Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Badger3k »

BarnOwl wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:It's always reassuring to realize that a major part of atheism/skepticism's public face is truly committed to promoting anti-theist and skeptical values. Hardcore, I can't wait for Phisioproffee's appearance at the FfTB conference next week if his input will be anything like this:

http://i.imgur.com/y9bUEsL.png
Or you could go with the post that came over the main feed today. Three pictures of a tote bag. That's it. Nothing else, not even words or a description why. The dude is mental. Although, to be honest, I see him as having huge muttonchop sideburns, maybe a sherlock-holmes style pipe (the old kind, from the older movies), and I am not sure how he can get the extra consonants in his language, but I'm sure he'll make the effort. Maybe a Victorian waistcoat as well...
Re the tote bag: http://www.seabags.com/

You can attribute many of the PhysioProfferings to the fact that the guy is a privileged East Coast preppie douche with a massive ego. Unfortunately this type abounds in academic biomedical research - you can't swing a dead transgenic mouse at the Society for Neuroscience meeting without hitting about 5 of them. Many are quite successful, but that doesn't change the fact that they're insufferable preppie douches. He probably thinks he'll save the world from climate change by buying an overpriced tote bag made out of a recycled sail.
Crap - we didn't have hipsters when I went to college, at least not that I am aware of, but we had the preppies. Stuck up self-important useless twats. He probably feels he did his part for global climate change by buying that bag. I wonder what his idea was - trying to educate people into using them (if he had linked it, or discussed it, perhaps, unless he did an earlier post, but then why not reference it?) or he did it to show the people who know what he got how awesome and socially responsible he is - gaining suburban creed? Definitely not street creed. I'm not saying it's not a step in the right direction - I recycle (despite some downsides in the system), and have a trunk full of tote bags (you get a ton as a teacher) that I always forget to bring into the store with me. Oh well.

In honor of tote bags:[youtube]hFgtIziShmc[/youtube]

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:Cristina Rad made a joke that if all she ever did was deal with abuse on her You Tube channel she would have ended up in a mental institution
Oh, I think it'd be the holding conversations with herself that'd finally get her institutionalized.
But she also gets a lot of praise and compliments too. Things like, "WOW you are so pretty and so smart!" and "You are awesome!". So it's not like she's only dealing with abuse.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Hunt wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:And now...the lighter side of the news:

Nobody is that dumb.
I have some very, very bad news for you...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sacha, Richard Saunders is speaking right now on "Looking inside the mind of the true believers" - good talk.

FWIW, at this TAM, Cristina Rad is the only person I recognize as having somewhat active ties to FC(n) (recent Skepchickcon).

Also FWIW I don't have anyone on "ignore". Whenever I've done so, I immediately start wondering what I might be missing in those tantalizing hidden entries. Turns out, not much, but at least by scrolling past rather than having it hidden for me keeps me from having to suffer that anguish & puts the control back in my fingers.

Obviously, YMMV, with aplogies to whoever it is here who has said "YMMV" annoys him or her.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Tote bags are disgusting. Not too long ago here, a woman was handing out food at a softball game or something and got everyone sick because of her disgusting tote bag contaminating the food.

Don't be THAT lady!

(and yeah I read those parenting and housekeeping articles...when they aren't all about mommies, makeup, shoes, and feelings)

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

Hunt wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:And now...the lighter side of the news:

Nobody is that dumb.

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130712.html

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Badger3k wrote:This video I found looks interesting, but I can't translate it so I'm not sure what is going on. It looks like they laid a maze and let it grow into it, then gave it food and it moved so all the mold went to the food? Not sure where the shortest path part is, unless it was the bit in the upper right that "cheated".
[youtube]czk4xgdhdY4[/youtube]

My guess is, this from a Quatsch-Busters show, a tongue-in-cheek expose of how easy one can create sham experiments.

...care is taken to place the slime in equal divisions...
...the sections of slime resolve to rejoin and occupy the entire labyrinth...
... Now the actual test can begin: Find the shortest path from A to B...

When the slime is fed with oat flakes,
... the slime can slime can no longer stand still, and move toward the food sources
... it dives into the oat flakes...

... Despite everything, the rejoining between the two food sources never completely stops, as they traverse the labyrinth with powerful strands. A few though, seem to evade each other ... for example pull back the strands, leaving behind nothing but their trail...

(Time-elapse, takes a whole day to complete:)
...After a few hours, there exists through a few main strands a connection between A and B. Without a doubt, the shortest way. Intelligence test conducted!

... The slime resolve to depart the completely eaten out the labyrinth, and direct their attention to reproducing.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Glancing again at the screenshot, they may be talking about how the slime seeks out the main "channels" of the maze, while withdrawing from the dead ends, to find the shortest path. (I'm rusty, sorry.)

In any case, it's surely intended to be a spoof.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Hey - join us at http://tobtr.com/s/5120127. We've got Brian Allen.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Skep tickle wrote:
sacha wrote:
ERV wrote:Skep tickle! Would you make a little TAM summary for us when you get back?

Dr. Tickle is at TAM??

please send my love to Richard Saunders, please tell him I'm sorry I'm not there to "ham it up" with him, and hope he is feeling better, tell him it was such a pity he was ill when here in SF a few days ago... and Skeptickle, make sure to have a TAM TAM from Saunders at TAM.
I've heard his name, couldn't recall any details, just looked him up, neat that he has a wikipedia page titled "Richard Saunders (skeptic)" (oh and what a history in skepticism). Not sure I'll recognize him amongst the 700 other white males here, but if I do I'll relay your message. :)
famous Australian sceptic. He's selling origami. He's part of TAM itself. fantastic person, and so fun! Go find him! I'll send you a photo of us.

Slither

Post by Slither »

[quote="sacha"]
Dr. Tickle is at TAM??
/quote]

Oooh! Tickle, could you give Sue Blackmore some worshiping for me? Her book, "The Adventures of a Parapsychologist" was very influential to me, as it very nicely demonstrates the importance of proper experimental design, especially when you are personally very invested in the outcome of the experiment.

sacha

Post by sacha »

BarnOwl wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:It's always reassuring to realize that a major part of atheism/skepticism's public face is truly committed to promoting anti-theist and skeptical values. Hardcore, I can't wait for Phisioproffee's appearance at the FfTB conference next week if his input will be anything like this:

http://i.imgur.com/y9bUEsL.png
Or you could go with the post that came over the main feed today. Three pictures of a tote bag. That's it. Nothing else, not even words or a description why. The dude is mental. Although, to be honest, I see him as having huge muttonchop sideburns, maybe a sherlock-holmes style pipe (the old kind, from the older movies), and I am not sure how he can get the extra consonants in his language, but I'm sure he'll make the effort. Maybe a Victorian waistcoat as well...
Re the tote bag: http://www.seabags.com/

You can attribute many of the PhysioProfferings to the fact that the guy is a privileged East Coast preppie douche with a massive ego. Unfortunately this type abounds in academic biomedical research - you can't swing a dead transgenic mouse at the Society for Neuroscience meeting without hitting about 5 of them. Many are quite successful, but that doesn't change the fact that they're insufferable preppie douches. He probably thinks he'll save the world from climate change by buying an overpriced tote bag made out of a recycled sail.
tote bags $130 - $225 US

sacha

Post by sacha »

of-course-i-care1.jpg
(43.39 KiB) Downloaded 374 times

sacha

Post by sacha »

for Vacula:
hot or creepy.jpg
(42.45 KiB) Downloaded 361 times

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

LOL to both of sacha's latest. Much fun.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

JackRayner wrote: Okay. So, this whole "chestbeating" business comes up often...basically any time that anyone [even some of the females] shares an anecdote that involves sex/their sex life.

Partly out of boredom, partly out curiosity, and partly out of wanting to see if my droning on about my sex life dominates my posts here in the slymepit, so I can unfuck myself, I went back to my very first post from July 1st, and looked over the content of all of my posts from there up until my most recent post. I created a list with short summaries on each post's content, and you can view that here.

In green are posts I believe could pass for bragging. In orange, I misspelled Mykeru's name and didn't feel like screen capping again [there are probably more typos], and in blue is a question for you that you never answered, but which is unrelated to this.

The results: Out of 100 posts, *5* could be seen as me bragging, and only *2* of those [the 6ft tall blonde+elaboration] were made without solicitation. For the other three, Metalogic requested to hear why I may be biased towards RACK BDSM, Matt asked for pix of our un-fat, un-hideous wenches because some of us were making fun of Becky, and Lsuoma told me "Tits or GTOF".

Now, not to imply anything your state of mind, but if 5%-2% of my posts, within a sea of thousands of posts by others, stand out to you so much that they're becoming "boring", then I dare say that this sounds like an issue on your end, and that you should consider adjusting the amount of attention that you give to these posts, or just taking the easy out by setting me to "ignore." [I might just make it onto the top 5 yet! :mrgreen: ]

The same goes to anyone else here. :popcorn:
No offense, Jack, but your copying of post summaries into 3 notepads, re-sizing & lining them up neatly side by side, then screen-capping them and then colour coding the entries in green, orange and blue is getting really fucking boring. Maybe take it to another thread, yeah? :)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

bhoytony wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
No offense, Jack, but your chestbeating is getting really fucking boring. Maybe take it to another thread, yeah?
I suggest a naked cagefight versus Rysefn to decide Alpha Male (Restefn to choose the weapons, that should make it interesting. I'm guessing melon ballers or something).
Ok that made me LOL.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dave wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Steerzo is now #2 on the ignore list, just three behind Wonderbore!!!
Thanks for the update there Lymphoma. Although, if I'm not mistaken, you might want to check your calculations because if "Wonderbore" is 3 ahead of me that puts him at the -1 spot - assuming a zero position.
I expect you are mistaken, likely the fascist tit is saying there are only three more people ignoring the wonderbore than are ignoring you.

I guess I’m mistaken then as that seems a more reasonable and plausible alternative. Although it does suggest the problems that can follow where a phrasing suggests two or more interpretations. Something that seems to happen quite frequently.
Dave wrote:
Steersman wrote:However, relative to your comments about craniums and the reasons for posting here, you might want to consider that we all - the long and the short and the tall (bless them all) - post here because we all think that we have something worth saying.
Indeed, we all think we have something worth saying. We are not always correct in that belief.
Quite right. Although in many cases one doesn’t really know if that is the case or not until after one has said the something. While there is probably some truth to the aphorism that “it is better to keep one’s mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”, I expect there’s more utility in the other aphorism about “running it up the flagpole and seeing if anyone salutes”. Not that the latter is any guarantee that the something is right, but at least it seems to increase the probability of that. And of course once it’s on the table – or up the flagpole – one can use the responses as some feedback to correct or not one’s perceptions. As Marx – Groucho – put it, “These are my principles; if you don’t like them I have others”.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

bhoytony wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Steerzo is now #2 on the ignore list, just three behind Wonderbore!!!
Hey, I ignored him before it was cool to ignore him.
:lol: Props for that at least. Better that than following the crowd just for the sake of doing so.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
Steersman wrote:
DownThunder wrote: <snip>
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=gK0 ... frontcover
Have a read of this book, from around page 162 onwards for a few pages. This forms the historical basis for all of feminist's enamorment with the idea of objectification. Kant's assertion was that desire itself was degrading to one's humanity (ie human status) and lowered them to the level of "beasts"/animals. He specifically targeted male sexual desire towards females, and even proposed that trading sex for some gain was inherently degrading to ones humanity. ....
Looks like it might be interesting – thanks, although I’ll have to put it on the back burner for a bit.

However, what I would really like to know – as it seems to be the question on the floor – is to what extent have “Rebecca, Ophelia, and Stephanie” bought into - and expressed - that particular viewpoint.
Cunts Kants original argument was, when I remember correctly, that treating another human as a mere means to an end is morally wrong (exploitative). He reached that insight by chasing down who decides on means to reach ends, where he concludes that the end-point are humans themselves as the original "end", therefore humans cannot be mere means. In other words, humans are agents with intentionality and cannot be treated as if they were merely things. The passage noted above may be related to this thought, but don't forget he was also a child of his time and himself a fairly austere fellow. The dualism between human and nature, foreshadowing nurture/culture vs. nature, was in the “Zeitgeist” of the time. Take it with a grain of salt, haven't read on it for quite some time.
Interesting – been meaning to read some of Kant’s work – haven’t ever really done so, just bits and pieces that others have quoted him for.

But while that “mere” in your “mere means to an end” is certainly crucial, it seems that some feminists – Martha Nussbaum, in particular – seem to view any use of others as objectification, particularly in a sexual context which, of course, has to be anathematized in no uncertain terms. However, that seems rather problematic since, as I argued earlier, I think we all use each other to a greater or lesser extent whether for fixing our roofs, or for making our meals, or for sexual gratification – at least in the case of prostitution; I figure “reality” is entirely predicated on a quid pro quo arrangement – “all the way down” if the Standard Model of physics with its matter particles interacting by exchanging “force mediating particles” is any guide.

But the trick, of course, is to do so in a human manner – no doubt the import and consequence of “mere”. Which is, I think, not at all easy to discern or decide.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JayTeeAitch wrote:
JackRayner wrote: Okay. So, this whole "chestbeating" business comes up often...basically any time that anyone [even some of the females] shares an anecdote that involves sex/their sex life.

Partly out of boredom, partly out curiosity, and partly out of wanting to see if my droning on about my sex life dominates my posts here in the slymepit, so I can unfuck myself, I went back to my very first post from July 1st, and looked over the content of all of my posts from there up until my most recent post. I created a list with short summaries on each post's content, and you can view that here.

In green are posts I believe could pass for bragging. In orange, I misspelled Mykeru's name and didn't feel like screen capping again [there are probably more typos], and in blue is a question for you that you never answered, but which is unrelated to this.

<snip>
No offense, Jack, but your copying of post summaries into 3 notepads, re-sizing & lining them up neatly side by side, then screen-capping them and then colour coding the entries in green, orange and blue is getting really fucking boring. Maybe take it to another thread, yeah? :)
Well, I find his summary rather interesting. Maybe a bit obsessive, but somewhat amusing, and suggestive of a technique I might use myself. Particularly if Wonderist and I want to set up a Pit version of a "Rhetorical Assasination Squad" - a weapon for which might be to bore one's target to death ....

But you don’t have to read his posts, you know. Or maybe once you start reading any comment you think you’re obliged to read it through to the bitter end – not true.

Bill the Cat

Saccha - I just met my new neighbor

Post by Bill the Cat »

Her name is Daisy. A 12 year old mutt (kind of a spaniel - Chesapeake mix.) My neighbors just picked her up from a shelter. Bad teeth - ear infection. Old owners wanted to put her down. I sat down next to her - and there was instant love. She is now in a great home. Thought you would like to hear about her.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Has it been pointed out before that Rystefn = Techno Viking?

[youtube]oxrZzNw9Djk[/youtube]

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Steersman wrote: Well, I find his summary rather interesting. Maybe a bit obsessive, but somewhat amusing, and suggestive of a technique I might use myself. Particularly if Wonderist and I want to set up a Pit version of a "Rhetorical Assasination Squad" - a weapon for which might be to bore one's target to death ....

But you don’t have to read his posts, you know. Or maybe once you start reading any comment you think you’re obliged to read it through to the bitter end – not true.
He's only done it once and I put a smiley at the end of my post just in case it wasn't obvious I was joking. Seems I wasn't clear enough :)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

For those who may be interested, two entries from Razib

1) The chasm in perception between the humanities and science.
The eternal two cultures reprised
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... -reprised/

2)Using the word “Caucasian” when we mean "White".
Much ado about “Caucasian”
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... caucasian/

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Has it been pointed out before that Rystefn = Techno Viking?

oxrZzNw9Djk
I thought I recognized the face from somewhere. Can't be true though - Techno was built on House music but with Rystefn's construction techniques, House music wouldn't be due to mature until at least 2250.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I've had the pleasure of meeting EyeNoU & d4m10n at TAM! (Plus a bunch of never-Pitters.)

Have briefly spoken with a couple of the speakers (sorry sacha, not yet Richard Saunders) - meeting "celebs" is really not my thing, though Randi keeps urging everyone to talk to as many of the speakers as they can. *shrug*

sacha

Re: Saccha - I just met my new neighbor

Post by sacha »

Bill the Cat wrote:Her name is Daisy. A 12 year old mutt (kind of a spaniel - Chesapeake mix.) My neighbors just picked her up from a shelter. Bad teeth - ear infection. Old owners wanted to put her down. I sat down next to her - and there was instant love. She is now in a great home. Thought you would like to hear about her.

awwww! Always like to hear these stories! give her some love from me

sacha

Post by sacha »

Skep tickle wrote:I've had the pleasure of meeting EyeNoU & d4m10n at TAM! (Plus a bunch of never-Pitters.)

Have briefly spoken with a couple of the speakers (sorry sacha, not yet Richard Saunders) - meeting "celebs" is really not my thing, though Randi keeps urging everyone to talk to as many of the speakers as they can. *shrug*

Randi is a sweetheart. Always friendly.

go find Saunders!

sacha

Post by sacha »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Has it been pointed out before that Rystefn = Techno Viking?

fools on MDMA.

VAXherd

Post by VAXherd »

AndrewV69 wrote:For those who may be interested, two entries from Razib

1) The chasm in perception between the humanities and science.
The eternal two cultures reprised
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/ ... -reprised/
The article is OK, but I think commenter "Chas" has the more relevant insight:
Chas wrote:As a philosophy Ph.D. from France, I would like to point out that most English department postmodernists here in North America are not only ignorant about science, but just as crucially perhaps, regarding many of the "theoretical" references they seek to borrow from continental philosophers. The simplistic howlers I have come across in some papers horrify me for the simple reason that they are dragging my discipline in the mud. . . .
I know how he feels.

Postmodernists are straight up bullshitters. Understanding science better won't help them.

What might help is if their vulnerable targets, the public and policy makers, understood both science and philosophy. At least well enough to recognize that PoMos are wrong at both ends.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

sacha wrote:

fools on MDMA.
Guys; don't do steroids...

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Nerd of Redhead: he clueless fucking gift that just cannot stop giving.

http://i.imgur.com/OUabuju.png

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other News:

Zimmerman found not guilty (just saw it on TV)

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other News:

Gonna be a lot of black rioters shot dead tonight.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Trigger warning: If shameless self promotion upsets you, too fucking bad, I'm posting this anyway.
I'm pretty sure Sacha will approve of my idea of Justice. :drool:

[youtube]P7xB1Jubc6s[/youtube]

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

The Zimmerman news will upset the Baboons.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

bovarchist wrote:

I assume you mean by non-blacks? Don't let me put words in your mouth, correct me if I'm wrong. If so, I call bullshit, and we will see tomorrow who is correct.

welch

Post by welch »

Having been on a jury for a criminal case, I'm not that surprised. It's rather surprising the difference between what the jury sees and the courtroom camera sees.

For example, jury instructions are very specific: you are to ignore EVERYTHING that is not evidence. Opening statements? Pretty, but, not evidence.

Closing statements? not evidence. So what the jury is actually allowed to care about is a remarkably small amount of what you see.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
bovarchist wrote:

I assume you mean by non-blacks? Don't let me put words in your mouth, correct me if I'm wrong. If so, I call bullshit, and we will see tomorrow who is correct.
I think it is fair to assume that a certain number of people will be upset about the verdict. I will not be surprised if there are riots at some point, but I would not go out on a limb and predict that there actually will be or when.

If not riots then some sort of violence related to the verdict, indirectly or otherwise.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

welch wrote:Having been on a jury for a criminal case, I'm not that surprised. It's rather surprising the difference between what the jury sees and the courtroom camera sees.

For example, jury instructions are very specific: you are to ignore EVERYTHING that is not evidence. Opening statements? Pretty, but, not evidence.

Closing statements? not evidence. So what the jury is actually allowed to care about is a remarkably small amount of what you see.
Come on, welch, we're all human. The opening and closing statements of course play a huge part in jurors' decisions. These are the dramatic moments when they're actually awake, not the boring technical stuff about angles and trace evidence and case history.

If we were all iBots like yourself, then maybe justice would be truly just. But we ain't. :lol:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

AndrewV69 wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
I think it is fair to assume that a certain number of people will be upset about the verdict. I will not be surprised if there are riots at some point, but I would not go out on a limb and predict that there actually will be or when.

If not riots then some sort of violence related to the verdict, indirectly or otherwise.
I agree Andrew, there will likely be public disorder. I just had an issue with the kneejerk, and almost gleeful, phrase "Gonna be a lot of black rioters shot dead tonight".

ConcentratedH2O, OM

And now I realize that I have completely turned my argument around. When I said "gleeful", I meant in the sense that the commenter would see deaths of black people as positive reinforcement of their opinion that the US is a racist nation, not that the commenter dislikes black people.

welch

Post by welch »

welch wrote:Having been on a jury for a criminal case, I'm not that surprised. It's rather surprising the difference between what the jury sees and the courtroom camera sees.

Come on, welch, we're all human. The opening and closing statements of course play a huge part in jurors' decisions. These are the dramatic moments when they're actually awake, not the boring technical stuff about angles and trace evidence and case history.

If we were all iBots like yourself, then maybe justice would be truly just. But we ain't. :lol:
right. Okay, never mind. Thought I'd provide some supporting data to help illustrate why juries sometimes make odd decisions. CLEARLY, there was no need, you already know everything about Fl. criminal law.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

No TAM for me, but I heard Huntress perform in Scranton, Pennsylvania and attended a meet-and-greet following. Awesome stuff!

http://i.imgur.com/36l73b3.jpg

More info:
http://justinvacula.com/2013/07/14/hunt ... -festival/

Hopefully I will see Huntress perform once again in Bethlehem, PA in August!

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

George Zimmerman is a pathetic tough guy wanna be, too soft to start a fight and win it without a big gun in place of his micro-penis.
" this guy looks suspicious, looks like he's on drugs"
I'm not black or a member of a minority but I'm angry that this asshole can stalk and gun down somebodies' kid because of his adequacy problems.
There shouldn't be any surprise if there are demonstrations of public outrage.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM

welch wrote:

right. Okay, never mind. Thought I'd provide some supporting data to help illustrate why juries sometimes make odd decisions. CLEARLY, there was no need, you already know everything about Fl. criminal law.
Sorry, you touchy fucker. Sorry that your anecdote was not immediately written into the legal research canon. Sorry that you believe that my short argument was meant to be extrapolated to an expertise in "FL criminal law", when it was about average human responses to being a juror in a criminal trial. Sorry that you felt your position as alpha something-or-other was so under threat you needed to come back and embarrass yourself. Sorry that you can't access and/or understand scientific research.

http://www.academia.edu/1088545/The_inf ... age_awards

ConcentratedH2O, OM

free thoughtpolice wrote:George Zimmerman is a pathetic tough guy wanna be, too soft to start a fight and win it without a big gun in place of his micro-penis.
I'm not black or a member of a minority but I'm angry that this asshole can stalk and gun down somebodies' kid because of his adequacy problems.
Oh, for fuck's sake. His "micro-penis"?

You dumb fucker. And it's "somebody's", you fucking moron. Fuck.

Reap

Post by Reap »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:And now I realize that I have completely turned my argument around. When I said "gleeful", I meant in the sense that the commenter would see deaths of black people as positive reinforcement of their opinion that the US is a racist nation, not that the commenter dislikes black people.
I just hope we don't see people destroying their own community as a way of voicing their feelings. I've never understood that type of reaction.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Fuck. I guess that "somebodies'" is totally correct. I'm a cunt. Cunt. That's me. Fuck me, you prick. Fuck me into the ground. Fuck.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Useless Lurker, another reply to you, here: viewtopic.php?p=109421#p109421

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

free thoughtpolice wrote:George Zimmerman is a pathetic tough guy wanna be, too soft to start a fight and win it without a big gun in place of his micro-penis.

http://nomodels.com.ua/i/cache/Lara-Sto ... 633529.jpg

ConcentratedH2O, OM

I'm a fucking moron, and embarrassed that I dropped the "grammar nazi" suicide bomb. Fucking moron. Apologies free thoughtpolice for this, but not the other bits of my "argument", such as it was. Fuck.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Reap wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:And now I realize that I have completely turned my argument around. When I said "gleeful", I meant in the sense that the commenter would see deaths of black people as positive reinforcement of their opinion that the US is a racist nation, not that the commenter dislikes black people.
I just hope we don't see people destroying their own community as a way of voicing their feelings. I've never understood that type of reaction.
Yep. See "Mississippi Burning" for a classic example. All the racist cops needed to do was keep it confined to Niggersville.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

another lurker wrote:

[img]http://nomodels.com.ua/i/cache/Lara-Sto ... 633529/img]
Don't get it.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

As much as I think George Zimmerman is a piece of shit, I don't think anyone is really surprised at the verdict.
What bothers me more is all the talk about "will the black people riot?" This is far from the first time an unarmed black male has been shot and the shooter found not guilty. It's almost like people want a riot.

Zimmerman will go "free" but people who need to vent will probably just pick up the Michael Dunn case which will probably have a different outcome.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

bovarchist wrote:
No, I mean blacks. Why would non-blacks be rioting?

Have you seen how The Purge was a trending topic on Twitter for a while? Lots of people are talking riot, and I think a lot of scared white shopowners are going to be camping out in their stores with shotguns, and they're going to open fire at the least provocation.

As for being gleeful, I'm not. The intended tone of my comment was ironic. I don't want a riot, but if there is one, it's going to be Sword Guy versus Indy.

Hope that clarifies.

welch

Post by welch »

welch wrote:

Sorry, you touchy fucker. Sorry that your anecdote was not immediately written into the legal research canon. Sorry that you believe that my short argument was meant to be extrapolated to an expertise in "FL criminal law", when it was about average human responses to being a juror in a criminal trial. Sorry that you felt your position as alpha something-or-other was so under threat you needed to come back and embarrass yourself. Sorry that you can't access and/or understand scientific research.

http://www.academia.edu/1088545/The_inf ... age_awards
Oh wah. You want to believe what you want to believe, fine. I'm telling you what juries are told. If you choose to think I am lying, or some kind of emotionless robot, I can literally do nothing to change that opinion, nor do I particularly give a fuck. As well, you're arguing something I didn't actually say. I didn't say closing statements have no effect on jurors. I said that jurors are instructed to only use evidence in considering innocence or guilt and that opening/closing arguments are not evidence. You can listen to whatever you want, but you are supposed to only decide innocence or guilt on *evidence*, and in that arena, it means you are supposed to set aside the emotion of the opening/closing arguments. It helps if one side or the other does a shitty job, but nonetheless, the jury instructions are fucking clear: evidence is what matters when you actually decide that shit.

Now, I have no actual idea where you got "Jurors are never affected by opening/closing arguments" from what I was actually talking about, but hey, why should that matter, right?

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

That seems to be a fairly accurate portrait as described by the media narrative so I am not surprised to see it here. However, if you examine some of your current precepts you might change your opinion.

*shrug*

For starters, none of the parties involved were complete angels, and with that said I am not surprised at all that there was an acquittal because I did not buy the media narrative once I looked into it.

As soon as I saw the picture of what the 17 year old Martin looked like vs the 15 yr old Martin that the media was showing told me that something was up.

Finally, remember what I have said previously about fighting? Let me repeat it, try to not get into one especially as an adult.