Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
windy wrote:PZ has a post on Lindsay/Stollznow charmingly titled "Are we having fun yet?" (sry, too lazy to freezepage)
I suspect I’m on the CFI blacklist along with a few other speakers whose names you can probably guess…but they won’t be the well-known men who have reputations for womanizing. Funny how that works.
"Womanizing"? He's alleging epidemic cover-up of rape and sexual assault in skepticism, and he's worried about "womanizing"? Who shat in his brain?

His first comment:
PZ Myers

12 August 2013 at 4:23 pm (UTC -5)

You know what’s really funny? Lindsay complains that Stollznow’s discussion of problems at CFI has cost them members and could cost them donors. But what convinces me I want nothing to do with them is what Lindsay says every time he decides to weigh in in his ponderously lawyerly way.
So PZ is pissed a lawyer acts like a lawyer?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

PZ Myers wrote:I’m cruising into Edina tonight to give my first ever reading and signing as an author — at 7:00 PM I’ll be at the Barnes & Noble in the GalleriaShopping Center, 3225 W 69th, Edina.

I have no idea what I’m doing. I’ve pulled out a couple of short pieces from the book, I’ve got a general introduction to what it’s all about, but I don’t know how long I should sing and dance to entertain — I’m erring on the side of brevity right now, and know I can fill out any span of time by opening up to questions. Maybe some Catholics will show up! Or dudebros! Or maybe it will all be warm and welcoming. I can’t lose!

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... irst-time/
Dudebros? Don't you mean MRAs, Libertarians, and Marc Lepines? Fuck's sake, PZ, don't go wobbly on us now!

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

welch wrote: So now we've gone from a list of rapists/assaulters to sexual harassers to womanizers.

Really? Is this what this was all about in the end?
You sound surprised.

Before we're done here, a certain blue-haired, booze-bucket will have been cast as Helen of Troy in all this, at which point I expect the universe to simply give up, and wink out of existence.

FrankGrimes

Re: Technical question for Mac Scum

Post by FrankGrimes »

Mykeru wrote:Sorry to interrupt the Calamari Bake, but got a technical question.

Executive Summary

Based on a scandalous rumor that I know how to do video editing have been tasked to do a little video for someone's retirement party. This comes not from my boss, but from the bosses' boss. The plan is for people to shoot video on their iPads and then have me sit down and see what bits they want to use. Then I have to take it home and edit it because in our locked-down strangle-you-with-security-until-you-turn-blue network environment I can't run the sort of programs I use for my personal shits and giggles.

I know iPad will render video in some variant of .mov, and my editing software will handle that.

The Difficulty

Around these parts, you can't just hook a personal device up to our network. That goes for smartphones, thumbdrives, camera, and anything else you can thing of. It's a major no-no and even if you could do it, it would be flagged and blocked. Then the black helicopters and, well, it'll be a mess.

So I have to get people to place these videos, which are going to be massive in a place where I can access and download them. Does anyone know of a iPad-friendly service for uploading files of this type? I don't want to give them my Google Drive info and even then, I'm bucking at the limit of my storage space. The idea would be to create an account, give people the name and PWD and have them upload straight from their gay little iPads.

Any thoughts?

And now, back to our regularly scheduled Thimble-Dick self-immolation.
Not sure exactly what you're saying but would DropBox be of any use?

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Hunt wrote:Taslima is still very concerned about the importance of penis size disclosure. This is an extraordinarily huge, I mean small, worldwide problem. Let us not forget it. Remember folks, think of the women duped into marrying small penis men.

And think...of the children.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/taslima/201 ... our-penis/
Haha.

As crazy as I think she is, and as much as I dislike her and her retarded ideology, I can't really blame a woman for being vocal about liking what she likes. I personally know a few women that were dumb enough to get into relationships before knowing how their partner was in bed, or if his size was to their liking [that's really, really dumb, in my book, but I guess some people just don't know better]. Not to go all "PATRIARCHY!" on you, but they felt really shitty about ending these relationships after months of not being satisfied in bed [I think the worst thing than a dude with a small dick, is one that doesn't even make an effort to satisfy the women he manages to get into bed, or an effort to learn how to. The men in my anecdote were exactly that type].

So...yeah. Fuck that. Let women like what they like, and spell it out even. If certain women prefer dicks on the bigger end of the spectrum, whether it be for aesthetic reasons, or because their satisfaction depends on it, I don't see a reason to shame them for it.

Now someone hurry up and post a "not this shit again" pic so we can be done with it...

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Pyrophylaciorum wrote:Thank you everyone for your hearty and heartfelt welcome yesterday....
No problem mate. However, it is customary (bordering on necessary) for newcomers to give us their in-depth opinions on both Israel/Palestine AND the George Zimmerman verdict.
Just post them here or send them in PM to the board admin, Lsuoma.

welch

Post by welch »

Ape+lust wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:

His first comment:
PZ Myers

12 August 2013 at 4:23 pm (UTC -5)

You know what’s really funny? Lindsay complains that Stollznow’s discussion of problems at CFI has cost them members and could cost them donors. But what convinces me I want nothing to do with them is what Lindsay says every time he decides to weigh in in his ponderously lawyerly way.
Does this mean that the following event is cancelled?

http://i.imgur.com/dE8ANH4.jpg
Condemns skepticism ---> Goes to Skepticon

Condemns CFI ---> Goes to CFI booksigning

Condemns "womanizing" ---> ?????
Goes to AEE

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Hunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... las-haugh/

Thank fucking Dog, the bully pulpit finally reacts appropriately. Thank you PZ!
Yeh, I noticed they just continued with their squabbling - unbelievable!

A comment from Carlie on that thread:
And some asshole decided to comment on that post and call them a liar. On a suicide note. Those people have no sense of humanity, period.
Erm, yeh Carlie, that's exactly the kind of thing that PZ was saying the other day in his blog post about that narcissistic guy. PZ, you've no sense of humanity!

Also, does it turn out that Dallas is a bloke? The reason I ask is that they seemed to have beeen insinuating that they'd been raped by Shermer.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Ape+lust wrote:It's a pity Shermer's lawyers didn't stipulate they wanted a video apology. I'd love to see PZ's sullen face, reading like he was broadcasting from a VC POW camp.
Ever since news of this C&D letter broke, I've been thinking the same.

Too bad it isn't Thunderf00t he fucked with. He'd definitely get his ass on video. :lol:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Gretl continues the ThoughtFree redefining of skeptical reasoning:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2013/ ... denialism/

How to respond to skeptical claims for evidence of rape accusations? Sure, extraordinary claims require extraordiniry evidence. But rapes are commonplace, so the "level of evidence required is substantially lower."

This is great!

Me: "I'd like to submit a claim for the theft of my Acura."
Insurance agent: "Sir, our records indicate you do not own an Acura."
Me: "How dare you doubt my lived experiences?! The Acura is the most commonly-stolen car in America!"
Her whole post is complete bunk. Evidence has to be commensurate with the claim, it is not relevant how common it is, and with the impact of being wrong. In this case the impact of being wrong is very high. Possibly life changing. Therefore the evidence has to be solid. We are not talking about a claim of owning a cat here where being wrong has little to no impact. Yet owning a cat and rape are both common. It is reasonable to believe someone owns a cat on less evidence than someone raped. Also belief can be provisional of course which most of our beliefs are. In the Shermer case even that is highly problematic as it can lead to a lot of damage to an innocent party which the commentators at FtB are merrily doing, I am sure at the glee of his lawyer.

The 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' is often misused and I sometimes wish it was never coined. It is just a general principle when dealing with claims of a supernatural nature, extremely rare or ones outside human experience or knowledge. It is irrelevant when looking at anything we know can happen and that are common, such as rape or owning a cat.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:Sorry to interrupt the Calamari Bake, but got a technical question.

Executive Summary

Based on a scandalous rumor that I know how to do video editing have been tasked to do a little video for someone's retirement party. This comes not from my boss, but from the bosses' boss. The plan is for people to shoot video on their iPads and then have me sit down and see what bits they want to use. Then I have to take it home and edit it because in our locked-down strangle-you-with-security-until-you-turn-blue network environment I can't run the sort of programs I use for my personal shits and giggles.

I know iPad will render video in some variant of .mov, and my editing software will handle that.

The Difficulty

Around these parts, you can't just hook a personal device up to our network. That goes for smartphones, thumbdrives, camera, and anything else you can thing of. It's a major no-no and even if you could do it, it would be flagged and blocked. Then the black helicopters and, well, it'll be a mess.

So I have to get people to place these videos, which are going to be massive in a place where I can access and download them. Does anyone know of a iPad-friendly service for uploading files of this type? I don't want to give them my Google Drive info and even then, I'm bucking at the limit of my storage space. The idea would be to create an account, give people the name and PWD and have them upload straight from their gay little iPads.

Any thoughts?

Have them upload it to dropbox then email you the link.

Aneris

The Carrier 5

Post by Aneris »

Since when became Richard Carrier an ardent defender of Freeze Peach even in the advanced strawman version? I could barely keep laughing tears from rolling down my chin when I it read earlier today, in proper context (role reversal). Don't bother with the wall of text he wrote.

The interesting part: he pisses off Ron Lindsay and compares him to the OK tornadoes, calls him “Ignorant Blowhard” and is the figure head of the A+ people that wanted to have Lindsay removed. He then then complains lenghty that he isn't invited and paid by CFI anymore. What is Lindsay thinking!!?

http://www.freezepage.com/1376408794VVDCUDKNOT

The reason sound like amplified straw versions of what we have been saying for a while, in proper Carrier Tour-De-Force lingo. Here's Carrier's Five

The Carrier Five
  1. Lindsay does “pursue purely personal vendettas”. So he is vindictive? Reminds me of someone else, somehow :think:
  2. Lindsay was “acting basically like a Pope (with banned lists and excommunication [...])”. Oh noes! How mean! There is no blacklist! Only a Brownlist.
  3. Freeze Peach! In proper Carrier phrasing: “violation of the core principles of academic freedom (and freedom of speech)”. Yeah, Carrier wrote that, a figure head of Atheism Plus. Those who value critical contributions very much as we all know. If we don't hear from Thunderf00t in the next days, he probably laughed to death.
  4. It's silencing of critics by “by literally attacking their financial livelihood”. Comedy Gold. Carrier even names a latin named fallacy! Represents a movement that operates Block Bots, banning, shaming and bullying but complains that he isn't hired anymore as a freelancer for a company whose president he (and his A+ ilk) have pissed off, tried to remove etc.
  5. And now, what is missing in a good Slymepit script when talking about them. Right! Hypocrite “Finally, it opens him to charges of being a liar.“ by stating there was no blacklist but apparently there is one.
Carrier (paraphrased): “It’s not Okay when others do it!”

I regard some of the Freeze Peach arguments as strawman versions of legitimate concerns. People can do very well operate their space, facebook wall, twitter timeline, youtube channel, blog comment section and so on the way they want and cannot be expected to deal with any form of feedback. They may also be completely irrational or arbitrary if they want to. That doesn't prevent others from poiting this out elsewhere and criticising it.

However, it perplexes me how someone can be so disconnected from reality as Carrier. Not only does he take over a Strawman Freeze Peach version (i.e. demanding to be allowed to piss off everyone, then still getting invited and paid for it), he also completely fails to see how (the legitimate) criticism maps 100% to his own side, so much that it became synonymous with it. And since his A+ videos he is even some sort of inofficual leader.

The legitimate concern of the freeze peach are, in summary, about removal or censoring (mod limbo etc) comments that aren't supportive of the blog entry. For example censoring as a way to make it appear as if universal agreement was supporting the unsubstantiated blog entry itself (Zvan style: no one disagrees but this one troll , look how right I am).

Or using the power difference of a high profile blog (e.g. pharyngula) to gun down 'small' people who have no way of correcting false claims as they are barred from commenting, their comments are randomly removed (e.g. Zvan Style) and who could only write a defense in some other corner of the internet, where nobody would notice it — with the effect that abusive comments from the horde take over prerogative of interpretation over people's own name.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Trophy wrote:
Interesting. I couldn't find any information regarding the disclosure of the investigation though.
Invasion of privacy. You just can't dump stuff out there without incurring legal risk and potential liability.

Dave

Post by Dave »

welch wrote:
windy wrote:PZ has a post on Lindsay/Stollznow charmingly titled "Are we having fun yet?" (sry, too lazy to freezepage)
I suspect I’m on the CFI blacklist along with a few other speakers whose names you can probably guess…but they won’t be the well-known men who have reputations for womanizing. Funny how that works.
"Womanizing"? He's alleging epidemic cover-up of rape and sexual assault in skepticism, and he's worried about "womanizing"? Who shat in his brain?
So now we've gone from a list of rapists/assaulters to sexual harassers to womanizers.

Really? Is this what this was all about in the end?
Yep. Hes butthurt that others were getting laid more often than he was.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

JackRayner wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:It's a pity Shermer's lawyers didn't stipulate they wanted a video apology. I'd love to see PZ's sullen face, reading like he was broadcasting from a VC POW camp.
Ever since news of this C&D letter broke, I've been thinking the same.

Too bad it isn't Thunderf00t he fucked with. He'd definitely get his ass on video. :lol:
Heh, you know it.

Thunderf00t's been like "come at me bro" all morning.

http://i.imgur.com/7hAt7Uh.png

Whig

Post by Whig »

The FFRF FB page has a quote from "The Happy Atheist." I thought those guys liked to stay away from the internal drama?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:

Executive Summary

The Difficulty

Any thoughts?

Have them upload it to dropbox then email you the link.
That presumes the people in question have already have Dropbox and know how to use it, not necessarily a given.

If I was going to use Dropbox for this -- and honestly I would, I only mentioned Google earlier because file size is a concern (2GB for DB, 15GB for GD) -- I would just register a new account for everyone to use and scrap it when all was said and done.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

As someone who has edited a vast amount of "Harassment Prevention for Managers" training courses, I'm having a hearty chuckle at the people demanding that CFI release information about a harassment investigation. Of such privacy violations are massive lawsuits built.

Cold

Post by Cold »

I'm sorry, but this shit is just way too much fun.

http://i.imgur.com/c9Tm1pw.jpg?1

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Considering the influx of new 'Pitters following P.Z. Myer's tactical decision of holding onto a hand grenade and throwing the pin, I will dispense with the traditional SlymePit greeting of "Fuck Off" individually and instead, go for the long greeting, in the form of our Orientation Video:

[youtube]71Lft6EQh-Y[/youtube]

And Welcome

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Besides, some people I only came across on Twitter and who appear to be very nice, ordinary people who hold the typical “Good People” views, concious about social issues, pro-LGTBX etc. now ended up in a small Twitter war with the Social Justice Warriors. The SJW types really have a hand of pissing off people who should be on their side. Why aren't those SJW types going against conservatives, reactionaries, certain sexist subcultures etc.?

And it's as if they re-enact the whole Elevatorgate all over again (and forutnately come out on the same side as we did). Right now they struggle to comprehend what's wrong with the word 'cunt', make similar observations, including down to “Hey, Ricky Gervais said it too”. Even though I was only initiated half a year ago, I now feel really old and like: Ok kids, duke it out. I just sit back.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

FrankGrimes wrote:

Executive Summary

The Difficulty

Any thoughts?

Nope. The problem there is it requires a single user program installed locally and that will not be approved. Ever.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Cold wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Gretl continues the ThoughtFree redefining of skeptical reasoning:

How to respond to skeptical claims for evidence of rape accusations? Sure, extraordinary claims require extraordiniry evidence. But rapes are commonplace, so the "level of evidence required is substantially lower."

This is great!

Me: "How dare you doubt my lived experiences?! The Acura is the most commonly-stolen car in America!"
I agree with your premise but your analogy is kind of shit. If the car is supposed to metaphorically represent a vagina then she would have had to at some point had an Acura.

I'd probably use an analogy where someone complains a specific person keyed their car and is unable to provide evidence of this, but still demands that said person be shamed as a car-keyer just because their car does indeed have a scratch in it.
Haters gonna hate.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Aneris wrote:Besides, some people I only came across on Twitter and who appear to be very nice, ordinary people who hold the typical “Good People” views, concious about social issues, pro-LGTBX etc. now ended up in a small Twitter war with the Social Justice Warriors. The SJW types really have a hand of pissing off people who should be on their side. Why aren't those SJW types going against conservatives, reactionaries, certain sexist subcultures etc.?

And it's as if they re-enact the whole Elevatorgate all over again (and forutnately come out on the same side as we did). Right now they struggle to comprehend what's wrong with the word 'cunt', make similar observations, including down to “Hey, Ricky Gervais said it too”. Even though I was only initiated half a year ago, I now feel really old and like: Ok kids, duke it out. I just sit back.
It's a neat little club they have. As soon as they identify one another as Certified SJW, they nod in understanding and proceed to beat anyone and everyone over the head with all of the tired old cliched catch phrases that their hero's have taught them. And it doesn't matter who they're attempting to attack, they've been charged with spreading the word so they'll step on anyone.

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

Mykeru wrote:
Nope. The problem there is it requires a single user program installed locally and that will not be approved. Ever.
Do a PowerPoint :rimshot:

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Mykeru wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:

Executive Summary

The Difficulty

Any thoughts?

You're mistaken about how DropBox would work in this case.

1. Register a throw-away account with DB.
2. Install the iOS DB app on each iPad using the created account.
3. Upload videos via iOS app.
4. Download videos on your editing machine, either via the desktop app or via the web...works either way.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

JackSkeptic wrote: The 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' is often misused and I sometimes wish it was never coined. It is just a general principle when dealing with claims of a supernatural nature, extremely rare or ones outside human experience or knowledge. It is irrelevant when looking at anything we know can happen and that are common, such as rape or owning a cat.
I prefer "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence", personally.

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Lsuoma wrote:Wouldn't it be sweet if there was something in PeeZus book that could be used for Shermer to demand that THE WHOLE PRINT RUN be pulped? Unlikely, I know - my guess is that the publishers have better attorneys than the "horde", but hey, a man can dream, right?
[youtube]tK3k1S2w_cw[/youtube]

Original broadcast version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRnS5K76si8&t=7m16s

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Pyrophylaciorum wrote:Thank you everyone for your hearty and heartfelt welcome yesterday. Unfortunately, as somebody with a range of anxiety conditions I was forced to retreat into my Emotional SafeSpaceâ„¢ after I was met with a barrage of invocations to "Fuck Off!" I take it that you consider this to be some kind of long-standing joke? Well, perhaps in future you will understand that I regard everyone else on this planet as bit-part players in the central act of MY FUCKING LIFE and therefore I expect all of you to tread lightly around whatever predilection I've just pulled out of my arse, in order to make you feel terrified to ever advance any opinion on literally anything else again.
{hugs}

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

JackSkeptic wrote:

How to respond to skeptical claims for evidence of rape accusations? Sure, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. But rapes are commonplace, so the "level of evidence required is substantially lower."
Her whole post is complete bunk. Evidence has to be commensurate with the claim, it is not relevant how common it is, and with the impact of being wrong. In this case the impact of being wrong is very high. Possibly life changing. Therefore the evidence has to be solid....
If someone could figure out a way to tap all the cognitive dissonance at ThoughtFreeBlogs, they could provide enough power to light a small city.

The Tim Channel

Post by The Tim Channel »

None of you are forward thinking enough to realize that we're gonna need a PZ replacement pretty soon and I know the competition is going to be fierce (none of you stand a chance against me). I'm the perfect Anti-PZ. I can't stand blue haired groupie chicks, know nothing at all about the mating habits of squid and shave regularly. The coup de grace is that I'm approximately half the weight of PZ, so on a pound to pound basis, subsidizing my dining on travails to Skeptic Events hither and yon will save 50% on fundraising. Thank you for your support.

Enjoy.

Cold

Post by Cold »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Haters gonna hate.
Not hating, just demonstrating my own extreme autism when it comes to analogies I guess.
JackRayner wrote:I prefer "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence", personally.
While catchy, I'm not a fan of this one either, because it seems to imply that a person who has not made a claim needs evidence in order to dismiss a claim that has a little evidence in its favor.

How about just good old fashioned Burden of Proof?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

FrankGrimes wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Do a PowerPoint :rimshot:
Do a really shit-ass job, then nobody will ever bug you again to make another video.

The Tim Channel

Post by The Tim Channel »

One last point. I'm old enough that if I do feel a compulsion to lunge at one of the slinky young things I'll trip over my dangling nutsack long before I get to the wine rack. Enjoy.

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

The Tim Channel wrote:None of you are forward thinking enough to realize that we're gonna need a PZ replacement pretty soon and I know the competition is going to be fierce (none of you stand a chance against me). I'm the perfect Anti-PZ. I can't stand blue haired groupie chicks, know nothing at all about the mating habits of squid and shave regularly. The coup de grace is that I'm approximately half the weight of PZ, so on a pound to pound basis, subsidizing my dining on travails to Skeptic Events hither and yon will save 50% on fundraising. Thank you for your support.

Enjoy.
You talk too much, especially for a n00b, you're boring, you're repetitive, you're self-aggrandizing, and you link spam your stupid fuck blog way too often.

Are you here via reddit or PZ's blog?

Eternal September.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Cold wrote:
Not hating, just demonstrating my own extreme autism when it comes to analogies I guess.
Oh, shit. I just hope Steers or Andrew don't weigh in!

(ftr, I never use emoticons, so you're just gonna have to figure me out on your own. :confusion-scratchheadyellow: )

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote: And why doesn't any of you slymeballs say anything good about PZ?
I can not think of anything good to say about PeeZuss Christ. I might if I thought about it I suppose but nothing comes to mind right now.

However, if you have something good to say about PeeZuss Christ I am pretty sure you can say it here.
Guest wrote: You all continually claim that the "baboons" only talk and never do anything, and now that PZ is actually doing something at great risk to himself, all you guys do is delight in the hope that he's going to crash and burn. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.
I agree that PeeZuss Christ has put himself at risk but I do not see that he has done something good at all. Please explain?
[/quote]

You cannot think of anything good to say about PZ, you cannot even bring yourself to write his name correctly. That's because the Slymepit is antigroupthink, which is to say, if PZ's horde is groupthink1, the slymepit is groupthink2. The slymepit admittedly seems much more creative, although much of the humor is juvenile and merely insulting. What will you all do if PZ and the rest lose or quit their internet presence? There'd be nothing to say!

I have to admit that the Slymepit does have one saving grace: The members don't take themselves seriously. So please, PLEASE, tell me to fuck off! I shouldn't be wasting my time lurking about here!

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

I've finally found a way to keep up with the lulz! Learn while you sleep! Just click on this button now!

http://i.imgur.com/yr9KlEq.jpg

tina

Post by tina »

Move along....nuthin to see here *snikker*

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

The Tim Channel wrote:One last point. I'm old enough that if I do feel a compulsion to lunge at one of the slinky young things I'll trip over my dangling nutsack long before I get to the wine rack. Enjoy.
"Thank you ladies and gentlemen. I'll be here all night." (yawn)

Whig

Post by Whig »

Cunning Punt wrote:I've finally found a way to keep up with the lulz! Learn while you sleep! Just click on this button now!

This was really handy when I was going for my porcupine quill replacement certificate.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

ToiletBowl is running one of his infamous timelines of wicked current events. As one commenter points out, Teh Bowl leaves out an accusation against one of the FfTB allies-in-good-standing. I commented thusly:
allison K said (http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ent-116614):

"David Silverman was accused of groping and kissing a drunk woman – where’s the reference to that one?"

Silverman is, for the time being, and up until he's witchified, an ally-in-good-standing; FfTB does not accuse allies-in-good-standing of sex/gender-related wrong doing, factual or hearsay.
I doubt it will get through, but with ToiletBowl, you just never know. If he can figure out a way to personally profit (and to somehow make me look bad) by letting my comment through, without damaging his timeline, or his tacit support of Silverman, he will probably let it through.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

You all continually claim that the "baboons" only talk and never do anything, and now that PZ is actually doing something at great risk to himself, all you guys do is delight in the hope that he's going to crash and burn. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves.
Why should I congratulate PZ for anything? If the allegations are true, his stupid way of handling the situation has put the victim at risk of being made public in a very tabloid fashion due to the tabloid nature of PZ's revelation. As I pointed out previously, PZ just assumed no law enforcement would do anything about allegations of serial rape and didn't even put forth the effort to see if anything could be done to punish criminal activity. If the excuse is that he wanted to protect the victim's identity, well congrats dumbass, you've made it more likely that the person will be revealed anyways.

If the allegations are untrue, then this should rightfully be the final nail in the coffin of PZ as a public figure in the movement.

Cold

Post by Cold »

JackSkeptic wrote:

This is great!

Her whole post is complete bunk. Evidence has to be commensurate with the claim, it is not relevant how common it is, and with the impact of being wrong. In this case the impact of being wrong is very high. Possibly life changing. Therefore the evidence has to be solid. We are not talking about a claim of owning a cat here where being wrong has little to no impact. Yet owning a cat and rape are both common. It is reasonable to believe someone owns a cat on less evidence than someone raped. Also belief can be provisional of course which most of our beliefs are. In the Shermer case even that is highly problematic as it can lead to a lot of damage to an innocent party which the commentators at FtB are merrily doing, I am sure at the glee of his lawyer.

The 'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence' is often misused and I sometimes wish it was never coined. It is just a general principle when dealing with claims of a supernatural nature, extremely rare or ones outside human experience or knowledge. It is irrelevant when looking at anything we know can happen and that are common, such as rape or owning a cat.
Agreed, but I think the biggest problem with her argument is this:
To make an analogy that skeptics should understand: Think about how creationists say, “Where’s your evidence for evolution? I’ve never seen life spontaneously generate from a peanut butter jar! I’ve never seen fish evolve into mammals in one generation!” Or think about how global warming denialists say, “Where’s your evidence for global warming? Why isn’t the Antarctic turning into Florida? Why was it so cold in Minnesota last winter?” No, of course not. That’s not the kind of evidence you’d expect to see to support evolution or global warming — because that’s not how evolution and global warming work. The kind of evidence you’d expect to see to support evolution is exactly the kind of evidence we do find: evidence from genetics, geology, anatomy, fossil records, etc., all consistent with one another. The kind of evidence you’d expect to see to support global warming is exactly the kind of evidence we do find: evidence from long-term studies of weather patterns over years, decades, centuries, and millennia.

So be a good skeptic. Think about how sexual harassment, abuse, assault, and rape usually work. Think about what kind of evidence you’d expect to see for them. And then think about whether that kind of evidence is present in this case.
"How rape usually works"? What is that supposed to mean? Does rape work outside the normally observed laws of physics? Is there some exciting new discovery to be learned about how rape works that she's hiding from us?

Or is she saying that because it's difficult to produce direct, observable evidence of rape then we should resort to allowing unsubstantiated claims to pass as evidence of rape? It seems they fail to realize that anybody can claim anything, and if we take the veracity of things like rape claims as inherently true just by virtue of the fact that it's being claimed, then that opens the door to allow people to be punished based on unsubstantiated claims. How many rape reports turn out to be false isn't even a factor here, especially when they're using the argument that many supposed rapes fly under the radar because they're never reported.
4: In the conversations we’re having about these incidents, we’re not talking about what kind of evidence would support publication in a peer-reviewed journal, or a judgment in a court of law. We’re talking about what kind of evidence would support judgment in the court of public opinion. We’re talking about what kind of evidence would support staying away from people if we’re at an event with them. Exercising caution if we have to deal with them. Warning other people to exercise caution around them. Not inviting them to speak at conferences. Not attending conferences, or speaking at conferences, where they’re speaking. Not buying their books. Not continuing to cite them as shining examples of skepticism at its best. In the most serious case, we’re talking about what kind of evidence would support firing someone. (And yes, for the record, I would want more evidence to support firing someone than I would to support not inviting them to conferences.)

This is a generally well-understood principle. The severity of the consequences affects how much evidence we need to believe an accusation. If several of my friends tell me, “Hey, your friend is a creep, they kept cornering me at your party,” and one person tells me, “Hey, your friend is a serious creep, they cornered me at your party and groped me”… that’s not going to be enough evidence for me to call the police, but it sure is enough evidence for me to stop inviting that person back to any more parties. Even our legal system has different standards of evidence for different situations: there’s a higher standard of evidence for criminal charges, for instance, than there is for a civil case. And the court of public opinion, and of of personal opinion, have different standards as well. Which they should. The standards shouldn’t be trivial, or non-existent — and for accusations of sexual harassment, abuse, assault, and rape, they should be pretty darned high. But there is a wide, wide world between “These accusations could lead to a conviction in a court of law,” and, “These accusations are entirely without merit.” It is a huge mistake to treat these as the only options.
The big gist here seems to be that they are conflating evidence with gossip. This is nothing more than high school locker room talk or a sewing circle.

Hens are gonna cluck I guess.

Git

Post by Git »

Cunning Punt wrote:I've finally found a way to keep up with the lulz! Learn while you sleep! Just click on this button now!

Sounds a bit like...Ear Penetration:

http://images.tvrage.com/screencaps/18/3506/403112.jpg

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Guest wrote: I have to admit that the Slymepit does have one saving grace: The members don't take themselves seriously. So please, PLEASE, tell me to fuck off! I shouldn't be wasting my time lurking about here!
You need us to tell you what to do? If you want to go elsewhere, do so. If you don't, don't.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Thimbledick loves his revisionist timelines, it's as if he has a need to create an approved version of history with which to feed the morons who actually think he's a reliable source of information.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Za-zen wrote:Thimbledick loves his revisionist timelines, it's as if he has a need to create an approved version of history with which to feed the morons who actually think he's a reliable source of information.
Look! Look! I'm making a contribution! I'm summarising what everyone else has done. Isn't it so useful, isn't it? Isn't it?

Where are you guys going?

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

John Greg wrote:ToiletBowl is running one of his infamous timelines of wicked current events. As one commenter points out, Teh Bowl leaves out an accusation against one of the FfTB allies-in-good-standing. I commented thusly:

"David Silverman was accused of groping and kissing a drunk woman – where’s the reference to that one?"

Silverman is, for the time being, and up until he's witchified, an ally-in-good-standing; FfTB does not accuse allies-in-good-standing of sex/gender-related wrong doing, factual or hearsay.
I doubt it will get through, but with ToiletBowl, you just never know. If he can figure out a way to personally profit (and to somehow make me look bad) by letting my comment through, without damaging his timeline, or his tacit support of Silverman, he will probably let it through.
Isn't Silverman facing real legal trouble because of accusations a woman made and then followed through via legal channels?
I guess Greta would say that rape happens but hostile workplaces don't.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Guest wrote: I have to admit that the Slymepit does have one saving grace: The members don't take themselves seriously. So please, PLEASE, tell me to fuck off! I shouldn't be wasting my time lurking about here!
Won't! We only tell new members to fuck off. Youll have to register to get that kind of treatment.

Cold

Post by Cold »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Cold wrote:

(ftr, I never use emoticons, so you're just gonna have to figure me out on your own. :confusion-scratchheadyellow: )
I'm going to Do The Right Thing and assume sarcasm on the majority of posts made here, as I'd expect the same from everybody else.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Kareem wrote:
John Greg wrote:ToiletBowl is running one of his infamous timelines of wicked current events. As one commenter points out, Teh Bowl leaves out an accusation against one of the FfTB allies-in-good-standing. I commented thusly:

Isn't Silverman facing real legal trouble because of accusations a woman made and then followed through via legal channels?
That's an actual lawsuit by a named person. And it involves a black woman so you know, we really need to wait for all the facts to come in. Now, anonymous people making accusations - who could doubt that?

tibfulv

Post by tibfulv »

Hi, everyone!

I follow Mykeru on Twitter, and he reported he had been locked out by accident. Here is the relevant tweet:
Mykeru ‏@Mykeru

Could someone posting on the SlymePit please tell Lsouma that his IP block on DDOS attacks has me "permanently banned" on Tapatalk/mobile?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Rystefn wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:BTW, hi to all the new faces/names, including grrrl, Liesmith, Cold (latter of grenade thread fame). Also good to see a couple people who've been scarce lately, like Rystefn, Wooly, Skeeve (but maybe that was the IP ban thing), couple of other folks too (sorry that I'm forgetting who I saw this evening & thought, "oh, hey!").
Yeah, I got some sort of title now, too, apparently. It doesn't make a lick of sense to me, and I've no idea what it's referencing, so I'm just going assume Lsuoma being a bitch about something or another again.
Mudbrooker made a video showing what a real man can do with a screwdriver! ;)

Git

Post by Git »

Cold wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Cold wrote:

I'm going to Do The Right Thing and assume sarcasm on the majority of posts made here, as I'd expect the same from everybody else.
]

That's the spirit!

Here's the thing: we're all gobshites, but we're gobshites that don't tolerate ideologues and are the sort of gobshites who could sit down have a principled disagreement with each over a pint or ten. But most importantly, we know we're gobshites.

Edina Monsoon

Post by Edina Monsoon »

Myers captured a serial rapist, Canuck got himself a child rapist omg (but, sadly, that fell apart). Now Myers has a Lawyer Letter, Canuck's aiming to get himself at least one*.

He's gonna get up on that pedestal and bask in glory with his hero if it's the last thing he does.

* Myers only named Shermer. Canuck's naming Shermer and Krauss, who's already made vague legal rumbling, so may be more likely to give Canuck the attention he craves.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Kareem wrote:

Gold, she needs to answer that one;

Woman actually does everything right with her complaint, involving one of Greta's buddies. Oh nooooo lets wait for all the information to come in before we comment, we can't rush to judgement, due process!

Anon report of rape against named individual. Oh nooooo hypersketical evil misoginsts !

Trophy

Post by Trophy »

Ä uest wrote:
The Tim Channel wrote:None of you are forward thinking enough to realize that we're gonna need a PZ replacement pretty soon and I know the competition is going to be fierce (none of you stand a chance against me). I'm the perfect Anti-PZ. I can't stand blue haired groupie chicks, know nothing at all about the mating habits of squid and shave regularly. The coup de grace is that I'm approximately half the weight of PZ, so on a pound to pound basis, subsidizing my dining on travails to Skeptic Events hither and yon will save 50% on fundraising. Thank you for your support.

Enjoy.
You talk too much, especially for a n00b, you're boring, you're repetitive, you're self-aggrandizing, and you link spam your stupid fuck blog way too often.

Are you here via reddit or PZ's blog?

Eternal September.

Awwww, come on. Don't be mean to the new comers! This is slymepit!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

ERV wrote:
Im sad Phils not here :(
I am, but for the last 3 days, I've been in medium to severe dehydration. My father (who is my treating doctor) only came back yesterday from Italy and couldn't check me out before today. I have to go do blood tests tomorrow morning, but my personal feelings say it's probably not going to be pretty. I'm at 162/106 BP, 85 HBR (that one is okay), and 28°C temperature. I have auditory and visual hallucinations as well, which although not a good sign, is still pretty cool to stare at and listen to while doing nothing.

So with the pain and fatigue, I spend most days away from the computer lying in the dark. . That and Darwin still missing. Greatest week (for the lulz), shittiest week (for the rest).

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

windy wrote:
Hunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... las-haugh/
Thank fucking Dog, the bully pulpit finally reacts appropriately. Thank you PZ!
I'm sorry, I hope he gets help and all that, but I still have to ask: what the fuck??
dallasnote.png
I don't know what the heck is going on, but Dallas Haugh, a guy, explicitly accuses Sherman of having nonconsensual sex with him, and then writes what everyone sees as a suicide note. So this would be a first person accusation.

Talk about your twist endings.