it might go a ways toward alleviating the bullshit brush they've tarred us with.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Percentage wrote:So John Scalzi, science fiction author and occasional SJW, started an anti-harassment petition, and he's asking for cosigners:

Now, Scalzi's annoyed me in the past, but I don't really have a problem with this. Perhaps some of the Slymepitters might want to sign? I know the FfTB'ers are watching, and it might go a ways toward alleviating the bullshit brush they've tarred us with.
I'm not about to do anything because the FTB crowd are watching me.
I may start a new petition for a No Murder Policy because if you don't have one then everyone is just going to go on a killing spree. Who's going to sign it with me?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Interesting that Sinead Kennedy uses the Strauss-Kahn incident as evidence of rape culture, the powerful patriarch capitalist that rapes the powerless woman at will.
When accused, Strauss-Kahn was unceremoniously yanked off of a departing plane and placed under arrest, his passport seized. He then resigned his position as head of the IMF in shame. He was considered as the leading candidate for the upcoming election of the French presidency, this incident ended his run for that position. Because of contradictory statements from the alleged victim and lack of evidence of the contended forced behavior the charges were later dropped.
If this were truly a rape culture we wouldn't even have heard about this encounter much less seem one of the most powerful men in the world have his career ended on what turned out to be a somewhat flimsy accusation.
Quit 'splaining!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Badger3k wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
I would assume that societies where Sharia is common is the idea - the cultures where they say men cannot control themselves and women have to be covered so that they do not drive men to uncontrollably rape them. It would also work with any fundamentalist culture, not just muslim - there have been the orthodox jews and some christians that feel this way too. Any culture that wants to use rape/sex/sexuality to try to justify repression.
In my view, it is the other way around. The repression is a byproduct of the goal to control of sexuality, and not the reason for it.

I have strongly suspected for quite some time that pretty much all social cultures and their practises, evolved as a means of dealing with the fact that humans are in general promiscuous, and that this results in what are perceived as undesired outcomes.

If you view repression as a means to a goal, and not the objective, this may give quite a different perspective and possibly result in more informed and beneficial social policy prescriptions.

If you only see repression, then lifting them without considering the effects and possible consequences without a palatable replacement mechanism could have some pretty dire results.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Percentage wrote:So John Scalzi, science fiction author and occasional SJW, started an anti-harassment petition, and he's asking for cosigners:

That the convention has a harassment policy, and that the harassment policy is clear on what is unacceptable behavior, as well as to whom those who feel harassed, or see others engaging in harassing behavior, can go for help and action.
I refuse to go to conventions unless they have a policy against people doing the wrong thing. If you disagree with me, you are a wrongist and a wrong thing apologist.

Look, no one disagrees with a "harassment" policy as a vague aspirational item, if a venue sees fit to have one. Saying "you should have a harassment policy" is easy. What's in the harassment policy, how it is applied and whether people will get ejected because some person thinks the only reason some other person might have a camera on a monopod is to take upskirt pictures and what's harassment directed at Rebecca Watson is just "fun" when engaged in by her drunken self, and policies covering everything up to whatever Amy Roth thinks is is "fake jewelry" is where the rubber meets the road.

People announcing we should have harassment policies is like people claiming we should have laws. Good so far. It's when cops in Texas start pulling over cars and confiscating all cash as drug money without due process is when people may start thinking the details of those laws actually count. Just kidding. They don't. People are fucking stupid that way when they think it only affects the other guy.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

bovarchist wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Damn - missed it by one space. The link is http://debunkingdenialism.com/2013/07/0 ... -deep-end/
Roseanne Barr use to be a shining star in the sky of reason and she made many important contributions to fighting discrimination based on gender, ethnicity and sexual orientation. However, after becoming an anti-GMO activist, she is more like a meteorite burning up in the atmosphere. A very unfortunate development. As a public intellectual, Barr has a responsibility to not let herself be undermined by that kind of anti-scientific thinking.
I have no idea what he's talking about here. When was Roseanne ever an intellectual who made contributions to anything? Maybe she used to be a liberal darling because she had lesbian characters on her show, but she's always been nutty. Remember her bouts of recovered memory syndrome that ruined her family's lives?

It's funny how good Tom Arnold looks in hindsight. When she married him and made him an executive producer on her show, everybody thought he was such a loser. Now it's hard to deny that those were the show's best seasons.

Yeah - I have no idea why he calls her a public intellectual. Probably because she's in the public eye and a public figure? I have no idea of any scientific studies, papers, or books she has been responsible for, nor any major debates she has had, that might give her some esteem as being intellectual. From looking at the blog, I would gather she's part of the far-left woo-loving crowd. Combining things like Patriarchy, anti-GMO, "natural" foods, etc - the recovered memory thing doesn't surprise me at all.

While looking into that, this was the second google hit the repressed memory myth. Another good one, the third link, is Elizabeth Loftus' piece The Reality of Repressed Memories.

The first link goes to someone who thinks Rosanne was abused, and according to her, Rosanne still believes she was, she just doesn't want to call it incest (WTF?). I'm more in line with the evidence, that this was false memories given during the time when the recovered memory BS was all over the place.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

From the link above:
For the record, the reason I’m doing this is that I know too many people who have been harassed at conventions, and who, if they want to go to a convention, have to factor a certain amount of harassment into their day.
The above may be true for him but I am unaware of it, never encountered it, and never seen solid examples of it (I have only ever attended tech related things like SHARE and GUIDE, DB2 and Linux user groups though).

I might have at one point been quite happy to go along with it, but there has been too much well poisoning, not to mention the shenanigans that the usual suspects like Adriana Richards have indulged in, to make want to get involved in any way shape or form.

Count me out.

Bill the Cat

Post by Bill the Cat »

Eskarina wrote:

It has to be done.

[youtube]ktiPJNRCMNU[/youtube]

After watching this, your mind will be cleared off the PZ-Watson picture that has tainted quite a few posts recently.

All hail Angus Podgorny!
I wish to make a complaint.

Carol Cleveland did not appear in that episode.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

bhoytony wrote:

I'm not about to do anything because the FTB crowd are watching me.
I may start a new petition for a No Murder Policy because if you don't have one then everyone is just going to go on a killing spree. Who's going to sign it with me?
Fuck you!

It is my right to murder anyone who even looks at me cross eyed, and I deeply resent your attempt to limit my right to express myself in this manner and erase my humanity.

Where do you live again? I wish to express my displeasure in person. You had better tell me otherwise you are oppressing me, therefore you are vile CIS scum who had better apologise while laying face down in the mud just before I exact just retribution for your crimes.