Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Metalogic42

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Metalogic42 »

Can someone archive this forum in case Lsuoma pulls the plug?

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Gefan wrote:I think some people here (all of them with a great deal more patience than me) have taken time to engage Wonderist and help him.
I'm thinking of Matt Cavanaugh, for example.
It's not all been a pile-on and I can't be the only one out here who's reaction is a bemused shrug (plus an enjoyment of Bhoytoy's responses).
Wonderist expressly asked for advice on how to better communicate here, going so far as to open a new topic on it. Many people responded, often without kid gloves on. At least two of us, me & Aneris, went so far as to critique & copy edit specific Wonderian passages as examples. I also strongly suggested Cheney's Getting The Words Right, an amazing book, not expensive at all.

To all that, Wonderist said, 'ah, well, but I need to use all those words, you see.' Fine. I made a good-faith effort, but now I'm done engaging him. Nuf 'ced.

That's not just cause to ban him. If everyone who was ever tedious or boring was banned, there'd be none of us left here. imo, only the most egregious instances of abuse or obvious spamming/trolling merit banning. Or sockpuppets. Fucking hate sockpuppets.

All the dozing off gifs & pix were an appropriate, very hilarious, & even gentle, response. It's in things like that where the Pit shows its quality over the true pig-piling & ostracizing of FtB, A+ forum, etc.

NB: Posting pix of half-nekkid girlfriends or Sacha's booty should most definitely NOT be banned. But please, more trigger warnings before gory "when live action role-playing goes wrong' pix, m'kay?

P.S. I'm fixing to start foe-ing those of you who block-quote entire comment streams without the slightest editing. Try scrolling through that shit on your iPhone!

Someone wrote a bit of javascript that I use as a book mark, called "Scroll to end". It's pretty handy on an iPhone.

Code: Select all

javascript:scroll(0,document.getElementsByTagName('body')%5B0%5D.scrollHeight);

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Ah well. If the Pit is going to die I'd like to take this opportunity to say that you're all OK in my book. Even Wonderist.....and Mabus.
MKG is a bit of a mong though.

And I don't actually have an arse for a chin.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Lsuoma wrote:OK, I'm possibly going to shut the pit down, at least while I'm on vacation, possibly permanently. I'll make the decision between now and when I get on the plane at 1.40 PDT.

There are enough cunts here that make me not want to do this anymore, and you all know who are, you fucking troublemakers.
Wow. Since when did you become such a drama queen?

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

welch wrote:
Yes, yes, it's all my fault. This place would be a fucking paradise of sterile logic, turgid prose, and good feelings if not for me.

You're like rather a few people who had zero problems with PZ and the rest as long as they were crapping on theists and other groups you don't approve of. It was ONLY when that same shit started causing YOU problems that you suddenly discovered what proper comportment among skeptics and atheists is.

As long as he wasn't goring your ox, you cheered the little fucker on, and then were so very shocked when he decided your ox wasn't special either. Boo. Hoo.

I mean really, with money quotes like this:
debaser71 wrote:And to think at one time he was rubbing elbows with Richard Dawkins and people of that caliber...P.Z. blew it big time with his antics. I hope his hard on for R.W. was worth it.
Poor debaser. His awesome superfriends weren't. Crushing I imagine.

It's the same thing here. You have zero problem when it's your "side" doing all the shitting on. It's only when it happens to you that OMG, BABOONS! FTB!

But it's okay. Just pretend it's allll my fault. The world would be a perfect place if someone offed me this afternoon, right? Of course. Life is so much easier when all your problems are someone else's fault. So blame it all on me if that gets you through the day.
I scroll past baboon speak, cunt.

welch

Post by welch »

debaser71 wrote:
welch wrote:
Yes, yes, it's all my fault. This place would be a fucking paradise of sterile logic, turgid prose, and good feelings if not for me.

You're like rather a few people who had zero problems with PZ and the rest as long as they were crapping on theists and other groups you don't approve of. It was ONLY when that same shit started causing YOU problems that you suddenly discovered what proper comportment among skeptics and atheists is.

As long as he wasn't goring your ox, you cheered the little fucker on, and then were so very shocked when he decided your ox wasn't special either. Boo. Hoo.

I mean really, with money quotes like this:
debaser71 wrote:And to think at one time he was rubbing elbows with Richard Dawkins and people of that caliber...P.Z. blew it big time with his antics. I hope his hard on for R.W. was worth it.
Poor debaser. His awesome superfriends weren't. Crushing I imagine.

It's the same thing here. You have zero problem when it's your "side" doing all the shitting on. It's only when it happens to you that OMG, BABOONS! FTB!

But it's okay. Just pretend it's allll my fault. The world would be a perfect place if someone offed me this afternoon, right? Of course. Life is so much easier when all your problems are someone else's fault. So blame it all on me if that gets you through the day.
I scroll past baboon speak, cunt.
Of course you do dear. That's why you make sure to reply to it so reliably. Because you don't even read it.

I can think of no higher proof of your utter apathy towards me than the rage tears running down your face, in little apathetic rivulets, as they fall, spelling "i don't care" on the floor.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pitchguest wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:OK, I'm possibly going to shut the pit down, at least while I'm on vacation, possibly permanently. I'll make the decision between now and when I get on the plane at 1.40 PDT.

There are enough cunts here that make me not want to do this anymore, and you all know who are, you fucking troublemakers.
Do you really think you're helping, twat?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

welch wrote:Someone wrote a bit of javascript that I use as a book mark, called "Scroll to end". It's pretty handy on an iPhone.

Cool. How does one install that?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Lsuoma, is some of your concern the recent Mabus activity?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Lsuoma wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

Do you really think you're helping, twat?
No. What's going on? I see you being an egotistical shit threatening to shut the forum down because you're feeling pissy - or about others here. Which is it? Because I'm willing to listen if you're willing to talk.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

welch wrote:
Of course you do dear. That's why you make sure to reply to it so reliably. Because you don't even read it.

I can think of no higher proof of your utter apathy towards me than the rage tears running down your face, in little apathetic rivulets, as they fall, spelling "i don't care" on the floor.

fuck you baboon douchebag...most times I have you on ignore.

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
welch wrote:Someone wrote a bit of javascript that I use as a book mark, called "Scroll to end". It's pretty handy on an iPhone.

Cool. How does one install that?
Create a new bookmark, and put in that javascript as the URL. when you tap on the bookmark, it executes the JS, and you are now at the bottom of the page.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Whenever Melissa McEwan is feeling blue, all her shakies send her {{{{{VIRTUAL HUGS}}}}!!!! They also pretend they've just made Melissa her favorite dessert (a Baskin-Robbins store.) Then they suggest Melissa virtually help herself to a virtual beverage of her choice from the Imaginary Tray of Soothing Beverages.

I bet if we all did that for Lsuoma, that'd cheer him right up! He's probably just out of spoons right now.

welch

Post by welch »

debaser71 wrote:
welch wrote:

fuck you baboon douchebag...most times I have you on ignore.
'Course you do little Bun-Bun. Never have I ever seen such perfect ignoring as your lightning-fast replies to me. Why, were you to ignore me any more effectively, you'd have to be sitting on my lap.

But then, it's no fun to ignore someone if they don't know they're being ignored, is it.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

@Matt Cavanaugh:

Please make another comment on my blog so I can see if it goes into moderation or not.

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Whenever Melissa McEwan is feeling blue, all her shakies send her {{{{{VIRTUAL HUGS}}}}!!!! They also pretend they've just made Melissa her favorite dessert (a Baskin-Robbins store.) Then they suggest Melissa virtually help herself to a virtual beverage of her choice from the Imaginary Tray Trough of Soothing Beverages.

I bet if we all did that for Lsuoma, that'd cheer him right up! He's probably just out of spoons right now.
You had a spelling error. I fixed it.

I'm a helper. :D

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Mykeru wrote:
mikelf wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:@Lsuoma:

This thing with Wonderist really, really does not sit well with me. It sits so unwell that for the first time, I'm seriously considering leaving the pit. I mean, who's next? What if I'm next? Do I now have to proofread my posts to make sure they're not boring enough to get me restricted to one forum? Should I self-impose word limits, just in case?

The thing I've always liked about the pit was that everyone could post freely. Even if they were fucking retarded. Even if their posts were so full of bullshit that everyone hated them - they were still allowed to say what they wanted to say. That's very important to me. But if that's no longer what the pit is, well, I guess I'm done with not just the pit, but with forums in general. Where else am I supposed to go to get that? The pit was unique in that regard.

Was.
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, this isn't Congress or Parliament or the United Fucking Nations. The fate of exactly nothing rests on what takes place here. What is it with all this high dudgeon about freeze peach? A contact high of self-regard from whatever Wonderist is smoking?
This is a small discussion board that Lsuoma has graciously agreed to host. And if the host has decided one of the guests has overstayed his welcome, he has every right to tell the person to take his fucking clove cigarettes and disquisition on proper debating technique and fuck right off.

Don't like it? Start your own discussion board where you can solve the world's problems without the rights of the terminally boring being trampled upon. In fact, here is one that certainly looks to be a much more promising locale free from arbitrary moderation rules:

http://atheistskepticdialogue.com/

No need to thank me.
As someone who has been booted off more discussion forums for arbitrary capricious and butt hurt reasons than you've had hot dinners, I would just like to note that the "our house our rules" manner of thinking that all forums seem to gravitate towards has roughly the same effect on discussion as the hot sun on a puddle.
^^^^
This, so much this.

That board owners want to protect themselves from any kind of legal trouble, I understand. That they set their own rules, too. What never ceases to amaze me is when fora that originally highly value free speech start censoring/moderation, usually for ludicrous reasons. They die an ugly death. The worst I saw was an anti-cult forum suddenly publishing the posters' IP-addresses, without any warning. Nasty.

As far as I'm concerned, I've never put anyone on "Ignore", because my scroll-fu is strong. To the "Don't like it? Start your own forum" crowd I'd like to say: "Don't like it? Don't read it!"

@lsuoma: Stop the White Knighting, you fascist tit. I can defend myself.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

another lurker wrote:http://slymepit.com/phpbb/
*sigh*

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Nothing going on in baboonland so we all start fighting each other? We must be bored.

VAXherd

Post by VAXherd »

Since I might not get the chance later, let me offer my sympathy for Lsuoma's actions re Wonderist.

It's a sad fact that discussion fora are highly subject to Gresham's law. Their natural fate is to become a handful of people bickering endlessly about nothing.

It's another sad fact that any pursuit of ideological purity ends in disaster. Even Freedom. Life is not pure, judgment calls are always questionable, and sometimes Slack is a needed thing.

Just sayin'.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Pit is back!!! \o/

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

It's not working for me, I just see a message saying the site is temporarily down and I can't post :(

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

JayTeeAitch wrote:It's not working for me, I just see a message saying the site is temporarily down and I can't post :(
Wait. What?

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Pit is back!!! \o/
It shouldn't have been down in the first place.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Nobody owes you a forum.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

So yeah, I'm pretty upset that the pit was down. Here's why.

I can only see two reasons the Lsuoma would shut it down. The first is if he thinks that there would likely be something posted while he was away that he'd have to moderate. I can't see why he would think this, except if he'd decided to take a more restrictive approach to moderation. Doing so would be, IMO, bullshit. The second reason is that he just felt like being petty and closing it down for awhile because some people were annoying him. This too is bullshit.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Gumby wrote:Nothing going on in baboonland so we all start fighting each other? We must be bored.
Speaking of baboonland, did anyone go over there to see if there was any reaction to the interregnum on The Pit? I was mildly curious how they'd deal with the obvious tactical problem of gloating without getting banned for having been over here in the first place.

Or am I attributing consistency to them?

My bad.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

The Pit was down? Oh noes. I've been asleep and missed all the excitement.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Please don't, man. The fact that everybody feels able to criticize you for a relatively minor decision (temporary exile while you sleep) is proof that you're doing a great job. You really are a phenomenal admin. You volunteered for the role, and were so consistent that this place probably actually made an impact in the scene. I'm 100% certain that Skep Tickle isn't the only one involved in regional/national activism with a pseudonym here. You personally reached out to me, more than once. I appreciate the crowd that you (and Abbie) nurtured, and I appreciate the dedication you show considering the long-term nature of this project. Fuck all the 'just like ftb' statements. Not even close.

Frustratingly, I like wonderist's non-'technique' posts. His off-site behavior seems to be generally appreciated by some here. I think we have developed a few ways to handle his shittier posts -
  • the yes dear
    the cute animal flopping over animated gif
    the ignore
    the scroll wheel
    the photoshop
    the wonderist said <snip>
    etc.
I use a mixture of the above, anyway.

Lastly, if you closed the pit, wonderist would just claim victory... for his technique. <shudder> Keep that wonderbra around to support your fascist tits.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Lsuoma wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:It's not working for me, I just see a message saying the site is temporarily down and I can't post :(
Wait. What?
Yeh, that joke didn't make sense did it. I didn't think it through sufficiently.

Have a good holiday!

Remick

Post by Remick »

Metalogic42 wrote:
/cry

It was down for what? 90 minutes, max? eat lunch, get some work done, read an article, but fucking relax.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Hey guys, I just want to stop and say that I'M FLOUNCING! Yay! ... right? Should anyone care?

I know that Lsuoma has all the right to do with the Slymepit whatever he wants to. I also fully realize that some people went overboard on the name-calling on him, crying "baboonitis" and "fucking hypocrite". The probability of a Mabus surge along with that certainly didn't help the matters.

But then again, it's the second time Lsuoma speaks of "closing the Pit". This time he even took it down for a while. So, next time it may be for real. Who knows? What I do know is that I don't like that. Lsuoma has the right to do with the Pit whatever he wants, I have the right to not like and go tie my horse on another tree. Maybe I'll go to Pyshioproffe's blog, if not just so I strangle myself after three or four "fuckeuppes" and "Moby Dickes" and swear to never read anything on the internet ever again.

So, thank you all for the jolly good times, the all the jokes and gags, and the knowledge of baboon's tactics and how to fight them. When Brazil gets its inevitable wave of radfems douches, ten years from now (because we're always copying the worst USA has to offer, ten years later), I'll know what to do. I'll miss you cunts, but that's part of life.

Oh, and Lsuoma, I don't know what you are facing right now or what, but please chill donw a little, man. It's the internet, there will always be people pilling on anyone for anything. The last couple of days you wrote like you were having enough of all that shit, and frankly, that's what the Social Justice Victims try to do every day, the difference being that they know how to cash in their inconveniences. Do not let this kind of thing take the best of you.

Sorry for any inconveniences during this brief time I interacted with you all, and I hope you guys do continue to carry business as usual. Fight the good fight against the old suspects; a internet where PZ Myers and Rebecca Watson are "THE proeminent voices of atheism" is a internet that failed miserably on everything but delivering porn (and, knowing some of the ridiculous minds of the bunch, they might as well try to stop the porn too).

Now you all excuse me, I have to try to make some sense of a country that expends millions on a World Cup, on the Olympic Games and on a fucking Pope visit while hospitals are collapsing everywhere. A fucking Pope visit, for crying out loud! The fucker used to live on a neighbor country and nobody cared, now he's so important they have to spend millions to secure his "divine" gay-hating ass. He should pray for any bullet to not hit him, since he's fucking infallible.

Anyway, I'll just put one of my favorite songs ever right there, which I think may be relevant:

[youtube]xGytDsqkQY8[/youtube]

PS: A special "THANK YOU" to Abbie Smith, who showed me that even serious, competent scientists can have a good sense of humour. If PZ Myers don't want to be on the same room as you because of his precious feefees about the Blue-Hair White Dragon, it's his loss and your profit.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Metalogic42 wrote:So yeah, I'm pretty upset that the pit was down. Here's why.

I can only see two reasons the Lsuoma would shut it down. The first is if he thinks that there would likely be something posted while he was away that he'd have to moderate. I can't see why he would think this, except if he'd decided to take a more restrictive approach to moderation. Doing so would be, IMO, bullshit. The second reason is that he just felt like being petty and closing it down for awhile because some people were annoying him. This too is bullshit.
Yeah, no one here is ever petty.....

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Eskarina wrote:
Mykeru wrote: <snip>
As someone who has been booted off more discussion forums for arbitrary capricious and butt hurt reasons than you've had hot dinners, I would just like to note that the "our house our rules" manner of thinking that all forums seem to gravitate towards has roughly the same effect on discussion as the hot sun on a puddle.
^^^^
This, so much this.

That board owners want to protect themselves from any kind of legal trouble, I understand. That they set their own rules, too. What never ceases to amaze me is when fora that originally highly value free speech start censoring/moderation, usually for ludicrous reasons. They die an ugly death. The worst I saw was an anti-cult forum suddenly publishing the posters' IP-addresses, without any warning. Nasty.
Indeed.

This place is and has been and, hopefully, will continue to be an impressive place – sort of like organized chaos, an emergent system of its own. But I can well see that there is some necessity for rules of some sort. However, as the evidence from various revolutions attests, there is a natural tendency for those rules to progress to stasis and catatonia and death. Bit of a trick or an art-form to use the reins lightly, to find just the right type of rules that permit the emergence, the life, to evolve.

And while I think Lsuoma may have tried some these earlier, one might suggest that putting some restrictions on the length of posts, or the frequency of them might be somewhat of an equitable solution to several of the problems discussed recently. And the spoiler system worked well, although there may be insurmountable problems with its use.

Lsuoma: like your new banner; you may be a "fascist tit" at times but you're our fascist tit ... ;-)

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Lsuoma, you mentioned going to Amsterdam. Three words for you, brother: hookers and pot.
All will be well.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

:lol: :clap:

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Lsuoma, it would be helpful to at least get a comment from you regarding the future direction of the pit, and whether this might possibly happen again.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

parody Accountant wrote:The fact that everybody feels able to criticize you for a relatively minor decision (temporary exile while you sleep) is proof that you're doing a great job.
I do think he's done an excellent job in the past, however...

I'm not criticizing him because I feel like I can do so without being banned. I'd open my big fat mouth anywhere, even if I thought I was very likely to be banned. Hell, I'm banned (along with many others) on Ophie's blog because I opened my big fat mouth to criticize her.

Anyway, like I said earlier, I do understand that being an admin can be pretty stressful work, and I also understand if Lsuoma is getting tired of it. But if that's the case, then his best move is to give someone else the job, not to close down the forum - even temporarily. The pit needs to stay true to its original vision, or it's not the pit at all.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Wow, that was one quick flight to Amsterdam.

sacha

Post by sacha »

Fuck Wonderbore - all of you fucking gamers, and no one thought to tell me about this?

http://www.ugo.com/girls/99-hottest-fic ... ha-ivanoff

Ice Queen!
Sasha Ivanoff
@FrostNip_Sasha

"I can be cold hearted but my logic is undeniable. I'm as deadly as I am beautiful. The Ice Queen"
http://anarchyreigns.wikia.com/wiki/Fil ... _Ice_Queen

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

windy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So basically, the default is female. The female pattern is basically the default pattern for an embryo or foetus. Skep Tickle presumably is trying to diplomatically point this out.
I think she was trying to diplomatically point out that you were wrong with your assumption that your hypothetical gene would most likely be located on the X chromosome.
Of course she was. How someone could interpret it otherwise is beyond me.
windy wrote: That's the problem with using the Socratic method with you, you just think people are agreeing with you!
Get a grip. You are projecting and not for the the first time either.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Metalogic42 wrote: <snipped> The pit needs to stay true to its original vision, or it's not the pit at all.
The 'no-threats' rule seemed to emerge from the ERV days. Yet Mykeru's icepick was tolerated.... fuck fuck fuck I just channeled wonderist and oolon at the same time.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote:Fuck all the 'just like ftb' statements. Not even close.
Agreed. Whatever the faults of the Pit, we're light years from the baboonery of FtB.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote: <snipped> The pit needs to stay true to its original vision, or it's not the pit at all.
The 'no-threats' rule seemed to emerge from the ERV days. Yet Mykeru's icepick was tolerated.... fuck fuck fuck I just channeled wonderist and oolon at the same time.
Which, oddly enough, perfectly explains your avatar's facial expression.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Metalogic42 wrote:Lsuoma, it would be helpful to at least get a comment from you regarding the future direction of the pit, and whether this might possibly happen again.
It was a mistake to put a North Korean dictator with a woman's body and fake tits in charge of the Pit. I could have predicted this.

Still, I hope he enjoys himself in my birthplace, Amsterdam.

windy

Post by windy »

AndrewV69 wrote:
windy wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:So basically, the default is female. The female pattern is basically the default pattern for an embryo or foetus. Skep Tickle presumably is trying to diplomatically point this out.
I think she was trying to diplomatically point out that you were wrong with your assumption that your hypothetical gene would most likely be located on the X chromosome.
Of course she was. How someone could interpret it otherwise is beyond me.
So you admit you were full of shit all along, awesome.
AndrewV69 wrote:
windy wrote: That's the problem with using the Socratic method with you, you just think people are agreeing with you!
Get a grip. You are projecting and not for the the first time either.
Yes dear, anything you say dear.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

sacha wrote:Fuck Wonderbore - all of you fucking gamers, and no one thought to tell me about this?

http://www.ugo.com/girls/99-hottest-fic ... ha-ivanoff

Ice Queen!
Sasha Ivanoff
@FrostNip_Sasha

"I can be cold hearted but my logic is undeniable. I'm as deadly as I am beautiful. The Ice Queen"
http://anarchyreigns.wikia.com/wiki/Fil ... _Ice_Queen
Sasha Ivanoff! With a name like that I would be surprised if someone here really knew about it and did not think to mention it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

The thing that pisses me off the most is that Lsuoma is only 1000 kilometers away and won't even come give me a visit. What a fascist Hirundinidae!

Inlaws are in, and they brought vodka. Don't ask...

windy

Post by windy »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:The thing that pisses me off the most is that Lsuoma is only 1000 kilometers away and won't even come give me a visit. What a fascist Hirundinidae!
Fascist swallow? It's worse than we thought then.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast

[youtube]sZ9b7Ff0ZhE[/youtube]

Stunt Whisper

Re: How German sounds like

Post by Stunt Whisper »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Mmm, I don't see that Wonderist has done anything egregious warranting corralling, and certainly those who don't want to read his posts don't have to - same is true for any other member. But it's Lsuoma's sandbox to do with as he wishes. And Lsuoma did warn a while back (before today) that constraining Wonderist to a side forum was an approach he might take.
I like Wonderist. A bit longuish at times, but quite ok, IMO.
Me3

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Maybe it's just me but I think FTB is just too shit and predictable to bother with nowadays and half the time they're relying on this place to keep their shitty blogs on life support.
If the Pit closed I'd miss a lot of the personalities on here but does this place really have a point anymore?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Oh, are we posting awesome music now?
'K then.

[youtube]_1YsFgDaEeo[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

@ Bhoytony.
For a misanthropic haggis farmer you have a lot of cute animal pictures and gifs.

AndrewV69

Re: How German sounds like

Post by AndrewV69 »

Southern wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Andrew, re: my Ramadan comment.

It's the noise going on until midnight. My neighborhood has a very large Muslim community. In my building alone, out of 16 flats, only 3 are occupied by non-Muslims. All the others are Muslim families with kids, and they do celebrate every evening until at least midnight.

Not to say that everything about Ramadan is bad. For exemple, our lovely upstair neighbors often bring us Tunisian dishes and pastry as they celebrate. But the noise, dear FSM!
That, and also the fact that Ramadan is pretty stupid. Seriously, fasting? For what, exactly? For Allah?
Well, quite apart from everything else, it is an exercise in self-discipline. You could try it for a couple of days yourself to appreciate what is involved.

Basically, no food or drink during daylight hours. If you do try it, remember not to overeat (like I did the second night) at nightfall.

The part that is driving Phil nuts is that the evening meal (iftar) is quite often a family/community event with all the children up and about and excited way past their bed time.

The other part that some might find disruptive is getting up before dawn for a meal. For quite a few this means getting only around four or five hours sleep on top of the fasting, and of course no sex is allowed at any time for the full month.

*shrug*

Anyway, unless you are Muslim there is no need to do the full month. But if you do a couple of days, like I said earlier, you may appreciate how much self-discipline is involved. The more strict observances do not allow you to swallow your own saliva either and of course no smoking.