Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Southern

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Southern »

Gumby wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:OK, I've spent a bit of time researching the IPs coming in, banning some spambots that kept on trying to automatically register, and also setting stuff up so that legitimate bots and spiders are identified correctly. It feels a lot snappier than it did earlier.

What do other people think?
Well, seeing as how you got a few people to panic over the sudden appearance of the “bot” entries…well done.
No need to hyperbolize... there was no "panic". Merely observations. Sheesh.
http://i.imgur.com/q2BRhWn.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

[youtube]KodZy7snKI4[/youtube]

:clap:

Paraphrasing one part:
- Every minute you wait to report a rape destroys evidence.
- Not reporting a rape is like burying the body and getting rid of the gun.

Other parts include (again, my paraphrasing here): commenting on burden of proof and justice; acknowledging how unpleasant it is to report an incident to the police, especially sexual assault; explaining why the police ask so many questions and come across as suspicious of claims made (because otherwise there wouldn't be a case for the prosecutor to take to court)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Gumby wrote:
Fuck that primitive Flintstones shite. I have a 9600 k-baud modem! The characters fill the screen so fast I can't even see them pop up one by one!
I had a US Robotics Dual Standard HST. Cost $600 under the SYSOP program. I was GOD and could download under YModem-G at 1716cps on a clean connection.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Skep tickle wrote:Tribble - sorry to hear about your wife's recent diagnosis (& surgery already?) - but glad to hear it's small & localized.

curriejean - kudos on your fighting back the insidious creep* of Christianity! And what sounds like a great group of people working together in the effort.

(*the slow movement, not the type of person, though those exist too)
Thank you Skep (and everyone). Just the biopsy. Treatment plan based on the full tumor profile will be discussed on Tuesday. It is relatively small at this point. And it's a very common type with an 85% (general population) survival rate so we feel like we'll have good odds seeing as we're early in detection and the single tumor she has is still small.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

bhoytony wrote:
RazielWasAlone wrote:
codelette wrote:She feels empowered!
http://i.imgur.com/UWLdHCE.png
Whoa, she's hot!! :o

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3954/01mj.png
Is she a Noh performer?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Gumby wrote: No need to hyperbolize... there was no "panic". Merely observations. Sheesh.
Panicky observations.
Whatever makes you feel like you're right.

justinvacula

FFRF annual convention fundraiser

Post by justinvacula »

As suggested by some members here -- as opposed to fundraising to attend TAM -- I have started an Indiegogo fundraiser to fundraise for my attendance at the Freedom From Religion Foundation's 2013 annual convention from September 27-28. As usual, I will live tweet from the conference, host on-the-scene episodes of Brave Hero Radio, and seek interviews with speakers/attendees.

All support including donations and promotion is appreciated.

Thanks!

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Comment about Sarkesian's Youtube series:
14 yr old girl wrote:Idc about who's the hero in the game I just wanna kill people and steal cars and stuff ^_^
Sometimes you just feel like the world's gonna be OK.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Gumby wrote: No need to hyperbolize... there was no "panic". Merely observations. Sheesh.
Panicky observations.
Nuh uh.

http://i.imgur.com/dD86T5L.png

(can't believe I actually wasted time making that...)

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tribble wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Badger3k wrote: <snip>
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-663629

... I did find this astonishing (well, not really considering the source):

Anthony K said: ".... Except that Pascal’s Wager is an attempt at answering the absolute lack of evidence for the existence of a deity, whereas we actually do have substantial evidence for the existence of victims of rape who need support and understanding."

The only evidence they have is PZ's say-so. That's the entirety of their evidence. I have friends who have seen ghosts, so they must exist.
Entirely different [kettles] of fish, I think. Lots of evidence for people being raped, diddly squat for ghosts. I think you're being hyperskeptical in discounting PZ's tale. While he might well be a little crazy and very dogmatic, I can't see him being stupid enough to create that out of whole cloth. The more plausible question, in my view at least, is whether there is much in the way of credible evidence to justify that woman's account. ...
Captain Renault: I'm shocked... shocked to find that gambling is going on in there.
young employee: Your winnings sir.
Captain Renault: Thank you very much.
:-) Casablanca. Interesting example though of the consequences of passing laws against types of behaviour that large percentages of the population support. Tends at least to bring the law itself into some disrepute.
Tribble wrote:I would not be shocked to find a false claim somewhere in the chain. There are reasons for that. But I'm not going to go through the forensics of false-rape claims as my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday (the very common and treatable IDC) and while Myers is providing a good distraction and I'm getting a [wonderful] frisson of schadenfreude out of it, I'm avoiding a lot of the heavy shit that ends up in rancour for the time being.
Sorry to hear about your wife’s cancer, although it sounds like she’s dodged a bullet which is something to be thankful for. But something that tends to cause the cold winds of mortality to blow up our backsides. My sister-in-law now has “late-stage melanoma” which has led to a “last-ditch” recourse to “Yervoy”.

But I do wonder exactly which “chain” you have in mind. My point was, in effect, that there was some justification for Anthony K’s argument, although I think he went overboard in the “believing” department. One thing to think that an argument or anecdote is plausible, quite another to insist it is true without further factual evidence to justify the claim. Many on both sides seem to conflate those two cases – the problem of induction.

Regardless, I think it is a case in point of my general and frequent argument that far too many so-called skeptics aren’t particularly careful in their thinking or “logic” in delineating the links and assumptions in their argument chain - which I certainly don't find all that easy to do. But the “rancour” in the ensuing “debate” frequently seems predicated on one side, in effect, insisting that some cloud formation is a horse while the other side insists that it is a weasel. Shermer has a nice synopsis of the phenomenon:
Shermer wrote:As we saw in the previous chapter, politics is filled with self-justifying rationalizations. Democrats see the world through liberal-tinted glasses, while Republicans filter it through conservative shaded glasses. When you listen to both “conservative talk radio” and “progressive talk radio” you will hear current events interpreted in ways that are 180 degrees out of phase. So incongruent are the interpretations of even the simplest goings-on in the daily news that you wonder if they can possibly be talking about the same event. [pg 263] [my emphasis]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote: (can't believe I actually wasted time making that...)
Yeah, but it was fucking awesome.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Trophy wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Steersman wrote: clownshoe wrote: http://i.imgur.com/SssQHZp.png
:lol: :clap:
I always wanted to be considered a "key man" - now I R 1 !!! ;-)
Shut up Steersman. Hey, it works!!
Steersman is no longer at his peak. Recently, I've even managed to finish reading a couple of his posts.
:lol: I've been trying to reduce some of the excess "bulk" .... ;-)

Post by Guest »

Skep tickle wrote:[youtube]KodZy7snKI4[/youtube]

Paraphrasing one part:

Other parts include (again, my paraphrasing here): commenting on burden of proof and justice; acknowledging how unpleasant it is to report an incident to the police, especially sexual assault; explaining why the police ask so many questions and come across as suspicious of claims made (because otherwise there wouldn't be a case for the prosecutor to take to court)
Not disagreeing with The Justicar -- what we have is erroneously called a justice system.

It is a due process system rife with third parties gaming the system for their personal profits. You got your due process, we got our profits, now get out.

I think we could do better.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Scented Nectar wrote:
curriejean wrote: *snip*
At first, the City kept up their "this isn't a religious movement" mantra, but today we received word from the City that they've decided to cancel this year's Christian flag raising.
Hello, fellow Windsorite! Windsor's my home town too, although I've now lived in Toronto for most of my life. :D
Oh, that is cool. HELLO! It's too bad you're not here anymore, we could have a party.

And thanks to all for the 'grats on the flag business. The group who wanted to raise it have posted a few implications that they've received the news on their FB page, like this one: "A nation who remembers God is a blessed nation.. A nation who forgets God.... shall not prosper. Deuteronomy 8 :1 -20." Neener.
Skep tickle wrote:[youtube]KodZy7snKI4[/youtube]

Paraphrasing one part:

This video is GREAT. Straightforward, informative, sufficiently sensitive, lacking in hyperbole. Ten points to house Justicar.

Post by Guest »

Looks like PZ's post had a stealth edit. Yesterday the "update" at the bottom originally read:
The anonymous woman who wrote to you through Carrie is known to me, and in fact I was in her presence immediately after said incident (she was extremely distraught), and when she told the management of the conference (some time later).
and now it reads:
The anonymous woman who wrote to you is known to me, and in fact I was in her presence immediately after said incident (she was extremely distraught), and when she told the management of the conference (some time later).
I assume "Carrie" is Carrie Poppy. Why would this have been changed?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Skep tickle wrote: <snip>
LOL, you said "lawyer" and "could be expensive" in the same sentence.
:lol:
Skep tickle wrote: <snip

Re one defense would be proving the claim was true: How can they do this??? Six women testifying as to their distasteful experiences with one man could raise eyebrows about his behavior, but how could "proof" of criminal sexual assault be determined legally without any hard evidence? (Or the testimony of a relatively impartial eye witness, I suppose.)
That is the $64,000 question. Which I expect has given PZ a few sleepless nights. And if that defense is untenable or impossible then the others don't look particularly easy or inexpensive. Although I note with some amusement that "privilege" is one of them.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Gumby wrote:Judge, jury and executioner.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 08524c.jpg
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I think that's my favorite one this year, so far. :lol: :lol: :clap:

windy

Post by windy »

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your wife, Tribble.
Wonky Donkey wrote: Ignoring the strange "come after me in some way" - surely going to the conference management would have tipped him off if they had taken it seriously - and the increased likelyhood of being told "me too" rather than finding out in an unsolicited fashion which might be why the 5 other people.
And another strange thing- if Shermer is guilty, isn't it likely that he already knows or can easily find out her identity based on the information she has given? How do they imagine this is protecting her?

Parody Accountant

Gumby wrote:HAHAHAHAHA

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 5fb567.jpg

Fuck you, Lsuoma. :lol:
HAHAHAHAhahahahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaahaha!!!! Fucker.

Also, nice Judge Jury and executioner.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Has anyone seen Elysium yet? I loved District 9 and had planned to see it but I hear rumors that it is christian allegory.

Southern

Post by Southern »

windy wrote:Hoping for a speedy recovery for your wife, Tribble.
Wonky Donkey wrote: Ignoring the strange "come after me in some way" - surely going to the conference management would have tipped him off if they had taken it seriously - and the increased likelyhood of being told "me too" rather than finding out in an unsolicited fashion which might be why the 5 other people.
And another strange thing- if Shermer is guilty, isn't it likely that he already knows or can easily find out her identity based on the information she has given? How do they imagine this is protecting her?
Of course, he's guilty of being a serial rapist, so he'll probably have some difficult to pinpoint which one of the dozens of women he raped with his penis was the one who snitched him to PZ.

That, or PZ didn't think this through...

Matt Cavanaugh

Re: FFRF annual convention fundraiser

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

justinvacula wrote:As suggested by some members here -- as opposed to fundraising to attend TAM -- I have started an Indiegogo fundraiser to fundraise for my attendance at the Freedom From Religion Foundation's 2013 annual convention from September 27-28. As usual, I will live tweet from the conference, host on-the-scene episodes of Brave Hero Radio, and seek interviews with speakers/attendees.

All support including donations and promotion is appreciated.

Thanks!

"This, you call making a living?" -- Mama Vacula.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

The only reason I still read comments on Pharyngula is the fascination with which an anthropologist studies an isolated tribe that practices some particularly disturbing rites. Take this genius commenter on Pharyngula:
hotshoe, now with more boltcutters wrote:
9 August 2013 at 9:37 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment
naturalphilosopher –
Piegasm had written: “The consequences of not believing and being wrong are worse than the consequences of believing and being wrong. Therefore, we believe the accuser until we have good reason not to.”

Martin Wagner replied: “Uh, when Christians pull that one out, we call it Pascal’s Wager. It’s the wrong reasoning when applied here too, and gives rape apologists all the ammo they need to further discredit accusers.”
EXACTLY.
No, you’re still exactly wrong.

The consequences of believing these specific women/being wrong in attaching Shermer’s name publicly to rumors of his sexual misconduct which had previously circulated only through fortunate backchannels are what? An innocent Shermer gets maybe a little emotionally upset, embarrassed maybe even horrified about being named as something he would never ever be. Okay, got it, sad for him. Oh, and don’t forget, he might gain from it, too, in our perverse celebrity-seeking culture, he might make a fortune from new speaking engagements, new followers for his blog, whatever …

The consequences of not believing these specific women/ being wrong by refusing to use your public position to name Shermer and thereby warn other women are what? Dozens of innocent women, not getting the public warning, get raped by Shermer, maybe impregnated, maybe infected with an incurable STI, maybe end up suicidal and certainly get a lifetime of PTSD.

Those are all real things, that are, ya know, real. Real world choices have real world consequences.

Anyone who can’t tell the difference between real things and an argument for believing in god because the other consequence is hell doesn’t deserve the name of “philosopher”.

Thinking. You’re doing it wrong.
If we follow this ‘reasoning’ it’s alright to accuse the postman (any postman) of being a serial rapist. An innocent postman gets maybe a little emotionally upset, embarrassed, maybe even horrified about being named as something he would never ever be. Okay, got it, sad for him. The consequences of not believing these accusations? Dozens of innocent women, not getting the public warning, get raped by the postman, maybe impregnated, maybe infected with an incurable STI, maybe end up suicidal and certainly get a lifetime of PTSD.

This fucking loon has the temerity to write “Thinking. You’re doing it wrong.”

I propose to call this argument (it's better to risk accusing an innocent person of rape than to risk that a rapist remains unrecognised) PZ’s Wager. It is, of course, at least as fallacious as its infamous predecessor, Pascal’s Wager.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-663679

Post by Guest »

Parody Accountant wrote:Seen this picture before, but I never noticed the background. I guess I was just too distracted by that gentle, knowing smile.

http://i.imgur.com/xtSoZCV.png?1
needs combining

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disaster-girl

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

So let's see if I understand this:

Asking your potential sex partner if they are HIV-positive: BAD BAD BAD!!! HOW DARE YOU!!! AIDS-SHAMING!!!
Accusing people of rape on the basis of hearsay alone. GREAT!!! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT? ARE YOU A RAPE DEFENDER?

Man, this Social Justice stuff sure is hard. :think:

Parody Accountant

Looks like 8PM eastern for the weekly Slymepit Chatroom Vacula / Porter show. I wonder if metalogic will show up again. I miss that fucker.

Anyway, lurkers, noobs, and others should join in. The chat is the best part, imo. The show is decent too!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan, great catch. Every time I think these people can't act any more like fundies, they prove me wrong.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Great one, Gumby. :lol:

Git

Post by Git »

katamari Damassi wrote:Has anyone seen Elysium yet? I loved District 9 and had planned to see it but I hear rumors that it is christian allegory.
Its socialist allegory though.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Git wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Has anyone seen Elysium yet? I loved District 9 and had planned to see it but I hear rumors that it is christian allegory.
Sounds great!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

hotshoe, now with more boltcutters wrote:
The consequences of believing these specific women/being wrong in attaching Shermer’s name publicly to rumors of his sexual misconduct which had previously circulated only through fortunate backchannels are what? An innocent Shermer gets maybe a little emotionally upset, embarrassed maybe even horrified about being named as something he would never ever be. Okay, got it, sad for him. Oh, and don’t forget, he might gain from it, too, in our perverse celebrity-seeking culture, he might make a fortune from new speaking engagements, new followers for his blog, whatever …
"See? It doesn't matter if we ruin the fucker's reputation forever because of hearsay-based allegations and malicious rumor-mongering! He'll be better off than ever before! So he has a frowny face for a while, big deal. He'll probably get more speaking gigs, and he'll probably even end up on Leno! It's a WIN for him! He should THANK us for the favor we're doing him!!!"

http://replygif.net/i/109.gif

Git

Post by Git »

Oh fucking hell's bells.

Just when you thought "they" couldn't get any more insane.

From the comments on Namazie's post

http://freethoughtblogs.com/maryamnamaz ... port-them/
So let’s say I’ve been raped and I know that the charges will be ignored and I could be committing professional suicide reporting it. I’ve been through one unspeakable trauma and you are telling me that the only way my account of my rape should MATTER is if I report it to the police and lose my job and reputation.

No. Not even remotely reasonable and for you to suggest it is to perpetuate rape culture
Rape Culture. What is it good for? Absolutely everything under the sun, and then some, it seems. The explanatory power of Rape Culture, like Patriarchy, is reaching Illuminati proportions. Or Satan proportions. Or Original Sin proportions.

Git

Post by Git »

bhoytony wrote:
Git wrote:
Sounds great!
If it floats your boat, go for it.

I could sit down and have a honest disagreement with a Socialist. Over a pint of course.

Fucking fabians on the other hand. Closest thing to "evil" that exists in politics.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Jan Steen wrote:

Great one, Gumby. :lol:
Thanks. I was recently bummed because I had no ideas for shops. I forgot that Peezus and his gang of social justice turnips are the gift that keeps on giving.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Loved D9 & its political-social allegory and planned on seeing ELYSIUM just for that. From the trailers ELYSIUM seemed to be a 99% v. 1% allegory.

Without spoiling the plot for you -- like the fuckwad christian reviewers I googled just did for me -- I wouldn't worry about any christian angle.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Gumby wrote:
Thanks. I was recently bummed because I had no ideas for shops. I forgot that Peezus and his gang of social justice turnips are the gift that keeps on giving.
Ooh er, missus!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hCaoHA8AJys/T ... enneth.jpg

Parody Accountant

Guest wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:Seen this picture before, but I never noticed the background. I guess I was just too distracted by that gentle, knowing smile.

http://i.imgur.com/xtSoZCV.png?1
needs combining

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/disaster-girl
http://i.imgur.com/Q5bfEbF.jpg

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Guest wrote: Not disagreeing with The Justicar -- what we have is erroneously called a justice system.

It is a due process system rife with third parties gaming the system for their personal profits. You got your due process, we got our profits, now get out.

I think we could do better.
We could at least get the trains to run on time...

Git

Post by Git »

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Gumby wrote:Jan, great catch. Every time I think these people can't act any more like fundies, they prove me wrong.
They act exactly like fundies. At first I even thought this hotshoe person might have written a not very subtle parody. Sadly, no.

To think that I used to read Pharyngula eagerly, even joining in the creationist bashing. And now this.
There's a big lesson in there, somewhere. No, not just a lesson. Make that a warning. Written in all caps in neon red. DON'T BECOME WHAT YOU FIGHT.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Here's one I prepared earlier:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/pzchub.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Southern

Post by Southern »

Jan Steen wrote:
Gumby wrote:Jan, great catch. Every time I think these people can't act any more like fundies, they prove me wrong.
They act exactly like fundies. At first I even thought this hotshoe person might have written a not very subtle parody. Sadly, no.

To think that I used to read Pharyngula eagerly, even joining in the creationist bashing. And now this.
There's a big lesson in there, somewhere. No, not just a lesson. Make that a warning. Written in all caps in neon red. DON'T BECOME WHAT YOU FIGHT.
Meh. If people didn't listen to a German with a big moustache when he told them that, what chance do we mere mortals have?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Jan Steen wrote:The only reason I still read comments on Pharyngula is the fascination with which an anthropologist studies an isolated tribe that practices some particularly disturbing rites.

Steers goes the full Man Called Horse route and let's them hang him from their rafters with hooks.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Steersman wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: <snip>
LOL, you said "lawyer" and "could be expensive" in the same sentence.
:lol:
Laugh all you will but the least expensive visit to a lawyer cost me $100 for him to :

- make a 2 min phone call to the party of the second part to confirm that there was a dispute.
- mail a letter which I had composed, printed off on his stationary and mailed to aforementioned party of the second part.

It was effective though. My adversary folded immediately and I never heard diddly squat from him ever again.

It was so effective I subsequently used a lawyer with an expensive address (Bay & King Street) from then on in routine affairs, like sending a fax, swearing out affidavits and so on.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Southern wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:

Meh. If people didn't listen to a German with a big moustache when he told them that, what chance do we mere mortals have?
Mortals prefer to listen to Germans with small moustaches, sadly.

Parody Accountant

AHAHHAahhahahaAHahhaahaHAhaha [PANIC]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Now, if someone wanted to put the Huge Zvanatee on that one...

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Parody Accountant wrote:Looks like 8PM eastern for the weekly Slymepit Chatroom Vacula / Porter show. I wonder if metalogic will show up again. I miss that fucker.

Anyway, lurkers, noobs, and others should join in. The chat is the best part, imo. The show is decent too!
Ok, so it seems that several people really want me back at the pit. Here's a post regarding that possibility.

Before I "flounced", I said this:
So yeah, I'm pretty upset that the pit was down. Here's why.

I can only see two reasons the Lsuoma would shut it down. The first is if he thinks that there would likely be something posted while he was away that he'd have to moderate. I can't see why he would think this, except if he'd decided to take a more restrictive approach to moderation. Doing so would be, IMO, bullshit. The second reason is that he just felt like being petty and closing it down for awhile because some people were annoying him. This too is bullshit.
Lsuoma, I would like a discussion about this. Specifically, a discussion which results in some kind of official policy regarding how you run the pit. The content of this policy is of course ultimately up to you, however, I'd really like to see a statement within it that you will not shut down the pit for arbitrary reasons, and also a list of specific criteria that will get a user banned or restricted.

Finally, you may want to consider appointing one or two moderators, so you don't have to worry about things getting chaotic if you're not around.

Parody Accountant

Lsuoma wrote:Now, if someone wanted to put the Huge Zvanatee on that one...
Linky? I remember it (I think gumby hates it because it referred to physical 'features', rather than actions and words... or at least it was taken that way...)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:Now, if someone wanted to put the Huge Zvanatee on that one...
Linky? I remember it (I think gumby hates it because it referred to physical 'features', rather than actions and words... or at least it was taken that way...)
Meh. I have my limits, but my attitude lately is the worse they get.. the less I care.

I'm by no means pure in the "making fun of features" department. Though I think my shops come out better if I don't rely on the low-hanging fruit. So I tend not to go there these days... as much.

RazielWasAlone

Post by RazielWasAlone »

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT

PZ dun goofed even harder, he's added more stories to his OP xD

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... a-grenade/

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

{{{{Metalogic}}}}

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

RazielWasAlone wrote:HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIT

PZ dun goofed even harder, he's added more stories to his OP xD

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... a-grenade/
Freezepage:
http://www.freezepage.com/1376173204KSTUUVOVQF

Parody Accountant

Metalogic42 wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:Looks like 8PM eastern for the weekly Slymepit Chatroom Vacula / Porter show. I wonder if metalogic will show up again. I miss that fucker.

Ok, so it seems that several people really want me back at the pit. Here's a post regarding that possibility.

Before I "flounced", I said this:
So yeah, I'm pretty upset that the pit was down. Here's why.

I can only see two reasons the Lsuoma would shut it down. The first is if he thinks that there would likely be something posted while he was away that he'd have to moderate. I can't see why he would think this, except if he'd decided to take a more restrictive approach to moderation. Doing so would be, IMO, bullshit. The second reason is that he just felt like being petty and closing it down for awhile because some people were annoying him. This too is bullshit.
Lsuoma, I would like a discussion about this. Specifically, a discussion which results in some kind of official policy regarding how you run the pit. The content of this policy is of course ultimately up to you, however, I'd really like to see a statement within it that you will not shut down the pit for arbitrary reasons, and also a list of specific criteria that will get a user banned or restricted.

Finally, you may want to consider appointing one or two moderators, so you don't have to worry about things getting chaotic if you're not around.
Lsuoma... just appoint a next of kin. If you get sick of this shit (you are doing an amazing job), just hand it back to abbie until abbie picks Another (or doesn't).

Metalogic's slyme-strike, petty as it may be to you, is indicative of a reasonable enough fear. The accusations some were making of 'just like FtB' were wayyyy off. To your credit, you've attracted a crowd that stands on principal. Metalogic is one of the lil' homies. Come on, give in to his demand of announcing a viable exit strategy (leaving slymeland intact.) I know an admin can't be undermined like this on the regular - please just 'have the discussion'.

Lsuoma, I'll let you stick it anywhere if you let me have my metalogic back here.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Lsuoma wrote:OK, I've spent a bit of time researching the IPs coming in, banning some spambots that kept on trying to automatically register, and also setting stuff up so that legitimate bots and spiders are identified correctly. It feels a lot snappier than it did earlier.

What do other people think?
That you're a fascist tit. Now, anything else?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »